• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

scoutguy123

Pauper Prince
65 Badges
May 11, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
Now I rarely post on forums, the most I probably have ever done had been with my short lived delve into an AAR which ended in me losing what I had written for the second post due to a save error and the game file corrupting. However regardless believe me when I say Lux Invicta is probably my favorite mod for CK2, even when the game was getting updates I would ignore them or quickly revert to play the mod. I want to first say thank you to all the mod team members for their hard work on such a great mod, I however would like to say a few things and just see what people think about, some of this stuff has been rattling around in my head for some time. I first want to start off with things that I personally like or think are good, I think the building system adds a lot to realm management, while I think it can get tedious at times I still think over its great. I like the variety of religions, if you can think of a religion its probably in the mod which is great, it adds a lot to the crazy world that is Lux Invicta. Same thing with the variety of Rulers and countries, you can play as just about anyone and do anything. Now before I just make this a whole thing about just things that are good I do have some things that I think need change or just some tweaking would probably be a better way to put it. Now as before I said the variety of religions was good, and it is, with how many there are it seems sometimes that they feel very similar to the point that some just feel like reskins with slightly different text, I feel like perhaps at least the "main'' religions, like Solar-Imperial as an example, could use some more flavor events and/or societies to go along with them just so there is something going on to make it feel like your not playing the same religion over and over again. I do believe another problem has to do with the lack of societies, it feelings kinda empty sometimes, I feel as though everyone should have access to at least one type of society to add some needed gameplay variety to the current cycle for some religious and cultures where you just sit around waiting for your truces to end or whatever. Next thing I think that this problem has to do with the government types, classical is way too powerful for one, as far as I've played the mod I feel as though in some regards governments need to change, not necessarily about what they are, although I could make that argument. More or less I think that the governments should sometimes be tied to culture instead of religion at least in some cases, I don't know if this is possible as I have a limited albeit growing understanding of Ck2 modding. As an example I find it insane that the SPQR doesn't have a classical government type just because they're Catholic, yet you can have some mud hut barbarian that has the Classical government type because he follows a particular religion. Now onto the map and rulers, it's mostly good honestly, I do however think that in some cases it's maybe a wee bit to shattered but that's just personal preference, but regardless that's not the problem in my opinion, it's a problem with the world as it is. Lux Invicta puts forward this alt history where basically every major or minor bloodline survives to game start, I really like this however the problem comes in the fact that these families that survived basically unbroken for a millennia in some cases suddenly get overthrown by some random nobody peasant because revolts can be insanely powerful. For some, like say the Seleukids, you need to expand a little bit to get some breathing room, however I have literally game over'd as them due to the fact that their population being neither their religion or culture (partially) revolts because you get a revolt risk increase due to being in an offensive war. I find this to be way too punishing and one of the leading causes of realm instability in the mod, I'm fine with it being around but if I remember correctly its like 10% or something insane like that. There are other realm problems I can think of, those being the lack of marriageable people for the AI, and the weird predominance of Seniority succession, among other restrictive rules regarding succession. I have seen many a Great family In Lux Invicta just die out because there's no one to marry, thus maybe some families should be expanded to help prevent this issue. Regarding succession, again pretty much everything being seniority seems very strange and leads to an incredible amount of realm instability, like in my East Roman campaign I am doing right now, The Argeadai of Egypt have inherited the lands of Macedonia because of Seniority. This makes no sense to me, there is no way the nobles of Macedonia would allow some random Platonic Islam guy from Egypt who is only sort of related to there King to inherit the throne when he had multiple sons of age. This leads to realm instability, weird random Enclaves all over the map, and realms that were stable now falling into ruin because now some guy from the other side of the world inherits a throne from people only tangentially related to him. This wouldn't be as big of a problem if you could change your succession laws easily, but you can't in most cases because you need what seems like a million and a half things just to change who your heir is. The requirements would be fine if tags started with an ok succession law, even Gavelkind would be better. If there is a lore reason then that's fine I'll live with it but it just seems to me there'd be more interesting realms if they didn't implode every two seconds because the King's cousin 5 times removed succeeds him with a completely different religion. Now this has sadly been a giant essay bashing the Mod, I really don't like that but I hope it starts a discussion on perhaps some changes or progress for the mod. If there is anything at all I could do to help the mod I would do it, I am a software engineering student and even if its just adding text for localizations, like one thats still missing for the Solar Procession, I'd do it, because I want to see it grow and truly become the Invincible Light. As a little extra bit here's a pic from my most recent go at the Julianoi, I thought it'd be hard until basically every threat collapsed around me.
20210216183602_1.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions:
Wow! I actually read the whole wall of text lol.

As Lux’s steward, I try to keep the mod updated and stick with the former devs ideas. More societies and such will come in the future but right now development is slow. Trying to keep it up to date with every patch and dlc was tough and put content on the back end and fixes/updating to the front. Governments, laws, etc might be looked at later on, but I mostly avoid altering them to keep the original devs content untouched. Also, I wouldn’t know what or how to change, that’s best for someone else. Family members was a work in progress...

I’m glad you are enjoying the mod, I love it too! I will keep slowly working on it as well.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Yea I totally agree with you, again I wasn't trying to bash the mod or whatever. I wrote that wall of text to maybe try and get a discussion rolling about ways that the newer CK2 features could be used effectively and maybe theres some things within that mod that could use some tweaking to make it an even better experience to play.

Yea I totally agree with you, again I wasn't trying to bash the mod or whatever. I wrote that wall of text to maybe try and get a discussion rolling about ways that the newer CK2 features could be used effectively and maybe theres some things within that mod that could use some tweaking to make it an even better experience to play.

Totally! The older devs gave me a lot of advice on how to incorporate some of ck2s newer stuff. It’s mostly time concerns but I hope to get the ideas all in eventually.

Alright thats great! Now if I remember correctly, awhile back didn't the mod team need help with some stuff and you guys asked the community to help out and you guys got a ton of support? If you needed the help would you be open to doing something like that again? I'm sure if you asked the community would be more than happy to help speed up the development of the mod.

Last edited:
I would love to let some people help, but its mostly only if they come to me. for example, someone suggested a bunch of changes because they live in Turkey and have better sources for naming. and another person is potentially working on a map edit.

The mod is at a stage right now where I'd rather not have to babysit everyone. Its very complex and I know what needs done. Not meaning this in a harsh way though!

There's a lot of things in Lux I'd love to help out with. I've noticed some of the Greco-Roman and Mithraic religions for example have a number of errors based on outdated scholarship (the idea of Arimanius being an evil god in Mithraism for example, Cumont originally came up with the idea but almost no Mithraic scholars hold to the idea nowadays) and some of the name lists for Hellenism and Imperial Cultist are a bit strange. Imperial Cultist also appears to have no way to actually create its religious title and thus goes the entire game without a head of faith unless you use the console.

There's a lot of things in Lux I'd love to help out with. I've noticed some of the Greco-Roman and Mithraic religions for example have a number of errors based on outdated scholarship (the idea of Arimanius being an evil god in Mithraism for example, Cumont originally came up with the idea but almost no Mithraic scholars hold to the idea nowadays) and some of the name lists for Hellenism and Imperial Cultist are a bit strange. Imperial Cultist also appears to have no way to actually create its religious title and thus goes the entire game without a head of faith unless you use the console.

Sounds good, if you want to investigate these and send me your changes, feel free! You can join the discord and send them to me their, or post here or PM me.

also, some of the things in the mod might be inaccurate in real history due to it being an alternate history.

Last edited:
Some religion types can have quite an incredibly religious risk increase depending on your laws. For example, with Messianic religions four tiers of laws give them a religious risk increase, on top of their religion already increasing revolt risk in provinces, and giving increased revolt risk for every tier of ruler in the same religion, letting it stack up quite high. Now, pretty much all religious types have a kind of religious law which increases revolt risk, but so far none of them appear to be worth for me, especially considering that your vassals tend to gravitate towards the same law as you, doubling or perhaps even tripling the revolt risk increase you'll get, especially noticeable if you try out Anarchy with a Populist religion. On the contrary, something like Zoroastrian has a -4% revolt risk reduction in it by default, as a result Zoroastrians pretty much do amazingly well in every single game I've ever seen.

Yeah, I have noted that type of behavior, I just don't know the intent of the initial devs.

What are 2 places you'd lessen or remove the revolt risk from?

Probably, like I mentioned above, the Populist and Messianic religious modifiers. Now the problem here is I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be hard to manage, but combined with ruler and province religion penalty this would total up to ridiculous levels. for example Priscillan and Mazdakist giving you a total of +10% of revolt risk in your starting provinces just like that. Add to that just one negative ruler stat modifier, or outright one of the laws which give extra revolt risk, and it gets pretty insane. Like "Middle Francia having almost every single of it's provinces covered in rebels because it fell into anarchy and ruler is a diplomatic disaster". I do believe such realms should be hard to hold, but that seems a bit overboard. You even just get open elective as succession and can't really pick who succeeds the throne.

For Messianic, 4 out of 5 laws just increase your revolt risk. The latter two appear to only work with modifiers, but they basically seem to be applied almost immediately to your ruler's provinces or any same religion vassals. And one of these modifiers is +30% which I'm not sure even a perfect ruler with revolt risk reduction could nullify.

But perhaps a better solution instead would be to increase the amount of revolt risk reduction you get from crushing a revolt, it's only 4% and no matter how much a province revolts again and again it won't get lower. The "recent uprising" modifier is -100% but it lasts very little and only for province that revolted. Funny thing is, if you have slavery enabled, you can get a slave revolt instead and not only the army is very tiny and easily crushed - not sure what that depends on, but defeating it gives you a whole -50% revolt risk. Sounds like a really good deal to keep it going.

Ok. Thanks for the report!

I will check it out.

A thing that has always prevented me from enjoying this mod is the crazy number of revolts. Not sure if this is just me, but at times I would have every province in my real, including the capital, spawn a massive stack of peasant rebels, additionally they would sometimes respawn mere months after being crushed (which is something that isn't supposed to happen, the provinces even receive a modifier to prevent this).

We are currently investigating revolts and revolt risk in general.

Sorry you guys are having trouble with revolts. I am hesitant to change the original dev code, but hopefully can find a good balance between what they wanted and what is best for enjoyment of the mod.

We are currently investigating revolts and revolt risk in general.

Sorry you guys are having trouble with revolts. I am hesitant to change the original dev code, but hopefully can find a good balance between what they wanted and what is best for enjoyment of the mod.

I ended up turning them off entirely. While I like spicing the game up a bit, and religious and peasant revolts are a nice way to do that (especially with the religious diversity of Lux Invicta). The current situation was just unplayable.