• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Let me tell you Kasp, that this is an explendid job you got here, finally I managed to have some time to test this GC with your map of course, after you put it in a confortable way of installing :eek:o , and it looks and feels great! :D ... kudos for this man :D

I won't pick on you on the fact that I don't like the map for Southamerica, but oh well, I'll just pretend that it didn't exist ;) lol .. since the shape of Europe is quite magnificient and the distribution of the countries are really nice.. thanks :)

Well, from some experience with testing that I already did I don't think your doubts about problems with too many provinces to colonize here come out really (IIRC that was your main criticism?). In 1624 in my Brandenburg game Portuguese covered all of historical Brazil except the economically uninteresting Amazonas. Incas who have a colonial file (idea ripped from Hive, though my ai works better :D) 'fix' for colonizing all the west nicely and Europeans fill in what is left over on coasts (as BB I went to fullfill the Welser-plans and created a protestant German Venezuela :p). If the inlands don't get always colonized won't be such a problem methinks (in standard eu the succes of ai here varies also).

For a game meant to last till ~1860 inclusion of so many territories, with more or less accirate borders for the late Latin American revolters was also necessary anyway (I might have removed Patagonia or Amazonas but exactly these were already in the standard game mostly...). And let's not forget keeping the game till such a date (thereafter I convert my games to Victoria) was always the aim of this map.Anyway, I like colonizing, even of dirt-poor territories - just like my country's colour all over the map :D

Kasperus said:
Well, from some experience with testing that I already did I don't think your doubts about problems with too many provinces to colonize here come out really (IIRC that was your main criticism?). In 1624 in my Brandenburg game Portuguese covered all of historical Brazil except the economically uninteresting Amazonas. Incas who have a colonial file (idea ripped from Hive, though my ai works better :D) 'fix' for colonizing all the west nicely and Europeans fill in what is left over on coasts (as BB I went to fullfill the Welser-plans and created a protestant German Venezuela :p). If the inlands don't get always colonized won't be such a problem methinks (in standard eu the succes of ai here varies also).
Oh really? nice then :) ... well, it can be, since the colonial powers having more provs can get more money to do its job.. this was the issue mainly I complained about it.. but if you have it solved nicely.. then it's ok :D ... also, I didn't know that you have set inca's AI to colonize... fiusss... I just couldn't imagine Spain colonizing that big territory, just awesome Kasp :D.... btw, that prot german venezuela, thanks ;) it'd be cool if the germans would have colonized us :rolleyes: lol :rofl:

Kasperus said:
For a game meant to last till ~1860
Does your scenario installed with the map run to 1860 by default, or is there further editing that I would have to do to it?

Kudos for a beautiful and well-designed map.

the_genius said:
Oh really? nice then :) ... well, it can be, since the colonial powers having more provs can get more money to do its job.. this was the issue mainly I complained about it.. but if you have it solved nicely.. then it's ok :D ... also, I didn't know that you have set inca's AI to colonize... fiusss... I just couldn't imagine Spain colonizing that big territory, just awesome Kasp :D.... btw, that prot german venezuela, thanks ;) it'd be cool if the germans would have colonized us :rolleyes: lol :rofl:
Inca's do a good job. Spaniards unfortunately a bit less when it comes to taking these lands ;)

@Classique
No, I kept the standard dating in the downloadable part so custom adjustments are required.

Hey Kasp,

You couldn't put the download link in the first page could you? For people who haven't been keeping up with the thread, 13 pages is a lot to look through to find it. Cheers

Kasperus said:
http://home.student.uva.nl/kacper.vandenheuvel/watk101005.rar (0,1 mb)
UnRAR over the base map (watk 300905)

Link to original map:
http://home.student.uva.nl/kacper.vandenheuvel/watk300905.rar (12,2 mb)

All the links for me and this is a rather reliable server (my univs) so I don't know what problems anyone might have. Might be that some browsers have problems with the RAR extension of the file.

These links don´t work for me, saying the file was not found. I´m using latest Firefox, so no problems with .rar or anything. Could anyone please host those files anywhere else?

You could also crack the big file up into two smaller ones to fit with the 10MB cap...

Well, now they don't work no, might be because I removed the files from the server :rolleyes: As I said before I could only keep it uploaded till 15th october. I can now at most put it up on that German whatsitsnameshare-thing that so many people had problems with downloading from in the first place...

Kasperus said:
Well, now they don't work no, might be because I removed the files from the server :rolleyes: As I said before I could only keep it uploaded till 15th october. I can now at most put it up on that German whatsitsnameshare-thing that so many people had problems with downloading from in the first place...

Do you need hosting then?

My ADSL gives me some hosted space .. 50MB iirc. If the maps are pretty small I can host them for you (at least for the moment).

Overall, I think this map is great, apart from some things, mainly aestethical.

Some provinces are spelled wierdly on the map (Schleswick being the most obvious example, any chance that will be changed to Schleswig or Slesvig)?

I think you should fix the province names that could use improvements (Östergötland, Småland, Skåne, Sjælland etc).

Why did you rename Bergslagen to Värmland? Bergslagen is an important area in Sweden with its mines and pretty large population density.
Värmland, on the other hand has always been a backwater. Some areas of Värmland could be said to belong to Bergslagen, but not the other way around. If you decide to keep the name Värmland, rename the town Tingvalla, change the goods to Naval Supplies and lower the tax by two or three.

Kasperus said:
I guess you mean rapidshare.de?

G-Klav, Kasperus has said that he does not want diacritics on his map.

Rapidshare yes. Seemingly many people had problems downloading from it, guess due to dynamic IP adresses.
dsk, the mapfiles are ~14mb, up to you if it is small or big I guess ;). Anyway, if it just 1 or 2 people who missed the boat on this download in he last 2 weeks I will just dump it on rapidshare and it is up to them to get it to work, no need to waste precious serverspace on it.
As I said before I can eventually adjust some names once I have a whole list of names to be corrected or changed but I will not do additional exports for just a name or a few letters every time. Also right now I really don't have time to do any work on it in the next few weeks. I will not include any accents or weird letters beside the standard latin alphabet.

Kasperus said:
Rapidshare yes. Seemingly many people had problems downloading from it, guess due to dynamic IP adresses.
dsk, the mapfiles are ~14mb, up to you if it is small or big I guess ;). Anyway, if it just 1 or 2 people who missed the boat on this download in he last 2 weeks I will just dump it on rapidshare and it is up to them to get it to work, no need to waste precious serverspace on it.
As I said before I can eventually adjust some names once I have a whole list of names to be corrected or changed but I will not do additional exports for just a name or a few letters every time. Also right now I really don't have time to do any work on it in the next few weeks. I will not include any accents or weird letters beside the standard latin alphabet.

But they are standard, in the native countries. If you want a map without such letters why not use the latin names of the provinces?
Besides, all it takes is the Alt key + a combination of 4 numbers. 

Grabunden is a totally different thing from Graubünden, Thuringen is different from Thüringen, Skane is different from Skåne.
A German U represents a wholly different phonem than Ü, and a Swedish Å is not replacable with an A.

Skåne should be renamed Scania, Östergötland Ostrogothland, etc.
About the German provinces, there are probably Latin names for each one of them (Thüringen = Thuringia, Nürnberg = Franconia, etc).

[B@W] Abominus said:
Hi Kasperus,

your Map looks realy nice.

Where can I download the latest version?
We are a german group of EU2Aberration MP Players and search for a new map. Is it complete ready?
Well, right now nowhere. I will thus put it to rapidshare again once I'm at my own PC during the weekend.

G-Klav:
I won't use latin names since it will require too much additional research for me and open a can of worms in relation to the obscure sphere of change between the latin and non-latin world (unless someone else does the researchwork for me and will deal with all responsibility and critics on it later :D). Besides that I tried to stick to names from standard map for a more homey feeling, and these were in general not latin.

Also you think too easily about 'native' way of writing names. In 1419 there were no standardized languages, nor was there a consistent way of writing anything in other language than latin. Use of accents, umlauts and whatever else does not occure in popular writing for many languges till the 19th century so I do not consider it a valid argument. Besides that I find the use of it aesthetical myself as it clutters the map, and it does not look that pretty after conversion from graphic to the game anyway.

If you would be willing to change the names, I should be able to find the Latin names for the majority of questionable provinces.

sorry if this has been asked before but where do I download it from?

As I wrote just 4 posts above this one, nowhere. I intended to put it up to rapidshare servers again but I forgot and right now I have no access to the necessary files. But per 1 november my isp will double my homepage-storage limit to 50mb which means I suddenly have some 30 mb to spare, then I can store the map files there for longer. That server is also more reliable an even faster than my univs :).

Btw, I have been fixing some small issues in India and west Siberia and suddenly I found myself overhauling entirely the previous. Since I kind of concluded that my map could fit better with the post-1700 period anyway (like being actually able to convert the map to vicky, which now is not possible as some states cannot be represented) and while adjusting that I could just as well make it fit with the pre-Mughal conquest as well, I decided to 'waste' the rest of the free id's I had on this area. Right now added 17 provs to India, still thinking of putting an amount between 3 and 8 in it. Of course this will imply the need of more countries here in the beginning but I scripted a few ones earlier already for my private version, guess I can share it with the public ;).

Here are some suggestions for europe:

Kleves = Cleves (English)
Schleswick = Sleswick (archaic E)
Brandenburg = Altmark
Hessen = Hesse (English/French), Hessia/Hassia (Latin)
Wurttemberg = Wirtemberg (archaic E/German)
Thuringen - Thuringia (E/L)
Nurnberg = Nuremberg (E), Norimberga (L), East(ern) Franconia (based on your map)
Wurzburg = Herbipolis (L), West(ern) Franconia (based on your map)
Augsburg = Augusta Vindelicorum (L), Swabia (although SW Germany is also Swabia)
Meissen = Misnia (L)
Lausitz = Lusatia (E/L)
Stiermark = Styria (E/L)
Liegnitz = Lower Silesia
Oppeln = Upper Silesia
Pressburg = Posonium (L), Pozsony (Hungarian)
Poznan = Posnania (L)
Kalisz = Calisia (L)
Malopolska = Cracovia (L)
Warszawa = Varsovia (L)
Halicz = Galicia (E)
Podlasie = Podlasia (E), Podlachia (L)
Sacz = Subcarpathia (present-day E)
Kurland = Courland (E), Curonia (L)
Oselia = Osilia (L)
Dyneburg = Latgalia (L)
Wolhynia = Volhynia (E)
Zyomia = ???
Graubunden = Grisons (F, older E)
Lombardia = Lombardy (E)
Piemonte = Piedmont (E)
Geneve = Geneva (E)
Sjaelland = Zealand

Sweden/Finland:
* Åland (Alandia)
* Ångermanland (Angermannia)
* Blekinge (Blechingia)
* Bohuslän (Bahusia)
* Dalarna (Dalecarlia)
* Dalsland (Dalia)
* Egentliga Finland (Finlandia Meridionalis, Finland Proper)
* Gästrikland (Gestricia)
* Gotland (Gotlandia)
* Halland (Hallandia)
* Hälsingland (Helsingia)
* Härjedalen (Herdalia)
* Jämtland (Jemtia)
* Karelen (Karelia)
* Lappland (Laponia)
* Medelpad (Medelpadia)
* Närke (Nericia)
* Nyland (Nylandia)
* Öland (Oelandia)
* Österbotten (Ostrobothnia)
* Östergötland (Ostrogothia)
* Satakunta/Norra Finland (Finlandia Septentrionalis)
* Savolaks (Savonia)
* Skåne (Scania)
* Småland (Smalandia)
* Södermanland (Sudermannia)
* Tavastland (Tavastia)
* Uppland (Uplandia)
* Värmland (Wermelandia)
* Västerbotten (Westrobothnia)
* Västergötland (Westrogothia)
* Västmanland (Westmannia)

Here are some useful links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_names_of_European_cities