• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
English out of Britain. Interesting. And it looks like France is possibly next. Maybe a bit too soon to put a tax collector in Flanders (RR must be like +5 or something now), but the CoT should come in handy.

With the capture of Flanders the Welsh finally had a decent amount of money following into their coffers, more money in fact then they knew what to do with. In fact it rather offended Welsh sensabilties that they were no longer the noble poor, but rather the rich, powerful overlords. Some suggested that this should be fixed by getting a long, bloody war. However it was quickly pointed out that the last long bloody war had ended in this situation. So King Maredudd decided that what the Welsh needed was a great Fine Arts Academy to spread Welsh culture. A rather high price was fixed and the Welsh set about saving up their money, while at the same time watching the situation in case their was a great war they get bogged down in.

cardiff_castle.jpg

Maredudd's idea of culture, slightly more refined then his Grandsire's

Then came rather odd news in 1486, somebody with the monkier of Charles the Bold died in France and gave all his lands to Burgundy. Or maybe vice versa. The Welsh who reported the incident weren't all too sure of the details, all they knew was that Burgundy was quite a bit larger then it had been before.

1486.jpg

The area surrounded by the big black line is what was added to Burgundy in this event.

Unfortunately the Welsh didn't quite know how to take advantage of this new situation in Europe, but it was hoped that Burgundy and France would get into a long war and Wales would be able to pick up the pieces. However it was soon discovered that the Welsh didn't need to really do anything. Calais, which had been in rebel hands for several years was now completely cut off from France and decided in 1490 that this was as good a time as any to join Wales. They were so happy to join Wales in fact that even though they were French, and in fact were the only French in the kingdom, they had absolutely no desire to hold any more revolts of any kind.

Now throughout this time Wales had been asking Scotland in both round-a-about and directly if they would like to join Wales in a more personal way, and throughout this time the Scots said 'No thank you' so in early 1493 King Maredudd decided to go up to ask King whose name is probably another James personally.

Scottish King: So, I guess you're here to ask us to join your kingdom, same as all the other Welsh who've been here for the past couple years?

Maredudd: Yes.

SK: And what reason could you give me that the other Welshman couldn't and thus convince me?

Maredudd: Well, I'm not sure if you're aware of this fact, and you might not considering the new size of Wales, but we are Celts. Just like you, and the Irish too in fact.

SK: You don't say?

Maredudd: Yup. In fact, we are probably the only people besides you who also like Haggis.

SK: This changes everything! We'll join you at once.

dp_My_Bad.jpg

The Scottish King's reaction at being asked "How could you not realize the Welsh were Celtic?

byescots.jpg

The happy news.

1493.jpg

Map of Wales and surrounding lands in 1493

It was soon discovered that the Scots had a massive army, too large in fact. It was 40,000 infantry and 3,000 Cavarly. The Cavarly joined the Welsh border guard which was restationed in the old Scotish capital. While 3/4ths of the infantry were disbanded and the last fourth sent to Meath.
After this Wales decided it needed new allies and went to the only people that really liked Wales still, the Irish. So after sending some gifts to butter them up, Wales joined the Irish-Brittiany alliance. Wales quickly dominated the alliance, making Leinster and Connaught it's vassals. This actually made things rather odd at alliance summits, because Connaught was the leader of the alliance, yet was a Welsh vassal. Just about no one could wait for the alliance to end so Wales could start a new one as leader and thus sort out the confusion.

During all this time the Swedes & Danes were being very bad boys and just about everyone was declaring war on them, it was so bad that Norway decided to part ways with them, and so they declared war on them. It was quite a battlefield up there and so Wales decided it wanted in. Connaught was pressed into being the one to declare war and everyone quickly joined in.

badsweden.jpg

As you can see Sweden is over the Bad Boy limit, so I'm guessing all the wars were the equivalent of the Bad Boy wars againt Human players.

The greatest fear of the Welsh was the Norse fleets however it quickly appeared that the Norse were being overestimated. Years of battle had taken it's price, and the Welsh fleet was acutally rather large and effective. The Dragons were sent into Geldre (which had been taken by the Danes from Burgundy a short while earlier) and discovered there was no walls there so the city fell in a day. After this it was decided that instead of marching through the Swedish lands of Northern germany it would be best to go for the throat. The 10,000 man strong force in Scotland was sent into Jllyland and beat back all attempts to dislodge them. After taking the area they laid seige to the Danish capital. It appeared that the end was near for the Danes, but then...

Messanger: News, your highness!

Maredudd: Yes?

Messanger: The Franco-Burgundy war has ended and many Burgundian lands have been re-incorperated into France. Following this the French now have a border with us again, and decreed that now is the time for Calais to rejoin their lands. So they've declared war.

Maredudd: Ahh, excellent.

Messanger: Excellent, your highness?

Maredudd: Why, yes. I've always wanted to fight a two-sided war. Here have a bonus. And in fact take a paid vacation, yes that's it. I want you to go relax somewhere for a few weeks. Let it never be said I don't reward good news.

So a war was begun with the French, however it was quickly discovered that maybe this wasn't such great. It turned out the French had something called 'Land Tech 5' while the Welsh only had measly 'Land Tech 3' so although the Welsh didn't lose a single battle while defending their holdings, a large number of losses was being had. Luckily the entire alliance joined Wales and the Irish fleet helped destroy the entire french fleet and Brittiany pillaged from Nomandie to the Pyrennes. This wasn't enough however, so Wales decided to end the 2-sided war. After long talks the Welsh made peace with the Daneo-Swede alliance in exchange for Jylland and 50 gold. There was some disappointment that the Welsh didn't get more, but such is life. And without Welsh help the Irish couldn't fight much longer and so in exchange for a few gold pieces they made a peace.

With this peace in existance the Dragons were sent to Flanders to join the survivors there. They beat back another attack and went on the offensive, it was during this time that by sheer coincidence that the Welsh discovered 'Land Tech 4' and again Maredudd asked if this meant that the army could be given gunpowder weapons, and again he was told by the researchers that they needed far more research grants before they could decide if gunpowder was safe or not. However Rhy ap Thomas and the Dragons managed to take Picarde with the help of 4,000 more cavalry that had been raised in Kent. At this point it was decided that peace was needed. Although the Welsh were totally warlike and could fight forever, the Anglos weren't quite as strong-willed and were getting quite tired. So it was decided that a quick peace with France was needed. Rhy ap knew what needed to be done and marched on Paris. The city fell 8 months later and the court there was forced to flee. A few days after this King Maredudd sent his generous offer: Give me Picarde and 25 gold, and we'll stop fighting you. The French agreed, and so Wales was at peace once more. Tax collectors were sent to the new Welsh lands and the army in Jylland was built up while the defenses of Flanders were raised to a whole new level. Meanwhile the Welsh prepared for a new war.

1502.jpg

Wales and the surrounding lands in 1502

Well the French started it, but I'm going to finish it. So I plan on only starting wars with the French until I've crushed them totally.

Sounds like a solid plan. And your progress looks good on the continent. Nice work with Scotland, too.

Earl of Duke said:
Well the French started it, but I'm going to finish it. So I plan on only starting wars with the French until I've crushed them totally.

A truly memorable part of your AAR, this noble vow :D.

You took Jylland from Denmark, but why did you not go for the colonies of Sweden in the north? Not enough men to survive the winter?

Thanks for the support everyone!

Grundius: Well yes I was worried about attrition, but also the Danes had a massive army at their capital which for some reason they never sent against me. It just sat there, also as you can see from the maps Sweden lost it's nothern Germany provinces but still had substanital armies there. I didn't want them to besiege Jylland as soon as I left it. And I wanted Jylland more then the Swedish colonies. With Jylland as a base I can keep a fleet of 15 warships (part of the gift the English gave me when I annexed them) at sea there with no attrition costs, and keep the Danish and Swedish fleets bottled in the Baltic. And if they send ships out before declaring war, then those ships are never going to be getting back into the Baltic again. I'm none to worried about the Danes and Swedes though. They are always in at least 1 war, often more. And since Sweden keeps reannexing the provinces that leave it, it's badboy level has soared. Also with Norway at war with Sweden, it's wandering armies get to constantly loot and disrupt the Swedish economy.

Anyway, there should be another update tonight (it's currently 10:15 am where I live). Teaser Tagline: The Ferocious French Furious at being Foiled again.

This has got to be the funniest AAR I've ever read.

I love the pictures....especially of the people...."dancing"....

Keep it up....I love it :)

Earl of Duke said:
Well yes I was worried about attrition, but also the Danes had a massive army at their capital which for some reason they never sent against me. It just sat there, also as you can see from the maps Sweden lost it's nothern Germany provinces but still had substanital armies there. I didn't want them to besiege Jylland as soon as I left it. And I wanted Jylland more then the Swedish colonies. With Jylland as a base I can keep a fleet of 15 warships (part of the gift the English gave me when I annexed them) at sea there with no attrition costs, and keep the Danish and Swedish fleets bottled in the Baltic. And if they send ships out before declaring war, then those ships are never going to be getting back into the Baltic again. I'm none to worried about the Danes and Swedes though. They are always in at least 1 war, often more. And since Sweden keeps reannexing the provinces that leave it, it's badboy level has soared. Also with Norway at war with Sweden, it's wandering armies get to constantly loot and disrupt the Swedish economy.

Okay, this is understandable. Jylland is indeed a valuable province for bottling up the fleets of the baltic nations.

Once again I want to thank everyone for their support. Now, before I do this update I want to make 1 correction, 1 thing I omitted in my last update (which I wrote rather hastily) First I stated I made Connaught and Leinster my vassals, this is incorrect, I actually made Connaught and Desmond my vassals, while Leinster is a vassal of Ulster. It's just to easy to be confused by all the Irish. Also I forgot to mention that I didn't get to build that Fine Arts Academy. I had a great deal of money saved up but I spent a fair portion on Tax Collectors in my new Scottish provinces, but I did build it later in this update. Now on with the show!

Chapter VII
The Ferocious French Furious at being Foiled again

In early 1502 there was a rather large gift to the Welsh state by some noble in his will. Said King Maredudd "How in all the hells did a single man have more money then this entire country?" Unfortunately none could provide a good answer, so he tortured off a great deal of the consultents in the country, as well as much of the accounting firms for so mismanaging Welsh fiances. Though much of middle management in Wales thought this was a good thing, not everyone was as enlightened and troops in Scotland were forced to put down a rebellion of accountants and consulting firms in North Umbria. Luckily they lacked support of the people, and were quickly put down.

plank.jpg

The beginning of the so-called "Accountant Rebellion"

1502 was also the 100th year since King Ieuan rose to the Welsh throne, and in all that time there had been one other king besides Ieaun. People began whispering that the Welsh Kings had made a deal with Satan to gain unnaturally long life as long as they brought chaos to the land. No Welsh Kings were available for comment, though this theory gained creedance after it was reported that during a court session where this newswas brought to Maredudd's attention that a ghostly voice said "Don't worry I see some pestilance coming their way, and there is plenty of room down here for more souls". No Ghostly Voices were available for comment either.

After this there was little going on for several years while King Maredudd began saving up money again to try to finally build his Academy, and also support Welsh Culture in the form of annual astronomy meetings to see how many meteors could be sighted. In 1506 came the excellent good news that Connaught was willing to join Wales in a more permanent way then Vassal-Overload and though many saw this as a good thing it slightely upsetted those small-minded people in the mainland sick of seeing Wales expand so successfully. Also in 1506 there was enough money to begin the Academy which broke ground in the outskirts of Cardiff. With it's completion in 1508 it was agreed to be the most beautiful impressive building in the country, naturally the elites wanted to keep it for themselves

PelesCastle.jpg

Fine Arts Academy of Cardiff, poor need not apply

His contribution to the Fine Arts completed King Maredudd decided to return to the other Fine Art, warfare. So later in 1508 war was declared on the French, and all of the Welsh allies joined in the fun. While 15,000 cavalry in Picarde marched on Caux and after that fall moved onto Normandie, the 15,000 strong all-cavalry Welsh Dragons under the totally legendary Rhy ap Thomas marched on Paris. At this same time the French managed to take and then annex plucky little Brittiany and somehow snuck 2,000 men across the channel into Wessex with the hope of pillaging however they were quickly crushed by the North Umbrian-based Fenhiron Bragard. The Picardie force suffered some setbacks but managed to eventually take it's 2 primary objectives while the Dragons continued their 89 year history of not losing a single battle, ever. Then Burgundy declared war on the French in the hopes of regaining lost lands and with French forces tied up the Welsh were in a postion to utterly destroy the French. But then...

Maredudd: Peace, what do you mean peace? I never signed a peace.

Top Advisor Feldman: Well it's a bit embarrsing to mention, but see you're not the leader of the grand Welsh-Irish alliance.

Maredudd: What do you mean? I could crush them all, easily. Besides we annexed the leader Connaught, surely I should lead the alliance?

Feldman: Maybe so sire, but you aren't. And peace has been signed. For 29 gold pieces and the lands of Caux and Normandie are yours.

Maredudd: Okay, but what about everything else? We had those French by their scrawny necks!

Feldman: Not much we can do sire.

Maredudd: Well at least we shouldn't be in this alliance too soon, I mean it's been 30 years or so, I'd guess. Surelly it should expire soon?

Feldman: You'd think so, and yet for some reason the expiration date just keeps getting pushed back.

Maredudd: Bah. Vassalize Ulster, that'll show 'em.

Unfortunatley that would take several years and quite a lot of gifts, so in the mean time Maredudd spent his time staring at the new map of Europe.

1510.jpg

Europe 1510. As you can see the great powers are forming up nicely. Burgundy has gotten back some land from France, and it looks like a Kingdom of Italy could appear soon.

After this less-then-total-victory the Welsh busied themselves with building up the infrastruture, and "fun-torturing" and re-educating French persons. Which they found to be just as fun as the old "fun-torturing" and re-education of English persons. Life seemed good, and under the seemingly deathless Maredudd the people were relatively happy Unfortunately not everyone is as longlived as a Welsh King and in 1515 Rhy ap Thomas died after an incredibly successful career, and he was remembered even more foundly then the hero of King Ieuan's reign, Mathau Goch.

sorry.gif

Overall mood of Welshman on hearing of Rhy ap Thomas' death

To celebrate his life and death in the grand Welsh tradition, Maredudd decided to expand the kingdom. Unfortunately it was a peaceful expansion. Desmond was diplomatically added to the Welsh possessions, while Ulster became the newest and currently only vassal of Wales. During this time it was hoped that a war with the Danes could start up so that Wales could get some lands in the area, but Maredudd was unwilling to be the one to start hostilities; and the Danes were rather busy. So nothing came of that.

Danishwars.jpg

What the Danes were busy doing

In 1518 something called the reformation happened, but King Maredudd could see no long lasting consquences so he ignored it feeling it was just a passing fad.

In 1520 there had now been a 10 year period of peace, a very boring time by Welsh standards. So Maredudd decided to look at the map one last time, plan some new wars against the French, and vow never to be so boringly peaceful.

1520.jpg

Europe 1520

Yeah, a rather boring update. I'm not sure what got into me, but I promise to be more brutally violent and aggressive next time. Just like the good old days. Also I'm starting a pool by myself on when Maredudd will die and if the next king will just as long as the last 2. Also I hope I finally get some good kings. Both Ieuan and Maredudd were 'Poor' Adminstratively and 'Average' for Military and Diplomacy. I could just look into the Monarch file, but I want to stay surprised.

Normandy is sizing up well for you. So do you plan on going Protestant or will the King continue to see little lasting effects of the reformation?

Well like I said before I have looked at the event file for Wales, and there really aren't many events. However there is one that automatically converts you to reformed in 1750, however that is over 200 years from now. I think I might go converted, not sure yet. And I'll have you know that Maredudd is right, as far as he knows. My question on when he dies was answered in what will be the next update, the answer: 2 months before no less then 3 countries and over a dozen provinces convert.

Also I unfortunately don't think I'll be able to expand into France anymore. By what I can see of the terrority (which is almost all of it thanks to royal marraiges with Spain and Savory) they have around 200,000 men. How this is possible when they can't have much more manpower then me (63,000 troops supportable) I don't know. But with this troop disparity I can't attack them again.

Well, the AI usually pours all his men into one siege. If you can get a couple of all-cavalry forces, say 3 of about 15-20,000, you can evade the massive French armies and siege/loot at will. They will lose a lot to attrition and will probabky only be able to siege one or two provinces simulatenously, while you can siege 3. Plus France will surely attack somebody, and if that somebody isn't you, you can let them take the brunt of it.

Anyway, I like your reckless style. It's truly fun to read a good'ol conquer-them-all AAR. Just keep centralization and stability high. Civil War really sucks (check my Burgundy AAR for details :( ).

Chapter VIII
We fought war for this? An ice flow??
OR: Ohh well, let's go kill some Frenchies 'till we feel better.

The year 1523 saw two great events happen to Wales, the first was that Welsh Reseachers reported they had discovered "Land Tech 6"; and before King Maredudd could even ask they said that they still needed more research grants before determining all the effects of giving guns to the troops, but they did say they felt a major breakthrough was going to happen soon. Maredudd was heard to mumber "I'll giv'em a breakthrough, lousey gits." However he felt better after the second peace of news, which was that Ulster agreed to become part of the Wales. With this all of Ireland was now in Welsh hands, except for Leinster. Leinster was an odd case though, and had remained apart from the other Irish Kings throughout the past 100 years. Wales attempted to vassalize Leinster, but they would have no part of it.

Now that Ulster was gone Wales no longer had any allies, so they placed a personal ad in the European papers: "Single Island Empire looking for large conglomerate empire-building power. Must like long walks and the music of "Great Big Sea". No French." After a few months the Spanish responded inviting Wales to join the Grand Spanish-Portugeuse-Venetian allaince, and Wales accepted. The only requirement was that Wales declare war on someone called the "Zapotec" which King Maredudd agreed to do, though he didn't know who they were, or why there was a war going on. The Spanish were graceful enough to provide maps showing the Zapotec capital, but not how to get there, nor where it was. It looked like it was floating in a big white cloud, so obviously the Welsh couldn't do anything about it. And that was that.

Then in 1525...

Maredudd: Gack!

That's right, Maredudd finally died after a reign of 56 years. Not quite as long as his grandsire King Ieuan's reign of 67 years, but impressive anyway. As a Welsh king Maredudd had greatly expanded the lands of Wales and left Cardiff as capital of an Empire that was one of the largest in the Europe, and probably the world. With his death, Maredudd's own grandson Sion took over. It appeared to be that if your father was king he'd outlive you and your own son would become king, for this was the second time running that the King had outlived his won sons. Sion had a grand coronation in the old style.

sion.jpg

Sion preparing for his coronation with his trusted advisor... and a sheriff.

The thing about Sion was that he really wasn't very competent at every day things, in fact he generally considered "Poor" at everything, but like his venerated ancestors he could see the big picture. He decided that the best way to get the people united behind their new king was a quick war. The Swedes seemed like a likely target, so war was declared. While massive naval engagement erupted all over the seas, 3,000 men were sent to the Icelandic colony that Sweden had seized from Norway several decades earlier. They took the land and after a few more naval battles, the majority won by Wales, the Swedes accepted peace and gave up Iceland. A group of hardy Welsh were sent there and they were so hardy that the native Norse there agreed to become Celtic in all ways and it was declared that they were now a city. Now Iceland with all it's natural treasure and beauty was considered a great jewel added to Wales, and Sion decided it was time for a new war.

MudPotsLarge.jpg

Iceland with it's scenic mudflows and flies larger then your eyes.

However with stabilty at a new low due to the unjustified war, Sion was convinced to wait. In 1531 came the oddest news, no less then 7 Southern England provinces all decided to become Protestant on the 1st of the new year. This along with Jylland which had been protestant for several years, made a compelling arguement for conversion of the state religion. However as no Celtic provinces had yet converted, nor the rich lands in Gaul, it was decided that Wales would remain Catholic for a few more years. However Sweden, Bohemia, and Hesse all converted. This was actually rather embarrising because Hesse's king was actuall Holy Roman Emperor at this time. Wars were breaking out all over Scandinavia and Germany, and Wales decided to get in on the action. However instead of declaring war on the now-heathen Swedes, Wales attacked Norway. As Norway was still Catholic and allied with the Danes against the Swedes, this didn't go over well with the rest of Europe; and Sion wisely didn't call in his allies in this war.

It was a quick affair and after Land Tech 7 was reached during the war the Norwegians offered 2 totally unpronouncable provinces, which the Welsh accepted. However at this time Stabilty was at the lowest it could be, and revolts started to break out in Jylland and across Ireland, and to top it off a few months later the French declared war, and a few months after that so did Burgundy. Furthermore only Spain remained loyal to the alliance. It looked like the end was near. Storm clouds raged over Welsh fortunes.

theend.jpg

The End?

No!

The revolts were both in provinces were troops had been stationed and were quickly put down and all troops were sent into Norhern France, except for the garrison in Jylland. After land tech 8 & 9 were found in quick succession and the researchers came to Sion and said "Mozel Tov" guns are a go, that all money was put into trying to improve stability. While the Spanish beat back the French in the South, and Portugal rejoined the alliance and blockaded French prts, Wales troops in 4 groups of 15,000 surged over the land. They cleverly avoided the massive French armies, which all went into Welsh lands and, lacking food, many died in the mild winters. The Ile-de-France fell and Paris sacked, and the Dragons moved into Oreleans while the lands of Brittiany and Mainz were attacked. The French counterattacked and left Welsh lands after having only taken Normandie. The battles were brutal and bloody affair, and, of the 4, each side won 2. The defeated Welsh armies regrouped and took back Normandie while the victorious ones moved in Southern France and started looting and led the French in a wild goose chase around and around. Meanwhile the Welsh started offering peace for parts of Brittiany and some gold, which the French refused. However after the last French army in the North failed in it's assault of Caux the French offered all of Brittiany to Wales, which Sion gracefully accepted. This annoyed the Spanish, but the alliance held, and the Spanish continued the war on their own hoping to gain back French lands in Iberia.

And what of Burgundy?

The Burgundians proved how incompetent their high command was in 5 failed attacks on Jylland which the heroic troops there pushed them back time and again. Meanwhile all of Burgundy's troops, outside the ones in Northern Germy, some 65,000 marched on Flanders. This was of course incredibly stupid because Burgundy was still at war with Hesse and Hesse's new German alliance and many Burgundian lands fell to them while Burgundy was loping about in Flanders. They attacked the city head on and though the defenders fought bravely the city fell.

250px-Siege_constantinople_bnf_fr26.jpg

The Fall of Flanders

After this laid seige to Calais and took that too. However after that everything went wrong for Burgundy, for it was around this time that Wales had made peace with France. All the Welsh troops in France grouped in Picarde, which is where they made the last stand against the Burgundians. Some 30,000 Welsh troops, almost everything left, for there was no more money to raise anymore troops, against some 50,000 Burgundians. What a battle, the fate of Wales was at hand.

3197_960x540.jpg

The battle

13428cHkg_w.jpg

The likelyhood of Welsh victory.

And the winner is...

Wales!!!

That' right, the oddsmakers were wrong. Being on the defensive helped Wales greatly, as did the new guns. Following this rout of Burgundy, the Welsh followed them to Calais, and routed them again, and then again in Flanders. The Burgundians retreated further into Zeeland, where they ran into Hesse troops and were killed to a man. The Welsh then procedded to take back Flanders and Calais.

parislib2.jpg

Flanders is free!!

Since the Welsh had no interest in Burgundian lands they accepted peace in exchange for the entire contents of the Burgundian treasury, 87 ducats. With peace at hand, and stability finally returned to normal, things were looking up for the Welsh once more. Who know what great things were on the horizion?

1538.jpg

The Greater Welsh Empire in 1538

Whoa, what a game.

That was a very productive turn. As for the French, they do tend to have more manpower, or at least high manpower provinces. That's not always easy to get around. However, their rate of rebuild is probably not as fast as yours. Several quick wars in succession should probably do the trick with them.

I agree, though I would like a CB if possible. It either takes a long time to regain stability, or I have to pour all my monthly income into it, neither of which I like. Of course as soon as my armies are strong again I'll probably attack anyways, because I never have much time for just waiting around for the best moment in this game. Sometimes this backfires horribly for me, but so far in this game it's been pretty successful. My BB is around 25-28 though as I recall, so I'm hoping it will be the French who declare war so I can get less BB points for taking provinces from them.

I'm going to admit something now. Back in 1522ish I loaded up the game as the French just because I was curious about how they could support their massive armies. The answer, they can't. The French are losing over 100 gold a month in support costs for their army, or at least they should be. They ought to be in a spiraling bankruptcy and taking loans doom, and inflation should be soaring for them, but it's not. It is rather annoying that the France are cheating on their support costs, and it is for that reason that I will destroy them.

My biggest problem is my overwhelming expensive troops, it's 24 gold per 1000 cavalry right now and it's hard to rebuild forces at those prices. And this is the first time that I've had to totally rebuild; I'm only at around half strength right now. In previous wars (except the early British ones) I always have had troops in reserve for emergenices. Not right now. If any revolts pop up I'm in serious trouble, I've got no troops in the Isles proper.

I think I'll be fine however, and I'll find out when I play a bit more tonight. The next update might be up tonight as well, if not then it probably won't be up until sunday.

I read somewhere, although I have not tested it myself, that you can't go broke on support costs. I don't know all the odds and ends of it, though. So the French might not exactly be cheating. Uhhh what did I say? Of course they are cheating, and you should punish them :D.

Well the AI always cheats on support limit. How many times have you seen tiny little Cologne or someone build up 50,000 in their one little province? It's supposed to level the playing field between human and AI, but many times it just ends up being a pain in the ass.

As for the CB on France - do they still have a CoT in Paris? Flood it as much as you can when you need a CB. They might just well help you out. They are no Venice (who will embarge if you even so much as sneeze near their CoT) but it's worth a shot to save on some stab.

I know the AI cheats to level the playing field, it does so in every type of strategy game I've ever played, but it's still annoying. And, coz1, that's a good idea, I'd totally forgotten about that fact. The only problem is that it takes 9gold/merchant to send to France. I'm assuming to because my capital isn't land connected. However I'll still probably try it next time, but not in this update. As you'll see I basically said, "screw stability, I want lotsa revolts" but alls well that ends well.

Chapter IX
"One, two, three, four! We don't want your &*% pope!"

After the last war against the French, the less then great King Sion decided he wanted a new war against them. Once the army was returned to full strength, he REALLY wanted a new war against them. When in 1542 news came that the research grants were finally paying off and that "Land Tech 10" had been reached, this seemed like a perfect time to declare war. However the unfortunate news came that France was at "11" and furthermore nationalist revolts broke out in Brittiany that had to be surpressed, so peace was maintained for a few years more. This was very depressing to the good people of Lancashire, so to occupy themselves they decided to convert to being Protestantism. And once more came the question of should the country offically convert, but Sion continued his policy of that so long as no Celtic provinces converted, the country wouldn't either. It was assumed that this must've been partically inspiring to the Naval forces, who reached "Naval Tech 5" a little later. This greatly surprised Sion who didn't even know there was such a thing as Naval research, certianly the royal budget hadn't included it in over 100 years. As far as the Welsh were concerned, they had sails, they had rutters, and they had a lota wood, what else was to be known about a ship?

Since it was now the mid 1540s and things were getting rather boring, King Sion decided to re-establish his grandsire's Royal Astronomy Club, which celebrated it's first metor sighting on it's opening day. Naturally they celebrated this event, and a second sighting a little while later. However to Sion's dismay the commoners weren't as pleased, and there were several "anti-metor" lobbyists who showed up in Cardiff, who were promently sent away with a strong talking to. So they revolted, and the Welsh had to put down these revolts, which further delayed any war plans. This greatly upset the Celts, who considered themselves the heart of the country, but nothing came of that.

Finally in 1549 came the big news, "Land Tech 11" was reached, and the Welsh were now on par with the French. Support costs were fully met again, and all was made ready for war, but then something unexpected happened. Wales converted. This came as a great surprise to everyone, including the Welsh. However if the Welsh didn't want to be catholic, then by god none of their lands would be either... or so Sion declared. So on March 22, 1549 the Greater Welsh Empire offically switched religions and joined the likes of Sweden, Hesse, Bohemia, Strassburg, & Switzerland.

Sion: Well, that's that. Let's go declare war.

Advisor: Sire, I'm afraid that's a bad idea.

Sion: What? War is never a bad idea, espiecally when it's against the French.

Advisor: Well, yes. But remember that little incident last week?

Sion: You mean defying the pope and doctrines more then 1000 years old?

Advisor: That's the one.

Sion: What about?

Advisor: Well, while this might've made Cardiff and the southern lands of the Isles, it's made the Scottish, the Irish, and our French provinces very upset.

Sion: Crybabies.

Advisor: Maybe so. And yet due to them we have no stability. None. A reasonably trained chicken could probably spark a revolt in one of our lands.

Sion: Well pour all our money into improving stability, and as soon as possible declare war..

---A year later----

Sion: That took a long time.

Advisor: Well it's rather expansive with lands as large as ours, and as money cultures as we have. French, English, Norse, and of course us Celts. In fact if it's wasn't for the fact that we had left over money from the last time we had to improve stability this could've taken more then twice as long.

Sion: But we're stable now?

Advisor: Not quite. But instead of being on the edge of civil war, now everyone just hates our guts with a passion.

Sion: We can declare war though, right?

Advisor: Technically, but-

Sion: That's all I needed to hear.

So in March, 1550 war was declared. It was a quick affair too. For some reason the French had almost no men under arms, and the Welsh made quick work of them taking land after land, province after a province. In fact a bigger threat then the French was the rebels that emerged in Brittiany who took 2 of the 3 provinces. Troops were dispatched from Wessex, and they began to take them back, after defeating the rebels there, but this was slower work then the war. After a while the Dragons doubled back and took Paris. Following this came a grand offer from France, offering 3 provinces for peace. Including one that wasn't even connected to Welsh lands, and was landlocked. But it did mean one less province to take next time, and with more revolts breaking out, Sion accepted the peace. With all troops freed up, all rebels were destroyed withen 6 months.

1553.jpg

Greater Welsh Empire 1553

Time to sit back and regain stability. Also I do know that in about 30 years I get an event that gives me 2 explorers, woot!