There should be a way to lose the “Drunkard” trait

• Victoria 3 - Sign up now!

The journey begins, sign up now and get a special in-game item when the game is released.

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning
  • Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!

Liggi

Colonel
76 Badges
Mar 28, 2017
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
Two main reasons for this:

- Characters look like a bit of a state when they have it. I hate taking over as a 18 year old Drunkard and having to look at his flushed, squinting face for the next however long.

- People can recover from alcoholism. It's difficult, but it can be done. Why do our characters in Crusader Kings not have the opportunity to try? The likelihood of success should be modified by Stress, personality, etc. and there should be a limit to how often you can attempt it. But there should be a way to at least try.

There are of course things that should make this more difficult, such as:

- Having a friend or friends that are also Drunkards
- Being a Reveller of any kind
- Attending or hosting a feast while trying to quit

On a side note: it'd also be nice to be able to "intervene" with another character to try to help them lose the Trait. Again, I would put the likelihood of success here even lower than them trying themselves, but depending on your relationship, your opinion of them, their character traits, your character traits etc.

• 1Love
Reactions:

Flockingbird

Birdbath Attendant
17 Badges
Jan 1, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Quoting myself from the thread in the other subforum,
Could even have late childhood/tutor events where the tutor finds the adolescent drunk at the inn, and can choose between various options to teach the child sobriety—or not.
There were other suggestions there for events. :)

Last edited:

AlipheeseXV

Second Lieutenant
7 Badges
Apr 16, 2020
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
I really wonder why drunkard has no "countermeasures"?
I mean, there are other traits which you can actively or with help counter:
- Obese: In decision tab you wil lfind "Try to loose weight"
- Melancholic: Depending on you court physician (It not always triggers, so don't ask me for specifications on the physician), you can go through several meetings and after the last, you see the bright future and loose the trait

pdox should really give to all traits countermeasures, which may occur other penalties, but give the player a goal they can work towards.

Reactions:

Ostermex

Corporal
5 Badges
Apr 6, 2018
  • Crusader Kings III
The tricky part here is that this is a slippery slope.
While you are talking about the Drunkard trait specifically, you are indirectly talking about ALL the 'Coping Mechanism' traits.

I mean, why should we be able to get rid of Drunkard, and not, let's say Flagellant, Reclusive or Improvident?

Do not get me wrong, I like the idea you're going for, and I think it has potential, I'm just saying that you can't do it for one specific trait.

Koyraboro

First Lieutenant
17 Badges
Apr 14, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
I really wonder why drunkard has no "countermeasures"?
I mean, there are other traits which you can actively or with help counter:
- Obese: In decision tab you wil lfind "Try to loose weight"
- Melancholic: Depending on you court physician (It not always triggers, so don't ask me for specifications on the physician), you can go through several meetings and after the last, you see the bright future and loose the trait

pdox should really give to all traits countermeasures, which may occur other penalties, but give the player a goal they can work towards.
You guys get over Melancholic?

AlipheeseXV

Second Lieutenant
7 Badges
Apr 16, 2020
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
You guys get over Melancholic?

It's rare and it seem to directly interfere with your court physician - though I don't know WHAT specifications my court physician has to have.
But what I so far encountered a few times: If my char is melancholic, my court physician may propose a way to counter it. The "way" is to do some councelling with the physician, get stress and become weak over just a few weeks, but at the last session, my char always "sees the bright future and the light" or so and looses the trait melancholic.

Liggi

Colonel
76 Badges
Mar 28, 2017
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
I'm very open to being able to have similar mechanics for other "negative" traits, or coping traits.

The key is that once a trait is established, it should be difficult and stressful for a character to remove it, but they should at least be able to try. I definitely don't think it should be easy to lose these traits. But it'd be nice to be able to play out stories where your character develops a drinking problem during a very stressful time, but once things have calmed down, they have the space and the stress level to try to overcome that issue.

It also means that there's a degree of realism there, whereby if you are trying to stop your problematic drinking and you end up in a very stressful situation again (ie. a civil war, death in the family), it'll become more difficult for you to succeed and you'll likely fall back on that coping mechanism.

Reactions:

Rod Alexander

Sergeant
2 Badges
Mar 17, 2021
  • Crusader Kings III
I mean, why should we be able to get rid of Drunkard, and not, let's say Flagellant, Reclusive or Improvident?

Do not get me wrong, I like the idea you're going for, and I think it has potential, I'm just saying that you can't do it for one specific trait.
I'd say the reason Drunkard may have some precedence over other traits is because it's not a trait gained necessarily through stressful situations. It can be gained through regular events like Feasts and friendly encounters. The opposing traits you mentioned like "Flagellant", "Reclusive", and "Improvident", and even others like "Spendthrift" are all exclusively stress-coping traits that only trigger if going through a mental break. They also happen to be traits that, like in real life, once you get them, you can't really ever truly go back. Those are late-gained (albeit negative) personality traits.

"Drunkard", on the other hand, is an addiction, not a personality trait, which is why it makes sense to include it among other negatives that offer coping mechanisms, like what was already mentioned with "Melancholic" (another term for "I'm clinically depressed") and "Obese" (literally just a person who needs to diet).

Ostermex

Corporal
5 Badges
Apr 6, 2018
  • Crusader Kings III
I'd say the reason Drunkard may have some precedence over other traits is because it's not a trait gained necessarily through stressful situations. It can be gained through regular events like Feasts and friendly encounters. The opposing traits you mentioned like "Flagellant", "Reclusive", and "Improvident", and even others like "Spendthrift" are all exclusively stress-coping traits that only trigger if going through a mental break. They also happen to be traits that, like in real life, once you get them, you can't really ever truly go back. Those are late-gained (albeit negative) personality traits.

"Drunkard", on the other hand, is an addiction, not a personality trait, which is why it makes sense to include it among other negatives that offer coping mechanisms, like what was already mentioned with "Melancholic" (another term for "I'm clinically depressed") and "Obese" (literally just a person who needs to diet).
First off, you get "Drunkard" from Mental Breaks in the vast majority of cases.
Second, "Obese" isn't a trait at all.

And your whole "it's an addiction" thing doesn't work, as soon as you look at other Coping Mechanisms:
1. You would apply the same system to "Hashishiyah" then. That's literally addiction.
2. "Comfort Eater" too probably, since it could be sorted into "addictions". Using a substance, food in this case, to make one feel better.
3. "Rakish" is described as literally "This character spends so much time in the brothel". Definitely an addiction.
4. "Profligate" is "Compulsive spending causes this character to frequently waste money". Addicted to spending? Why not?

And don't even get me started on "like in real life, once you get them, you can't really ever truly go back".
Are you saying that my 25 year old Ruler, who got, let's say one of "Athletic"/"Reclusive"/"Irritable", should go his whole life with having those traits? People don't change in real life over decades?

This is what my original point was.
Do not get me wrong.
I am very much in favor of being able to lose these traits.
But I am definitely against picking only certain ones, while ignoring others that definitely meet the criteria of "being able to be lost over time, with help of friends, blah blah blah"

Reactions: