• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Quite the regional powerhouse now. Clearly time to think about further expansion westward.

You continue to expand, defeating every attempt by single state or coalition to prevent the rise of the Roman Republic. I thought you said you were going to annex Rome. On a positive note, the ancient rivalry with Genoa is over, and Venice triumphed.

Whilst you engaged enemies in the West, what happeend to Byzantium? Did someone else annex the state or has it conrinued to expand?

You had a stroke of good fortuine with a CoT in your new colony of Nova Scotia.

stnylan said:
Quite the regional powerhouse now. Clearly time to think about further expansion westward.

Yes. To finish the IUVF (Italian Unification under Venetian Flag) and maybe some colonial wars.

Chief Ragusa said:
You continue to expand, defeating every attempt by single state or coalition to prevent the rise of the Roman Republic. I thought you said you were going to annex Rome. On a positive note, the ancient rivalry with Genoa is over, and Venice triumphed.

Whilst you engaged enemies in the West, what happeend to Byzantium? Did someone else annex the state or has it conrinued to expand?

You had a stroke of good fortuine with a CoT in your new colony of Nova Scotia.

Genoa was an older rivalry than Rome; the rivalry with Rome is now just beggining. Of course they will be annexed.

I still haven't fought the Byzantines. And they continue expanding to the east. They are near Armenia. I'lll declare war on them once I finish "Italian Unification". There will be a great challenge.

It's just still a poor CoT in Nova Scotia, but when the region gets colonised... a lot of furs and naval supplies will make it a rich CoT.

Sorry for lacking the political map, it's because I played until 1602 and Marco didn't die! He begun before 1500! That's why I called him eternal. I use to put the political map when a doge dies, but this one... I promise in 1602 you will have plenty of maps, even Marco being alive.

Chief Ragusa said:
You will not have to declare war on Byzantium, you still have the Morea. They'll get back to you.

Well, they're wisely respecting me until now. They know they are still late medieval (9) in land while I'm renaissance (14), near (15). My fleets are indiscutible stronger, and with naval bonus. They may have land bonus, but I have some free subjects bonus. Now that I achieved full aristocracy I'm changing to free subjects.

PART III - Reconciliation and Revenge

And here we go, exactly the same way the previous part.

Bohemiadow.jpg

"January 10, 1543 : England joined the war on the same side as Bohemia, Scotland, Würzburg, Papal States and Croatia in their war against Venice."

England made a very ugly thing, that made Venice not only don't worry more with the evident english colapse, but work for it to happen even faster. (I hate when someone do this above!!!) But not now, a ruler can't let the feelings speak higher. Just remember Andrea and the disaster this behavior caused. Just add the english to the revenge queue and, for now, accept white peace with them. (You will see that they will REALLY pay)

"July 24, 1543 : We have lost control over Isle Royale to England."
"July 27, 1543 : England have burned our tradingpost in Isle Royale!"

Venice decided that it was time to put an end to the outrageous behavior of the pope and some minor allies of Bohemia. Croatia was easily ocupied and annexed later. But, first Papal States...

ConquestofRome.jpg

Veneto, One day before Leonardo went with the soldiers to fight Papal States
Marco: "I can't believe the pope did it again. The greatest representant of catholics before God, fighting in the same side of HERETICS, that are just trying to destroy us and the faith himself is LEADER! Please tell me my friend Leonardo, there's a possibility God will not be on our side?"

Leonardo: "I'm sure God is very angry with him. He shall certainly have his punishment. And I AM THE PUNISHMENT."

Marco: "Very well, my friend. Then let's put Rome in the place it should never stay out: in the Roman Republic."

Leonardo: "Oh Yeah!!" (And made the rock n' roll sign with his hand).

"November 4, 1543 : We captured the province of Roma from Papal States"
"November 4, 1543 : Papal States accepted our generous peace offer. (Annexation! Now I'm the only Italian piece on board)"

When the pope were surrounded by venetian troops, he was obligated to recognise Marco Barbango and all the dogi, after and before him, as Saints. He promised that, when he dies, his bones would be blessed but not burried under the recently build Sistine Chapel, for the St. Mark Cathedral was then recognised as the center of the catholic world. Some religious proposed to move the Vatican to Veneto, but the venetian people didn't like the idea. And also, St. Mark, patron of Veneto, was proclaimed also patron of all the lands under the new roman republic, and also became the most important saint of the church and the people.

Before the war ended, the engineers of Veneto managed to construct a Shipyard in the city.

And, after Croatia fall, after some time eventually Bohemia accepted white peace.

"September 6, 1545 : Croatia accepted our generous peace offer. (Annexation. Now I'm also the only Slavonic player in the game.)"
"April 28, 1546 : Venice accepted peace with Bohemia on the following terms : Return to Status Quo."

Then begins the reconciliation with France. The Maggior Consiglio realised that, having a big neighbour, where there was no more claims, as ally would be a good deal. Then an extensive (and expensive) diplomatic campaing begun working. We must consider the desire the Doge had for a french princess that was the priority of the Doge in that moment.

"June 22, 1547 : Honorable Lord, our State Gift has enormously improved our relations with France. They should be regarded as our enemies."

"July 26, 1547 : We entered a Royal Marriage with France."

Note another interest behind this reconciliation. France had two cots: Ile de France and Flanders. And, in the middle of this process (reconciliation), the old friends weren't forgot.

"June 10, 1556 : Austria entered our Military Alliance."
"June 10, 1556 : Helvetia joined our Military Alliance with Austria"
"June 18, 1556 : Bavaria joined our Military Alliance with Austria and Helvetia"

"July 1, 1556 : We now have a trade agreement with France."

And, the final objective achieved:

"April 1, 1559 : France joined our Military Alliance with Austria, Helvetia and Bavaria" .

The venetian people then got a feeling of safety never had before. But this feeling was wrong. France only brought instability to the alliance, instead of stability.

"March 17, 1562 : France went with French Moderates in War of Religion in France. "
"July 1, 1563 : The people of French Catholics declared independence from France."
"July 1, 1563 : The people of Huguenots declared independence from France."
"July 1, 1563 : The people of Brittany declared independence from France."
"July 1, 1563 : The people of Netherlands declared independence from France."
"July 1, 1563 : The people of Strassburg declared independence from France."
"July 1, 1563 : The people of Luxembourgh declared independence from France."
"July 1, 1563 : The people of Cologne declared independence from France."
"July 1, 1563 : The people of Baden declared independence from France."
"July 1, 1563 : The people of Kleves declared independence from France."
"July 1, 1563 : The people of The Palatinat declared independence from France."
"July 1, 1563 : The government of France has fallen."

In England, another superpower, there were also many troubles. It was the vengeance venetian people very wished. The rebel leader of the Puritans was even invited to an award in Veneto, but he refused the medal because 1) It was to be given by a catholic and 2) He knew that the venetians used to drink wine as fat old pigs after the awards.

"November 1, 1563 : Civil War in England"
"November 1, 1563 : The people of Puritans declared independence from England."
"November 1, 1563 : The people of Hessen declared independence from England."
"November 1, 1563 : The people of Navarra declared independence from England."
"November 1, 1563 : The people of Turkey declared independence from England."
"November 1, 1563 : The government of England has fallen."

But the doge wasn't still satisfied, and after some years,

"July 2, 1570 : Venice declared war upon England."
"July 2, 1570 : France joined the war on the same side as Venice, Austria, Helvetia and Bavaria in their war against England, French Catholics, Bourbonnais and Navarra."

Austria made his part and went out.

"March 20, 1571 : England accepted peace with Austria on the following terms : Orleanais to Austria."

Venice took Oporto and used it as base to the troops going to England ressuply. Also easily took the turkish province still controled by England.

But unfortunately the frence rebels were much more wild...

"February 1, 1573 : The people of Provence declared independence from France."
"February 1, 1573 : The people of Savoy declared independence from France."
"February 1, 1573 : The people of Flanders declared independence from France."
"February 1, 1573 : The government of France has fallen (again)."

When London was taken, a lot of maps were seized. The venetian soldiers went to the center of london, and shouted in a very clear english: "Burn Mother... ...er!" The english had no alternative but to offer his colonies hoping that the revengefull venetians went home.

"April 3, 1573 : Venice accepted peace with England on the following terms : Antsirana to Venice, Ambovombe to Venice, Massachussetts to Venice, Mahe to Venice, Belle Isle to Venice, Gaspésie to Venice & Cape Verde to Venice."

The vengeance feelings of the venetians were then fully satisfied, when an incident in Tripoli made them upset again. The merchatilist spanish, seeing the wave of merchants flowing to its new trade center, took (wrong) providences.

"January 1, 1577 : A new Center of Trade has opened in Tripolitania."
"February 5, 1577 : Our merchants successfully expanded our trade in Tripolitania."
"February 5, 1577 : Our merchants successfully expanded our trade in Tripolitania."
"February 5, 1577 : We have competed for trade in Tripolitania and Spain lost a merchant."
"February 6, 1577 : Spain refuses our merchants access to their Centers of Trade!"

The venetian merchants became very angry and went to speak with Marco. That was the behavior that made the republic work. Merchants talking about money in Venice, that's the law.

Merchants: "We know they are a big power, but something has to be done."

Marco: "I doubt we can convince these narrowminded of something... specially WE, talking about TRADE with SPAIN, who we refuse trade!."

Merchant: "If we provide funds, do you agree to write a declaration of war on them?"

Marco: "As you wish."

"March 5, 1577 : Venice declared war upon Spain."
"March 5, 1577 : Georgia joined the war on the same side as Spain, Novgorod, Ethiopia, Portugal and Eire in their war against Venice."

In principle, it was hard to beat the joint portuguese-spanish navy, but when the portuguese went out (not before burning the trading post in Mahe (later colonizated by Turkey), but they will not be avenged, since they are already weak enough, having not even his most obvious province, Oporto), things begun to change.
The two italian islands were fully ocupied. Forces were sent to Iberia, and managed to conquest Catalunya, Aragon, some other provinces and the capital, Madrid, revealing many unknown lands of the new world. Spain offered a lot of colonies for peace, but Venice didn't wanted it (they could easily retake the colonies...). Venice wanted what was her. Venice wanted to realize the dream of a unified Italy with capital in Veneto. And the venetians wanted to trade in Tripolitania. The spaniards had to give in from his italian lands and from the embargo, although the embargo from Venice against them continued.

"October 27, 1581 : Spain accepted our generous peace offer. (Sardinia, Sicily and Messina to Venice. Now the whole Italy is finally unified under venetian flag!)"

And this part ends here, now that there's no more things to avenge.

The eternal Barbango did the right thing annexing Rome and putting the Pope in his place. All those extra years of life were his reward. Maps and colonies, how generous of the English to give them to you!

The collapse of both France and England could not have come at a better time for you.

Heavens. Things falling all over the place in Western Europe with both France and England imploding like that. But you've done well to steer clear of all of that, and now Italy is yours! Looks very pretty. Now the eternal question - east or west?

Chief Ragusa said:
The eternal Barbango did the right thing annexing Rome and putting the Pope in his place. All those extra years of life were his reward. Maps and colonies, how generous of the English to give them to you!

The collapse of both France and England could not have come at a better time for you.

Well thought, now I can justify the fact that the silly AI don't give me another ruler. Marco became saint, so he just can live many years!
And England and France, that normally unify their countries, are like Italy in the Beggining. And Italy, normally a caotic area, are Unified like France and England use to do. This is nice! :cool:

stnylan said:
Heavens. Things falling all over the place in Western Europe with both France and England imploding like that. But you've done well to steer clear of all of that, and now Italy is yours! Looks very pretty. Now the eternal question - east or west?

Then I'll tell you: east (although colonization won't stop).

I can't wait to post the next post, where there are a lot of maps for you to know the domains of Venice all over the world, and other stuff about the conjuncture of 1602.

Part IV - The Question of Bosnia

For years, the relations beetween Venice and Byzantium weren't good. Venice claimed for a land connection beetween Morea and the rest of the country, and Byzantium wish a way to Bosnia, an isolated territory controled by rebels.
Was in venetian interests to solve the problem of the rebels in Bosnia, for Slavia was an instable region, where the presence of three religions gave all the possible ingredients for the regional tension. And, these rebels from Bosnia spread the feeling of revolt in the neighboor provinces. This situation needed urgently a solution.
The proud of Venice wouldn't allow Byzantium troops to pass through venetian territory to attack the rebels, because until that moment Byzantium refused Venice the right of a land connection to Morea, only using a road in Hellas. So, the Maggior Consiglio took the following decision:

"November 27, 1582 : Venice declared war upon Byzantium."

Venice had technological superiority, and won most of the battles. The allies of Byzantium (none worth of preocupation) soon knew that the war wasn't a good deal and offered white peace. After taking all the byzantine provinces in Europe and Smyrna, the war finally ended the trouble of the rebels. However, the war was hard and took three years and many lifes and resources of the state. And the problem of the land connection to Morea was still in the minds of Venice.

"July 4, 1585 : Venice accepted peace with Byzantium on the following terms : Rumelia to Venice, Wallachia to Venice, Bosnia to Venice & Transylvania to Venice."

Venice gave freedom to the people of Siebenbürgen, making them vassals of Venice, just after the end of the first war against Byzantium. But this wasn't enough to bring together the world opinion to venetian side, since world was ruled most by Kings, and the expansion of a Republic made them worried. This fact was known as a primitive cold war, because of its ideological nature: people in the whole world begun asking themselves, what is better? Monarchy of Republic?

In France, people begun to see light. In a memorable event, leaders of the French Catholics and Huguenots recognised each other's rights and the hope to live in peace under the same kingdom was happily accepted by the french king. Venice liked it, since she had the intention to continue the friendship with France.

"August 3, 1589 : France had At the Walls of Paris . "
"August 3, 1589 : France annexed Huguenots."
"August 3, 1589 : France annexed French Catholics."

But Austria, one year later, declared war, against the will of the Doge, that didn't wanted a new war against Bohemia. This fact remarks the beggining of the colapse of the traditional austro-venetian alliance. But the Doge gave in, joining the war. And the war ended with no political changes, while the Maggior Consiglio found it was time to another war against...

"August 1, 1591 : Venice declared war upon Byzantium."

This one was very similar to the first; Byzantine allies abandoned them early, the technological difference gave victories to Venice, Thrace and many provinces occupied by Venice, and the Emperor offered peace giving more territories to the Republic. Now, people were free to travel by land to Morea.

"July 5, 1593 : Venice accepted peace with Byzantium on the following terms : Smyrna to Venice, Hellas to Venice Bulgaria to Venice."

Before this, some important events happened.

"January 1, 1592 : A new Center of Trade has opened in Mazatlan. (A spanish colony, don't remember if north or south of Mexico)"

"June 1, 1592 : The people of Huguenots declared independence from England."
"June 7, 1592 : Huguenots accepted peace with England on the following terms : Full Annexation of Huguenots by England"
A good trial!

So, these new conquests left the possibility of releasing another vassal, maintaining a continuous border. So, in December 7 1593, the Doge annouced that the people of Wallachia was now free and could count with Venetian protection.

What the english huguenots hadn't achieved, the catholics did. They stabilished a new country composed of Callais and Caux. The government in London fell again, giving the catholics a chance to live.

The Maggior Consiglio anxiously awaited exactly five years to declare war again on Byzantium. No need to tell how was the third war, for the history was the same of the first and second.

"October 3, 1598 : Venice declared war upon Byzantium."

Before the end of this war, France declared war upon Provence, Austria dishonored, entered another alliance and never more was friend of Venice. The Doge liked, since he had some future plans regarding Austria. Venice soon left this war, since the french king himself asked to Venice to accept the white peace Provence should probably offer. He said it was his own problem.

But Venice knew that, hardly she would never more sleep in peace, since other countries were eager to fight because of the ideologic conflict already explained, and problems with war exhaustion left Venice in a dangerous situation. Relations were quickly deteriorating, and constant gifts to the allies were necessary to maintain the alliance.

So ended the first war against Byzantium, that except their famous capital, had no more territories in Europe.

"February 2, 1603 : Venice accepted peace with Byzantium on the following terms : Macedonia to Venice, Anatolia to Venice, Antalya to Venice & Konya to Venice."

Apendix to Part IV: A Study of the Conjuncture

Maggior Consiglio of the Year of the Lord One, 1603

Marco Barbango: Good day, my friends. I begin this counsil presenting you these smart men. This is Enrico, teacher of Geography and Cartograph in Milan; Giuseppe, military strategist, colonel of the Republic Army; Antonio, teacher of Theology and Bishop of Veneto; Jean-Louis, a french mathematician that teachs in Pisae; Paolo, notable diplomat and baronet in Piemonte and, finally, Marcello, an expert navigator, in front of the colonial matters. They are here to give us some precious information, about our most important topics. Let's hear them. Please, Enrico.

Enrico: Well, I have made the most recent map of our contry, surrounded by its neighboors, as asked by you. Here's it:

borders.jpg

Giuseppe: We have to note, in my perspective of a man of war, the danger Poland present us. They are very big, and we are at war against them right now. The presence of Austria, that is no more our friends, in France, is an opportunity in my opinion. I think one day they will declare war upon us, and maybe France can take some provinces, however I think we must stop expansion. In this case, all we can do is vassalisation. We have some war exhaustion now, but there will be no lack of opportunities. Imagine vassals Bohemia, or even Poland???

Enrico: You are right, we can't support a greater territory in Europe right now, since stability cost is very high and we can't invest in technologies in the way we would like to do, the famous "all in", that the poker players know very well. I think that, we should avoid wars, even giving in gold, because we aren't strong enough to fight the world, and we desperately need to reduce war exhaustion.

Everybody seems to agree.

Paolo: That's right. I have here in my hands a map that shows how our relations are going.

politicalmap.jpg

As you can see, except our allies, we have no friends. They all are potential enemies. We are hated throughout the world, and we don't need much efforts to find enemies. We need to have a better reputation and to keep at all costs our allies and vassals in good relations.

Marcello: We have also to consider that we have capable neighboors in our colonies, with power to make serious injuries there. Our colonies aren't well protected. This is another reason to avoid wars with colonial power in this moment.

Antonio: Gentlemen, I wholeheartedly agree with your words. But I must introduce in this discussion another subject. The religious problem. Please look at this to see the religious demography in our territories, and around it. We haven't been sending missionaries to the east for more than a century, although there are a lot of heretics to be converted. The more urgent province to be converted, in my opinion, is the protestant Banat. This can allow us to have zero tolerance to protestants.

religiousmap.jpg

Marco Barbango: The bishop is right, now that we won't expand for some time, I'll prepare as soon as possible funds to a religious mission in Banat, and I'll put you, Antonio, as chief of this mission. But, my friends, I would like to talk more about the colonies. Marcello, please show the maps you got in your travels.

Marcello: Immediately, sir.

coloniesn_america.jpg

These are our colonies in North America. They are rich in Furs. But the red point in the center are english. Would be nice to paint it of green.

Above are the colonies in South America. We have no more colonies in America. I noted there the way to Cape Verde, an important supply base that I use in my travels, but that I have no maps here with me, to show you. I beutyfull island, I must say.

coloniess_america.jpg

The other place we have colonies is south Africa. We have also a trading post in Damman, that I also noted in the map above. This is the focus of our colonial efforts, right now. Here, we have the undesired presence of the dutch, as you can see.

coloniess_africa.jpg

Well, I think I covered all the extension of our colonies with this explanation.

Marco Barbango: Thank you, Marcello. From my part, I have to present you our domestic policies. I also call your atention to the english presence in Portugal, that I can't believe even today, nor accept. Then, I ask you, Jean-Louis, that tell us some numbers about our lovely republic, and compare it to the most relevant rivals.

domesticpolicies.jpg

Jean-Louis: As you wish, sir. The intention of the works of the mathematicians before me, was to include data about Helvetia (not the actual, but the older, that was annexed by France), Turkey (ended up annexed by Byzantium), Genoa and Papal States, that now compose our nations. As these countries no more exist, all the data I can use to compare is with France, Austria and Spain. Please, see the evolution of the countrysize since 1419.

territorysize.jpg

In the graphic above, I noted the period of the war against Milan, and you can have the dimension of the disaster that took place then.

victorypoints.jpg

And, I have here, with me, a graphic that show the inflation. It shows clearly that Spain is in a deep economical crisis.

inflation.jpg

Well, this is all I have to say.

Marco Barbango: We have to make reflections about all the informations presented here. Let's make a brief reccess now, then we come back to reach a consent. Thank you.

All in all Venice has become quite the dominant power she always pretended to be, if never actually quite managed, irl. I think I would finish off Byzantion just on general principles.

Now I desperately need to decrease bad boy and war exhaustion, and to try (even with the poor administration habilities of Marco) to convert some provinces. I'm even thinking in release Albania as vassal.

Releasing Albania may not be such a bad move. A poor wrong-religion wrong-culture province right? Get rid of it. The benefit from reduced stability costs and the like will probably be worth it.

You should be able to release some of your Anatolian provinces as well; those that are wrong religion and wrong culture.

You may need to mint to drastically improve relations with people who have a permanent CB on you and no truce, as well as to fund missionaries to convert wrong religion provinces.

Yes. I only think that I won't manage to convert, since Marco's admnistrative abilities is very poor; for example, to convert Banat, slavonic and about 15000 inhabitants, the chance to convert is 43%. The greek provinces, all less than 40%. And what about the possibility to manually kill Marco? It's not historical a leader that rule more than 100 years. What do you think?

And, there's no vassals that could be made in Anatolia.

43% is actually fairly good as far as things go in EU2.

You could write or modify an event to sleep Marco and wake whoever ought to be ruling or edit the savefile and do something about the culture/religion issue based on the choices you have made in previous events. Equally important is how you think Venice would deal with an Empire of the size you now have.

stnylan: Well, I don't think so. Even in this game, I failed to convert Crete 3 times (still orthodox) and Morea 1 time, when the chance in all the cases were more than 50%. Morea was converted by a heresy event.

Meynolds: BB is something like 63 or 64, don't know exactly.

Chief Ragusa: I'll see if I can write an event. But I never wrote one before, so if I found difficult can someone help?