• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A few updates missed (as always @coz1 your pace remains terrifying) but I've caught up and looking back I detect a common theme - this recent run has been quite depressing. The Queen does evil but suffers no consequence. Good men are spurned and sycophants prosper. The King finally understands his wife, but his decline robs him of any chance to dispense justice and then strikes him low. There are no heroes, not even any tolerably likeable characters.

It is all looking a bit miserable really.
Indeed, if but one of the many things had gone well over this past year we might have averted this coming crises. Instead, one just piled on to another and here we are. It is true that there are few likeable characters though I am not known for writing really sympathetic ones often. I enjoy looking at their flaws and how that leads to their poor decision making and choices. However, not all of them are fully detestable. None are pure but some are cleaner than others.

Reactions:
YwjrazS.png

Windsor, September 1453

What was it? No one knew. The King held a healthy pulse. His heart was working fine to all that knew. Yet while he was able to be moved and allowed it, his head lolled and he was unable or unwilling to communicate in the slightest. Many years later it would still be unknown but the chronicler Paston had recorded it as “a sudden and thoughtless fright.” Upon immediate discovery, Margaret despite her condition had taken over and demanded that each be sworn to secrecy. They were loathe to dispute her and so they assisted in traveling the King back to Westminster at first in the hopes that he would recover his senses.

That was two weeks ago and as the King showed no signs of recovery, Margaret had him moved to Windsor out of sight from court. She would call every doctor and physician that were known. Each in turn examined and investigated him, but none held the answer. His chief physician Arundel suggested that Henry may well be in the throws of madness. Of course he would for his specialty was mental illness. He was Warden of the Hospital of St. Mary of Bethlehem in Bishopgate which housed a number of inmates that he said were “right out of their senses.” Yet when asked why and how this could have happened to the King, the man had little answer.

In her now rotund state, Margaret pressed the doctor, “If you cannot explain it, then who may?!”

“My Lady Queen, we may only observe the exterior symptoms of His Grace,” Arundel attempted to inform her, “The King does not present with fever therefor we may rule out delirium and mania is right out as well for he displays no violent action. Yet melancholia and amentia seem quite clear. It is difficult to know if the King presents with phrenitis...or an inflammation of the brain...yet it is possible. See how the eye droops...this side of the face?”

Standing next to the Queen, Archbishop Kempe questioned, “If you may not explain the cause, can you at the least express how he may be cured? Is there a cure?”

“In the simplest terms,” Arundel suggested, “These types of things are nearly always caused by an imbalance of the humors. Likely an excess of black bile which should be purged from his person by bleeding and other methods. I should think a head poultice is in order as well. We may attempt other tinctures and ointments. We shall of course do whatever is necessary for the King’s recovery.”

Margaret pressed, “So you do believe that he shall return as normal?”

“It is quite possible,” the physician replied, “I have seen cases of it.”

“Is it probable?” the Duke of Buckingham asked.

Arundel looked to them with question, “May I ask...is there a history of such cases in the royal family? I do know that his father King Henry the fifth passed to God from disease born from the field of action, but what of his grandfather?”

“Henry the fourth held a skin disease often,” Kempe allowed, “It is said that he also suffered some acute condition many times during his later life. Yet he was two score and five when he passed. King Henry is naught but thirty and two.”

Buckingham followed, “Yet there is the maternal side of it. The King’s French grandfather showed a mania and quite often. Believed that he was made of glass or some such. There are all manner of stories...that he would act as a dog and eat his food from the floor at times...would refuse to wash and became filthy...in one such case it is said that he became so overwhelmed with delusion that he went berserk with a lance killing four people before being overcome by his attendants.”

The Archbishop showed the sign of the cross, “God help us!”

“I see no sign of that here,” Arundel looked back to the silent King, “His Grace is as mute as a calf. In short, simply non compos mentis.”

Margaret went to the King and looked into his eyes, “Sir? Can you hear me?”

The King did not respond to her and instead looked ahead with spittle forming at his mouth. She wiped it away and held his head to look at her, “Henry!!!”

His eyes briefly focused on her and then away once again.

“Do what you can, sir,” Buckingham suggested strongly to the physician, “His Grace must make a recovery for we are at a calamitous state.”

Arundel gave nod and two men helped him wheel the King away to his chamber while the threesome looked to one another in confusion. Margaret was suddenly overcome by fear, “I am not due for a while yet. There are weeks when we show no royal power without him. Yet we cannot allow this to leak to the public. York will surely use it as means for his ends.”

“That is no doubt,” Kempe agreed, “Yet the longer this persists, the less we shall be able to keep it secret. We cannot conceal this illness indefinitely.”

Margaret looked to him with a strong eye, “If the child be a son, we may have Henry abdicate. Even if he does recover, he may not be able to cope with the stresses of his kingship.”

“My Lady Queen,” Buckingham hesitated, “Let us not go too far just yet.”

They were alerted when the Duke of Somerset entered the hall, “My apologies for my lateness. Have I missed His Grace? Has his condition improved?”

As each shook their head no, Somerset offered a deep sigh, “That is too poor. For I receive word from across the channel. Burgundy makes their peace with France.”

“Was it harsh?” the Archbishop questioned.

Somerset shrugged, “Hard to say. Philip did not gain very much. Though he did push for freedom to the Duke Charles in Orleans. They are released as vassal and gain Reims and more to the north. A veritable buffer state between the Burgundian lowlands and Paris.”

“What then of Talbot, sir?” Buckingham asked, “May he now move should he receive his grant?”

“Mayhap if he returns to Normandy,” Somerset explained, “His position to Bordeaux is secure, but Mantua and her allies continue to scour the French lands and hold much of southern France already.”

Margaret was quick to reply, “Make peace for ourselves, monsieur. We have not the time nor funds to make more of it.”

“Madam...” Buckingham turned to her, “...it is a chance to retake Normandy. We already hold Caux!”

“I say, make peace!” she answered forcefully, “I am certain that His Grace would wish it. This is much the reason he is in this place to start. This great worry. Lift that burden and he may be able to recover more quickly.”

“I know not that we may take action without his word,” Archbishop Kempe contemplated.

“You have his word,” Margaret turned to him, “It is mine. Make the peace.”

Buckingham scoffed, “My Lady...you are but Queen. Not sovereign. It is to his will that we serve.”

“Then go and ask him and see if he shall reply,” Margaret pointed to his chambers before placing her hands to her stomach, “I hold the sovereign within me and was I not crowned? For the now, we four are the King. There can be no other.”

“Council must at least be consulted!” Kempe argued.

Somerset moved to stand next to the Queen and answered them, “Then consult. Tell them what they needs must know. You are to Council, Stafford. As are you, Lord Chancellor. As am I. Salisbury...Exeter...Bonville...Ely...they are all loyal to His Grace and will do what needs must be done.”

“Lord Salisbury remains close to the Duke of York, sir,” Buckingham suggested, “And the Bishop of Ely may also speak out as our brother is married to Richard’s sister. Once York knows, there shall be no charade.”

Archbishop Kempe followed, “And what of Parliament? They too would wish to consult and consent, I am certain.”

“They are not called at the now, are they?” Margaret pressed them, “And we need not disclose just how serious this is. If the French war continues to rage, then at some point they will wish a hearing. All of them and York as well. End the war...end the concern. I must needs find confinement soon for the birth of this child. I cannot rule without you. We must allow the King time enough to recover. Until then...we must hold fast. Explain it as...a fatigue. A malaise. Anything to avert prying eyes.”

Somerset held to Margaret as she felt a great weight come over her, “And this stress does my Lady little good, sirs. For the health of the heir...I agree. We should make the peace and see to this other as best we may.”

“Make the peace, my Lords,” Margaret followed as she allowed Somerset to help her along leaving Buckingham and Kempe alone.

The Archbishop watched after them before turning to Buckingham, “This is some form of madness, sir.”

“In twin form,” Buckingham replied with disgust, “Are we loyal to a person or are we loyal to an institution?”

“It is true...” Kempe looked back to the Queen as she exited the hall, “...we must find way to govern while the King is incapacitated. Yet if we fabricate now, we shall surely pay for it in future.”

Buckingham gave nod, “The Lady said it herself...she will be to confinement soon enough. Salisbury...Ely...Norfolk even when he hears of it...they will wish more than a French Queen ruling. We must begin to consider a regency and they will not attend to her alone, I think.”

“Then we must wait,” Kempe looked to him again, “For the King...and for the realm.”

“I like it not...but inform Somerset to make the peace,” Buckingham returned his gaze with a firm eye, “We are in great peril at the now and that is just one more ache of the head for us all. Talbot has held every opportunity but without the means. And she will surely not press for more within France. We needs must focus upon the realm at this moment for we enter uncharted waters and there be dragons.”

Kempe questioned, “The dragon of York or the dragon of Anjou?”

“Are they not one and the same in their fashion?” Buckingham returned with his own question.

The Archbishop crossed himself again, “Almighty God help us all!”

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
She's already making terrible decisions by herself. Good thing her ring of advisors and power brokers are a mixure of stupid, weak and disloyal (and the disloyal ones are rhe most powerful).

Would love to see york's reaction to the son being born and immediate declared king...hoping for a girl or a dead baby in this case is probably for the best. Otherwise it's civil war for sure.

Reactions:
There probably should be some kind of warning on this work "Abandon hope all ye who read it." ;)

I see that despite the effective absence of the King we are still hitting the same beats; Margaret is a traitor who makes awful decisions but suffers no consequence, her advisers are idiots, and so on. He was (mostly) a disinterested monarch so I suppose I should not be surprised at how little difference him not being there made.

“Are they not one and the same in their fashion?” Buckingham returned with his own question.
Buckingham making a bold bid to be declared stupidest person in the story. It is a very crowded field but this is a stunning effort, for all York's flaws he wants what is best for the country while Margaret is a lying, treasonous, adulterer who wants what is best for herself and France (in that order). It is baffling to me how they could be thought "one and the same".

The best outcome I can see is that Somerset is sent to make peace, he mucks it up so much and tries to give away so much land that Talbot finally snaps. Talbot kills Somerset, makes a peace that leaves France a terrified and impotent vassal and then leads the army back to England, massacres both sides (more a War on Roses than of) and then declares himself King. Obviously won't happen, but in a story that allowed justice maybe it would.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Fb-fb:

She's already making terrible decisions by herself. Good thing her ring of advisors and power brokers are a mixure of stupid, weak and disloyal (and the disloyal ones are rhe most powerful).
You knew that she would. Hell, she knew that she would but that won't stop her.

Would love to see york's reaction to the son being born and immediate declared king...hoping for a girl or a dead baby in this case is probably for the best. Otherwise it's civil war for sure.
Have you ever seen the 1981 film Scanners directed by David Cronenberg? This might be York's reaction...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/djTw5269awMtW" width="480" height="268" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

There probably should be some kind of warning on this work "Abandon hope all ye who read it." ;)

I see that despite the effective absence of the King we are still hitting the same beats; Margaret is a traitor who makes awful decisions but suffers no consequence, her advisers are idiots, and so on. He was (mostly) a disinterested monarch so I suppose I should not be surprised at how little difference him not being there made.
A zebra cannot change its stripes but you make a good point as regards Henry. He did very little when he had ability so taking him from the equation changes very little in how others act. That said, it does open a vacuum which you know will need to be filled. Coming soon, I promise. In fact, the next chapter will describe that process. However, I cannot say that it will do much to contribute to any idea of "hope." Maybe...we'll see. ;)

Buckingham making a bold bid to be declared stupidest person in the story. It is a very crowded field but this is a stunning effort, for all York's flaws he wants what is best for the country while Margaret is a lying, treasonous, adulterer who wants what is best for herself and France (in that order). It is baffling to me how they could be thought "one and the same".
If I may allow Buckingham to speak for himself for a moment...

"My Lord of Pip...you make a scandalous accusation in regards to the Queen! Whilst she does show a certain self interest, I know of no time ever when she has practiced in adultery or treason. I will readily admit that her actions of late border on poisonous to the realm, yet I see no reason why that could not also be applied to the Lord of York in his previous efforts at disrupting the kingdom. Do you not recall my valuable efforts in quelling that near civil war, sir? Was not he the one that brought us to the brink of battle, blood and death? Further...your choice word of stupid...I dare say that I may require satisfaction on that score but I will forgo finding it upon the field of challenge and simply let it be in the interest of peace."

The best outcome I can see is that Somerset is sent to make peace, he mucks it up so much and tries to give away so much land that Talbot finally snaps. Talbot kills Somerset, makes a peace that leaves France a terrified and impotent vassal and then leads the army back to England, massacres both sides (more a War on Roses than of) and then declares himself King. Obviously won't happen, but in a story that allowed justice maybe it would.
In regards to John, Lord Talbot Earl of Shrewsbury he is likely the most ahistorical of this entire story. In OTL, he returned to England and was part of the King's entourage when Richard of York made his play in 1452. It is suggested that it was his support of the King that truly turned the tables on Richard and caused the other Lords to stay on the side of Henry. As well, he should not even be alive right now in this time line if I went truly historical for he died at the siege of Castillon in July of 1453. Yet he remains very much alive as military leader in the game (and I would say thank God for that if I had good use for him.) More on that below.

As to best outcomes...please refer to your first comment above. ;)

To all - We are now to a turning point in the story but the chapter is not quite yet done. There remains one more scene to finish it off and send us to the next. Two things from the scene above likely require further explanation -

1.) Henry's illness - First of all, I am disappointed that no one has commented on the humorous Dr. Arundel. The hospital ascribed to him was accurate and is otherwise known as "Bedlam." Also, I did have some fun with him describing the King's illness and certainly his reaction to the French King's exploits as opposed to what is happening to King Henry. Maybe it is just me. Dark humor, perhaps.

More importantly, I am treading a fine line with what exactly is happening to Henry. You may or may not have noticed the one off line about the King's face. "Madness" does not accurately explain his condition. Not being a medical doctor myself, it is difficult to truly diagnose what happened to him but from my reading and what was suggested through the chronicles of the time, it may well be that he had a stroke. While they can of course be deadly, they do not always and some victims of such can recover fully. I will not say Henry will in this case, but that is what makes the most sense to me from the historical record. As I said before, I hope the lead up to it reads as believable and not just an out of nowhere circumstance. Henry was under a great deal of stress (both historically and here) and this may have contributed to his condition.

2.) The peace with France - As I've mentioned before, I am not playing this game to win as I might normally. Instead, I am trying to model conditions that lead to the WOTR. In OTL, it was the loss of both Normandy AND Bordeaux that caused the end of the 100 Years War and contributed greatly to the outbreak of hostilities that we know of in the further conflict within England. In this timeline, Bordeaux is not lost but I still felt need to effect a peace that kept a near status quo. As mentioned in scene, I could have pulled Talbot from the south and placed him to Normandy where he would have likely done a great deal of damage to the French. But they are burning right now and I did not want to push.

Besides, they are still dealing with Mantua and allies as suggested so I'm not sure what kind of peace I could have truly made giving me all of Normandy back. Further, it would not serve the story as I wish to tell it. I will say that I am not done with France, but we are not there yet and in truth, the game mechanics make it more difficult. Now I have to break truce for a time to go back to war and that yields sub-optimum conditions for the England that is coming. I have gamed it out a few times. Please remember that I am not playing a game and then writing about it. I am writing about an historical event and trying to make the game work for that. It is not easy. ;)

All that said, the next scene arrives tomorrow and will lead us directly into the next chapter that I have titled "The Question of Regency." That chapter is finished as of this date which may not give @El Pip any less terrifying emotions and once again I do apologize for my furious pace. When I write, I try to write or at the least, work on the story every single day in some fashion. That leads to a great deal of output and I hate to keep it "in the can" as it were. I don't care to get into situation where I am answering feedback to something that I wrote months ago. I know well that it can be difficult to keep up but for that reason, I try to keep my scenes somewhat short. 4 to 5 pages is the norm per scene. I hope that makes it easier to catch up.

And as always, I appreciate and thank all of you for reading and especially for giving comment. It is not why I write this or any other work, but it certainly does help keep me going. :cool:

[EDIT - I am considering putting together a Cast of Characters list. Would this be helpful? Please advise.]

Last edited:
Reactions:
It's like watching the first series of game of thrones.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's like watching the first series of game of thrones.
I suppose that is a compliment, especially since GRRM has stated that his series is largely inspired by these very Wars of the Roses.

Reactions:
S6CPexa.jpg

Westminster, October 1453

The screaming could be heard throughout the palace. Great wails mixed with grunts and swearing, mostly in French. It went on for some hours until another voice joined in...that of a newborn child. Young cries replaced that of the mother as Margaret of Anjou finally gave birth and produced the long awaited issue and heir to the crown. She was sweaty and still breathing hard as she questioned weakly, “Est-ce un garçon?”

Duchess Anne smiled to her, “Oui, madame...it is a boy...a son.”

“Donne-le moi!” she said strongly as she reached out her arms.

“Allow us a moment, my Lady Queen,” Duchess Eleanor suggested as she assisted the midwife in cleaning the child.

“Give him here!!” the Queen demanded.

As they complied, Margaret cradled the boy and wiped more from his tiny little forehead. She felt a tear as she looked on him and smiled, “Tu es mon tout petit... mon tout pour toujours.”

“A beautiful child,” Eleanor beamed as she looked on.

Anne agreed, “Hearty and healthy, my Lady. Strong already.”

“His name shall be Edward,” Margaret continued to look at him with pride, “After the Confessor...Henry’s favorite saint. It is his feast day as well, is it not?”

Eleanor gave nod, “It is, my Queen. Most fitting. And a fine reminder of Edward the third and his son the Black Prince. The epitome of the heroic knight and such ideal.”

“My Ladies??” the voice of Somerset called out from beyond the screen set up to provide the Queen her confinement, “Is all well?”

“It is a prince, my Lord!” Anne responded, “A beautiful prince!”

Margaret included her voice, “He is to be named Edward, Duke of Cornwall. From the start! Send word of glad tidings to all parts of the kingdom. We wish a Te Deum sung at Canterbury Cathedral and word sent to the King at Windsor for he must know of this glorious news!”

“Of course, my Queen,” Somerset replied, “Yet you remain in good health?”

“She is, husband,” Eleanor answered him, “Now see to her requests. The Queen shall need time to recover and it shall be some days before she may be churched and purified.”

Somerset was joined by the Archbishop, “Thanks be to God that the screaming stopped. Has she found her issue?”

“She has, Your Eminence,” the Duke replied, “In fit form still...both mother and child...a son.”

Archbishop Kempe called out from behind the screen, “The glory of God is with you, my Lady! He does provide in all of His infinite mercy. Bless you, my Lady. And blessing be also unto this glorious prince. Praise be to Almighty God for such a wondrous gift!”

“He must be baptised and soon,” Margaret answered to them, “I would choose you both as sponsors. As well as to you, Lady Anne. Spare no cost for I hold it here. All that we may do, it must be decisive.”

“To be certain, my Queen. It will be done,” Kempe responded, “Yet he must also be presented to the King for his acknowledgment.”

Somerset spoke softly to the Archbishop, “Such that he may.”

“My Lord...it is most serious,” Kempe turned to him with a firm eye, “There be no other way to confirm the child’s right to the royal succession or to make provision for him as heir.”

“Is there question to that fact?” Somerset argued with an affront.

Kempe held up his hands, “It is simply how it is done, my Lord. Parliament must be told and allowed their chance to pass legislation. Further, we must call a great council of magnates...to include them all so that they may acknowledge also and then swear their oath to his right.”

“Not York!” the Duke was insistent.

“Sir...we have not that privilege!” Kempe was adamant, “Like it not as I may, that would be seen as...the worst kind of slight and then questions may be asked. From Norfolk? Salisbury? Even Exeter! We already play dangerously, my Lord. All great magnates must be there!”

Somerset grimaced, “You would invite the fox into the house of a hen?”

“We hold little choice,” the Lord Chancellor remained certain, “As a piece of silk, it may be easily torn the more one pulls at it. His Grace remains within his state and his acknowledgment is all. If you would pester and place more to it...we may all be undone!”

“I like it not!” the Duke responded with anger, “I would call the council, but I will not include York in it. He will be more than curious and take as may at every step. I will not have it. Not for myself...and not for her!”

The Archbishop raised a brow to him, “He has lost already, sir. The birth of this child removes his request for place. Though it does occur to me that it removes yours also.”

“You would blacken my name?!” Edmund nearly shouted.

Kempe leaned in with a strong whisper, “I blacken no thing, my Lord….but you would hold respect for custom! If you wish to keep her safe...the safety of the child...you will obey the law!”

“Why do you dawdle?!” Margaret called out from her side of the screen, “I hear you and needs must rest. So does the babe. Take your action and leave us with peace.”

“Of course, Your Grace,” the Archbishop answered to her and then strongly grabbed Somerset’s arm to lead him away, “You will send out the word and speak that it is done to set rest and union between the Lords of this land for we celebrate this great happening. You will summon them all...York included...in the Queen’s name for she is the bearer of this great tiding. And you will hold your animosity for we cannot afford any other!”

Somerset pulled away, “You would tell me?!”

“Sir!” Kempe pressed, “I remain Lord Chancellor to His Grace the King and Primate of all England from my See at Canterbury. You would have a go at York? See how far that gets you. You would have a go at me? Sir...I will bury you!”

“By what means?” the Duke questioned with haughtiness.

The Archbishop merely turned back to the screen blocking the Queen in her confinement, “Confession, my Lord...it is a very powerful thing.”

End of Chapter 6

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I suppose that is a compliment, especially since GRRM has stated that his series is largely inspired by these very Wars of the Roses.
Ooo. I hated thar show. No idea how the books do it but the lack of subtlety in the supposedly big players of the kingdom rather made it clear why there would be war soon, and why, in the real world, most of them would have been killed or imprisoned rather than kept in for drama. That bloody queen comes to mind most of all.
Duchess Anne smiled to her, “Oui, madame...it is a boy...a son.”
Oh dear...
The Archbishop merely turned back to the screen blocking the Queen in her confinement, “Confession, my Lord...it is a very powerful thing.”
This is absolutely going to come up again.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ooo. I hated thar show. No idea how the books do it but the lack of subtlety in the supposedly big players of the kingdom rather made it clear why there would be war soon, and why, in the real world, most of them would have been killed or imprisoned rather than kept in for drama. That bloody queen comes to mind most of all.
The first few seasons (series to you Brits) were largely true to the books. But the fact is, as both the book series and these real life events show, these types of things happened all the time. While I have taken liberties in this story so far (Edmund Beaufort killing his brother, Margaret having affairs) much of what has occurred here is what happened IRL. Thus why it is so fascinating to study and write about. It may seem clear to us so far removed and looking at it from a modern lens, but it is all nearly true. It does seem laughable and unbelievable to us, but it is almost exactly what happened. I was counseled early on (years ago when I first starting thinking about it) to steer a new and different course. Yet I felt then and do now that the RL events were and are just as interesting so no need to stray too far away from it. The drama is ready made.

Oh dear...

This is absolutely going to come up again.
Yes. And it will.

Reactions:
Yes. And it will.
After a bit of a song and dance I suppose. It isn’t as though Kempe can just announce to everyone “The Queen told me in confession that the child is not the King’s but Somerset’s,” that’s career suicide. Rome will come down on his head like a ton of bricks for publicly violating the seal of the confessional (and potentially endangering the whole proto-intelligence system the Church likely has as every royal and noble in Europe thinks twice before stepping into the box). Kempe needs some sort of plausible alternate way that he could have gained the knowledge, and ideally get some willing proxy (York nearly breaks something jumping up to volunteer) to do it for him.

• 1Like
Reactions:
After a bit of a song and dance I suppose. It isn’t as though Kempe can just announce to everyone “The Queen told me in confession that the child is not the King’s but Somerset’s,” that’s career suicide. Rome will come down on his head like a ton of bricks for publicly violating the seal of the confessional (and potentially endangering the whole proto-intelligence system the Church likely has as every royal and noble in Europe thinks twice before stepping into the box). Kempe needs some sort of plausible alternate way that he could have gained the knowledge, and ideally get some willing proxy (York nearly breaks something jumping up to volunteer) to do it for him.
Not so much that Kempe will publicly tell the world, but it is certainly something to hang over Somerset's head. And do not forget the various spies at work. Let's just say that it does not take long for the questions to arise.

Reactions:
Chapter 7: The Question of Regency
Chapter 7: The Question of Regency

ImpIXgM.jpg

Bisham Abbey, October 1453

A long train of carts and horse trailed along the road as the small party broke off and moved slowly towards the manor house. In front stood Richard Neville, the Earl of Salisbury and his wife Lady Alice. The Earl was showing a smile as the party grew closer and the leader was quick from his mount when he arrived. Neville’s smile was not matched.

Richard of York clasped arms with the Earl of Salisbury in greeting, “Good sir…while I thank you for the hospitality, I think not to like the reason.”

“Ever the dour one, brother,” Salisbury answered with mirth, “There be time enough to speak on it yet first let me greet our guests. Sister!”

Duchess Cecily strode forth with her eldest son and hugged her brother, “I have been missing of you, Dickon. As always.”

“I could not tell from your strongly worded missives, Cis,” he replied in humor, “And who is this young buck?”

Edward held out a hand, “Well met, uncle. Tis good to see you.”

“The proper gentleman,” the Earl looked back to Richard before turning back to the boy and met the hand with his own, “Your first foray into the wild and wicked London my young Lord of March. Be certain to take a care for it can be overwhelming.”

“Of course, sir,” Edward replied with a grin.

Cecily placed a hand to her son’s shoulder, “It is indeed time for him to take his place among the magnates no matter his age. He would hold himself with all propriety, I am sure.”

“Yes he would,” Richard of York held out his arm toward the manor house, “Now...if we may?”

“Husband...” Cecily reprimanded, “...be not so curt.”

“Indeed, brother...I have not seen them in some time,” the Earl followed, “And where be your others, sister?”

She smiled to him, “Edmund remains to Ludlow to see after the young ones. He too should begin to take on his duties.”

“Tis a pity,” Salisbury offered a nod, “Yet right you are.”

“Pleasantries aside, sir...there be more important issues to discuss,” York remained impatient.

The Earl of Salisbury turned and gestured for all to follow as Lady Alice and Duchess Cecily met and greeted one another. Salisbury moved close to Richard and answered with agreement, “You will be pleased. Others are to follow. My son should be here this day and I have a surprise for you.”

“Very good,” York replied and looked back to his son, “Edward! With me!”

The young Earl of March was distracted by the activity of the carts and retinue moving past but quickly caught up, “Yes, father.”

“Let us go to the library,” the Earl suggested, “My Lady Alice will want to show Cis the house and so we hold some time before the meal.”

Richard attempted a more pleasant demeanor, “A fine manor, sir. You’ve done well to refurbish it.”

“It is a most excellent respite,” Salisbury replied as they walked, “With the Priory close by, it feels most holy.”

“Holy or not, I needs must know what happens to here,” York dropped his slight smile, “I receive notice to attend this great council and yet your words have been most cryptic. Is it true that the Queen has given forth the promise of issue?”

“We shall get to it, sir...yet where do you stay when to London?” the Earl asked.

Richard answered with some question, “The Archbishop was kind enough to offer Baynard. His words too were little and less. I was most surprised that first words came from Somerset. What happens?”

As they entered the library, Salisbury smiled to young Edward as he slowly closed the door. When he turned back to them, his smile receded, “This young Earl here will hear words that he may not understand. Yet I agree...it is time that he does. Please...sit. You will need to.”

“Ned is old enough to understand,” Richard took his seat and gestured for Edward to do the same, “He needs must know as much as I. So...pray tell, brother...what indeed is so pressing?”

The Earl of Salisbury moved to pour each of them some wine. As he turned back he looked to Richard as he offered a cup to Edward, “Old enough, sir?”

“Be careful,” Richard looked to his son but gave nod. He then looked back to the Earl, “So please do speak, my Lord. I tire of this banter.”

Salisbury retreated to his own chair and then looked to York with great seriousness, “Yes...it is true. The Queen has given issue. A child named Edward and called Duke of Cornwall. He has already been baptised and sponsored in such by Somerset...”

“What?!” York was apoplectic, “Where was Henry??”

The Earl dipped his head for a moment before looking back, “He was...is...not able.”

“Not able?” Richard questioned with great confusion, “What does that mean?!”

“It means...” Salisbury hesitated, “...we do not know. The King is unwell and housed to the now at Windsor. It has been thus for some time as it comes to my knowing only recently. I did not wish to hold my words to courier so I waited to tell you in person. Too many might take such information and use it for ill gains. Yet it is we...we that must be smart, Richard. We that must be careful.”

Richard of York was entirely shocked and confused, “What is wrong with him and when did this happen?”

“It is unknown,” Salisbury replied, “It is said that he took ill in the autumn. It has been difficult to suss out the truth of it from the others to Council. Buckingham...Kempe? They have all been tight lipped. As has been Somerset. In truth, it comes to my hearing that at first you were not to be invited to this great council yet he did relent in the end and thus sent you message.”

A knock to the door interrupted them and Salisbury rose to answer. He did not smile as he opened it and invited his son the Earl of Warwick into the room, “My Lord...my son.”

“All apologies, sirs,” Warwick entered and gave nod to young Edward, “It was a hard ride from Yorkshire. The Percies continue to kick up dust and my brothers were in need.”

“The Percies may wait,” Salisbury gestured him to a chair and sat once more, “We are in a dire time for the kingdom and I was just informing our Lord of York of these latest developments.”

Warwick poured a cup of wine and then sat with alacrity, “It is true, uncle. From what father tells me, we are at great crises. We are unruled...and unruly if the Percy clan be a guide. More to that...the peace with France...”

“Peace with France?!” Richard stood with strength and stood over them, “What in the blazes of hell is going on to here, sirs?!”

“Father...” young Edward attempted to calm him.

“Silence, boy!” Richard shouted before looking to the Earls with great question, “I have been gone from Westminster for barely a year and already things break down into chaos? Is this Somerset or some other?!”

Salisbury looked to him with a worried eye, “It is some other, my Lord. Something that cannot be explained. The King has taken ill and may not govern. I fear that some few have tried to in his name...and held us all to ignorance.”

“What is wrong with him?!” Richard pressed with irritation, “I ask again...what keeps him unwell?!”

Warwick stood to answer him, “It is unknown, sir. And to tease from those that may know is like trying to pull milk from a bull.”

“And now with the birth of this son...this heir...” Salisbury followed from his seat, “...it is said that the King must recognize him and yet he cannot.”

Richard remained with shock, “Has it been tried?”

“It has,” Salisbury replied with sadness.

“And?!” Richard questioned quickly.

The elder Earl shook his head, “There was...no reply.”

The Duke of York emptied his cup of wine and moved to pour another. As he thought he asked over his shoulder, “Where be the Queen at the now?”

“She remains to confinement,” Salisbury answered, “She is to be churched and purified soon. At the now, we are governed by the Lord Chancellor...”

“And Somerset, to be sure!” Richard turned to them with anger.

Warwick followed, “Indeed...and Buckingham, one assumes. Their minions.”

Richard of York was quite out of sorts and moved to the window in thought. He tried to calm himself and looked to his son for a time before turning to the others, “There is so much wrong here, sirs. I simply cannot believe we have reached this place. An incapacitated King? A Queen certain to rule on her own once she is back to us? And this peace? Explain to me again this peace?!”

“A goodly amount of coin is promised,” Warwick suggested, “But...the gains of Talbot will not be recognized.”

“By God!!” Richard exclaimed, “This has the hands of the Queen all over it! She would always rule for her own!”

Salisbury included, “Yet they remain to war with Mantua. France remains on fire even if given respite.”

“Which we never should have given them!” Richard demanded, “Where be the Lord of Shrewsbury?”

“Lord Talbot is to return to Calais,” Warwick informed.

Richard showed wide eyes, “He should return to here, sirs! We are in need of him!”

“Calm yourself, brother,” Salisbury stood and moved to him, “There be time enough for we hold this summit...this council. All of the great magnates and lessor ones will be there. Both temporal and spiritual. Here is your moment...should you wish it.”

“Have I a choice?!” Richard answered with certainty.

Warwick stood to him and gave nod, “You do not, uncle.”

“And it is time for you to play the finest diplomat,” Salisbury followed him, “Forgive the surely intended slight from Somerset and instead focus on those Lords able to assist. You will find a following the more that is known. To a man, there are many that dislike this circumstance and only you may pull them together.”

“If you are able,” Warwick suggested, “If you may hold calm and take your certainly deserved place.”

Richard looked to them with a wide eye, “This is insanity, my Lords!”

“It is...indeed,” Salisbury gestured towards the door, “And my surprise is to help you understand. And mayhap bring to you a homecoming.”

The Duke of York watched as the Earl of Salisbury opened the door and invited his guests into the library. Cecily entered first with their eldest child and Anne smiled as she saw her father for the first time in years, “Papa!!”

“My sweet Anne,” Richard held her to a large hug for a long time and then looked over her shoulder, “And yet...who is this?”

“Papa...” Anne looked up to him with a plea to her eyes, “...tis my husband.”

Cecily fixed him a gaze and cautioned, “Be kind, sir.”

“He need not be kind, my Lady,” the Duke of Exeter replied as he moved forth and placed his arm over his wife’s shoulder, “For I think him to be in need of me...once again. Well met, my Lord.”

“Ned!!” Anne exclaimed as she moved to hug her brother and Richard watched his children with some pride.

Edward smiled as he returned her embrace, “You are much taller!”

“My dear...” Cecily suggested to Lady Alice, “...let us take these two and allow this group their consternation. It shall be more pleasant for us, I be sure.”

The Countess of Salisbury agreed and as they removed themselves, Exeter turned back to Richard, “We shall have a fine time this night...father. All happy families...for the now.”

“You will tell me all that you know!” Richard offered no comfort to his son in law.

Henry Holland smiled, “I will indeed, sir. For you shall need it. As I be certain that these fine Lords have suggested...it is time for you to gather support. I was there that night, sir...or that morning. And I may tell you...we are in great need of your talents.”

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Finally, can make the comment.

Of course the (fragile) truce between the Union of Filcats and the Palace of eu4 helps the motivation behind being able to comment in proper conscience.

But another reason is the main factor for rushing to the AAR to post the comment.

Therefore, starting from the basics;

This is the most confident work you have created so far. Its advantage of being the current instalment in the story does not render the value of the appreciation in that regard. The opening certainly has improved into the phase of the writAAR with the certain trust in the readAARs, so much that it can be considered in the cold scale by moving beyond the names and letting the eyes reading the words to dream upon the roles bestowed. This becomes especially beautiful such as Blackheath, May 1452 is considered.

While the bravery in employing the available narrative tools was already promising in your writing, such that seen in The Rightful King with the patience of baking the architecture of the story until The Bold Prince, this time the words are conjured with the certain direction of the plot to unfold. It is also true that God Willing and the Creek Do Rise outshines among all the others by unchaining the writAAR’s self-expectations, yet the words of The Wars of the Roses roar in their confidence. It does have the fabric to sail by the winds of the history, yet it does not insist to limit itself by depending on it entirely.

On the other hand, dooming certain characters in the abstract borders of nature, such as Margaret, seems to be an easy workaround, but the sea is open for the dreams of the words to rush over the waves to tell the story from the mind of its writAAR. The poise has enough experience to incorporate the comedy of the situation-happenings-incidents, just as the multitude of henrys and richards is rightfully acknowledged by the characters.

Now, carrying on but back to the main reason;

The original plan was to embark on …the Creek Do Rise, for that one has the tune to dance over the words, whereas this one has surprisingly the priority. Naturally it was also the wish to comment on the previous AARs in the series, but they are already behind the laws of necro-wall.

This AAR, as aforementioned during the gathering, is able to trigger an insistence for self on it to be read, but the reasoning not be named properly, remained as a mystery to self. It is also surprising from the personal preferences, as in yes it is eu4, but more so, it is about the isles, which incurs for self absolute zero (delta_entropy = zero) interest for its history.

Yet, still obsessively reading it thus far. The quality of its writing has been considered as a backup reason in the course, but that is by default, as it is written by you. Thus, yes, have been following and re-reading it but could not understand the reason for own mania for it. Maybe because it is a retelling (of the story and also the previous one-shot AAR) but with great dialogues; naaah, that is again a praise for the writing, so it is there intrinsically. Maybe the format, which is far superior than before, but that does not satisfy as an answer.

The reason was found yesterday. It took a day to post, as there was an error in the forum servers to login. Therefore, finally, relieved by realising why frenetically reading the Wars of the Roses;

The opening image was the lightning reference for the phantom memories to emerge. Since then it is a bookmark, followed, read, re-read, and re-read even more.

It is the nostalgia.

1651284226480.jpeg
1651284241878.jpeg
[*]

Grateful for the memories brought up by this.

And of course, kudos.

[*] Still images from the opening sequence of Kingmaker, by TM Games (1993), based on the boardgame with the same name.
Edit: Change of filcatic-naming-convention of the game.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Yet I felt then and do now that the RL events were and are just as interesting so no need to stray too far away from it. The drama is ready made.
I must humbly and regretfully disagree here. Certainly the events are interesting and there is indeed much to build on and flesh out, which has been most skilfully done by your good self. But, if the outcome is fixed and the intermediate points known then it drains the story of tension. I suppose in compensation there is lashings of dramatic irony, but I confess I would sacrifice that in exchange for some suspense as to the outcome and the simple pleasure of being able to speculate on future events, without the dampener of knowing what is going to happen. All that said I continue to very much enjoy this work and absolutely support you telling the story you wish to tell, whatever certain readers may think. ;)

To the last update I must say that Exeter is a well drawn character already despite his few lines. There is a lazy confidence to him that trips over into arrogance, doubtless that is part of the spiky relationship between him and York. While his information will be invaluable, what the Yorkist side needs is more people counselling patience and cunning, two things I doubt Exeter specialises in.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Fb-fb:

Finally, can make the comment.

Of course the (fragile) truce between the Union of Filcats and the Kingdom of eu4 helps the motivation behind being able to comment in proper conscience.

But another reason is the main factor for rushing to the AAR to post the comment.

Therefore, starting from the basics;

This is the most confident work you have created so far. Its advantage of being the current instalment in the story does not render the value of the appreciation in that regard. The opening certainly has improved into the phase of the writAAR with the certain trust in the readAARs, so much that it can be considered in the cold scale by moving beyond the names and letting the eyes reading the words to dream upon the roles bestowed. This becomes especially beautiful such as Blackheath, May 1452 is considered.

While the bravery in employing the available narrative tools was already promising in your writing, such that seen in The Rightful King with the patience of baking the architecture of the story until The Bold Prince, this time the words are conjured with the certain direction of the plot to unfold. It is also true that God Willing and the Creek Do Rise outshines among all the others by unchaining the writAAR’s self-expectations, yet the words of The Wars of the Roses roar in their confidence. It does have the fabric to sail by the winds of the history, yet it does not insist to limit itself by depending on it entirely.

On the other hand, dooming certain characters in the abstract borders of nature, such as Margaret, seems to be an easy workaround, but the sea is open for the dreams of the words to rush over the waves to tell the story from the mind of its writAAR. The poise has enough experience to incorporate the comedy of the situation-happenings-incidents, just as the multitude of henrys and richards is rightfully acknowledged by the characters.

Now, carrying on but back to the main reason;

The original plan was to embark on …the Creek Do Rise, for that one has the tune to dance over the words, whereas this one has surprisingly the priority. Naturally it was also the wish to comment on the previous AARs in the series, but they are already behind the laws of necro-wall.

This AAR, as aforementioned during the gathering, is able to trigger an insistence for self on it to be read, but the reasoning not be named properly, remained as a mystery to self. It is also surprising from the personal preferences, as in yes it is eu4, but more so, it is about the isles, which incurs for self absolute zero (delta_entropy = zero) interest for its history.

Yet, still obsessively reading it thus far. The quality of its writing has been considered as a backup reason in the course, but that is by default, as it is written by you. Thus, yes, have been following and re-reading it but could not understand the reason for own mania for it. Maybe because it is a retelling (of the story and also the previous one-shot AAR) but with great dialogues; naaah, that is again a praise for the writing, so it is there intrinsically. Maybe the format, which is far superior than before, but that does not satisfy as an answer.

The reason was found yesterday. It took a day to post, as there was an error in the forum servers to login. Therefore, finally, relieved by realising why frenetically reading the Wars of the Roses;

The opening image was the lightning reference for the phantom memories to emerge. Since then it is a bookmark, followed, read, re-read, and re-read even more.

It is the nostalgia.

[*]

Grateful for the memories brought up by this.

And of course, kudos.

[*] Still images from the opening sequence of Kingmaker, by TM Games (1993), based on the boardgame with the same name.
First of all, thank you very much for catching up and responding. I am really pleased that you are enjoying it and blush at the compliments given. I also thank you for looking back at the Wessex saga. While I do think you could leave comment there without running afoul of the necro rules (which are mainly to keep people from bumping long dead or dormant AARs), it is probably best to leave them to the dustbin of page 2 or 3 by this date. Other more deserving current works should find placement on page 1.

As to Kingmaker the game (mostly the boardgame) while I have never played it, I have never once met someone that had that did not have great positive memories of it. And of course Warwick is a fascinating character just on his own. That said, while I do appreciate Shakespeare (and have read my fair share of his works due to being a trained and credentialed actor - for whatever that means or provides to me at this late date) I do have a rather complicated view of his efforts at history. Writing as he was for a Tudor court, I find much of it propagandist rather then "good" history. Most especially his take on Richard III. I have an ongoing "feud" off forum with one of my longest and closest friends in that I argue that Vladimir Nabokov is a far superior writer than dear Bill Shakespeare. He will counter that Nabokov is simply a practitioner of wordplay and alliteration at which point I will contend that Bill was a hack! This happens every time. Then we will move on to deconstruct and debate the merits of Thin Lizzy, The Scorpions or Golden Earring (or whichever other band we've both decided to delve into once again.) It's all in good fun, of course. But I remain disappointed in how Richard III has gone down in history largely as a result from one Billy Shakespeare writing to please his Tudor Queen and patron.

I must humbly and regretfully disagree here. Certainly the events are interesting and there is indeed much to build on and flesh out, which has been most skilfully done by your good self. But, if the outcome is fixed and the intermediate points known then it drains the story of tension. I suppose in compensation there is lashings of dramatic irony, but I confess I would sacrifice that in exchange for some suspense as to the outcome and the simple pleasure of being able to speculate on future events, without the dampener of knowing what is going to happen. All that said I continue to very much enjoy this work and absolutely support you telling the story you wish to tell, whatever certain readers may think. ;)
I think this is a very valid point and believe me when I say that I am mindful of that. However, notice that I say "not stray too far" rather than "not stray at all." I can say now that I have a major departure point planned for the future (which was part the reason I wanted to write this in the first place) and perhaps some few others depending on how the game portion works, but we are not there yet. While we have already seen some minor alterations, most of what has been written thus far may be seen as putting all the players on the stage or putting the pieces of the puzzle on the board. I was not going to create Margaret as a paragon of virtue or Henry as the very model of the Kingly sovereign. I mean...I could have...but it might beg disbelief. It also allows some shorthand as I try to bring these various characters to life. We're still quite early in the timeline so at this early stage I am definitely steering close to what was known in OTL. Shoot...I have played only about 10 years in the game.

Things will most definitely change so there should be (hopefully) plenty of chance to speculate and find suspense. At least if I do it right.

To the last update I must say that Exeter is a well drawn character already despite his few lines. There is a lazy confidence to him that trips over into arrogance, doubtless that is part of the spiky relationship between him and York. While his information will be invaluable, what the Yorkist side needs is more people counselling patience and cunning, two things I doubt Exeter specialises in.
And speaking of the above, Exeter is a case of me deciding he should be this way in use of the plot. While his history thus far is that of his historical one, I am using some license as to how I depict him. He is quite younger than his peers and that seemed prime to show in him some cockiness and as you say, arrogance. Glad you are enjoying that.

Reactions:
That said, while I do appreciate Shakespeare (and have read my fair share of his works due to being a trained and credentialed actor - for whatever that means or provides to me at this late date) I do have a rather complicated view of his efforts at history. Writing as he was for a Tudor court, I find much of it propagandist rather than "good" history.
It is redundant to say, but; Yes, concurred.

And no, cannot even bestow the word appreciation for that chap, or for the works. They are numerous though; prolific production can be a point. But still, every time an actor spurting a comment about that chap being the most [insert random adjective] writer brings a sudden turn of head with closed eyes, hand on forehead, and a thunderous headache of despair.

Yet the legacy of those works indirectly gave the world Dame Judi Dench, Dame Maggie Smith, Dame Vanessa Redgrave, Mia Farrow, Dame Helen Mirren, Sinéad Cusack, Whoopi Goldberg, Dame Emma Thompson, Viola Davis, Emily Watson, Moses Ingram, and some more others (lol, the list is nowhere near exhaustive); so some credit is due. Or few. Sort of.

On the other hand, the more curious part that prompted now this post is that lightning-transition; that from the images of an obscure game of 90s given as the nostalgia-reason, to the case of Willy-chap the Hack against Vladka, and from there to end up in Thin Lizzy (“all right…”), Scorpions (“meh”), Golden Earrings (“now we’re talking”). All the while the intention was to point out own reason for obsessing with the AAR, and that reason was the game, rather than the shakey-chap.

That lightning-transition is beautiful.

Can only counter-reply it with an abrupt-transition, so sharp that it can be considered as a shock-cut;
Have you ever seen the 1981 film Scanners directed by David Cronenberg? This might be York's reaction...
No, the actual question should be: "How many times have you seen the 1981 film Scanners directed by David Cronenberg? This might be York's reaction..."
Of course the answer is it will never be enough.

Now. Back to re-reading. 5th time. See you on the other side.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, a bastard is technically the "rightful heir" right now.

That's going to cause a lot of conflict. Like ASOIAF's Blackfyre Rebellions

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think this is a very valid point and believe me when I say that I am mindful of that. However, notice that I say "not stray too far" rather than "not stray at all." I can say now that I have a major departure point planned for the future (which was part the reason I wanted to write this in the first place) and perhaps some few others depending on how the game portion works, but we are not there yet.
Well that is excellent news, I do look forward to finding out what it is.

On a personal note I also hope that at some point you do recover from the terrible brain injury that has left you thinking that Nabokov is even worth reading, let alone better than Shakespeare. Because there can be no other explanation for such catastrophically incorrect opinions.
DYAEiOu.gif

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
  • 1Haha
Reactions: