• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Refineus

Captain
17 Badges
Jun 16, 2018
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
In the campaign briefs.xlm there is a few locations on the map not available and this is a lore question where those locations potentially could be located. I added several myself like Horn of Kesh, Umbura Jungle, Drakar Oasis.

It required to have play through all previous titles Age of Wonders 1, Age of Wonder 2 and Age of Wonders: Shadow magic to understand where the following location is on the world map.

Following locations were translated and added to the game by the developers but never placed on the world map:
  • Ashen Steppe (I placed on the map south of Ralikesh, could be north aswell)
  • Sobek Peninsula (Placed it, South of Elven court
  • Serpent River (Placed south of Elven court, The river running east of united cities and south of Elven Court)
  • Blackwater Lake (Placed at the end of Serpent River)
  • Trollrock Woods (Placed North-east of Sylvanus
  • Isle of Burbatak (Should be placed little more to the right and below the little island
  • Pass of Grief (Maybe not possible to place as it should overlap North-west of text Valley of Wonders)

Now the following locations were also translated and added to the game by the developers. But to my knowledge, I have not managed to discover the whereabouts of these locations digging through the lore. Someone else that knows where the following locations could be and where they could be located on the map?
  • Fields of Hinn
  • Carnas Bay
  • Simra Desert
  • Blacklands
  • Dragon Spine

20191025090340_1.jpg

Nice map! Is it possible to have additional maps with the Golden Realms and Eternal Lords locations and/or merge them into one map, and have all the known locations on them? Then we could add that to the Wikia.

Both yes and no. The thing with the map from Golden Realms, for example, is that it's "Aldor" on the left side of the map. Then the map on Golden realms is locally increased with 5 times and zoomed in. Eternal lords could be added by slightly creating new lands north and apply it.

Are you sure about Blackwater lake collecting Serpent River's waters? I thought it was the sea and the Human realm of Nimue.

Yes I compare this location from AOW1 world map.

Serpent river end by Blackwater lake.
valleyofwonders_names.jpg

I'd say that, on the AoW1 map, it looks like it is north of Ralikesh.

I have been quite leary to put it above Ralikesh, as I believe that Ashen Steppe could be quite bigger than it is. Story-wise it would make sense for the story in this campaign to adjust it north of Ralikesh. It would give me more freedom to integrate Ashen Steppe in the story than if it would be below Ralikesh.

One thing I could do is to adjust and lower Ralikesh and increase Ashen Steppe in size. However, it might not make sense.

Any insight on this topic @Draxynnic ?

I think if you compare the maps, the Ashen Steppe is part of Ralikesh. Comparing the maps, Terstar and the island-continent of the Orcs in AoW1 seem to have sunk and been replaced by the Sapphire Archipelago (I blame the Wizards), while the land mass southeast of the Sobek Peninsula is labelled as the Ashen Steppe in AoW1 and Ralikesh in AoW3. It's possible that they're two different names for the same region in different periods, or the Ashen Steppe could be a specific region in Ralikesh.

I think if you compare the maps, the Ashen Steppe is part of Ralikesh. Comparing the maps, Terstar and the island-continent of the Orcs in AoW1 seem to have sunk and been replaced by the Sapphire Archipelago (I blame the Wizards), while the land mass southeast of the Sobek Peninsula is labelled as the Ashen Steppe in AoW1 and Ralikesh in AoW3. It's possible that they're two different names for the same region in different periods, or the Ashen Steppe could be a specific region in Ralikesh.

Alright. I could probably reposition Ashen Steppe and think about the location as a whole in my project campaign.

Any insight on the names?
  • Fields of Hinn
  • Carnas Bay
  • Simra Desert
  • Blacklands
  • Dragon Spine
I believe only the developers may know where to place those locations as they were meant to be added on the world map when AoW III was in development, they were added later in the campaign.xlm so I believe they might forget about it or left them out on purpose.

I rearranged the locations a little. I believe "Blacklands" actually could be a location replacing the "Shadowlands" in the Age of wonder: Shadow Magic. I'm not entirely sure, if this is the case then Blacklands is located in the south-east corner of Stronghelm or below Sunbirth ruins somewhere.

20191102180514_1.jpg

Ashen's steppe are quite near the coast like this last update, what happened to the two big orc islands, they were shattered and became the archipelago?

I think they sank at some point. There are some Orc cities on the fourth map of Elven Court campaign and it could very well be so, that it's leftovers of their strongholds. However, I just make some speculation that is what happened.