• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An excellent AAR, Merrick, and while I wish you would continue with another generation of Elena's family, I can understand you reached a good ending point. I was very impressed with your writing style which as everyone has noted captured so wonderfully the human impact of all those sprites moving around on our screens. Congratulations and I look forward to your next one.

I followed your AAR and found it very interesting, compliments!

I'd just like to thank everyone who read and commented - feedback is what keeps an AAR going (and it tickles me to see that people got my last line).
Special thanks to Catknight, Braedonnal, The Kingmaker and Hastu Neon, who I don't think I've seen before.

And Troggle? Stay tuned, there's a little something I'm working on...

I just realized you'd finished this. A very nice "slice of a game" AAR. It seems to have come full circle. I dare say the daughter will not have to go through as much heart-ache as Elena did. Congrats on finishing. This was a real pleasure to read! :)

I really enjoyed reading this. I liked the melancholic tone of it and thought that the last line of that last post was particularly good. All in all, well written, well done. Thanks for digging up those old game notes and giving us this story. :)

Excellently disturbing story, merrick. It really makes you think about what the numbers and generic messages popping up all over in games really mean.

When I'm scraping the bottom of the manpower pool in my Belgium HOI1 game, I curse the the $#&@*! game. "Why the hell do I only get 2.0 new manpower points per month!? That's only a fifth of a division!" But, you know what, if I only have 3 manpower left, that means that there are only 20-30 thousand men between ages 16 and 35 in the ENTIRE nation of Belgium. That leaves a lot of mothers (millions) waiting for their sons to come back from the FUBARed hellhole of Koln. So far I figure i've lost over 600,000 men. The war has been going on for 6 months. Those 30,000 men will be dead in a week, if I call them up.

That's just a thought I had after reading "The Walls of the City," a thought I'd only had in a sort of abstract way before. ("Damn, think about all the dead." is about as far as I'd gone.)