• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Woody Man

SWMH Bretwalda
122 Badges
May 12, 2004
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
**I've wanted to do an AAR for a long time, but never properly got round to it, this has been one of my best CK games ever so I thought even though I missed out doing the AAR bit by bit, I could at least do it retrospectively. It will mostly read like a history book (Hopefully) with bits of dialogue and such thrown in for flavour.**

Just a bit of background, I started this game off in 1187 as the Duchy of Lancaster with my own dynasty, the House of Woodhouse. This AAR should hopefully chart their rise to power in an informative, if not entertaining way.

Enjoy!

Lancaster Castle, England

Anno Domini. 1419. The 27th year of King Richard II’s reign.

The prince sat idly on the stone window step. He gazed out the window at the castle grounds below and watched as the armoured retinue left the castle gates, his father King Richard II, was leaving for France to hold an estates general. Prince Bevan, on his mother’s insistence Bevan stayed in Lancaster, France had been trouble lately, even though the errant Duke of Aquitaine had been brought to heel, his father always kept his eye on the French barons. Even after his father left the castle buzzed with activity as servants prepared for the Christmas celebrations. Bevan slipped off the window step and walked across the thick rug that covered the stone floor. Standing in front of his oak desk he picked up the dark covered book and pushed it open, he flicked through the pages sometimes skimming the Latin inscriptions, other times ignoring them completely. He sighed and closed the heavy tome, Father Grey was late, probably got lost again; the poor man was losing his mind, thought Bevan. It wasn’t surprising for he was getting nearer and nearer to seventy years old. The prince smiled as he imagined the elderly cleric try to navigate through the labyrinthine stone corridors.

Placing the book down upon the desk he walked to the door and swung it open, poking his head out into the corridor he scanned the cold passageway for Grey but could see nought. Bevan walked back into his room and put on his red outer doublet and hefted his sword. The prince admired the weapon fondly; his father had given him the present earlier this year for his fourteenth birthday, among other things, grabbing a hold of the belt wrapped around the leather scabbard he set it about his waist. Striding from his room he met John, his attending sentry.

“I must apologize for my absence, your grace” The soldier apologized bowing his head

“Do not worry yourself, Pray tell, what business kept you away good John?” The prince smiled

“Nature’s business m’lord, of the most uncompromising kind” John laughed, his smile creased the old soldiers face revealing the extent of a long scar that followed from his brow to his bony jaw.

“Have you seen his holiness, Father Grey?” Prince Bevan enquired

“I have not, you have lessons today then?”

“I do, I fear he has become lost”

“It is not surprising, the castle now sprawls across the town”

“Yes, well good sir, I must find my mentor lest he has fallen down a well” The prince laughed infectiously. John grinned; it was nice to see such peace after so many years of war.

“Shall I attend your grace?” John asked

“No, stay here good man, and keep watch, If I were to lose Greys books, all of Gods grace would not save me from his wrath.”

The prince turned and made his way down the corridor and down the spiral steps of the northern tower. He bounded down the dark steps until he came to a heavy wooden door, pushing it open he walked out into the Inner courtyard. Though the marketplace was in the town the courtyard still felt like one. Dozens of men and women made their way in and out of the keep delivering barrels of food and drink.
As the prince made his way through the throng he spotted the elderly priest squatting on the grass his hand held out. As Bevan came closer it became clear he was trying to entice a bird from its hiding place among the crevices in the castle wall.

“Do you see my boy?” Grey asked as Bevan approached him

“A robin!” he exclaimed without waiting for an answer.

“I know, I’ve seen many about, it is winter, why make this an example above the rest?” The boy queried.

“Well, its not in the countryside for one, in fact it seems to envy the bustle of castle life, and stays despite my efforts to the contrary.” The priest answered. “Anyway, I’m not really a bird man myself.”

“I thought you were father” Bevan smirked

“Never was, anyway, come, back to your room, you must study, you are the heir to the throne of England and France, and your fathers many other dominions, a good knowledge of history will help you when you come to rule. You’ve read about Henry IV haven’t you?”

“A bit, didn’t he lose Naples and Spain?” The prince answered warily

“He did, and incidentally, he was not a lover of history, nor of the church. Not like your blessed ancestor Bevan Of Lancaster”

“I’ll do my Kinsmen proud, father, be sure of it”

“We shall see, my boy, we shall see”

Last edited:
An ambitious clan, I suspect.

You know it, and at one point over ambitous, as hopefully you'll soon see. :D

The Dukes of Lancaster Part I

The Cast
Michael Woodhouse, A Knight of Lancaster
The Earl of Suffolk, The Kings captain
King Henry II, the Angevin King of England
King Louis Augustus, The Capetian King of France
Prince Richard, Treacherous son of Henry II

mwlzf2.jpg

The prince and Father Grey ambled back to the tower, as servants and bondsmen dodged around them,

“Its best to start from the beginning my lad” Said the priest stepping over a frozen puddle.

“Before even Bevan of Lancaster, whom some called God’s Sword, for he did truly put great shame and despair upon the infidel when their own godless lands fell before him. Before him, there was Michael of Lancaster, also called Michael De Woodhouse”

“The King prefers you not use French my noble priest” The prince interrupted.

“Of course, Michael the Woodhouse then, he-“

“Why was he called the Woodhouse, it seems a strange name to have” Once again the prince broke the priests concentration

“Well,” Grey started uncomfortably “deep in the forests of Germany, many years ago before blessed god came to these parts, your ancestors dwelled in heathenry, in fact begging your pardon lord, but your family was reputed to be pagan until late into William the Bastards reign. It was said that Woodhouse came from the old Germanic word, Wodas. Perhaps your ancestors were feared berserkers. Thank god your ancestors put that fire into serving the good lord”

“I see… the books never said anything about that” The prince sighed

“Well, raiding, pillaging and raping are not Christian virtues, are they not, young master?” Posed Grey as he opened the heavy door to the tower

“I suppose not”

“Indeed, so, your great ancestor Michael the Woodhouse, was not a nobleman, he was not born into luxury, but he showed his greatness in the year 1187. The Kings of England and France came to blows again. Michael accompanied the Kings army from Southampton and landed in Normandy. From the moment the war started, The French outnumbered Henry II, his own rebellious kin had refused to levy their troops, and even Richard threatened to join with the French against Henry. Still he moved his army south to relieve the siege at Anjou, and Michael and his company of Lancastrians followed.

The cleric paused for breath as he reached the top of the stairs and then began again as they walked through the long corridor to Bevan’s room.

“Outside the castle at Anjou, the armies of Henry II and Philippe Augustus met. Your ancestor was only a gentleman of a company but in this battle he would do a kings worth of fighting. The battle was hard fought and autumn was setting in. As the melee wore on the field became soaked and mired in dirt and blood. The Earl of Suffolk led the bound but was repelled and unhorsed by the French, as his men wavered and fell back, the French struck hard at the English lines beating them back against a nearby woodline. As Suffolk’s routing soldiers caused the English soldiers to falter, Woodhouse and his Lancastrian Company stood firm around the king, pushing back everything the French threw at them, rallying round the Kings banner. As evening began the French faltered in their attacks and withdrew, the English were now so exhausted they could not bear to pursue the fleeing enemy. For his services and gallant conduct, Michael the Woodhouse was knighted and awarded his own coat of arms. For which is the basis of your own royal arms today.”

“I thought Henry lost the war?” The boy asked

“Oh he did, after Anjou he marched the fatigued army southwards to a town called Poiters, in order to relieve the siege there. Once again the French met him, but this time with a fresh army. Henry’s army were no match for the French who quickly put them to flight, the routing Englishmen were pursued into a nearby river, many men drowned, dragged down into the icy water by the weight of their chainmail. Michael saw no choice but to retreat, he himself was wounded earlier in the battle and joined the retreating English in a desperate attempt to cross the river, there seeing his King unhorsed and facing death, he handed his steed to Henry II and bade him escape back to England, there with the many hundreds of men he stripped his chainmail and swam across the river to safety. King Henry fought one more battle before settling peace with the French King Philippe. King Henry lost much of Normandy and Anjou and the French grew ever more powerful.”

war1187gj0.jpg

Key - Red Border - English Possessions
Light Blue - French holdings
Dark Blue - French takings 1188
Red Arrows - The route of Henry II armies

Last edited:
Those are some deeply impressive stats. Woodhouse clearly has the makings of a dynasty in him, hopefully he can prosper despite his king's misteps.

No he had a very nice education, and his stats were pretty good to begin with. It waters down so much though. :(

For your viewing pleasure ladies and gentlemen, I present you with the Pedigree of the Woodhouse dynasty, listing its kin from 1187 to 1419.

dynasty11871419copync9.jpg

Last edited:
The Dukes of Lancaster Part II

The Cast
Michael Woodhouse, The Duke of Lancaster
Bevan "Epee de Dieu" Woodhouse, 2nd Duke of Lancaster, Son of Michael
Gwydion Woodhouse, Earl of the west Marches, 2nd Son of Michael
Emelye Woodhouse, Wife to Prince Henry, mother of King Edmund I and daughter of Michael
Richard I, Prince and King of England 1206-1218
Edmund I, King of England and cousin to Bevan Epee de Dieu
Marie de Hautville, daughter to the King of Naples and wife to Bevan Epee de Dieu
Edward, Earl of Argyll, third son of Bevan Epee de Dieu
Bevan the younger, fourth and favourite son of Bevan Epee de Dieu
Eustace, fifth son of Bevan Epee de Dieu, Marshal of Lancaster
Martin, sixth son of Bevan Epee de Dieu, Earl of York and ancestor of the Dukes of York.

“Did Michael get home?” Asked the Prince

“I don’t think you have been reading your books, my liege” Grey sighed. Michael did indeed survive, with his remaining retinue he made his way through French lands evading those who would take him for ransom or death. He and his few men took ship from Cherbourg to Southampton, it is said that Michael and his followers had to sell everything but the few clothes on their back to pay for passage home. Within a week Michael arrived at the Kings court in Plymouth. And for his gallant service in the French war, Michael was awarded the Duchy of Lancaster, which at the time was a poor county, unlike its neighbour York. Michael built new churches in the county as well as a new court that he would regularly preside over. His judgements were just and fair and the people were happy under his vassalage. In 1203 Michael married his daughter to Richard, Duke of Aquitaine’s eldest son Henry. Michael of Lancaster now had Royal connections through his daughter Emelye. In 1203 Henry II faced the revolt of his son Richard, Duke of Aquitaine. However the war did not last long and Richard soon pledged fealty to his father Henry once more. A year later in 1206 Henry II died, and his son Richard was crowned King of England.”

lancasternm7.jpg

Grey paused for breath and glanced around the room for a chair. It did not take him long to find one and sit upon it facing the young prince who scratched away at the parchment in front of him.

“Richard I didn’t sit around for long, seeking a greater power base in England he invaded the Welsh duchies, although he made only minor gains, Michael of Lancaster did much better, capturing the counties of Powys and Perfedwlad, and granted these out to his two sons, Bevan and Gwydion. You my boy are descended from Bevan. In his final few years Michael absorbed the counties of Man and the Western isles, both pledging fealty to him in spite of their Nordic overlord, and invaded the county of Argyll. These holdings gave him a strong presence in the north in addition to an alliance with the Duchy of Northumberland. In the year 1218, the same year as his King, Richard I Michael Duke of Lancaster died. For his generous donations to the Church and the strengthening of the Catholic Church in Wales, Michael was beatified by first the Archbishop of York and authorised by the pope himself.

beva2nxx3.jpg

His eldest son Bevan inherited Michael’s lands and handed his stake in the West Marches over to his brother Gwydion. Edmund Agevin son of Emelye Woodhouse, and Henry Angevin inherited the crown of England; he was only eleven years old. Bevan Woodhouse, of Lancaster, had been raised by his father himself and was given a military education, he was a brilliant strategist, and some say the best of his day. He was also deeply pious and was reported to have confessed daily. He spent most of his youth either in training or in prayer. But despite these advantages, he had his own vices; he was not a particularly loyal subject and suffered from bouts of vicious anger. He had six legitimate sons by his wife Marie De Hauteville. His first two sons Richard and Henry died when they were young. Court accounts from the period tell us that this had a great effect on the young duke. It was reputed that Bevan disliked his 3rd son Edward so much that he sent him away to Argyll so that he would be out of his sight. He lavished attention on his 4th son Bevan, who would later become King. His 5th son Eustace would become his fathers Marshall and accompanied him on my battles in the Holy Land. And his 6th son Martin would later become the Duke of York through his father and brothers later wars with the Kings of England. Bevan was 41 when he became the Duke of Lancaster in 1218; his sons Edward and Bevan had reached their majority without incident. Bevan the elder spent much of his early reign in relative obscurity. However in 1225, King Edmund attacked his uncle the Duke of Lancaster, fearful of his uncle’s power. Although Edmund had reached his majority, he was still ruled by the southern barons. Bevan, Duke of Lancaster had been waiting for his moment to arrive and met the war with almost fanatical enjoyment. Raising all his levies and quickly marched to York and after defeating the army and successfully seizing the castle, lay his claim as Duke of York. With extra men from his northern provinces and Northumberland’s reinforcements, Lancaster moved south taking Lincoln, and then attacked the Kings capital in Bristol, defeating his armies one by one along the way. When it seemed that Lancaster could not be beaten, Edmund’s French reinforcements arrived. Bevan upon hearing of this news began to move north to meet up with Saxon mercenaries from Lancaster, at Salisbury plain, Bevan, Duke of Lancaster met with Edmund’s reinforced army, Bevan’s weary army of around 10,000 men faced a fresh force of over 20,000, on the plains of Salisbury, Lancaster lacked the defensive terrain he needed to pull off a victory, For him or young Edmund, this would be the final battle. As the fog cleared the two armies moved to face each other in the cold morning. Lancaster, in anticipation of the outcome of the battle bade his son, Bevan to escape, giving him a guard of 200 men he told his son to leave. At first Bevan the younger refused to leave, then in one of Bevan’s famous outbursts he punched his son and threatened him with death if he did not leave. Bevan the younger left and rode north, it was said with tears in his eyes.

“I remember that,” Said the prince “It was in the play wasn’t it?”

“It was, but we can’t always be sure whether it was true or not, the play was written almost 200 years later, remember” Grey answered

“Anyway” The priest continued, “At mid morning the battle began with an exchange between both forces archers, Lancaster seemed to fare better, for his archers were better trained and utilised the longbow, rather than the French crossbowmen and archers of Edmund’s army. Edmund seeking to bring his superior numbers to bear attacked Edward, Count of Argyll and put him to flight. Edward had been placed on his fathers left flank and with his rout, Bevan the elder’s lines were now left with a large gap, which Edmund threw himself and his retinue into. Though Bevan was now 48 years old, he fought ferociously and twice-defeated Edmund in combat, the King was only saved due to the efforts of his kinsmen. The day dragged on, though Lancaster was still outnumbered he and his army fought on inflicting heavy losses. The Earl of Kent himself was pulled from his horse by Lancastrian longbowmen that had taken to the field, he and many other nobles were despatched with ruthless efficiency. In the later afternoon, Edmunds army pulled back and regrouped, they had taken many losses, but so had the Lancastrian forces, Edward, Count of Argyll and his 1500 men were nowhere to be seen. King Edmund advanced again, still under withering longbow fire, once again the bloodied field saw the horror of melee as soldiers waded through the muddied field to strike at each other. The sky darkened and yet the melee carried on, until Bevan the younger, with his retinue of 200 men returned to the battle, seeking only to divert the Kings attention from the Duke, Bevan the younger charged the Kings banner, instead of retreating, Bevan the elder held his place against Edmunds attacks. King Edmund himself was now locked in deadly combat with young Bevan who fought with his fathers fire, surrounded by Lancastrians he was pulled from his horse and speared in the chest by Bevan the younger, as the Kings banner fell his army began to flee, Edmunds more loyal nobles fought to take the severly wounded monarch from the field and escape. As Edmunds army reformed once more and headed to attack, the Lancastrian army retreated from the field and made way for Lincoln.

Last edited:
Judging from that family tree, the Woodhouses have several nations left to conquer. And an empire to divide.

The Dukes of Lancaster Part III

The Cast
Bevan Epee de Dieu, Duke of Lancaster and Zealous Crusader
Bevan the younger, Enemy of the Angevin King
Edward and Eustace, Crusaders with their father
King Edmund I, The weak King and cousin to Lancaster
Andrew Woodhouse, The bastard son of Bevan Epee de Dieu, Bishop of Jerusalem and later Pope.
Eleanor D'artois, The lover of Bevan Epee de Dieu

“I’m afraid in my old age, I must rest more than I used to, I shall return in a few hours, my prince. Until then study your books my boy” Grey smiled.

“I shall” Answered the prince “God be with you father”

Grey slowly pushed himself out of the chair, his knees aching. Slowly he made his way out of the Princes quarters, giving the young man a final nod of the head, he left the room and ambled down the long cold corridor.
Prince Bevan turned away from the door and back to his books and took up where the priest had left off.

Mere days later peace was signed between the Errant Duke of Lancaster and King Edmund, however, Lancaster did not pledge fealty to Edmund and this left England a weakened state, left with another hostile state on its borders. The news of the loss of both Antioch and Jerusalem and the terrible battle of Salisbury forced a peaceful negotiation as the Pope now called for an end to the fighting and a new crusade against the Islamic Kingdoms. Edmund now plagued by stress and illness, did not crusade though he did send a complimentary force that had fought alongside Lancaster’s forces.

crusadefm0.jpg

Despite the previous war, Lancaster was able to raise around 22,000 men for a crusade to Antioch and in early summer 1227, Bevan Woodhouse, Duke of Lancaster set off for the Holy Land, his favourite son, Bevan stayed behind to keep the locals in check, his eldest son, Edward and his younger brother Eustace joined their father in the crusade to Antioch. The crusaders travelled across France, picking up more crusaders and Frankish mercenaries, Lancaster’s army swelled, but crossing the Mediterranean proved to be fatal for many man. Lancaster reached the Holy Land two months after he had set off, his numbers had now dropped to around 18,000 due to disease, desertion and accidents at sea. However this number was more than enough to defeat the Saracen army at Antioch and the city fell quickly. Lancaster wasted no time in converting the population ruthlessly, Islamic holy places were burnt to the ground and practitioners were executed, rumours say that Christians themselves were killed when the crusaders looted the city. After a brief respite Lancaster set out again defeating the Muslims Emirs piece by piece. The Muslim cites of Archa, Hama, Homs, Palmyra and Aleppo fell to the crusaders by 1230. With the creation of a strong crusader state in the north, governed by Lancaster and its safety guaranteed by the signing of Peace treaties with the Muslim states, Lancaster had a rich stronghold to strike out at the Saracen held Jerusalem. Lancaster would not head south for two years, it is in this time he is reputed to have fallen in love with the French noblewoman Eleanor d’Artois, with whom he fathered Andrew Woodhouse “Of Jerusalem”. Although Lancaster was a widower, he never married Eleanor for unknown reasons. Some suggest that she was actually of low birth and likely a camp follower; others dismiss this theory as Angevin Propaganda, as Lancaster was hugely popular at this time. Although Andrew was a bastard, Lancaster was loath to treat him as such and violently repudiated his Spy Master for offering to dispose of the young child. At the age of five, young Andrew was sent to a monastery to learn, perhaps hoping that the child’s piety would make up for his sinful creation, Lancaster put the child in an Ecclesiastical education.

In 1232, Lancaster set off to crusade again, this time his army was made up mainly of Saracen converts and christians from the Holy land, with an army of around 15,000 Lancaster first attack the stronghold of Baalbek, opening the road between Antioch and Jerusalem. The Muslim Sheiks were unprepared for such an attack and already weakened by the french landing in southern Palestine. Defeating a small army at Baalbek, Lancaster captured the town and chased the retreating army to Tyre, there he annihilated the survivors and sacked the town. Then racing southwards to beat the French to Jerusalem he captured Tiberias and then in early 1234 Lancaster surrouded Jerusalem, the french arrived second, and could only watch on as Lancaster stormed the city gates. As Jerusalem fell to the crusaders, news reached Lancaster that his son, Bevan the Younger had made a play for the crown of England with veterans of the earlier wars and crusades, Bevan was heading southwards and had captured Lincoln. Lancaster would not be King, but his son would. Lancaster would stay in Jerusalem for a year, in that time chroniclers write of his increasing stress and illness, at times he would refuse to talk to anyone for days, before confiding in a preist that he heard God talking to him. Although Bevan once again set out to attack the Islamic states in Syria, he rarely fought in combat as he once did, he spent much of his time resting in the shade, often complaining of nightmares in which his late wife haunted him, furious of his later relationship with Eleanor d’Artois. At Bevan the Elders death in 1237 AD he had captured a sizable chunk of the Holy Land, upon his death bed he named Bevan the younger as his heir and cut his elder son Edward from the will. Writers at the time took this as a sign of his growing deceitful nature, late in life his court became a dangerous place to be as Lancaster, plagued by Paranoia himself and forever worried for the problems his elder son Edward could cause he sought to continually outmanuever, in his mind, disloyal vassals. Despite these later illnesses, Bevan The Elder, like his father, was Beatified by the Catholic Church for the overwhelming contribution to Christendom.

bfcrusadetq8.jpg

Last edited:
Aah, so here comes the crusade. I suspect the Woodhouses will do quite well, there's plenty of muslim land for all.

JimboIX said:
Aah, so here comes the crusade. I suspect the Woodhouses will do quite well, there's plenty of muslim land for all.

Well with a Zealot like Bevan the elder it was just a matter of time, maybe he was just waiting for an excuse :p

The Kings Of England, Part I

The Cast
Bevan the younger, The first Woodhouse King
Waleran I, King of England and Bevan the younger's cousin
John Angevin, Marshal of England
Eustace Woodhouse, Marshal and Commander in France
Eleanor de Courcy, Wife of Bevan the younger and first Woodhouse Queen of England
William Woodhouse, Cousin to the King and Duke of Gwynned
Richard Woodhouse, Duke of Anjou and son of King Bevan I
Henry Woodhouse, son of Richard and later King of England

bevanixy4.jpg

Bevan The Elder, Duke of Lancaster died in 1237 AD crusading in the Holy Land. His fourth son, Bevan The Younger was fighting his young cousin King Waleran I of England. His father Edmund I had died soon after Bevan The Elder and left a four year old King on the throne of England. The Dukes and Earls, unwilling to be led to a destructive war did not levy their armies in support of the King and instead watched as the Lancastrian armies fought their way south to the Kings court at Salisbury. Early in February 1238 the armies of Lancaster and King Waleran met on Salisbury plain. Lancasters armies driven on by previous victories and well experienced faced the ailing armies of the King commanded by his uncle, John, Marshal of England. The Royal army, though outnumbered, held their ground on the cold plain, Lancaster’s forces wasted no time and attacked in early morning using the mist to surround the Royalist forces. As the mist began to clear, the Royalist forces were hit by Lancastrian arrows. The Lancastrian centre moved in to attack throwing its whole weight behind it. As the Royalist struggled to hold their ground Lancastrian Knights flanked and surrounded the Royalists. The slaughter ended late in the day as the sky darkened. No Royalist had survived and King Waleran’s court lay open and un-protected. John, Marshal of England had died and two of his own sons lay dead in the field. Bevan The Younger moved to siege Salisbury castle and capture the King. Meanwhile his younger brother Eustace had returned from the Holy Land and raised another army in France to capture the Loyalist strongholds still found in Anjou and parts of Aquitaine. By April Salisbury had fallen and young King Waleran, only five years old was taken back to Lancaster by his cousin Bevan, Duke of Lancaster. France did not show much resistance to Eustace and was quickly subdued.

Declaring himself the protector of young Waleran Angevin and regent of England, Bevan of Lancaster aquired a document signed by Waleran renouncing the Kingship and formally handing it over to Bevan of Lancaster. In a hot summer of 1238 AD, Bevan, Duke of Lancaster was crowned King of England in Westminster and his wife Eleanor De Courcy, Queen, the Barons of England, eager for a stronger King to protect their holdings in France swore fealty and the Royal Woodhouse Dynasty was firmly established.

With a strong base in the North of England, Bevan I wasted no time in subduing the Welsh Dukedoms to the west. With the Strength of a whole Kingdom behind him he captured the Duchy of Gwynedd, granting it to his cousin William, son of Gwydion. Much of Bevan I’s reign was quiet, Waleran was kept in Lancaster as a protection measure against any Angevin rebellions but none came. In 1248 Bevan departed for the Holy Land to fight a war against the invading muslims. The campaign was short but successful. Bevan recaptured the Duchy of Palmyra and signed an advantageous treaty with the Saracens bringing more gold into the royal treasury which would be spent on new buildings. As a result of good harvests and a peaceful reign taxes were low and the economy strong. The banditry in the north of England came to an end and peoples lives were generally happy. The royal court was lavish and well stocked with courtiers. Bevan I had an heir Richard and six daughters by Queen Eleanor.

In 1251 Bevan I travelled to France to defend his holdings from the King of France. After two years of war he had taken back the entirety of Normandy from France and greatly strengthened his position on the continent. His son and heir Richard, Duke of Anjou died fighting the french at the battle of Vexin in 1253 leaving his own son eighteen year old son Henry as heir to the throne of England.

With his lands in England and france safe King Bevan I of England died at the age of fifty-three in 1254 A.D. His grandson, Henry Woodhouse was crowned King Henry III of England.

Last edited:
There must be something about Lancaster that encourages usurpation..Did the Angevins hang on to there duchies?

I fully agree. Let's join now to be able to say in the future "I was one of those who discovered such a little wonder".

JimboIX said:
There must be something about Lancaster that encourages usurpation..Did the Angevins hang on to there duchies?

Well, The Angevins held on to some land in Ireland and Brittany which later joined France, other than that it all went a bit pear shaped for them :)

And thanks for posting again JimboIX!

Severance and Kurt_Steiner

Thanks for your support guys!

The Kings of England, Part II

The Cast
Henry III, the King of England
Prince Bevan, son of Henry III
Catherine de Savoie, Wife and Queen to Henry III
Eustace,great uncle to Henry III and Marshal of England
Guilliame Capet, Prince of France
Louis Capet, King of France
Joan Capet, Daughter of King Louis and 2nd wife and Queen to Henry III
Mahaut Capet, Daughter of King Louis and 3rd wife and Queen to Henry III
Alphonse Woodhouse, son of Henry III and Queen Mahaut, future King of France

henryiiiqg6.jpg

englandhiiidh0.jpg

Henry III's England 1254
English Holdings
Angevin Lands

englishfrancehiiiox1.jpg

Henry III's France 1254
English Holdings
Angevin Lands
French Holdings

Henry III was nineteen at his coronation, the very ideal of an English King, strong, athletic, popular and pious, though at times often too trusting, with the economic and military power base left to him he would do great things in a short reign, yet he would be over shadowed by his son and heir, the later Bevan II, his son by his first wife Catherine De Savoie. Henry III’s reign would be remembered for his advantageous marriages and the strange peacefulness in the Holy Land. England’s greatest enemy would be France. Henry III had formally broken from any ties of homage or vassalage to the French crown.

The Angevin barons in Ireland and Brittany began talks with the French crown for the express purpose of intervention and removal of the new Kings of England. These talks would pave the way for a series of wars lasting sixty years. These battles would later be known as the sixty years war. In 1260 A.D Angevin Brittany swore fealty to the King of France and subsequently declared war on England. Both countries levied much of their population. The armies in France led by the aging Marshal Eustace; great uncle to Henry III led a defensive war, waiting for the reinforcements from England. The continental armies fought for months while the English troops levied. In the latter half of 1260 Rouen fell to the French and Eustace's armies pulled back to Anjou, only a small garrison protected the port of Cherbourg, the only friendly port in the north of France. By the time Henry III had embarked from England, Cherbourg had fallen. But Henry wouldn’t be stopped. In 1261 he beached his fleet on the shores of Normandy rushed inland with an army of 60,000 men, crushing all opposition he ignored the Angevin rebels in Brittany and headed straight for Paris. Eustace’s armies unhindered by the French armies moved south and attacked Orleans. Leading the assault on Paris personally he captured it without siege, standing at the breach he called to his soldiers;

“Once More Unto The Breach Dear Friends! Once More! Or Close The Wall Up With Our English Dead!”

siegeofbresthl6.jpg

After a week of brutal assaults Paris fell and Englishmen ran through the streets looting and pillaging, among the dead were the French Kings dead son Guilliame. The French King Louis had not fled believing it impossible that Paris would fall, upon his capture,Henry declared the war over and demanded the return of lands previously held by England, the Dukedom of Orleans and the hand of his sixteen year old daughter Joan Capet. The French King had little choice except sign being but a prisoner. Freed from any feudal obligations to France and with more land than he had started with King Henry returned to England victorious.

Princess Joan fell ill and did not survive the crossing, French scholars citing a broken heart, English scholars citing a weak constitution that would have not been beneficial to a future Queen of England. Nevertheless King Henry demanded that King Louis send him another. The French King, now a broken man conceding and sent his final daughter Mahaut Capet to Henry. They were married in 1262 and in 1263 she produced a son, Alphonse sole heir to the crown of France. Back in England Henry III began an extensive rebuilding program to help the economy recover after the long war, he gave generous alms to the poor and ordered new churches and castles to help employ those left without jobs.

In 1265 A.D the Angevin-Capet alliance declared war on England again. Rallying his soldiers Henry III left England never to return. Fighting to protect his newly won lands he was wounded by a stray arrow during the second siege of Paris. As siege wore on he developed a fever and finally as the city fell he died in 1266 A.D.

Henry III warrior King of England was thirty one, he left his lands to his eldest son Prince Bevan, who himself was aged fourteen.

Henry III reigns laid the foundation for the Woodhouse claims to France as well as a Truly Christian Holy Land and a rich and prosperous England.

Last edited: