• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Devolution is where a unified nation gives some powers out to other assemblies. Federation is where states share a central government but manage their own affairs. Subtle difference. :)

And the difference is? In a devolution it is where assemblies share a central government, but also manage their own internal affairs. In a federation a unified nation gives some powers to the other states.

And the difference is? In a devolution it is where assemblies share a central government, but also manage their own internal affairs. In a federation a unified nation gives some powers to the other states.

No, that's not devolution at all. Devolution is where specific powers are devolved to an assembly of some sort, while central government retains management of most internal affairs. A federation is where essentially independent states share a central government but manage their own internal policy. :)

Does the Rt. Honourable Member subscribe to the doctrine of "separate but equal?"

To a degree. As a (nominal) Welshman, I do of course support devolving certain powers to a National Assembly, but I see no reason why this should entail full federation. Neither do I see why we should necessarily be "separate" because of devolved assemblies.. We are one United Kingdom, after all.

To a degree. As a (nominal) Welshman, I do of course support devolving certain powers to a National Assembly, but I see no reason why this should entail full federation. Neither do I see why we should necessarily be "separate" because of devolved assemblies.. We are one United Kingdom, after all.

Decentralization serves the public interest. The more the power is divided, the less chances there are for tyranny. The less power the central government has, the more freedom the local provinces, and their citizens have.

A federation of equal provinces is the fairest we can give our citizens. Decentralize power means more decentralize information, which improves the governing in many ways. Surely you as a advocate of strong state interventionism can see the benefits of embracing federalism? ;)

Surely you as a advocate of strong state interventionism can see the benefits of embracing federalism? ;)

Sometimes I feel you know my political views better than I do. It's really uncanny.

Sometimes I feel you know my political views better than I do.
Sometimes I feel like I know Enewald's political views better than he does.

((Also, TRH Mk II is almost ready, I just want to finish some little bits and pieces here and there. Maybe an hour tops.))

Let the longing for freedom flow through you.

I have no need for longing.

Why would a Liberal support a heavier central government?

I refuse to debate you on the issue while you control the definitions.

((Also, TRH Mk II is almost ready, I just want to finish some little bits and pieces here and there. Maybe an hour tops.))

I await it with all due anticipation. :)

This is the most ridiculous things I have read during my 7 years on these forums. :rofl:

Well played Sir, you made my day. :p

My pleasure.

Let the longing for freedom flow through you.

Why would a Liberal support a heavier central government?

I feel you know Goldman well. Simple yes or no, do you subscribe to her philosophy?

The fundamental difference between devolution and federalism is that federalism involves explicit distinctions between the roles of the national government and state government with power being given from the states to the national government which the states, in theory have the power to take away again. Devolution, on the other hand, involves power being given from the national government to state governments but which the national government has the power to take away again whenever it feels like it.

Let me also state that there is no need for a referendum on PR. There was only party standing for election with a policy of implementing PR and it won an overwhelming majority - therefore the public have already voted for PR.

Let me also state that there is no need for a referendum on PR. There was only party standing for election with a policy of implementing PR and it won an overwhelming majority - therefore the public have already voted for PR.

Not necessarily. The Liberals are not a one issue party, after all, and I doubt there will be many people who voted for us explicitly so our stance on voting reform. The public have voted for a party who support PR, not for PR itself. :)

I'm also sure that the members of the fringe parties will be happy to pledge their support for PR. Because we lack a long established stable two party system, there will be no serious supports who would be threatened by PR. The only ones theoretically losing from it will be Liberals, who are then again the biggest supporters of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.