• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We are trying to play a bit ahead but I got an update coming. I'm working my historian's corner on the european 7 years war

L'État, c'est moi

L'ÉTAT, C'EST MOI
(background music recommended: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdOBusgS4ao)

Versaille's Palace, Continental France, New Year celebrations, January the first, 1756
palace_of_versailles_wallpaper-normal_zps621a4180.jpg

The court was all lights and music, while the King and his favorite, the Marquise de Pompadour, were dancing. Dozens of nobles were encouraging them while others were making court to the young and pretty ladies of the court. Versailles was engaged in one of his great ball, celebrating a new year in the most magnificient palace of the earth, the symbol of the most powerful monarchy of Europe. Champagne was making everybody happy while the King was smiling, for he was young, powerful, in love and oblivious of the rest.
fete_chateau_versailles_occas_hi_zps4ff6f626.jpg

In the antichamber of the king's secret appartment, not far from there, a little group of noble were not engaged in this frivolous feast. They were the consellors of the King and they were worried. They knew how precarious the position of France really was and were begining to despair of Louis the Well Loved, Louis le Bien-Aimé, the nickname the people were giving their King. Always too undecisive, Louis XV was letting his favorite dictate many political choices and the effect were disastrous. War was brewing. In North America, the British were already attacking France. Worse, the Royal Navy broked the peace in the summer and illegaly captured 300 merchants ships. 300! They even captured a good part of the help the counselors convinced the King to send to New-France. In Germany, Frederick of Prussia was mobilising, ready to strike against Austrian Silesia. France could not allow this upstart to change the balance of power in Europe, especially not if it meant diminishing France's power...

The doors opened so fast it took them by surprise. The king entered a room, madame de Pompadour at his side. "Bonne année messieurs les ministres" was all they could heard before the king passed before him with his favorite, locking themselves up in the bedroom. The ministers tried to continue to work on their map and the project they needed to present to the king while hearing the noise of the galant adventure of their King. Maybe thirty minutes after, the King came to see them. "I'm tired messieurs. You can leave your papers here, I will read them tomorow. Madame is waiting."

746px-Franccedilois_Boucher_019_Madame_de_Pompadour_zpsbf080ea6.jpg

Madame la Marquise de Pompadour, Louis XV's favorite and the most detested women in France. Her supposed influence over the king was revolting the common people and tarnished Louis's reputation.

In the morning, the ministers were looking at the court, where all the ambassadors were gathered to present their greeting to the King. Suddenly, the crowd fell silent: the king had entered the room. He was clad in armor, sword to his side. He went directly to the English ambassador and admonished him for nearly 5 minutes before sending him away. He then convoqued his ministers. Very much to their surprise, he told them that he had read the reports they left him in the night. He had decided to act. He gave them the order to reinforce the armies on the frontier, to make a public declaration that any action against his Austrian allies would be considered an attack upon himself and that he would react accordingly. "And now, I'm going to the hunt. Au revoir messieurs".

119764_zpsb8e261e3.jpg

Louis XV dit le Bien-Aimé (nicknamed the beloved), in armor. He wasn't a belligerant king like Louis XIV and didn't wanted to expand France's border in Europe very much. But he was involved in many wars, nearly always to the advantage of other and always weakening France itself.

The Marquis Duquesne de Menneville, admiral of the fleet and ex-governor of New-France found the courage to ask to the rapidly marching king : "Mais sire, et la Nouvelle-France? Will we let her fall to the English?"The king shouted back, already thinking of something else: "send a little something there as well."

The "little something" would be the last chance of the Nouvelle-France. The ministers knew it. They rapidly organised a relief force to defend France's vast North-American empire.

Historian's corner: World War Prequel.

The Seven Years War was the first global war of history. Battle were fought everywhere in the world, from the forest of North America to the plains of Europe and India and the seas of Asia. While it started on our front in 1754, the war is officially declared in August 1756, when Frederick the Great and his Prussians armies invaded one of the richest german states and an important ally of the Austrian Empire, Saxony. War erupted between Austria and her allies, Russia and France against Prussia and her only ally: Great Britain. The drama for New-France was that the two major powers in Europe, France and Great-Britain, took completly different strategies: France went Europe first, aiming to defeat Frederick and to capture Hannover, the german possession of the English crown and her mediteranean fortress of Minorque. After that, an invasion would be planned of England proper. North America would be defended with a minimum of troop, as France was sure to take it back with victory in Europe.

Carte_Guerre_de_Sept_Ans_Europe_zps98c7f04e.png

The British took the completly opposed gamble: she put nearly 80% of her considerable ressources in the war against New-France, aiming to destroy the French colonial empire while sending Frederick just enough help to ensure that he maintained a stalemate in Europe. So, New France would be facing the might of the British empire with only a minimum of help while the British would aim at capturing her as fast as possible.

This minimum of help would be formed of a small number of regular battalions commanded by a veteran commander: the Marquis de Montcalm. His main force would be his indians allies and the colony own's forces. New-France population of around 100 000 inhabitants in 1755 would mobilisate nearly 30 000 militiamens, the biggest mobilisation ratio recorded in history. It would be a war of survival and New-France had no intention of being exterminated like Acadia.

A fascinating look at France's strategy and how it was completely mismatched against the British (although it's easy to see why the French would want to maintain the balance of power in Continental Europe first).

Let's see how your reinforcements - and the incredible Montcalm - affect the balance of power in your game. I'm looking forward to the upcoming turns. :)

gah, how could I have not posted anything here yet! This is one of my favorite AGEOD campaigns, and as a historybook AAR-er I very much enjoy the attempt to make a hybrid historybook AGEOD AAR. I'll follow this with much interest!

February 1756 - April 1756 - The Niagara expedition

Yes, you might spot a little overlap on the date. This is normal :). Short update too for the end of the winter.

Situation_zps002ed58b.jpg

In February, I have a golden opportunity... the Mohawk valley unfroze for some reason.

This will enable me to prepare a surprise to the French. An attack on Fort Niagara at the very beginning of the year, before they can muster significant troops, especially Indians ! Once Niagara is in my hands, I will be able to land wherever I want on the Great Lakes, and for instance threaten Montreal at all time !

The plan is laid out, and this time it looks good :

Turn12Expedition_zpsc70eaf2d.jpg

Unfortunately, in March, while the Mohawk valley is still clear, the rest of the region is still frozen, so the rest of the expedition cannot carry on toward the emplacement of the future Fort Oswego :

Turn13Toomuchsnow_zpsd54c1e19.jpg

In April, there is some weird thingie with winter, as can sometimes happen (there is a mod against this, btw), and the Mohawk valley is not frozen, and everything that was frozen is now unfrozen... Weird.

Due to this, I cannot raid Fort Niagara immediately, but I decide to stop in one important Iroquois village on the way. Some Mohican scouts will have a look at the enemy position, though :

Turn14FortNiagaraExpedition_zps76561cff.jpg

May is the beginning of the new campaigning season, so that will be for next time (very soon).

Meanwhile, two important events :

- The Cherokees join my side. Cool guys :

Turn13CHerokee_zps08dbe99d.jpg

- I "bought" some merchant ships. Putting those in the Naval trade those where I have no ships yet will bring me 1 EP by turn, so it is paid back quite rapidly.

Turn14Experiment_zps0a03f22a.jpg

Last edited:
Some "interesting" weather you are getting there!

If you do take Fort Niagara does that allow you to build a naval prescence on the great lakes? Sounds like the summer of 1756 is going to get lively.

Can (could) your opponent see any of these moves, or does it all take place in an area where he has no 'vision'? It's a bold move, but it strikes me as risky to send a force to Niagara when the French are lurking to the north of Albany - on the other hand, if he can't see you're peeling off forces to head west, it wouldn't alert him to the fact that your position around Albany is weakened.

I can't see anything in those region if I don't have scouts there. But i have scouts everywhere ;)

Un petit quelque chose

April 1756, Québec
The music was loud, the shouts of the population were overwhelming as the fleet was approching the docks. The Marquis de Vaudreuil, Gouverneur Général de la Nouvelle France, was standing in front of the crowd, watching with apprehension the new commander in chief of the army in New France, the Marquis de Montcalm. He was standing on the frigate La Licorne, one of the fastest ship in the world. His army was following on the frigates La Sauvage and La Sirène. Three ships of the line were closing the convoy: Le Léopard, Le Héros and L'Illustre. On board were the little something the King ordered his ministers to send to New-France: a small but elite force of french regulars, well armed and trained, with a cunning commander and competents officers. 4 regulars batalions disbarked from the ships, along with many canons, and presented arms to their commander.

miliciensdemontcalm_20070116_013847_zpsf144ce2a.jpg

The Marquis de Montcalm, commander in chief of the French Forces in New France, veteran of 2 european wars passing a review of his troops

The crowd were cheering while Montcalm paid his respect to Vaudreuil. The governor invited him and his officers to a private diner. While wine and fine food were served, Montcalm presented to the Canadians officers his principals officers.

ChevalierdeLeacutevis_zpsc1a9f21b.jpg

His second in command, the brilliant Chevalier (knight) de Lévis, Brigadier and Montcalm's second in command. He was a really charismatic officer, with great training experience and a good adaptation capacity.

Unit_FRA_Bourlamaque_zps912acfd4.png

His third in command would be the brigadier De Boulamarque, a typical french officer, well trained and great at defensive operations.

After those presentation, Vaudreuil's brother, the Chevalier de Rigaud, made a rapid presentation of the present situation and of Vaudreuil's plans for the upcoming campain. The most pressing menace was the growing presence of english forces in the Iroquois valley. General Johnson with many regiments were having parley with the Iroquois leader near Lake Ontario and could rapidly threathen Fort Niagara, especially if the Iroquois joined forces with them. And all our indians allies were sending us information about the imminent war with the Iroquois. Vaudreuil had decided that a preemtive strike was needed. First, it would weaken the Iroquois Confederation as a threat to New-France and second, it would create a no man's land between the 13 colonies and New France, thus weakening the strenght of the hordes of Red Coats who could march against Fort Niagara. This operation would be leaded by light canadians forces with the help of the french regulars already in place in New France, the batalion de la Reine (Queen's own) and Royal Languedoc. While reinforcement were rushed to Fort Niagara from Montréal and Fort Duquesne, Major Dumas and all the indians and irregular in the region would try to ambush any forces that advanced on Fort Niagara.

461px-Marquis_de_Boisheacutebert_-_Charles_Deschamps_de_Boisheacutebert_et_de_Raffetot_1753_McCord_Museum_McGill_zps73f05502.jpg

Charles Deschamps de Boishébert et de Raffetot, one of the most famous officers of the colony, hero of the resistance in Acadia and the terror of Maine and New Hampshire

250px-Louis-Philippe_Rigaud_de_Vaudreuil_mg_9493_zpsb32cd645.jpg

The Chevalier de Rigaud, Vaudreuil own's brother and the most ranked canadian officer in the colony. A gifted general who would take command of the colonial army defending the central front around Fort Niagara and supervise the destruction of the Iroquois confederacy (this portrait is in reality his father but i didn't found anything else)

Two diversions would also be organised. Acadian leader Boishébert de Raffetot and his acadians raiders would lead the three Micmacs tribes from Northern Acadia and raid Maine and New Hampshire. Abénakis and Hurons reinforcement would join them from Québec, under the command of one of Montcalm's officers, the Comte de Malartic. Their objective would be to force the red coats to protect the colonist in those states and to burn as many forts they could, especially Fort Halifax. The other operation would be leaded by Montcalm himself and his regular forces. He would be operating in the Lake Champlain area, with the objective of creating a forward base at Carillon, with the logistical capacity of sustaining the main army of the colony and lock the entry of New France to english forces coming from Albany. As Montcalm remarqued, "Carillon and Louisbourg are the keys of Canada, should any fall, Québec and Montréal would be menaced and New-France could be subdued in one campaign". After the dessert, all officers began to plan their own operation and they all leaved the capital in the next days, toward war and glory.

2631956209_7b30c0b3d9_z_zps7091930d.jpg

Canadian regulars "Compagnie Franche de la Marine" mobilising for the upcoming campaign

Historian's corner: Montcalm vs Vaudreuil

One of the most interesting debate in the french and indian war historiography is the oppositon between Montcalm and Vaudreuil during the war. Even if recent works have downsised it's importance, this conflict had important consequences. Vaudreuil and Montcalm were two brilliant strategist. The two of them were veterans of long and tough wars and were persuaded to have the best strategy to save New France. Vaudreuil emphasised the "canadian" style of warfare, nicknamed the "petite guerre", with constant raiding deep in enemy territory, ambushing ennemies and destroying they logistical base and will to fight. This strategy gained the small armies of New-France a fearsome reputation. It's always weird to read old colonial newspapers from the 13 colonies talking about "God's wrath" when speaking of our way of war and the real panick it provoqued. The different states were always fearful of sending their force to invade New France as the feared of loosing them in ambush or to let their cities undefended while their troops were away. The best exemple of this strategy is surely the defeat of Braddock's expedition.

Montcalm in the other war, had differents idea. He was a veteran of the wars in Europe, having fought in large battles with tens of thousands of soldiers, horsemen and hundreds of canons firing. He besieged great fortresses and shown tactical skills and courage that made the court naming him him in New France. His mission was clear: defend Canada as long as he could so that France kept a bridgehead in the New World and take back her land with the peace treaty. His second objective was to keep the honour of the King's arm, and thus, defeating the ennemy wherever he could. He wanted to fight the english on their own terms: with open field battle between regular armies, leaving the iregulars forces of canadian militia and natives allies a support role while he besieged enemies fort and vanquished his armies.

For the first part of the war, he was compelled to obey to the strategic orders of Vaudreuil, who controled the tiny and unsufficient logistical capacity of the colony. As commander in chief of the armies, he could make all the tactical decision he wanted but he was still subordinated to Vaudreuil, who force him and his french forces to keep a support role of the canadian's style strategy that gained victory after victory in North America. But Montcalm was lobbying Versailles to take the overall command and needed only a great victory or that Vaudreuil's suffered a great setback to take command.

As i said in the introduction of this AAR, I will switch my gameplay to represent this conflict following future events.

Last edited:
May 1756 - August 1756 - Indians vs Indians

In May 1756, the new campaign starts as the Militia are called to arms.

Turn15NewWarSeason_zps8e6b90a2.jpg

As militias are getting more and more, with a peak in July ...

Turn17NewGuys_zps43419a1c.jpg

... additional regular forces arrive by Bateaux to the front, in Albany, the last stronghold before the front.

Turn15Shipped_zpseaeb619b.jpg

In August, as the combats intensify, I receive even more reinforcements are coming, that should help me stop the French onslaught...

- A large regular force with a commander allowing me to train more troops, in New York

Turn18EarlLoundon_zpsff95f96d.jpg

- An Elite Force, in Philadelphia

Turn18ROyalRifles_zps0d7bde93.jpg

But now, to the campaigns :

MayAUgust_zps96ffc970.jpg

1. Battle for the Iroquois lands

In May 1756, the English Niagara expedition reaches the Iroquois "capital", Geneseo. The English and Native forces are merged, while scouts are sent ahead.

Turn15Eye_zps1e5e30e2.jpg

Unfortunately, the scouting is a failure, as the scouts prefer to flee as a very large enemy force approaches...

Turn17Merge_zpsf8efec0a.jpg

Given the size of the enemy force, the English, rather than move against Fort Niagara, decide to wait the French and to ready for battle :

Turn16Theguards_zps436f5eca.jpg

The French, confident in their superior skill in wild battlefields, attack nonetheless. The battle is a disaster for the English :

Turn18DisasteratGEneseao_zpsf6dd8bd6.jpg

Despite their defensive position, countless Indians are killed, including their leader Sangarecha (reminds me of something... that guy must be cursed). The English are thown into disarray.

Turn18DefeatRetreat_zps9bb947b2.jpg

[the blue arrows are not correct, since that strong French force, of course, first attacked Geneseo]

For the Iroquois, neutral if favorable to the English so far, this is a major offense, and they join my side as a single man !

The orders sent at this point are complicated. Here is what they look like :

Turn18complicatedeso_zps2f4ce7cd.jpg

And here is a clearer explanation :

Turn18Explained_zpsad2d05e4.jpg

I am afraid the French are going to assault village after village of the Iroquois. On the other side, I believe they overcommitted, and thus I believe Niagara is not protected - a golden opportunity.

For this reason, the orders are as follow :

- The Natives, fast and sneaky, will regroup South of Niagara to raid it by surprise
- Meanwhile, the bulk of the English force will retreat
- But some "dispensable" colonials will garrison the Iroquois village so the French cannot assault them without paying an hefty cost !

What will happen now ?

2. The Wilderness Front

Meanwhile, in the wilderness of the Maine, the French are opening a secondary front in June. A force of Natives led by a French officer and helped by Coureurs are attacking the few Indians loyal to the English crown.

Turn16WarCrimes_zps92324707.jpg

In July, the crime is committed, and the peaceful village of the Penoobscots is attacked, and razed !

Turn17Warcrime2_zpsec53ceaa.jpg

One month later, Fort Western is under attack, but troops could be rushed into its defense, so the French prefer not to assault.

Turn18Crimes_zps53fd42ff.jpg

3. Very Welcomed Allies in the Duquesne Area

Far away from the front, in Cherokee territory, Fort Loundon is build in July, sealing the alliance between the two Great Nations.

Two Cherokees war parties join my side :

Turn17WarParty_zpsc49d9b5b.jpg

They are immediately sent to Fort Duquesne, to jauge the defenses and, if possible, take it by surprise.

Turn17TheGreatFortDuquesneRaid_zpse5987ed8.jpg

Unfortunately, the defense proved too strong (no picture, sorry), and and Cherokees are sent North, with the other natives, to prepare the Fort Niagara surprise attack?

4. Mop-up in Acadia

In June 1756, my forces in Acadia are finally ready to take the last French outpost - Grandpré :

Turn16GrandPrDest_zps924f0d88.jpg

The siege would last until August. In August, disappointed by the refusal of the French to surrender, the order to assault is given :

Turn18AssaultInAcadia_zps3656c492.jpg

Grandpré fell to a vigorous assault, finally securing Acadia to the English.

Turn20Atlast_zps9fd2937e.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to say what a great AAR this is a brilliant mix of gameplay and historical information! If I but had the time to play more than 1 game at once WIA would be there at the top of the list.

WiA is the game I always come back to. I always feel a "RoP" and "RUS" weariness after playing them, but never WiA as the campaigns are so different.

I must second this, both the narrative and the gameplay skill are impressive. Keep up the good work.

Thank you. Your comment is appreciated. I am impressed by my opponent "writing skill" myself, to be honest :) This was unexpected (he did not want to write at all at the beginning, and then not in English as it is not his "native" language.

And I third this, I love the mixture though perhaps I would prefer at least couple of screenshots of the French side

Also I came across this today and thought I share it

http://strategyandtacticsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/ST277-p6-13.pdf

Thank you for the link. I would like to, as well, so I can spy him better :)

I don't know which side is winning at this time (the present in the AAR, not in your actual game), but I had kind of expected a stronger British attack by now. So going by my poorly reasoned gut feeling, I'd say the French are doing better than they originally did and hence so far this is General_Hoth's game to lose and Narwhal's game to win. Of course, it's really far too early to say anything about the final outcome.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the various strokes and counterstrokes. Looks good, looks interesting.

You will be surprised in the next update. It gets very hot, very rapidly for one side. But which one ?

Any idea when the next update is coming? Great AAR by the way.

Well, it is bacK. I am sorry, I have been busy lately and wanted to close the AJE AAR :)

A fascinating look at France's strategy and how it was completely mismatched against the British (although it's easy to see why the French would want to maintain the balance of power in Continental Europe first).

Let's see how your reinforcements - and the incredible Montcalm - affect the balance of power in your game. I'm looking forward to the upcoming turns. :)

Indeed, combining WiA and RoP could have been fun, but certainly horribly complex :)

gah, how could I have not posted anything here yet! This is one of my favorite AGEOD campaigns, and as a historybook AAR-er I very much enjoy the attempt to make a hybrid historybook AGEOD AAR. I'll follow this with much interest!

Thank you. It is going to be much more balanced than it was against Loki, who was a beginner then.

Some "interesting" weather you are getting there!

If you do take Fort Niagara does that allow you to build a naval prescence on the great lakes? Sounds like the summer of 1756 is going to get lively.

Well, you had the answer... and it is not over yet.

Can (could) your opponent see any of these moves, or does it all take place in an area where he has no 'vision'? It's a bold move, but it strikes me as risky to send a force to Niagara when the French are lurking to the north of Albany - on the other hand, if he can't see you're peeling off forces to head west, it wouldn't alert him to the fact that your position around Albany is weakened.

I am sure General Hoth sees my move pretty well. The French have so many Natives it is easy to "use" one in passive / avoid combat posture in the middle of the enemy line (you ll have to pull it back from time to time to resupply, though).

An unfortuneate reverse in front of fort Niagara. Looking forward to seeing wether the stealth move works out better. Now that you are fully control of Arcadia does this translate directly into any in game advantages?

1757 spoiler: it is bloody!!!!!!!!!!

1757 spoiler: it is bloody!!!!!!!!!!
While in real terms this means a great tragedy with losses material and immaterial for all sides involved, and hence something that should be mourned, we're dealing with a game here (bunches of zeroes and ones), so I can wholeheartedly applaud the upcoming carnage. :)

Spoiler: Fort William Henry.

September 1756 - November 1756 - Iroquois from emergencies to emergencies

For the late season of 1756, all the action is in Iroquois territory, which a small secondary fire by Montcalm I will cover, and some inconsequential French actions in the South I won't.

Attackandcounter_zps315da4e2.jpg

September 1756 opens on a coup de théatre. As I was planning to attack Fort Niagara by surprise in October, the French are faster in the "nasty surprise" category, as they trap the English force in route toward Oswego ! This force, to save its cohesion, was set to get into Fort Hull on the way, to rest. The French arrived 3 days later after a hook through German flats (not shown on map), and now the whole force is besieged by little supplies !

Turn19CriticalSituation_zps53824969.jpg

Meanwhile, as you can see, Montcalm moved and took Fort Edward, close to Albany, so I cannot divert all my forces to help against the French in the Mohawk Valley.

Turn19MontcalmMoves_zpscc99bf2b.jpg

In one turn, the English situation went from "balanced" to critical.

Here is the force under siege :

Turn19DunbarUnderSiege_zps8e0a8c10.jpg

To relief Dunbar's force, I have one month of supply, after which I risk full surrender every turn. I expect the French to count on this, and maintain the siege.

Given the emergency of the situation, I decide to commit my "surprise" force of Indians :

Turn19_zpsa4307a87.jpg

It will take 22 days to arrive.

I decide, to be sure to have the odds in my favor, to fine-tune a force from Albany to arrive in exactly 22 days as well, so the two forces engage at the same time, in the same battle.

Turn19Force2_zps0bfb15e9.jpg

Albany is left with little defense, but Montcalm's force look exhausted, and I am not sure he would try to attack me this turn, with little cohesion.

Finally, my force entrapped is ordered to sortie. It will engage the opponent exactly as the two relief force arrives. If the French decide to siege me, I may well be able to finally engage their elusive troops and deal them significant damage !

Turn19Strategy_zps2860b0e6.jpg

[please ignore the number 1, 2, 3 :) I planned to show that action a different way at the beginning]

October...

My trap closes on nothing ! The French decided not to siege, and move against the Iroquois :

Turn20Escape_zps679d21ba.jpg

Another force is now entrapped !

It is Phineas's force that is entrapped in one of the Iroquois's villages. Those troops were part of the first Niagara expedition, which were kept in villages to protect them... against an moderate assault, but not against a siege, nor against a force that strong.

Turn20Entrapped_zpsd486ee99.jpg

This time, though, I have powerful force close enough. I separate Fort Bull's strenght in 3 columns :

- A powerful English column :

Turn20Attack_zpsdec7d407.jpg

Its objective is to attack the French the most direct route.

- A fast Indian column :

Turn20MobilesFOrce_zps646cefd2.jpg

Its objective is to attack the French, but before patrol the Iroquois village in order to intercept the French if they chose to flee in that direction

- A colonial force :

Turn20RetreatingForce_zps1db0af18.jpg

Its orders are to garrison back Albany. Montcalm retreated last turn, but seeing that Albany is without defense he could come back en force

Overall, here are what the orders look like :

Turn20Strat_zpsd69297a6.jpg

In November, the French try their chance and assault :

Turn21Battle_zps3ec607aa.jpg

The result are fairly balanced. I lose a unit (I was trying to retreat, which was not a good idea), and one element inside the fort. The French lose a Coureur unit, actually one attached to a leader (according to what my opponent said). But this minor defeat has a silver lining for the French - their force retreated before I could catch them. I will follow them, of course, but too late...

Turn21Retreat_zpsf4765d97.jpg

As it is November, the campaigning season is over, and Indians go back to their village (or what is left of it)... The French force becomes suddenly too small to be caught.

But unknownlingly to the French, that final battle "activated" my Iroquois, that are ready for a Winter of War. This is an unique opportunity to attack them where they do not expect me... In addition, more reinforcements, coming from Kingston, are heading toward New York.

Turn19NWIndies_zpsbc6ec505.jpg

1757 should be a good year for the English arms...

An unfortuneate reverse in front of fort Niagara. Looking forward to seeing wether the stealth move works out better. Now that you are fully control of Arcadia does this translate directly into any in game advantages?

Not really an in-game advantage, except that it makes a French attack on Acadia much harder, as they have no fall-back position if they got defeated and if their navy don't control the seas.

While in real terms this means a great tragedy with losses material and immaterial for all sides involved, and hence something that should be mourned, we're dealing with a game here (bunches of zeroes and ones), so I can wholeheartedly applaud the upcoming carnage. :)

We got a pretty historical Battle-of-the-Mohicansesque battle of Fort William Henri, indeed.