• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part V: The end of the Empire

"December 11, 1604 : The people of Albania declared independence from Venice."
"December 11, 1604 : Albania are now our vassals."

After giving independence to the poor, orthodox and wrong albanians, Marco named the Bishop Antonio as his interior minister, thus giving him the power to restart the missionary activities stopped for more than a century.

ExcelentMinister.jpg

The mints worked at full capacity, to provide the funds for the missions. More governors were promoted, and to help, the next year was an exceptional year. It seemed that the Barbango's luck was back. And, after more 100 years of activities, he learned all that a good leader needs to know. And the minister Marco, after showing good results, gained the Marco's trust, and stood there with Marco until... nobody knows.

(In game, what really happened was that I took the right to manually trigger the excelent minister event, just to convert Banat, that was my objective. Then, before that event ends, the same event happened and... the effects of that event didn't stop.)

ExceptionalYear.jpg

Venice then managed to end his nonsense wars against northern countries, at a price of 25 ducats to Scotland and 25 to Denmark. However, Wallachia got a very good peace treaty with Denmark.

"September 5, 1606 : Wallachia accepted peace with Denmark on the following terms : Denmark pays 200$ in indemnities. "

Antonio, in fact, started an extensive missionary activity in Balkans, and got very good results, even unexpected ones, but some fails in the middle of the process. The good results are shown above:

Province . . . .Date of conversion
Bosnia............April 1, 1607
Macedonia......October 2, 1607
Crete.............December 1, 1607
Rumelia..........April 22, 1609
Banat............November 18, 1610
Bulgaria..........March 20, 1611
Hellas............February 28, 1613
Serbia............July 13, 1616
Smyrna..........September 28, 1617

And the influence of Antonio also took place in external politics.

"March 7, 1617 : Venice is now the sole defender of the Catholic faith."

Explorer.jpg

This explorer set sail to the uncharted waters of the pacific ocean, discovering some islands plus New Zealand, Australia and gold in New Guinea, before he dies. He was of great help to the colonial development of the republic.

In May 1, 1617, the Maggior Consiglio decided that no one else could be called roman empire, so the total destruction of Byzantium was necessary, and the Declaration of War was delivered to the emperor. Again, Venice used its supperior warfare and reliable navy and the result was good. Byzantium had recently annexed Turkey and its Mahe TP. This is how Mahe came back to venetian hands, after being burned by the portuguese some time ago.

"May 3, 1620 : Venice accepted peace with Byzantium on the following terms : Adana to Venice, Trabzon to Venice, Mahe to Venice & Angora to Venice."
"May 3, 1620 : The people of Turkey declared independence from Venice."
"May 3, 1620 : Turkey are now our vassals."

As the stability cost and Bad Boy were very high, the Maggior Consiglio determined that Turkey had its right to exist under venetian "protection", and then released it as vassal. At this point, things were hot in England-France.

"May 1, 1621 : The people of Huguenots declared independence from England."
"May 1, 1621 : The government of England has fallen."
"May 1, 1621 : England converts to Catholic."

The Huguenots eventually forgot their rivalry against French Catholics and they formed a good alliance in the future.

Marco also invested in manufactories. Corsica and Messina gained Naval Equipments; Emilia and Napoli gained Refinery; Bulgaria and Krain, Weapons.
The objective was to reach soon level 6 infra, to build goods manufactories in Siena and Lombardia.

However, the objective of destroing the empire was more urgent, so another DoW was made. This time, that was the result.

"February 5, 1627 : Venice accepted peace with Byzantium on the following terms : Armenia to Venice, Kurdistan to Venice & Sivas to Venice."
"February 5, 1627 : The people of Armenia declared independence from Venice."
"February 5, 1627 : Armenia are now our vassals."
"February 5, 1627 : The people of Dulkadir declared independence from Venice."
"February 5, 1627 : Dulkadir are now our vassals."

(What a full day for the diplomats...!)

Exactly five years later, like a clock, the sixth and final war against the empire begun. The city of men's desire, now is part of the roman empire.

HomeBase.jpg

And the colonies also grew. Netherlands is a cause of preocupation:

Argentina.jpg

Australia.jpg

SAfrica.jpg

There was also a religious map, showing that in the european territories, only Thrace remains orthodox. I lost it. Would be possible to convert Thrace?

Yes it is possible to convert thrace, but you will likely have to have several goes at it.

It costs a lot to convert Thrace and you may well need several attempts and they will revolt crying Orthodox forever. Impressive colonies and the explorer found you quite a bit -Venetian New Zealand.

Poland looks like it may be your biggest rival.

stnylan: Ok, I'll try. Let's see how many attempts.

Chief Ragusa: It actually costs more than pretty 2000 ducats. And, Australia and New Zealand shall speak italian!

SunZyl: Thanks, I agree that Thrace must be converted. In principle, I wanted an original name, but I must confess that your high quality AAR had influence in the choice.

Chief Ragusa said:
That's a lot of ducats. I suppose you could mint. Good luck with the attempt. Hopefully, they won't recreate Byzantium.(er ,,,)

No, Byzantium don't need to be recreated, since it's part of the roman empire. The only thing different is that Constantinople is no more the capital.

Part VI: Honor et Gloria

With the conquest of Byzantium, the republic looked more like the Roman one. However, the desire for expansion in Venice wasn't over. There were many targets: The Mameluks; The Knights; Crimea (Kaffa and Kerch); Cyprus; England (Stadacone and other TP in North America); Spain (Argentina) and Netherlands (South Africa and Uruguai).

In this period, Venice achieved many of its objectives. She liberated the christians in Lebanon and conquered Alexandria and Isfahan from the Mameluks, having then control of all mediterranean CoTs. She also annexed Cyprus and Crimea, and converted to Catholics these provinces. And eliminated the Orthodox church from its territories, with the conversion of Thrace, which had some troubles and needed 2 attempts: in the First, byzantine dissidents killed the missionaries before they could have completed their task. Also Tripolitania (Yes, I it was conquered from Spain) and Kurdistan leaved their muslim faith and adopted Catholicism. From muslims, only Antalia are still to be converted; Only in Alexandria and Isfahan, the muslims shall have religious liberty. These were the achievements in the east.

The economy and trade grew; After the 2 new CoTs in Alexandria and Isfahan, a new one opened up: Macquarie.

CoTMacquarie.jpg

The mint, necessary to fund the missionary activity, generated some inflation that the strong financial system soon eliminated, with the creation of the National Bank of Venice.

Bank.jpg

And Venice increased her tech levels; Infra and Trade went to level 7, and 2 goods manufactories were built: one in Lombardia, other in Siena.

But there are more good news: Venice engaged in a war against Spain, which couln't have a better result. The spanish TPs in Canarian Islands, San Matias and Buenos Aires were burned, and venetian ones built in the place. Spain also ended the war weakened, because three new vassals of Venice were made from its territories: Catalunya, Granada and Tunisia. Tripolitania stood directly administred by Venice, and Imediatelly missionaries were sent, despite the low chance of success (they succeded in first trial, and unbelievable, Kurdistan too). The situation in western mediterranean:

WesternVassals.jpg

England and Netherlands were allies; Venice caught both in a single move.
The english TP in Canada was burned, and they had to give Stadacone. Now their colonies in North America are restricted to one in Louisiana and others in Southern - USA. And the TPs of Netherlands in South Africa were burned, recolonizated by Venice. The TPs in Uruguai were also burned, but no colonization attempts by Venice were made. The situation in colonies:

SAmerica.jpg

Argentina

Australia.jpg

Australia

SAfrica.jpg

South Africa

NAmerica.jpg

Canada

Territory.jpg

Venice

Meynolds said:
That's some impressive colonization!

Are you going to attack the Native American nations?

What are your further colonization plans?

One day I'll attack native americans in Canada. But I don't know when. I'll try to colonize New Zealand, New Guinea and Viti Levu (don't know exactly how to write this province). I'll also try to explore the western coast of North America, if possible. And, I won't promise, but if I see possibility to get something from China (recently annexed Nippon)... who knows?

Very extensive. Just shows what you can do when you put your mind to things.

Great, a good monarch rise to the throne. Good work in the Mediterranean, few things can actually threaten you now. The Thrace conversion went better than most if us must've believed. Will you reannex Albania?

Thank you for the compliment on my AAR BTW.

Thrace converted in only two attempts and despite the killing of the first missionary, they did not revolt away, restablishing Byzantium.
Venice appears to have world colonisation on its mind.

What's the BB these days?

SunZyl: I don't know what to do with Albania. All I can say is I want that all provinces in mediterranean, to be either venetian territory, or territory of a vassal of Venice. The next diplomatic challenge will be to invite France to a irresistible offer of vassalisation. Maybe force vassalization of Spain and Austria. Let's see what I'll do in the game (even I don't know exactly).

Chief Ragusa: Doing some math... I believe it's beetween 70 and 80. (All I can say about BB is estimatives, cause I can't see it in numbers when I put the mouse over the reputation. Don't know if I'm doing wrong of the version I play doesn't has it). And world colonization? It's not a bad idea. How about "everyone must be either Venice or vassal of Venice"? Don't know if I can do it.

Leumatiello said:
Chief Ragusa: Doing some math... I believe it's beetween 70 and 80. (All I can say about BB is estimatives, cause I can't see it in numbers when I put the mouse over the reputation. Don't know if I'm doing wrong of the version I play doesn't has it). And world colonization? It's not a bad idea. How about "everyone must be either Venice or vassal of Venice"? Don't know if I can do it.

It's always worth a try! ;)

Judging from the shields I would be highly surprised if hovering the mouse would help. It's possible to look up in the savefile though.

SunZyl said:
It's always worth a try! ;)

Judging from the shields I would be highly surprised if hovering the mouse would help. It's possible to look up in the savefile though.

I looked in the savefile (thanks for the Idea, and excuse you and Meynolds for the false numbers), and it was far from my estimative. I had 122 BB!

And excuse also for the long wait.

Part VII: Exploration and Discoveries

Venice engaged only one enemy this time. The Knights were refusing to be integrated into venetian territory. So, Venice first invaded and conquered Malta. Then, invaded and conquered Rhodes. It must be said that, The Knights were a very hard enemy to beat. They had leaders, and to invade their large-fortress islands with lots of men guarding it is a tough challenge. To do the siege, reinforcements had to be constantly sent to the islands, because it suported only 6k men (Malta) and 4k men (Rhodes). In the end, as always, Venice prevails.

Venice also gained a explorer, but soon the naval tech reached 28 and then all navies could do the job. Soon, there were no more uncharted waters to Venice. When China was discovered, the Doge sent a state gift to the Emperor. He became a good partner to Venice, and happily gave maps of their gigantic domains. Venice showed them a nice map of Europe and some colonies, that China didn't waited a second to start colonizing. China estabilished colonies in Indonesia and the Horn of Africa.

China.jpg

But not everything was explored when the maps were exchanged, and China had no access to some pretty exciting new lands the venetian explorers has just discovered. Colonization started immediately, and armies are to be sent to control the agressive indians there.

California.jpg

And, the old colonies are reaching maybe its largest territory. France also gave some maps to Venice, of the Great Lakes, but before Venice even had knowledge of China.

Canada.jpg

Canada

Later I'll bring maps of Argentina (Now with Falklands!), Australia, New Zealand and New Guinea fully colonized and South Africa with its new colonies (east of Madagascar, two islands...) Unfortunately, Santa Helena was already owned by France.

I imagine between China and Venice world trade would be nicely cornered.

stnylan: And, BTW, Venice has Trade agreement with China.

SunZyl: Yes, diploannexation. I'm thinking in release the nippons from chinese rule...