• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't we just accept that the Liberals have done well? Scotland has a devolved parliament ... Scotland needs further devolution ... Return the Stone of Scone!

So I have come with some ideas of how we can create a Commonwealth Economical Area (now called CEA) and maybe make up parts of further political integration. Keep in mind that some of these are too ambitious, and may never be implemented.

CEA:

-Remove tarrifs and tolls between the CEA nations.
-Do not make it complulsary to join the CEA if you are in the Commonwealth.
-Strive towards a common legal regulatory framework. Start with certain industries in the start, like the Steel and coal industries and the Nuclear one. Modeled after how it is in Europe. Later include other industries too.
-Have a common merchant flag. That is a Canadian merchant ship sail with both a Canadian flag and a CET/Commonwealth one. Also strive towards having a common merchant fleet. That is every nation in the CEA share the merchant fleet instead of having national ones. These might be in the political integration reforms however.
-For common legal framework, and super national institutions (like an anti-cartel one like ithe European Steel and Coal union) each nation must be industralized. That is in the start it will only affect UK, Canada, Australia and New-Zealand.
-Help the non-industrialized countries to industrialize. That is by investing in these countries, giving them credit, and technologies etc.
-Not allowed to nationalize industries and companies in your nation/country that is run by another CEA country.

Then various political reforms that are aimed at integrating the Commonwealth into a political union. All of these are independent of eachother. That means a Commonwealth nation don't need to have all of them. A Commonwealth nation do not have to be accept any of these too.

-Part of the CEA.
-Free migration agreement, and right to work in the countries with that agreement.
-Common flag. Each nation will have their own flag too.
-English as official language.
-Alliance between the Commonwealth nation.
-Joint Command Structure for armed forces.
-Common Merchant fleet.
-Citizenship of the Commonwealth in addition to your nation.
-Organ that supervise that everyone follow human rights.
-Strive towards a common constitution.
-Joint weapons programs and common military hardware. That means various nations can go together and develop different military hardware together. I.e Canada, UK and Austalia develop a jet fighter together and then sell it to the other nations in the Commonwealth. However only between industraliazed countries, those with the alliance agreement and joint military command.
-Common Nuclear weapons policies. That is decide who is allowed to produce them. And possibly which nation (i.e UK) can station nuclear weapons in which countries (for example UK stationing nukes in Malaysia).

Any other ideas? :p

Last edited:
-Free migration agreement, and right to work in the countries with that agreement.

This alone would make the proposal politically untenable. And not for the reasons you might think.

I wonder if this "YouTube" is in anyway related to the U-tube we use in Rutland. It is a U-shaped tube just wide enough for a man to fit in and buried underground with only the two entrances to the tube being above ground. It is located on the border with Leicestershire and we find it a great way to rapidly deport Tory/National Liberal and CPGB troublemakers as well as the occasional Orange visitor.

You Liberals are a dogmatic bunch.

This alone would make the proposal politically untenable. And not for the reasons you might think.

You Liberals are a dogmatic bunch.

I know, but it is one of many potential reforms. That is if you want to be a part of the CEA you don't have to implement that reform. If you want to be a part of the Commonwealth Alliance you don't need to be a part of the CEA nor the migration agreement. Some policies are easy to implement, while some may prove to be impossible and others may only be between 2 nations.

A Commonwealth nation may also decide to no agree on any of these policies.

I know, but it is one of many potential reforms. That is if you want to be a part of the CEA you don't have to implement that reform. If you want to be a part of the Commonwealth Alliance you don't need to be a part of the CEA nor the migration agreement. Some policies are easy to implement, while some may prove to be impossible and others may only be between 2 nations.

Right now I think we should just stick to promoting basics: like English-language education, human rights, a defence alliance and extra Commonwealth aid monies.

Right now I think we should just stick to promoting basics: like English-language education[...]

Of course, the Empire's greatest benefit has been that it ensures no Brit ever has to learn a second language. :D

Right now I think we should just stick to promoting basics: like English-language education, human rights, a defence alliance and extra Commonwealth aid monies.

I'm thinking long term and short term :) Of course somethings like free-trade and alliance should be priorotized. Both because it is simplier to implement and more edible.

Of course, the Empire's greatest benefit has been that it ensures no Brit ever has to learn a second language. :D

((And it means de-facto that Britain still dominate its old empire :ninja: ))

I'm thinking long term and short term :) Of course somethings like free-trade and alliance should be priorotized. Both because it is simplier to implement and more edible.

More edible, eh? :p

Yeah, I had some free trade on the side with my cereal this morning. :)

I would suggest that a CEA should begin as a Commonwealth Free Trade Area with membership of it being optional for Commonwealth members. Of course, a Free Trade Area would also require the lifting of many restrictions on the free movement of people within the Free Trade Area - it is not free trade if you give freedom of movement to goods and capital but not labour.

In the long term I think that we should strive for greater economic integration between CFTA members but to begin with we should keep it as simple as possible to give it the greatest chance of adoption as possible.

On top of which, I believe that we should strive to ensure that a requirement of CFTA membership should be to join the Sterling Zone - which itself should become a formal rather than an informal arrangement.

In the long term I would very much like to see a system of Commonwealth Transfer Payments to assist economic development in disadvantaged areas of CFTA states - but by long term I definitely mean long term.

In the long term I would very much like to see a system of Commonwealth Transfer Payments to assist economic development in disadvantaged areas of CFTA states - but by long term I definitely mean long term.

Already mentioned in my list concerning the CEA :)

I think it is wiser to have a CEA. Inside the CEA it is CTFA and various economical unions between industrialized countries. Like Commonwealth Steel and Coal Union. For example for getting into the CEA the CFTA is the minimum requirement and implemented automatically. However for example Commonwealth Steel and Coal Union may only be implemented under certain conditions, and these nations don't have to agree on it.

As for free movement, that should be it's own agreement outside of the CEA. That means you don't need to be a member of the CEA to be a part of it, one only need to be ampart of the Commonwealth. Furthermore one don't need to be a part of the free movement area if one is a part of the Commonwealth.

I would suggest that a CEA should begin as a Commonwealth Free Trade Area with membership of it being optional for Commonwealth members. Of course, a Free Trade Area would also require the lifting of many restrictions on the free movement of people within the Free Trade Area - it is not free trade if you give freedom of movement to goods and capital but not labour.

And you try selling that to the Dominions, such as they are. It's all well and good to talk about the free movement of Commonwealth labour in a nation such as ours where it already exists.

((And it means de-facto that Britain still dominate its old empire :ninja: ))

Not really. That would imply that a language is a sovereign state. :)

Not really. That would imply that a language is a sovereign state. :)

((Look at the Russian proposed Eurasian Union. There Russian will be the official language to ensure that Russia will dominate it. But that is wildly off topic. What I mean is that the countries will be more suspectible to British domination as Britain will be the intellectual heartland :p ))

((Look at the Russian proposed Eurasian Union. There Russian will be the official language to ensure that Russia will dominate it. But that is wildly off topic. What I mean is that the countries will be more suspectible to British domination as Britain will be the intellectual heartland :p ))

That of course would be the same even if Britain doesn't form a Commonwealth Union. :D

No anti-revisionism? :c

((What I mean is that the countries will be more suspectible to British domination as Britain will be the intellectual heartland :p ))

Not really sure about that either, I must admit.

Status
Not open for further replies.