• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well there's definitly enougth tension between these lads to lead to an outbreak of violence in the near future. But I'm still curious to see what Godfrey's fathers up to.
BTW Feldmarschalk where did you get those modified GFX from? They look absolutly beatiful.

~Lord Valentine~

Last edited:
stornoway.jpg

Stornoway Castle

The group now continued its voyage in complete silence and after about an hour they reached Stornoway Castle, the family’s home. After they had dismounted the three brothers walked through the main door to get to the private rooms of their father. Godfrey was amazed how full the castle was with men, supplies and other equipment. Obviously father was preparing for something, a Crusade perhaps ?

When they reached their fathers room they were quickly lead in by one of the guards. In the middle of the room was a large table with several stools around it. At one of the corners of the table their stood a big bulky man, Henry FitzRobert, duke of the Isles. Godfrey saw that his father now had some more grey in his hair but other than that he look still strong and virile.

‘Well, well, there you are ! You all took your time to get here ! Didn’t I order you to return immediately to the castle once Godfrey had arrived ? You probably wasted your time in a local pub ? And what has happened to you Godrey, your clothes are all covered with mud ?’

‘No father, Godfrey here was late, just as always ! And he was also drunk, on the way over here he even wanted to start a fight with me, But before he could reach me he fell over, flat on the ground. We first had to sober him up, before we could bring him to you’ said Gerald who was quick to response as usual.

Godfrey’s mouth fell wide open, his father wasn’t going to believe those nasty lies Richard would tell him the truth.

‘Drunk ! Was Godfrey drunk ?’ Henry asked.
‘Yes father he was, I told it was unwise to bring him here. He will endanger our entire plan’
‘Richard, is this true ?’
‘Well Godrey indeed wanted to fight Gerald, but I stopped them and told them that we needed to go back as quick as possible. I don’t know if he was drunk.’

This was to much for Godrey, ‘I started .... ? I .... ? Richard you know that’s not true !’ Godrey unwillingly raised his voice.

‘GODFREY ! Never raise your voice in my presence ! Your year in exile haven’t improved your manners. Now I have heard enough, I will talk to you about this later. Now we have some more important things to do. All of you, come on over to the table, so I can explain.’

Godfrey, still furious about what was happening followed Richard and Gerald to the table, finally he was going to here what this was all about.

‘Godfrey, before I can start, I tell you just once that everything you will hear, here today has to stay a secret. No one must find out what we are going to do. Do I have your word ?’
‘Of course, father !’
‘What good is the word of a Bastard !’ said Gerald.
‘Shut up, Gerald ! Godfrey’s word is just as good as yours. Remember my father was born out of wedlock to.’
‘Yes, father, I am sorry’ Gerald now bowed his head.
‘Now that, that has been taken care of I can start’

‘As you know Godfrey, our cousin Erling Gnupasson has been the king of Ireland for almost 12 years now and frankly he has made a mess of it. And I feel it is time that there comes a new king !’

Godfrey was shocked by his fathers words, he never had expected this.

‘A revolt, father ? But haven’t you given your word to king Erling ? And hasn’t he legitimised you ?’

‘Erling is an incompetent fool and a danger to the kingdom and I am not doing this for myself, but for the best of the kingdom.’
‘But still ....’

‘No, buts, Godfrey ! Do I have to remind you of all the bad things Erling has done ? First there was the revolt of Norfolk in 1266, which he crushed but instead of taking away the titles of Henry FitzAlexander he pardoned him, a clear sign of weakness.'

'Then there was the failed invasion of Sicily in 1271. Erling had traveled to southern Italy, to meet for the first time his new vassals, the dukes of Apulia and Salerno. These southerners convinced him to invade the island of Sicily which is held by the Saracens. But when king Erling readied himself to attack Syracuse those two dukes double-crossed him, they made peace with the Saracens, who paid them a large tribute and then they withdrew their forces from the siege. Leaving king Erling behind with just his personal regiment of 2,000 men. Erling was forced to make a humiliating peace in order to get away safe from the island. The two dukes in the mean time, declared the oath they had sworn to him null and void and became independent again.’

‘And then there was the Moray-debacle, you remember that, don’t you ?’

Godfrey did remember that, it was four years ago and his first battle against the Scottish highlanders of the duke of Moray. A battle that was lost by his father, because king Erling, who was supposed to attack Moray from the south while his father attacked from the north, arrived to late on the battle-field.
Causing the unnecessary death of many of the Duke’s men.

‘And that war was the kings own fault, you know ! Erling had sent some of his cronies to duke Marek of Moray, they were to hand over to him a large sum of money, which duke Marek was promised. But instead of that they so insulted, they had kept the gold themselves, that Duke Marek was forced to declare war on Erling to save his face.’

‘But the war went badly, because of Erlings incompetence but he blamed the defeat of the Battle of Sutherland on me, while he was to slow. Erling was forced to make peace of duke Marek, because other vassals were starting to get restless to.’

‘Well, yes that is all true. But he is still our rightous king, by the Grace of God. And if we do dispose him, who will be our next king ?’

‘Duke William FitzAlexander of Munster of course !’
‘But he hates you father, since you are the son of a ....’

‘Godfrey, be silent for a moment’ Richard said ‘father has thought this through already, tell him father ! Tell him about our plan !’​

Last edited:
Kurt_Steiner

Just a little sibling rivalry

stnylan

Making fun of important people in the Middle Ages often ended up with the 'Joker' losing his head

El Pip

This story will be about love, friendship and loyalty :p

Lord Valentine

Feldmarschalk ! Another spelling of my nick :)

The new trait-icons are from BeBro here

Panjer

Nice to have you aboard

Frankly Godfrey needs to learn to shut up, every time he opens his mouth he just makes things worse for himself. That and quietly dispose of Gerald at the earliest possible opportunity. ;)

A new Veld AAR? Color me subscribed! :D

Plans? I like plans. :)

I was planning on writing an update last weekend, but something else interfered. I will update this weekend.

Cleave to the crown, thought it hangs on a bush... :D