There should be a way to lose the “Drunkard” trait

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Liggi

Lt. General
80 Badges
Mar 28, 2017
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
Two main reasons for this:

- Characters look like a bit of a state when they have it. I hate taking over as a 18 year old Drunkard and having to look at his flushed, squinting face for the next however long.

- People can recover from alcoholism. It's difficult, but it can be done. Why do our characters in Crusader Kings not have the opportunity to try? The likelihood of success should be modified by Stress, personality, etc. and there should be a limit to how often you can attempt it. But there should be a way to at least try.

On a side note: it'd also be nice to be able to "intervene" with another character to try to help them lose the Trait. Again, I would put the likelihood of success here even lower than them trying themselves, but depending on your relationship, your opinion of them, their character traits, your character traits etc.

• 14Like
Reactions:

- Characters look like a bit of a state when they have it. I hate taking over as a 18 year old Drunkard and having to look at his flushed, squinting face for the next however long.

- People can recover from alcoholism. It's difficult, but it can be done. Why do our characters in Crusader Kings not have the opportunity to try? The likelihood of success should be modified by Stress, personality, etc. and there should be a limit to how often you can attempt it. But there should be a way to at least try.

On a side note: it'd also be nice to be able to "intervene" with another character to try to help them lose the Trait. Again, I would put the likelihood of success here even lower than them trying themselves, but depending on your relationship, your opinion of them, their character traits, your character traits etc.
Could even have late childhood/tutor events where the tutor finds the adolescent drunk at the inn, and can choose between various options to teach the child sobriety—or not.

• 9Like
Reactions:
I agree with this. There should be some way to treat alcoholism, even if it is expensive and stressful and time-consuming and has a low chance of success.

• 1Like
Reactions:
We should be able to lose most of those stress reliever traits. You don't stay inappetitic for 50 frickin years. And if you do, there's a more severe root problem that should develop. Melancholism most likely.

• 2Like
Reactions:
We should be able to lose most of those stress reliever traits. You don't stay inappetitic for 50 frickin years. And if you do, there's a more severe root problem that should develop. Melancholism most likely.
In my games, I’ve found that death usually develops...:p

But I agree, it would be good to have events that let us try to change our stress reliever traits—not always successfully, or for the better. If we resisted our urge to drink or fornicate by zealously preaching abstinence, for example, we might piss off our courtiers &/or peasants, and risk going on a massive binge the next time we got stressed out. (We already have some events that let us replace one trait with another, do we not? Chaste instead of lustful, etc. I play slowly, and have experienced only a portion of the game .)

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Reactions:
You gotta love that every third character is a drunkard. Stress system needs some changes
The stress system is fine for the players, but the AI has no clue how to handle it. There really needs to be more discouragement of the AI picking choices that will give it stress.

Drunkard is weird because there are plenty of events that will give it to you outside the normal stress system, so it spreads like wildfire (even kids can end up that way, if their guardians mess them up, and anyone who attends a bunch of feasts risks an event where they have to choose between offending their host or gaining drunkard, which the AI regularly messes up).

Reactions:
I'm all for more events of any kind.

I think events that interact with traits and stress coping are top priority given the focus of the game.
I'd also like to see different childhood trait events. Kinda boring when you always get the same three choices. There should be a mix. I'm not sure what leads to alcoholism, but yeah I do notice many 18 year olds already have it.

• 1Like
Reactions:

If you want to remove Drunkard, just... stop... drinking!

;)

Jokes aside, I agree. It's really weird that it's not possible to get rid of it. There were a number of ways in CK2.

I'm late to the party on this one, but I agree. There's nothing worse than working (and hoping) on getting your primary heir's traits the way you want them, and then BANG...he/she's a 16 year old Genius Alcoholic.
How did I not notice this when I was raising him? At least let this be one of the stressful situations during their education phase. 9 year old Prince Johnny is reaching for the ale barrel again:
1. Drink yer fill Lad (Gains Drunkard)
2. Slap it out of his hands (Loses opinion of you and gains another negative trait)
3. Begin a 12 step program with him (loses Drunkard, you and he gain 50 stress)

• 2Like
Reactions:
The reversibility from habit to alcohol has stages. I agree that at the initial stage of mental addiction, a person can stop drinking alcohol. But in the late stage, physical addiction, the person will die without alcohol.
This supplement is needed in the disease section.

Reactions:
It should be possible to get rid of all or most stress- traits. Something like the "Loose Weight" decision when you have the "Obese" modifier with different flavour events and RNG- success-chances.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Traits like athletic, drunkard and others could be more dynamic. Your character can already become obese and lose it, drunkness and other character feature could be more progressive too, positively or negatively, even though I understand that those traits are deep into the character, but with the stress mechanic there is a lot that can be worked on

• 2Like
Reactions:
There could be leveled stress and antistress features as well. Like the personalitytraits - Behold the "3 star drunkard"! Stars are ofc bad to grade negative traits but I guess you get what kind of mecanic I´m after. If you have a negative stress-trait, you can choose to worsen it next time you have a mental break, recieving a bigger bonus to stress but rooten the negative behaviour further in, making it slightly worse and harder to remove. At third level, it´s compleatly impossible to remove and your charachter is close to rabiate from the negative behaviour.

To T2 its quite kind and appealing path to go but a further mental break gives no/very bad options where T3 is the only negative trait to choose.
At T3 you can imagine what kind of horrible options you have... Mad, possessed and Infirm traits is probably common and the "mild" ones are to loose whatever good traits you happen to have, including "Genious" and the kind... or adding the counterpart

Last edited:
Reactions:
while were at it, cool how theres no way to get rid of lovers pox. neat how the rejected from marriage bed modifier renders characters permanently infertile, because it never disappears. every other disease in the game can be treated, but not the meme one!! its too le epic!!! got herpes from my mothersister lol!!!!! haha oh no now my heir has it congenitally, cant wait for the ai to render all his partners infertile forever because its genuinely bad to live long, you have to die as soon as possible before your heir can make terrible decisions. maybe itll develop into great pox, a condition that literally should not exist within the games timeframe!!

(if i seem frustrated its only because i am)

Reactions: