• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of want of us to be called the New Jerusalem Committee or something equally british...

Nah, something more cloak and daggery...

Aww, but 'the New Jerusalem Committee' harkens back to our greatest Prime Minister!

Aww, but 'the New Jerusalem Committee' harkens back to our greatest Prime Minister!

And how would the Liberals feel about that? Cooperation is a two-way street. :)

It would also harken back to a time when the two parties genuinely cooperated under the Popular Front.

It would also harken back to a time when the two parties genuinely cooperated under the Popular Front.

OH GOD DON'T REMIND PEOPLE OF THAT! :eek:

What are your thoughts on the Social Market Economy? I'm sure Rosa would view Labour's formal adoption of it as a fitting compromise, and I would certainly view it as a possible way to maintain the welfare state while combating unemployment and inflation.

You are correct in that assumption.

((And you asked for that strike year, unfortunately I just delivered back the book where I read it. I can give you the exaxt numbers tommorow or to the week when I check it out again.))

Well to be fair, we weren't hammering out an agreement at the time...

I could go on like Antonine and make "manifestos" of my own - which you could be free to critize or add extra points, which we can then make a new "manifesto" out of compromise and common ground.

((And you asked for that strike year, unfortunately I just delivered back the book where I read it. I can give you the exaxt numbers tommorow or to the week when I check it out again.))

What was the book called? do you remember by any chance?

You are correct in that assumption.

Am I also correct in assuming this?

Personally, I'm prepared to give Rosa the benefit of the doubt, because I feel that she would genuinely support a party or parties which endorsses the social market economy, more third world aid and a foreign policy aimed at improving human rights and fighting autocracy abroad and which is committed to strengthening equality of opportunity at home. Those are the values I think Labour should champion in the coming decades.

What was the book called? do you remember by any chance?

Am I also correct in assuming this?

((A book in a language you don't understand, or rahter a series of many books.))

And yes, you're right in that. However I would preffer free trade over direct aid, and then the aid should be controlled, but that is detail managing. In the overall sense I agree.

I kind of want of us to be called the New Jerusalem Committee or something equally british...

Why is it supposed to be a new Jerusalem of all things? :p I know it is from the first Lib-Lab government, but why did they call it New Jerusalem?

((A book in a language you don't understand, or rahter a series of many books.))

Well that is rather troublesome, isn't it? :)

And yes, you're right in that. However I would preffer free trade over direct aid, and then the aid should be controlled, but that is detail managing. In the overall sense I agree.

I don't feel that we should just throw money at problems either, but I do feel we should be doing more to encourage democracy and freedom in the third world. You can't have democracy without things like education and that's why I feel that so many third world nations gravitate towards dictatorships.

Why is it supposed to be a new Jerusalem of all things? :p I know it is from the first Lib-Lab government, but why did they call it New Jerusalem?

It's a reference to the hymn Jerusalem by William Blake which is beloved by all three major parties in Britain and which Attlee referenced in one of his speeches.

I shall not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand.
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In England's green and pleasant land.

Rather fitting for the new order ushered in by Labour and the Welfare state, don't you think? :)

No I don't think it is fitting ;) Little to do with Jesus and "removing satan" by getting rid of industries with the welfare state.

No I don't think it is fitting ;)

It's still a lot better than the New Babylon Powell's trying to build with his sado-monetarism. :p

Little to do with Jesus and "removing satan" by getting rid of industries with the welfare state.

He (Blake) was actually talking about factories ruining the countryside with that remark. (pollution and whatnot) Attlee's speech only mentioned the last four lines IIRC. :)

Last edited:
I'm only supportive of a Lib-Lab alliance if Labour cannot ensure a majority on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.