• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello,

If you are asking in a general manner, I hope to have next update tomorrow (I am super super busy at works, and I am working this Saturday :) )
If you are asking w/ regards of the end of AGEOD on the Paradox forum, we will in that case more to the AGEOD forum. Actually, we will in all case migrate there.

Euhhh? What end of AGEOD on the forum pal?

Euhhh? What end of AGEOD on the forum pal?

Simply put, now that Paradox doesn't own AGEOD, they are going to close everything AGEOD in the Paradox forum.

Ageod wasn't to become Paradox France? I think i missed some episodes

December 1756 - April 1757 - Preparing the season

Plan-2_zpsdc5a7546.jpg

1. Against Indian habits...

As you might remember, the Iroquois were so upset at the French that they decided like a man they would agree to campaign in winter.

This is an opportunity that cannot be missed...

As most French targets in the area probably have a number of troops wintering, I decide to strike far away from the Iroquois...

... fort Duquesne itself.

For this, I will mix both Indian and English forces, and first build a new fort just in front of the French fort :

Turn22StratinMIddle_zps58ad4669.jpg

The Indians are ordered to regroup in New York, which would take 2 months :

Turn22ToNY_zps8c045bc4.jpg

In February, the "surprise force" is in New York, but need significant refit.

Turn24NYSurprise_zpsbd73eac3.jpg

Note that I joined Light English troops, and an English leader to that force.

After having rested, the force finally march in March toward its objective :

Turn25Preparation_zpsf17b1f97.jpg

In addition, the "regular" force tasked with creating a new fort (actually depot) is also on its way :

Turn25closer_zpsc45cbdc9.jpg

In April 1757, the Light Force attempts a first raid on Duquesne, while the slower regulars are on their way to act as back-up, if needed :

Turn26TheRaidonDuquesne_zps261016bc.jpg

Normally, Duquesne should fall within a few months !

2. Biting the Champlain

I decide to use Winter to close the distance between Albany and Canada, by moving my force South of the Champlain (January) :

Turn23TheRaid_zps62aa6141.jpg

A fort is build (event - no cost for me) and now I am my nose on the French :

Turn24FortWilliamHenry_zps3ed65892.jpg

Turn25theline_zps3dd6d202.jpg

In April, as the campaigning season is getting closer, I send reinforcements from Duquesne, where the troops are now completely refitted (in New York, then move by boat to Albany in March) :

Turn26Accumulation_zps449d5c21.jpg

In addition, scouts (Indians unlock in March) are sent on the other side of the Champlain :

Turn26Scouting_zps8ef2963c.jpg

I actually planned to land by surprise with boats behind the French forces (a personal favorite), but I forget you cannot use them to go on the Champlain proper from Fort William Henry, so this whole accumulation of force was useless - it took me 2 turns to understand that it was not bad whether conditions that were blocking the passage, but the fact that I was not holding Fort Carillon...

Meanwhile, the reinforcements had arrived from the Caribean to prepare for the new offensive :

Turn24ToNY_zpsd33f3a96.jpg

... and troops were mustered in every English city :

Turn24Reinforcements_zps54f07a5b.jpg

Now it is time to go full offensive !

Joyeux Noël

Montréal, december 25th
Basilique Notre Dame

chapelle_zps71ebfd22.jpg

All the leadership of New France was united in celebration in the chrismas mass. "Notre-Père, qui êtes au ciel, que ton nom soit sanctifié, que ton règne vienne...". They were all praying...but not for the same things. The Marquis de Vaudreuil was praying for more reinforcement and especially supplies from France. At his right, the Marquis de Montcalm was praying that God gave him an enemy to defeat in an honorable way and to be freed of Vaudreuil's autority. Behind the two commanders of New France, their subbordinate prayed too. The Chevalier de Lévis prayed that the growing antipathy between the two marquis didn't flare up. The Chevalier de Rigaud prayed that the Virgin protected the Canadiens family who lost a father or a son in the Iroquois Campaign. Boulamarque was praying for his own survival and his family while de Boishébert prayed for his fellow Acadiens, deported by the redcoats.

After the mass, the officers gathered at the Bigot's mansion, the residence of the Intendant Général Bigot, the civil administrator of New-France. He received all the officers for a great banquet. As wine and Champagne easied up the fraternisation between the colonials and metropolitans officers, the two marquis were not in a mood to feast. Montcalm resented Vaudreuil autority and was positivly shocked when the governor blamed him for his expedition against Fort Edward: "Not only did you disobey a direct order, monsieur le marquis, but you have put at risk the construction of our most important defense line at Fort Carillon in your vain quest for personal glory. I will not tolerate any further disobedience from my subordinate, is that clear?" shouted Vaudreuil when the argument flared up. Montcalm was red in anger, and Boulamarque nearly jumped on him, convinced he was going to take up his sword and kill Vaudreuil. "Monsieur, if it was not for our positions and responsabilities, I would ask you reparation for this insult" said Montcalm with a cold voice. Vaudreuil stared at him: "And if you did that, it would be my duty to put you in prison as the King clearly forbid duels and I serve the King before myself. Remember it." The gouvereur général then showed all his contempt for the general by turning his back and engage in conversation with the puzzled Boulamarque.

The Chevalier de Lévis was looking at this disgraceful scene, maybe thinking that "a house divided against itself cannot stand"...

I notice that, during the campaign against Loki you ended up going around the Great Lakes via Niagra, while in this game you are staying in the Champlain area. Is this because the situation by Lake Champlain is more amenable to an offensive campaign in this game?

I think it's because I still hold Fort Duquesne.

I wonder if we'll see any consequences from Montcalm's and Vaudreuil's animosity. It's certainly not a good thing for the French cause.

And Narwhal's up to his usual aggressive stuff. Looking forward to finding out if the Duquesne gambit pays off. :)

New-France under arms

January-June 1757

Nouvelle-France_2_9_Armoiries-royales-de-France_zpsb46c9811.jpg

480253_504590466257987_1265232572_n_zps67c115da.jpg

Recrutement poster for the colonial Compagnies Franches de la Marine

As Montcalm left Montréal, unwilling to share compagny with Vaudreuil for the winter, he established his winter quarter in Québec itself. He writed many letters to the court, presenting how the “odious domination of the Canadien's nobles” were distrupting his efforts to wage war for the king. He received many letters from Vaudreuil, giving him his operational's order for the summer of 1757 and informing him of the gouverneur général's plans.

For Vaudreuil had many plans to defend his positions. He was busy completing New France's mobilisation, organising militia levies, the training of troops, the supplies situation and the various alliances with the natives tribes. Never before had New-France been defended by so many soldiers...but never again had she been invaded by as many red coats...

New France forces were well adapted to the task and, he hoped, would suffice to the task.

Historian's and gamer's corner

evenement-fort_zps04f8bcf4.jpg

A patrol from the Compagnies Franches de la Marine garding Fort Chambly, at the gate of Canada

The main force of the colony was the Compagnies Franches de la Marine, Marines Free Compagny.
Army_CAN_LightInfantry1_zps7840fe54.png
Army_CAN_Colonial1_zps08752b7c.png

Formed of French and Canadiens soldiers, they were commanded by Canadiens officers and garrisoned the many forts which protected the vast lands of New France. In game term, we see 2 units that represent them. Colonial Line Infantry and Trained Militia. As I was one of the proposer of this change, let me explain it a bit. The Marine's free compagnies were organised in small units of a hundred man called a compagnie. Not in batalion like it's the norm in WiA. But to keep the games coherent, they mixed them up in batalion, so it is why I will continue to give the number of Free Compagnies in OOB (ie elements). They were trained to fight as line infantry AND in the indian way of the “petite guerre”. This is why militias now evolve into light infantry units wich are also representing the Free Compagnies. Those units are powerful tool in my hands, moving fast and packing quite a punch, with a trait that give them a initiative bonus.

2393577819_small_2_zpsd8965269.jpg

Natives warriors in the maelstrom of battles

The second most important part of my defense were my indians allies. It's the French and Indians war after all. Light, fast, sneaky, serving as raiding party, scouts and mobiles reserves, I could not hold a year without them.
Army_IND_Braves5KW_zps9184e43d.png

Then, we got our last line of defense, the powerful and feared Canadien's militias
ospreycampaign076ticondzq3_zps5dd8d37a.jpg

Militia during a raid

In Canadian and Québécois history, the militia are a real myth. They fought most of the French and Indian war, beaten time and time again American invasion in 1776 and 1812-1814, they fought with savagery, like the indians, making deep raid in the snow and ambushing regulars armies. If recent military and historic work have downsided a bit their real effectiveness, a fact remain: they were fearsome opponent, far superior to the militias of the 13 Colonies. As I said before, the game rush to represent them. One way is by the formation of the trained militamen and their representation as Free Compagnies. But they had other role. First, the normal militia units, raised to defend their cities (like in the Acadian campaign of 1755-1756) or each year in Canada. To keep the game balanced, they are not mustered as long as there are the maximum number of trained militia in game. Let's assume it is representing the attrition and reinforcement of those units. And we also got our most precious units. Let's call them the Elite Militias (pun intended): the coureurs des bois. Those men are the main responsibles for the vast growth of New France. They explorated all of America, made contact with the indians and adopted much of their traditions. (IRL, they would even guide Lewis and Clark in their quest for pacific...let's hope we don't get there in the game). They are my expert ambushers, irregular fighter giving punch to my indians armies. They were “the devil incarnate” if we quote a fairly unknown american of this time: benjamin franklin. I will refer to them either as Coureurs des Bois or, mainly, as Irregulars.

Army_CAN_Militia2_zps61ad2f35.png
Army_CAN_CoureurKW_zpsdb28c243.png

o, these were the colonial forces. Formidable, but clearly incapable of beating back the vast redcoats armies that menaced to destroy New France. So, the colony turned to old France for help. As I said, the strategy of Versailles was to destroy Great-Britain allies in Europe and then to invade the island itself, thus forcing her to evacuate whatever colony she would have invaded before the peace treaty. But sending enough force oversea to force Great britain into long and costly war against much smaller force was considered a sound strategy and thus, France sent some regular forces and warship to New France, to prevent it's annexation.

french_soldiers_zps30d559b3.gif

French soldiers preparing for a review

Batalions detached from many active regiments were sent to form Dieskau and Montcalm main forces: nearly 8000 men would defend New France, from Louisbourg to Fort Carillon and William Henry. With their outstanding commander, the Marquis de Montcalm or his second in command, the Chevalier de Lévis, they would inflict heavy losses on the Redcoats, winning incredible battles at Oswego, Fort William Henry, Fort Carillon, repulsing 6 landing on Québec itself before the disaster of the Plains of Abraham. They would even rally under Lévis, counterattack, win a great victory at the second battle of the Plains of Abraham and siege Québec until english reinforcement forced them to surrender Montréal in 1760. If the colonial's forces would serve as the sword of the colony, the regulars would be her shield, barring the way to Canada.

Unit_FRA_MarineKW_zps50074657.png
Unit_FRA_Infantry2_zpsb58768c8.png
Unit_FRA_MarineKW_zps50074657.png
Unit_FRA_Marine1_zpsf90ed452.png
Unit_FRA_Infantry1_zps2cc37217.png

Strategic Corner: OOB of New France in 1757
I have decided to give you a detailled OOB of the beginning of the summer of 1757 as it represent the full mobilisation of New France, it's strategic organisation and the peak of his military power. As you will see, I'm many time outnumbered but I can still give my ennemy a bloody noose.

New France OOB

Commander in chief:Gouverneur Général de la Nouvelle-France, le Marquis de Vaudreuil. Montréal

Unit_CAN_Vaudreuil_zps5abab10e.png

2nd and 3rd Bataillon du Régiment de Berry, 1600 men
Montréal's garrison: Compagnies Franches de la Marine, 400 men, (size 2 Depot)

800px-Musee_Stewart_15_zpsc1230c25.jpg

Montréal in 1757

Québec Garrison (size 2 Depot)

Commander: Lieutenant-Colonel Testard de Montigny (*)
Compagnies Franche de la Marine: 400 men
Defensives canons: 136 pieces

Trois Rivière garrison
400 militiamen

Lake Champlain front

Commander in chief: Marquis de Montcalm, maréchal de camp. (***)
Unit_FRA_Montcalm_zps5fec837e.png

Second in command: Chevalier de Lévis, brigadier.(**)
Unit_FRA_Levis_zpsf17f60eb.png

French forces*:

Officers: Colonel de Boulamarque(**), Lieutenant Colonel de Bougainville(*), Capitaine de Sarrebourse de Pontleroy,chief engineer(*), commandant Comte de Malartic (*), Colonel Plantavit de la Pause(*)
450px-Soldat_de_Languedoc_zps92694f94.jpg

Soldier from the Royal Languedoc Regiment

2nd B. Régiment de la Sarre: 800 men
2nd B. Régiment Royal Roussillon: 800 men
2nd B Régiment de Guyenne: 750 men
2nd B Régiment de Béarn: 725 men
2nd B Régiment de la Reine (Queen's own): 675 men
2nd B Régiment du Royal Languedoc: 650 men
Bataillon Royal de la Marine de Louisbourg: 700 men (the elite infantry who defended Acadia in 1755)
Artillery*: 24 canons.

Colonial forces:
Colonel de Boishébert de Raffetot(*)
Unit_CAN_Boishebert_zps3c35287e.png

Acadiens Irregulars: 250 men
Canadien Irregulars: 300 men
Compagnies Franches de la Marine: 3775 men
Native allies: 4 tribes, nearly 800 braves.
carilonfort_zpsaae985dc.jpg

Fort Carillon finished and ready to hold off the redcoats.

Fort Carillon garrison, (size 3 depot)
Compagnies Franches de la Marine: 400 hommes

Great Lake Front.

Commander in chief*: the Chevalier de Rigaud, (**)
Unit_CAN_Rigaud_zps78dbd494.png

Second in Command. Daniel Liénard de Beaujeu, colonel(**)
Unit_CAN_Beaujeu_zps6c7b8094.png

Colonial forces
Officers: lieutenant-colonel Chartier de Lotbinière(*)

Compagnies Franches de la Marine: 3800 men

Irregulars and natives allies
Officers: colonel Pécaudy de Contrecoeur(**), Capitaine de Langlade(*), Capitaine de Lignery(*)
Canadien irregulars: 900 men
Native Allies: 5 tribes, nearly 1600 braves

Fort Niagara's garrison (size 1 depot): Capitaine Pouchot de Maupas
Compagnies Franches de la Marine: 400 hommes

Fort Detroit's garrison (size 1 depot)
Compagnies Franches de la Marine*: 400 men

Ohio Front

Commander in chief: Major Jean Daniel Dumas(*)
Unit_CAN_Dumas_zps2c0cf548.png

Fort Duquesne's garrison (size 2 Depot)
Capitaine Coulon de Villiers (*)
Compagnies Franches de la Marine: 1900 men

Native Allies
Officers: Delawares chieftains Shingas and Jacobs
10 indians tribes*: nearly 3250 braves.

Louisbourg Fortress
Commander in Chief: the Chevalier de Drucourt (***)
Unit_FRA_Drucourt_zpsd8d8b810.png

Second in command: Capitaine Vicomte de Desandrouins(*)
58666_123578831025821_4598444_n_zps25fc9288.jpg

Louisbourg garrison on watch

Officer: Capitaine Gaspard de Chaussegros de Léry(*) (the hero of the acadian campaign of 1755)
Louisbourg's garrison (size 2 depot)
2nd B. Régiment d'Artois: 800 men
2nd B. Régiment de Bourgogne: 800 men
Compagnies franches de la marine: 3000 men
Acadien milita: 800 men
Defensive batteries: 136 canons

Marine

France battle fleet
arton7_zps7c07529d.jpg

French frigate "La Belle Poule" raiding british commercial lines

Amiral Comte Dubois de la Motte(***)
Unit_FRA_Motte_zpscaa24526.png

Contre-Amiral Marquis Desgouttes*
16 ships of the line, 2 frigates, 3 transports ships

Fluvial flotilas*:
4 armed boats on the Lake Champlain, 4 armed boats on the Lake Ontario, 4 armed boats on the Lake Érié and 4 armed boats on Lake Supérieur. 6 fluvial transports flotilas.

I wonder if we'll see any consequences from Montcalm's and Vaudreuil's animosity. It's certainly not a good thing for the French cause.

Indeed it was IRL. For now, Vaudreuil, in this situation, would have the upper hand with the great victories of the last years. Setbacks or a great victory of Montcalm could change that.

1757: the year of Montcalm

The Marquis de Montcalm leading his army toward glory

1757 began with intense preparative in all New-France. Sping was coming and the ennemy was at the gates. As indians allies arrived from all over America, troops and supplies were being gathered to lauch the guerrila operation favored by the marquis de Vaudreuil. Montcalm and his powerful army would again mount guard at the gates of Canada, at Fort Carillon. The easiest way to invade Canada was indeed in danger, a massive army having begun to erect a powerful base at Fort William Henry, with depot and a harbor that would soon be filled with small ships to allow the invasion. This harbor was situated in the Saint Sacrement lake, communicating with the Champlain Lake. But it would be impossible to go in it before Fort Carillon and his batteries were destroyed. Vaudreuil knew it and gave his general as much troop as he could to prevent such a catastrophe. If Carillon fell, the next battles would take place in Canada itself. But if the crops were to be destroyed, famine would destroy more surely New France than the Redcoats.

To prevent the english from concentrating an ovewhelming force against Fort Carillon, Vaudreuil counted on 3 columns operating from Fort Niagara. Two of them would be irregular forces, formed from natives allies and Canadien Coureurs des Bois operating from Niagara and Fort Duquesne. They would be aimed at the remnant of the once mighty Iroquois Confederation, to finally end the menace that plagued New France since it's birth. Nearly 5000 men would participate in this mission, burning village after village and destroying any forces the British would send. The third column would be under the command of the Chevalier de Rigaud, Vaudreuil's own brother. With nearly 3500 mens from the colonial infantry, he would march from Fort Niagara to Fort Oswego, to burn it and deny the British any access to Lake Ontario.

fort-snowshoes_zpsb315b173.jpg

Coureurs des Bois on the move near Fort Niagara. Even in april, the temperature could be very cold. As i'm writing that, we are april 12th, and there is a snow storm outside Montréal
But those operation had one fatal flaw: the Gouverneur Général underestimated the strenght of the British. Even if forced to divide their forces, each of their smaller force were powerful enough to destroy any French army in open battle. The only force that could stand a chance were the armies of Louisbourg , stuck on that island until the British dared to attack, and Montcalm's army at Carillon, ordered to stay on the defensive. Very early in the campaign did Vaudreuil began to receive worrying news. The remnants of the Iroquois Confederacy and a powerful force of redcoats were approaching Fort Duquesne. Major Jean Daniel Dumas sent panicked plea for reinforcement to Fort Niagara, Louisiana and Fort Detroit, as his main strenght was deep in Iroquois territory. He only had 1400 men from the Compagnies Franches de la Marine and could be overwhelmed, especially since he had no light forces to oppose the murderous Iroquois. Fort Saint Louis in Louisiana immediatly sent by boats on the Missisipi and Ohio river 500 men while 600 were sent from Fort Detroit, leaving the 2 importants post with less than 300 men garrisons each. The british offensive intention began clear when they built Fort Prudence: a depot just 15 days of march from Fort Duquesne.

Another setback would show the might of Great Britain in North America. As the powerful force of the Chevalier de Rigaud approched Fort Oswego, their scouts finally got the chance to properly assess the garrison. As they were preparing to bring back to the Chevalier that the fort would not be able to hold off his 3500 men, a scout from the Objiwa tribe spotted movement. The Canadiens freezed when they saw an entire army emerging from the tree, marching toward the fort, with thousands of troops, canons, supplies, workers to build boats and reinforce the Fort itself. They could easily beat a force twice as strong as the one Rigaud commanded. Fearing that they used boats to take Fort Niagara in his back, he ordered his army to turn back without even trying to attack the enemy. Without Niagara , his army would be forced to a long march in the wilderness to Fort Duquesne or Fort Frontenac.

A man from the Compagnies Franches de la Marine standing guard.

Louisbourg, May 22nd, 1757

The great fortress of Louisbourg was busy as always, with peasants selling their crops and fishing boats docking, back from the day's labors. Occasionally, a merchant ship would enter the harbor, bringing supplies and goods from the Carribean or even France. On the shoreline, soldiers stood a watchful vigil over the see, seeking any sign of the british fleet that would herald invasion one day.One of the soldiers patroling the heights near the Pointe Blanche was a young corporal, called Mathieu Jacques, dit l'Avocat*. He was reading letters from home that arrived with a ship 2 days ago. In fact, it was the 10th time he readed it, for he missed his family very much, and especially his lover: the sweet and tender Geneviève. He was sitting on a rock, upon a small elevation that gived a good view of the ocean. "à bientot mon tendre amour, je prie le Ciel de te tenir bientot dans mes bras"...He lifted watery eyes from the last letter when he saw something moving at the horizon. No, he wasn't dreaming. It was a ship, coming out of the fog! "ALERTE, NAVIRE EN VUE". He looked with attention, finally seing clearly the ship: it was a fully armed frigate. Maybe a scout or a raider...As he was preparing to send a soldier from his guard post to sound the alarm at the nearest bastion, his hearth sank. Another sail was visible. Two. Ten. And it was not other frigates but ships of the line. A real fleet. He calmed himself, counting slowly up to...17 ship of the lines and 1 frigate. He prepared to light up the invasion signal when the soldier began to shout: "FRANCE!!! FRANCE!!!". The ships were making their flags clears: they were French. Finally, la Royale was here to fight the Royal Navy. Caporal Jacques could not supress a grin. Maybe he would be able to survive the war after all, and go back to his Geneviève...

*Each french soldier of this era had a "nom de guerre" a war name.

Fox warrior during the battle of Fort Bull

On June 20th, Vaudreuil's strategy was abruptly stopped at the very gates of Albany. Learning of the massive concentration of forces at Oswego, De Beaujeu assembled what force he could and decided to strike at Fort Bull, to blow a vital communication center and destroy the massive supplies that were transiting there toward Oswego. But as his 2700 irregulars and indians prepared to attack, they were greated not only with intense musket fire but with canon as well. 16 canons were reinforcing the fort's already formidable artillery, panicking the light forces of de Beaujeu who never withstood such firepower before. Then, Monkton, the butcher of Acadia, ordered his forces to counter attack. Massive ranks of redcoats began to march toward the treeline, stopping only to unleash mortal volleys on the disorganised and demoralised irregulars. They returned fire in earnest, but de Beaujeu rapidly understood he could not beat the british juggernaught this way. He ordered his retreat, only to see it cut off by 4 rangers companies. This time, it was Monkton that underestimated the French and Indians. Proving that cornered beast could still inflict mortal wounds and that the British could still not compete in irregular warfare, they trashed the rangers at close range, destroying an entire compagny while the other were runing for their lives. In the lull of battle, de Beaujeu's force disapeared, running from the ill fated battle ground. Nearly a thousand dead, many more killed in the retreat, an entire native tribe fighting force destroyed...It was a black day. For New-France. It is said that Vaudreuil wept when he read the casualities list. But another new would soon overshadow all this.

I believe this is properly described as "A mixed bag". On the one hand, your fleet has arrived (and it sounds like a powerful fleet - Louisbourg should be safe now), on the other hand the British numbers are starting to make themselves felt. You lost that battle and you had to abort some operations... You're certainly not doomed, but I understand now how much of a tightrope act this is for you: you need to do everything right to win (well, at least almost everything), while the British can afford to make some mistakes. If you make too many mistakes, the British will simply beat you with their superior numbers. Tense.

Spoiler: in 1758, I will make two mistake in one turn. I'm not even sure I have a chance to recover from them

Spoiler: in 1758, I will make two mistake in one turn. I'm not even sure I have a chance to recover from them

Ouch. That does sound like an uphill battle. Especially considering you're playing against Narwhal (I had the good fortune of playing alongside him in a RUS game where we shared the White duties, and I was still scared to read about the forces he assembled and the way he tore into the Red armies and positions ;)).

I agree, playing against him is pretty scary.

May 1757 - July 1757 - Preparing assault on all fronts.

In May 1757, the 1757 war season opened, but most armies still had the long distance to march, and a long time to wait, before being in position for attack.

The crime season had no waited for the French, though, and a French force, keen on exterminating the Iroquois, had moved in the territory of the Confederacy.

1. Raid & Trap

While Fort William Henry was supposed to be the base for an offensive along the Champlain, the size of Montcalm's army to its North meant there is no way I pass. Once I understood I could not build bateaux to land on the back of the enemy army [my personal favorite], I decided to change strategy and move the front on the Ontario, with two objectives :

- The control of the Lake Ontario, for which a fleet was patiently built :

- Fort Niagara

And thus I started redeployment troops while bringing new ones from Albany to Oswego.

In June, the troops met in Front Bull :

For the offensive on such a wild area, I would need supplies, capable leaders and adapted forces.

- The supplies, I commandered from Halifax. Recoinnaissance had showed Louisbourg too protected for a landing :

- The troops and leaders, I received :

Murray the leader and Lord Howe the fast mover, with some heavy, but elite troops (in Boston). They would move to Albany at once, though it would take time.

Better even, Roger's and his new company of voluunteer, the "rangers", reported in right in Albany :

Roger is one of the best leaders of the whole WiA games : he moves fast in the wild (CUMULATES with Lord Howe bonus), he knows how to live off the land, and is also good at killing Indians, of which the French have many.

I also received new troops to garrison by backyard... and Fort William Henry

Meanwhile, the French assault on the Iroquois carries on and more villages were burned to the ground :

This French rampage gave the English commanders an idea. I noticed the French where moving from village to village, directly assaulting them. What if, instead of finding a few women and children in the village, they found a complete English force waiting for them. What about setting a trap ?

This was prepared in July. In July, Onondaga had been burned and Chonodote had just been assaulted. The next French targets was probably Unadilla, and then Kanonwhale. In either case, whichever was the first, the other was next. I moved a large force - in small, invisible groups - right IN Kanonwhale. If the French were not scouting before assaulting, they would find a very nasty surprise...

Note that the forces are not instructed not get in the structure this turn - they would be seen and their passive posture would not yield good results in case of assault.

As the force in Oswego was not complete yet (and the supply situation not so good), another expedition was planned : a raid on Frontenac, on the other side of the river. This could also be used to scout the area, and get some military experience of the lake...

The force was no more than a thousand man strong, but Frontenac was expected to be defenseless.

Here is a general view of the situation as of July 1757 :

2. An uneventful surprise

In the wilderness Front, the force had been slower than expected and did not reach Fort Duquesne as expected. They stopped in the mountains over the Fort, and discovered the Fort was well garrisonned by numerous Indian forces. An attack was out of question.

[Going that much slower than expected can happen if you have two leaders of the same seniority. When you give the orders, you have the impression that leader #1 is leading the force, but when the turn proceeds leader #2 can take command, and sometimes the guy was inactive...]

Fortunately, English reinforcements were arriving.

In June, the English regulars arrived, but the French force was even larger. The decision was taken to sit them out. After all, all the Indians "garrisoning" Duquesne are Indians not protecting the French on the Ontario front. Furthermore, these Indians would go back to their home for Winter, and then...

The English built a fort mere miles away from the French. This Fort would be called Fort Prudence.

As for the Iroquois in Fort Prudence, their presence became unnecessary. After all, they would have to Winter. For this reason, a raid against Fort LeBoeuf, much north of Fort Duquesne, was organised. The strategic value was low, but it would isolate Fort Duquesne even more !

3. A new Fleet

In July 1757, the English Fleet called in in Halifax. Now England was queen of the sea, as it should !

Last edited: