• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Btw, finished West Siberia, Transoxania and Kazachstan. Only Europe minus Britain, Asia minor and Caucasus remain to be done. Starting on that tonight ;)

Note that territories with names within apostrophes are id-map placeholders only and will be reworked. I might also change other Ural-provinces and the Barentz-Sea region quite a bit as I will have to do some projection magic with Europe and I'm unsure yet how broad Ural will become (for a change I used mercatorian projection but it fits badly with pdox projection ;)).

Also I intend to make sea-connection between the mouth of the Ob and White Sea and beyond. I'm trying a trick here, as the Yumal peninsula is too big, so the eastermost seazone is divided in two on both sizes of it (ship-icon will appear in the eastern part of it). If it works it will feel a bit 'weird' in the game as you will suddenly fly through the PTI here ;).

I'm again uncertain about certain PTI-area's. Sayan and Altai mountains I made PTI as Russians did not conquer these before late 19th century and Oirat influence didn't reach beyond these as far as I can tell either. Otoh there was a traderoute somewhere between the Sayan and Altay iirc... For Russia I "could" add connections between Turukhan and Mangazeya, but a change in projection between these makes the distance look bigger than it is irl. And would anyone consider Nova Zemlja a suitable colony? ;)

@Nimic
Iceland is apparently Island in Icelandic. Not that I decided yet whether I will use native or English names for Europe but for now I used that name. Anyone knows what it is been meant anyway (might be a different case with for example Hungary I guess ;))

@Bocaj
I will reply to you later in the evening. I'm sure your idea's give food for thoughts, but right now my stomac is yelling at me that I need that other kind of food first before I can think of anything else ;).

Bocaj said:
You're coming at things from an SP perspective, and I an MP one. Both have their merits depending on the target audience. You obviously are making your map with SP in mind, I just thought I would throw another angle in for you to perhaps look at.
I think it also depends actually. One thing that is mostly striking me in regard to MP is the fact that players develop infra and trade much faster than ai, getting thus soon production incomes that are much higher than for example taxes. Obviously a more developed colonial map will then strenghten the colonial powers, especially if colonial provs will have mostly luxury goods. But the fact that this colonial map is also generally more full with provs will also give better chances for the later colonial powers which in the standard game see too soon the world covered by SPA/POR/ENG and FRA...

Additionally, when I referred to the fact that you cannot that easily tweak province.csv to everything was also applicable to MP in that respect. As also European provinces will generate production incomes. Now dividing an area in Europe you can modify the tax/mp value but production value is tied to the good. Unless you make every new province having a cheap good like fish every new province does indeed mean an income-boost especialy in the last 200 years of the game which has to be balanced out in a different way than through province.csv.

Now, in regard to Germany:
If I would not have to look too much to the region limitations I would say that any of these German countries (other than Austria and as I cannot help it - Bohemia) having at least 3 provinces at the start would be quite beneficial. So looking at it per country hypothetically I would like this situation situation:

-BRA either Altmark-Brandenburg-Neumark (divided by Elbe and Oder) or otherwise no separate Altmark west of Elbe (unimportant area) and instead a border around Havel river dividing Brandenburg and Berlin apart + Neumark.

-SAC - You talk about Lausitz but afaik it was actually Bohemian in 1419 and then Hungarian and it was only in 16th cent. or so that it went to Saxony. Then again taking Elbe/Saale into account perhaps a better solution to divide it into Meissen in the south and Anhalt and Wittenberg in the north, though that would make the last two rather small.

-HAN - 3 provs would be Hannover, Braunschweig and Luneburg I guess.

-HAB - Krems area, proper Austria (Donau division), Carinthia, Styria, Krain with access to sea and Tirol would be the historical division. Dunno if division of Tirol would make then sense anymore. With Salzburg it would be even 7 but Salzburg has always been in the standard GC anyway so could add that. Might bring it back to 5 by somehow dividing Carinthia between Austria proper and Styria but then Bohemia gets actually stronger than Austria.

-BAY would be then best to get 4, 3 in the south and 1 for the Rhine palatinate (it was still Wittelsbach not?). Though if I made Austria into 5 then Bavaria would get only 2 in the south.

-BOH would get in 1419 both Lausitz and 1 additional Silesian prov as I plan to split that, don't know how yet though, tough province to work with. That's a 7 prov Bohemia in 1419... Then I will have to give Poland more. Unless I go against my first principle and add a separate Silesian duchy for the great dukes of Brieg-Liegnitz-Wohlau... ;) Potentially additional power for Austria and Brandenburg later of course...

For the rest I would add Schleswig and Trier. Would certainly revise the Baden-Wurttemberg region, though rather w/o adding new provs here. Revisal of Wurzburg seems useful only for esthetical reasons as neither Thuringen nor Wurzburg were important at all, and you can explain me why exactly did Bayrouth have any importance to get included, and the same for Neurenberg. Augsburg seems even more important to me, it kinda had a colonial empire even ;). But for gameplay reasons any of such would fit best as part of Bavaria. For the rest I would keep the west divided into Kleve, Oldenburg, Bremen, Munster, Mainz and Cologne methinks, all nice useless 1-prov minors. Guess the same fate for Hesse, w/o border on Rhine it still would be not so important. Might honour our, uhm, dear royal family by giving Nassau a prov and get myself just another 1 prov minor :D.

Netto gain in this very raw scheme for Germany thus: +12. Might just work w/o getting through the incgrid limit but then there is still Switzerland, Netherlands, Denmark and northern Italy in the region that all also should gain some provinces methinks... So more reaslitically I might have to become more convervative - kicking out Carinthia and keep Saxony at 2 and also no Nassau, even merging Oldenburg and Munster lands into the Hannoverian and make from the rest just 1 prov, which means only +8.

Anyway, I will simply see what is feasible in practice. I can always add more provinces in the end if the game allows it.

You seem to be on a good track with your reasoning. One thing I've noticed is that Germany seems to have the ability to absorb these extra provinces because of the competition that can be applied from all sides so I wouldn't be too scared about the extra provinces as long as they make sense and are reasonably even throughout the area.

I think another thing for me is I would like to see the possibility of a third German power. I know of a number of ways that scenarios could be modded so that the extra provinces wouldn't make too much of a difference without #3 german though, although maybe I'm a bit biased.

Now back to Germany....

Altmark would only really be good for BB if it was large enough. I can see that perhaps being a clickability problem. But if so, then it would allow for an accurate border with BB/Madgeburg/Saxony/Hannover.

For Hannover, I'd agree on the Luneburg/Brunswick/Hannover thing, although I wouldn't go merging Oldenburg and Munster because then you wouldn't be able to have a proper Westphalia.

Nassau would be a nice addition even if only to show Hesse's shape better. If you're worried about all the one-province minors just think you'll have one less in Hannover, and Pfalz and Mainz should be the Rhenish Palatinate for most of the time as well.

As far as Saxony goes, maybe Meissen and Saxony would be best, with the option of either Anhalt or Thuringia as a third province between it and Hannover.

Now... Bavaria. Bavaria should at lest be as strong as the others to be fair and consistent. I was trying to think of the name, but you bet me to it with Augsburg. You'd be right in saying it was more important than Nuremburg to Bavaria. Also, for Bayreuth, I think it is a good province that shows Bavaria's power in the 1700's. Originally it is apart of the Rhenish Palatinate, and then it was transferred to Bavaria (I can't remember how or the exact date but it was when Bavaria was becoming a major south German power). However with the inclusion of those provinces around Saxony it may be too much to have this as well although I still think it would be a good step if the oppurtunity to add it comes along. I just want to point out that in early scenarios, Bavaria would still only have 3 provinces as Bayreuth would be under the jurisdiction of Pfalz.

Bohemia is sort of a hard one. IRL Moravia, Silesia and Lusatia were very much nominally ruled by Bohemia, which consisted primarily of Bohemia, Sudeten and Erz. In that case it wouldn't be a problem to add two new provinces. EU2 can't model these things too well. However both provinces are really necessary.

Austria all depends on how many provinces you're adding elsewhere. Relativity... if you're making someone from 2 provinces to 3 provinces and Austria from 5 to 6, provinces being equal, the smaller nation becomes 20%(?) in a better position compared to before. I have not really done as much research on Austria as most of Germany so I can't really suggest anything outside of a gameplay perspective.

BTW, I like your take on western siberia. I'll be interested to see how the sea zone to siberia works out. The only other thing might come up is with Orenburg, having 2 provinces to Siberia. I don't see that as a big thing though. I think it's good you've got a good wall of PTI between europe and siberia, as historically Russia had to take out the GH and then Sibir before it was able to start exploring the area.

Looking excellent still :)

Any new ETA from when I last asked?

This is looking amazing and will kick ass with AoI.

Good job well done ;)

NB: Kasperus, just a minor ammendment - can you change Kent to Sussex? It's just you have Wessex and Essex, and Kent sticks out like a sore thumb because it's not a county. I just feel that Sussex would look better, so as to match the other southern counties.

Cheers

@Bocaj

Well, as I said I will see how it works out, it is easier to talk about it when I have actually something drawed, and right now in Germany I only redid the coastlines and I'm still struggling with the projection in certain area's in Europe. But thus more or less I expect that I cannot add less than 12 provs to Germany. Or even more as I think I should divide Baden after all as south of it should be Austria for some time. And there is fo course the Swedish-Brandenburgian division of Vorpommern. And that way the amount of needed provinces is growing and growing. I hoped to keep it minimal but overall I kind of had to reserve 36 new id's for whole Europe, and it is the sheer minimum ;)

On the Palatinate thing though, is it so bad to make it Bavarian from the start anyway? IIRC it has been always Wittelsbach' and pdox added it only to the game as it was bigger than Trier, while Trier should have been in as HRE-elector. Since I plan to add Trier it is not an argument, so Bavaria will get one bonus province anyway (I do plan to keep Mainz separate). Which means I can still divide 'Bavaria' into 4 provs, say Munchen, Upper-Palt., Nurnberg and Augsburg, of which the last 2 are of course only correct as Bavarian in the post-1815 setting but I don't think it makes sense to make them 1-prov minors. Unless I thus really design Augsburg as a colonial country to represent the Fuggers and Welsers, then Nurnberg can be added to bavaria which would start with 4 provs.

In regard to Siberia - I don't really understand what you mean with Orenburg but as I said provinces with names in non-caps are not done yet and only act as placeholders for the id-map. In fact I could not leav it that way since in this setup Orenburg city itself ought to be in the Bashkiria province. It is only called Orenburg since the id under it belongs to the Orenburg province. In essense also more of the Ural will have actual provinces in it. Essentially Perm will connect to Kazan, for which Kazan will be moved to the east, as the whole Volga-area will (in the area between Wisla and Ural the pdox projection is pretty bad and I will have to change it drastically). Only the northern Ural will be PTI. So the Russian player will be able to access Siberia once it finished off Kazan and Sibir, w/o having to fight the southern Hordes though. This is the most realistic situation and most historical.

@Jimbo_Jools

I can change Kent to Sussex yeah. As to the ETA, well, dunno. Right now only things left to do:
-Finishing Europe. I'm still busy with getting the projection right and putting in coastlines/rivers, which is the toughest job as I need to do a lot of 'magic' around to make it fit and still look like Europe :p. Actually once I'm done with Russia, Caucasus and Asia minor that stage is done, hopefully I'll make it tonight.
-Filling in new provinces is somewhat more trivial as for most area's I either have clear idea's of what to do and where I don't it will remain close to what pdox did. Only Eastern Europe and Caucasus will probably require some more creativity and therefor time. Hopefully can be finished in 2-3 days.
-After that it becomes very trivial - debugging, shading, borders, exporting. If no serious issues occure and no region-problems will appear this takes just a few hours or 1 evening.
-Then I need to do some smaller changes in Africa, Iran and India and some quick debugging in SE- and S-Asia and take a very quick look on what to do with Oceania, which all should not take more than 2 days and then ithe graphical part is finito and I could upload the lightmaps for anyone who wishes to have it.

So, if I count it right a week? Assuming I can really work every day on it, which is possible as I have nothing else to do as long the weather is so shitty as now... ;) It will be lightmaps w/o a finalized province.csv though - as said before the work on province.csv will take a loooong time beyond that and I can only hope to finish it before the next study-year starts in september. :eek:

For Denmark you could add: Fyn (a no-brainer really), Slesvig, Ösel and Halland (In order of importance IMHO). They already got the Faroe Islands, a good addition IMO :)

Ösel would be cool, since it could be used to model the fall of the Teutonic order and such nicely...

More provinces to Finland. :D

Now then more seriously, I don't think Palatinate should be merged with Bavaria, since it was different branch of Wittelsbachs in Palatinate than Bavaria until 1777 and afaik the two branches were at different sides in Thirty Years War at least. Besides, we would strip the poor Winter King from his country too. :D

Kasperus said:
@Bocaj

Well, as I said I will see how it works out, it is easier to talk about it when I have actually something drawed, and right now in Germany I only redid the coastlines and I'm still struggling with the projection in certain area's in Europe. But thus more or less I expect that I cannot add less than 12 provs to Germany. Or even more as I think I should divide Baden after all as south of it should be Austria for some time. And there is fo course the Swedish-Brandenburgian division of Vorpommern. And that way the amount of needed provinces is growing and growing. I hoped to keep it minimal but overall I kind of had to reserve 36 new id's for whole Europe, and it is the sheer minimum ;)

On the Palatinate thing though, is it so bad to make it Bavarian from the start anyway? IIRC it has been always Wittelsbach' and pdox added it only to the game as it was bigger than Trier, while Trier should have been in as HRE-elector. Since I plan to add Trier it is not an argument, so Bavaria will get one bonus province anyway (I do plan to keep Mainz separate). Which means I can still divide 'Bavaria' into 4 provs, say Munchen, Upper-Palt., Nurnberg and Augsburg, of which the last 2 are of course only correct as Bavarian in the post-1815 setting but I don't think it makes sense to make them 1-prov minors. Unless I thus really design Augsburg as a colonial country to represent the Fuggers and Welsers, then Nurnberg can be added to bavaria which would start with 4 provs.

In regard to Siberia - I don't really understand what you mean with Orenburg but as I said provinces with names in non-caps are not done yet and only act as placeholders for the id-map. In fact I could not leav it that way since in this setup Orenburg city itself ought to be in the Bashkiria province. It is only called Orenburg since the id under it belongs to the Orenburg province. In essense also more of the Ural will have actual provinces in it. Essentially Perm will connect to Kazan, for which Kazan will be moved to the east, as the whole Volga-area will (in the area between Wisla and Ural the pdox projection is pretty bad and I will have to change it drastically). Only the northern Ural will be PTI. So the Russian player will be able to access Siberia once it finished off Kazan and Sibir, w/o having to fight the southern Hordes though. This is the most realistic situation and most historical.

@Jimbo_Jools

I can change Kent to Sussex yeah. As to the ETA, well, dunno. Right now only things left to do:
-Finishing Europe. I'm still busy with getting the projection right and putting in coastlines/rivers, which is the toughest job as I need to do a lot of 'magic' around to make it fit and still look like Europe :p. Actually once I'm done with Russia, Caucasus and Asia minor that stage is done, hopefully I'll make it tonight.
-Filling in new provinces is somewhat more trivial as for most area's I either have clear idea's of what to do and where I don't it will remain close to what pdox did. Only Eastern Europe and Caucasus will probably require some more creativity and therefor time. Hopefully can be finished in 2-3 days.
-After that it becomes very trivial - debugging, shading, borders, exporting. If no serious issues occure and no region-problems will appear this takes just a few hours or 1 evening.
-Then I need to do some smaller changes in Africa, Iran and India and some quick debugging in SE- and S-Asia and take a very quick look on what to do with Oceania, which all should not take more than 2 days and then ithe graphical part is finito and I could upload the lightmaps for anyone who wishes to have it.

So, if I count it right a week? Assuming I can really work every day on it, which is possible as I have nothing else to do as long the weather is so shitty as now... ;) It will be lightmaps w/o a finalized province.csv though - as said before the work on province.csv will take a loooong time beyond that and I can only hope to finish it before the next study-year starts in september. :eek:

Cheers for answering my questions there, Kasperus :)

I will offer my services to aid in the completion of the province.csv file.

Whether or not they will be needed is another matter entirely, however ;)

Kasperus said:
@Bocaj

36 is rather minimal compared to how many area have been given to other areas, but since that's the importance you have placed on it I won't complain.

The Wittelsbachs weren't exactly that friendly for being family. Family feuds etc, they were fighting on and off for 200+ years. Hardly constitutes a loving combined nation. As for Trier as an elector, Pfalz was one too, until the TYW where it was transferred to Bavaria because the Palatinate was protestant. Also I was under the impression that Bavaria held the northeastern side of the Danube (your Nuremburg).

Personally I wouldn't bother with simulating free cities (thus why I would consider Nuremburg and Augsburg to be Bavarian). I think a good criteria for a nation would be its ability to war and expand on itself, being able to stand on its own feet and do a reasonable job protecting itself, and be a significant force in its area. Imperial cities really didn't fulfill those, unless it was a band of them, such as in the Hansa.

All I'm saying was that this will only allow one nation access to Siberia. If the OE (or Poland if you're Sterkarm) manages to take Orenburg, they will have unlimited access to Siberia and cut Russia off. Having 2 provinces to access Siberia would make it harder to do this.

Regarding Denmark I will certainly add Sleswig, though iirc it will not be actually Danish in 1419, and Denmark also gains Faroer (which also is not Danish in 1419 yet but well, Norway always lets itself be annexed so that will work out). As such I have reserved for first draft one more Danish province, preferably one which Danes will really own in 1419, thus either Fyn or Halland. I have yet to decide which one that will be. Osel at most in "2nd round" if I will be still able to add new id's. No provinces for Finland, likely neither for Sweden in the 1st round. Currently reserved are 42 new id's for first round, of which 24 I have to 'waste' on HRE...

Ober-Pfalz was the north-eastern province you speak of while Nurnberg the north-western prov which Bavaria did not own. But Palatinate will thus start as independant so Bavaria will get its 4 provinces in the south. Will be not so historical to see a 1815 Bavaria in 1419 already but I'm sure it works better out for the gamebalance. It would make no sense to add free cities as states, only then I wonder which country I should give the German conquistadors/explorers that Welsers employed for Venezuela expeditions; Bavaria? I want to see more 'alternative' colonization in the game (heck, I have so many colonial provinces after all) so I plan to abstract also the various more or less failed colonial attempts in the game, which among else brings me to German states.

I would not agree that I gave relatively speaking more attention to non-European area's than European. It is a fact that I added more provinces there than ~40 (about 80 to America's together, Africa and Asia each, ~25 to Oceania) but we should not forget that most of that went to fill up the PTI (for America's and Africa that was each over 75% of new id's) which Europe does not have, that all these continents exc. Oceania are much bigger but nevertheless all had less provinces than Europe, meaning that European provinces were already much smaller and therefor hard to divide, and last but not least I did not have to expect technical issues with region-limits which I have to face in Europe. At most I have been slightly overenthusiastic in Indonesia where I followed Xiechenguo too much in the west, whiles still needing to fill up the colonial east. So I will tweak that down, especially Sumatra, Borneo, Malaya and Celebes which don't require so many provs, certainly not if I do not plan to add new states here... But aside that I'm rather convinced that my distribution of id's has been more than fair. And well, IF it will be possible I can always add more in Europe in the end, after at least this first, minimal version gets accepted by the engine, but I'm rather safe now than sorry later ;).

Siberia as said will not have the Orenburg problem as you mentionned it, as there will be at least 3 or 4 provinces directly connecting Europe to Asia through the Ural. As said Russian lands will connect to Kazan from which there will be connections to Perm and probably also Ufa which are further connected to Transuralian provinces on the Ob. The route through 'Orenburg' will be thus just the southernmost and actually the one that should not be taken, historically speaking.

Jimbo_Jools said:
This is looking amazing and will kick ass with AoI.

Indeed, especially the Americas and Africa could be very interesting for AoI. But it would be LOTS of work to adapt this map to AoI - or any other mod/vanilla EU2, for that matter.

Kasperus said:
Regarding Denmark I will certainly add Sleswig, though iirc it will not be actually Danish in 1419, and Denmark also gains Faroer (which also is not Danish in 1419 yet but well, Norway always lets itself be annexed so that will work out). As such I have reserved for first draft one more Danish province, preferably one which Danes will really own in 1419, thus either Fyn or Halland. I have yet to decide which one that will be. Osel at most in "2nd round" if I will be still able to add new id's. No provinces for Finland, likely neither for Sweden in the 1st round. Currently reserved are 42 new id's for first round, of which 24 I have to 'waste' on HRE...

Slesvig should have Danish culture, but be owned by Holstein in 1419. But with Danish cores on both Holstein and Slesvig, they'll likely end up owning it sometime anyway...

I do think the Faroes are a bit far-fetched though, as it was - and kinda still is - mostly a bunch of barren rocks. It had no real value, neither economical nor strategical, untill WWII...

About Fyn/Halland, I'd chose Fyn any day. No doubt at all. I also think Ösel/Osilia (the latter which I think would be a more appropriate name for it) would be a reasonable province to add (and I added it on my own map when I was still working on it).

Remember that if you run out of IDs, there's PLENTY of rather obsolete sea zones you can scrap. :)

Hive said:
Indeed, especially the Americas and Africa could be very interesting for AoI. But it would be LOTS of work to adapt this map to AoI - or any other mod/vanilla EU2, for that matter.
It certainly won't be more work than making this whole map is you know ;)
I do think the Faroes are a bit far-fetched though, as it was - and kinda still is - mostly a bunch of barren rocks. It had no real value, neither economical nor strategical, untill WWII...
I dare to disagree. It had at least for a change a quite decent population of European origin, certainly much higher than many colonial provinces in the game have. Also, more islands = good per definition imo ;).
But this inclusion is imo more important because of what I want to achieve, and that is that Denmark won't get annexed every game by Sweden anymore. Faroer won't be a province that you can reach by land, nor one that you can enter through a strait that ai cannot defend well. And it is also outside of the id-crowded north-east region of Europe which will certainly pay off in the end. :) So....
About Fyn/Halland, I'd chose Fyn any day. No doubt at all. I also think Ösel/Osilia (the latter which I think would be a more appropriate name for it) would be a reasonable province to add (and I added it on my own map when I was still working on it).
...may be all true but although Fyn had certainly good economical value and was Danish fot all the period, it was also actually always bound to Sjaeland as such which makes it less interesting to separate it, while economical factor isn't exactly highest priority (as it can be modelled differently). As it will be reachable by strait it will be rather easy to take from Germany already. With the idiotic consequence that stupid ai will give it away in peacetreaty which will get you the sitution that Fyn is foreign-controlled and Sjaelland and Jutland around it are Danish. Since it is not landlocked it will not often defect either. Halland has mostly the same problems, but it actually did change hands in that period, and could have done it much more likely separately from Skane, which is why I actually prefer it over Fyn. Faroer does not have that kind of problems at all btw - frankly everyone with a ship could get in theory control of it so who cares if it becomes English or Moroccan - it will have no weirdness-impact to the game imo. And Fyn is thus in the north-east region of Europe where also most of HRE, Poland, Baltics and Russia till Ural is, which makes it require most id's, which means it will reach the limit of 255 soonest of all. So....
Remember that if you run out of IDs, there's PLENTY of rather obsolete sea zones you can scrap. :)
...is nice and well, but irrelevant. Once I reached the region-limit this is not going to help me much. Not to mention that even after these 40 new id's I have still 60-70 left anyway ;)

Ah yes, forgot all about the evil 255 region limit...

Btw, have you injected the parts of the map you have done so far, to test how it works in EU2? I know Inferis said that his tools still had some bugs...

I did, succesful in as far as that it did not crash, not on the new territories anyway ;). There are issues, most of which are either trivial or can be worked around. My biggest problem being that after modyfying the map suddenly the unmodified parts did crash in the game. There are also crashes caused by border layer if it has borders around PTI, which especially the original parts of the map often have, so I guess the tool does something wrong here, but that can be thus worked around. Other stuff I'd say is minor, like glitches in exported shading, especially in downsized lightmaps, mview occasionally freezing, river-adjactency shortcomings etc. Lately I also have problems with the 'tolerant' id-converter.

I have heard that you can play around with regions and stuff in the province.csv though? Or was that continents?

That's a different kind of region. The regions is province.csv are the in-game ones, but the ones the mapeditors talk about are engine-based limits on the number of provinces in a grid.

Meh, that region limit is already causing me problems. Managed to add just 35 new provinces, in west and central Europe and already *boom* - regionsizeoverflow :eek: And I haven't even started editting Russia, balkans and asia minor yet :( I hope I can circumvent it by merging some less-important seazones as this was really my mimimum new provs-version...