• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't have "targets" per se. There are things I would want to achieve, interesting provinces, and medium or long term threats I want to weaken, but I rarely plan to make war with much time in advance. Especially with a trade-oriented nation, I stay opportunistic. Right now, I wish to stay the foremost naval power in the Baltic, to have more holdings on the coast, and to keep my center of trade at level 12/13 through my league and trade agreements, I would like to own Danzig, Bremen and the rest of Jutland, and I fear Bohemia and Lithuania right now, and whoever won the last war in Russia on the long run. Well, it's not quite "right now", because I've played a few more hours today. Only started to write, and I don't know if I'll be able to finish it tomorrow, as I have math to study.

As for my security, indeed, I'm doing well. There are a lot of minors between me and almost everybody, so only the Emperor can reach my capital by land. As for the sea, I have easily the best navy in the Baltic, and only England, Castille and maybe Portugal rival me in the known world (elsewhere, Ming and Japan). England sometimes becomes involved in Northern affairs, so it is a danger, but I cannot realistically expect to have a larger navy than theirs within a century because of force limits. As long as my wars are along the Baltic coast, I can't lose, especially with Gotland to retreat to.

very interesting so far, I too like the detailed style.

I may try a trade league nation for my next game, it looks like a different challenge.

Also a trade league map would be cool to see.

The last update ended in 1629. I had Holland as a vassal, the largest fleet in the Baltic, and secured the liberation of Finland. However, my land army was not enough to enable me to threaten larger land powers, such as Bohemia or Lithuania, with only a little more than 15 thousand men. It would have to be stronger if I wanted to give freedom back to the people of Mazovia. Well, my kind of freedom anyway.

The first years are quite peaceful. I started the building of some new carracks at the end of the previous war, and they are completed. I separate my fleet in two parts, to be joined if needed: my carracks are in Skane, for intervention outside the Baltic, and my galleys are in Gotland, in case something more local happens. It is only for a fast intervention, to have ships closer to the zone where I would need a fleet to block access, namely Alans Hav and Öresund.

Some trade league work too, with Cleves leaving and coming back, and the Palatinate leaving, giving me trade rights, and joining the other leagues to leave them the next day. I also notice there is a war going on between the Teutonic Order and Lithuania. The Order has the somewhat large fleet it retains from its former glory: 18 galleys. This means Danzig is safe, but not the main territory around the capital and the Livonian territory. After some time, enough to create a lot of WE in Lithuania, peace is signed, and the Order loses Memel and Livland.

After many gifts, I finally succeed at getting iron trade rights from Sweden, completing my mission in January 1431. I get... Polish Grain Trade! This means +5 to trade research, and is one of the strongest missions I know of. This mission is finished in September of the same year, and the next mission wants me to bring England back to my league. I cancel it, and I am asked to vassalize Holstein. I won’t complete it, as I plan to annex it as soon as possible, which means when its allies will be less numerous.

While I was accomplishing the mission, the Teutonic Order guarantees Bremen, which is in my influence. Which is quite stupid from a 2PM. I prepare my army for war. Here are the Order’s allies:

warteuton.jpg

As you can see, Lithuania is under heavy rebellions since the Peasant war event hit. All their provinces have a RR above 18%. Smolensk is at 42%, the recent conquests are above 35%. WE is very high. They won’t pose much of a threat. Austria can’t hurt me, and the others only need to be put back into my league.

Before I declare war, though, I get a 3 star treasurer in May 1432, and another in June... What are the odds for that? (I notice I didn’t mention much about advisors so far, but there isn’t much to say about them, they just... happen.)

Lithuania doesn’t join, however. When war starts, the Teutonic fleet is already at sea. The first encounter is short: I sink all their ships but two, who join my own fleet. This is good, as my shipwrights are out of names for ships, and the new ones already have one. The battles in Teutonic provinces are short, and I start sieges. However, in Polish Pomerania, there are wild rebellions going on, with a total of nearly 14k rebels. As I want these provinces, I will have to fight these rebels, but now is not the time, as I have sieges going on, with enough troops to defend their position if anything happens. Therefore, I just attempt to go through it (I first ask military access from Brandenburg), and after I have defeated the army of Meissen, I will put the city to siege, and sign peace (join league) right after. The largest part of my army, however, goes back to Lübeck (through Magdeburg), and from there to Skane, in order to reinforce.

Fun event. Some rebels I drove out of Jylland succeeded at taking Slesvig... and declared independence! So much fun. Poor Holstein... I wish any of those annex the other, as I have a core on Slesvig. Whoever wins will be annexed by me, and I want Holstein’s manpower. After about a year, Holstein will succeed at taking Slesvig back, and promptly ends the war.

Meissen falls after about a year, in April 1434, and peace is signed. By that time, I hold Danzig, but not Ostpreussen (100%, but no breach), which will be mine only in June. I already start to received offers from Austria, in a war with the Emperor, Bavaria, about some random minor I forgot about. This will be an important factor my war’s outcome.

Before continuing with the actual fighting, a few things happened at about that time. First, elections. I choose a diplomat, because of the heavy BB from the annexion. It turns out to be a good choice, with 9 diplomacy, 7 administration, and 6 military! Also, Holstein decided it’d be a great idea to... warn me. Right... Also, up north, Sweden declared war against Norway, and became involved Brittany, England and Aragon. I watched this from time to time, when nothing was going on in my own wars. What in heaven’s name was Aragon doing there? They actually carried out most of the fighting, from what I saw.

After the fall of Meissen, I sent my troops toward Pommerania. I landed those which were in Skane in Hinterpommern, where they were joined by my forces from Meissen and Danzig. I started by attacking the rebels in Vorpommern. They fled to Hinterpommern, where they were joined by some others, which were in Poznan. After a lot of ping pong, they were finally destroyed in summer 1534, and I started sieges, with most of my forces. Some others were sent to Danzig to prevent rebellions. Hinterpommern will fall in March 1435, Poznan in August, Vorpommern in November. I sign peace with Poland on very amicable terms: they give me 75 ducats, and join my trade league. Only Austria, the alliance leader, is still at war.

As I mentioned, the Hapsburgs were at war with Bavaria. It wasn’t going well. About half of their territory was already occupied, and their army was destroyed completely, only 4k men, against 50k. As there was little risk, I decided it would be fun to get something out of the war, so I sent one of my armies to Austria. They have some money, and maybe they would join my league, too. This last option is not a priority, as I have little chance to keep them friendly after the truce. After gaining a few military accesses, I get to Austria. This is the situation when my troops are in position:

mapaustria.jpg

Poor, poor Austria. As it was of little importance, and only to convince Austria they had some more money, I didn’t really put much of my attention on the sieges, and I don’t have the dates. I was in Salzburg, Kärntern and Görz only. Also, there was another revolt in Jylland, which was quickly silenced. Finally, in March 1437:

peaceaustria.jpg

During the war, the Palatinate started a CoT in Worms. I attempt to starve it with trade rights to neighbouring countries, and it is reduced below 100 ducats. I also had a Boundary dispute event on Warmia, thanks to my high diplomacy leader. However, this doesn’t mean a CB on Mazovia: it was diplo-annexed by mighty Bohemia. In addition, I signed an alliance with Brandenburg, which could distract Bohemia if war should strike me. After the peace was signed, I was warned by Bohemia, and my leader died, replaced by a 3-9-6 diplomat. Not great, but fine.

Now, I have no ongoing war, nor do I have serious matters to take care of. Time for a situation assessment:

- Novgorod is a rival trade republic which embargos me. I do not wish to steal territory from them, but if Finland did so, I would be glad. If I won a war, I would be able to trade there.
- Bohemia holds one of my new cores. They have 35 regiments, but I would have Brandenburg, with a 10k army, at my side, ready to fight.
- Poland will eventually break off my trade league, which would get me a CB. I could jump in and take Pommerania. However, this would put me at war with Bohemia.
- Slesvig is a core of my, so I would have an easy shot at annexion on Holstein. However, it is guaranteed by almost everybody. Look at this:

alliesholstein.jpg

Ugly. Members. Holstein is in my influence, however, so it should dissuade further guarantees.
- Lithuania has several provinces on the Baltic coast, some of which (especially Riga) are of some interest. They have RR problems because of the Peasant war. However, no CB expectable.

I place one larger army in Ostpreussen for action in the Baltic, and a smaller one in Lübeck. My transport fleet is in Danzig.

In October, I have enough placed merchants and money to use the Lübeck Krantor decisions, which then puts me at 50% TE, enough for the Statute of Monopolies. Soon afterward, Bavaria and Austria sign peace: Salzburg, Styria, Tyrol and Aquileia (well, supposedly, it only has one province) are released. This raises the Bavarian authority, and a vote is made for the Reichsregiment. I vote against (I want diplomats!), but it still passes. This reminds me that I should act against the Emperor, not with him, or else I’ll become a vassal someday... At least, with the upcoming Reformation, the Emperor will probably declare war every 5 years, so that shouldn’t hurt. I really don’t want to leave the Empire because of the many boni, but a few more reforms could make me change my decision. Also, Bavaria as Emperor means it can’t really weaken Bohemia, which is my most threatening opponent.

As Bohemia is now within my scope, I decide a larger army will be necessary. The fleet building program was very successful, and I have uncontested control over the Baltic, but when war goes inland, it becomes more difficult. My force limit is at 22 regiments, and I have 17. I might go over my limit after the build up.

I had forgotten completely about my national focus. It was changed to Sjaelland, and I enacted land reforms in Copenhagen and Skane. Then, while I was thinking about my next target, this happened:

corebremen.jpg

That’s nice. Gotta love diplomacy.

But that will be later. I have a permanent casus belli on Bremen, but... Muscovy declared a war of Reconquest on Smolensk, with its ally, Finland. Novgorod and Lithuania intervene. When Novogrod will be occupied enough by its fight against Moscow, I will strike, occupy what I can, and ask for some free money. Easy, it’s like a hold up, without cops. I declare war on Smolensk, which should prompt Novgorod to declare war on me. This is the initial situation:

warcapacitynov.jpg

Poor Novgorod. And Lithuania didn’t join, either. I land a first army in Ingermanland, and send most of it to Novgorod. After only a few days, Novgorod signs peace with Muscowy, but Finland has already lost Karelia. I see a 19k stack coming to Novgorod, but I can’t escape in time. However, my 9000 soldiers escape with little loss, and when the pursuit reaches them in Ingermanland, the rest of my army has arrived. My victory is overwhelming, and they lose over 6000 men, probably in large part due my high quality and their high quantity, and after short battles in Neva and Kexholm, the opponent is annihilated. I start several sieges, basically every province from the Baltic to Beloozero, with the Dutch in Arkhangelsk. As there are many, and it is not of much interest, I won’t go into the details of each siege, though that of Neva was particularly long.

After a year, when I’m starting to occupy provinces, this hits:

excommunicationbylit.jpg

Meh. I start sending a few gifts to smaller league members with low disposition, like Mainz or some others. Lithuania breaks my trade rights treaty for grain, and signs one with Genoa... Otherwise, very few leaks.

Soon, I control most of Novgorod. I sign peace, with a very peculiar demand...

peacenovgorod.jpg

Well, why not, eh?

However, within days, while I haven’t even loaded my troops to go back to my lands, this strikes (October 16, 1442):

mecklenburgcall.jpg

And this (October 27, 1442):

bohemiadow.jpg

This is most unwanted. Sweden doesn’t respond to its call by Poland, but it doesn’t either respect its guarantee on me: it is still at war with Aragon... I set minting to 0.11, but I have a level 4 master of the mint, which means I only get 0.3 yearly. Poland starts a siege in Danzig, Bohemia does the same in Ostpreussen. The latter regularly assault, which is risky for them, but could cost me a lot. Quickly, my allies against Poland take Poznan and Vorpommern, and are busy with Hinterpommern, which means I won’t be able to ask for them. My troops are parked in Gotland to reinforce. I was quite lucky when I landed them on the mainland. After I felt I was ready to send troops in Ostpreussen, which had only 56 defenders left, I loaded them on cogs, which reached the province on October 31, the day before the Bohemian would have gained morale or attempted a new assault. Victory is easily achieved, with decent losses on their part.

The pursuit is even more successful: I lose only 300 men, while they lose 2000. I let a small siege force to take Warsaw, the rest follows the enemy to Warmia, and then back to Mazovia. After, the enemy splits between Sieradz (a small force only) and Sandomierz (the main army). Obviously, only 3 or 4 regiments go to Sieradz, without a leader. However, after victory is achieved in both places, I see a larger stack coming from Breslau to Sieradz. As what once was the enemy’s main army is now 200 strong (but ten regiments!), and is fleeing to Ratibor, I assign three units to follow, while most of my army goes to rescue the troops in Sieradz, where I wait. The battle is fierce, and both generals are talented, but my numerical advantage (14k vs 11k) tips the balance in my favour, and I take down 4500 men. I pursue them in Breslau, but only get a marginal victory, and the enemies flee to Neumark, which is besieged by a larger, intact enemy force. I wait in Breslau for now, while my troops in Ratibor are trying to take Praha.

In Breslau, I have maybe 14-15 regiments, but only 9500 men. Many regiments have less than 200. I send the most shattered to Danzig, and from there, they will go to Gotland. Apparently, Bohemia noticed, because it sent its army in Neumark to Breslau. I attempt to flee, but I don’t have enough time. The battle, however, is not a total disaster, with the losses equal and moderate on both sides, but I ultimately lose and retreat in Brandenburgian territory, from where I reach Lübeck, and eventually, some regiments go to Gotland. The army in Bohemia also retreats to Danzig.

My manpower is low, but at least, my army is in a good shape, above 50%. I count on my sieges to get a better warscore, increased by Brandenburg’s success, and maybe at least Mazovia. After only a short war so far, WE is already a bit high on both sides, but more so on for them (5.66). Mazovia falls in February 1444, but soon, a large stack appears to start a siege. I don’t want to lose it, so I assemble an army in Danzig and attack them. It is a Pyrrhic victory: the siege ends, but I lose twice as many men as they do. I pursue them in Sieradz, with more convincing results, but after some ping ponging, I am not able to completely destroy them when a large army appears, and I send my troops to Danzig and Gotland, with some trying to take Warmia and Plock. Finally, the large army just sat there.

In April, I get my first white peace offer. It is a good sign, though they won’t take my offers. However, I have only 12k men, while they have twice as much, and I also have manpower problems. Also, after some phony warring on my side, Brandenburg signs a very harsh peace in October, giving away over 300 ducats. Soon after, I see a large stack coming for Plock. Even with the help of my army in Danzig, I lose, but no pursuit to Warmia happens. I send most of my army to Gotland, and Bohemia starts sieges in Danzig and Mazovia. They try some assaults in Danzig, without much success. As no general is there, in June 1445, I attack them, but even though I took down many of my opponents with me, I lost. It was enough to stop the siege, however. In November, an assault on Danzig succeeds, but I try myself with Mazovia: the results are disastrous for my army, but ultimately, they lift the siege. In January, with my WE at 9, and theirs at 13, I accept a white peace.

A CoT is founded in Lothringen. It should stagnate. Münster breaks my sphere of influence. I had planned an attack on them before, when they left my league, but the organisation was slow, and I ultimately lost the CB. This would be a great opportunity to straighten things up. Until...

finlandcall0.jpg

Yes, again! End of the session.

On the map, there were some changes, though less than usual. Obviously, Austria is not a threat anymore for Bohemia, after its defeat against the Emperor. Burgundy had to let Bar go after a war with England, but got Nevers back. In its war with Norway, Sweden stole several colonies. Also, Bavaria annex Wurttemberg, in two steps. England claims the throne of Milan, which could lead to war with Bohemia. A political map:

january1448.jpg

And, as resquested, trade map:

tradejanuary1448.jpg

I also have some trade rights in the Med, including Cyprus. Since the excommunication, I have had troubles with people leaving, especially Lithuania. I don’t really know what I can do to get those valuable trade rights back within the next few decades, as vassalization is unlikely. Bohemia is also a very large wound.

Long update, several hours of play, four pages of notes, and nearly 50 screenshots (not all used, obviously). All action, no strategic discussion: a real blockbuster update! Which explains the time it took to post it.

Last edited:
Vassalization would imply taking many provinces, which I don't want to do. They have low base tax and manpower, so it's basically dead weight for my tech research, and apart from Finland, they would be easy targets for future wars. I will burn their colonies, however, and hope Norway jumps on them. I might also release their cores on Finnish territory, Skane and Jämatland to contain their hegemonic ambitions. It's a start, but it will always be a danger in my backyard I think.

As for an alliance, I already have to many. I don,t want to lose disposition with Brandenburg or Finland, but I might ditch Magdeburg, or hope they won't answer a call. Also, that means 30 ducats gifts, and though money is not as tight as it once was (in a large part because of my victory on Austria), I don't have many cores right now, so my yearly revenue is low. When all of Denmark will be cores, it will be better. Still 5 years for Skane.

Besides, with my expansion, Sweden is easy right now. I won't get the WS from Finland, but I could probably take Stockholm with only a significant task force and a general. Forgot to mention it, even though I had it in my notes, but I recruited a general with 4 shock and 5 manoeuvre, in addition to my (excommunicated) leader, with 4 shock and 3 manoeuvre I think. I will probably assign the recruited one to the North with 9-10 regiments, to counter attrition in the burned colonies, while the rest will take Stockholm and Southern Sweden. With the upcoming elections, I'll choose a diplomat, and hope he also likes some Swedish skull bashing.

Last edited:
Great update, and good luck with your war. :)

So… After the last update, I had become involved in a very unwanted war with Sweden over Finland, just as I was loading my troops for an expedition against a few German minors (with a DoW on Münster, I would be at war alsi with Gelre, Trier and Cleves). Sweden has only 16k troops to fight my allies and my own 18k, but I lack manpower (only 550 new soldiers per month), and many regiments are not full (I have 22), especially in my Baltic army at Ostpreussen. However, I have 11 full regiments in Hamburg, which were to attack Gelre. The war with Sweden mostly prevents me to really put all my energy in the war in Germany.

I see Sweden as a very low intensity conflict. I have no interest in taking their territory, I would be perfectly happy if I could only weaken them, maybe for Finland’s profit. I will want to burn their colonies, so someone else might take them. My possible war with the minors, however, would be very advantageous: I would keep control over league members, and I plan to vassalize Münster and Trier, which would both give me a decent income boost (especially since this is Very Hard, so they collect 50% more tax than I do). I don’t really care about their fighting capacity, as they would be mostly enemy free warscore and an annoying distraction in the worst case and a very slight good if things turn out better, and they don’t have the advantage of a navy like Holland. I decide to go with both wars: my army in Lübeck, the Hanseatic Guard, will fight in Western Germany, while my Baltic Army will take care of Sweden the moment it will be in better shape. Wenzel Gevert, the general with 4 shock and 5 manoeuvre I had recruited earlier, is first assigned to the Hanseatic Guard, but I will send him to Sweden when possible so he can help with the Scandinavian winters, and he will be replaced by my leader, Albert Dreyer, in Germany.

None of the allies of Sweden answer their call, and Brandenburg doesn’t answer mine, but soon, I will get an offer from Muscowy, which is accepted. My landing in Gelre is a great success, and I destroy the entire enemy force. I leave one regiment to start the siege, and continue with quick victories in Osnabrück and Münster, this time not associated with peace, both with similarly small siege forces. Then it’s an easy victory against Cleves, I go through Hesse (I had military access since the early game), change my general, and attack the more capable army of Trier, which is destroyed after a few battles. With no more enemy armies to fear, I send more troops to the other sieges, and I wait. I gained nearly ten army tradition from these few battles. The field campaign ends June 30, 1448, after 6 months. Also, Utrecht, which starts with a core on Gelre, declared war on them. Funny. Friesland intervened.

In the meantime, there was some action against Sweden. They had built a new carrack fleet since the last war, and I had fought their 10 with the same number, plus 17 galleys. No ship sank on any side, but they fled in Halland. I sent all my ships to repair, apart from 4 galleys, which block Alands Hav. They sent a medium stack to Skane.

The end of the German campaign coincided with the moment when my Baltic army regained its full strength. Therefore, I send my army (with Gevert) to lift the siege of Skane, by landing in Smaland and walking, to avoid the landing penalty. It is a great success, with 5000 deaths on the other side. I follow them in Halland, and then Smaland. After this last battle, the 8 regiments only have 142 men, so I only send a small group to destroy them in Halland, while Gevert goes for Stockholm. After the annihilation of the enemy in Halland, the three regiments I had there are sent to the Swedish colonies. I will burn Österbotten in November 1448, take Kola (which was now a city, but without a fort) in January 1449, and finally destroy Lappland in March. Gevert is leading a decent stack in Stockholm, the three regiments assigned to the colonies are in Västerbotten, and I have 1-1 in Hälsingland. During that period, Finland took the province of... Finland... This made the transport fleet stationed there leave, but my galleys couldn’t destroy them. I sent a few more in order for the next encounter to be more favourable.

After the destruction of the army that was in Skane, Sweden started rebuilding. In May, a small 2k stack attacks Hälsingland, and I have to send Gevert with 3k men to rout them, with one cavalry regiment from Västerbotten for long term protection. They also started another siege in Skane, which was going well for them. After a short pursuit of the 1-1 stack that attacked me, I send Gevert to lift it. He then lets a small force for the siege of Halland (which would force their fleet out, and allow me to destroy it), and goes back to Stockholm with one cavalry regiment. In October, Sweden ends the siege of Tavastland, and attempts to take back Finland. I decide to help Finland by lending them Gevert and his good shock modifier, with 3k horsemen, but a weak Finnish general ends up leading, and the battle is a disaster. I take Västerbotten during the battle, and send the troops there to Stockholm. Not much action for a while, apart from a skirmish in Hälsingland that led to the end of the siege.

However, in Germany, war had ended. In the right order, Gelre, Cleves, Trier and Münster were defeated.

peacegelre.jpg

peacecleves.jpg

peacetrier.jpg

peacemuenster.jpg

I send all my army in Germany to push back the Swedish siege in Finland. I also had an election. I selected a Bureaucrat, but he turned out to be very weak, with Adm to 5, the rest, 3. At least, no excommunication... He is made into a leader, but is a very poor one for any purpose.

Once my army arrives in Nyland, I send it on the Swedish army, but it loses with heavy losses. I decide to send the help of Gevert. On May 17, 1450, some good news: Halland falls, and I sink 2 carracks in the Öresund. Some enemies (without leadership) surround my position there, in Västergotland and Skane. They are promptly destroyed. I take Stockholm in July, and my full fleet destroys what remained of theirs, and captures the Treilus. A few days later, the siege of Finland is lifted by Gevert, though with heavy casualties. My objectives are achieved...

peacesweden0.jpg

Denmark is a OPM, with only Halland, but it is one less province for Sweden. It is the third incarnation of Denmark in this game, and not twice as the capital been the same.

Normally, I wait for the end of the report to talk about international events not directly concerning me, but this is just too horrible...

castilleinheritsfrance.jpg

I felt like Luke Skywalker in TESB. Three things can happen: it can make Spain (because I doubt Castille+France will have much of a problem with Aragon, even with its Mediterranean possessions) the worldwide superpower; it can make England take France and become the worldwide superpower, as it is less important inside Castille than it was when it was independent; for the same reasons, it can make Burgundy the European superpower. This is bad. Maybe it will weaken everyone from continuous fighting, and give me a chance at sneaking into a few Caribbean islands or South Africa, but I don’t count on it.

In December 1450, I completed Government 9. I could have researched it earlier, but I was slow to change to full Government research: it is a period with steady, though not dramatic, increase in shock modifiers, and I gave a bit too much focus to Trade. My income changed a lot, too. I could have ended Gov 9 on January 1st with better planning, or even before the early penalty is lifted, as ideas are more valuable than a few investment ducats. I should print the complete list of average tech dates, I had it at some point, but it’s apparently... somewhere, the same somewhere as my cell phone probably. Actually, I just did.

First, there is generally no interest in researching several fields at once, or even mixing Stability with research. If every investment goes to one tech, it will be discovered earlier, and then you can use that bonus to better reach the other tech. Especially obvious with Stability, Production (especially Production 9), Trade, and the Government levels that give new NI, but being stronger in a war can have economic effects, as you need less troops, or less maintenance. But one thing is sure: unless there is nothing better to do, there is no interest in researching techs that don’t give anything, like many Gov levels that give either nothing, or some random bad government type.

Also, never trust those who say that games are not played with a calculator. At least a few basic calculations are necessary for research strategy in EU3. The early research penalty only changes the amount necessary to complete research, not the investments themselves, so basically there is no penalty for researching too early, just for finishing too early. And that’s when I break the rule I stated earlier: when fully investing anywhere would make me pay too much for techs, I spend everything approximately equally, until, with the help of my calculator, I can determine that full investment would make me finish shortly after the right date. The trick is to time

Another important thing is not to research everything fully most of the time. In this game, I don’t really care about Production (except level 9), so I didn’t research it, except when I was going to be early for other techs. This way, I have a high neighbour bonus, and +15 bonus is like a free level 5 advisor. My investments in Production would probably have given me maybe one level at this point, but I was only behind Holland by two. It is another reason not to frenetically research uninteresting Government tech levels, as other people will discover them (Gov is THE priority of the AI, even in a game with none other than Holland, I had trouble following early on), and thus grant you a neighbour bonus, which will greatly help when catching up for the National Idea-granting levels.

In this game, I have a mix between a naval and a ground power to control and my income is derived from international trade. Therefore, I need to lead in Trade, Land and Naval, in that order. Obviously, I need the useful Government techs for NI, but being a bit behind will give me a neighbour bonus, which, as stated, is basically free money. I just have to estimate the moment I need to start researching, with my income and the cost of each tech level in mind, and I should have all those juicy ideas at the same moment everybody gets them.

Oh, and basically, this was my introduction to say I chose Military Drill, but I drifted off course... I guess I’ll talk in depth about my national idea strategy at Gov 11... Military Drill because apparently, I spend more time at war that at peace, because early on, it is a major boost, and is more effective for small countries than National Conscripts, and because my opponents (IIRC, Bohemia, Lithuania and Sweden, at least...) already have it, and I have had more difficult results than expected at times. I already am a trading power, so I don’t have a dire need for Shrewd Merchant Practice, but it will eventually be on the list (possibly 11, otherwise 17).

So, I was peacefully rebuilding. I didn’t have much manpower left after the war, and decided to let it grow a bit before attacking Holstein, which was now only allied with Mecklenburg, and guaranteed by Austria and Hesse. Basically, I just have to walk by, and it’s over. But, before I could get full MP...

moscowcall.jpg

Of course. Novgorod is alliance leader, and I obviously am not, so I can’t snatch Lithuanian provinces. I only want to help Finland. The war shouldn’t be too demanding, because apparently, no one seems to want to fight right now.

warcapacitynovlit.jpg

Why Muscowy declared war in the first place seems strange, but anyway. I decide to send one of my armies to Lithuania (with Gevert), and the other is tasked to take Novgorod. I assign Vick, my worthless Statthalter, to the Northern army, which is a low priority. First, I start sieges in Riga, Livland and Kurland with Gevert, with 5k in Riga, 3k in the others, so I can have all my force in the same place quickly. The sieges are very successful, which is not surprising, as Lithuania has high Offensiveness from the start. Then, I send Vick to Ingermanland, and from there, he should go to Novgorod. However, I see an enemy stack (1-8) heading for Olonets, from where it could attack the Finns in Kexholm, so I send Vick to help them with his 8k men (3k are busy with Ingermanland). The battle is a great success, probably because, as you can see, Vick was not leading:

battleofkexholm_december1452.jpg

During the battle, this happened, too:

moscowcall0.jpg

Not much of a concern, as I only need Muscowy as a counter-weight against Lithuania, but if the Horde overwhelms Muscowy, it can also occupy that role effectively (though with less... friendliness). I still will help Moscow, but I won’t do anything that would cause any regiment to be destroyed, and I will not risk attrition in enemy territory. Stopping Muscovite collapse is sufficient for my purpose.

Shortly after, I take Riga. It only took 106 days. However, it made me see something horrible: a 17-3 stack with a +4 shock general heading for newly freed Riga, and a 3-7 stack with a +3 shock general going for Kurland. That can’t be good... I order a retreat in both areas, but I can’t avoid a severe defeat and the loss of 3000 men out of 8000. I send the survivors to Gotland. Lithuania doesn’t care for Livland apparently, though. It was taken on January 31, 1453, after the enemy doomstack went away to do... something important, I guess.

In the meantime, I had an election, and, very surpringly, poor Vick was not elected... I chose a diplomat (3-7-8), which immediately became a general... Erwin Pape von Hannover has +5 shock, and +5 manoeuvre, which will really help. Sadly, I don’t have my useless general in Novgorod anymore, so I assign him to a unit in Gotland, which is sent to Russia.

However, he wasn’t of much help against the rival republic, as Muscowy signs a white peace with Novgorod (after vassalizing Smolensk, because the AI is not always that dumb). I am still at war with Golden Horde, and even though I only have minor objectives, the enemy has about 41 thousand soldiers, and Muscowy is very weak. I don’t even have the time to send my army (one 8k stack with Gevert and a 6k one with Pape) to battle that I see this pop up:

moscowghordepeace.jpg

White peace? That’s great! But... what’s that shield doing down there? Does not sound good...

moscowcall1.jpg

Well of course. Don’t ask me why Lithuania could do so without breaking truce, as it was at war with Moscow only months ago, and, as this screen shows, they haven’t lost any stability:

warcapacitylit.jpg

You’ll also notice they have lost their high war exhaustion, but that probably has to do with the Liberum Veto decision, which is quite a gamble on their part. I didn’t check if they actually took it, though, but I don’t see how they could burn over ten WE in a few months.

I had a similar plan as the last time on the Baltic coastline, namely to start a few sieges (Riga with general, Ösel, Kurland, Estland, Livland). However, I sent more troops there, as those are the provinces I want, and I need sieges. I send Pape there, with the 6k men he already has, and the 7 regiments waiting in Gotland. Meanwhile, Gevert (with a 4-5 army) will help Muscowy defend itself, with the intent of a) stopping Lithuanian expansion, and b) distracting most of the very large (55k) Lithuanian army while I snatch Riga and others. Remember that Riga, Kurland and all the other Baltic HRE provinces will become cores when I get them, as they belong to a non-member country, so I get higher census tax and no BB penalty for them. I also want them to join my league, and maybe release a few countries if possible. The priority is Riga, though. A base tax 7 free core is always good news.

My first action of the war is the battle of Vyazma, the capital of Smolensk (as Smolensk itself is in Lithuania). I have much less troops than they did, but Gevert, being a good general, inflicts twice as much losses on their side, and wins. It is followed by a pursuit in Bryansk, but I have to order a retreat into Vyazma because of bad terrain. There, I meet a decent Russian force, which soon goes to fight a small stack in Tula. I react slowly, and eventually help them, but what once was a small enemy corps is now a large stack. Large here means 18k. I leave for Moscow itself, after inflicting a good amount of WE on Lithuania. I am still doomed in my ally’s capital, though, as the large stack follows me. I break the line as soon as possible, before the Russians that also followed me does, and go to Vladimir while they move for Tver, to be destroyed. My weakened army, now only 2200 soldiers strong for 9 regiments, goes into Novgorod (I have a truce!), and from there to Polotsk. Happily, I have enough MP to cure this wound. Polotsk is not one of my provinces, but it provides me with 100% recovery, and is located next to Vilna, so I can opportunistically start a siege from there, or be in position to help other troops attempting the same thing, while quickly reinforcing.

The Russian campaign was not much of a success (though I got 8% tradition from it), but after its end in December 1453, I start to see results in the Baltic sieges. Riga falls on Christmas Eve, and I send Pape to take care of a few Lithuanian cavalry regiments laying siege in Ostpreussen, destroying on his way an infantry regiment in Samogitia. A few unilateral skirmishes follow. Kurland falls in February, Estland and Ösel, in March, and I start sieges in Memel and Wenden. Nothing important happens for a while.

In June, some action once again. There is a Brandenburgian stack in Danzig, and I send Pape to destroy it. During his absence, some Lithuanians come for Ostpreussen, and are sent back to Samogitia, with the help of my siege force in Memel. Pape starts the siege of Trakai. I see a small stack (o-2) in Vilna, and decide to annihilate it with Gevert and my troops in Wenden. It doesn’t work as planned, but I don’t suffer much attrition somehow, so I start a siege of the enemy capital anyway. Soon after, I see (with the help of Russia, probably, as it doesn’t border any of my own troops) a 13-7 stack in Mogilyov heading West, and I monitor it. From Minsk, it goes for Trakai, so I send Pape back to Memel; the stack then goes for Memel (and I escape in Ostpreussen), and then, Ostpreussen (I send Pape on my transports). Then, the enemy’s main army seems to go toward Vilna, and I send Pape to help (since they have goldfish-like memories and don’t remember he was #1 target right before, but anyway). On his way, he destroys 2 regiments, and reaches the battlefield in time to have an effect, but, ultimately, even with a nearly equal loss ratio (and, at the beginning, advantageous), I can’t win, and I leave for Polotsk on September 5, 1454, losing 5 prestige and gaining 2.50 exhaustion. My exhaustion was quite high, and my manpower reserves were too depleted to reinforce my army enough for an expectable victory, so...

peacelithuania.jpg

During the several consecutive wars, Gelre left my league after the end of our truce. Probably the case with Cleves too, but I haven’t any notes to that effect (and the screenshot I took at the end of the session is not of much help, for reasons that will become apparent). And anyway, Cleves is not a very interesting vassal, or even league member. I decided to go to war with Gelre to at least force it back into my league, and, possibly, make it a vassal in 5 years (it has a good base tax, after all). I still have some BB to burn, so now is not the time... yet.

wargelre.jpg

The landing in Gelre and the battles against Cologne and Brunswick were easy victories, even for my weary army (9k in 13 regiments). I set siege forces everywhere but in Köln, as Hesse used the occasion to declare war on the archbishop for the Reconquest of Westfalen, and had already started a siege. I take Brunswick in June, Gelre falls in September, but I can’t take Westfalen because it was given to Hesse in a peace settlement, so I go for Köln before the garrison is back full, and assault. These are the peace treaties:

peacebrunswick.jpg

peacegelre0.jpg

peacecologne.jpg

Brunswick still has its alliance with Gelre, so I only have to declare war on one to get both. I also had to kill a few rebels with Gevert’s army in Denmark because of my high exhaustion from the last wars in Lithuania, if that interests someone... I succeeded at making a full sentence with two words in my notes (Denmark: Rebels), which is always fun. As far as I can remember, I mentioned every rebellion I have had so far, so this won’t be the exception. When I convert to Reformed (or Protestant, we’ll see), after I get into Religious Turmoil, I probably will forget all of them, and won’t mention that “A wild PEASANT appeared!” in Gotland... Time to prepare for Holstein, so I have to regain MP, reinforce (my army is at two thirds of its capacity), and let BB go away. I built a new cog to in order to have more asymmetric transport-capable armies, and one or two more warships... I also hired a diplomat by spamming the Festival cultural decision, hoping it would be a level 2 advisor... Which it obviously wasn’t. Too bad. As I said, I won’t waste money for the other decisions, and I don’t need magistrates right now, so it was basically free. I won’t do this in Divine Wind obviously, I don’t know about you, but I like a new workshop more than +5% cultural tradition... Unless I really don’t know how to spend a magistrate, which probably won’t happen that often.

I was well on my way to full manpower, but then Novgorod decided that checking alliances was too difficult, and decided to wage war against Finland, forgetting that it would be protected by Sweden, Norway, and me. Stupid AI. As you might have guess, I don’t give squat about this completely counter-productive war that will serve little other purpose than to waste some time burning off badboy... Getting some compensations would be fun... What a strong, powerful, patriotically binding objective for my passionate soldiers to fight about! I didn’t even send my two armies there, only Pape, with 6-7.

I won’t go much into the details, as I still have a lot to write about, and only a few lines of notes for this war, but basically... I crushed Novgorod’s army at several occasions, leading to their having none at all in September 1458, which allowed me to leave only 6 regiments for the siege of Novgorod, and send the rest to Denmark, in preparation of the war for Holstein. Then I let my allies occupy a few provinces, including Neva, where the enemy fleet was stationed, which allowed me to capture one galley. To give you an aperçu of the margin by which I won, I have these, in chronological order:

battleofneva_april1458.jpg

battleofnovgorod_june1458.jpg

battleofingermanland_july1458.jpg

In June 1459, the garrison of Novgorod surrenders, and I sign this very harsh peace settlement:

peacenovgorod0.jpg

Concede defeat? No one gets back up from that! (Actually, they technically don’t seem to have recovered from their forced conversion decades ago, but anyway...) I let some time go to get full manpower (you never know...), and I attack Holstein.

warholstein0.jpg

My plan is to send Pape, with the Army of the Baltic, on Slesvig, destroying the enemy there, while Gevert attacks Mecklenburg. 5k soldiers will go to Holstein and start a siege. After, some soldiers from the Army of the Baltic will attack Brunswick, now an OPM because of a war with Hesse. Easy. Obviously, as always, Sweden decided that originality was unimportant, and declared war on Finland within days. Its allies joined. Those allies are Bohemia, and Pommerania, which was freed a few years ago from Poland after some obviously horrible decision to attack a HRE member... Great idea, Poland. That’ll help you to take your cores back from Bohemia, clearly, no question there. Bohemia is a dangerous foe, but taking Vorpommern from Pommerania would be good, if practical from a BB point of view (it’s in the Empire, and I don’t have a core). Also, Sweden should join my league, and maybe Bohemia, too.

For my sieges, I leave 1-1 in Meclenburg and Holstein, and 1-2 in Slesvig. Pape (2-5) will attack Stockholm, Gevert will take care of Brunswick with 2-3, and then go help the 1-2 force in Vorpommern. However, before Pape could achieve this objective, he dies, and is replaced by a less militaristic diplomat (3-7-4). I hire a general, which probably is some kind of relative of Wenzel Gevert: he is named Niklas Gevert, and is better than is brother/cousin/father/whatever, with shock +6 and and manoeuvre +4.

The war with Pommerania and Bohemia starts with bad news: Danzig is taken on March 24, 1460, by Pommerania through assault, though most of the infantry was Bohemian, and Ostpreussen is under siege. However, I myself take Slesvig in a record 80 days on April 15. My army there leaves for Lübeck, where I assign it to Niklas Gevert, and then goes to Mecklenburg, to defend against a very obvious move from Pommerania on the besieged province. As predicted, the counter-attack happens, and I am victor, easily, even though I was outnumbered by 2k men. I launch a small attack of my own into Hinterpommern. It starts well, but Bohemia decided to join the battle with 8k men, costing me nearly a thousand avoidable deaths. However, the pursuit is only partial, and easily pushed back. It started a relatively quiet period in the area. During that time, I started sieges in Stockholm and Hälsingland, and ended those of Brunswick, Holstein and Mecklenburg. Obviously Holstein was annexed, giving me a core on it, and the mission to bring Sweden into my league (didn’t I see that one before?). Brunswick had to cancel all its treaties and join my league. As for Mecklenburg:

peacemecklenburg.jpg

Well, I guess there is no need for minting now...

In September, the real counter-attack on Vorpommern started. It was 14 000 men strong, which, against 6 regiments, even before I could have the help of my forces from Brunswick and Mecklenburg. (I lied for simplicity’s sake, the siege ended a few days after Vorpommern... It was true... from a certain point of view.) Happily, I was able to give 3 times more than I received in that battle, and it didn’t hurt my siege (0%), but it still isn’t good for manpower. The next month, I try myself at a quick counter-attack, but it was too early, and I lose many soldiers. I’ll have to wait a bit...

At least, the war up North is going well. I took Hälsingland and Stockholm, and my fleet destroyed theirs completely. I had just researched Naval 9 (well... discovered through my several decision boni, actually, as I’m researching Production 9, because I was slow with it), so I split up my fleet to blockade everything. I started a siege in Bergslagen after an attack on a regiment there. Also, there was a war going on between Norway and Sweden, which included Aragon, England and Brittany. Poor Sweden.

Back to Pommerania. For some reason, I didn’t notice that the Pommeranian fleet was not in Vorpommern, but in Hinterpommern, so my token galley there was attacked by four on the other side. They were destroyed by my 18 others. I started a new, more effective offensive, with better planning: first, I start a siege in Vorpommern, and then, I use an aggressive defence force in Hinterpommern to wait for opponents, and effectively pursue them, instead of simply. Niklas is sent with the more aggressive stack, while Wenzel should help the siege with his siege bonus. This strategy was effective, and here is the proof:

battleofhinterpommern_may1461.jpg

battleofdanzig_june1461.jpg

battleofhinterpommern_august1461.jpg

However, in October, I lost an important battle against Otokar Trutnov, the best Bohemian general with +5 shock, but no pursuit occurred. When it had recovered, Niklas Gevert’s army went back to Hinterpommern, destroying a Pommeranian force there, before Vorpommern fell in December 1461.

I then adopted a more aggressive stance by starting sieges in Hinterpommern and Danzig while also having an advanced army of 9 regiments in Kalisz, led by Niklas Gevert. It didn’t work well: the next month, Bohemia sent a stack of 20 000 soldiers under Trutnov to Kalisz, and pushed me back out of Danzig too, and I decided to retreat in Vorpommern to recover my heavy losses (9k over the two battles). To avoid being caught off guard there, and to get back the warscore, tax and manpower of Danzig, I signed peace with Pommerania on May 30, 1462. Yes, I was slow on this: I hesitated because it could lead to Bohemia taking Danzig instead. After the peace treaty, the warscore was in my favour by 1%, as I had lost control over Stockholm and Hälsingland.

After some time of reinforcing my armies, I sent them to Sweden (which had peace out with Norway for the Kola peninsula) in order to throw their army out of besieged Hälsingland and Skane. The battle in Hälsingland wasn’t going well, and on December 30, after victory in Skane, I checked to see if it would accept an offer to join my league. After all, their WE was above 15... Mine was actually at 19, but they forgot that, apparently...

peacesweden1.jpg

Great!

It’s pretty much the end of the action part of this report. I killed some rebels in Vorpommern and Holstein. I reached Production 9, and started workshops everywhere (thank you, Mecklenburg!). That’s pretty much it...

Europe saw a few changes during this period, the most important of which is, obviously the fact that CASTILLE INHERITED FRANCE, as mentioned. I repeat: CASTILLE HAS INHERITED FRANCE. It is also winning a war against England right now. Closer to me, Hesse is becoming somewhat powerful: it got Westfalen and Brunswick with Reconquest, and annexed Cleves for the fun of it. In the war between Muscowy and Lithuania I left, Lithuania gained provinces from Moscow’s influence, and annexed Smolensk. Friesland has annexed Utrecht, which means that only two nations have provinces necessary to form the Netherlands, my vassal, and Friesland. Hungary was annexed by Bohemia, which also got Neumark from Brandenburg: Meissen attacked the Margraviate during the that war, but... it was a bad idea, to say the least. Poor, stupid Meissen. Also, Finland, my faithful ally, is now in a union with Lithuania, one of my most hostile enemies.

december1462.jpg

On the trade front, many people are acting in a characteristically stupid manner by creating worthless CoTs. I don’t remember those I already mentioned, but anyway... First, Burgundy. It starts with a top 5 CoT in Antwerpen, but they created one in Artois, and another in Breda. They are both slowly stagnating, apart from the “slowly” part. Venice created a half decent one in Crete, but it should go downward now, with the new Ottoman CoT in Edirne. Hesse left my league to create Westfalen, which started with a value under 30, and is now at 50. There is also Al-Djazair and Worms, which were a very peculiar way for such minors with tight budgets to spend their money: you’d think Algiers would like more cavalry, but apparently, it is not the case. The only useful ones so far are Edirne (which probably draws a bit from still unknown Astrakhan) and Barcelona, with level 3 and 4 respectively. Altogether, the stagnating, level 0 or 1 CoTs are worth 1000 ducats. I trade in the cheapest ones with relatively good value and very high merchant chance, like Lisboa and Île-de-France, but the total value of those in which I don’t trade in is worth 600 ducats. If it was distributed otherwise, I would have probably nearly 20% more trade revenue. It so reduces the value of the “real” CoTs that I have two under 500 greens, and my lowest yellow is Alexandria at 271.5. I send merchants to a few other decent ones when they the chances are favourable, but otherwise, I want them to stagnate, and do all I can to get trade rights near useless CoT to decrease their value, especially with nearby ones like Worms and . This comes even before getting back my grain trade rights from Lithuania, now worth over a full CoT level, which is not a probable prospect in the nearby future. This is what the trade map looks like:

tradedecember1462.jpg

I played a few more days, though, until the autosave, and gained Sjaelland and Jylland as cores. Great!

Next update probably tomorrow, otherwise, Tuesday. Once again, long update... phew! The next one should be shorter.

Last edited:
Not so good news about Castille. It'll be interesting to see how Western Europe shakes out now. You might have to prop up burgundy as a counterweight if England can't hold Castille back.

Wow, Castille inheriting France is something I wouldn't wish upon anyone. Good luck dealing with that! :eek:

Just read this - enjoyed and that's an interesting Castile!

*Subscribes*

So now I’m at peace, and I don’t have an objective anymore. I’m waiting for my workshops to finish building. There’s another revolt in Hamburg... Yeah.

I look at my military screen, and notice that I have nearly full Army tradition. I decide to recruit a general, in order to use it before it decays. His name is Viktor Muhl, which proves that there are other names than Gevert in the Hanseatic army. He has 4 shock and 4 manoeuvre, which means he is not the strongest general possible at this moment, but with his +6 fire, he would’ve been great in a few hundred years... Oh well. I still have 3 very strong generals, which is always good news, even with no expected war.

There is an election in June 1463. I choose, as I did most of the time since the beginning of this game, a diplomat. It is a very good choice, as you can acknowledge:

election_1463.jpg

This is good. When in a republic, normally, you are very trade-oriented, which would normally mean you need a Bureaucrat and high adm rating to increase merchant chances and decrease cost, amongst other things. But Hansa is a special case: it starts in the HRE. Every time I have a non-core province within the Empire, I get +0.25 yearly BB: over 50 years, 12.5 BB. Of course, it is less dramatic than in one shot, but it is better to avoid it. The answer to this is, of course, Boundary disputes (and conquer missions, but anyway). As you noticed, I had three of those already. This event has a MTTH of 5000 months, which means that I would see very few without good modifiers, and good modifiers means, in this case, high diplomacy (and low BB). With DIP 8-9, you can reliably expect to expand just with this event. There are other core granting events (Protect Our Faith, Cultural Dispute, Claim on our Rivals), but they have more difficult triggers, and less powerful modifiers. Of course, this means my merchants, colonists and missionaries are less effective, and I get fewer investments, but right now, I don’t even need missionaries and colonists, and the difference in research between a small and a large ADM are minimal with my monthly revenue. When the Reformation will hit, or after I choose QFTNW, I might alternate between a bureaucrat and a diplomat, and if I leave the HRE, I certainly will go for ADM unless I have a lot of BB to burn.

Of course, military rulers are mostly useless, unless you really need a slightly better general... But then, if you need better leaders, you probably are at war all the time, so you should have high tradition, and will need to burn BB. If you’re too big to have high tradition... Well, in that case, you’re probably big enough that the difference between a regular and slightly-better-than regular leader won’t be much of an advantage...

After this, not much happened. Burgundy became Emperor. Niklas Gevert (the younger of the two) died. I moved my National Focus to Slesvig, and started enacting provinical decisions. Bavaria left the Venetian league (possibly with the help of Weaken Rival League...), and I jumped in for cloth trade rights (it is too close from Worms for Trade League). There were a few wars, of which the only having a short term influence on gameplay is the one that led Bavaria to annex Brandenburg and Ansbach (which made me regret the fact that I had taken cloth rights, not salt). Now, it is a rival, and it has a border with Vorpommern. I also built up my military after the workshops were finished.

I had sent a few gifts to Sweden, enough to reach a disposition in the 90s, but it still left my league, in late 1467. I thought it would be a good idea to make them come back, but Mecklenburg did the same a few months later. As you might have noticed, I haven’t had any problem so far at being at war with Sweden for stupid reasons, so I postponed this operation. Mecklenburg is guaranteed by Bavaria, but it is involved in a very strange war including Milan, Castille, England and a few minors, over what I don’t know, but it seemed serious enough that there was a small RR in some Bavarian provinces.

warmecklenburg.jpg

My plan is simple: I have 17k soldiers in Vorpommern under Gevert, which will attack the army in Brandenburg (11k, no general), leave some soldiers there, and wait in Dresden (with some besieging Thürigen). Meanwhile, Muhl, in Lübeck, with 11 regiments, will crush Meclenburg, and, leaving a few forces for sieges, will position himself in Meissen, ready to join forces with Gevert if Dresden is attacked. Gevert has the largest force because of his higher manoeuvre. The 4 regiments in Hamburg, under Markus Schubert (ruler, but surprisingly low battle skills), will start a siege in Mecklenburg. I don’t plan to do anything to Mecklenburg, as it is not a very interesting vassal to waste 4 BB on right now (as I still have 4 infamy). If I can get good compensations, I will take them, but otherwise, just join league. Bavaria should release Brandenburg, Thüringia, Wurttembrg, Ansbach, and just basically everyone it has annexed (though I can’t release Franken, as the Palatinate still exists).

The battle of Brandenburg was a great success: I killed more than 6000 men on the other side, for only 700 on mine. The pursuit in Potsdam was successful, but, even with both Gevert and Muhl, I couldn’t defeat an enemy doomstack of thirty regiments (well, yes, they ended their war in Italy or wherever apparently), and retreated to my territory. They started a siege in Altmark with 18k troops (Denmark has taken my place in Mecklenburg). After three months of recovery, I attack them with my full force, and they are destroyed in Hamburg.

I start a new offensive, with a slight difference: Hesse is now at war with Bavaria, and there is an enemy army in Brunswick. I already have access to Hesse, and I decide to send one small thrust on the enemy stack there, and going for Dresden through Thüringen, while another body will go East (through Mecklenburg and Brandenburg, because there is a rebellion in Ruppin), sow death on its path, and make junction in Dresden. Both have 2 cavalry and 3 infantry. I only have limited objectives, waiting for the rest of my army to reinforce in Lübeck. However, Gevert dies on his way to Brunswick. I hire a new general, Heuer, who has the same stats, except +5 to fire, and he is assigned to this stack. Both armies have 5 relatively full regiments.

The operation is successful. The army in Brunswick is utterly destroyed. When I reach Brandenburg, I see a small stack in Potsdam. I attack it, with success, and stop a counter-attack, even though it was stronger than what I had. However, I had sent help through Ruppin, excepting a tough battle, so I had to confront the rebels. I will send a few units from the reinforcements to start sieges in Ruppin, Brandenburg and Potsdam. Meanwhile, my two army groups meet the fleeing enemies in Meissen, and are victorious. While my siege forces do their work, I set my main fighting force to wait a counter-attack in Dresden. This was the result:

battleofdresden_june1470.jpg

I attempted a pursuit in Franken, but pulled back because of low morale. I attack again the next month, and kill 3000 Bavarians, for 300 deaths on my side. There is, however, a very large army waiting in Oberpfalz. They attempt twice to push me back (first in October, and again in December), without much success.

battleoffranken_october1470.jpg

battleoffranken_december1470.jpg

That’s a large stack indeed. During the period between the start of the new offensive and that important victory, about a year had passed. The sieges in the former margraviate had started in March, and were starting to end. Ruppin was the first in June, then Potsdam and Ruppin in September, Brandenburg in October, and Thüringen in December. In January 1471, Mecklenburg and Franken fall. I sign peace with Mecklenburg:

peacemecklenburg0.jpg

I don’t know where they get that money... In March, the enemy position in Oberpfalz seems weak, and I try to attack, but they are joined by others, so I retreat to Franken, and then Dresden, where I make a successful stand. However, I am very weak, and I withdraw my troops from enemy territory. Bavaria starts several sieges. I am only ready for a new attack in June of the next year, as I am low on manpower, but it fails dramatically. They won’t accept any peace deals except 25 ducats, even though they are above 12 WE and I am above 40% of warscore. I pay some pretenders in München (highest base tax), and hope it distracts them.

However, something very rare happened: I gained a new core, but it wasn’t a Boundary Dispute, it was a Claim on my Rivals. And the core is a very strong province: Brandenburg. Good base tax, population and base manpower, cloth production, it is certainly one of the best provinces in Northern Germany. My objectives change: I want Brandenburg now!

I attack again in January, after I lost control of several provinces. I get some success, as I attack right after an assault on Potsdam (successful), but I am ultimately defeated in Meissen...

peacebavaria.jpg

Because the Reconquest casus belli wasn’t used for the war, I get some infamy, but it was already low (1.8 the day of the peace). The war ended on March 9, 1473

I played for a few more years. I got to gov. 11, and chose Shrewd Commerce Practice: I already have competitive merchants, but you can't have too much compete chance, can you? I probably will go for QFTNW at 17. I already have the essential ones: I can defend myself with Military Drill, and I have the best economy possible with NTP and SCP. Of course, it might be difficult at first to colonize, as at naval tech 17, with QFTNW, I will only have a range of 435, which will only be enough for... Newfoudland, or West Africa... From there, of course, I can progressively go South, to my targets (South Africa and the Carribean), but by the time I get cores on those provinces (which have low base tax and will probably produce grain...), many of the most interesting spots will be gone. It is a drawback of being in Germany, or, more accurately, of not being Portugal. After that, I don't know yet.

In 1476, Mecklenburg left my trade league. But I was tired, and went to bed.

Elsewhere... The war between Castille and England didn’t end well for the latter. It lost several provinces in France when Armagnac was freed by the peace deal, but mostly, there were revolts in Wales, Scotland and Irelans which overwhelmed the country. All three are in my league. Now I don’t stop seeing that England went bankrupt once again, probably because of their 50 big ships. It wasn’t much better for Castille: WE drove France to revolt. However, it could not win completely the independence war, and it is an OPM, surrounded by several freed minors. Now it is at war with what remains of England, and controls all it had in France. Burgundy took advantage of the situation too and snatched a few provinces in France. It also took Savoy from Milan. In Spain too, there are problems, as Granada declared independence, and controls most of Southern Spain. There is a major war going on in Italy: Burgundy and Bavaria are at war with Milan. Some minors are involved. Hesse used this opportunity to declare war on Bavaria for Thüringen. Lithuania completely demolished Muscowy, and annexed its ally, Pskov (which had gained Ingermanland from a revolt). Also, Bohemia has further separated Austria, and is winning a Crusade on the Ottomans.

august1476.jpg

Lithuania created a CoT in Memel. But it had given grain rights to Genoa, so they didn’t have all their territory within Memel... Solution? Vilna! Kiev! New CoT! Great decision. Now they have 3 stagnating level 0 CoTs, instead of one healthy level 3... What a waste.

I don't have time to play until Thursday, and I won't be able to write until the weekend, or maybe Friday night.

Last edited:
I don't know what will happen with England. The situation in Western Europe is quite messed up... Soon, it will be as fragmented as the HRE. And actually, there is considerable blobbing going on in Germany, what with Bavaria, Hesse and myself... Should be quite fun to see. I don't remember anybody but me forming France, but Burgundy might... Which would be good, if it can weaken Castille and England (which is not a factor anymore, actually).

I edited the last post a bit. I put the wrong battle of Franken. There were three battles there: the first one, I took it, then I defended it twice. The picture that was there is for the battle that I mentioned when I said I killed 3000 (well, 3700) for 300 on my side. The others were bloodier, and involved an actual doomstack.

After the last update, I was preparing a war with Mecklenburg. It is guaranteed only by Bavaria, which is already at war with a few minors. There is little chance that Hesse will win this war, but they certainly would be a distracting factor, and I can beat Bavaria alone, as proven in the last update. I also had a few caravels building, because caravels are fun.

However, as always in this game, something happened.

denmarkcall.jpg

They apparently do not like to check alliance networks. And, apparently, they do not put much fear into their allies, as both Pommerania and Bohemia declined the call. Which means a very easy war for me, and I won’t lose my CB on Mecklenburg, as I can attack both at once. Sweden only has 20k soldiers, and I have more than 30. They start at nearly 6 WE, and Capacity below 40%. Of course, I start by blockading everything with galleys, and I send all my fleet to Alands Hav.

All my army was in Germany, however. I send my troops in Vorpommern to Skane with cogs. I only have limited objectives. Only distracting the Swedish army while Norway attacks the North would satisfy them. I move my troops (15 regiments under Muhl) to Halland, which makes an enemy in Västergötlandstack going toward it stop. At the same time, Norway sent a small army in Värmland. It is now the new Swedish target. I follow them closely, hoping to help my allies in the battle. It is not a wholly successful attempt, as I have to leave the battle field, but they lost more than 8000 men, and gain 4 WE. I send my stack to rest in Lübeck, to prepare an attack on Mecklenburg, while the other will replace it in Scandinavia. During that interval, Norway is beaten several times. Ultimately it will sign peace in February 1477, soon followed by Denmark, but let’s not get too far ahead, shall we?

I send my fresh army around Stockholm. I start sieges in the capital, and in Bergslagen, Hälsingland and Östergötland. I get maximal sieges, with easily reinforced positions. After the white peace with Norway is signed, the enemy army marches toward me: this will lead to the battle of Östergötland, in May. After a rocky start for the 3 regiments that were there, the arrival of the rest of my army turns the tide, and I inflicted another 8000 casualties. I follow them to Stockholm, and then start new sieges. However, I make a minor mistake: my main army was sent to Bergslagen instead of Hälsingland, were they retreated. I misread the province on the tooltip. The regiments I sent there were victorious in the end, with help from reinforcements, but it cost many men. Finally, there was no army left against me after November 1477 and the battle of Västerbotten.

As I mentioned, I also wanted to bring back Mecklenburg to my league. And I did. I declared war in August 1477, Bavaria didn’t answer, I assaulted the fortress, and that was it. I had to wait a month to get a chance to sign peace, which is always funny. I was slow about asking for peace, but in October, it was over.

peacemecklenburg1.jpg

As I had only a limited aim in Sweden, I didn’t need to occupy everything. I took Bergslagen in December 1477, then Stockholm in January, Östergötland in February, and Dalaskogen in May. That, with my victories on the field, my blockade, and the destruction of much of their navy (2 captured galleys, too), was enough warscore for what I wanted.

peacesweden2.jpg

I don’t think revoking all their cores will be enough to end those useless wars, but it certainly is a place to start. At least, they won’t attack Denmark or Finland every other day. It’s a start. I just hope Novgorod will eat them up a bit, so I might vassalize them, some day.

My next target probably would’ve been Bremen, but something strange happened. It was annexed by... Burgundy? Yes, Burgundy. The Emperor, and what seems to be the most powerful land power out there, without nearly 100 000 men. It not the right fight for now, but maybe someday it will be more realistic.

Also, I don’t know if I have mentioned it, but my Free Trade slider is now fully maxed out. I moved toward centralization, and got a stability hit. Too bad. Next on my list will be Free Subjects, to decrease further my tech costs. However, I must revise the statement I made in my initial slider strategy discussion: for the Thalassocracy decision, I will need +4 Naval. It isn’t a pressing need, but when I’ll start to have a more significant overseas empire, I’ll want these sliders changes to be already in effect. That should give me a good 100 years, so I can make a few other slider changes until then, but after Plutocracy and a few moves for Quality, this will be next.

As I’m talking about decisions... Let’s continue this way. Apart from the generally obvious tag specific decisions, there are quite a few good ones out there. Some are even worth changing your strategy to get them. There are a few that are easy choices, and only have a minor effect. But even by excluding the obvious Westernization for poor tech groups countries, Enlist Privateers, Indian Trade Company, the Navigation Act, or Education Act, have very interesting effects, but are only available through difficult triggers. Is Enlist Privateer worth a not so useful National Idea, and giving up some free Prestige to get a penalty there? What about the Trade Company? Surely India is fun to get, but it requires a lot of preparation. Is the Navigation Act enough to make me wait before going for Free Trade, if that’s where I want to go? And, finally, is it worth it to build a university in my capital, and to enact a mediocre decision, in order to get the Education Act.

In this game, as stated, it is highly probable that I will go for India. I will shape my strategy to reach this goal, though the national decision is only a part of my motive. I will choose Enlist Privateers, too, which will require me to create a useless advisor, but so be it. It would give me 5.5% more Compete chance, which is quite good. I lose 1% of Prestige, but I spend most of my time fighting Sweden, so it should not be a problem. In the worst case, I’ll just spam Glorious monuments. It’s too late for Navigation Act, and I still don’t know for Education Act, though I probably won’t go for it, as Lübeck produces Naval Supplies.

Back to the game. I might not be capable right now to attack Burgundy, but... I also have a claim on Warmia. Mazovia too would look good, and freeing a few countries can’t hurt. Now is the best time, as Bohemia is heavily involved in a war with the Ottoman Empire. Even though Bohemia occupies a large part of Hungary, it still has an unfavourable Warscore, which indicates they probably have lost a few battles.

warbohemia.jpg

We start with roughly equal force, both around 30k. However, before I actually start to describe how it happened, I’ll give you a clue about the result.

battleofmazovia_august1479.jpg

Yes. That’s right. That’s right. What happened?

Before starting the war, I sent most of my troops to Danzig and Ostpreussen, under my recruited generals (Muhl, with 4 shock, and Abendroth, with 2), with a small army in Brandenburg, under my leader, Wenzel Thelemann, who only has +1 to shock. The armies in Prussia/Poland would start sieges in Warmia, Mazovia, Plock and Kalisz. It is only a way to spread them in enemy territory, waiting for a decisive battle when Bohemia will attack. If they don’t attack, I control my objectives, Warmia and Mazovia. Thelemann will start some sieges, targeting Bohemia itself, while the main force of the enemy will be in Poland. If he is attacked, he simply has to retreat as quickly as possible.

The first combat was by Thelemann. After moving in Niederlausitz, I see two regiments in Breslau. Deciding it is better to kill them now rather than later, I attack, and win. The Ottoman and Bohemia sign a White Peace. Soon, I see an army in Sandomierz heading for Mazovia, about thirty half-strength regiments. I am a bit inaccurate in timing the arrivals of my armies, but the fight is going well, with 1000 death per shock day on their side, and not much on mine. I see another stack, with maybe twenty regiments, but more soldiers. I prepare myself to order a retreat, but I continue dealing enormous punishment, even 3000 in one day! That was the genesis of victory, and certainly the most decisive victory on the field I have had on equivalent techs. The 30 regiment stack is destroyed in Plock, the other, in Warmia.

I basically won the war, there, in August 1479. The rest was mostly sieges and mopping up mercenaries. I also had time to deal with a rebellion in Denmark, which actually hit a few days before the DoW. With my overwhelming victory, I decide to revise my objectives: I will also liberate every country I can, in addition to the usual trade league agreement. In order, Sandomierz, Breslau, Plock, Mazovia, Neumark, Sieradz, Bohemia, Moravia, Kalisz, Erskejuvar, Ratibor, Niederlausitz, Oberlausitz, Pressburg, Sudety, Erz, Ostmarch, Pecs, and, finally, Warmia, in March 1481. The only half important battle was when 4k Ukrainians attacked me in Erskejuvar, after I had taken the city, and drove me back. With some reinforcements from recently secured territories, Muhl destroyed them.

peacebohemia0.jpg

Also, I got 150 ducats from the Palatinate when Trier took Pfalz, in 1479. They joined my league, too, as I wanted to see what it would do to their CoT. The answer is: absolutely nothing. Oh well.

During the war, I had an election. I chose a diplomat, who turned out to be also a good general, with 4 to everything and 1 to siege. He helped with some mercenary mopping.

In August, I established a grain depot in Jylland. With the increased force limits, I built several new regiments, and several transports to transport them. When I recovered full MP, I began preparations for an attack on Burgundy. It had declared war on Castille, but even though I didn’t believe it would weaken them (Castille was also at war with Aragon, Portugal, and Granada), it certainly would make them distracted. The plan was to send a large army of mixed cavalry and infantry, with Muhl, to protect Holland, while I assault Bremen with an infantry army. 5000 horsemen would wait in Hamburg, to act as a reserve or a rebel crushing force. However, Burgundy signed peace while I was still moving troops, and I abandoned the idea. I will have to wait for their king to die, so I won’t be fighting the Emperor. Ideally, they’d be fighting Milan, too.

It wasn’t all for Castille. Avignon declared war, then Fez and Normandy revolted, and, finally, Algiers attacked too. Quite a few rebels, too. To Burgundy, it gave large parts of France. To Portugal and Aragon, significant territory in Spain. There was a WP with Normandy. The others are still at war, but Castille is entirely occupied. It was fun while it lasted. Apart from that, Novgorod and Lithuania both declared war on Muscowy a while ago, but none of its provinces are occupied right now, though under siege. Novgorod seems busy with Norway, so it’s probably Lithuania laying siege. Hesse lost its war against Burgundy and Bavaria, obviously, but only had to release Cleves. Austria took back some territory from Styria, but Steiermark still separates North and South.

may1483.jpg

If you want a clue about what will should happen in tomorrow's session, it probably will have something to do with this:

warmecklenburg0.jpg

Last edited: