• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
((Nice job Van5, ThaHoward and Tanzhang, last four pages make a good example how to increase your number of posts. This LibLab thing again would be bs, I said many times that with another electoral pact we might as well drop the "interactive" thing. With the present state we get pretty accurate image of 1974 election, and get to wonder what will happen in the end. With LibLab it would be infinitely boring.))

Last edited:
((Nice job Van5, ThaHoward and Tanzhang, last four pages make a good example how to increase your number of posts. Also, this LibLab thing again would be bs, I said many times that with another electoral pact we might as well drop the "interactive" thing. With the present state we get pretty accurate image of 1974 election, and get to wonder what will happen in the end. With LibLab it would be infinitely boring.))

So what you're saying is that we have a free hand between 79-91?

So what you're saying is that we have a free hand between 79-91?

((Sorry, I don't understand. I will rephrase my thought though - I think that with NF around, which will probably not moderate in a while, Tommy struck a nice balance between Labour and Tories. In the last election Tories were a bit too strong, and in the election before LibLab thing just steamrolled any opposition, which was really boring.
Also, like officerpup pointed out, Liberal Party will probably split after this election, so that four pages of discussing next LibLab is really kinda of pointless.))

((Sorry, I don't understand. I will rephrase my thought though - I think that with NF around, which will probably not moderate in a while, Tommy struck a nice balance between Labour and Tories. In the last election Tories were a bit too strong, and in the election before LibLab thing just steamrolled any opposition, which was really boring.
Also, like officerpup pointed out, Liberal Party will probably split after this election, so that four pages of discussing next LibLab is really kinda of pointless.))

Sorry, I'd originally read your post as you arguing against a Labour victory on the basis that they won in '74. Now I see that this is not at all what you were saying.

That said, seeing as our 1974-based selves have no idea that the Liberals have a track record of splitting apart, I don't think we should dismiss the discussions just yet. I'd also note that the discussion is far less pointless than other things that have been discussed. :)

More to the point, he has expressed a desire to annex the Labour Party. This is not how I view a partnership of equals.

What's wrong with liking Labourites so much that I want them to be part of the Liberal party? :D

But fine, in the unlikely event that the Liberals do not get an overwhelming majority, I would be happy to support a Labour-Liberal coalition in this parliament as a partnership of true equals and I repudiate anything I might have said in the past which incorrectly gave the impression that I am opposed to such an arrangement.

This is presuming, of course, that we can come up with a suitable programme for government.

Personally I would recommend:

• An agreement to privatise state-owned industries which are making a loss
  • A referendum on entry to the EEC
  • A reduction in the basic rate of income tax and the abolition of business rates in favour of a basic land value tax on non-residential land
  • The setting up of Industry Pay Board containing representatives of employers and of unions to negotiate pay settlements
  • Reform of Northern Ireland's institutions, including the introduction of PR
  • The introduction of regional assemblies with control over infrastructure spending in order to boost economically deprived parts of the country
  • A 50/50 split in cabinet seats and ministries
  • A mutual power of veto over any policy proposal not included in the programme for government

Sorry, I'd originally read your post as you arguing against a Labour victory on the basis that they won in '74. Now I see that this is not at all what you were saying.

That said, seeing as our 1974-based selves have no idea that the Liberals have a track record of splitting apart, I don't think we should dismiss the discussions just yet. I'd also note that the discussion is far less pointless than other things that have been discussed. :)

((No, I actually would be perfectly OK with Labour victory now, and I'm seriously considering voting for Labour just because I think it would be good thing for the story - while I remain top hat and I think that Tories policies are the best for Britain, I'm mostly concerned about the story, which I mentioned several times already. That's why it saddens me that some people treat those iAARs like actual politics. But you make a fine point, while I still despise Liberals this discussion is indeed better than another economy debate.))

BTWs, want to hear a fun fact?

ThaHoward, our very own overly-talkative oddity from the hellishly warm climes of Norway has overtaken Densley and is just something like 300 posts shot of Tanzhang.

Your fact is well known, hence this from earlier;

25yukhk.jpg

((I don't believe this for a goddamn second.))

((Well, yeah, it may be safer to say that this debate is on hold. Oh, I've meaning to tell you, I found perfect soundtrack for this Contravarius-Bond movie idea I once mentioned.))

[video=youtube;Fz4Eor5h_fU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz4Eor5h_fU&list=PLA3E763649FCDDB3B[/video]

*Perfect soundtrack for Contravarius-Bond movie*
((It truly is a dashing and waltzingly magnificent piece of art, my friend. I think it would work as the main theme.
But apart from that, I would really enjoy a little bit of Chopin in there somewhere, here and there. I truly am a sucker for his melancholical piano.

And the NAME, we haven't even figured out a name for this movie yet! I think I could make a poster for it, but I need a name, first.))

((It truly is a dashing and waltzingly magnificent piece of art, my friend. I think it would work as the main theme.
But apart from that, I would really enjoy a little bit of Chopin in there somewhere, here and there. I truly am a sucker for his melancholical piano.

And the NAME, we haven't even figured out a name for this movie yet! I think I could make a poster for it, but I need a name, first.))

((True, shame that I suck when it comes to making up clever names. "The Paper Hat Who Hated Me"? "Dr. Stein"? "Win, Lose or Bananas"? Pretty unoriginal, I know. Maybe someone will help me out here?))

((True, shame that I suck when it comes to making up clever names. "The Paper Hat Who Hated Me"? "Dr. Stein"? "Win, Lose or Bananas"? Pretty unoriginal, I know. Maybe someone will help me out here?))
((Heh, I don't think dom Contravarius has truly ever hated anyone (exept for Maggie, of course), it has always been more of a impractical desire to destroy and spread despair, even the anti-semitism part. ...And, now that the Bronze Age of dom Contravarius has ended, I think it's time for a Caesaropope who has a more pragmatical and maybe philosophical approach to life and politics. I've unified all these teachings into one, I've created Ultratotalitarianism, now it's time for the Heroic Age of Caesaropapism to start.

How about 007: The Fantastic Sphere of Peril? As you can see, I took more of an poetic approach.))

Last edited:
Time to post another Official Poll. :)

Total Vote: 54 - votes have started to dry up, keep voting! Lets push past 60!

Labour: 16
Tories: 15
CPGB: 8
National Front: 6
Liberal Y: 5
Liberal BP: 4

%s:
Labour: 29.6%
Tories: 27.8%
Liberals: 16.7%
CPGB: 14.8%
National Front: 11.1%

Seats:
Labour: 255
Tories: 239
Liberals: 71
CPGB: 32
National Front: 24
UUP: 7
Vanguard: 3
DUP: 1
SDLP: 1
Independent: 1

Result: Labour-Liberal Coalition with a very narrow majority. 318 seats are required for a parliamentary majority a Labour-Liberal Coalition (including the SDLP) would hold 327.

With Labour edging ahead of the Conservatives, the Communists have fallen below the 15% threshold and will push above it yet again should they get one more vote. Elsewhere the National Front are edging towards 10% - if we reach 61 with no further NF votes they will fall below it and gain only a handful of seats. The Liberals would also fall below their threshold (15%) if we reach 61 without any further Liberal votes. Finally, the Tories would fall below 25% if we reach 61 with no further Conservative votes.

Whilst its not particularly likely that we will reach 61 with none of these parties getting any votes, should we do so it would result in some quite spectacular shifts in the composition of parliament.

Status
Not open for further replies.