• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cracking stuff, looking forward to what will hopefully prove an action packed war between two evenly matched sides. Which is a good way to keep things interesting until the very end. Should you beat Austria I think it fair to say Japan is the world power. Although really that already seems to be the case, testamount to a great game from yourself, very well done.

First up, sorry for the delay in updating. Victoria 2 has been monopolising my gameplaying time (I still haven't played the Civ V demo!), but a game as Prussia has reminded me I have earlier score to settle against Austria!

Very interesting war coming up. Good thing that the Austrians are a WE mess from the beginning. :D

A bit of a shame they're in such a bad way really, but I do owe them a war after their unprovoked declarations earlier in the century.

Why waste stability like that?

He got bored ???

Keep going i have followed you since beginning : )

Thanks FinnishFish. On the stability issue, I figured that Japan in general and Higashiyama in particular are honourable about their declarations of war and would not stoop to declaring against smaller powers to draw the big boys in. That and I recover stability insanely quicky - it takes about 2-3 months at full investment (I hope you're listening, PrawnStar!).

Austria shall be interesting to the least

That's the plan. However, I think Japan might be getting too powerful for any one state to take down. Our tech lead is significant to say the least.

Cracking stuff, looking forward to what will hopefully prove an action packed war between two evenly matched sides. Which is a good way to keep things interesting until the very end. Should you beat Austria I think it fair to say Japan is the world power. Although really that already seems to be the case, testamount to a great game from yourself, very well done.

I think if I can take down Austria and the HRE in a single war then I can call this whole thing won. This is certainly the last major war I'm contemplating and I'm not looking for any territorial gains. If I wrap it up fairly soon then I'm just going to fast forward to 1821. Still tempted to take it to Vicky 2 though.

Opening moves: 1788 to 1790

Higashiyama, May 1770 -

While the intelligensia debated the rights and wrongs of Higashiyama's declaration of war, imperial troops were already beginning the struggle towards victory. The intervention of the Holy Roman Emperor was seen as unfortunate, but in the courts' eyes he had made a fatal error in associating himself with the imperialist Austrians. That certain Asian states had done the same was cause for greater consternation, and these countries found themselves bearing the brunt of the intial assault.

asianminors.jpg

One by one they fell to Japan's superior might, discipline and technology. As with previous local wars, Higashiyama proved himself gracious in victory. The losers were allowed to walk away from the conflict with little more than token reparations and the promise of good conduct in the future.

The generals knew that the fight was not to be won on Japan's doorstep. If the Empire was to prevail, then it would have to take the battle to the enemy.

Removing Austria's prescence from south east Asia had to be the priority. The "battle" of Moulmein was the first encounter between the two major belligerents, although the whole affair was swift and bloodless. Recognising the hopelessness of his position the Austrian general, Otto von Hatzfeldt, surrendered his entire command to Japan without a fight.

outofasia.jpg

Although the fortress garrisons proved more stubborn, Austria's Asian possessions soon fell to imperial troops.

The European Front

As soon as General Kitabatake, veteran of the English campaign, was informed of the outbreak of war he took determined action. Although the bulk of the enemy forces were concentrated in central Europe there were certain outlying belligerents that could be picked off without risking his comparatively small force against the might of the opposing coalition.

Finland was first to feel the wrath of imperial troops.

finout.jpg

In a lightning campaign, Kitabatake sailed into the Baltic and struck at the Finnish capital. Although opposed on landing the imperial troops were able to panic the defending Finns with gunfire from the fleet and were able to capture the bulk of the Finnish army at little cost to themselves. A peace treaty was soon drawn up which saw Finland renounce its alliance with Austria and pay reparations to the Empire.

However, while Kitabatake's men were engaged in the Baltic, Barvarian troops took the opportunity to launch an attack against Holland. Overwhelmed by the sheer scale of the assault, Holland quickly capitulated. General Kitabatake's forward policy in the Baltic had cost Japan her only continental ally.

hollandj.jpg

The war was about to cost Kitabatake more than that. Even before the fall of Holland the gallant general lost his life at the gates of Riga. One of the most daring and accomplished Japanese soldiers of his day was dead, but not before another country had been knocked out of the enemy coalition.

rigai.jpg

Imperial troops were withdrawn to Northumberland to recuperate. The first phase had gone mostly in Japan's favour, but the opening moves had done little to settle the wider war.

The African campaign

Fresh from their victories in south east Asia, Japanese troops under General Miura had made the long voyage from Bourbon - Japan's westernmost colony - to west Africa. Expecting Austrian resistance to be light, Miura was concerned to find the enemy had 28,000 troops to defend their colonies. The Austrians at once attacked, but the battle of Whydah proved their foolhardiness. Austrian losses totaled over half their force, whereas the imperial army was barely touched.

eastafrica.jpg

Over the next few months Japan consolidated her control over Austrian West Africa, annihilating the defenders in the process.

Japanese generals were confused by the speed with which they overcame their opponents. Austria was seen as a major power, but its troops put up little resistance against the Japanese advance. Buoyed by their successes the Japanese general staff began to plan far more ambitious operations.

Widening the war

By 1790 Japan had made gains on all fronts and apart from the loss of Holland had suffered few reverses. Half of Miura's force was dispatched to South America to subdue the Austrian possessions there, while the general himself linked up with the Assault Force - now under the command of the newly promoted General Maeda - which had struck at the heart of Austria itself.

Embarking from Northumberland, the Assault Force had cruised unchallenged into the Mediterranean where it had been able to isolate and capture Venice. The Horses of St Mark - plundered by the Venetians from Constantinople in 1204 - were once again spoils of war. Maeda sent them back to Japan as a gift for the delighted Emperor.

newfronts.jpg

By the close of the war's second year it seemed inevitable that Japan would reduce all of Austria's overseas possessions. However, it was obvious to all that the war would only be decided in Europe itself.

Yay for updates! :)

I did enjoy this a lot. I'm amazed at the African conflict, the sheer disparity of losses between you and the enemy. It's not like you even had that much of a better general.

Looking forward to the great European war! Excellent update. :)

I liked that update. I do have a question though. I assume you intend to seize all colonies that cannot be released, which is good. Japan needs a physical presence outside of Asia, and I am not just talking about allies. I think it would also not be unwise to take an easily defensible European province or two for yourself to serve as a forward base. I would have three if I could. One on the Mediterranean, Venice is a good candidate there. One in the North of the Continent, Holland would be a good candidate if it were not an ally. Also, you might want one on the Atlantic as well. The gist is that you need to have bases for your fleet to repair and resupply itself. That is the best way to make yourself a world power and increase your power projection capability.

2 to 3 months to regain stab just means your empire isn't big enough yet!

Good start to the campaign - better than expected?

I have to second anweRU's question - the disparity seems shocking.

A very well written update again. That's an interesting war, can't wait to see the main European front as the isolated areas seem to be progressing well.

Very nicely done against Austria, I too am a bit surprised at how easily their troops have been defeated by your own in the battles thus far. However you have merely whetted my appetite with these reports of victory over Austria in her overseas possessions, as I'm looking forward to seeing how Japan will fare fighting Austria in her homeland. It does rather seem as if it will prove to be another easy Japanese triumph however!

Yay for updates! :)

I did enjoy this a lot. I'm amazed at the African conflict, the sheer disparity of losses between you and the enemy. It's not like you even had that much of a better general.

Looking forward to the great European war! Excellent update. :)

It shocked me too. General Maeda's 6 Fire/4 Shock, but most of the rest aren't in that league.

As you point out, Europe's where this war's at. Africa and South America net virtually no warscore.

What are your and Austria's tech levels? It seems like Austria is way behind. Your artillery seems to be doing major damage.

As of 1790, Austria is 54 in Land Tech to my 59. A gap, but not a chasm. I think the extra discipline is really helping.

I liked that update. I do have a question though. I assume you intend to seize all colonies that cannot be released, which is good. Japan needs a physical presence outside of Asia, and I am not just talking about allies. I think it would also not be unwise to take an easily defensible European province or two for yourself to serve as a forward base. I would have three if I could. One on the Mediterranean, Venice is a good candidate there. One in the North of the Continent, Holland would be a good candidate if it were not an ally. Also, you might want one on the Atlantic as well. The gist is that you need to have bases for your fleet to repair and resupply itself. That is the best way to make yourself a world power and increase your power projection capability.

On a personal note I agree with all that you say. However, I'm RP-ing this from Higashiyama's point of view and he's really buying in to the whole self-determination thing. The only province we're looking for out of this war is Moulmein, and that's only because I can't release it as it's core-owner still exists.

2 to 3 months to regain stab just means your empire isn't big enough yet!

Good start to the campaign - better than expected?

I like to think it means Japan's the anti-Horde, but there you go.

Much better start than I expected, although we haven't got to the proper fighting yet. The relative lack of an opposing navy has meant I haven't had to play whack-a-mole with annoyingly tiny sieges of outlying islands.

I have to second anweRU's question - the disparity seems shocking.

A very well written update again. That's an interesting war, can't wait to see the main European front as the isolated areas seem to be progressing well.

European theatre coming up! Isolated areas are basically me showing off my naval superiority. If I had thought about it I'd have just bypassed them, but I got all tangled up in a Britain in the Seven Years' War vibe.

Truer words hath ne'er been spoken.

What can I say? I'm no good at reckless expansion - I just don't have it in me.

Very nicely done against Austria, I too am a bit surprised at how easily their troops have been defeated by your own in the battles thus far. However you have merely whetted my appetite with these reports of victory over Austria in her overseas possessions, as I'm looking forward to seeing how Japan will fare fighting Austria in her homeland. It does rather seem as if it will prove to be another easy Japanese triumph however!

That's the kind of thinking that gets you into trouble...

What about when Kebzero made the whole world Chihan? His stab costs were insanely low.

'Insane' is a term that sums up that whole AAR. It's a magnificent achievement and a way of breaking the game all in one.

Triumph and Disaster: 1790 to 1795

Higashiyama, May 1770 -

As the war neared the close of its second year, Japanese forces had yet to build up their full strength in mainland Europe. A few Austrian allies had been pressured out of the war, but the same was true of the Netherlands, which had fallen to determined attacks from Bavaria.

status1790.jpg

Although Japan had the indisputable edge at sea, the coalition ranged against her could bring far more troops to bear. What's worse, these were mainly concentrated in Europe, while Japan's forces were scattered across the globe.

The American campaign

Indeed, it was the Americas that saw the greatest successes of the war's middle stages. With Austrian West Africa under Japanese control, Imperial forces were dispatched to South America and quickly subdued the opposition, fighting as far south as the tip of the continent.

Eventually reaching the Caribbean, an island-hopping campaign began to eliminate the Austrian presence.

caribbeancampaign.jpg

However, during these operations disaster struck. Weary after the constant naval operations, Japanese forces were pounced upon by a numerically inferior but well-rested Austrian fleet. Although the majority of Japan's warships were able to escape what had become a losing battle, 15 transports were sunk in a rout that put paid to Japanese hopes of a swift resolution in the Atlantic.
Fortuitously, Japanese troops were ashore before the battle began, but the generals who had been counting on freeing up more men to fight in Europe were dismayed to learn that they had to make do with what they had. In the heart of the Empire, orders were given to lay down new transports, replace the losses in warships and add ten threedeckers to the navy.

The European theatre

Operations in southern Europe had begun with Japanese landings securing Venice and Austrian central Italy as bases for the Imperial fleet. However, news soon reached the newly-promoted Field Marshal Maeda that the Austrians had gathered unprecedented numbers of troops to oppose further Japanese thrusts.

monsterstack.jpg

The Austrian army - led by Emperor Franz II himself - not only dwarfed Imperial troops in theater: it was larger than the entire allied war effort. Despite its tremendous strength, Maeda gambled that such a gigantic force would be unwieldy. He laid plans to strike at Austrian posessions in the Balkans, hoping to force the enemy to split their army and thus open themselves to being defeated in detail.

On the home front, evolving government practice and the pressures of war combined to produce new avenues of promotion for promising soldiers.

commissions.jpg

It was already the case that officers were no longer drawn exclusively from the high nobility, but Higashiyama had been concerned for some time that his reforms might simply substitute one aristocracy for another. The Emperor therefore decreed that anyone who had shown conspicuous skill and bravery might be eligible for a field promotion for the duration of the current war. As such a commission had to be approved by a commanding officer, the change still favoured the upper and middle classes, but nevertheless the Japanese army now offered far greater upward mobility than once it had. The effects results were slow in coming, but Higashiyama's reforms gradually produced an army of even greater professionalism.

The Balkan campaign

Maeda's invasion of Croatia failed to provoke an Austrian response, so the Field Marshal settled down to occupy provinces and consolidate his gains while waiting for the arrival of the much-delayed Americas force.

However, the extension of war to mainland Austria did produce one unexpected effect - on 7 November 1793 the Russians joined the war.

vultures.jpg

Although Japan and Russia did not sign a formal alliance, the opening up of another front was taken as a positive sign by Japanese high command.

It was not the only one. As Japanese forces slowly expanded their Balkan bridgehead they won victory after victory against Austrian and Bavarian troops.

falsehope.jpg

The crushing defeats inflicted by Imperial troops generated in them a contempt for enemies who hitherto had been seen as worthy of greater respect.

Desperate to evict Japanese forces, both Austria and Bavaria committed thousand of soldiers, but every time they were checked and repulsed.

Field Marshal Maeda and General Miura began to view their forces as invincible. The Russians - once a blessed source of relief - were now seen as dangerous rivals whom Japan would have to outstrip in order to gain a free hand in dictating terms to Austria.

Japanese efforts were redoubled, and in 1794 the city of Vienna itself fell to Imperial forces. The loss of their capital stung the Austrian army out of its complacency and it began to move to engage Maeda's forces. Two years earlier and this would have provoked a swift withdrawal, but after so many crushing victories the Field Marshal could not believe even 200,000 Austrians could threaten his 40,000 troops.

steiermark.jpg

NB - Not sure why these casualties figures are so off, but I had to reload in the middle of the battle, so that might have something to do with it.

The Battle of Steiermark was to prove him very wrong. Although individual Japanese soldiers were more than a match for their Austrian counterparts, they were overwhelmed by sheer force of numbers. With all his forces in full retreat, Maeda's Balkan campaign was unravelling before his eyes.

That is a monstrous army...250,000 troops at full strength. That's just a horrific tidal wave of enemies!

I hope that you can fight back and restore the situation!

A 253 K stack? :eek: I strongly believe that's the largest I've ever seen. But of course, it's not a smart move to have so many men in one stack. You still cause more casualties - you'll be able to beat them if you can find the time and space to avoid them long enough to regain morale.

As of 1790, Austria is 54 in Land Tech to my 59. A gap, but not a chasm. I think the extra discipline is really helping.

The gap might look small by numbers alone, but you're on different sides of the threshold (Land Tech 58) for the final Military Tactics level. That makes a big difference in casualties - along with discipline of course, like you said.

Now that is what I called a stack of death! Quite a surprising reverse considering that everything had been going very well until then. Its nice to see that the AI can still prove a bit of a challenge this last on however. I assume that you have enough of a peace score for a good peace deal regardless. If not, well, I'm sure Austria shall be suffering defeat soon enough once again!

Mexico! I don't see that one form too often. :)

Speaking of doomstacks and attrition, in the late game, do you still bother to "march separately, fight together" to minimise attrition, or is it not much of a factor by now?