• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hive said:
Nice and Fyn. :cool:

Your map have a lot of good things, I must say. The best custom map I've seen so far, definately. Of course, I don't agree with *all* your decisions - like only giving Naples 2 provinces, making the Bulgaria province stretch to the sea, etc - but all in all, it's a damn impressive map. :)

It almost makes me consider going back to EU2 and AoI... :eek:
Just wait till it will pull you back, you cannot just drop Eu2 addiction like that :D
About Naples - I could have of course give it 7 provs as MKJ did but what for? The only thing Naples is supposed to do is to get annexed by Aragon/Spain and well all know that ai will try very hard to do something stupid before that, like eating half of Italy, and a lot of provinces will really help it. Perhaps the only thing to do would be to give it a 3rd province and then make all these provinces very poor... Bulgarian borders are to represent the post 1878 situation. Splitting Bulgaria would be possible but then OE would probably receive just too many provinces of wrong religion and culture in the beginning, so I'm not convinced that's really needed. Also, these provs would be then rather small and I would be asking for heavens wrath that I did leave such big provs in Spain, France, Poland or whatever other godforgotten country, while giving it all to some Bulgaria that did not even exist during the gamespan :p

Birger said:
Looking great Kasperus!

The PTI between Finland and Novgorod looks a bit weird tho'...
Weird like in being wrong shaped or being there at all? As to the last I based it on the discussion in this thread: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186204&page=5&pp=25 and my wish to prevent unhistorical warfare in Kola and Karelia and all the idiotic situations it leads to during any standard game. I pulled it down to Viborg to make that strategically a key province - Sweden needs to keep it if it wants to expand to the east (or go by sea), Russia needs to take it to get into Scandinavia. Pretty much what historically happened (well, and there was some congress of Vienna but that's event-worthy stuff anyway ;))

Kasperus said:
Weird like in being wrong shaped or being there at all? As to the last I based it on the discussion in this thread: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186204&page=5&pp=25 and my wish to prevent unhistorical warfare in Kola and Karelia and all the idiotic situations it leads to during any standard game. I pulled it down to Viborg to make that strategically a key province - Sweden needs to keep it if it wants to expand to the east (or go by sea), Russia needs to take it to get into Scandinavia. Pretty much what historically happened (well, and there was some congress of Vienna but that's event-worthy stuff anyway ;))

Great ideas, just thought it looked weird. :)

The graphical part of the map is essentially finished for now. I left some parts unmodified so they keep original shading. This affects the following landzones: St Helena, Bourbon, Mauritius, Aleutes and Hawaii, and the following sea's: south Atlantic, north and east pacific south Indian ocean. It means these zones keep original pdox shading and form. I might adjust them in the future but right now I want to finally start reworking the province.csv

Some last screenies, from in-game as I don't have very usable grayscale versions.

Some Indian modifications
watk1.gif

Oceania. Added Tonga and Samoa here and redid New Zealand.
watk2.gif

Micronesia. Some, ahum, extremely important island-chains :D
watk3.gif

Europe will require a bit of work as this screenie shows...
watk4.gif

Clickability in the Carribean region in standard zoom, on 800x600... judge for yourself
watk5.gif

If there are people willing to try/test/help modifying/modify for themselves this map I will upload it to somewhere. Keep in mind though that this map is NOT PLAYABLE as of yet, as long the province.csv is not really updated. Especially gamebreaking is the lack of updated icons as they among else screw up positioning of armies which move now to some place outside of the map (-1,-1 is default, Inferis should have made it 0,0, that would palce them in centre of its own boundbox...). That needs to be done first thus and I'm starting on that tonight. ETA christmas 2008, unless I get matelli's tool to work... ;)

Trin Tragula said:
Those islands need to be bigger...
I do not think really. I played agung pasha’s map (the islands here are of the same size I believe) and I have no problems with them.

Btw, Kasperus, very nice work, but I really hate your Eastern Europe - it looks really odd! :(

Yah, as said the province.csv needs to be done yet. Since I reshaped India a bit some cities landed in water. But well, actually 95% of all icons are now very much wrong anyway, since why this graphical part has been just the beginning - real work starts now :p

These screenies are from a very standard eu-install I made exclusively for (visual) maptesting so there are no mods installed on it, like EGUFSM or whatever else.

I will not make an update for AGCEEP. That's for interested modders to do themselves - I also need to sleep sometimes you know ;)

And Herr Doctor, can you be more specific on EE? As I believe it looks fabulous and is the greatest eastern Europe ever made for eu2, considered the constraints being the fact of what should be depicted, how, and fitting the pdox projection. The last was tough as pdox projection of EE has always been weird - Europe was squashed north of the black sea, dniepr and don moved too far west, Russia having a weird shape, anatolia and mid-east being relatively speaking smaller than western Europe. Since the only projection that always fits to a cilindric map as pdox made it is mercatorian, which would look and play ridiculous, I stuck to this projection, with only as much as possible improving it. So in general this provided for a standard atlas projection with curved latitudes which works best for the center used (in my and pdox case Germany) but less for other territories and especially there where projection needed to be changed - in this case thus around black sea. As such my balkans do not have such a great shape and my anatolia is a bit bulky but rest of eastern Europe up to the Volga at least has the same projection as rest of Europe, as here I could hid the change-issue under PTI mostly. This was imo a better tradeoff than to screw up projection north of the black sea as pdox essentially did.

If you have complaints about the province division you can state them but here I also had technical constraints like many territorial changes I needed to be able to simulate, especially for the 18th and early 19th centuries, and technical issues with region limits which limited my creativity. Again, I sincerely believe this map greatly improves the possibility of historical handling of eastern Europe w/o that it became something of a 2nd north-Italy ;)

Magnificient Work Kasperus :D

I like those reworking outside of Europe, specially India, this would be loved by Portuguese-exploration fans :D, also the Caribbean islands are really nice portraited...

About Europe, well looks ok, but if you can post zoomed sections of the map so we can take a look very closely of it ;)..

Thanks man!

Kasperus said:
Yah, as said the province.csv needs to be done yet. Since I reshaped India a bit some cities landed in water. But well, actually 95% of all icons are now very much wrong anyway, since why this graphical part has been just the beginning - real work starts now :p

These screenies are from a very standard eu-install I made exclusively for (visual) maptesting so there are no mods installed on it, like EGUFSM or whatever else.

I will not make an update for AGCEEP. That's for interested modders to do themselves - I also need to sleep sometimes you know ;)

And Herr Doctor, can you be more specific on EE? As I believe it looks fabulous and is the greatest eastern Europe ever made for eu2, considered the constraints being the fact of what should be depicted, how, and fitting the pdox projection. The last was tough as pdox projection of EE has always been weird - Europe was squashed north of the black sea, dniepr and don moved too far west, Russia having a weird shape, anatolia and mid-east being relatively speaking smaller than western Europe. Since the only projection that always fits to a cilindric map as pdox made it is mercatorian, which would look and play ridiculous, I stuck to this projection, with only as much as possible improving it. So in general this provided for a standard atlas projection with curved latitudes which works best for the center used (in my and pdox case Germany) but less for other territories and especially there where projection needed to be changed - in this case thus around black sea. As such my balkans do not have such a great shape and my anatolia is a bit bulky but rest of eastern Europe up to the Volga at least has the same projection as rest of Europe, as here I could hid the change-issue under PTI mostly. This was imo a better tradeoff than to screw up projection north of the black sea as pdox essentially did.

If you have complaints about the province division you can state them but here I also had technical constraints like many territorial changes I needed to be able to simulate, especially for the 18th and early 19th centuries, and technical issues with region limits which limited my creativity. Again, I sincerely believe this map greatly improves the possibility of historical handling of eastern Europe w/o that it became something of a 2nd north-Italy ;)
Well, I mean first of all Lithuanian region. Yeah, it’s better than the Paradox vanilla of course, but still… It has the same trouble as the MKJ’s: I do not understand on what you based your Lithuanian provinces division?? This gigantic unhistorical “Belarus” (I hope you know how many ethnographically, geographically, traditionally different regions you put into this one single big artifical province?), extremely strange paradox-like Volhynia, odd Polotsk (it placed wrongly and includes the big part of historical Livonia).

I already was complaining about this issue at the MKJ’s map thread: Polesie should be definitely made a separate province from Volhynia, Belarus should be reorganized the way so it will not provide quick unhistorical move from the Baltics through the bogs of Polesie and Prypiat’ directly to Ukraine… Finally it is even hard to imagine Lithuania with your map - without Ukrainian lands it will be just only four-five extremely large provinces (reason?).

I already posted this before, so:
map7.txt

47 - Samogitia, 46 - Vilnia (Lithaunia), 21 - Troki, 22 - Podlasia, 43 - Navahradak, 42 - Polesia, 45 - Minsk (and please, not “Belarus”, “White Russia”, “White Ruthenia” or any other such marginal thing), 53 - Polotsk, 54 - Vitebsk, 55 - Smolensk.

There are too many provinces for your Europe of course, but you can unite 53 and 54 (Polotsk and Vitebsk – in your map it’s in Russia…) with the same province borders, 21 and 46.

Of course it is your vision and I just wish to give you know how the region could look more historical. But I for sure like your Poland’s division. The Lithuanian is the way worse IMO.