• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Veldmaarschalk

Cool Cat
151 Badges
Apr 20, 2003
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
After a rather long break from AAR-writing, I have decided to start again with a CK-DV AAR.

The AAR will start in 1278 when the game has already progressed more then 200 years. I have started as the count of Eu and after first becoming duke of Normandy I have made myself king of Ireland, but that also is already some decades ago.

I am not planning on writing the AAR about the rest of the game, I first want to tell the story about a limited period in my game. When the game stays interesting I might continue with the AAR.

I hope that I will be able to finish this AAR and not abondon it, like my previous ones :eek:o

Things that make you go ‘Eu’ !

xixwkqgntd.jpg

Exeter Castle, February 1278.
Godfrey FitzHenry, spy-master of the count of Exeter, had been up all night. Wondering what to think about the letter he had found on his bed yesterday evening. It was a message from his father, the Duke of The Isles. The same father who had just over a year ago had expelled him from his court. Telling him to seek his fame and fortune elsewhere, cause on The Isles there was no room for a bastard-son.

Godfrey knew who was behind his exile, it were his elder step-brothers, Richard and Gerald and the second wife of his father, Clemenza. His father was the son of a illegitimate child himself and though he had not given his son much love he still had treated him fairly and given him a good education in all things military.

But after his father had married for the second time, with a cousin of him, things had started to change. He was no longer allowed to sit at the family-table and he was even forced out of his own room and was forced to sleep with the guards and other servants. So it didn’t came as a big shock to him, when his father told him to pack his stuff and leave. But now there was this letter, telling him to come home immediately and to not tell anyone about this letter or where he might be going.

‘What might the reason be ?’ Godfrey thought ‘why this letter and why this secrecy ?’ He had thought about it all night and the only reason he could come up with, was that his father had changed his mind and that he was going to make Godfrey a legitimate son and maybe even his heir. ‘Since wasn’t he the best qualified son to inherit his fathers domain ?’ And the reason for the secrecy of course was that father was afraid that Richard and Gerald would find out and would try to prevent this from happening.

‘Yes ! That must be it ! Father feels that his death is coming nearer and he wants me at his side, to become the next duke of The Isles !’

‘Now, how will I explain this to my lord, count Godwin ? Should he share the secret with him ?’ Count Godwin was good fellow, who didn’t really need a spy-master. But since he liked Godfrey had given him this job anyway.

“No, no, no, I can’t trust anyone. Not even Godwin.’ Godfrey finally said to himself ‘I will tell Godwin, that I want some more adventure and excitement and that I will go out into the world and fight the heathens in Spain or the Baltic, or perhaps even go to the Holy Land ! Yes, that I will tell him. When he hears this then he will let me go !’​

An excellent start! I am, as they say, on board!

New Veldmaarschalk AAR? Subscribed :). I wonder how CK: DV Europe, with this new pledging system, would look like after 200 years of gameplay.

The Fieldmarshall of AARs is back! *subscribes*
An interesting start. Like the other readers I cant wait see how the CK-World has developed since 1066, especially since I myself haven't progressed so far yet myself.

~Lord Valentine~

It has been a long time Veld, but it is great to see another AAR from you.

Nice start. I like the fact you are limiting the AAR to a set period of time.

d'Eu Family Tree

pngfamilytreeforaargq4.jpg

Dramatis personae

fxphepucnq.jpg

Name: Erling Gnupasson d’Eu
Born : 1235
Children : Ragnhild Erlingsdottir
Father : Gnupa Öysteinsson d’Eu
Title : King of Ireland and Wales

King Erling had become king of Ireland in 1266, after the suicide of his brother, Harald Gnupasson a.k.a. ‘Harald the Mad’ or ‘Harald the Kinslayer’. His father was Gnupa Öysteinsson d’Eu, who was murdered by the occult Muslim sect of the Assassins in 1245 during his crusade to liberate Jerusalem from the Saracens.

His eldest son, Harald, was with king Gnupa at that time and it is believed that this traumatic experience was the cause of the later insanity of Harald. At first Haralds condition seemed harmless, but his moodswings got worse and worse until he got so crazy that he killed his wife and only legitimate son, Halsten in 1264. In 1266, servants found king Harald dead in his room, he had hanged himself. Though it was whispered that some people had given him a helping hand.

King Erling has reasonable administrative, military and diplomatic skills, but his political abilities aren’t considered very high. His wife and he are still praying and hoping that they will get a son and heir to the throne.

Erling is also a very pious person who even his visited the Holy land, though his campaign to liberate Sicily from the Saracens failed when his compatriots, the duke of Salerno and that of Apulia. Double-tricked him and made peace behind his back with the Emir of Palermo. But his piety has gained him enormous influence in the Papal court, an influence which he used to excommunicate the king of Wales, Owain von Franken.

This excommunication lead to a war between Ireland and Wales. A war in which Erling was victorious and gaining him the kingtitle of Wales and the duke-title of Gwynedd.

King Erling is married to Zwinislava Moneta and they have one daughter named Raghnhild Erlingsdottir.

zazxlycbwp.jpg

Name : Torben Haraldsson d’Eu
Born : 1254
Children : Gudrød Torbensson, Bjørn Torbensson and Fiongualla Torbensdottir
Father : Harald Gnupasson d’Eu
Title : Duke of Northumbria

Duke Torben is the only surviving (illegitimate) son of king Harald Gnupasson, he bas been made duke of Northumbria by his uncle, king Erling. Torben is married to Aina van Vlaanderen and they have three young children. Two boys, Gudrød and Bjørn and one daughter Fiongualla.

Torben is a loyal supporter (or so it seems) of his uncle, the king. Unlike the king though, his political skills are rated much higher. So you never know what he really is up to.

Torben is hoping that king Erling will, soon, legitimise him and declare him as his heir. He knows that once Erling gets a son of his own, this hope will be in vain. So there is every reason for him to prevent such a thing from happening.

iqcxiisvir.jpg

Name : Henry FitzAlexander d’Eu
Born : 1213
Children : Zwinislava
Father : Alexander FitzOdo d’Eu
Title : Duke of Norfolk

Duke Henry, is the oldest living member of the d’Eu-family and the son of the first d’Eu king of Ireland, Alexander FitzOdo. His wife is Kunegunda Wlostowic, a member of the royal house of Sweden, they have one daughter Zwinislava.

King Alexander FitzOdo only had illegitimate children but of those he had plenty, namely 7 sons. When it became clear to his sons that they would never inherit their fathers titles they started conspiring against the new king, Öystein. But the rebellion of the two elder brothers of Henry FitzAlexander was simply crushed.

Henry himself raised the banner of revolt in 1266 against king Erling, claiming that it was Erling who was behind the death of king Harald ad that he, Henry, was the eldest living d’Eu more entitled to become king that this new kinslayer. But Henry’s revolt also failed, because of the lack of support. Though king Erling was very generous towards Henry and let him keep all his titles, Henry just had to swear his loyalty and had to promise never to rebel again. This generosity made Henry a loyal follower of the king. But now at the age of 65, he has turned into a grumpy old man without a son to inherit him and a man who might feel that there is just one more chance to make his mark on history.

bnmfxcsbho.jpg

Name : William FitzAlexander d’Eu
Born : 1246
Children : -
Father : Alexander FitzGodfrey d’Eu
Title : Duke of Munster

William FitzAlexander is a cousin of king Erling and currently heir-presumptive of the crown. He also is the first Prince of the Blood and has been made duke of Munster in 1266, receiving the duchy from king Erling, who was duke of Munster before him. William is married to Prawst von Franken, a sister of the former king of Wales, Owain.

Many people consider duke William as a genius, he himself thinks so to. His wife though has a big influence on any decision he makes. There only child, a boy named Drogo has died in his infancy, leaving the couple hapless.

Duke William himself is obsessed with a thing he calls the ‘True Blood’, he dislikes anyone who isn’t from the ‘True Blood’ of the Noble Normans. Bastards, even if they are relatives and nobility themselves, are considered by him as lowly creatures.

William’s dislike for bastards is only exceeded by his personal hatred against king Erling. A hatred that is fuelled by his wife, who wants to revenge her brother, the former king of Wales.

coahwfcprc.jpg

Name : Henry FitzRobert d’Eu
Born : 1227
Children : Richard FitzHenry, Gerald FitzHenry, Godfrey FitzHenry, Randolph FitzHenry and William FitzHenry
Father : Robert FitzAlexander d’Eu
Title : Duke of The Isles

Henry FitzRobert is the second Prince of the Blood in the kingdom. He was made Prince of the Blood in a grand ceremony in 1267. His father was Robert FitzAlexander, another bastard-son of king Alexander FitzOdo. But because Henry had stayed loyal to king Erling in the revolt of the duke of Norfolk, Erling legitimised Henry’s father posthumely, as a reward. Henry had succeeded as father as the second duke of the Isles in 1243.

Henry has been married twice, first to Sibylla of Cumberland who gave him three sons, Odo, who died at a young age, Richard and Gerald. After the death of his first wife, Henry took as his second wife, his cousin Clemenza d’Eu, whose grandfather had been one of the stepbrothers of duke Henry’s father. This marriage gave him, besides three daughters, two more sons, Randolph and William.

There are rumours though that some of the children of this second marriage are mentally weak and physically disabled, a thing blamed on the consanguinity of the two parents.

Duke Henry is also the father of Godfrey FitzHenry and he is the one that wrote him a letter, urging him to come home in complete secrecy.

qvtnilrcgp.jpg

Name : Richard FitzHenry d’Eu
Born : 1246
Children : -
Father : Henry FitzRobert d’Eu
Title : -

Richard is the oldest living son of duke Henry of the Isles. In his younger years he was regard a happy and cheerful person. But a personal tragedy all changed this, his three young sons, Robert, Roger and Richard went sailing one day without approval and also without any adult present, there small boat was caught into one of the many strong currents that surrounds The Isles and the boat was smashed on a cliff, causing the death of all three of them.

From that day on, Richard became a much more darker and sceptical figure who saw no meaning in life anymore.

glvjgkotdm.jpg

Name : Gerald FitzHenry d’Eu
Born : 1248
Children : 5 daughters
Father : Henry FitzRobert d’Eu
Title : -

Gerald is the second son of duke Henry, he is not very liked figure and is hostile to any person that he meets. When he was still a young boy he liked to bully his step-brother Godfrey. Even now that he is a grown man he still likes to bully anyone who is smaller and weaker them him. And because he is the son of the duke most people are weaker then him and even those who dare to stand up to him will feel his wrath.

Another thing that is upsetting him, and a thing he also sees as a personal insult to his manliness is the fact that he only has fathered daughters, five of them none the less.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the nice responses, hopefully I can live up to the expectations.

thrashing mad said:
New Veldmaarschalk AAR? Subscribed . I wonder how CK: DV Europe, with this new pledging system, would look like after 200 years of gameplay.

I use Wiper's relations-bug-fixer, which take care of most of there annoying pledges :)

Excellent presentation. I hope to emulate your succinct writing style in my AAR. The length of each paragraph/section is just perfect, relaying enough information to build a mental picture of each character.

As for the family tree can you point out why some entries have 2 sets of dates?

Good work!

2Coats said:
Excellent presentation. I hope to emulate your succinct writing style in my AAR. The length of each paragraph/section is just perfect, relaying enough information to build a mental picture of each character.

As for the family tree can you point out why some entries have 2 sets of dates?

Good work!

Two sets of dates, means that they were the rulers of my dynastie.

The top-entry is year of birth and death, the bottom-entry is the years that they ruled.

Let's join this AAR, too!

Nice round up of of the d'Eus

stornoway.jpg

Stornoway Harbour

As the small fishingboat was nearing the harbour of Stornoway, Godfrey could see two familiar figures standing on the docks. They were clearly his two stepbrothers, Richard and Gerald, and it was obvious that they were waiting for him. Just like Godrey, they were tall figures, but were Godrey was slim and muscular they were more heavily built. They also looked more like their father then Godfrey, who had taken the looks of his mother.

Godfrey wasn’t surprised to see them, after thinking the whole thing trough he had already come to the conclusion that the reason his father had called for him wasn’t his legitimising, what it was he didn’t know yet, but what ever it was it was something important.

He gathered his belongings said goodbye to the fisherman and then walked towards the two men awaiting him. His stepbrother Gerald was the first to speak to him.

‘I will tell you right from the start Godfrey, I was against involving you in this plan all along, but father wouldn’t listen to me !’

‘Yes, nice to see you to, Gerald and Richard’ said Godfrey as he nodded to both of them.

‘Gerald, for once keep your mouth shut’ said Richard ‘father is awaiting us and now that Godfrey has finally arrived we can go to meet him. And keep your voice down, the people are looking at us.’

Godfrey looked around and saw that indeed a lot of people were looking at the three men, they were just simple fisherman or peasants, and seeing the three sons of their lord in some kind of argument in public created a lot of attention.

Most citizens of Stornoway were either Scottish-Gaelic or Norse-Gaelic descent and they saw there Norman overlords as intruders. Especially because duke Henry and his father Robert had given given a lot power to the nobility and the clergy, which mostly consisted of Normans. The original inhabitants of the Isles were used to having more freedom and had, had special rights and priveliges, but most of those had been taken away. This had lead to several uprisings, but they were brutally crushed by duke Henry and his two eldest sons, Gerald in particular had made a name of himself of being a very cruel men.

The three brothers now left the dockside and up in the high streed there stood a small group of armed men on horses, they were clearly to be the guards of the three brothers. Godfrey could only see, two spare horses, so he wondered which one of his brothers would stay behind and why. But as it turned out, Gerald had to show his rivalry again.

Richard and Gerald mounted their horses and then looked down on Godfrey.
‘Gerald, I thought that I told you to bring with us a horse for Godfrey ?’
‘What am I ? Your stable-boy, Richard ! I had more important matters to take care of.’
‘And how is Godfrey now going to get to fathers castle ?’
‘My soldiers have provided the means for that’ Gerald said
‘Walter ! Show my stepbrother, his means of transportation.’

As the guards parted, another man, hidden untill then came forward, with him he had a mule.

‘Here is your brave stallion, Godfrey !’ Gerald said with a big grin on his face, most of the guards also laughed.

Godfrey decided to ignore the insult and mounted the mule and then the group got on its way. With Richard and Gerald at the front and Godfrey close behind them. After a few minutes in complete silence, Godfrey decided to start a conversation again.

‘How is everything here, everything all right with the family, Richard, Gerald ?’

Richard was the first to turn around, his face which already had a angry expression now turned even more darker. He didn’t say a word, but it was obvious that Godfrey had reminded him of his three young dead sons. Godfrey knew he had made a mistake in asking this, especially when Gerald also reacted, as if stung by a bee.

‘Are you trying to make fun of us, Godfrey ! You know I don’t like it when people make fun of me !’
‘It is just a courtesy question, Gerald ! I don’t want to make fun of you two at all. I also still mourn about Richards sons, but what about your daughters, they are still well I hope ?’
‘Yes, yes, I know I only have daughters, you don’t need to remind me of that, Godfrey. You are trying to make a joke about my manhood, aren’t you ? Now let me tell you this, if you don’t show me the proper respect I will teach you a lesson !’
Godfrey’s patience now started to waver.
‘What are you going to do, Gerald ! Bully me, like you did when we were kids ? I am a grown man now to, and I can easily take you on !’

The group had now come to a halt and Gerald turned to his sergeant, Walter.
‘Walter, you and Osbern, grab my brother so that I can teach him a lesson !’

Godfrey suddenly felt a blow against the back of his head, a blow that made him fall of his mule and before he had time to get up, two strong man where holding his arms. While his brother Gerald was readying himself to dismount.

‘Gerald ! Godfrey ! STOP THIS !’ Richard shouted. ‘We don’t have time for child’s play, father isn’t a patient man and when he hears what has happened hear he will show his ‘gratitude’ in his normal way. Godfrey, get back on your mule and stop mocking Gerald. I was hoping that your exile would have made you more wise but you don’t seemed to have changed at all.’

‘What ! ....... What have I done ? You blame me for this, Richard. I just asked a simple question and then Gerald reacts like some crazy man ! ‘

‘It doesn’t matter who started it, you are both to blame, now get on your mule and both of you keep shut !’​

Kurt_steiner, stnylan

Thanks for the comments

Chilperic

The county of Eu is now just a small part of the kingdom of Ireland :)

Nothing as a happy family for a start... :rofl:

A practical joker I see :)

Such a happy family group, how can anything possibly go wrong?

Pretty much anything the Duke of the Isles says is going to be badly received by someone in that group, possibly all of them. Fireworks ahead it appears.

An most interesting start. :)