• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kurt_Steiner

Katalaanse Burger en Terroriste
4 Badges
Feb 12, 2005
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • For The Glory
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings Complete
Well, I cannot resist the urge to begin. Here comes my next enterprise, which is going to go, hand in hand, with the rest of my present AARs. Let's hope that it is luckier that my first hoidessy.

First of all, some comments.

Nation: Nación: Catalunya :D (Cataluña, Catalonia, Catalogne, Catalogna, Katalonien, Katalonia, etc)
Game: HOI 2 DD (1936 - The Road to War).
Mod: The main mod behind this idea is the follwing one: este:A Peace to end all Peaces- no WWI mod for HoI2 DD, by General Grant, with some modifications by myself. Actually, more than a mod it is a modified save, so to speak.
Dificulty: Normal.
Main goals:
1.- To be able worth being reading this time.
2.- To be able to finish the game and the AAR (if the savegame permits...)
3.- To enjoy and to make enjoy this AAr.
4.- To create an empire of my own or to destroy the already created or to come. We shall see.

I am afraid that this AAR is going to be quite modest. I am afraid that I count only with my writting skills to make it alive. Thus, I will do my best. It is not going to have anything to do with anything previous written by me. Perhaps a little, you know. Old habits die hard.

Let me tell you something. Before we arrive to the actual gameplay, I will give you some kind of introduction about the world in which the game takes place. And remember, it is a world where the Great War has not taken place.

Not yet, at least. :D

Note: I am in eternal debt with the Spanish writer Néstor Luján, because the ending of one of his books is the beginning of my AAR.

The War Path
(1936-...)

800px-Wien_Hofburg_Neue_Burg_Heldenplatz.jpg

On the evening of February 5th, 1889, the funeral procession which carries the body of the Archduke Rudolf, Crown Prince of Austria, Hungary and Bohemia, begins to move from the Hofburg in direction to the Capuchin Church in Vienna. There is the Imperial Crypt (die Kaisergruft, but usually called die Kapuzinergruft), principal place of entombment for the Habsburg dynasty, hereditary Emperors of the Holy Roman Empire, and their descendants. The carriage is moved by four magnificient white Lippizaner horses, the most fair and beautiful members of the purest Spanish race from the Spanische Reitschule. The funeral processions walks slowly in a city whose streets are deadly quiet this day. There, in their last goodbye to the kronrprinz, the whole Vienna stands in silence, in the cold evening. Vienna, mute, dressed in black, sees the sad, pathetic and dramatic procession go by. There are, too, hundreds of foreign ambassadors who have been send to the Imperial City by their masters, as the kaiser Franz Joseph has asked them not to go personally.

Franz Joseph, old, defeated by the tragedy, walks in short steps. He feels lonely, because his wife, the Empress Elisabeth of Austria, his daughter, Maria Vaelria, and his daugther-in-law, Stephania, are not there with him. Only his elder daughter, the Archduchess Gisela, Princess of Bavaria, is by his side. She has just arrived from München.

edwardVIIfuneral06.jpg

When the procession arrives to the Kapuzinergruft, they find the doors closed, following the old and hair-rising protocol. The grand marshal of the Imperial Court, prince von Hollenhole, facing the closed door, the procession with the body behind him, calls in. A liturgical and terryfing voice asks:

-Who is there?

The prince replies, his voice full with pride:

-His Imperial and Royal Highness, the Archduke Rudolf.

Behind the door, the terrible voice answers him back:

-We do not know him.

The sound of silence is stunning.

The marshal, in cold air of Vienna, calls again and again the voice asks

-Who is there?

-The Archduke Rudolf –Hollenhole’s answer cames, not so proud this time. Again, it has the same cold reply:

-We do not know him.

Finally the marshall calls in again, for the third time, still proud. The same terrifyic voice asks him fro the third time:

-Who is there?

Then the grand marshal lowers his head and replies, with a humble voice, while a tear runs down his old cheek:

-A poor sinner.

The voice answers then

-Go inside –and the doors opened fully for them.

Last edited:
I wrote that first comment just before you posted the first update, sorry.

The opening evokes the opening of The Guns of August -- I like it.

It finally started!

I like the style, however I can't wait to discover the link between the funerals of Rudolf, Catalonia, and my mod. :)

There is something of this forum that I simply love, that makes Paradox so great. My wonderful comrades. You're outstanding, mates. Thanks a lot!

TheHyphenated1 said:
I wrote that first comment just before you posted the first update, sorry.

The opening evokes the opening of The Guns of August -- I like it.

Apologizing? For posting? No need! Thanks for your comments. I blush a bit about the comparison.

Let me tell you something funny. Right now there are twelve history books dealing with the period of time covered by my AAR. On the top of one of the tree columns of books, you can find Tuchman's book. Oddily enough, I didn't remember the beginning of her book. Uncanny coincidence, isn't it?

PS Now I remember... the second pic was actually taken in the funeral procession which opens Tuchman's book :D

Gigalocus said:
Looking good, since you've replied to my AAR, I'll have to watch your's to return the favour! Still, it should be fun with your writing style. Good luck. :)

Thank you, sir! I hope that my AAR is half as good as yours!

General_Grant said:
It finally started!

I like the style, however I can't wait to discover the link between the funerals of Rudolf, Catalonia, and my mod. :)

Yes! Finally!

The link... you'll see. ;)

rcduggan said:
this looks good so far. :)

Glad to know. :D I hope it will keep looking good...

Last edited:
The War Path
(1936-...)

The Scourge of Terror (1871-1914)
1st Part: The Origins of ‘New Jacobin’ Terrorism

charles_1757_1836_hi.jpg

Louis XVII in 1840​

Taken from “Terror in the Name of Freedom”, by Charles J. Townshend, Parnell & Co, 2005 .

... “thus we can state that the tragical split of the French Republican feeling after the Second French Revolution (18th March to 5th June, 1871) would change forever the course of world history. In what we call the ‘insurrection of the 10th of May’, the Radical Republican party was split into two main groups, the ‘New Girondins’, leaded by Jérôme Gensonné (1838-1896), and the ‘New Jacobins’, who joined ranks around Maximilien Isnard (1842-1871). Once Louis XX was overthrown in a bloodless coup d'etat (March, 18th, 1871) , he fled to England. The monarchy was removed and replaced by a republic led by a Government of National Defence, leading to the First Republic. Once the disastrous peace treaty with Germany after the defeat in the Franco-Prussian war (1870-71) was consumated, Isnard and the radicals protested openly against this “shame” while Gensonné and the ‘New Girondins’ supported the government, as they were anxious to stop the revolutionary movement which was damaging the bussiness of the middle class, which is the main support of Gensonné's party. Isnard accused the ‘New Girondins’ –and the government as well- of being "royalist” and trying to create a new kingdom for a Borboun or an Orleanist pretender.

In the suspicious temper of the times this accusation was fatal, but not as the ‘New Jacobins’ expected to be. Isnard never ceased his denunciations that France was being betrayed to her ruin, and his cry of Nous sommes trahis! ("We are betrayed!") was shouted quite often in the streets of Paris. The ‘New Girondins’ were sold to the enemy, Isnard claimed over and over again, adding that Gensonné and his followers would betray them to the monarchists, as Lafayette, Dumouriez and others ‘did’ on the First French Revolution of 1789 –what the French historians refer as the "Crisis of '89” (1). However, there were still memories of the period of "la Grande Peur" that followed after the murder of King Louis XVI in 1789 -which took place before the storming of the Bastille. This bloody period, along with the "White Revolution" of Louis XVII (November 9th – December 2nd, 1805), the almost bloodless reform of France by king Louis which keept both the ultra-royalists and the republicans at bay, were still fresh on the memory of the French nation, and the idea of having another crisis like that again led most of the nation to join ranks behind Gensonné’s group.

Isnard, however, kept with his accusations until his assesination on May 28th, 1871, which gave rise to the wildest rumours and that led to the period of ‘Little Terror’, when the ‘New Jacobins’ launched a wave of terrorist acts against the so-called ‘enemies of the nation’, by killing those who they considered to be behind a foreign conspiracy to restore the monarchy in France. When the New Jacobins Camille Hébert and Jacques Duchesne tried, without success, to kill Gensonné, a bloody period of five days followed until the army recovered the control of Paris, where most of the carnage was taking place. On Mar 31st Hébert, Duchesne and 21 of his followers were arrested, tried and guillotined. However, those executions were not the end of the new jacobinist, and in the following weeks 1,285 New Jacobins were arrested for the disturbances they created in many French cities. Even if only 17 of them would be executed, it was enough to make the surviving ‘New Jacobins’, now leaded by Albert de Saint Just, to go underground, vowing to return to take a bloody revenge upon the traitors.

It would not take them long to try.

(1) ) According to Isnard, Lafayette had allowed the "Royalist democrats" or monarchiens, allied with Necker, to subvert the revolution to accomodate it to the middle class goals. The truth is that, after the murder of the counter-revolutionary general François Claude Amour, marquis de Bouillé –in revenge for his brutal supressions of the insurrections at Metz and Nancy-, Lafayette, Mirabeau and other moderate revolutionaries were scared by the course that the radicals on the left were taking. Thus, when on the night of 20 June 1791, insurgents assaulted the Tuileries, incensed by the speeches of -as it was claimed in those days- Robespierre, Marat and Danton, the worst fears of the moderate party came true. In the following terror that took Paris for two days, the National Guard, leaded by Lafayette, crushed the insurgency, the so-called enragés ("enraged ones") and it pawed the way towards organising France along lines similar to the British constitutional model, as it was settled with the Constitution of 1791. With the 450 Feuillants (constitutional monarchists) in control of the Assembly facing just 200 Girondists (liberal republicans) and what remained of the Jacobins (radical revolutionaries) –who decided it was wiser to be mute after the execution of Robespierre, Marat and Danton- plus 50 deputies unaffiliated with either faction, the idea of bringing down the monarchy was just forgotten.

Last edited:
With this introduction - that will last for the next few updates- I will try to put the reader into contact with the main historical events -some of them took place before the period here described, but, in due time, they will be incorporated into the narration- that separate the course of the history we know from the drift of events that make the reality of the world where my AAR takes place. The kind reader will be able, I hope, to forgive the mistakes of this writAAR, as well as the little jokes and changes of fate that my words will play on some historical characters. I humbly apologize for any kind of historical atrocity I will commit in order to take this alternative world to the path that suited me the best.

In order to not exhaust the reader, I will try to divide the updates in small parts -I hope that my concept of 'small' means the same for you, my readers-. Thus, I am afraid that, for some posts, there is going to be a lot of words and few images.

Any kind of advice, suggestion, doubt, criticism, whatever, is eagerly awaited. Don't hesistate, please.

Last edited:
Oh Kurtis you're at it again ! But this time it's true , you really are being serious ! A thought provoking narrative you begin with especially with the knocking at the door and all that . Very humbling literally and then you show your finesse by moving into a historical dissertation . Very well done and keep it up ! :D

The War Path
(1936-...)

The Scourge of Terror (1871-1914)
2nd Part: The ‘New Jacobin’ Terror

Taken from “Ghost Terror: The Secret History of Neojacobinism”, de Steve A. Clavell, Offspring Editions, 2003.

Influenced by the writtings of Max Stirner, to whom nothing but sheer violence and straight rebellion could save the world for utter decadence, and Nechaiev, Bakunin’s disciple, who glorified terrorism, the ‘New Jacobins’ entered into a new phase of random violence and wantom destruction. Even if we cannot call them ‘anarchists’, by this time the ‘New Jacobins’ had definetively departed of its originals roots. In the years that followed, the Neojacobinism grew so mixed with the most radical Anarchists ideas that they became one. Their credo spread through Europe, having a great echo in Spain and Italy, like wildfire, as some kind of plague that gave rise to the well-know lines of a poem by the Spanish poet Rafael Alberti:

Un fantasma recorre Europa, el mundo. (‘A Ghost Stalks Europe, the world’)
ellos le llaman camarada. (‘they call it Comrade’)

alexanderII.jpg

Aleksandr II Nikolaevich, Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russians, Grand Duke of Finland and King of Poland​

A season of violence took place during almost thirty years that was attributed to the radical ‘New Jacobins’ . With no apparent purpose in their actions, the ‘New Jacobin’ terror would change the face of the world for good, but not as its thinkers had dreamt. Wilhelm I of Germany, who was parading with his daughter, the Grand Duchess of Baden in their carriage on May 11, 1878, is shot twice by Max Hödel, who would be beheaded for his action. Hardly a month later, on June 2, Karl Nobiling shot him in another failed assassination attempt. Nobiling then shot himself in the head. Alfonso XII of Spain suffered two murder attempts in 1878 and 1879, and Umberto I of Italy was attacked by an ‘New Jacobin’, Giovanni Passannante, during a parade in Naples on November 17, 1878. The king, even if he warded off the blow with his sabre, was severely wounded in the thigh before the Royal Guards could intervene. For his hard-line politics, Umberto would be was attacked again, by an unemployed ironsmith, Pietro Acciarito, who tried to stab him near Rome on 22 April 1897. This wouldn’t be the last attempt on his life.

In 1881, the Tsar Alexander II (1818-1899) of Russia survived a bomb attack which killed 56 bystanders. He was returning from reviewing the Life Guards of the Reserve Infantry and the Life Guards of the Sapper Battalion regiments when tree Neojacabin terrorists, Nikolai Rysakov, Ignacy Hryniewiecki e Ivan Emelyanov thew three bombs -one of them did not work- under the horses' hooves. The following explosion killed one of the Cossacks ninety people on the sidewalk. However, the tsar, who, since 1866 had suffered five assesination attempts, emerged shaken, injured in both legs. Completely surrounded by the guards and the Cossacks, the tsar made his way to the Winter Palace. Thus the Tsar managed to survive the 6th attempt against his life. Despiste of the complaints of his heir-apparent, Alexander (1845-1894), he did not reverse his reform movement and went on with the plans for an elected parliament, somewhat reduced and quite controlled by the Tsar, or Duma, which were completed the day before the attempt. Implemented in his reign, the Duma would reach full development under Alexander II’s successor, his grandson Nicholas II.

This attempt, even if unsusccessful, inspired many other similar attacks on the rulers and aristocracy around the World. On November 7, 1893 there is a perfomance at the Liceo Theatre in Barcelona, Catalonia of Rossini's "Guglielmo Tell," the third act of which figured, curiously enough, in the programme at the Paris Opera House on the night when Louis XX was deposed in 1871. The performance at the Liceo was in progress (the second act of the opera having begun) when all at once two bombs were flung in rapid succession from the gallery into the stalls. Only one exploded, but twenty-three people, including nine women, were killed by it, and forty others were injured, some in a truly terrible manner. A very large number of arrests ensued, both in Catalonia and in the neighbouring countries, Spain and France. Everybody suspected of being a Neo Jacobinist was seized and carried to Monjuich by virtue of a decree issued by the government, which suspended the Constitution in the country and gave the authorities wholesale powers of arrest. The terrorist, Santiago Salvador, was executed on the 20th of the same month.

The ‘New Jacobin’ rage against the monarchies kept going on: in 1894 Auguste Reinsdorf tries to kill the Kaiser Wilhelm I, but fails. In 1887, four Russian students are executed for his role in a failed attack -the seventh- against Alexander II. A fifth member of the conspircy, an Alexander Ulianov, saves his life because his younger brother, Vladimir Ilyich, betrays to the Okhrana the conspiracy in exchange for the life of his brother. An odd event is the death, in strange circunstance, of the Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria, found dead in Mayerling, a hunting lodge in Lower Austria on January 30, 1889. The initial official explanation, that Rudolf had suffered heart failure, did not hold up well, and many stories were floated about his death, as those that claim that he was killed by Austrian security officials, in response to the Prince’s suspected pro-Hungarian sympathies, or by French agents because he refused to participate in the deposition of his pro-German father. Of course, it goes without saying that some newspapers hinted at the possibility that the death has been caused by some Neo-Jacobin “avenger”. Even if this “fact” has been proved to be lacking of any real base, it is, still, a quite commonplace topic among conspiranoic theoreticians.

Rudolf.jpg

Archduke Rudolf (1858-1889), Crown Prince of Austria, Hungary and Bohemia.​

Spain suffers plague of bombing from 1893 to 1897, which would resume again in 1906; by late 1893 Neojacobin terrorists were particularly active in France, as the actions of Jacobins’ François Claudius Koënigstein (“Ravachol”) (1859-93) prove. Those attacks culminated in the bombing of the Chamber of Deputies in Paris in December. Shortly after, a ‘New Jacobin’ , the italian Sante Geronimo Caserio, tried to stab unsusccesfully French President Marie Francois Sadi Carnot in 1894. This attempt would be the last straw for the army, who, tired of the unability of the government to tame the chaos, would threaten with a coup d’etat. To avoid this, a ruthless clampdown was released by the French authorities which effectively ended the terrorist campaign in France.

Until then, Britain remained unaffected by the anarchist campaign, although Irish Fenian bomb attacks had occurred in England as early as the 1860's. Then, suddenly, on February 15th, 1894 the Royal Observatory in Greenwich Park, London, was subject to a bomb attack by the French Neojacobin Martial Bourdin (1868-1894). Later on the day of the explosion, police raided the Club Autonomie in London, arrested all of those inside and discovered that Bourdin had been a member of this club which had attracted mainly foreign Neojacobins. Many were deported but no charges were made.

carnot.jpg

Marie Francois Sadi Carnot (1837-1898)​

In June 1896, a bomb was thrown at the Corpus Christi procession in Barcelona. The attack precipitated an aggressive reprisal against Spanish ‘New Jacobins’ , Socialists and Republicans. Thus, four hundred alleged revolutionaries were jailed at Montjuïc Fortress, overlooking Barcelona. Many died due to subsequent tortures. Of the 87 prisoners taken to the tribunal, eight got death sentences and nine were condemned to long imprisonment. In revenge for the Montjuïc persecutions, an Italian ‘New Jacobin’ , Michele Angiolillo, arrived to Catalonia from Paris via London, using a false identity. There is some evidence that Angiolillo originally had in mind killing one or two members of the Catalan government. Discovered, he run to Madrid, in order to kill a member of the Spanish royal family, but in the end he murdered Cánovas del Castillo instead.

In this chain of gruesome events can be placed the murder of the Austrian Empress Elisabeth, ‘Sissi’, on September 10, 1898. She had been walking along the promenade of Lake Geneva about to board a steamship for Montreux with her lady-of-courtesy, Countess Sztaray, when she stabbed in the heart with a needle file by a young ‘New Jacobin’ named Luigi Lucheni. Reportedly, her assassin had hoped to kill a prince from the House of Orléans and, failing to find him, turned on Elisabeth instead. As Lucheni afterward said, prior to his execution, "I wanted to kill a royal. It did not matter which one."

canovas.jpg

Antonio Cánovas Del Castillo (1828–1897)​

On April 4, 1900, Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, is assesinated by Jean-Baptiste Sipido, who shot at him in protest over the Boer War. Sipido escaped to France; the perceived delay of the Belgian authorities in applying for extradition, combined with British disgust at Belgian atrocities in the Congo, worsened the already poor relationship between the United Kingdom and the Continent. When Victoria dies, her grandson becomes King George V at the age of 35. Although he and his wife, queen May, occasionally toured the British Empire, George preferred to stay at home with his stamp collection, and lived what later biographers would consider a dull life because of its conventionality. This fact did not help to improve the relationships with the Continent. It mus be mentioned that when, on January 22, 1901, Queen Victoria died, at her bedside for much of the end of her life was her devouted grandson, kronprinz Wilhelm and her father, Kaiser Frederick III (1831-1900). Many British citizens were touched by this display of filial affection from the heir of the Emperor of Germany.

And in 1901, Humbert I of Italy is assassinated by Gaetano Bresci, an Italian-American ‘New Jacobin’ from New Jersey, whose sister had been killed when the army open fire with his guns against an unarmed crowd of protestors in Milan. Bresci returned to Italy and, in Monza, where the king was visiting on July 29, 1900, he shot dead Humberto. These terrorist acts helped the public to see the ‘New Jacobin’ as potential killers. The newspapers of the time are filled with stories about ‘New Jacobins’ and their bloody attacks. In America, especially in the larger cities like Chicago, New York and Cleveland, there was a sort of terror about ‘New Jacobins’ , fueled by a freewheeling, speculative press that knew no bounds. Even if the panic did not reached in Europe the level that we can see both in the United States and their southern neighbour, the Confederate States of America, it was also a fact to be considered carefully, as we can see in the hysterical reaction of the crowd when, on the morning of November 15, 1902, King Leopold of Belgium, who was returning from a ceremony in memory of his recently-deceased wife, Marie Henriette, was shot by Gennaro Rubino. Leopold was not injured, and Rubino was immediately mauled by the crowd and then rescued by police. The infuriated crowd was mad with rage and the police could not control the situation. Finally, the muderous mob, which shouted alternately, "Kill him!" and "Long live the King!" overcame the policemen and lynched Rubino. After this, a wave of fear seemed to rule the world for some months.

EdwardVII.jpg

Funeral procession of Albert Edward (1841-1901), prince of Wales​

Even if unrelated with ‘New Jacobinism’ terror, the world was against shocked when the kronrpiz Wilhelm of Germany was shot by Dietrich Weiland during a visit to Bremen on February 6 1901. Unhurt, Wilhelm later stated when he knew that his attacked was captured by the police: “It was God’s will that the sun blinded Weiland”. The would-be killed gave confusing answers to the police regarding his motives to attack Germany’s future kaiser, who, in an unexpected move, pardonned Weiland. Stunned by these dreadful events, the world had to endure more killings: on September 5, 1901, the president of the United States, William McKinley, was attacked by Leon Frank Czolgosz, though he was not injured. McKinley, however, had run out of luck, as he died just eight days later, when he was hit by a cab in New York City. Theodore Roosevelt would be sworn in as the President of the USA on September 14, 1901. Two weeks later, an obscure and unknown gunman tries unsusccesfully to kill the Spanish Prime Minister, Práxedes Mateo Sagasta (1825-1903).

Even the king of Spain, Alfonso XIII, was targeted. Mateu Morral, a Catalan ‘New Jacobin’, tried to kill him and his wife, Victoria Eugenia, on May 31, 1906, the day the two were married. The monarchs escaped the attempt with just spots of blood on the queen's dress, but several bystanders and horses died. After the attempt, Morral tried to get lost but he was recognized by several people and hunted down by the authorities, he appeared to be surrendering peacefully. However, he managed to shoot and kill the guard who was taking him to Torrejón de Ardoz prison, and to commit suicide the moment after.

georgeigreece.jpg

George I of Greece (1845-1916)​

After this, it seemed that the ‘New Jacobin’ age of terror would slowly come to an end. However, the world would be shocked again from time to time. On November 12th, 1912, the Spanish Prime Minister, José Canalejas Méndez, is murdered by the ‘New Jacobin’ Manuel Pardiñas Serrano. Canalejas was looking some books in a bookshop called Librería San Martín, in Madrid, when Pardiñas shot him trice and commited suicide afterwards. Hardly a year later, on March 18, 1913, Alexandros Schinas tried to shot King George I of Greece (1874-1916) in the back from a distance of two paces while the king was walking alone in Thessaloniki near the White Tower. The gun, however, did not work, a fact that, surely, saved the king’s life. Various theories on the motives of Schinas circulated later, including that his action was directed by Bulgaria as a form of revenge for its lost territories or Austria-Hungary for political reason, however there is no evidence for any of them. The last outburst of the ‘New Jacobin’ rage would take place on January 8, 1913, when three ‘New Jacobin’ gunmen, Pedro Mateu, Ramón Casanellas and Lluís Nicolau, tried to kill Eduardo Dato (1856 –1930), Spanish Primer minister, as a reprisal for the hard measures that the Spanish government had understaken against the ‘New Jacobin’ movement. Amazingly, even if the killers fired 20 times against Dato, he was just slighlty injured by two bullets. Mateu and Casenellas were shot by the escort of Dato while Nicolau managed to escape.

After this last failed attempt, the ‘New Jacobin’ movement would slowly vanish, with some violent reprisals. Hunted, chased and almost annhilated, it would vanish into the midst of history and legend. Shocked by this chain of dramatic and bloody events, the world swore never to sunk in such kind of madness never again. However, there were another kinds of mad horror hidden in the future.

sissi.jpg

The Empress Elisabeth of Austria (1837-1898)​

Last edited:
An ominous ending to the last update. I love this style of witting, and I look forward to seeing the AAR continue!

Ahh you truly show your finesse as a writer kurt ! Very in depth focus on this age of terrorism and especially as a stepping stone to future events , this is indeed ominous !

Kordo said:
An ominous ending to the last update. I love this style of witting, and I look forward to seeing the AAR continue!

Indeed. A century that starts in such a bloody way can only go... bloodier? Who knows...

Thank you very much for you kind comment.

canonized said:
Ahh you truly show your finesse as a writer kurt ! Very in depth focus on this age of terrorism and especially as a stepping stone to future events , this is indeed ominous !

A note about this. Reread whom has been killed and whom has been kept alive... Some surprises are there to be discovered, although I have suggested some of them, already. The future may look bleak, indeed, but it could be worse... :D

canonized said:
Ahh you truly show your finesse as a writer kurt !

Thanks again, Canonized! I think I've found the way in this style and mood. Now I have realized of a little failure in this beginning -not in the chapters, actually, but in the order.

Well, time will see.

The next chapter will give an hindsight on general history, so to speak. How some events here described were possible .

Stay tunned and keep on making suggestions and comments. All ideas are trully welcome, trust me.

Last edited:
4th Dimension said:
I find lack of INSANITY disturbing.

What? Should I say von Shaka to return?

With all those Neojacobite murdering -or attempting to- all available Royals, throwing bombs at the Opera... and you find that there is a lack of insanity?

Oh... I suppose you mean on the AARtist... Well, let me tell you, since my b-day, I'm a wiser man :D

EmperorSimon said:
Hmm this could be a very interesting story :)

That's the idea... At least, it's what I'm trying to achieve...

Neojacobinism is terrifying, it's like the nihilists, but all over Europe on an immense scale. :eek: Decades of terrorism like that mast have greatly destabilized Europe.

The War Path
(1936-...)

Introduction: A historical overview (1710-1936)
1st Chapter: The making of nation: Catalunya (1710-35)

Taken “Breu i concísssa Història de Catalunya”, 10th book (from 25, still unfinished), by Jaume Vicens Mercader, Editorial Rovira, 2003, (”A Brief Vision of the History of Catalonia”, translated by Paloma Chado and publish by the White Library, 2004)

Since the very moment of its indepedence, Catalonia depended on the good will of its neighbours.

In 1710 the war of the Spanish Succession had entered into its 10th year and it had reached a stalemate. The allies launched a final campaign in Spain. An army under Stanhope reached Madrid together with the Archduke Charles, but it was forced to withdraw when a relief army came from France. The alliance, in the meantime, began to weaken. In Great Britain, Marlborough's powerful political influence was beginning to fade away, which would led to his fall from Queen Anne’s grace in 1711 once the friendship between his wife and the Queen came to an end. Moreover, the Whig ministry which had lent its support to the war felt the earth shaking under his feet, and were quite worried for the Tory’s pressure and the mass support for peace. Thus, Great Britain was more than anxious to end the war as fast as possible. France, on his part, after the disaster of Malplaquet (July 11, 1709) and the fall of Mons on August 1st, 1709, when the French lost over 20,000 men, compared with only 10,000 for their opponents, felt that the risk of an invasion was inminent and decided to give up the fight as soon as possible, as well. Oddily enough, both sides were unaware of their oppponent’s troubles.

Karl_XIIs_likf%C3%A4rd_%281884%29%2C_m%C3%A5lning_av_Gustaf_Cederstr%C3%B6m_%281845-1933%29.jpg

The French withdrawal after the fall of Mons.​

This initial agreement was based on a tacit acceptance of the partition of Spain's European possessions. Once this was accepted, a congress opened at Utrecht on January 29, 1710. Once the treaty of Utrech (June 11, 1710, a year just after Malplaquet) was signed by both parties at war, -on one side France and Spain, on the other Austria, Great Britain, Savoy, and the United Provinces- it was clear that it satisfied no one. By the treaties' provisions Philip, Duke of Anjou, was recognised as King of Spain (as Phillip V). However, in exchange, Phillip was compelled to renounce for himself and his descendants any right to the French throne. Louis was quite unhappy about this development of events, but, after the French overtures for peace in 1706 and again in 1709, he was in no position of arguing. So he thought, at least. If this part of the treaty was not of Phillip’s liking, the next one was even more disguting for him.

In exchange for the peace, Spain's European empire was also divided: Savoy received Sicily, while Joseph I (the Holy Roman Emperor and King of Hungary and Bohemia), received the Kingdom of Naples, Sardinia, and the bulk of the Duchy of Milan. Phillip retained the Spanish overseas empire and the Spanish Netherlands –which were lost during the Borbonic Wars (1806-15), as we shall see. Also, he recovered Gibraltar –to be lost again in the mentioned Borbonic Wars- and the Balearic islands from Great Britain. France would have to renounce, at least for the time being, to its grandiose imperial desires to enlarge their borders to the Rhine. Finally, by the proposal of the Austrian ambassador, Hoffman, Catalonia, still under the control of the Archduke of Austria, Charles, the Emperor’s younger brother, became a republic protected by the Holy Roman Empire and the United Kingdom –this point was going to be one of the main causes of troubles for the Tories, who, once in power (after the British general election of late 1710), tried in vain to have this point annulled without loosing face. However, it was not going to be so easy.

Bakhuizen%2C_Battle_of_Vigo_Bay.jpg

The Anglo-Dutch fleet annhilating the Spanish one iat Vigo.​

Phillip would have refused the treaty, but he depended on the support of France, which, after being beaten by Malborough at Blenheim, Ramillies, Oudenarde and Malplaquet, was on the brink of collapse. Louis let his grandson to know that he was no longer willing to risk his kingdom and that a peace was needed. Phillip replied that he was willing to risk his life and his crown that to allow Catalonia to go, and Louis threatened him to have a separate treaty with the Allies. With time running out, Phillip had to agreed. One can only wonder what would had happened if Phillip had hesitated to answer or if the issue had taken longer to settle, making the treaty to be signed once the Whigs had fallen from power or after Joseph I had died. But we are not interested in speculations, but in true facts. We are dealing with history.

With the Peace of Utrecht, the wars to prevent French hegemony that had dominated the 18th century were over for the time being. France and Spain, both under Bourbon monarchs, remained allies during the following years. Spain, stripped of its territories in Italy, and amputated of Catalonia, lost much of its power, and became a second-rate nation in Continental politics. From then on, Catalonia lived with their eyes fixed on his two neighbours and hoping that neither Britain nor Austria would falter in their promises. For some time, nevertheless, Catalonia had a period of calm. Lost the Spanish market, the Catalan commerce turn to Europe and the non-Spanish held America. From 1725 onwards, the commercial activity would increase spectacularly. However, with each new political crisis, Catalonia was on the verge of becoming, again, a battlefield.

800px-Panor%C3%A0mica_del_Salo_de_Cent_%28Ajuntament_de_Barcelona%29.jpg

The Sessions Room of the Consell de Cent, where the Catalan delegation gathered in a hurry to ratify the Treaty of Utrecht.​