• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can write a fan fic about it if you want to :p (contra and stein's failed coup)

And Alec Douglas-Home probably will become architect of the first, fully operational British Death Star.

Oh, and just imagine how much profit will bring top hat industry this year.

Bwaha! I can sense the market is strong in this one!

I'll simply say that there is such a thing as objective rationality and reason. For example, if their is research proving that there are 10,000 Germans in the country it is not then rational to read that research and then declare that you refuse to believe it because your gut instinct is that there are hundreds of thousands of Germans in the country and you will favour trusting in your flawed perception of the world even when you have evidence proving your perception wrong.

And if you would say that there is no such thing as objective rationality and reason then please explain to me the existence of logic.

Though when you say that the human mind does not operate objectively you are actually agreeing with what I am saying - the human mind does not normally operate in an objective fashion, and never all the time, but it is capable of operating objectively on occasion which is what we call being rational as opposed to being irrational. You can look at a situation, seek to obtain all the facts and then make a logical decision based on the information you have available. That is evidence based decision making which is rational. You could also look at a situation, ignore all the facts and then make an illogical decision based on gut instinct or emotion. That is irrational decision making.

And, if you wish a real life example, there is no particular policy reason why I should not vote Labour in this election, particularly as my main priority is to keep the Conservatives out. However, I voted Liberal out of emotional attachment to that party despite having no real policy reason to do so. Therefore, I voted irrationally.

Who defines that 'objective rationality'? Some exogenous force, or a human being with a subjective opinion? ;) Perhaps you? A council of old wise men? Philosophers? Central planning committee?

In the example of research, you might have heard that the paper lies about facts; you thus have a good reason (rationale) to doubt the results. Maybe a friend told you the research is wrong, and you really trust you friend. Just because it is written on a paper, by some human that you have never met, who has happened to get the title of a professor, does not make the research results objective truth. :p
Gut instincts can be rational. Why else would you get the feeling of a gut instinct, if not based upon apriori experience?

Logic... it is based upon generally accepted apriori experience. It takes one thing granted, and then proceeds to draw conclusion from the first fact, that the second fact that derives from the first assumption might also be true. Like piling rocks atop each other, you can draw conclusions from existing already made conclusions. But in the beginning, it is just a mere assumption, such as assuming 1+1=2. Maybe you can even prove this assumption! ;)
Logic works with metaphysical ideas.
But humans are animals, and not subject to laws of nature. There are no 'laws of sociology' or psychology that define human behaviour, or make A a rational choice but say B is not a rational choice. Humans are in constant change, there are no constant laws. The laws can apply simply to a specific location, time, circumstances and known facts. But in reality everything we do and think is in continuous movement! The beauty of human nature is our constant change, striving for a better future!

When talking about humans; I repeat again, throw objectivity out of the window. :p
Because you make decisions upon emotion or gut feeling, does not make the decisions irrational or illogical. There are some written data in our genes that promote gut feeling, in order to keep us alive. A gut feeling is rarely wrong, thus following it is a very rational and a good choice. Gut feeling, as it is, a evolutionary measure to keep us alive. Following your feelings can be very very rational.
After all, feelings are based on apriori experience. You know feelings have guided you before, therefore letting feelings guide is a good choice once again. And what are our opinions, if feelings in our brain? :)
They are chemical reactions that happen in our brain, in reaction to recent data the brain gathers, which it compares to experience gained before; when it is making a decisions. A rational decisions, based upon the best possible data known to the brain.

You voted very rationally. :cool:

You can write a fan fic about it if you want to :p (contra and stein's failed coup)
It would be like my eleventh, right? Twelfth? God, I've lost count.
((Yeah and Stein, I give you full permission to use my character and paper hats if you would like to write something for us.))

It would be like my eleventh, right? Twelfth? God, I've lost count.
((Yeah and Stein, I give you full permission to use my character and paper hats if you would like to write something for us.))

I can certainly write a alternative, alternative history where all of the IAAR cast exist within the Westminster government, following their respective politics,etc. However, where on Johan's blue forum would I post it?! Also, fun fact, I am a writer IRL. I could certainly do some silly writing for this AAR if you all want.

I can certainly write a alternative, alternative history where all of the IAAR cast exist within the Westminster government, following their respective politics,etc. However, where on Johan's blue forum would I post it?! Also, fun fact, I am a writer IRL. I could certainly do some silly writing for this AAR if you all want.
((I don't think it has to be THAT far from of canon history. If you keep the characters' dealings minor and within the rules of Tommys story, they can stay mostly non-canonical and unmentioned by Tommy, but still believable within the context. And small coup-attempts by the commies can be kept a secret from the wider public, can they not?))

I just hope we will have an EEC refferendum. I know that many conservatives are actually pro EEC, including Thatcher. So hopefully the population will decide our future.

((Like the 1975 refferendum. Unluckely for you I have studied UK and it's from the end of WWII to Thatcher took over :D And appereantly inflation became a problem under Labour, so even they took a monetarist appriach in their first term :) ))

((I don't think it has to be THAT far from of canon history. If you keep the characters' dealings minor and within the rules of Tommys story, they can stay mostly non-canonical and unmentioned by Tommy, but still believable within the context.))

((At worst it will just be treated as fiction, and not a canonical part of the AAR - but fanfic.))

((At worst it will just be treated as fiction, and not a canonical part of the AAR - but fanfic.))
((Well, Kabel-Strasse was accepted as canon, for example, so yeah.
Anyways - Stein, I would recommend a more "behind the curtains" approach to things, if you know what I mean.))

((Well, Kabel-Strasse was accepted as canon, for example, so yeah.
Anyways - Stein, I would recommend a more "behind the curtains" approach to things, if you know what I mean.))

((I mean, if they have something vague as that it is okay. If they write something that wouldbrung upon MAJOR changes and concerns in british politics, or executing MP's it wouldn't be treated as canon. Still even if it is non-canon it will still be entertaining.))

((I don't think it has to be THAT far from of canon history. If you keep the characters' dealings minor and within the rules of Tommys story, they can stay mostly non-canonical and unmentioned by Tommy, but still believable within the context. And small coup-attempts by the commies can be kept a secret from the wider public, can they not?))

((James Bond saving the world from paper hat-ushanka's conspiracy? In 1970 he would be played by Sean Connery, so it would be even more awesome))

((James Bond saving the world from paper hat-ushanka's conspiracy? In 1970 he would be played by Sean Connery, so it would be even more awesome))

((Man. Contravarius would make the best Bond villain ever.))

((The evil trio of Contra, Lenincat and Stein. That would be an interesting movie.))

((The evil trio of Contra, Lenincat and Stein. That would be an interesting movie.))
((Don't forget the illusive not-a-villain-but-still-an-inherently-evil-character-Vote-Switcher. He would probably be working for both sides at the same time and in the end make off with all the diamonds.))

((Don't forget the illusive not-a-villain-but-still-an-inherently-evil-character-Vote-Switcher. He would probably be working for both sides at the same time and in the end make off with all the diamonds.))

((And in the sequel we find out that PM himself was involved in the conspiracy!))
enoch.jpg

((And in the sequel we find out that PM himself was involved in the conspiracy!))
enoch.jpg
((Phaha, I forgot about this picture, this is GREAT.))

I have great expectations from this new Minister!
Ummmm... Yeah. Labour? Necromancers? I think I might have a job for you. And another victim.

Thanks for including me in that polandball comic Antonine!

Powell does have some good pics out there :p. as for fan written content. Either keep it explicitly fictional (the idea of a Bond movie sounded fun!) or something that is small scale and wouldn't clash with the AAR cannon. Writing for example about a Communist coup attempt wouldn't be accepted as part of the AAR as such an action would be totally out of character for the CPGB.

Status
Not open for further replies.