• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lalalilo

Second Lieutenant
3 Badges
Apr 24, 2004
  • Europa Universalis III
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
This will be a polish AAR played with the AGCEEP mod on a 1.08 patch(i think it is the most recent one) on a normal/normal setting. I have been playing EU2 for a long time but have never tried a modded game. I hope this is a good mod. This is also my first AAR so i hope you all enjoy it. If i missed any important information or you are interested in any specific info just ask freely. I will check and try to update this thread once every day but if there isn't any progress for a few days please don't get upset i will get to it as soon as posible. I will also try to add some historical flavor to my AAR so if you are from any specific country/religion/region and so on please don't feel offended by this AAR it's only a game. there will probably be no screens cause i havent worked out how to post them here but if by any chance i do somehow ill definetly post them. So without any further ado Ladies and Gentleman I bring to you:

The White Eagle - A polish AAR​

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for eliminating that B/ thingy in the Header. So i'll have one reader not bad. Oh and sorry about that huge White Eagle title i didnt know font seven makes it look so big i never wrote with these parameters (clor size and font) before. I also may not know all the english equvelents of names, cities treaties and so on. I'll try to make out the names if I don't know them but they may not be accurate, I hope it doesnt't distract too much.

O.K. Let's begin

Poland's historical backdrop before 1419

After the reign of Kazimierz Wielki (Casimerus the Great) (King 1333-1370) the Kingdom of Poland emerged strengthened internally. Casimerus managed to break the Teutons alliance with the Czechs but was unsuccessful in regaining either Silesia(from the latter) or Danzig(from the Teutons). As a sort of recompensation Poland managed to incorporate a big part of Galich with Lwow and vassilaze Masovia. The Cracow Congress of 1364 was a sign of Polands newly gained power .

Unfortunately this success was shortlived. Casimerus had no male heirs so Poland was forced into a personal union(two countires ruled by one King) with Hungary [the King of Hungary Ludwig overthrew Casimerus testament which made one of his grandchildren (a bastard one if im not mistaken) king of Poland]. Even though the union lasted only 12 years(until the death of Ludwig in 1382) it had a disastrious effect on Poland [The nobles rose in strengh (lower taxes were given to make sure that after Ludwigs death the nobles would appoint his wife as ruler ), all sorts of power struggles between nobels, and the King's (as in position not one specific ruler) power began to decline].After Ludwig's death the union with Hungary was over and in 1384 Jadwiga (Ludwigs wife) was crowned "King of Poland". But a King was needed so Poland's eyes turned to the east to search for a worthy Candidate...

In 1385 Poland and the until then pagan Lithuana went into a personal union with each other (the Creve union???(Krewa)). Jagiello was baptized and elected by the nobles in 1386 to become Polands King by means of marriage to Queen Jadwiga. The relations between the two countries weren't that great [Poland understood the union as a sort of incorporation of Lithuana to the Crown(Poland's lands were called this way) , while Lithuana thought of it as a sort of partnership union were the two are equal]. Jagiellos brother (a bit simplified) Witold was appointed Great prince of Lithuana with Jagiello still holding the highest power over Lithuana. But all differences were pushed aside when in 1409 an anty-teuton rebellion engulfed zhmud. Jagiello approved the rebellion and because of this the Teutonic Order declared war on Poland and Lithuana...

In 1411 a peace was signed. The victory of the combined armys of Poland-Lithuana-Rutheinian-Tatars over the Teutonic Knights at Tannenburg in 1410 wasn't used to it's full potential (only marginal border changes to Polands advantage) because of differences between Jagiello and Witold (Jagiello wanted to control Lithuana completly and would probably turn on Witold after winning with the Teutons so Witold couldn't allow poland to grow too powerful). Poland tried regaining Danzig using the popes help but to no avail. Poland also waged a war with the Teutonic Order which is not exactly well described. "The Hunger War" "Wojna Glodowa"(1414-1418) was a war that consisted of the sieges of Konigsberg, Malbork and Klajpedia (not sure of the third one though). All local towns and villages in a couple mile radius of these cities were pacified so no food could be delivered to them (hence the name). But Poland alone didnt have the money to continue this war by herself and make the sieges full proof. So it ended in a white Peace. And so the year 1419 began and Polands situation is as follows...

Poland's Situation in 1419

Domestic Affairs

In 1419 King Wladyslaw Jagiello decieded to bring change to his realm. Up untill 1418 he always seemed content with what went on in his realm.His skills in trade, production and administry were high. But it seemed that the decentralization and nobles influences were neglecting these skills as they were just a little bit below their highest possible positon. Slowly he was begining to get fed up with constantly needing the nobles approval to do anything. In his own Kingdom, given to him by Gods will he began to think of himself as a mere pawn in their inner struggles for power. They were the ones dictating the country's inner growth. He saw how production and free trade were suffering because of this. But in order to change this he needed some backing from a stronger plutocracy and to increase centralization. For this patince was needed, as just mentioning the idea of free subjects once almost lead to a rebellion of Nobles in Cracow. The King then understood that these plans needed more discretion and were to be introduced at a later time gradually. Besides The King had already started an uproar with changes done to...

Religous Affairs, Research and Development

The King had always believed in the dominant position of the Catholic church. He never thought of questioning the churchs authority. His reign as King of Poland didn't seem to have any effect on this. But in 1418 a change in this was noticable. Poland which was neither narrowminded nor inventive had taken a little step in the direction of the latter. In the beginning of 1419 The King had made an even bigger investment in inventivness whhich caused a loss in Stability. The King also equaled the rights of the Orthodox and Catholics. To offset this all muslims weren't to be tolerated any longer and whatever scarse rights and privelages they had were stripped from them. This had eased the Church at least for some time.

The King also deceided that Poland would invest nearly everything into their infrastructure and army development. Small amounts were to be used for trade and navy research, while stability and the treasury were to receive no money. The King had somehow managed to raise a large sum of money (nearly 500 ducats),if only he had this amount in 1414 the hunger war might have had a different outcome. In order to stop the loss of money the army was to be kept at half its readiness. The King hoped that he would have enough time to get them up to shape in case they were needed because he believed he would be the one dealing the cards in...

International Affairs

The King having strong ties with Lithuana deceided that there is no point in trying to gain provinces to the east. It is far more beneficial to keep an alliance and good relations with Lithuana. In case of trouble from her Eastern neighbours (Muscowy, Novgorod or Ryazan ) Poland would act depending on the situation it would find itself in.
Jagiello believed that Poland should concentrate its efforts on dealing with the Teutonic Order. Hoping to gain access to the sea by retaking Danzig and if a chance came up even expanding to the east by grabbing the historically Polish province of Kutrzin from them.
Another possibility of gaining access to the Baltic was taking Hinter-pommerania but Jagiello wondered if this could be done by means of Diplomacy.
Poland also had it sights set on Silesia which was under the Czech's sphere of influence for too long now. Such a rich province. If ever a slight possibilty arouse Poland was to exploit it.
But for now Polish plans for expansion in Hinter-pommerania and Silesia had to be kept a secret. Jagiello wouldn't want these countries to ally themselves with the Teutons. One Czech-Teutonic alliance in the past was more than enough.
Poland would also try to annex it's two vassals:Masovia and Moldovia
On the matter of other Catholic countries Poland would try to keep the best possible relations preferablly by means of royal marriages. Relations with Orthodox(except Moldavia) and Moslem countries were to be abandoned.

PL1419text.jpg

Rumors and Events

The cause of these changes in the Kingdoms Policies and the source of the new money in the treasury remain a mystery. Some spoke that the changes coincided with the arrival of a new rich courtier but peasent and burgheous talk shoudn't be taken seriously...

Last edited:
A detailed, but nicely fabulous description of your in game actions... Hopefully you will not get bored by such a detailed (hi)storytelling.

I have picked up some spelling errors, if you don't mind... It is:

Polish King, or King of Poland, not Poland's King (this 's prefix applies to persons only)

Lithuania not Lithuana

armies not armys (if a substantive ends with an 'y' it changes to 'ies' not 'ys' in plural)

decided not decieded

Good Luck!

Thanks for your comments i'll try to put them into good effect:). I didn't know it took so much time to write a AAR so I suppose it won't be the one update a day which was the initial plan but i'll try to write as much as I can. So if you enjoy this AAR check this thread from time to time for updates. If for some reason i will abandon it i will definetly state so but i personally hate abandoned AAR's and hope to finish this one whatever the outcome for Poland.

The reign of Wladyslaw Jagiello (1386-1434)

The period between 1419-1421

Jagiellos first 3 years of rule was a time of Peace. The clergy seemed deeply moved because of the Hus uprising in Bohemia. At first it seemed that war was immenent. The King wasn't an extremly religous person but he thought of it as a wonderful excuse to regain Silesia and maybe pillage the rich Czech cities and thus increase Poland's treasury. But just as he began secret preperations for war, Hungary took control of Bohemia and Moravia, thus ending the kings lust for conquest. Jagiello wasn't going to risk loss of prestige among his subjects just for some religous non-sense. Futhermore he signed the treaty of Kiermark with Sigismund King of Hungary, leaving Hussite troubles to Polands southern neighbour.

But this didn't mean he was going to abandon foreign relations in other parts of Europe. In 1420 he sent a big diplomatic misson to Iberia and England which ended in royal marriages improving the Crowns relation in these regions.

In the meantime Poland gained some insight on early renaissance trade and infrastructure which ended in promoting baliffs to the newly founded position of tax collectors in all the provinces. In Cracow the peasents started a revolt opposing this improvement but were crushed by Polands army commanded by the king himself. But the revolt had destabilized the country a little for
sometime. And than a war broke out...

The war with Moldavia 1422-25

Because of a diplomatic scheme Moldavia stopped being Polands vassal in
1420. Jagiello decided not to get involved and allowed Moldavia full indepen-dence. But in 1422 Moldavia had killed two diplomats from Lithuania which re-sulted in a war between these two countries. Poland and Masovia joined there eastern ally. While Moldovia was joined by Wallachia. Polands army barely made it through to gallizien when the nobles, taking advantage of the situation, demanded privelages. The king tried to limit their desires,but the aristocracy still managed to gain power through the Czerwinsk and Warta Privelages. But the nobleman of Poznan and Wielkopolska revolted. So while the combined armies of Poland + allies under Jagiellos leadership were besieg-ing Moldova these provinces were in turmoil. Even though some armies were created to destroy the revolts they were unsuccessful in suppressing the re-volters. And worse yet Poznan and Wielkopolska fell and the revolters were moving torwards Cracow. After capturing Jassy the army of Poland returned to Cracow and crushed the revolters and regained the rebel provinces. But before polish infantry could stain their swords with the blood of the orthodox, the war with Moldavia was over and Lithuania had gained Bujak. The war had ended. A short period of peace followed...

Period between 1426-1428

In 1426 Lithuania again went to war this time with Tver, but although Poland had declared war they only sent supplys and arms to it's ally.

In 1427 the nobles again were keen on starting troubles this time between themselves. On the basis of religion the King was supposed to expel some no-bles form Wielkopolska. But he refused signing the Edict of Wielun claiming it was ridicoulus and that these nobles weren't dangerous. This led to an uproar in Bohemia, Hungary and the Papal States (losess in relations) which in turn had hurt Polands stability. But the upside was an increase of tax value in Wielkopolska and a gain of 500 citizens there. And then suddenly the war in the east took an unexpected turn...

The "The Encirclement War" 1428-33

It seemed Lithuania who was battling the alliance of Tver and Muscowy was winning thier war. In 1428 they overrun Tver and annxed the princedom. Mus-cowy was besieging many Lithuanian cities in the east but coudn't capture none, it seemed they were going to be on the run once the forces that had seized Tver were used against them. Then suddenly the Golden Horde declar-ed war on Lithuania, Masovia left the alliance, while Jagiello again decided to help Lithuania by means of supplying their army with equipment. Lithuania was going to have a though time fighting these two countries. And suddenly with the popes blessing the Teutonic Order declared war. They were allied with the Livonian Order and the Hungarians which meant that Poland and Lithuania were nearly completely encircled by enemies. The Hungarians had a powerful army of 42.000 soldiers next to the border with Poland. Jagiello increased his army to 16.000 and attacked Kustrin. Lithuania was somehow handling her incredible odds. For a few months the Hungarian King wasn't sure whether to attack Poland but finally he went into Wielkopolska. In the meantime Poland managed to make a white peace with Muscowy. They also sent a strong diplomatic mission to the neighbouring germanic countries (Branderburgia, Hinterpommerania etc.) ending in 5 royal marriages (Meclemburg declined). It turned out thatthe Hungarian army wasn't prepared for a long siege and were losing men to attrician. After conquering Kutrin a 16.000 Polish army lead by Jagiello met with a 24.000 Hungarian army. The battle ended with a Polish victory (thanks to a cavalry advantage and better leadership), practically equalising the army numbers (12.000 Polish soldiers compared to 15.000 Hungarian soldiers). But Poland were building up armys fast. The 12.000 army enterd Silesia while a new 9.000 army attacked Moravia. The 15.000 hungarian soldiers didn't have any will to fight demorali-sed after the Battle of Wielkopolska and were eradicated by the besieging armies. In 1430 the Golden Horde and Livonian Order signed a white peace with Lithuania. After capturing Silesia Jagiellos army headed for Moravia, but before it got there the Hungarians signed a peace. The terms were indemi-nities paid to Lithuania and giving Silesia to Poland. Poland decided to reclaim Silesia at the cost of relations with Bohemia.

In 1431 a combined polish army entered Danzig (12.000) and started besieg-ing the city. The siege lasts for 2 years. After Poland captures Danzig the Teutons sue for peace at the cost of Kustrin to Poland. Jagiello claims Kutrin which hurts relations with Brandenburg. The increased amount of money going to the Treasury during the war had created a small inflation (0.8%), but now things were back the way they were before the war. A time of peace now comes for a new stronger Poland...

The Kings last year of rule 1433-34

The foriegn courtier is becoming one of the Kings most trusted men. For his help during the war he was granted the title of Viscount. He also became the tutor of the Kings son Wladyslaw.

The King applied Polish laws in Galizien. This increases tax value in that pro-vince.

With Polands trade and infastructure now being High Renaissance Jagiello wants to build an art academy in the capitol to bring fame and prestige to his realm. After that would come a time to improve the fortresses throughout the country.

Wladyslaw II Jagiello never got to putting his plans into action. In 1434 he died of old age. But his son Wladyslaw was going to continue his fathers po-licies. It is said he will be listening to the advice of the Viscount who had be-come his most trusted friend...

PL1434.jpg

Poland at the time of Wladyslaw II Jagiellos death.

Last edited:
The reign of Wladyslaw III (1334-1444)

The period between 1434-1440

This was a time of peace and slow growth (both economical and in terms of population). In 1435 Wladyslaw promoted the baliffs of the newly acquired provinces of Kustrin and Silesia to tax collectors. In 1437 much to the shock of the church and some of the more narrowminded nobles he invited some Italian inventors which allowed an increase in innovativeness.

In 1439 some nobles refused to pay taxes. The King infuriated by this and not wanting to risk loss of authority decided to execute these troublemakers. This caused a big blow to the countrys stability. Nobleman in Kustrin and Podlasie revolted. The revolts ended in blood as they were crushed by the Polish army (12.000 men led by Wladyslaw). The nobles would now think twice before defying the King. The influence of the aristocracy got smaller and centralisation improved. This time of "peace" ended when the King was offered the crown of Hungary...

The union with Hungary and its consequences 1440-1444

After the death of their rightful king the new king of the Hungarians was supposed to be his still unborn child if it turned out to be a male. But the Hungarians didn't want to wait in order to find out. Their problem with the Turks needed immediate resolve, and so they turned to Wladyslaw III who was to become their king. He agreed, thus creating a personal union between Hungary and Poland. But in the meantime the former king's wife gave birth to a male which in turn led to revolts all over Hungary supporting the infant king. To make matters worse the Turks declared war on Hungary. Wladyslaw III afraid that his new realm wouldn't withstand the onslaught of the Turks decided to join the war with the armies of Poland, Livonian Order, Lithuania, the Knights and Cyprus. This caused a drop in stability and tarnished Poland's reputation on the international arena.

The alliance armies fought mainly in moldavia (which was now in Turkish hands) gaining, losing and finally regaining the province. Some battles were also fought in Bujak. In 1442 the clergy knowing the king could not take another blow to his already low stability decided to imprisoned a great thinker. The King had agreed not to free him improving stability and decreasing Poland's innovativeness. In 1444 the Turks signed a peace treaty paying 250 ducats of indeminities making the idea of building an art academy in Cracow that much closer. Unfortunately yet another King of Poland would not live to see it. On that same year Wladyslaw dies ending the ties Poland had with Hungary. His brother Kazimierz IV Jagellonczyk takes hold of the crown and yet another Polish King seemed to be taking the advice of the foreign courtier, now viscount. What lay ahead in Poland's future is unknown...

Dane1444pro.jpg

Polands populaion in provinces in 1444

Dane1444gos.jpg

Poland's production and income in provinces in 1444

Last edited:
Kazimierz Jagiellonczyks reign will probably be split up into 2 parts and will appear on Saturday next week (hopefully sooner but i don't want to disappoint). So how are you enjoing this ARR so far??? Any comments or opinions???

Thank you zacharym87 for your kind words.

The reign of Kazimierz Jagiellonczyk(1444-1492)

Part I (1444-1467)

The period between 1444-1453

This period was spent mainly on big diplomatic missions to all parts of Europe. Both renewels of old and creation of new royal marriages had caused that by 1550 Poland had them in practicually all European Catholic Nations that were capable of entering one. Also Polands reputation was very high.

In 1451 the fine arts academy in Krakow was finally finished turning Jagiellos lifelong dream into a reality. Krakow became one of the first cities in the known world to have one. Now Kazimeirz was going to build up funds for a fortification effort in the crown.

On that year an unprecedented event took place. A foreigner was given the title of count for the first time. This has caused many rumors as to his ties with the royal family.

The nobles also were beginning to be afraid of the monarchs power and demanded his approval of the Nieszawa privelages which made nobles among other things solely responsible for the creation of armies. The King had no intention of being confined in these matters by his subjects and refused to accept the privelages. This caused huge unrest. The King was preparing for revolts to strike his country far and wide and increased the size of his army to 20.000 soldiers. By 1453 the unrest had ended and not a single revolt took place. This was do to the aristocracys loss of power nad influence.

The 4-year war (1453-1457)

Lithuania was becoming very agitated by Crimea's constant raids on its land. The Crimean ruler despite warnings wasn't doing anything about it. The King Lithuania demanded these raids be stopped. Crimea afraid it would lose a substansial part of its income declared war against Lithuania. Lithuania called its allies for assistance (Poland, Livonian Order and Mazovia) in its war against Cremea, Khazan and the Turks. Poland didn't take too much part in this war because Pommerania declared war. Pommerania was infuenced by its allies (Brandenburg, Teutons Mecklemburg) who wanted to take Kazimierzs lands (Silesia and Kustrin). Mazovia backed out of the alliance. The Muslim alliance signed a peace for 200 ducats paid to Lithuania in 1454. Polish armies were being beaten badly and too big sieges were taking place (Poznan and Silesia). In 1455 Mazovia declared war against her former allies but was annexed by Lithuania on that same year. In 1456 Poland thanks to an increase in Taxes formed an army of 12.000. Combined with Lithuanias army of 26.000 they managed to drive back her invaders. Pommerania with her allies signed a white peace in 1457.

The period between 1457-1464

The only noticeable events in this period was a famine in Podlasia which killed 2000 people there in 1458, a decrease in the strentgh of aritocracy and the building of a new fortress in Krakow.

Polands eastern neighbour had incorporated the Livonian Order which led to war with Muscowy. Poland took part in it only for a few months without any participation in battles because Muscowy asked for white peace with Kazimeirz. The proposal was accepted.

The reclamation war 1464-67

In 1464 Kazimeirz learned from his spies that eastern and western pomerania were planning on merging into one strong country. This would make incorporating pomerania almost impossible. Besides knowing pomerania's ties with the Teutonic Order he was afraid this could eventually lead to creating a new powerful country in the north blocking off all of Poland's hopes for sea access. So in 1464 Poland declared war on Pomerania claiming that the land was rightfully hers. The rest of Europe didn't agree with this claim and Polish stability dropped. Pomerania was no match for the Polish army and was swiftly annexed before the Teutons could react. In 1465 in Wielkopolska the armies of the Teutonic Order and Polnad clashed. The two armies battled in what was to become one of the greatest battles of the middle-ages. Poland emerged victorius and quickly followed with a siege of Konigsberg and Gdansk. After both cities fell Memel was surrounded by polish forces. Before the city was captured the Teutons sued for peace offering Gdansk and indemities to Poland. Poland accepted. The war gave Poland its long sought for access to the sea. It seemed that the reputation blow was worth it.The King knew that now he had to use all of his diplomatic skills to make up for his aggresion. This war was called the reclmation war because Poland got back every historical province except the ones in the possesion of Lithuana. The noblemen hinted in perhaps annexing the weakened Teutonic Order in the near future. But for now Poland needed peace. Another problem was Lithuana's war with Muscowy. Lithuana lost her war and ceded provinces to Muscowy and even more were rebelling on their border. It seems a new threat is looming on the horizon...

PL1469.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent I always have liked a good Polish AAR.

While I had always thought playing Poland could be interesting, after reading your AAR so far, I've had a rethinking and have determined that my next run at a GC is going to have to be as Poland! :)
Question for you. Besides looking at annexing the Teuton's and givng Poland more access to the Baltic, have you thought about marching south and gaining access to the Black Sea? Just a thought.
Can't wait for your next update! :cool:

Draco Rexus said:
Besides looking at annexing the Teuton's and givng Poland more access to the Baltic, have you thought about marching south and gaining access to the Black Sea? Just a thought.
...or East, to Siberia... :D

Poland has always intrigued me a bit, and I think I never read a polish AAR (although many of them appeared here). Let's see how it goes... :cool: Keep it up!

The reign of Kazimierz Jagiellonczyk(1444-1492)

Part 2 (1467-1492)

The period between 1467-1475

This period was spent peacefully. Poland's attention turned towards it's eastern neighbour as they saw 2 Lithuanian provinces join Muscowy. The nobles were becoming scared as rumors were spreading about the behaviour of russian soldiers who were said to be acting almost as barbaric as the mongol hordes.

Poland also changed it's plan towards the Teutons from an aggresive annexation to a diplomatic incorporation due to the fact that they were now part of the same alliance. The only problem was that the King was saving up for a big investment due to new developments in infrastructure and didn't have the money to improve the dreadful relations with the Order. Another interesting developement had happened in the west. The princedom of Stettin's King died and appointed the King of Pomerania as his succesor. So the territories of Stettin became the princedom of Pomerania. Kazimierz Jagiellonczyk was afraid that his earlier aggresion might lead to wars with strong german countries who would act as allies of Pomerania. This indeed was a problem because all of Poland's western neighbours had claims on her western provinces.

The foriegn count was given the title of Marquis in 1467 and it was obvious that he had a great impact on polish history over the last 38 years. On that same year he died but his family's grip on Poland hadn't loosened because his son had just as strong of an influence on the Kings decision as his father..

During the reclamation war Kazimierz Jagiellonczyk had allowed a loss in tolerance towards the orthodox church to increase catholic tolerance and thus keep his catholic subjects from revolting because of war exhaustion. But the war had ended and the orhodox were counting on equaling the two religions as it was before. But this wasn't happening and in 1473 a religous revolt swept through Galicia. Kazimierz Jagiellonczyk managed to defeat the rebels and made the two religions equal again. This caused an uproar in the catholic clergy. Poland's stability dropped, but the King did not back down. Kazimierz Jagillonczyk firmly believed that the true enemy was islam...

The period of war (1475-1486)

Lithuana's borders were once again raided by Crimerian soldiers and yet again Lithuana declared war (along with Poland, Cyprus and the Teutonic Order) on Crimea who was allied traditionally with the Ottomans. Poland's efforts revolved mainly around Lwow and Jassy. Both provinces changed owners once. Both Pomerania (with Meclemburg and Brandenburg as allies) and Muscowy took advantage of Poland's and Lithuana's military involvement in the south and attacked in the summer of 1477. Even though Kazimerz suffered a few defeats and lost the provinces of Silesia and Pomerania in the begining, Poland managed to regain the lost provinces and thanks to some later victories in the field eventually signed a white peace with Pomerania in 1484.

Lithuana's war with Muscowy didn't go so well and after suffering humiliating defeats in the east they ceded Belgograd. Thanks to this success Muscowy laid claims to nearly all of Lithuana's territory and changed into the the Kingdom of Russia. As predicted a powerful enemy had emerged...

The war which led to these events ended for Poland rn 1486 with Crimea paying a small indemity. Kazimierz Jagiellonczyk was afraid that the true consequences of this war had yet to reveal themselves...

The period of peace untill Kazimeirz Jagiellonczyk's death (1486-1492)

Kazimierz Jageillonczyk used his diplomatic influence to ensure the safety of the crowns eastern borders by vastly improving relations with Pomerania. Also the Teutons were now regarded as closest freinds thanks to the war with the Muslims. The stage was set for the first phase of incorporting them peacefully. Unfortunately they were still at war with Crimea (just like Lithuana) and couldn't yet be offered vasslization.

The King also improved the quality of Polish troops thanks to some new ideas in unit formation. This caused a small unrest amongst the army which was quickly overcome.

In 1489 thanks to some smart royal marriages Poland yet again had a personal union with Hungary. This was a huge success giving Poland dominance in the region and improving the state of the treasury. The foreign Marquis had a big part in this event and was given the title of Duke.

Some nobles wanted the King to turn his attention to the black sea. But Kazimierz Jagiellonczyk didn't want problems with the Muslim inhabitants of the region. Also more problems with the Turks was something best avoided for the time being.

The war and diplomatic activity caused a delay in the King's big investment. Even though enough money was finally raised in 1492 Kazimierz Jagiellonczyk didn't live to see the start of it or the end of the Teutons involement in the war with Crimea. The whole country mourned his death in June 1492. His son Jan Olbracht was crowned the new King.

On that same year Columbus had discovered the "New World". News of this discovery had reached Poland and though often regarded as plain rumors in the Kingdom with sea access but no navy it heralded the end of the middle-ages and the start of a new era. The Renaissance...

Poland's Situation at the end of the middle-ages (1492)

Dane1492pop.jpg

Dane1492pro.jpg

PL1492.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your comments. They really motivate me to keep on writing (at least the positive ones :rolleyes: ).
Draco Rexus I've answered your question in the text but if you think it is too scarse feel free to ask for more details. As always in case of questions or comments simply fire away.