• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(53241)

Sergeant
Jan 25, 2006
Hello all, this being my first post and all, it’s with some trepidation that I have decided it should be an AAR. However this is the only section of these forums that I have really looked at, and after reading some other AARs I always rather wanted to do one. However it always seemed like a rather large time commitment, and I wasn’t sure it would be appreciated or worth the effort. It is after reading several of Farquharson’s AARs though that I decided to throw my glove in and try my hand at writing an AAR. I will attempt to write my own way though and if it seems to much like I’m copying his work, please do let me know. This is not to say I won't try to be adding humor, which can really spice an AAR, IMO. So anyway here it is:

The Welsh Connection

I choose Wales because to my knowledge there have been no completed Welsh AARs, just 2 that were abandoned early and one that looks like it is from a MOD since it started in the 13th century. Now, because I'm not the best player in the world at this game I made 3 small edits to the Welsh starting postion. I know, I know I'm a horrible guy, but I found that the way the Welsh normally start I just couldn't get anything done. So I raised the Welsh army from 5,000 to 8,000 (I also edited their name from Home Army to Welsh Dragons because it sounds better, and I don't know of an in-game way to change unit names), I also raised the treasury from 75 gold (or whatever it was) to 200, and I added cores on the 3 british provinces next to wales, plus Lincoln. Lincoln was an accident I got it confused with Lancashire and didn't switch it of and when I noticed the core I had already started playing the game and I didn't want to quit and start over again. I don't consider any of these are too major, it's not like I added anglosaxon culture to Wales; which I would consider a major edit that impacts the entire game instead of just the first 2 decades. Ohh also, though this doesn't really affect me, I gave all the Dutch minors cores on all the lowlands. I've noticed this tends towards at least one of them getting a stronger position and actually surviving, and I like that. Anyway, without further ado, here I go.

ScreenSave1.jpg

The Game

-AGCEEP v. 109
-Wales in 1419
-Normal/Weakling (Okay I'm a pansy, but as far I've been informed Weakling actually is harder then Normal/Normal)

[U]Goals[/U]
-Unite the British Isles under any means possible
-Start a modest colonial empire
-Take back the Celtic lands of Europe from pre-roman days
-Just all around spread the benefits of Celtic culture

forgotten_celts_2.jpg

The Benefits of Celtic Culture

"Recorded Conversations, Janurary 1, 1419"

King Ieuan I
: Well, well it's a new year. And what a lovely new year too, don't you think so?

Top Aid Marty: Aye, sa. Onla, not so much sa. As ye ken guess, ah am refering to the fact that the New Year is on March 25. We hasn't had the pope yet that switches it, sa. As far as ah know, that is. It might av al ready appanded.

King Ieuan I: Interesting. By the by, what the hell is the matter with your voice? It sounds down right Scottish!

Marty: Eh? Oh yes. ahem. Well the thing is sire, we aren't anglosaxon, we're gaelic, so I wanted to sound different from those bleeding normans and saxons. The problem is I don't know how a Welsh accent sounds, so I picked a Scottish one. Welsh accents just aren't part of popular culture like Scottish ones are sire. May I keep it?
King Ieuan I: If you must, but don't go overboard. But why aren't Welsh accents widely known?

Marty: Weal sa. Ye might say it's all thee Brits fault. Wiping our culture right off the map, attempting to intergrate us.

King Ieuan I: Those bastards! These means war, ready my horse!

Marty: I'm not sure that's such a great idea, sire.

King Ieuan: What do you mean?

Marty: Well we are in a military alliance with the English. Furthermore we are in war against France with them. Next we are their vassals. Finally most people just consider us part of the English anyway.

King Ieuan: Hmm, that would appear to be a problem. Luckily I have a plan, send diplomats to Englan, cancel the vassalization, cancel the alliance, make a new one with the Scots, and declare war on those damn Sassenachs.

Marty: I'll start making the arrangments, sa. One wee lit'le problem though sa. Its not considered 'polite' to cancel alliances while in a war together with them.

King Ieuan: Well make peace with those Frenchman as well. And see if we can get a few ducts from them.

Marty: As you say sa.

King Ieuan: In the meanwhile I'm going to go off and celebrate our mysterious bounty from heaven.

Marty.: You mean the random 3,000 men that joined us, the fact that our gold ducats apparently learned how to breeed like rabbits, and all of our people demand we take several lands from the English that we either never had, or havent' had in many hundreds of years?

King Ieuan: Exactly

"End of Conversation"

And that is exactly what those brave Welsh-without-an-accent did. By late 1420 all preperations were complete. The Welsh were completely free of the English, in a new alliance with the jolly ol' Scots, and had a white peace with the French. While the HYW continued as normal, and with most of the English forces in France, Wales declared war on the English, and the Scots were most obliging in helping out. The Scots took Meath and didn't do much else after that, except menace North Umbria, while I laid seige to Bristol and took the the town. At this time a 27,000 man army, all the men the english had in the Isles laid seige to Wales, but they couldn't get anywhere. For some reason the Welsh Dragons managed to take the Midlands, Lincoln, and were attacking York, and Wales still held as strong as ever.
Finally the English left Wales and tried their luck at taking back Bristol, while at the same time attacking the brave Welsh army. The Welsh beat them off many times though and tried making peace where Scotland would get Meath, and Britsol would go to Wales. No deal. So they tried Scotland gets meath, and the Midlands go to wales. No deal. Finally the Scots made a seperate peace where they got Meath, and a few weeks later the Brits somehow came to their senses and offered the great Welsh not only Bristol, but the Midlands as well. Finally Celtic culture could spread once more, and all the world could enjoy it's benifits.

ScreenSave0.jpg

Wales in 1424
Look 'it all the brown taking over that sickly red hue.

EDIT: How can I get my images to show?

Last edited:
Solid start. This should be good. And Ladislav is correct about your images. if you are using photobucket, it's the third line down with

Wales must be an interesting contry to play. There is a function to turn Wales on and off in AGC-EEP right?

Chapter II
...Or How I learned to stop worrying and love the French

"Recorded Conversation, 1424"

King Ieuan: Marty, I've had a long hard week and need some fun and excitment. How about we declare war on the English? You know, to pep things up a bit around here?

Marty: But sire we just finished a war with them remember? We tripled the size of the country an' all that.

King Ieaun: And...?

Marty: The people won't be to happy if we break our truce with them.

King Ieaun: And...?

Marty: Our army is greatly reduced in size

King Ieuan: And...? I really fail to your point. You've been a good advisor to me and all that, but right now you appear to have taken leave of your senses. Don't you realize killing Englishmen is a cherished way of life? If we just let them go about their business peacefully then the terrorists have won!

Marty: Terrorists, sire?

King Ieuan: ohh never mind. The point is that I really think what the country needs right now is a good war with the English. But maybe declaring on them only a week after making peace is a bit hasty. I guess we can wait a few...months?

Marty: Years would be best sire.

King Ieuan: ...years. Yes alright then. In the meantime lets show the Midlands and Bristol how much better it is to be Welsh now. First though they got to learn Welsh. Send in the schoolteachers!

welsh-phrases-for-learners-1-b.jpg

The re-education of Bristol and the Midlands

So for the next 5 years things were pretty peaceful and events all moved in Welsh favor, except in June of 1424 when the Scots decided to break the alliance with Wales and become British vassals

King Ieuan: Those bastards!

And of course in 1426 when peace broke out between the Brits and the French lords.

King Ieuan: Those bastards!

Then there was all the rejections when Wales attempted to join new alliances.

King Ieuan: Utter bastards. Every last one!

Finally in early 1427 Wales got into an alliance with France and several other nations. Since this was the year the truce would end King Ieuan decided this was the perfect time to declare war.

King Ieuan: Core! Finally.

But first a loan was taken out so a total of 8,000 caverly could be raised over the next 6 months.

King Ieuan: A loan? That's gonna be a b!tch to pay off. And why did I just say ! instead of an i?

But the King was to busy to deal with such philosphocial problems like the nature of the fine art of swearing, what with the war and all. It was a very back and forth war in many respects. And if it weren't for French help it is doubtful the Welsh would've won. First the Welsh Dragons (strength 5,000 Infantry, 13 ,000 Cav.) moved into Lancashire and took it, and then went on to seige North Umberland. In the meanwhile Bristol and then the Midlands fell to British troops, and more troops went to take back Lancashire and an army almost double fell upon the Dragons. Things were looking bad.

GreatBattle1428.jpg

Things looking bad.

King Ieuan:
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our Welsh dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
As fearfully as doth a galled rock
O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest Welsh.
Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!
Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought
And sheathed their swords for lack of argument:
Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.
Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,
Whose limbs were made in Wales, show us here
The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Ieuan, Wales, and Saint George!'

Marty: psst. Sire that's Henry V's speech, with a couple words changed for it to make sense. And we are his and now his son's bitter enemies.

King Ieuan: Maybe so, but it's one hell of a speech.

With this encourgament from their king the Welsh overthrew the british and killed over 18,000 of the enemy. It wasn't quite as easy a victory as Henry had 25 years earlier though. All the remaining infantry died, and only 9,000 Caverly remained. However the seige quickly finished up and the Welsh took the castle. Then an amazing stroke of luck occured, massive revolts erupted al over England and the seige of Lancashire was called off so that the Brits could take back their capital. The Dragons seized this chance and took back the Midlands and we're marching towards Bristol when word came of the Treaty of Paris. Under it's terms the French would gain Calais, their vassals the Bourbonnais got Guyenne, and those darling Welshmen would recieve Lancashire for their bravery and help.

1430peace.jpg

Happy days are here again!

King Ieuan: Well that was amazing good fun, let's do it again some time soon.

Marty: Ohh absolutely sire. But there is that small matter of the loan, it could be trouble. In fact since we are unable to pay it off the bank is raising it's rates on us.

King Ieuan: What! That's not right, don't they realize that they are Welshman! They should be giving us that money for free! Something must be wrong with there patriotism, I demand an immediate investiagtion of the Savings and Loan industry!

Unfortunately nothing came of that. Luckily only a year later a noble gave a gift to the state of 150 gold pieces.

King Ieuan: Score! Now lets pay that loan back as soon as the bank lets us and then declare on the British again, which is monterous good fun. First though let's look at that lovely map again.

1432.jpg

The lovely map of Wales in 1432

King Ieuan: ahh.

Well that's all for now. As you can see things are starting to look up. By the way that is Geldre controlling almost all the lowlands and looking like a major power. Like I said giving all the dutch minors cores on all the lowlands makes them far more aggressive and powerful. Well that's all for now. This actually weny by rather quickly, so I might very well have another update tonight, if not then certianly by tommorow before my late morning classes.

Fun start. Let's see where this goes... Good luck.

Do you know you could just take another loan to pay the one due? That way, interest rates do not go up.

Last edited:
Grundius: Ohh yeah. I'd forgotten about that little fact. I might very well do that next time payment comes around, because I have since decided that I probably will spend all that money on troops for another war with Briton and maybe i'll build another tax collecter since right now the only one i've got is in Wales itself.

Everyone: Thanks for the support and I'll probably have another update at some point tonight.

Chapter 3
Oohh lookit, another war with dem Brits

King Ieuan I was as happy as a Welshman could be, well almost. He would be even happy if the English were totally gone, but all in all things were still good. The plucky Welshman had defeated the English a second time, had strong allies in France, and despite an annoying loan the economy was doing moderately neato. Not that King Ieuan really cared about this last bit, as far as he was concerned a well-managed economy was something that happened to other people, the Welsh had far better uses of their time, such as pulling off elaborate revenges and tortures on the upper classes of the English who were in the Welsh land.

ice-fishing.jpg

A typical torturing of the landed English in Wales

Then came a very important day in 1434, when a man came to visit King Ieuan at his palace...

Mysterious visitor: Your Lordship, I bring great news.

King Ieuan: Yes? And what is?

Mysterious visitor: I've come to led your armies into battle, isn't that grand?

King Ieuan: Really, and why do you think you can do that?

Mysterious visitor: Well sir I'm a famous leader, and therefore get to led your armies. I'm Mathau Goch

King Ieuan: Never heard of you.

Mathau Goch: Right sir, I'm going to be famous after I led the army.

cloud_strife.jpg

Mathau Goch, not an ordinary man.

Despite being rather puzzled with this circular logic King Ieuan gave Mathau command of the Dragons, since he really was a superior commander. With this new commander King Ieuan decreed that instead of paying off the loan the treasury of Wales the money would be spent raising 8,000 new cavalry to join the 8,500 veteran cavalry of the last war. Then more good news arrived in 1435...

Marty: Great news sire, we've discovered new improvments in land fighting.

King Ieuan: Really? What can we do, have you finally figured out how to use gundpowder effectively?

Marty: Er no. In fact there aren't really any benefits at, except that our troops are so impressed that their morale has gone up.

King Ieuan: I see... and do the Brits have this... whatever it is?

Marty: That's the best news, they don't.

King Ieuan: Excellant. And since I see that our truce with them has ended, unslip the dogs of War! Ohh and do let them Frenchies know will ya? They seem rather useful in a jam.

So in Feburary 1435 the 3rd Anglo-Welsh war broke out, and acted out much the same as the last one. The Dragons quickly took Yorkshire and Lincoln while the British seized the Midlands and then quickly retreated in horror after seeing the horrible trials that the upper british were forced to endure there. It is also notable that during this war the Welsh ran out of money, however the banks were very understanding and gave King Ieuan a 2nd loan. Now this was a wake up call that maybe the economy shouldn't be ignored, and tried to get the british to give up Yorkshire and call it day, but no luck. Then one day in the Summer of '47...

King Ieuan: Mathau? What the hell are you doing here in Cardiff, shouldn't you be off fighting the war?

Mathau: Ack, no sire. France has made peace with the English on behalf of the alliance.

King Ieuan: Ohh he has, has he? Well we'll show him what it means to shortchange the Welsh!

Mathau: Oh no. We haven't been shortchanged at all, in fact it has been quite a good deal for us.

King Ieaun: Really what were the terms?

Mathau: Well the French didn't actually take another for themselves, which makes sense because they didn't really do much. However their vassals the Bourbonnais got Poitou for their support, and those ever faithful allies of France, the Dukes of Orleans got Nomandie and Caux. Furthermore we have been given Yorkshire and Lincoln.

King Ieaun: Well that's good news, though bit of bad luck about it being Lincoln and not some other province, now we've got no excuse to attack the Brits again.

Mathau: Do we really need one sire?

King Ieaun: Ha, no I suppose not. Anything else to report?

Mathau: Yes actually, apparently the Scots have broke their treaties with the English and sacked North Umbria while at the same time they are rampaging all over the Emerald Isle.

King Ieaun: Well that's a spot of luck, I guess it's now time to settle in and rebuild somewhat. We should probably start appointing some tax collectors too. Marty! What's the treasury looking like these days?

Marty: Mmmm, empty.

King Ieaun: Empty?

Marty: Yup, empty. Zip, nada, nothing. It's all gone.

King Ieaun: But we have 2 loans to bank already. Are you saying we spent all that money!

Marty: Yes indeed. It's a bit of predicament.

King Ieaun: Well, start minting some money to get us through the rest of the year and lower our military to the bare minimum. We can raise them up again when it's time for another war.

Marty: Yes sire. In the meanwhile, would you care to look at our new map?

King Ieaun: You know it!

1437peace.jpg

The <2nd> treaty of Paris

As per instructions military spending was cut down by half, and money began being minted to get the Welsh through to the new year without having to take a 3rd loan. Things worked out and at the start of 1436 there was far less money being minted per month, but King Ieuan ordered a small amount to still be made in order to get a small treasury going again. Around this time word came around that the Scots had made peace with the Brits without gaining any new lands, just 72 gold pieces.

King Ieaun: Ahh well, what a waste. I was sure they were going to take North Umbria. Still, that just means its up for our grabs.

Marty: As you say sire.

King Ieuan: Well it's been a few years, I'm up for another war with the Brits. How about you?

Marthau: Absolutely.

Marty: Might I advise we at least for the truce to run it's course?

King Ieuan: It hasn't yet? Oy vey these thing take along time to run out.

Marty: It's only 5 years total... and what was that you just said.

King Ieuan: Ohh err nothing. It's just that I was at a lovely passover during, me brother-in-law is married to Jew, what delicous cooking.

Marty: A jew? The brother of the King of France is married to a Jew?

Marthau: Eh. What can you do?

King Ieuan:... That was one of the worst rhyming schemes I've ever heard. Let's just drop the matter, okay? Okay.

So King Ieuan let things just run there course for the following year and it worked out pretty well. There were no revolts against his rule, and no possibilty of revolt, and the treasury raised itself all the way to 32 gold pieces. So you know what that means! Tune in next time for Anglo-Welsh IV (Current score: Welsh 3, English 0)

1439.jpg

Europe in 1439

As you can see France has few powers that normally don't exist. The Bourbonnais are doing fine, Luxemborg didn't get wiped out like normally and actually has multiple provinces, Geldre is doing fine, and Orleans? I mean, wow! I have never seen them do anything, but here they have 4 provinces (that Brown in French-Comte is theirs). Amazing really. Well that's all for now. I have a lot of free time tonight, so I might very well manage to get yet another update in around midnight. However normally my days aren't this empty so don't expect updates 4 times a day to be normal.

France and Co are also doing well because of Gelre... because of the cores on the Lowlands Gelre is big and prevents Burgundy from becoming a threat. Funny btw, that you are now the greatest power on the British Isles.

Ladislav: There are a fair amount of events for other nations, though not much for Wales. I have set Fantasy Events on, so there should be some later. I'm going to be honest though I had no idea what the Welsh experience was going to be like so I looked into the Event files for Wales (but I did not look at Leaders or Monarchs) and most of the events for Wales have the trigger that England still exists, which as your going to see next update won't be the case for much longer. :cool:

Grundis: 'tis true, and as you'll see the French are about to get a whole lot stronger, as is... Tuscany?!? Ohh and believe me I'm finding it hilarous. Only problem is that my army is rather small and the Scots have an enormous one, it's larger then their total population. Luckily we are on very good terms, they got no CB on me, and as you'll see they are going to be rather occupied pretty soon.

Anyway there will be an update this afternoon.

A few more snacks of England and you should be well on your way to controlling the island.

Chapter IV
Some more wars with the British
Or: Welshmen in the Mist
Or: The years 1439-1473
Or: By God, will King Ieuan ever die?

In 1439 the Welsh were more powerful then they had ever been, the English had now been administered 3 severe beatings, and it was the 37th year of King Ieuan's reign. Now Ieuan was beginning to get on in years, he was now in his mid-50s by now, and was starting to get philosphocial.

King Ieuan: You know, I was thinking. Maybe there is more to life then war and English-baiting.

Mathau, chief commander of Welsh forces: More, your lordship? What else could life possibily need?

King Ieuan: Ohh I don't know, maybe art, music, and so forth. We could start up line dancing academies for these poor English folk.

Mathau: But these things cost money, which as you know we don't have much of.

King Ieuan: True. Which is why I was thinking of spending money on maybe establishing some tax collectors. You know, get some actual revenue flowing.

Mathau: *Gasp* Taxes! That sounds decidedly European to me, the Welsh will never stand for taxes. As you'll recall you started all these to stop paying English taxes. No Taxation without Rome! We'd only pay taxes to the Romans, and they're long dead so it was a moot point and could freely attack the English.

King Ieuan: Ya know what? I always thought that was a pretty bad slogan, but it did the trick. I was thinking of a new one though, No Taxation without Reasonable Services provided from said Revenue!

Mathau: Interesting. But maybe we should put off this plan until the English are completely ground beneath our bootheels.

BRMAALineDancingClass.jpg

King Ieuan's idea of culture

Now Ieuan thought this was a great idea and declared war on the British yet again, though heeding the advice of the late advisor Marty he did wait for the truce to run it's course. This war ran a little much like the previous one, though the British did have far fewer troops then the last time so in almost no time at all the Third Treaty of Paris was signed, giving Wales control of North Umbria. This was monumentous because it bottled the English up in the south and meant they were forever at Welsh mercy, which was noticeably lacking when it came to the British. Also as part of the treaty some 200 gold pieces were to split up between Wales and it's loyal ally France. Furthermore as a seperate section of the treaty Orleans and all it's lands was peacefully totally reincoperated into France, thus making the French by far the most powerful in the land. In response to this treaty revolts broke out all over the English lands, and even the Welsh had their own small troubles...

Rebel Leader: Halt, you can not pass through these midlands.

Mathau: Really? And who might you be?

Rebel Leader: I'm the leader of the People's Republic of Midlands.

Mathau: Never heard of you.

Rebel Leader: Maybe not yet, we are still in the processing of forming. But we have taken over the cities here and demand you leave us alone.

Mathau: Well maybe, but only if you have a good reason to leave us.

Rebel Leader: Well yeah. We hate the English

Mathau: But so do we. Haven't you seen all the wars, we just finished up a 4th one in fact.

Rebel Leader: But you don't hate them enough, we want to see the English totally gone from the Isles

Mathau: Done.

Rebel Leader: Really?

Mathau: Well, not yet. But soon, just another war or two.

Rebel Leader: Pinky swear?

Mathau: Absolutely, cross my heart and hope to die too. Now will you stop being such a baby and rejoin us?

Rebel Leader: Well okay.

Mathau: And may I ask why you hate the English even more then we do?

Rebel Leader: Well I am English you see. But everyone kept asking me to be so damn charming and funny that I just kind of snapped and wished death upon all English.

Mathau: Ahh.

mickey-blue-eyes-1.jpg

The Rebel Leader explaining his issues with the English

Things settled down a bit now in Wales, though there was still no sign of the tax collectors that Ieaun wanted to be in the countryside. Instead money was spent paying off loans and raising the troop strength of the Dragons, then in the summer of '50

Mathau: King Ieuan, I must speak with you!

King Ieaun: Yes what is it?

Mathau: Well it's just that I'm feeling a little constrained here in these Isles. I want to go and travel the world, maybe write a book, take up tennis, learn another langauge...

King Ieaun: And report back on all your discoveries?

Mathau: Well, no. I don't planning on coming back here, I'm going to retire.

King Ieaun: No don't go!

But despite Ieaun's pleas Mathau went off into the sunset. Naturally this did not go over well with the Welsh people.

paris.jpg

A typical Welsh reaction to Mathau's leaving

Since Mathau was gone, a rather typical man named Dunlap took over command of the dragons. Now he realized that he wasn't to popular, since who could fill Mathau's shoes? So to boost his image he suggested to King Ieuan that what the Welsh really needed was a fifth war with the English. King Ieuan thought this was a great idea and ordered the army to move into Wessex. This war was rather different then most in that Wales went into it alone, the French were busy convincing the Bourbonnias that it was good that they were now in a more intimate relation with them, and thus dishonored the alliance. Also a war with Provence that the French were in, and the Welsh too though they didn't do anything, ended in 280 gold pieces being paid by Provence. Naturally the French sent half of this bounty to Wales and hoped that this would end the sting the Welsh must be feeling.
Next came the fact that the English lands started swarming with rebels, who luckily never decided to move into Welsh lands. So it ended up that the Dragons fought the Rebels far more then the English, whose army they never actually saw. After taking Wessex they moved into Cornwall when news came from King Ieaun.

Dunlap: Well, what is it?

Messanger: The war's over, it's time to go home.

Dunlap: Home? But we haven't even taken Cornwall yet.

Messanger: Yes well, remember all those rebels? Turns out they've seized the the English lands and caused the government to fall. The provincal government just gave Wessex to us, without even consulting our King. Naturally King Ieaun was rather surprised with this and the sudden truce that he wasn't even consulted on. However he considers it rather unsporting to continue on right now, and orders you to return home for now. In 5 years we can have another go at it, he says. In more good with the governments fall, one of the Irish kingdoms, Connaught has taken control of the alliance, and offered 180 gold pieces to end the war. Naturally with no fleet to attack the Irish, the king accepted.

1456.jpg

Welsh lands after this sudden peace.

With the treasury so large and with virtually no deaths in the Dragons caused by the fifth Anglo-Welsh war, King Ieuan decided that tax collectors should finally be established. And in 1456 in the Midlands the first tax collectors outside the one in Cardiff that had been around since 1419 was established. It was quickly followed by several more, and then naturally in 1461 a sixth war was declared against the English. This was not quite as honorable a war as the first 5, since the Welsh didn't have any real excuse. Not even just the English were a threat, since they really weren't anymore. Naturally this rocked the stabilty of the nation somewhat, but this did not deter King Ieaun. Espiecally as King Ieaun was most definitely getting on in years, he had been king for 59 years now, and had already been in his late teens when he took the throne, and Ieaun wanted to see the English totally vanquished before he died.
The war progressed quickly, and the dragons proved why they were the most feared fighting force in all the Isles. After only 9 months of fighting the English agreed to pay 155 gold to the Welsh (which on the very day it was recieved was spent raising tax collectors in the new provinces, plus North Umbria), and hand over the provinces of Kent and Cornwall. This coupled with the fact that rebels in Gascogn had handed that province over to the French, meant that the English were reduced to just the lands around London. "See how they like it now" was a common phrase to be heard around Cardiff.

1462.jpg

Welsh lands in 1462

In 1464 word came out of Yorkshire that the taxcollector had been rather overzealous, and the people there were very angry. They demanded that either the man be killed or they would revolt. Dunlap and the Dragons went up to Yorkshire to see what the problem was.

Dunlap: What's the problem here?

Representative of the People: Well, the thing here is we don't like paying taxes!

Dunlap: And?

Rep.: We demand all taxes are revoked for Yorkshire or we revolt. What say you?

Dunlap: Before I answer let me ask you a question. Do enjoy your free line dancing lessons?

Rep.: Well, yes.

Dunlap: And lamb-free Hagis that we've been promoting?

Rep.: Yes...

Dunlap: And the ice-fishing extravaganzas?

Rep.: Uh-huh

Dunlap: Well none of these things would be possible without taxes. You want basic services, you pay taxes. It's as simple as that, no taxes and say good bye to all this things. Plus no more universal health care system.

Rep.: We have a universal health care system?

Dunlap: Well we're working on it.

Rep.: Okay. I guess you made your point. Well calm down I guess.

Dunlap: Excellent.

ross_perot.gif

The man stirring up the good people of Yorkshire

Finally in 1468 the seventh and final war against the English was declared. It was a very quick affair which ended in London falling only a few months after the war begin, and then it happened. The total surrender of England. The Annexation. The Dream of all Dreams. Wild celebrating begin, which was even louder once it was discovered that the English had a rather large fleet. This fleet went over totally to the Welsh, all 25 Warships and 10 transports, which went into combat at once. See the rest of the world wasn't too happy about Welsh actions, event the French were upset, which made sense at all to the Welsh considering that the English had been bitter enemies of the French. The only people that didn't seem too broken up about it was the Scots, who for apperances sake still lowered thier relationship with the Welsh to 'just friends'. The Irish were particually mad and fought a naval war with the Welsh for the next five years that ended in a white peace. However King Ieaun did not live to see it.
For in 1469 with the English finally gone King Ieuan's greatest ambition and the driving force behind 67 years of rule was over. And at the age of 85 he went to his well deserved rest. Naturally there was mourning and wailing and nashing of teeth. There was also problems with who should be the next Welsh king. The thing was that Ieaun had several sons who survived to adult hood, the problem was that most of them died of old age before Ieaun did. However some were still alive, and they felt that one of them as the closest living relative of Ieaun should be king. However Felding Melsh, who had the been oldest son of Ieaun and had died of old age, had a son named Maredudd. Maredudd felt that he should be King by right of primogeniture and eventually got his when he made a deal with his uncles that one of them would take up Dunlap's postion, who was retireing, and the other would get to be a top advisor with a hefty pension. So the succession, though contested, ended bloodlessy.
Maredudd the First of his Name wanted the war with the Irish to end, and it was early in his reign that it finally happened. With peace finally declared and a massive fleet protecting the shores of the Welsh, and the only land neighbors, the Scots, on friendly terms. Maredudd felt secure enough not to raise the numbers of the Dragons, at least not yet. Instead he continued his father's policy of creating tax collectors throughout the land. In 1473 the future was looking bright for the Welsh, what would be on the horizon for them?

1476.jpg

Wales in 1473

Okay I realize this update was a lot longer then my previous ones, but I really wanted to finish up with the English wars and King Ieuan's reign, so I put it all in here. I also realize that things seem a little crammed in this, and I'm sorry for that too. I'll try not to do this again next update. Ohh and by the way that Green controlling Flanders is Tuscany, as is some of the Green of Germany. In fact germany is mess there are 4 green powers, Stryia, Hesse, Tuscany and 1 other that have quite alot of land there and border each other a lot. So it's kind of hard to figure out whose winning there.

Last edited:
Another thing I forgot to mention was that during all this time the Scots got into quite a lot of wars with the Scandanavians. Which is good because at their height they had 50K men on their border with me, but it was severally cut down to size, and they have had to be indementies to the Denmark alliance several times, weakening them further. I would make an alliance with them and attempt to diplo-annex them but I don't want to fight the Scandanavians, and the Scots are allied with the Burgundians right now. Also despite the fact that I did rather well as part of the French alliance, I've decided that from now on I want to be the leader of any alliances i'm in.

I would try to get into the former English alliance. Then dow the Scots, take Meath and Force-vassalize them. With Meath you can diploannex the Irish (or make one annex the rest and then diploannex the survivor) and then diploannex the Scots. You'll be master of the British Isles before you know it :D.

Grundis: Ohh I am going for the Scots but I've decided to put off the Irish and horrible BB points I get from force-annexing them (which I'd be tempted into doing) and I'm already at 12. So I went for a juicier target... the mainland.

Chapter V
1473-1484
Or: I'd like some naval war to spice up all this peace

In 1473 the English had been gone for several years and the Welsh had become despondant over the lack of an enemy to fight. This feeling made them rather apathetic, so much so that when the opportunity came up to expel the old English "Marcher Lords" from Wales it decided not too. After all it's not like they could oppress the Welsh anymore, and English-baiting had lost it's flavor. The situation continued for 4 long years, and none felt this feeling more so then King Maredudd.

Maredudd: Ohh what to do, what to do. Life has no flavor anymore, we really need a good war around here. Any suggestions?

Dunwip, Uncle to the King and Current Commander of the Dragons: How about the Scots?

Maredudd: Nah, too poor. Besides their King, it's a James I'm pretty sure, gets along famously with me.

Dunwip: No sire. What I mean is, why don't we make an alliance with them.

Maredudd: Look Uncle, I just told you I want a war, not some bloody peace!

Dunwip: Exactly. Look at the Scots, they just got out a whole series of wars with nations far stronger then them. They have no sense of proportion at all. If we ally with them, I'm sure they "reluctantly drag us" into a war with someone.

Maredudd: Capital idea. But arent' they allied with the Burgundians?

Dunwip: Not as of this morning, look at these headlines...

ford_to_city_drop_dead.jpg

The Headlines, a reduction in printing costs is rather obvious...

Maredudd: Excellent send a man to suggest an alliance.

Well as it just so happened the Scots were looking for an ally and accepted the Welsh proposal. However before any lovely wars could be sunk into a homegrown popped up in the southern provinces. It turns out that these people rather wanted the English back in power and hated all things Welsh, luckily the dragons were on hand to squelch the fires before they got out fo hand. However Maredudd complained that this wasn't a real war, and his people tended to agree with him. So Maredudd decided to start a quarell with the Scots and get in war with them. He and his advisors suggested that the best way to insult the Scots was suggest they submit to the Welsh and become their vassals. Maredudd went up to see the Scots personally so he could be on hand to witness the start of the fued...

Scottish King, quite probably a James: Welcome King Maredudd, and what may we do for our southern ally today.

Maredudd: Well we were thinking that we should get closer with you Scots, friendship is such a nice thing after all. And since you've rather proven your diplomatic incompatence, we Welsh were thinking maybe you'd like to be our vassals so we can take care of you?

Dunwip: *Whispering* Excellent Highness, that should get his dander up.

SK, QPA James: I accept.

Maredudd: I beg your pardon Scottish King who is probably a James, but what did you say?

James: I said I accept, it seems like a rather good idea from our point of view.

Maredudd: Really? Huh. *Whispering to Dunwip* Those two-timing bastards, all I wanted was a good war.

James: Sorry. Did you say something?

Maredudd: Uh, no. Well, that's all thanks. See you soon.

Undetered by this Scottish treachery Maredudd continues to search the lands for a good enemy. Suddenly one day in the Summer of 1478 word came down from the Highlands that the Scots had managed to get in war with distant Venice and her allies.

Maredudd: Really?

Messanger: Ohh yes sir.

Maredudd: Not that I'm complaining, I'll be glad to help out. But, why Venice? That seems a little... distant.

Messanger: Maybe so but it's all the rage. There are no less then 5 alliances, 6 if you help us, totalling 17 countries that are all at war with Venice and her ally Tuscany.

Maredudd: Tuscany too? And they control Flanders don't they? I've got no time to lose, I've got to prepare the troops. Inform the King that Wales accepts the Scottish plea. Ohh and by the way, why don't you have a Scottish accent.

Messanger: Ohh it's not me fault sir. I was carried off as a child by marauding Sassenachs.

Maredudd: Ahh.

With this wonderous good news Maredudd prepared the fleet in the channel the Dragons under Dunwip loaded up and set sail for Tuscan Flanders. There were several sea battles on the way and in the way of the landing there a force of 5000 infantry, veterans of Tuscany's many wars. However in a bloody battle the Dragons emerged as the victors and in the beginning of 1481 settled into the long siege. During this time numerous battles at sea were fought and many ships were destroyed. The numbers were not quite as good as Maredudd would've hoped: 4 Welsh warships destroyed by the Tuscans, and 3 more by attrition; while 6 Tuscan warships and numerous transports were destroyed in return. Of course there were also many, many battles were no ships were destroyed only damaged.

The seige dragged on and on, and there was no hope in sight for a victory. During this time Maredudd decided that what the people needed was a good ol' wedding, multiple ones prefered. Not peasant weddings of course, who would care about them? But royal weddings. Maredudd was blessed with many, many relatives, all descendants of the long-lived Ieaun. And since they all stayed around the palace while Ieaun lived, they remained in touch with each other. So Maredudd had many of his cousins married off to princes in Austria, Spain, Russia, Milan, and Saxony to name a few. Soon there were few royal families in Europe that didn't have a Welshwoman in them. Except the French. Ungrateful bastards who hated the Welsh ever since the English were defeated. Never marry a Frenchman was one of the many axioms that travled the Welsh lands in these days.

During 1482 and 83 two very great things happened. The first was that in 1482, Welsh researchers reported that they had discovered "Land Tech 3", excitedly Maredudd meant if the army would have guns now. But they said that it was rather earlier to make that plunge, and they would need far more research grants before they felt ready to announce if guns were safe to give the troops.
Then in 1483 the siege was still not progressing anywhere when along came a man...

Man: Stand aside everyone! I take large steps!

Dunwip: And who might you be?

Man: I am... Rhy ap Thomas. I have come to led our troops to victory.

Dunwip: And why should you lead the army.

Rhy ap Thomas: Because...
I am my ideal!
I, Rhy ap Thomas,
I, slaughterer of thousands,
I, oppressor of the meek,
Subduer of the weak,
Degrader of the Greek,
Destroyer of the Turk,
Must hurry off to work.

Dunwip: Well you convinced me.

FunnyThing1a.jpg

Rhy ap Thomas, shown here relaxing after a hard day's work.

Under his inspired leadership the Dragons finally took the city and offered peace if the Welsh were given Flanders, naturally Tuscany refused. However around this time they were totally defeated and had no army, no navy, and no cities not currently controlled by someone else. So they got and started randomly handing stuff out. One of the things they handed was Flanders to the Welsh, which was generously accepted. Rhy ordered some 6,000 levies raised in Flanders and 6,000 of the Dragons would remain in Flanders and become part of the permanent force there. This undertaken Rhy and the remaining 3,000 Dragons boarded ships in the harbour and landed in Kent to a hero's welcome.
Then in 1484 a white peace was signed with Venice, and other neccessary details were made. The dragons were raised to 10,000, the defense force in Flanders was raised to 15,000, and a tax collector was placed there. Furthermore with inflation now at 10% it was decreed that there would be no more minting money ever. Unless there was a good reason.

1484.jpg

Wales and the Surrounding Lands in 1484

As you can see France is big and strong and acutally has several lands in Spain. Meanwhile Geldre fell while I wasn't paying attention and Burgundy has taken it over. Pretty soon Scotland will have been my vassal for 10 years, and when that happens, I pop the question. So Wales might be getting much bigger very soon.

Last edited:
Well well, the first invasion of the mainland. What do you plan on? European Conquest perhaps?

Grundius: Good question. I have to have the Celtic lands but that is just Scotland, Ireland, and Brittany i think. If you know of any other Celtic culture provinces do let me know. Other then that I want this area of the ocean my pond, so all the coast of France, the low lands, and much of Scandinavia. Also I do want most of the old Celtic lands from before the Romans showed up. And since that is quite a lot of Europe, this could probably end up in a European Conquest. And if I finish that quick enough, who know? There could be a WC in the future. :cool:

I don't really know though, I've only played 15 years past this last update, and I'm going to AAR it before playing any further. Speaking of which I should have an update at some point today, but only one.