• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
wryun said:
Macquarie certainly is European... the problem with Tasmanian names in general is that full-blood Tasmanian aboriginals were all killed or died from disease during the 19th century, and their languages were basically lost. I found a rather dubious website claiming that Trowerner should be the name, which I guess is better than nothing. Wikipedia has some (not all) of the tribe names: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasmanian_Aborigine
Good enough ;)
Having just looked at a 'areas occupied by 1850' map it does appear that the area up to Esperance wasn't settled at this time (just searched; website said 1863). Kalgoorlie certainly wasn't settled until later. I'm not sure exactly what your aim is with this map, however: do you want to represent all areas that could have been effectively colonised/occupied in the 18th/early-19th centuries, or only those that were?
Essentially both, till about 1850, being mostly what I see as development of industrial era and railways for which eu2 engine is very unsuitable imo. But I also can add area's that weren't exactly well colonized till then and hard to colonize if a potential natural economical value (like gold, slaves or something else) could have made people exploit it, as colony or somewhat more developed tradepost. And this is a cathegory that I'm not very consequent about either - for example I limited America's more than Africa and Australia in that aspect ;)

So:
(EDIT: going on that map, you should dump Broome, Yila, Tiharda, Eharana, Iriad, and almost all of Murai... I'd definitely dump Broome in any case)
Should I also do that considering the above? This was kind of the 'optimistic' extension of 'colonizable' as came out of the long discussion ( http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187006 ) that Hive had about his map afaik. He intended to use it for longer timespan, till 1913 or so, but still.

Jimbo_Jools said:
This looks amazing... any ETA?
I think the graphic part should be done before the end of july, after all yet only North America, Europe and Siberia need to be finished. Then I will probably spent 3 years rewriting manually province.csv to fit all the icon-positions correctly, unless WiSK or Inferis creates a nice tool for it ;)

Kasperus said:
I think the graphic part should be done before the end of july, after all yet only North America, Europe and Siberia need to be finished. Then I will probably spent 3 years rewriting manually province.csv to fit all the icon-positions correctly, unless WiSK or Inferis creates a nice tool for it ;)

You can join me in begging pathetically for such a tool.

Kasperus said:
3 years are you serious. Just need 4 days for rewriting province data for all asia and africa . ROTW could be less that a month maybe.
:confused:
Before do that wise to test minject map to the game , just to prevent from Idgrid problem. And fix regional CTD problem that maybe appear couse of the map.

Last edited:
agung pasha said:
3 years are you serious. Just need 4 days for rewriting province data for all asia and africa . ROTW could be less that a month maybe.
:confused:
Before do that wise to test minject map to the game , just to prevent from Idgrid problem. And fix regional CTD problem that maybe appear couse of the map.
Geez, am I getting so old that people take everything I said so seriously or what? :p No I was not serious about 3 years, but I do think that it will cost me quite a few hours of work to get it done - essentially I have to rewrite the whole province.csv from scratch using quite backward 'system' to track the correct coordinates on the map for an icon, and then 'export' it in a very inefficient way that's also bug prone. It took me 2 hours to get only South-Africa done and additional one to fix the bugs I created underway. I got more proficient at this but it does not say it is a fast, pleasourous job that I'm looking forward to, so I will most probably postpone it every time, and hope some volunteer will do the job for me :D

And I have no problems with 'idgrid'. Had some ctd's which I believe were caused by the fact that my intermediate map was created with a very early version of Inferis' tool which, apparently, handled especially PTI and borderlayers as well as the higher zoomlevels creation differently, but I have been debugging it all yesterday and the new parts of the map at least all work now in the game w/o ctd's. It crashes now only on some regions I did not modify yet, so that will be fixed when the time comes ;)

Kasperus said:
Should I also do that considering the above? This was kind of the 'optimistic' extension of 'colonizable' as came out of the long discussion ( http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187006 ) that Hive had about his map afaik. He intended to use it for longer timespan, till 1913 or so, but still.

Having read the thread, it seems you have many Australians (probably as uninformed as myself) eager to give advice... if you're going for colonisable, I guess I'd say yes (on the same standards that the whole coastline of Africa is colonisable), but I'd make Darwin/Broome/N. Queensland very unprofitable. I suppose that's more a problem for scenario creators than map makers though.

Kasperus said:
Finished South America and part of Central America so here it is in full glory. Damn small Carribean islands will be a hell to click but whatever (and I enlarged them already 2x here).
North America, here I come :cool:

Wow, nice job here! Your best region yet imo. Well done. :)

Yeah SAmerica is particuarly nice. Just around the caribbean... Hispanola's not there yet (I take it that's coming), and Jamaica's out of line, should be south of Santiago instead of West of it. As you said about wishing to have borders right closer to the end of things, will you be splitting Tierra del Fuego in two?

Either way, very nice.

Kasperus said:
Finished South America and part of Central America so here it is in full glory. Damn small Carribean islands will be a hell to click but whatever (and I enlarged them already 2x here).
North America, here I come :cool:

Wonderful map, Kasperus! You should show it to MKJ ;)

And I think you can easily make Caribbean islands a little more unnaturally bigger for the gameplay reasons. Btw, will be nice to see Tobago separate from Trinidad. ;)

@wryun
tax = 1, manpower = 0, producing fish and a minimal chance of colonization succes was kind of what I had in mind for these northern provs. Also, in my tests I defined them as being in Africa in province.csv which gave them that nice population-growth penalty ;) So establishing a colony here will be something only a bored player with too many colonists and money will try to do around 1800 I guess. Of course that's for the 'scenario' I had in mind myself.

But thus what should I add exactly to the western part of Australia you think (if anything) as that question kind of remained unanswered?

@Hive
thanks, though I still think my Indonesia is slightly better as I'm kind of unhappy about some choices I had to make here and there in SAM, especially when I started to run out out of free id's. :( Especially undivided Uruguay and somewhat 'neglected' Paraguay... (though still less neglected than on pdox map I guess ;))

@Bocaj
Carribeans are not finished yet as the part of the map that I exported proved to be too short to fit all of them in the north :D While exporting I kind of 'missed' the fact that pdox placed these islands too far to the south. So both Hispaniola and Cuba will be added yet when I update North America (Cuba on the map is a leftover from the old map and will be removed, of the 'new' Hispaniola you can already see the coastal line, I had no place to put in the rest w/o screwing up the id-map here. Jamaica is thus placed right).
Btw, did anyone ever notice that irl Guadeloupe should be NORTH of Dominica? ;)

Tierra del Fuego I kind of overlooked when I made these area's (funny enough many historical 19th cent. maps kind of cut off that region), only noticed it much later. But I don't think that's a big issue, as I do not intend to replicate 'modern border', rather situation of the 1700's and much of the 1800's. Afaik the definitive Argentino-Chilean border was not defined here before early 1900's or so. And as Tierra del Fuego is just a big, barren rock I don't think using 2 id's here is justified ;)

@Herr Doctor
Since MKJ already posted in this thread one could assume that he already seen it don't you think? ;)
And these islands ARE already 3x as big as irl. Making them bigger will make them actually connect to each other which would be rather... weird. THey will be impossible to click from the normal game map anyway, even if I make them twice as big as now... owwell, I can live with that myself, got used to pdoxian Corfu and Malta as well over time... ;)

Tobago just 'looks' separate on the map btw, like on pdox' map, I made it part of Trinidad province (but Trinidad & Tobago name was too long for my taste and for the font I use). This is a simplification as I know that Tobago was initially colonized separately but some island parts simply HAD to be merged. And well, how often does Courland colonize there anyway (if ever) ;)? This I might revise in the end when I have free id's left though.

Kasperus said:
@Herr Doctor
Since MKJ already posted in this thread one could assume that he already seen it don't you think? ;)
And these islands ARE already 3x as big as irl. Making them bigger will make them actually connect to each other which would be rather... weird. THey will be impossible to click from the normal game map anyway, even if I make them twice as big as now... owwell, I can live with that myself, got used to pdoxian Corfu and Malta as well over time... ;)

Tobago just 'looks' separate on the map btw, like on pdox' map, I made it part of Trinidad province (but Trinidad & Tobago name was too long for my taste and for the font I use). This is a simplification as I know that Tobago was initially colonized separately but some island parts simply HAD to be merged. And well, how often does Courland colonize there anyway (if ever) ;)? This I might revise in the end when I have free id's left though.
I see. :) But it’s not only coz of my dear Courland, but also as the Dutch, English, French, Spaniards and Swedes fought for this island and tried to colonize it during XVII-XVIII centuries, so it had completely separate history from Trinidad, and possibly the richest colonial history in compare with its neighbor islands.

Herr Doctor said:
I see. :) But it’s not only coz of my dear Courland, but also as the Dutch, English, French, Spaniards and Swedes fought for this island and tried to colonize it during XVII-XVIII centuries, so it had completely separate history from Trinidad, and possibly the richest colonial history in compare with its neighbor islands.

I agree with Herr Doctor. Tobago would be nice from historical perspective - gameplay-wise (clickability) maybe not... ;)

Kasperus said:
@wryun
tax = 1, manpower = 0, producing fish and a minimal chance of colonization succes was kind of what I had in mind for these northern provs. Also, in my tests I defined them as being in Africa in province.csv which gave them that nice population-growth penalty ;) So establishing a colony here will be something only a bored player with too many colonists and money will try to do around 1800 I guess. Of course that's for the 'scenario' I had in mind myself.
Sounds good.

But thus what should I add exactly to the western part of Australia you think (if anything) as that question kind of remained unanswered?

I'd put one extra province along the coast to Esperance, especially given that you've got Broome and North Queensland in (far more marginal territory).

OK, I updated Australia to wryun's suggestions and also changed all names here to names of aboriginal tribes as on the map wryun posted before. Merged the 2 provinces around Eire peninsula to get the additional prov in west Australia. Also actually 'won' 3 id's by merging some unnecessary seazones in that region. Redid also all seazones with my recently gained ability to draw straight lines in ps :D Also, I made some provinces 'broader' into the PTI. This is not because they SHOULD be bigger irl but simply because the latest incarnation of Inferis tool makes the PTI actually cross the borders of provinces next to it quite a bit. In effect some of these provinces became kind of invisible so I had to redo it.

Besides that I was mostly working on bug and crash fixing on other maps. Made some changes in south-Arabia where essentially I added Oman in the same way as MKJ did (only with 2 instead of 3 provinces) but being 'isolated' by PTI from rest of Arabia. I'm not sure if MKJ did it for the same reasons, but when I saw that solution it seemed a great way to prevent landpowers from attacking Oman directly over land and Oman solely reachable by sea might get a nice advantage that way. Did not update a preview for such a detail, if you want to see what the idea is check MKJ's map ;)

Finally a preview of my current work on North America - Mexico. There was probably other ways to do Mexico but this one seems good enough to both represent the colonization here well, as well as later Mexican borders, and a simplified Indians setup a la pdox. And in worst case some 1-prov states can be actually added to make the game for Aztecs more interesting ;)

USA is right now a pain in the ass, not so much as I lack information but rather as I lack maps that use the same projection as paradox did ;) I think this will be the 2nd territory after Australia that I will switch to a different projection (but definitely NOT mercatorian). Some outlines of the coast is already included on the id map as in the preview. More later.

(NOTE: as usually click the images for bigger, 50% sized versions. A refresh might be needed to show the new version of the files as I used the same names)

@Herr Doctor/Serus
On the Tobago issue: if I have id's free in the end, I will add a separate Tobago island to the game thus. That's kind of 2 minutes work as shading here is already done and updating the id-map is quite easy as is the addition of a name ;)

I think I'm going to leave North America to you beyond what I've done so far, and see what you can come up with, cause I'm short on ideas at the moment, beyond thinking Baja is definitely way too much of a wasteland for 2 provinces.

Mad King James said:
I think I'm going to leave North America to you beyond what I've done so far, and see what you can come up with, cause I'm short on ideas at the moment, beyond thinking Baja is definitely way too much of a wasteland for 2 provinces.
It probably is, but as I have to extend a province there up to the USA-Mexico border and, uhm, 'cover up' a small change of projection in that region, my baja will become quite big so I will have to keep it divided ;)

For the rest my plan for Nam is quite simple - no more PTI in USA and southernmost Canada, not too much attention to modern US-states borders though (too many nasty straight lines...). I'll try to get the Anglo-Spanish-French, plus possibly Dutch/Swedish enclaves and US-Canadian borders as well as I can and provide provinces for the most important colonial settlements and then fill the territory with Indian tribes provinces.
But that's only when I finally make up my mind on the projection... :wacko:

You plain can't cross the Rockies unless you have dynamite, railroads, and breach-loading rifles, and most of the southwest makes the central sahara seem appealing by comparison. I think for logistical and agricultural reasons, I'd personally limit colonization to the coast up to the Rockies in the east, and only the coast in the west (except the San Fernando Valley of course).

You'd really have to live here to understand. On most of the west coast the mountains dive straight into the ocean. Where I live for instance as soon as you leave the river delta you hit a wall of mountains that go on forever all the way to Alberta.