• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I can't remember the last time i've colonized anything in EU3... But things seem to be going fairly well for you, so go for it!!!

Short update. I planned a longer session, but it didn’t work, so I will give you what was done before I forget everything.

Quickly, I entered Religious Turmoil. As I am not a tolerant person (well, at least I’m not a tolerant ruler), I decided that the heretics must be quashed, and that their false beliefs should be abolished. Of course, it would be more fun to convert the Pope, but we’ll start with my German subj- citizens. This was because it allows an event granting me missionaries, and I need missionaries. I don’t care about revolts and other annoyances, I can deal with them. Missionaries. That’s the way to go.

In the Americas, I quickly started new colonies. I had sent a colonist for St. Kitts near the end of the last session, and it succeeded. Another two went for Antigua and Dominica, with success, before one of my Explorers died, and the fun ended. My objective was to send all I could in the Caribbean to grab as many provinces as possible while I can. They are much more important than the East Coast. After my advisor’s death, I started two other North American colony, in order to reach richer Massachussetts. Micmac is now a city, but I will focus on improving the others before start a new one. For your information, at the end of the session, my colonies produce fish (Micmac), tobacco (St. Kitts), sugar (Antigua), cotton (Dominica), furs (Abnaki) and naval supplies (Pennacook). Massachussetts produces nothing yet (population of 265). There are no natives in my North American colonies, as they attacked my conquistador, but the Antilles are mostly intact, apart from a disease event. I have also discovered most of North America, from my colonies to Portuguese Mexico, but my conquistador died, so that will be it for now.

But the New World is not the only place I have in mind for my overseas empire. I want to know more about the East, and I will need a base as soon as possible. Right now, I can barely get past Senegal by colonizing... Well, sending colonists is not the only option.

warbenin.jpg

peacebenin.jpg

Benin not the best province in the world, but it gets the job done: it is pagan, it is near South Africa, and it has a decent base tax. This is not a fair match, even with equal number of men. The “difficult” part was to get peace with their useless ally. With an equal number of soldiers, they didn’t stand a chance. Within 50 years, I’ll get a core, and I will start a colony in South Africa, which I will use to conquer India. Let’s hope there will be some kind of unified Empire to fight there, because it can be quite a challenge when there is someone to fight.

I let two infantry regiments guard Benin, with two cogs for transport and patrols. My North American colonies have a 1-2 army and three transports. In the Caribbean, I have a similar force, but divided so I have one regiment on every island to suppress native uprisings. Only one transport is needed. There is no problem for my force limits, as it is basically equivalent from that which I gain from these provinces.

In Europe, I decided to disband several galleys. Ten of them, actually, those with generic names. I am planning to build new caravels, and my old galleys stand no chance against enemy big ships right now (Naval 18, but most opponents are around 15-16). I’m better off with the extra money needed to upgrade my fleet, especially with my lower force limits from wrong-religion provinces. I also need many transport for my colonial Empire, where they are also useful to fight piracy. I send my new flytes there instead of simple cogs: I don’t really risk having my transports in a fight in the Baltic with my naval supremacy, but I can’t know for sure what will happen in the Americas, where I can’t really station many ships right now. As soon as I’ll have hit 40 big ships in Europe, I will start building a fleet for the colonies, but it seems hypothetical right now because of colonial and missionary upkeeps. However, that should be better within 30 years, and I don’t risk much until then. Right now, I have 31 carracks and caravels and 12 galleys, still enough to fight just about anybody.

On the religious front, things are shaping up nicely. Well, correctly at least. Gotland converted by event, and Hamburg, Mazovia and Warmia did by missionary (the latter within a month). Reformed faith is the most important religion with 13 provinces (including 7 cities, 6 of them in Europe), followed by Catholicism (6) and Protestantism (5). Oh, and one of the two Pagan religions. The Protestant provinces can’t be converted right because of the modifier given by the Spread event, so I will have to wait some time before attempting to convert them to the True Faith. All Catholic provinces are being converted. Not enough to stop the Religious Turmoil, but better than nothing. Also, to speed up the process, I ended my traditional selection of a diplomat: the two last rulers were Bureaucrats. The first one was quite incompetent (5-3-3), but now, Ernst Adler von Oldenburg does the job, with 8-3-5.

Not much action in this update. But the next one should be quite fun:

walescall.jpg

England signed a white peace of some sort with Wales about five years ago. Remember that England has the largest big ship fleet in the world with 51, but is also way behind in tech because of chain-bankruptcy and general lack of revenue during the Welsh revolution. I had guaranteed Wales because I must “bring back England to the fold”... Yeah. Munster (alliance leader), Scotland and others joined the party, too.

I was offered an alliance by Castille in January 1521, which I accepted. That was just before the start of the war. You can never know.

There was one significant change on the political map: Bavaria has started another conquest rampage, and annexed Thuringia, Ansbach and Tyrol (with its now valuable CoT), as well as taken a province from Baden. They embargo me right now, so rest assured that I will send them back to their 5 province self, possibly in a vassal state. Enough is enough. Milan has all but united Italy, with only the Pope and Venice surviving. Burgundy also owns Piedmont. Through revolts, Croatia has expanded in the former Ottoman possessions in the area, and attacked Ragusa. Oh, and Bohemia is really uglier and uglier. Poland declared war on England and took one province... Really, every second of my life, I wonder about how English provinces could defect to Poland.

religionjanuary1521.jpg

On the religious front, all of Castille is converted to Reformed, as well as most of Burgundy. Most of Central Europe is still Catholic, however...

january1521.jpg

If you noticed that "I can use better units"... I am at Land 18. That means I have Free Shooters, Tercios, and Maurician Infantry. As fire modifiers are very low for now, the last two lose much of their interest, but the game would like me to choose the Spanish organization...

My time is quite divided between HTTT and DW (and Rome, and Vicky, and HoI2 which I just bought, and probably Vicky2 if I decide to jump on the GG special, and, oh, my new cell phone’s Sudoku program), but the end of my semester means I should have more time now. I said it in the last update, but I still had one exam left. This is no longer the case. Hurray!

Last edited:
Should this be an easy war? It sounds like it, but England has beaten me often enough for me to be cautious. :D

They have a large fleet, but it is their only asset. They are at tech 10, while I have 18. I will have Free Shooters fighting Lonbowmen, with a 40% advantage in shock modifier. They have carracks, I have many caravels, with a 60% better fire modifier (40% for shock). The naval part of the operation might become problematic, but chances are they will do useless things like blockading Wales while I load, transport and unload 18 regiments on their soil. They also have huge RR problems. It should be easy.

Then good luck. :D

Sorry for not having made a new update, I've been quite busy with Christmas stupidities (work, familiy, extended family, cat, etc.). I did play a lot of video games, but I was feeling more for a RPG lately. I'm going out of town until January 9, too, so... yeah.

I must admit my description style means I must have a lot of free time for both playing and writing, but my schedule right now is cut into a lot of small pieces, which doesn't help.