• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

kraedy

Emperor Tofkas Satto
49 Badges
Sep 8, 2007
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
(note, this might be a screenshot heavy one! 16 screenshots in the first 2 chapters :))
This is being played on Divine Wind with the 5.1 beta patch and no user-made mods - even if I achieve it I won't get the achievement > : D

CHAPTER 1: Escaping the web (1399 – 1401) – done
CHAPTER 2: Exerting authority (1402 – 1410) – done
CHAPTER 3: The Calm before the Storm (1410 - 1429) – done
CHAPTER 4: With Peace comes War (1430 - 1454) – done
CHAPTER 5: To take down a giant... (1455 - 1462) – done
CHAPTER 6: Ryukyu's national pastime: Extermination (1462 - 1471) – done
CHAPTER 7: – (in progress)

ryukyu01.jpg

So I’ve been interested in trying a Ryukyu World Conquest game ever since I saw the achievement for it. There’s a couple of AARs on these boards trying it at the moment, but I’ve been really disappointed with the progress of them – currently the only strategy people are going forward with is to exploit game mechanics in order to change religion and culture.

ryukyu02.jpg

I can certainly see the reasons for doing it – Ryukyu has the rather unenviable problem of starting as Japanese with the Animist religion. As Ming China and Japan are utterly untouchable for a large portion of the game this means every single province is neither an accepted culture nor your state religion (not even a heretic - heathen all around). As an added penalty being an island nation of no importance you have no allies, no extra cores and no claims to... well anything really. If that wasn’t bad enough being Animist means that the entire ‘civilised’ world will have a colonial conquest casus belli on you, even though you’re a despotic monarchy and not a tribal.

ryukyu03.jpg

If THAT isn’t bad enough you have enough money and manpower to support only your single starting army of 1000 men and 1 cog – which isn’t even built yet. Oh and Korea, Japan and a large amount of Indochina want you dead and have more justification than they’ll even need to take you down (and the strength to do it too!). Did I mention you’re in the Chinese tech group with an income on par with The Knights? The result of this being you’ll be taking a good 20-50 years to get your first idea, depending on strategy.

On the plus side you’re under Ming’s sphere of influence, so as long as you can expand to a second province you will NEVER lose a defensive war provided Ming declares – and for some bizarre reason Ming likes you (probably because it’s stupidly hard for Ming to expand and you’re a good reason for the Chinese to get territory from Japan, Manchu and/or Indochina). Though as soon as you break out of Ming’s sphere of influence Ming can and will declare war on you. Also the Animist religion means that with the right setup you can have religious CBs on almost the entire world, and a better-than-average chance of converting the regions once you capture them. You only need.. ohhh.. 900 or so missionaries to do it.

However to me I read this challenge as: Conquer the world as an animist OPM in the worst possible situation short of being a tribal. I don’t see it as ‘Conquer the world as a Hindu country in Indochina’. Taking 2-3 years to play the system and change capital, culture and religion is pretty much the same thing as not playing as Ryukyu – and I don't think it's in the spirit of the challenge. Is it possible to win the game as a Japanese animist Ryukyu? Lets find out.

To this end I have laid out the following goals:
  • Okinawa is, and will always be the state capital of Ryukyu.
  • The state religion will always be Animist.
  • The world must be conquered during the regular time frame of the game from a 1399 start.
  • All options (difficulty etc) shall be set to normal/default. Lucky nations are on and historical, which may bite me in the ass later (looking at you Mr Giant French Blob!)
  • Whilst I would like to say ‘no reloads’ I think this is utterly impossible as animist Ryukyu. Your first few province captures will ALWAYS be non-core, non-culture, non-religion provinces and you cannot afford an army nor will anyone ally you. If you get a rebellion it is game over. Likewise if anyone declares war on you before you expand it is guaranteed game over – Ming will not protect you before they capture Okinawa.

Once I've gotten to a 2+ province country I'll no longer reload and roll with the punches. If I screw up I’ll take it as far as possible until I reach a point where I think it’s statistically impossible to conquer the world, or as much as humanly possible.

On a side note Ryukyu’s first mission seems to always be building a fleet, but you can’t afford the 2 cogs (or 2 infantry to make it worth it) so I’ll probably end up cancelling it before I get a second boat out. So as soon as you hit play the game starts rubbing in the salt.

Just before I start off let’s take a quick at Ryukyu’s starting sliders:

ryukyu04.jpg

• Centralisation is lower than expected so that’s a nice start towards Westernisation.
  • Aristocracy is pretty low as well, which isn’t really ideal. Money will be coming from Trade mostly (after the shaky start) and I just prefer all of the Plutocracy effects really.
  • Serfdom could be worse, could be better. Free Subjects is, of course, the side you want to be on for a backwards tech country.
  • Somewhat narrowminded but not too many slider changes to innovative, again nice for Westernising.
  • 1 step towards offensive – I ALWAYS sit on 0 for this slider as I just find the events for offensive annoying (CONSTANTLY losing forts, bad for a poor country) and the penalties for defensive not worth the slider moves. Luckily there's a lot of slider changing events that fire for a -1 stability hit so this should sort itself out.
  • Leaning towards naval is probably a good thing. The plan involves mainly islands and you are an island nation, so the bonuses for naval are probably more valuable than Land. Given the choice at 0 I’d take it to Land/-5 as that just suits my aggressive playstyle better but with all the slider moves necessary I’ll probably ignore it.
  • Finally very heavy on the Quantity, as an island nation with no manpower. Fantastic. So I’ve got almost no men and the men I do have are untrained savages – this HAS to change eventually, and will probably be my major goal after I have the sliders in place for westernising (with a little dip to Free Subjects 1 first). For anyone saying the extra men from quantity will help: even an unrealistic (and unachievable) bonus of 100% extra men will at BEST give me 1 extra starting army, which I can't afford to buy or pay maintenance on. In affect all this slider does is make the 1 army I can afford for the next 3+ years much worse.

Last edited:
CHAPTER 1: Escaping the web

My plan isn’t too sophisticated to begin with – just look for opportunities to steal provinces from countries that are losing wars. My BB will skyrocket but I desperately need land on the continent. First slider move is a step towards Free Trade – although my BB will reach a level where I simply cannot trade, I need the money now and in a couple of decades I’ll bet setup to make some real nice money from trading. I’m unlikely to own too many COTs either. I’ve also spent pretty much all my remaining money on getting that 1 cog and sending merchants to Nanjing.

ryukyu05.jpg

ryukyu06.jpg

Both of the merchants managed to make it into the COT giving me some juice bonuses (cheaper advisors!) so it’s time to see what we’ve got! Obviously I grabbed the trading advisors as that small boost to compete chance is highly needed whilst I’m still able to trade. Also there’s a rather fantastic 5 star diplomat (note where he was born... o.o). I snatched him up now, even though I have no BB. I’ll certainly have a great need for him soon! :D

5 merchants now in Nanjing, bringing in a juicy 72.16 and putting my monthly income at 7.2 (compare that to the end of year tax gain of 5.49!). With my current economy I’m going to start minting pretty soon, but Master of Mint advisors really just aren’t worth the money when you have a low income so I’m probably going to get a fair bit of inflation. All my money right now is going into stability (or government when I am at +3).

However the entirety of Indochina is at war right now and the mighty fleet of Ryukyu has been built. Obviously I can’t afford any generals so it’s time for Emperor Bunei Sato to become a leader, and he turns into a looooovely 5 shock general – though this isn’t surprising, from what I’ve read of other playthroughs he normally turns into a 4 or 5 shocker. The good thing about this is that in a 1000v1000 battle against the AI you’ll pretty much always win, but all the enemy armies are 4-5k stacks. :( At the very least you’ll beat any army that is built whilst you’re sieging, though almost every non-capital province here doesn’t have a fort.

Khmer is in the process of being torn to shreds, and doesn’t really have any nearby alliances so without further ado...

ryukyu07.jpg

WAR! The AI has been ever so kind and left one coastal province without a fort in Khmer’s custody, though not for much longer. Ryukyu lands and the path of conquest begins. At this point I was about to declare a peace but Khmer only had 200 men left and I figured I could capture all the remaining territories after the existing war ended so I sat in their territory biding my time by taking pot shots at retreating Hindus. With a whopping FOURTEEN men added to the manpower pool/month I really can’t afford to fight any battles that cost me even 1 man, so taking on ~200 men is probably the best I can do right now.

Quite shocking and interesting development that I didn’t notice at first – Ayutthaya (a name I will no doubt be sick of typing in a few months of game time) are at war with Khmer, Lan Na and Pegu. I’m just at war with Khmer. Lan Na is swiftly blitzing through Khmer and liberating the provinces, but they can’t attack me – so I’m just tailing behind them and capturing them free of hostilities. It looks like I might end up getting the entirety of Khmer’s non-capital land – though I don’t really want it that much. It’s some of the poorest provinces on the mainland, and none of them have forts. On the plus side it is a huge boost to my manpower pool and the obvious benefits of getting out of being an OPM are there. It’s also in the middle of 4 or 5 other nations so hopefully I’ll get some free core events.

ryukyu08.jpg

As expected Ayutthaya get absolutely steamrolled and Pegu gobbles up most of their territory. Slightly worrying as now my western expansion has to go through one of the largest countries around, but right now I have some very nice land-access to most Indochina countries and I’ve QUADRUPLED my provinces in a single war! Whahay! Sure they might be the wrong culture, religion and have no cores but I’ll get what I can right now. The culture is always going to be a problem with Japanese as my state culture and the only places in the same group being China, Korea or Japan.

ryukyu09.jpg

All hail the new Empire!

Glancing down to Brunei shows they are faring about as well as Khmer was, sans divine intervention by alliances. They’ve got a worryingly strong 5k army stack (and powerful navy to boot) but movement in Brunei is really slow and I reckon I can get a province or two sneakily. But for now Ryukyu is secure and can no longer be wiped out in a single war. Hooray!

Last edited:
CHAPTER 2: Exerting authority

For some reason I forgot to screenshot probably the best screenshot of the campaign to date. GOOD START. D: I netted all 4 of Brunei’s non-capital provinces, thanks to some sneaky flank attacking with my main army and a stack of mercenaries whilst they were busy killing a siege from another country in their capital.

My infamy skyrocketed to 30.3 which has dropped almost all my merchants out the COTs, but that’s okayish. We’re 3 years into the game and I’ve gone from 1 province to 8. Thanks to the advisor I hired and a 6 dip leader I should be able to burn through that badboy relatively quickly in the next couple of decades – a couple of decades I plan to spend on shoring up defences and getting some form of an economy going. The plan is to build up an army of vassals in between myself and Ming so that I can conquer a few more provinces without having to pay for an army, though with 1000 men that might be difficult. Even if I get trade income going my end of year will still only be 5, and end of year money is what should be used to fuel the economy, not trade. Non culture, non religion, non core provinces overseas generated a whopping ZERO tax so at the moment every conquest is costing me money. In 50 years it’ll be worth it but the first half-century will probably be tough. Largest problem right now is revolts – I can’t beat them at all and have to wait for them to wander into enemy territory before I can take back my lands.

ryukyu10.jpg

THOU SHALL NOT QUESTION THE DIVINE RIGHT OF RYUKYU TO THE WORLD.

I also had a Liberals Angry event which gave me a free innovative move. The slider-changing events seem to fire quite a lot in Divine Wind, and this is my 3rd or 4th already, but the first one that’s gonna help Westernising.

To celebrate my (real) birthday - albeit it 6 centuries early – I declared war on Brunei. Aceh and Malacca join them, with Malacca taking the lead. Not ideal but damn that core province looks like a juicy little pomegranate right now. I like pomegranates.

ryukyu11.jpg

11 days later Dai Viet seizes opportunity and unfortunately for me the first real war for Ryukyu begins in earnest. Unfortunately for Dai Viet Ming does not appreciate countries that border it declaring war on its sphere of influence and suddenly I have an ally in a war that most people could only dream of having.

ryukyu12.jpg

A tense few months later and the siege is over, having increased my army size to a monstrous 3000. Dai Viet is offering me money repeatedly and at first I was going to snap up the easy money but a slither of genius pervaded my mind for a few moments. I am currently at war with Lan Na, Manchu, Sukhothai and Dai Viet. Their combined army size is about 10000, ignoring Manchu. ’My’ army? 75000 pissed off Chinese stormtroopers. Let battle be had!

ryukyu13.jpg

Woo! Tax! MONEY! LESS MINTING!!!

ryukyu14.jpg

Well if you’re going to twist my leg... I guess so... :D

ryukyu15.jpg

Lan Na is my vassal. Dai Viet is my vassal. Sukhothai is my vassal.

Ming was kind enough to wait for me to make peace on all 3 – they received a grand total of jack all in the war. Manchu offered me a few ducats, an end to their interests in Indochina but more importantly an end to their vassalisation of the Mongols. Let the hordes drink the blood of the Chinese for all I care – it’ll be a good distraction. I also managed to capture a cog by my expert decision to join in a massive sea battle with Ming; I totally didn’t accidentally leave my only ship in open waters and get rescued by Ming resulting in my capturing another cog. Nope. Definitely didn’t happen like that (Thanks Ming!)

This is where I’m leaving it right now as the current plan isn’t very interesting. The state of Ryukyu is 9 provinces with cores on 2 of them, and the 3 allied vassals. I’ve converted Siem Reap to Animist though I’m actually thinking I might have to lean towards religious TOLERANCE rather than converting the entire world – but for now my only option is conversion. I finally got an heir with 3 6 6, which isn’t fantastic but the 6 diplomacy is good enough and all I care about right now. Bunei Sato is still alive, which isn’t surprising as I’ve only had 1 or 2 battles where I lost men and it was against some easy rebels.

I’ve got a sneaky suspicion that Ayutthaya and allies are about to declare war on me, and with Ming’s current WE I don’t think they’ll join me. However I’ve got a SMALL standing army and enough income to start increasing it to a size where it can stand on its own. I am still part of Ming’s sphere, but I probably won’t be after the next conquest which is why I’m so keen to get my own army now whilst I have SOME assurance of help.

For those wondering about my inflation: it’s currently 4.2. Not fantastic but it could easily have been 11 or 12 by now so it’s not too bad. 4.2 is manageable and with a few decades of peace (hopefully) I can burn that down to 1 or 2. I’m getting 10.66 from my end of year tax, which is enough to pay for low maintenance and a decent master of mint advisor without minting, especially once I get trade going.

There’s also a rather large stack of rebels on the mainland I need to deal with. I’ve been relatively lucky so far as Ming decided to clean up ALL the rebels in the war – probably about 20k he fought through. I’ve not had many rebellions myself but a lot keep sneaking in from other countries. I’ve also been rather lucky in terms of war as typing this up I don’t think I’ve had any setbacks yet - though this will change if Ming doesn’t join me, or I get kicked out of the sphere and have a border with Ming.

For my future plans here’s a picture that looks like it was drawn by a drunken toddler:

ryukyu16.jpg

1) Vassalise Lan Xang and complete the Great Wall of Vassals
2) Annex Sukhothai and Ayutthaya – they are too weak to be worth keeping as vassals and I have cores on both of them
3) Malacca has been reduced to an OPM. Annex/Vassal them – I could use the bonuses from owning a COT, even if the eventual move to free trade ruins all chance of trading in it. Hopefully I can drag Champa into the same war and take them out together (Champ is also the land to the east of me)
4) Pegu is too strong to ignore and must be fractured to secure a land route to India
5) Capture some rich lands in India. India tends to unite rather easily in Divine Wind and if they do I’m in trouble. Backup plan is to go around southern Africa and secure the cape so that the westerners struggle to get into the East – something which will spell doom if they arrive whilst Ming is still on my back.

Regarding the decision to ignore America: I should clarify I DON’T hate Americans. :) I’m just so sick of colonising America as I normally play Europe and every single country ends up doing it, and I find colonising in general to be a bit boring and arduous anyway.

Of course my approach might be completely wrong and doomed by some oversights that I haven’t considered, I’m certainly not the best at this game and tend to be FAR too aggressive for my own good. I’d be interested in hearing any thoughts from the forum about what I’ve achieved (or not achieved) in the first decade of play, and where anyone thinks I should proceed from here. Hope it was an interesting read so far. :)

Last edited:
Subscribed - looks like an interesting challenge and I agree with you that after someone worked out the swap culture and religion trick in SE Asia there's no need for people to keep doing it.

Will be following this with great interest:D

A great idea; I for one am interested to see if you can pull it off! What version of EU 3 are you using? Do you have DW?

A great idea; I for one am interested to see if you can pull it off! What version of EU 3 are you using? Do you have DW?

Aye it's Divine Wind with the 5.1 beta patch (so even if I do achieve this I won't get the achievement, haha!). Unpatched Divine Wind crashes on boot for me. :( I'll add the details of the version to the top post

As a sidenote my armies appear to die VERY easily against similarly ranked enemies, even with a 5 shock general. God damn I hate a quantity/naval nation :(

Yay! A new WC AAR to follow. Best of luck though it appears you know tons and luck will be unnecessary. You mentioned that Japan is off-limits; is this because they're simply too large or is there some game mechanic in DW that prevents you from attacking one of the Japanese factions?

You mentioned that Japan is off-limits; is this because they're simply too large or is there some game mechanic in DW that prevents you from attacking one of the Japanese factions?

Power, stability and infamy. The Daimyos are internal to Japan and cannot be interacted with. If you declare war on Japan you declare war on EVERY daimyo as well. For a rough estimate of their power, after I finished a Japanese union playthrough (I stopped once I united and didn't conquer outside Japan) I had something like 55000 manpower pool and around 250 yearly tax income alone. Monthly was something ridiculous but I can't remember as I just throw it all into Land investment, though I remember I was only trading in Kyoto which is a relatively poor COT so most of it was tax income.

You also will NEVER get a casus belli on Japan without using spies (which you don't have any can't afford) until they unite, as they rarely ever engage in foreign diplomacy or wars so you don't have any claims to their land and they are different religion so you can't claim the throne. This means you will also get -2 stability (minimum) for the declaration and at least 4 BB per province. And even if you manage to steal a cheeky province Japan will ANNIHILATE you in 5 years as they now have a reconquest CB on you.

Edit:
As a sidenote, just to make it worse. If you declare war on Japan all the Daimyos IMMEDIATELY get an automatic truce if they are at war with each other. They hate each other's guts but they will unite to crush invaders immediately. :(

This is either going to be awesome or it'll be an awesome Hindenburg. Either way, entertainment guaranteed. Subscribed.

edit: not sure if you're aware of it, the penalty for having offense sliders is no longer the destruction of the fort, but a penalty to its defensive value for x months. Similarly, defensive gives a defense bonus for x months (don't know how long)

CHAPTER 3: The Calm before the Storm

ryukyu17.jpg

Rebels are fully cleaned up in Brunei again, at last - I think I owe the bank some money though? :)

Dai Viet has some major rebel problems and they are my only vassal of notable strength. The Animist people know mercy and decide to clean out the dens of scum.

ryukyu18.jpg

The things I do for my wayward children...

This battle was the first 'real' battle for Ryukyu, and boy did Bunei pull through. It was almost 2:1 in the enemy's favour in the first of that series of battles and they had the defensive advantage.. and my men had marched for 5 months through the harsh southern Chinese mountains (after a brief diplomatic detour to get military access from Ming).

My men do not complain - these are no real mountains. the only True Mountains are the Three Mountains of Ryukyu.

ryukyu19.jpg

And as soon as I get back home they are conquered again by even stronger rebels. Dai Viet.. I disown you, deal with it yourself this time. And stop leading your rebels through my provinces.

ryukyu20.jpg

Calm before the storm? Hahahahahahah! Who really believed that? It was just a TRICK. Lan Xang you're going down. Any smart alecs that saw the only battle in the war report as a loss ignore that - it must be a technical error when I took the screenshot.

Champa declared war on me and as expected Ming did not join the war, and shortly after Ayutthaya joined them. Surprisingly good with that previous prediction - didn't expect Champa though, was obvious now I think about it. But considering I JUST completed a mission to get a bigger army than Champa - and succeeded with 4000 men - I'm not too worried about my chances in this one.

Shortly afterwards, thanks to nobody seeing the worth in forts...

ryukyu21.jpg

That new feature that lets you call allies to war now? Yeah I love it.

ryukyu22.jpg

With Lan Xang vassalised I quickly allied them and drew them into the war with our INVINCIBLE armies. See? They can't have lost earlier, even the game says they are invincible. As Lan Xang is one of the most powerful forces in the area the tide of the Champa war instantly flipped and my new vassals quickly began cleaning up the rebels in the area. Awwww cute.. its like having a baby Ming on board.

ryukyu23.jpg

One enemy leaves, another enters.

Ayutthaya fell pretty quickly once their armies were crushed. I used the peace deal to pull every vestige of power out of Ayyuthaya - whilst I could have vassalised/annexed them for 3BB I have a core on them. In the right war I can easily annex them for 0 BB and now that I'm rising in strength I need to watch the BBs - luckily being a despotic monarchy gives you an extra 10 BB limit - a limit I'm going to max to kick Champa's behind.

ryukyu24.jpg

The inheritors of the earth exert more authority - by the Animal Gods this land WILL be mine.

I was going to edit this screenshot to just the event, but I wanted people to see what was going on in the war too. This war is brutal - everytime one of us gets the upper hand a huge stack of rebels spawns and brings us down to size. Bunei is weakening and I fear his time with us is not much longer, yet he is the only thing keeping the army together.

The Empire of Ryukyu shall succeed because we see the potential in men. We do not say "What do we need today?" but "What do we want tomorrow?" Once upon a time a lone wanderer appeared at the gates of our capital, a man whom had no idea where he was nor where he had come from. We offered him food, clean clothes, a bed. We offered him salvation. When the world gave up on Ashikaga Yoshimitsu, Ryukyu had a place for him. The story has been passed from generation to generation and the man has done everything in his power to tell the story of our kindness to our neighbours.

ryukyu25.jpg

His reputation will reach further than our borders.

I also managed to sneak a nice peace out of Pegu - who also wanted a slice of the Three Mountains. They got busy sieging a vassal's capital, so my vassals decided to conquer all their lands. In the end I settled for a handful of ducats and a few claim revokations - I have a core on them now, I can get better deals if I declare war on them.

In the end I had to push a 'Concede Defeat' out of Champa - Manchu brought down huge armies in their fleet and took over all my islands (including the capital, and I REALLY don't need the WE increases) then landed on the mainland. Not ideal by any means but at least it's not a LOSS. Eat it Manchu, you minor partner.

Though speaking of losses... Bunei Sato died during the fighting. He was hero and the tales of his victories shall be so great they will become legend among our people. 16th July shall be remembered as Bunei Sato day.

ryukyu26.jpg

A quiet period involving rebel cleaning and not much else. Some might call it, the Calm before the Storm. ;)

For the first time this century I am at peace and have no rebels (which is more than I can say about my vassals - Dai Viet hasn't been able to field a single man without rebels killing him) so this seems a good time to analyse the situation. Thanks to some very lucky events I've gotten a few extra cores and Champa got overrun with rebels. Malacca regained their lands which makes them an unattractive target now. HOWEVER if I declare war on Ayutthaya and Champa simultaneously I should be able to annex them both for 0 infamy now - something I will do as soon as my truce runs out, which is soon. This, along with the Great Wall of Vassals, will secure my position and make me only attackable via the west or the sea - a sea which I control even without a navy.

The war with Champa was costly and didn't really get me anything useful. Although I gave nothing away I had to get 2k cavalry to help with the fighting, which has pushed me to a rather unhealthy 11.6 inflation. However my BB is burning away and I've now got 15 yearly tax - something which will probably double once I take Champa and Ayutthaya. I've got enough excess funds to be able to let my 4 star Master of Mint start burning through the inflation too, and once my tax rises I shouldn't need to mint much more again. I should also be able to get my trade back up once I get to 5-10 BB.

I've not been counting but I'd say I've had roughly 20 events since I started that have caused me to lose stability - almost one a year. I've had to take a LOT of stability hits to prevent gaining tons of extra infamy or inflation from some rather ghastly events.

Hopefully I'll be able to afford some missionaries soon as well, but with my current policies I get a great 0.00 missionaries a year - I'll have to use my first idea on getting some. Just as a sidenote I'm now officially the most backwards country in eastern asia, as I still have 3 for every tech after 25 years (and 2 days!), and Gov/Naval/Land are all only halfway done (the other two are almost nowhere). Everytime I get near gaining a tech I get a few events firing costing me 500 ducats investment. This is NOT helping me. :(

ryukyu27.jpg

A few days later a new heir to the throne is born - Sho Kimpuku Satto. He's ranking in at 5 8 8(!!). As a reminder the current emperor is a 3 6 6 so he's 2 better in every single stat. Some of our people say En Kanamura I Satto had the child with the Earth Mother herself, and it's clear to see why they say that.

(in case you're wondering why he's already 4 I forgot to get a screenshot earlier shutupppppp). 3 months after he was born he almost died, but the doctors of Ryukyu are knowledgable and saved the child's life. This was a divine test - Sho Kimpuku Satto was meant to rule.

INTERLUDE - THE STORM

On the 17th May 1425, the truce with Champa expired.
On the 20th May 1425, the fight with Champa resumed.

A dual-reconquest war was declared at the same time on Champa and Ayutthaya (a name which I will hopefully never type again). Majapahit, Shan, Taungu and Korea (who warned me) join the war against me. I forget to call my vassals to war, but the Empire of Ryukyu is mighty and Indochina is weakened from the wars still.

ryukyu28.jpg

Well that went rather well.

Last edited:
edit: not sure if you're aware of it, the penalty for having offense sliders is no longer the destruction of the fort, but a penalty to its defensive value for x months. Similarly, defensive gives a defense bonus for x months (don't know how long)

I've already been forced to choose several times between losing a fort on the offensive side or gaining a defensive bonus until 1821 on the defensive side in 5.1b.... I think. Maybe I just IGNORED the options and read what was in my mind because I hated the event so much? I've hit 0 on the slider now so can't confirm this but thanks for the info - I'll look into it!