• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
ive purged entire star systems of one species... thats pretty gruesome if you ask me, ive also wiped out entire families becuase one member joined a revolt, ive murdered tens of thousands of natives in the hope of one day colonizing their lands, and ive sent in suicide paratroopers into Britannia as germany just to see how long they would survive, less than 3 days if your wondering lol. paradox, giving me the tools to play out my sadistic thoughts

Genocide for example. Or even accepting/allowing people under your command to rape, pillage and loot. -Probably, we can pillage and loot but not rape.

Mass Effect (I think the second one) series had an option of wiping out an alien species or letting it live: that's genocide! As for pillage and looting, you can pillage in plenty of Paradox strategy games. As for looting, that's pretty much every RPG ever.

Mass Effect (I think the second one) series had an option of wiping out an alien species or letting it live: that's genocide! As for pillage and looting, you can pillage in plenty of Paradox strategy games. As for looting, that's pretty much every RPG ever.

Genocide: Yes, Mass Effect allows you to choose an option that will lead, probably, to the death of a species -- in the future. That's rather different then, say, "OK, we are going to round up all the elves and put them to work in the mines until they die horrible deaths", and then have mechanics where the player is responsible for building public support for the policy, dealing with guards who oppose this plan, finding and raiding hidden enclaves of elves, and so forth. The later is what is probably not going to be in this game.

"You can engage in pillage in plenty of Paradox strategy games": There is an enormous difference between providing the player with a wide-open sandbox where they can choose to act in evil, but mostly abstract, ways, versus a closed world RPG where someone has to design hand-crafted quest lines that allow the player to carry out truly heinous actions. Now, if this was a 4x game, then yes, evil would be a real option, but only because the scale of 4x games makes individual atrocities very abstract.

On the subject of looting: There is a good deal of difference between looting foes marked with a handy red circle who attacked you first and looting innocents under color of law ("That's a nice sword there -- why don't you give it to me as a gift?") The latter is what probably isn't going to be in this game.

There are two ways to look at the problem:

1) Do you believe that a game that allowed the player the option to do any of the following would sell very well?
- Introduce slavery into a region that previously didn't have slavery by corrupting (or silencing) influential voices who speak out against slavery, procuring and training slaves, providing security for auctions, and hunting down and recovering slaves for their rightful owners?
- Forcible rape and torture of innocents by the PC (without in-game negative consequences).
- Using gladiatorial combat as a means to pacify a population ("bread and circus") by setting up rigged (for maximum bloodlust / effect) fights of various descriptions
- Initiate, organize, and execute genocide against an obviously /innocent/ race or species.
2) Even if you believe such a game could be a financial success, do you believe that the writers and developers at Obsidian would be willing to /write/ the dialog and other UI elements that would be required to implement the above?

In my opinion, the answer to both of the above questions is "no". This doesn't mean it won't be a bad game -- there is still considerable room for a somewhat darker game without dipping into "true evil" as described above -- but it does make the "You are a representative of an /evil/ empire who has won the battle" somewhat misleading. More accurate (but less exciting) would likely be "You are a representative of an /aggressive/ empire who has won the battle".

Genocide: Yes, Mass Effect allows you to choose an option that will lead, probably, to the death of a species -- in the future. That's rather different then, say, "OK, we are going to round up all the elves and put them to work in the mines until they die horrible deaths", and then have mechanics where the player is responsible for building public support for the policy, dealing with guards who oppose this plan, finding and raiding hidden enclaves of elves, and so forth. The later is what is probably not going to be in this game.
Yes, that's more on the line of the grey vs grey choice that was talked about before, you're not choosing who to kill, you're choosing who to save, with the destruction of the other species/community/faction being an unfortunate collateral damage of your choice, which you cannot do anything against.
A pretty common set up for Bioware decisions, in fact, to the point of having become somewhat repetitive at this point.

1) Do you believe that a game that allowed the player the option to do any of the following would sell very well?
- Introduce slavery into a region that previously didn't have slavery by corrupting (or silencing) influential voices who speak out against slavery, procuring and training slaves, providing security for auctions, and hunting down and recovering slaves for their rightful owners?
- Forcible rape and torture of innocents by the PC (without in-game negative consequences).
- Using gladiatorial combat as a means to pacify a population ("bread and circus") by setting up rigged (for maximum bloodlust / effect) fights of various descriptions
- Initiate, organize, and execute genocide against an obviously /innocent/ race or species.
2) Even if you believe such a game could be a financial success, do you believe that the writers and developers at Obsidian would be willing to /write/ the dialog and other UI elements that would be required to implement the above?
Obsidian has precedent in this regard, which is why I keep some hope for this game. Not many games today do such things, especially in the mainstream releases, sure, but there are examples in Obsidian's history.

In KotOR II (by Obsidian), you go to Nar Shaddaa, which has a pre-existing slave culture. You can choose to either help the refugees better their position, or help the local criminals to make their lives even worse. There are several occasions when you do this, you can force, out of desperation, a local leader to surrender its entire community of poor (and never portraied as bad) refugees into servitude to a local crime lord.
There's another example of a family of refugees whose husband has fled to avoid endangering his wife and daughter after getting in debt with the Hutts (who kidnapped and enslaved the underage daughter anyway). You can both manipulate the guy into abandoning his family entirely rather than going back (and giving him the money he needed) and go to the mother, still crying for her missing little girl, and convince her into selling herself into slavery to pay off the rest of the debt (with the excuse that at least "she'll be reunited in slavery with her daughter").

In Mask of the Betrayer (also by Obsidian) there's so many worse things that you can do, even to your own companions (and especially the good-aligned ones), it would be too long for me to list them all. You can deal with slavers, again, most notably, you can buy a kid from an ogre at one point, then offer him as food to a cannibal, just to get ahead in a line. In alternative, you can have said cannibal eat a piece of a companion of your chosing (without their consent).
You can devour the soul of a good animal spirit and fashion his hide to create an unholy undead abomination.
You can force the tortured soul of a man to brutally kill his one true love, who is also the mother of one of your companions (right as she watches in pain and disgust as well).
You can kill the angelic grandfather of another of your companions right as she watches (who had only come down from the heavens to take his grandchild back home, never to return), then leave her, your Neutral Good companion who has been with you since from the start, to be collected by demons.

All of these events happen in non-isometric RPGs, with modeled characters, who have face expressions and full voice acting.

Agreed -- if anyone is willing to take a chance on a RPG with a truly evil protagonist, it would be Obisidan. And the fact that it is explicitly marketed as a game with an evil protagonist may give them more flexibility than they otherwise would have.

But I still think it is very unlikely that the (very abstract) types of evil that you can do in 4x games, or even the (much less abstract) evil options in offered in dynasty games like the various other Paradox titles mentioned in this thread, is likely to be available in this game. Definitely hoping that I'm wrong on that, though: ideally, I'd like to have options that are so "evil" that I don't select them even though I know that I will receive in game reward for choosing them. MotB came pretty close (based on my recollections)...

Definitely hoping that I'm wrong on that, though: ideally, I'd like to have options that are so "evil" that I don't select them even though I know that I will receive in game reward for choosing them. MotB came pretty close (based on my recollections)...
Yes, truly evil choices empower good choices. Even if only some players pick them, they make the other choices more meaningful; if the character is not forced to do go, there is more satisfaction in "doing the right thing", because you know that you could have chosen not to do it at all, whereas in many recent games the choice is on whether doing it happily or doing it begrudgingly, but doing it always nonetheless.

He had a half sister. He might have had a daughter, but i can't find anything on her.
He had Uncles. Alois Hitler, same dad different mom. Theres a famous nephew at the time that was a parasite. This nephew was half german half english, before the war he tried to blackmail Hitler if he didnt give him money, Hitler even gave him a job in the Reich. During the war he went to the US and started dissing Hitler and tried to make a living of it, he made some military propaganda ads but was forgot in the end. Theres plenty of Hitlers living in the US, maybe not direct descents but family members

Yes, truly evil choices empower good choices. Even if only some players pick them, they make the other choices more meaningful; if the character is not forced to do go, there is more satisfaction in "doing the right thing", because you know that you could have chosen not to do it at all, whereas in many recent games the choice is on whether doing it happily or doing it begrudgingly, but doing it always nonetheless.

Yes, exactly. I'm quite tired of the railroading in other games - even if I might have gone the same route given the choice.