• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
May 22, 2007
In the center of Europe in the year 1516 sits a small unassuming country.

EU3_2.jpg

In a time of war, it's nice and peaceful.

EU3_1.jpg

In a time of fools, it's ruled by the qualified.

EU3_3.jpg

(7/7/6, same with the heir)

Being nestled in the Holy Roman Empire provides all the defense she needs while keeping technology humming along.
EU3_4.jpg
EU3_5.jpg

She also likes shopping, art, and cuddling by a warm fire.
EU3_6.jpg

But Thuringia is destined for greater things. Though everything appears Normal, it is well-known that luck is Random. The dawn of the Renaissance means it's time for change. Thruingia will become known for Quality, Innovation and Freedom. And if the Imperial Crown proves impossible to wrest from the talons of Austria, then Thuringia may be forced to unite Germany in a confederated republic to stand against all enemies.

And of course, if it all goes belly-up, we'll run for the New World and set up shop there.

vivafreedom.jpg

The Thuringian ideal.

After careful study of the Thuringian ideal, our top men noticed two things right off the bat.

But after that, they compiled a checklist to follow for greatness.

EU3_11.jpg

Stage 1: Control The Hamburgers.

The first slider move in this New Age of Freedom, almost by necessity, was to Free Subjects.

EU3_9.jpg

Sadly, no inflation had yet been gathered, so the spare was spent on hookers and beer.

Some of the hookers had radical new ideas that would surely improve our nation, so they were dressed in drag and added to the council of advisers.

EU3_10.jpg

As for the beer...

EU3_26.jpg

it was terrible.

Foreign relations didn't go as well, as Saxony (our cousin!), Bohemia, Wurzburg and Brunswick wouldn't even let our offers of alliance in the door. But we don't need them! We have NEW friends, BETTER friends!

EU3_23.jpg

Hm.

The usual spate of wars kicked off - the Pope vs Ferrara, Brandenburg vs Pomerania, and Bavaria vs Ansbach. All as anyone could predi-

EU3_33.jpg

Oh dear. Perhaps we can take Hamburg another way?

EU3_44.jpg

I suppose....*dons sunglasses* freedom isn't free.

EU3_40.jpg

But our people are!

A few months later Thuringia produced its first magistrate; he was immediately ordered to build a Road Network, much to the disappointment of his parents.

EU3_60.jpg

Our merchants' parents love them very much, however.

EU3_61.jpg
EU3_67.jpg

Brandenburg expanding is worrisome. The Emperor victorious shouldn't be, but if even France couldn't overcome Austria...

EU3_72.jpg

Well, maybe when Russia gets here they can beat the Austrians.

EU3_70.jpg

On top of that our art (and spelling, apparently) is awful!

Fortunately, we are cheered by deliveries of new maps showing some of the seas on the far side of the world.

EU3_71.jpg

And then...

EU3_78.jpg

Last edited:
Time passes so quickly. It's already split up the church time? Where has the time gone?

Sitting in a cafe with sunglasses on, staking out a non descript office building.
'Cause freedom isn't free and neither are surveillance teams... Good luck with the whole picking a church that won't get
you burned at the stake thing

Dun dun dun dun, i assume you will be taking a tolerant stance on this.

Taking no stance just yet, but the Church does support the Emperor...

-------------

Pomerania has fully broken from the hierarchy of the Church! Thuringia waits with baited breath for reactions from the great powers...

EU3_84.jpg

Also this:
EU3_88.jpg

¿Que?

But, since everybody's concern with their own affairs gives us the wiggle room to claim the entire County of Anhalt after a minor boundary dispute (great event, or greatest event?), I can't complain too much.

By November, the Hansa and Bremen had fallen to the Danes and Luneburg became a vassal of Brandenburg. The security of the Empire maaay have been overstated.

Two months later, a newly graduated magistrate walked out the doors of the University of Thuringia (in Thuringen province) and broke ground on our new section of roads. Seeing their possible fate, our merchants promptly declared we had reached "Trade Tech 17" which is apparently a good thing, inasmuch as it means the only heavy lifting the merchants will do is of gold bars.

EU3_111.jpg

Oh...oh dear. And they just declared war on the Palatinate and Saxony. Oh boy...

June rolls around and the Danish control of Hansa shuts us out, tanking our income.

EU3_119.jpg

I think the pressure's getting to me, I'm hallucinating Swedes.

Bavaria eats Salzburg in September, so I decide to shake things up.

EU3_122.jpg

Stability is nothing, 33% more troops might be everything.

Then Trollemia forces Saxony to be their vassal on Christmas Eve, thoroughly ruining the holiday for my whole family. Thanks, guys.

The year 1520, though, lays a nice fat gift at our doorstep.

EU3_127.jpg

Spain did it, because blacklisting some Dutch nobody outweighs the massive spreading rift in the Church. To teach them humility, we're going to steal their plum!

A couple Military Accesses and one Ruler-General conversion (1/1/1/1, pretty spry for a guy pushing 60) later, we are treated to the best thing that can happen when declaring war:

EU3_134.jpg

Nobody giving a rat's ass. Well, Trier cancels our alliance for some reason, but that's no big loss.

It takes a while to march into Gelre when you're hunting for early bird specials, so our stability recovers completely and I kick it down again.

EU3_137.jpg

Sometimes to preserve freedom you have to yell at people a lot until they do what you say.

Impressed by our manly men marching manfully by, Oldenburg swoons and offers an alliance which we gladly accept. A month later we get even better news!

EU3_140.jpg

Event text is putting on a brave face or drunk as duck. I was terrified they were gonna stomp on us.

More news on the religious front arrives.

EU3_145.jpg

You guys gonna do anything about that? No? Alright then...What, me? I can't, sorry, I'm doing what all minors dream of.

EU3_147.jpg

Trolling the superpower.

Last edited:
Did Spain actually form? Serious? That's just ridiculous.

Time passes so quickly. It's already split up the church time? Where has the time gone?

Did Spain actually form? Serious? That's just ridiculous.

I started this game on Jan 24, 1516 just so Spain would be formed and the Reformation right around the corner. :)

Very interesting! I like where this is going.

That's an interesting choice of nation and start date and it's looking good so far. Subscribed!

EU3_149.jpg

Gelre will be pitifully easy to hang on to, so we will. The National Focus is moved and the Thuringian Road Network follows.

Meanwhile (ie, Aug 1, 1521),
EU3_159.jpg

The Reformation is expanding alright, but there have been no religious squabbles between nations yet.

Well, between Western Christian nations. Spain attacks Turkey, cementing its alliance with Portugal and splitting the Hapsburg alliance and England forces the French to release the Swiss and blahblahblah. That's not important, this is:

EU3_163.jpg

Hesse muscling in on our mission of expanding freedom! ...wait, no, they're friendly, so they're helping our mission? Oh well, they have (almost) the right flag for it, so we let it slide.

EU3_166.jpg

Oh what the hell! I look away for a few years and this is what you get yourself into, Austria? The Empire is crumbling, so Thuringia decisively decides to decide about forming Germany at some point in the undecided future.

EU3_167.jpg

And also laughs at non-free nations having troubles.

At some point we joined the Venician Trade League, but our merchants can't get a foot in the door. Austria thinks we're amusing little novelties, so they Guarantee us in early 1522.

Twenty days later, the new Austrian king is elected Emperor. We have a bad feeling that we were a publicity stunt.

Also, remember Tirol?

EU3_172.jpg

We find out that cousin Freddy got put in charge when it became independent! We immediately begin maneuvering to inherit his land with a Royal Marriage.

Wait...ew.

EU3_174.jpg

Erfurt is a college town, so this was pretty expected.

After that, things go nice and quiet, as we bide our time for an opportune moment to attack Anhalt, as Brandenburg guarantees it.

There is a revolt by Gelre..dian? nationalists in May 1523, but that's nothing we can't hand-
EU3_183.jpg

Oh.

As the army tries to refill, Hesse annexes Trier and takes a province from Koln.

EU3_187.jpg

(The red border is what provinces must be owned and cored to form Germany)

We sent them a princess as a congratulations present, and discover something unsettling.

EU3_189.jpg

Johan's always watching.

Shaking off the chills, we discover that Hungary has converted to Protestantism, which prompts our commanders to yell louder.

EU3_192.jpg

By January 1524, we're replenished enough to stomp on the rebels, but our mood sours again when we hear that Bohemia has beaten Poland and taken a province. Then two months later Bohemia Guarantees us, so hoorah, I guess.

EU3_198.jpg

Hm...get knocked all the way down to Full Decentralization, or take a piddly stab hit that will recover in two months...

Hungary decides to crush all heretics in its borders. Thuringia, though still Catholic, has freedom of Christianity in its bill of rights. As long as the Prots and Refs obey the laws, they're free to worship Jesus as they like.

Unlike the Gelreianites, who are punished for their rebellion by having their core deleted being instructed in the freedoms of Thuringia.

Then the Pope finally gets off his duff and calls a council.

EU3_203.jpg

We still take no side.

EU3_207.jpg

This dude is fifty-six years old. He gets a public scolding and a private kegger.

But the good times are interrupted..?

EU3_212.jpg

This game likes scaring me, then immediately giving a friendly hug.

England excommunicates Austria, but the Austrians are so damn big nobody tries their luck.

By early 1526, the time for minor reform is here again and we focus more on Land. Why the completely landlocked Thuringia had any Naval focus at all remains a mystery. But, a Grand Captain arrives, finds our current advisors are more useful, then bums around the castle for a year until finally moving out and getting his own place.

Hesse GIs us right afterwards, meaning that we're protected in all four directions.

Then some wonderful news!
EU3_222.jpg

Magdeburg is reestablished, cutting off Brandenburg from Anhalt...

EU3_233.jpg

Brandenburg can't reach us, Hesse has a Regency Council, and the Palatinate won't help. Ain't I a stinker?

Our little allies Mainz and Oldenburg join in, while Austria merely sends a messenger to say we're in their Sphere of Influence. Jerks.

EU3_239.jpg

Wasting no time with a seige, we storm the castle and demand annexation!

On October 23, 1526, Anhalt accepts and is absorbed. The update ends as it began:

EU3_241.jpg

Forcing a magistrate to build a road in a newly conquered province.

Last edited:
Good quick read! And fun.

Byebye Prussia! And Switzerland! Wow.

I played Thuringia ALOT during beta -- it's a blast to play, but somewhat risky. Should be an entertaining game!

Rensslaer

Holy crap, Rensslaer commented in my AAR. *starstruck*

Poor Prussia/Brandenburg hasn't seen the end of its troubles yet, sadly.

But I do agree, this game with Thuringia has been...well, I'd say it's been my favorite EU3 game. I used to love Byzantium, but its cores and missions are so strong it's barely a challenge. Certainly haven't ever come as close to the ragged edge of disaster with them (in EU3) as I will with Thuringia soon...