• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(28056)

First Lieutenant
Apr 19, 2004
The Years of Rice and Salt: An EU II Scenario (Dev. Thread) (Now w/ Alpha test!)

Hello, one and all! For those who don't know, the Years of Rice and Salt is an alternative history novel that explores how the world would have developed if 99% of the Europeans were killed off in the Black Plague instead of 33%. I feel that it would make for a very interesting EUII scenario.

I know that there have been three attempts before. The first two failed outright, while the third one succeeded, however I can't seem to download it. So, I have come to try my hand at scenario creation.

We may need to make a few changes. First-off, we need to utterly gut Europe. All European nations are kaput, gone, death-by-plague. This also includes Granada, as it states in the book. And, since the Granadan Muslims died, so too should the Turkish Muslims (Ottoman European holdings) die.

We need to turn the Islamic nations into major colonizers of the newly emptied Europe. From what can be gathered in the book, Europe was colonized as such: The Russian Steppe, the Baltic states, and Poland were all colonized by the Golden Horde. The Balkans and Greece was colonized by the Ottoman Empire. Spain was recolonized by Moroccan and Maghribi settlers in the southern areas and Catalonia, but Jews and Armenians colonized Portugal and Castile, these Jews and Armenians being loyal to whatever Andalusi sultan that granted them permission to colonize. France was colonized by settlers from Andalusia. from there we can suppose that they fanned out to Germany, Britain, Scandinavia, etc.

Christianity is not all gone, however. By 1419 (when the scen will start. Unless someone can make it start in 1409, when the book picks up) Georgia, Trebizond, Nubia, and Ethiopia are independent Christian states, while you have trace Christians surviving in Anatolia, et al. This provides some interesting mod possibilities.

For example, we can get rid of FOUR religions, since all the Christians are left are Orthodox. So we can get rid of Protestants, Reformists, Catholics, Counter-Reform Catholics. This means we can place other religions, such as Sufism (the Sufis, according to YRS [years of rice and salt], blazed the way into Europe), Judaism (the Jews were key to the recolonization of many areas [portugal and Castile], and two other religions should we choose to create them.

What will concern me is how we are to deal with the Holy Roman Empire. Get rid of all German states and you'll have Georgia, Trabzon, Ethiopia, or Nubia becoming HRE. :eek:

Tidbits of info:

China discovers the Americas (known as Yingzhou) sometime around 1600 (will look it up) under the guidance of the Vietnamese admiral Kheim. China ends up owning Alaska, the US western coast, and the S. American west coast, along with Aozhou (Australia).

Baraka (Bordeaux), being the center of heresy, was attacked by Al-Andalus. The Baraki fled north to establish Nsara (around OTL Nantes) Nsara became a major naval power, perhaps the colonizer of Islamic holdings in N.America (Basically, the N. American southeast)

Islamic powers colonize The N. American southeast, the Carribbean, and all that China didn't colonize in S. America.

The Iroquois League of Nations becomes huge, getting many nations. By Christian year c. 1953 it controls all of N. America not previously mentioned. This game will only go to 1820, so we'll need to pick and choose.

Islamic European nations gain independence at some point. Nsara and perhaps Baraka gain independence early on... As for others, we'll see. We do know that plausibly, the Balkans don't gain independece until after the fall of the Ottoman Empire.

I work on the map as we speak. Questions? comments? I could use advice and help, especially from those who read the book...

Last edited:
UndertheSun said:
The Iroquois League of Nations becomes huge, getting many nations. By Christian year c. 1953 it controls all of N. America not previously mentioned. This game will only go to 1820, so we'll need to pick and choose.

How did they manage to survive? Assuming that the plagues were so bad as to wipe out 99% of Europe (greater, though not by that much, than the percentage of Native Americans who were wiped out by disease after European contact), and that the Arabs, Turks, and Berbers somehow managed to survive and thus carry the diseases in them (as the European explorers/colonists did), how did the Iroquois et al not get wiped out just as badly if not worse upon contact with Islam and the Chinese?

I work on the map as we speak. Questions? comments? I could use advice and help, especially from those who read the book...

This whole concept chills me to the bone, being the Eurocentric person I am (I am North American, though), but I suppose that only makes it more intriguing. I don't frequent these boards as much as I used to, but sooner or later I hope to chance by this AAR and find you well on your way through a fantastic campaign. Good luck. :)

Thistletooth said:
How did they manage to survive? Assuming that the plagues were so bad as to wipe out 99% of Europe (greater, though not by that much, than the percentage of Native Americans who were wiped out by disease after European contact), and that the Arabs, Turks, and Berbers somehow managed to survive and thus carry the diseases in them (as the European explorers/colonists did), how did the Iroquois et al not get wiped out just as badly if not worse upon contact with Islam and the Chinese?

This whole concept chills me to the bone, being the Eurocentric person I am (I am North American, though), but I suppose that only makes it more intriguing. I don't frequent these boards as much as I used to, but sooner or later I hope to chance by this AAR and find you well on your way through a fantastic campaign. Good luck. :)
Yes, being the Christian of European descent that I am, it also gave me a tingly feeling. I understand that feeling. But it was a great read, nonetheless. :)

They managed to survive because a Chinese sailor by the name of Psin (I think) wandered to the Iroquois and taught them innoculation via using scabs or something. Anyhow, it worked, and basically the end result is a very innoculated Amerindian populace.

Now, I have a problem.

I have cleared Europe using the scen. editor. (except Ottoman European holdings. How do I get rid of those?) The Scenario loads fine, but when it gets to Feb. 1, the game CTDs with no error message. Help, anyone?

Is the crash due to the event file looking for nations you've zeroed?

One of the religions should be the reformist version of Islam that Nsara practiced in the book.

Also, the Chinese do spread disease through the Mesoamerican population.

Prufrock451 said:
Is the crash due to the event file looking for nations you've zeroed?

One of the religions should be the reformist version of Islam that Nsara practiced in the book.

Also, the Chinese do spread disease through the Mesoamerican population.
That could be it... I'll try that, but first I'll have to make a separate directory for YRS, like AGCEEP did. (moddir directory). How do I do that?

Ah, yes, of course! Reformed Islam! That could take the place of the Reformation in this scen...

Yes, the Chinese initially spread disease, but they many are innoculated.

UndertheSun said:
I have cleared Europe using the scen. editor. (except Ottoman European holdings. How do I get rid of those?) The Scenario loads fine, but when it gets to Feb. 1, the game CTDs with no error message. Help, anyone?

I've never used the Scenario Editor, but if you wanted to get rid of the OEs 1419 holdings in Europe, you can go into their scenario file in the 1419 folder (db/scenarios), and remove from "controlled provinces" and "owned provinces" any province number that corresponds to a European province, such as 478 for Macedonia (I think, I'm about 8000 or so miles away from home, though startlingly close to Paradox's HQ....). You're lucky that the OE wouldn't start with their capital in Thrace, though that might actually be a reasonable thing. No Byzantines, no obstacles, and the masonry and stuff is still there.

As for the 1-2-1419 crash, I have no idea what could be causing that, unless there is still some record of the European states still in the savedgame/scenario folder.

BTW, how many of the non-European Christian lands are you likewise purging? Smyrna and Anatolia? Trebizond and Adana? Armenia and Georgia? Or are you just converting them to Sunni?

Last edited:
Thistletooth said:
I've never used the Scenario Editor, but if you wanted to get rid of the OEs 1419 holdings in Europe, you can go into their scenario file in the 1419 folder (db/scenarios), and remove from "controlled provinces" and "owned provinces" any province number that corresponds to a European province, such as 478 for Macedonia (I think, I'm about 8000 or so miles away from home, though startlingly close to Paradox's HQ....). You're lucky that the OE wouldn't start with their capital in Thrace, though that might actually be a reasonable thing. No Byzantines, no obstacles, and the masonry and stuff is still there.

As for the 1-2-1419 crash, I have no idea what could be causing that, unless there is still some record of the European states still in the savedgame/scenario folder.

BTW, how many of the non-European Christian lands are you likewise purging? Smyrna and Anatolia? Trebizond and Adana? Armenia and Georgia? Or are you just converting them to Sunni?
Thank you.

Yes, I totally forgot to remove European nations' files. (.AI files, event files, everything!)

All Christians that were at the start of the game that aren't in Europe or the Mediterranean will still be there, and Christian. So all OE's Christian provinces, Georgia, Trebizond, etc. But in the end, they too shall be conquered. However, many shall not convert. I'll probably have some conversion events, but it will come at a great revolt price...

UndertheSun said:
Thank you.

Yes, I totally forgot to remove European nations' files. (.AI files, event files, everything!)

All Christians that were at the start of the game that aren't in Europe or the Mediterranean will still be there, and Christian. So all OE's Christian provinces, Georgia, Trebizond, etc. But in the end, they too shall be conquered. However, many shall not convert. I'll probably have some conversion events, but it will come at a great revolt price...

Oh, I just thought of something. Nobody controls or owns Rome right now, that might be causing a problem with the hardcoded Papal rules. Also, it might be confused by the lack of a Holy Roman Empire. You said earlier that the book starts in 1409; did it say anything about the extent of Islamic/Mongol expansion into Germany and Italy within the first ten years? Just giving some token Barbary State ownership over Rome could help to solve the first problem (though there'd be no Catholics to have Perma CBs on them). Germany might be a little tougher. Maybe set up a Mongol colony in a far-eastern HRE province like Kustrin or Silesia, or put an Ottoman colony in Krain.

Thistletooth said:
Oh, I just thought of something. Nobody controls or owns Rome right now, that might be causing a problem with the hardcoded Papal rules. Also, it might be confused by the lack of a Holy Roman Empire. You said earlier that the book starts in 1409; did it say anything about the extent of Islamic/Mongol expansion into Germany and Italy within the first ten years? Just giving some token Barbary State ownership over Rome could help to solve the first problem (though there'd be no Catholics to have Perma CBs on them). Germany might be a little tougher. Maybe set up a Mongol colony in a far-eastern HRE province like Kustrin or Silesia, or put an Ottoman colony in Krain.
I looked over the last attempt at YRS, and they had no probs with the Papal States rules.

No, they say nothing of Mongol expansion into Europe, but from the political map in Book 9 of YRS (see below), we can see that they expanded into Russia/Poland/Baltic.

firanja.jpg

Last attempt thread:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97264&page=1&pp=25

NOTE: This map is a map of Firanja (Europe) after the 67-year Long War, which is about a centruy beyond the scope of EUII.

Last edited:
Wait... What if we gave the Pirates the title of HRE? They have an immortal leader, can't be annexed, can't walk on land (so as not to take advantage of HRE's military acces on Holy Roman lands). What do you think..?

*Bump*

I ask anyone's help as to how to use the moddir, (like AGCEEP does it), and if my assignment of the HRE to the Pirates is feasible (i.e. won't make the game crash).

I should have some events by tommorow, dealing with the influx of Jews and Armenians into Europe (Portugal and Castile), and perhaps the founding of Nsara and Baraka. (Nantes and Bordeaux)

Here is one of many events for the coming of Armenians and Jews to the Portugal/Castile region.

Note: The Jews aren't going to be Catholic, but for the religion tags, I'm changing Catholicism to Judaism. :p

#Armenians Colonize Al-Andalus#

id = xxxxxxx

trigger = {
owned = { province = 442 data = -1 }#Algarve
owned = { province = 443 data = -1 }#Andalusia
owned = { province = 436 data = -1 }#Castilla
owned = { province = 440 data = -1 }#Estramadura
owned = { province = 445 data = -1 }#Gibraltar
owned = { province = 444 data = -1 }#Granada
owned = { province = 438 data = -1 }#Murcia
owned = { province = 439 data = -1 }#Toledo
owned = { province = 437 data = -1 }#Valencia
owned = { province = 435 data = -1 }#Leon
}
random = no
country = GRA
name = "Armenians Seek to Colonize Leon"
desc = "With the death of the Firanjis, many Armenians, seeing an escape from the repressive Turks, saw an opportunity in colonizing Firanja, particularly Al-Andalus. They went to the local sultans and asked for permission to colonize Al-Andalus, in return to absolute fealty to the Andalusian Caliph."

date = ????
offset = ????
deathdate = ????

action_a={
name = "We welcome the Khalifah's newest loyal subjects."
command = { type = provinceculture which = 435 value = Armenian }
command = { type = population which = 435 value = 1000 }

id = xxxxxxx

trigger = {
owned = { province = 432 data = -1 }#Asturias
}
random = no
country = GRA
name = "Armenians Seek to Colonize Asturias"
desc = "With the death of the Firanjis, many Armenians, seeing an escape from the repressive Turks, saw an opportunity in colonizing Firanja, particularly Al-Andalus. They went to the local sultans and asked for permission to colonize Al-Andalus, in return to absolute fealty to the Andalusian Caliph."

date = ????
offset = ????
deathdate = ????

action_a={
command = { type = provinceculture which = 432 value = Armenian }
command = { type = population which = 432 value = 1000 }

id = xxxxxxx

trigger = {
owned = { province = 431 data = -1 }#Cantabria
}
random = no
country = GRA
name = "Armenians Seek to Colonize Cantabria"

date = ????
offset = ????
deathdate = ????

action_a={
command = { type = provinceculture which = 431 value = Armenian }
command = { type = population which = 431 value = 1000 }

#Jews Colonize Al-Andalus#

id = xxxxxxx

trigger = {
owned = { province = 441 data = -1 }#Tago
}
random = no
country = GRA
name = "Jews Seek to Colonize Tago"
desc = "With the death of the Firanjis, many Jews, seeing an escape from the repressive Mamelukes, saw an opportunity in colonizing Firanja, particularly Al-Andalus. They went to the local sultans and asked for permission to colonize Al-Andalus, in return to absolute fealty to the Andalusian Caliph."

date = ????
offset = ????
deathdate = ????

action_a={
command = { type = provinceculture which = 441 value = Jewish }
command = { type = provincereligion which = 441 value = catholic }
command = { type = population which = 441 value = 1000 }

id = xxxxxxx

trigger = {
owned = { province = 434 data = -1 }#Oporto
}
random = no
country = GRA
name = "Jews Seek to Colonize Oporto"
desc = "With the death of the Firanjis, many Jews, seeing an escape from the repressive Mamelukes, saw an opportunity in colonizing Firanja, particularly Al-Andalus. They went to the local sultans and asked for permission to colonize Al-Andalus, in return to absolute fealty to the Andalusian Caliph."

date = ????
offset = ????
deathdate = ????

action_a={
command = { type = provinceculture which = 434 value = Jewish }
command = { type = provincereligion which = 434 value = catholic }
command = { type = population which = 434 value = 1000 }

id = xxxxxxx

trigger = {
owned = { province = 434 data = -1 }#Oporto
owned = { province = 433 data = -1 }#Galicia
}
random = no
country = GRA
name = "Jews Seek to Colonize Galicia"

date = ????
offset = ????
deathdate = ????

action_a={
command = { type = provinceculture which = 433 value = Jewish }
command = { type = provincereligion which = 433 value = catholic }
command = { type = population which = 433 value = 1000 }

#Algerian/Tunisian Colonization of Al-Andlaus#

id = xxxxxxx

trigger = {
owned = { province = 429 data = -1 }#Catalonia
}
random = no
country = GRA
name = "North African Arabs Seek to Colonize Catalonia"
desc = "With the death of the Firanjis, many Arabs saw a new opportunity to start afresh, particularly those of North Africa, who were a short voyage from Firanja's shores. Many Algerian and even some Tunisian Arabs arrived on the shores of Catalonia, and, knowing very well that the Andalusian Caliph could crush them at any moment, decided to be subordinate to their new master."

date = ????
offset = ????
deathdate = ????

action_a={
command = { type = provinceculture which = 429 value = arabic }
command = { type = provincereligion which = 429 value = sunni }
command = { type = population which = 429 value = 1000 }

id = xxxxxxx

trigger = {
owned = { province = 427 data = -1 }#Gerona
}
random = no
country = GRA
name = "North African Arabs Seek to Colonize Gerona"
desc = "With the death of the Firanjis, many Arabs saw a new opportunity to start afresh, particularly those of North Africa, who were a short voyage from Firanja's shores. Many Algerian and even some Tunisian Arabs arrived on the shores of Catalonia, and, knowing very well that the Andalusian Caliph could crush them at any moment, decided to be subordinate to their new master."

date = ????
offset = ????
deathdate = ????

action_a={
command = { type = provinceculture which = 427 value = arabic }
command = { type = provincereligion which = 427 value = sunni }
command = { type = population which = 427 value = 1000 }

id = xxxxxxx

trigger = {
owned = { province = 427 data = -1 }#Gerona
}
random = no
country = GRA
name = "North African Arabs Seek to Colonize Aragon"

date = ????
offset = ????
deathdate = ????

action_a={
command = { type = provinceculture which = 430 value = arabic }
command = { type = provincereligion which = 430 value = sunni }
command = { type = population which = 430 value = 1000 }

Last edited:
UndertheSun said:
I know, the command is screwed up. What would be the proper syntax for turning it into Armenian culture..?
command = { type = provinceculture which = x value = culture_name }

plus you cannot add people to a provicne that is unowned, not can you give ownershop if its unowned to anyone else.

Jinnai said:
command = { type = provinceculture which = x value = culture_name }

plus you cannot add people to a provicne that is unowned, not can you give ownershop if its unowned to anyone else.
Thanks. :)

I thought there was a command to instantly gain a colony or trading post. Hm. Oh well. This gives me another idea...

(See edited version)

UndertheSun said:
I know that there have been three attempts before. The first two failed outright, while the third one succeeded, however I can't seem to download it.

I just downloaded it ok... what problem did you have? It seems kind of pointless to redo all the work that's already been done.

wryun said:
I just downloaded it ok... what problem did you have? It seems kind of pointless to redo all the work that's already been done.
I downloaded it just fine too when I tried it again.

At any rate, I feel like it should be tried again, paying more attention to historical events and whatnot. I don't really like how the colonization system is in the last version, and I just want to try my hand at it. (Not in any way detracting from their work, they did a fine job.)

I have one question that must be answered before any real modding can begin. How do I ytake advantage of moddir? AGCEEP uses this, and creates a shortcut going straight to their mod. How exactly do I do this for my YRS scenario?

I am also presented with another problem. I attempt to edit the .inc and the .ai files, but Notepad will not save them as .inc or .ai. I may only save them as .txt files, which we all know won't work.

Does anyone know of a word processor that allows one to save them as .inc and .ai?

If you want a file to save as .inc or .ai file. Just use save as and when you give it a file name make sure you put .inc or .ai after it. Then you'll have ai files and inc files.

to make this work you need to enable in windows ability to view file extentions. for that in the folder you need to select "tools" from the menu bar on top and then choose "folder options" and there in "view" tab on top you need to uncheck "hide extentions of known file types"

Thank you all! I have figured out moddir as well, so now real modification can begin. I have a screenshot that I'm ready to post, a screen of an empty Europe, but I'm looking for a host for the image... Anybody know any good sites..?