• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Subscrib'd, naturally. Huzzah!

But, oh dear, Elizabethan politics. As an Anglo-Catholic (though more Catholic than Anglo, doctrinally) and an unrepentant Anglophile, I'm as conflicted about this period as poor old Bill must have been.

Though I can't believe you didn't call it 'Sherwin Goes Forth', this being EUIV and all. Perhaps that was a bit too low-hanging a fruit?

Anyway, great start! Looks like Sherwin took a bit of a personality overhaul there from CKII? (Same as second-series Blackadder, it appears.)

Huzzah! The sun is shinging, accomaomyied by Nevill!

The update was wonderfully British - Densley, you've done it again.

Indeed it is. I always love a good shinging sun.

Cheers Gen – let's hope I can carry on from what has been a nicely auspicious start.

Yay! It's my country!

Mine too ;)

Good to see you here, Webstantine.

My sort of humour - subscribed!

Good to know, Wyvern. I'll look forward to seeing you again.

Welcome to the thread!

Oh that was brilliant, I think I know you've done a good job with an update when upon reading, my brain immediately interprets your text as being spoken from the mouths of Atkinson, Robinson and McInnerney. I find the AAR works best if you actually try to picture it being acted out like an episode of Blackadder. :)

Thanks Tanzhang. I was reading it to myself in their respective voices as I wrote, and could even see it being acted out in the wood-panelled living room in London. Incidentally, this episode featured scenes from 'Money.' ;)

I'm hoping to be able to continue in this vain. Let's see how that goes.

I followed your advertisement from CK2 It will be my first EUIV AAR to follow. Nice start!

Great to see you back, mnplastic. Welcome to the thread, and thanks for the comment!

Subscrib'd, naturally. Huzzah!

But, oh dear, Elizabethan politics. As an Anglo-Catholic (though more Catholic than Anglo, doctrinally) and an unrepentant Anglophile, I'm as conflicted about this period as poor old Bill must have been.

Though I can't believe you didn't call it 'Sherwin Goes Forth', this being EUIV and all. Perhaps that was a bit too low-hanging a fruit?

Anyway, great start! Looks like Sherwin took a bit of a personality overhaul there from CKII? (Same as second-series Blackadder, it appears.)

Thanks, Revan – good to see you here!

I think in terms of pure politics and advancements in society, this period is very interesting. I'm Agnostic myself, so I tend to steer clear of writing about religion, though that couldn't really have been avoided when needing to set the premise – i.e., a Protestant lord is finally able to set about on the path to fame and fortune after five years of having to worry about being served a burnt steak— sorry, that danger's still there (I doubt Turquetil is that good a cook ;))

Once I'm actually back at my normal, EUIV-running computer, I'll be able to see what events come up and such, then go from there. Of course, if something interesting regarding the reformation or counter-reformation, or any other sort of religious event of interest comes up, it may be used – though I'm sure I don't need to tell you that I won't be straying beyond the acceptable ;)

As for the pun – this is only the second series! It would have to be 'Sherwin Goes Second,' which doesn't make any sense ;) And yes, he has been given an overhaul. I like to think he's grown the beard too, rather than just changed into something awful.

That, and keeping up with his stutter was hard work ;)

As you may have read if you are one to look at responses not pertaining to your comment, I am currently away from my game, and could be for a few weeks. In any case, I'll try and get something up that will be of interest. Maybe character profiles? Or a Norfolk family history?

I'll think of something, I'm sure.

Thanks everyone for the comments – I'm really glad to see that this has received such a positive response already, and am very much hoping that that continues!

Huzzah!

Huzzah!! Are you actually converting the CK2 game to EU4 or starting from scratch mid-16th century? I was kind of imagining that the CK Sherwin would have ravished Europe in the medieval period and made Queen Elisabeth's reign... awkward.

Huzzah!! Are you actually converting the CK2 game to EU4 or starting from scratch mid-16th century? I was kind of imagining that the CK Sherwin would have ravished Europe in the medieval period and made Queen Elisabeth's reign... awkward.

The prodigal bondsman returns! ;)

Considering the actual game only went as far as 1091, there would be no point in converting it, so I'll be starting from scratch in the mid-16th c.

As for ravishing (or should that be radishing?) I'm sure the new incumbent Poncy Bird-Brained Fop will perform admirably in his role ;)

Good to see you here, and I look forward to having you along for what promises to be an interesting ride.

As for ravishing (or should that be radishing?) I'm sure the new incumbent Poncy Bird-Brained Fop will perform admirably in his role ;)

You are turning us all dyslexic, you should put a warning in the opening post "This performance contains made up words and radishing lighting" :eek:

You are turning us all dyslexic, you should put a warning in the opening post "This performance contains made up words and radishing lighting" :eek:

Ha! Indeed. That might well be necessary ;)

In other news, to help plug the gap between now and me being able to play the game, I will be embarking upon some further, prologue-ish quasi-updates.

Huzzah!

Well, slap my bottom with a turnip and a hey-nonny-nonny! I shall be following this AAR or call me a clumpy weasel...

Maybe even Aldriq could retcon Mama Mia into EU4 then all would be right with the world.

Well, slap my bottom with a turnip and a hey-nonny-nonny! I shall be following this AAR or call me a clumpy weasel...

Maybe even Aldriq could retcon Mama Mia into EU4 then all would be right with the world.

I may have just found this AAR's first testimonial – that has to rank up there with the best comments I have ever received! ;)

Wonderful to see you here, Davout. Looking forward to having you along for the ride.

In other news, a second part to the prologue is currently being written, and will be up later today.

Huzzah!

Prologue II

ee5b700bc4f844c1db2211422d1bd875_zps0aaf2f9e.jpg

"What?"

"There is someone at the door, milord."

"Again? Tell them to sod off."

"I can't, milord."

"Look, Turquetil, just because we've been in this situation before, it doesn't mean we have to reenact the same conversation. I suffered enough the first time. Besides, change sits at the very heart of civilised society – which is why I change my trousers daily, yet still you inhabit the same pair that saw you out of the womb."

"I can't buy another pair though, sir – you don't pay me anything!"

"Look Turquetil, if I'd wanted a lecture in the rights of man I would've gone to bed with Martin Luther. Now go and tell our visitor to sod off."

"I can't though."

"And why would that be?"

"He looks too important."

"Turquetil, this ant looks important compared to you, but that won't stop me stepping on it in a minute. Now go!"

"I must say, Norfolk, your servant really isn't very good."

"If he were any good you'd still be outside. What do you want, Sylvester?"

"Actually, I was just coming back from my communion wine tasting session, when I thought: 'doesn't Sherwin live here?' and decided to come in for a catch-up."

"Oh good! You know, I woke up today thinking: 'all I want to do today is have a nice talk with a real prat.' Why are your really here?"

"I see you're still the same perceptive wit as ever, Norfolk! There's no getting past you, is there. I'm here on behalf of the queen, actually – she's rather hoping you will come and say hello."

"Of course. I will be there right away."

"...And then, the most scrummy little yellow rhino appeared!"

"Did it, my little rosebud?"

"Yes, and then— Ah, Sylvy! You're back."

"Indeed, ma'am. And might I say how radiant you are looking today?"

"You're just in time, actually – I was just telling Nursie all about a yellow rhino that appeared in my dream last night."

"It sounds fascinating, ma'am. Perhaps our visitor would like to join us?"

"A visitor? Whoever could it be?"

"Perhaps it's Mr. and Mrs. Smack?"

"What are you talking about, Nursie?"

"When you were younger, my little honeybun, if you had been naughty I'd have to invite Mr. and Mrs. Smack over for tea."

"Mouth is open, Nursie; should be closed."

"Our visitor, ma'am, is Lord Sherwin Norfolk – one of your new courtiers."

"Well let him in then!"

"Are you sure, my little porcupine? You never used to like it when Mr. and Mrs. Smack came—"

"We're not talking about Mr. and Mrs. Smack, Nursie."

"Aren't we?"

"No! We're talking about Lord Norfolk."

"I do love Norfolk! All those cows..."

"Shut up Nursie. Let him in, Sylvy."

"Of course, ma'am – come in, Norfolk!"

"This is jolly exciting!"

"Good morning, ma'am. I had worried Sylvester would have bored you to death by now, but I'm glad to see that you're fine and well."

"Gosh, you are dishy, arent you?"

"I'm sorry, ma'am?"

"He is dull, isn't he? You really are very dull, Sylvy."

"I'm sorry, ma'am. Your royal father used to find my discourse very amusing."

"He used to laugh at anything."

"Indeed. With respect, ma'am, your father's idea of a joke was marrying Anne of Cleves."

"Oh, Sherwin! – you are naughty."

"I think Mr. and Mrs. Smack will be being invited for tea with him soon too, don't you, my little lamb?"

"Lord Norfolk doesn't have his bottom smacked, Nursie."

"Doesn't he? That'll be why he's so naughty, then."

"Be quiet, Nursie."

"Thank you, ma'am. I am told that you are waiting to regale us with some stories?"

"Oh yes – gosh, I've forgotten what I was going to say... Ah yes. You see, Sherwin, last night, I dreamt that there was this wonderful yellow rhino—"

"Rhinos are usually grey or white, ma'am—"

"If you don't stop talking soon, Sylvy, you may soon find that you don't have a head. Now, where was I? Ah yes – there was this yellow rhino, and it sang me an little song."

"Well, ma'am, that is exciting!"

"Were there any cows?"

"Be quiet, Nursie."

"Ma'am, if you would excuse me – I've left my servant at home alone and I fear his odour will slowly corrode the furniture unless I go and attend to him."

"Oh alright then – if you must. But come back tomorrow, or else I'll knock your block off."

"Quite, ma'am. Good day."

To be continued...

Yep, my brand of humour. I'm a big fan of a show called Archer. It's a cartoon about a spy agency. Not sure if you get it across the pond. Anyway, the lead character's humour is very sarcastic, and similar to this, to the point where I sometimes substitute Archer's voice for Norfolks. I know, sacrilege!

Excellent start! Not quite sure where you're going yet, but fun nonetheless

Nursie is even more passive-aggressive that the TV version :eek:

Beware those udder-obsessed semi-senile types!

Yep, my brand of humour. I'm a big fan of a show called Archer. It's a cartoon about a spy agency. Not sure if you get it across the pond. Anyway, the lead character's humour is very sarcastic, and similar to this, to the point where I sometimes substitute Archer's voice for Norfolks. I know, sacrilege!

Sacrilege! Heresy! If you want to affix our characters with some voices, go for these. You'll soon figure out who's who.

And while you're at it, watch the whole series – many of the in-jokes will become apparent ;)

I took a look at a 'Best of Archer' video. We don't get it here (I think,) but what I saw was funny, and I can see why you'd give Sherwin his voice.

Thanks for stooping by!

I have just one thing to say...

MOARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Well, ask and you shall receive! Though not immediately...

Thanks for the comment, Belgiumruler!

Good to see Martin Luther King still alive back then ;)

Also, loved the "sod off". 'T really is a spot-on characterization of Blackadder.

Less MLK, more his namesake ;)

Cheers Gen – that tells me I'm doing something right!

Excellent start! Not quite sure where you're going yet, but fun nonetheless

Welcome CatKnight – great to see you here!

Indeed, these two updates may seems bit incongruous, but they're really only serving the purpose of introducing our characters. The real fun will start once I have some material from the game.

Thank you all for your comments. As ever, they are greatly appreciated.

I'm aiming to get some sort of update out within the next few days – though, considering I still have no game material with which to work, I may have to do some thinking...

Huzzah!

Seek out the wise woman!

That I shall!

Or be you not a tourist?

Great stuff, first time I've read one of your AARs Densley. Enjoying your style so far, not least as the BBC is showing some Blackadder just now!

Welcome Seelmeister! Thanks for popping along.

I had no idea Blackadder was being reshown – that's great news. Not to mention that the third series is my favourite.

Thank you both for your comments – as ever, they're greatly appreciated.

I think I may do something a little different for the next update – though all shall be revealed in good time...

Huzzah!