• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When was nuclear energy making its breakthrough? 70s, 80s?

You will noticed that I said cheap and plausible alternatives there. Britain already had a few nuclear power plants by the 1970's, but nuclear power was more costly than coal. At best, it over ever accounted for about a quarter of the nation's energy production - and that was a peak, not an average.

You will noticed that I said cheap and plausible alternatives there. Britain already had a few nuclear power plants by the 1970's, but nuclear power was more costly than coal. At best, it over ever accounted for about a quarter of the nation's energy production - and that was a peak, not an average.

But since we have a unhistorical timeline, there is now a good incentive to build more nuclear plants in order to become less dependent on the striking unions. ;)
Also didn't the update mention British getting more special rights for Libyan oil? Also Kuwait is also pro-British? Arab Emirates also British controlled according to the map?
Sounds like cheap energy!

Wouldn't it be just plain old Plaid Llafur at this point in time? I was of the impression that regional parties weren't a thing until the 90's - but that might only have been because of devolution.

Labour have had a Welsh wing since 1947, according to my sources. It was all one party (like today) but a separate branch was extant – with a de facto leader and everything. :)

Except for Dadrian's crazy Australian equivalent, of course.

No one in Wales would be caught uttering such things. :p

You provided a link?

Indeed I did. Something I stumbled across which I felt apposite at the time (namely, yesterday afternoon.) This should get you there. :)

But since we have a unhistorical timeline, there is now a good incentive to build more nuclear plants in order to become less dependent on the striking unions. ;)

That just might work if Australia was still a colony we could exploit for mineral resources, but it isn't so we can't. ;)

Also didn't the update mention British getting more special rights for Libyan oil? Also Kuwait is also pro-British? Arab Emirates also British controlled according to the map?
Sounds like cheap energy!

The AAR may be ahistorical, but it's not some kind of fantasy land whereby new power plants drop out of thin air and are ready for use immediately. :p

Am I one of the Communists in the tower? I don't want to live in a tower Tanny ;_; I'm scared of heights.

Likely. I mean, you are quite eccentric and eccentric people do tend to live in towers or other high places... :)

No true Welshman? :p

That depends who you talk to, of course. To a radical member of Plaid Cymru, a true Welshman would probably only be one who advocated full-scale independence. If one was a memer of Llafur Cymru, it is likely that one would be more in favour of devolution and if one was apolitical, then how one viewed the question would (rightly) have no bearing on whether one was, indeed, a 'true Welshman'. :)

I especially like the pretty graphics you put into this one. Would you be willing to make another one at the end of the AAR? Either linking with this one or putting the entire period in a long line?

I can probably do that, when do you plan on ending it? 1992? The line might get a little unwieldy past that. :)

I can probably do that, when do you plan on ending it? 1992? The line might get a little unwieldy past that. :)

I'm not sure, could end 1992ish, 2000 or even closer to modern day depending on how things go. Maybe making separate ones so it doesn't get crowded is best :).

My countrymen, it is clear that our country stands on the brink. If the Tories are re-elected they will devastate our society, tearing it apart and pitting communities against each other through their divisive policies instead of building a land of opportunity and prosperity for all. If Labour get a majority then they will simply try to turn the clock back to 1945, heedless of the fact that the world has changed.

But we Liberals have the answer. Our policies will reform the economy as necessary to adapt to the modern world but will ensure that no one is left behind by reform. Here is our three point plan to tackle unemployment, end industrial unrest and reform British industry to make it globally competitive:

1. Break up all state-owned industries into independent companies owned and run by their workers - by reintroducing market competition to one fifth of our economy, without selling off our national assets on the cheap, we will see vast improvements in productivity and efficiency.
2. Establish Industrial Pay Boards, following the German model, for each industry, containing representatives of workers and employers to negotiate legally binding pay settlements on a regular basis - negotiation and compromise is the best way to solve pay disputes rather than bloody strikes provoked by militant unions on the one hand and a recalcitrant government on the other.
3. Cut corporation and income tax through the introduction of Land Value Taxation - by providing ordinary workers with more money in their pockets we will help them through this economic recession despite pay restraint and by demanding less tax from businesses and taxing land value we will provide employers with the money and the motivation to invest to create new jobs and tackle unemployment while attracting new businesses to Britain from abroad.

There are no easy answers in a time of economic upheaval but neither trying to turn back the clock nor devastating social cohesion through ideological economic policies are the answer. End the unrest, build a better Britain. Vote Liberal!

And that was a tense update. I have to say Tommy, that you captured well the spirit of troublous seventies.

It's a good thing that Mr. Powell decided to fight terrorists and economy problems that LibLab governments created, in spite of knowing that this will probably hurt Tories during the elections. I sense that Labour landslide victory is coming. But I'm not complaining - the first steps toward healing Britain have been taken, and that's most important.
I am, however, afraid of National Front. It's existance will split Right again, and Right needs to stand united against Labour and Liberal Party. That's why I and my top hat factories will once again fight for Mr. Powell. God save Britain! God save the Queen!

((I actually wanted to propose that we get NF in the next elections, their emergance is absolutely logical, seeing that Powell decided to moderate Conservative Party. I only hope that NF won't replace Tories, and that's why I will vote for Tories again, even though I wanted to go Labour in the next elections.))

Last edited:
My guess is that the National Front may be, again, a faction within the Tories, rather than a party in its own right. As such, since faction votes count for the party as a whole, I wouldn't be surprised to see another Tory government, especially since the Centre-Left remains divided between Labour and the Liberals.

National Front, National Liberals.

New name, same danger.

My countrymen, it is clear that our country stands on the brink. If the Tories are re-elected they will devastate our society, tearing it apart and pitting communities against each other through their divisive policies instead of building a land of opportunity and prosperity for all. If Labour get a majority then they will simply try to turn the clock back to 1945, heedless of the fact that the world has changed.

But we Liberals have the answer. Our policies will reform the economy as necessary to adapt to the modern world but will ensure that no one is left behind by reform. Here is our three point plan to tackle unemployment, end industrial unrest and reform British industry to make it globally competitive:

[SNIP]

You've seen manifesto in advance, then?

My guess is that the National Front may be, again, a faction within the Tories, rather than a party in its own right. As such, since faction votes count for the party as a whole, I wouldn't be surprised to see another Tory government, especially since the Centre-Left remains divided between Labour and the Liberals.

((No, NF isn't in any way associated with Conservative Party. I see them more like a game balancing factor - NF weakens Tories, thus giving more chances for other parties, which is way better than another electoral pact.))

I'm writing my own manifesto :p

(And hoping Tommy adopts some of its ideas)

I hope he ignores you as a reward for your audacity. :p

Historically they were a party in their own right (heh) so I'd assume they would be in the AAR as well.

National Front, eh?
Antonine, our deal is off. Male hookers in dresses do not outweight these lovely xenophobes.

49whilethings.jpg

In that case is anyone else willing to view Liberal in exchange for a photo of myself wearing a dress? :p

I'm writing my own manifesto :p

(And hoping Tommy adopts some of its ideas)

Breaking news! Liberal backbencher Anthonine Anthony-Potter defects to form own party. A Liberal Party spokesperson said today that the effects of his split with the party will be "minimal", before asking "what was his name again?". :p

Status
Not open for further replies.