• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter One
Part 3
The adults all whispered as if a single wooden door and a pane of glass was going to stop Saxori's ability to just feel what was going on. They might as well've had the conversation in front of her in the form of an opera. It might've not been as subtle, but it would've been just as easy to hear.

She could hear that the fall out was... confused. Her father was particularly insistent that he had noticed the bruises on her arm from where people had grabbed her and that the bus driver had done little despite the protests of several parents for various incidents. The boy, though, was currently in the hospital. Severe concussion. Whiplash. And mild blood loss. Saxori, the driver and the school principal insisted, was a danger and she could've gone through any number of 'proper channels' to report the incident, but her father knew she already had.

Saxori's focus on the discussion was interrupted by the door opening and the heavy clacking of two sets of hooves clipping and clopping on the hardwood floors. The main administrative lead for the school walked in her tight two part suit and skirt perhaps a little too risqué for a school on an agri-planet, but it was normal fashion on her own home in the Voon system. Behind her was a gentleman in government regalia, including a number of medals that hung from below his name tag.

"g-Cerxus, please. The principal will be finished..." she cleared her throat, "shortly."

"No they won't," Saxori said.

Cerxus, who had until that moment been completely unaware of Saxori, glanced over at her.

"Oh. t-Saxori, I didn't see you there."

"I... uh... was here when you left."

"Was it that gang again?"

"Yup."

The administrator looked from Saxori, to Cerxus, to the principal's door, where a hand had just grabbed the knob but hadn't gone as far as to turn it, and then back to Saxori. She squinted her eyes at "What happened?"

"I defended myself."

"You wh—"

"What happened?" Cerxus asked.

"Oh. Nothing. I'm sure," the administrator said, giving Saxori a sign to stay quiet.

But Saxori didn't want to stay quiet. "Some kids attacked me. So I defended myself."

Cerxus gave her an incredulous look. "You?"

"Yes. Me," Saxori said with a little flick of her chin. "Is that so hard to believe?"

Cerxus looked at the administrator for some sort of answer, but she only motioned toward the coffee machine. "Can I get you anything, g-Cerxus?"

He lingered over Saxori for a few seconds, before quickly snapping his head to the administrator, who tried to keep his attention with a little look and holding the pot up off the heating pad. "Sure. I'd love some."

"Cream?"

"Just sugar, please."

So what happened?

His voice was as clear as day.

Saxori gestured toward the door. They're not exactly being quiet about it.

I want to hear it from you.

Bullies came. I defended myself. Not so sure what makes that a big deal.

It's not about what you did, is it? Y—

"g-Cerxus, your coffee."

"Oh. Thank you."

"Let's take you back to my office for the time being."

"That sounds perfect, thank you. We shall talk more on the matter soon enough, t-Saxori." He reached into his breast pocket, produced a small holographic chip, and handed it to her.

Saxori didn't muster any response other than to take the card. She didn't even give him a little nod, but instead tracked the official and the administrator as they headed off through an identical door to the one separating her from what was apparently her fate here at the school, having been so close to escaping it forever anyway.

Both locks clicked nearly at once and she quickly stashed the card in her bag.

From the principal's office, her father emerged, hand firmly on the nod, face clearly showed he had no time for the spineless hemming and hawing whataboutisms of the school administration.

"t-Saxori. You're coming home with me."

"t-Salnon, if you take her we will be forced to mark her truant."

"Fine. Better truant than tortured."

The principal scowled.

Her father turned, hand still on the door, and thrust the other at a full point toward the principal. "And don't think that I don't know that boy isn't your nephew. The flower never falls far from the cactus and you're all just bad bacanora from bad pulque."

Saxori sighed at her father's mixing of folksy farm idioms.

He turned back toward her. "Let's get going."

"What about the job faire?" Saxori asked.

"What about it?"

"If I don't go, do I graduate?"

Her father bit his lip before dropping the weak look and looked back to the principal, his finger falling limp at his side.

Of course not.

The thought floated across his mind, and he wasn't necessarily wrong, just heavy-handed in his use of his authority. But just as quickly as he thought it as he looked over at Saxori, acutely aware that she was listening to the unspoken.

"t-Saxori, How much did you hear?" he asked.

She couldn't help but let a little smirk cross her face. "Hear?"

Her father mirrored her smile, even chuckled, but the principal's brow furrowed deeper. "You know what I mean."

Anger​

"No I don't," she lied.

The principal's face twisted up for a second, but he tempered his anger with a deep breath. "t-Salnon, just get her out of here. We can figure out what that means later."

Lie​

Dad. No. Saxori whispered.

Salnon froze up, then leveled his finger back at the principal's chest. "No. You're trying to make this my fault. You figure out what's going on now, and not later, when you can concoct some justification after-the-fact."

The principal brushed it away. "Fine. She can graduate, but she might as well lose the whole year without the faire. But let's be honest, she was going to end up on that little farm of yours regardless."

Saxori felt her father's anger flare up, above and beyond anything she had ever sensed. She didn't know what to do, or if there was anything she could do, but she reached out for him in the whispers between them, and when she took hold of him, it was like a wire was connected, and the anger flowed out of him, and into her. Her own blood boiled and she felt every tendril of power seeping out of her.

They wrapped themselves around the principal. Invisible and unfelt, for now.

It was taking over.

Down to the core.

She had to do something.

Click.

Silently one of the tendrils reached under the door, up to the deadbolt, and clicked it into place.

"Good-bye," Salnon said, taking hold of Saxori's arm and pulling her away.

The administrator was standing in the hall, Cerxus beside her. "Oh, t-Salnon, sorry we have to run into each other so soon. And t-Saxori?"

Saxori's father didn't stop to make pleasantries, just kept marching to the door. Saxori managed a wink as a roar came from the principal, who must've just found himself locked out of his own office. Cerxus gave her a serious look and signed a rectangle with his fingers, to which she patted the side of her bag.

"Cheers, t-Saxori. t-Salnon," he said.

Outside, Salnon fumbled with the fob to unlock the doors of the old pickup, but Saxori beat him to it. "Dammit, t-Saxori. I told you to stop using doing shit like that out in the open."

"I just unlocked the doors, dad."

"You think that's what I'm talking about now?"

"Of course not," she said, feeling especially bold with this morning's events. "But I didn't mean to. It just sort of... happened. You know?"

"You know I don't."

"Well, that's what it's like. It just sorta gets away from you. And when some creep is grabbing at you... well... I guess I was done with it."

"Apparently he's hurt pretty bad."

"Good."

Salnon was silent as he hit and held the start-up button to get the turbines turning. He held this flat, stern face, breathing only through his nose, so Saxori knew even without her powers that he agreed with her, but also knew he couldn't say it.

"He's lucky I didn't throw him through a window."

"He is. And you're lucky you didn't get your year revoked. But the principal's right: I don't know what you're going to do without the job faire. You'd have to wait a year anyway or travel to one of the bigger systems, and we don't have that sort of money right now."

His voice was tinged with a sincerity that Saxori had not expected.

"Also, who was that city-chap with a-hAracyra?"

Saxori reached into her bag as the communicator on the dash of the truck lit up.

"It's the school," her father said with a worried glance toward her.

She smirked.

"What did you do?"

"Nothing," she lied.

"You locked the door, didn't you?"

Her smile curled just a little further and he mirrored it as he hit the 'reject' button.

She pulled the card out of her bag and looked it over. It had some basic info and a play button.

Urrai g-Cerxus, Officer Second-Grade (Retired)
Psy-Corps Recruiter: Trans-Selean Worlds
gCerx12 AT psycorp DOT ts DOT gov

Psy-Corps?

"What's that?" her father asked, rejecting a second call from the school.

"He gave me a card while you were in the office fighting."

"Card?"

Saxori hit the play button. A little government march played a holographic form of Cerxus appeared to walk out of, and up onto, the card. "Greetings. I am Urrai g-Cerxus, Retired Officer Second-Grade of the Psy-Corps, now serving as a recruiter in the Trans-Selean—"

Brother

Pain

Fear

Anger

Hatred

Fear

Fear

Fear​

She couldn't shake the wave of fear that washed over her from her father, much like the wave of anger, but there was nowhere to channel it to, or anyway to let it even enter her. It was like water behind a dam. There. Always at risk of running over. But contained and guarded.

"No," her father said flatly over the card's continued formalities. "Throw it away."

She paused the recording. "What?!"

"No. Not listening to anymore."

"Dad!"

"No. Do not 'dad' me, t-Saxori. No. Absolutely not."

"What is it?"

"No."

"I'm not asking for a yes or no, I want to know what it is," Saxori insisted.

"No."

Final​

He turned the corner onto the old dirt road home, the anti-grav suspension creaked and groaned in protest as he took it at a few kph over the posted limit, hitting the bumps and potholes with only a half-mind to the road. She looked the card over while she though he wasn't looking.

GRAB

Salnon reached over with his right hand, trying to grab at the card, eyes shifted away from the road for just a second as the anti-grav suspension tried to keep the vehicle on the straight and level.

"DAD!"

"Get rid of it."

"THE! ROAD!"

The left front anti-grav gave out for a second, but it was long enough to pitch the vehicle left, for her father to over-correct, and then for the vehicle to pitch violently to the right, right at a line of trees and an irrigation run-off ditch.

Stress is a function of force over an area.

Localized high stresses can cause plastic deformations.

Redistributing force over a greater area.

The old pickup slowed like it had been caught in a giant net, the front half dangling dangerously over the irrigation ditch, far above the height the anti-gravs should've been able to support it, but it was solid enough, and soon the loose knick-knacks inside the cabin settled in new locations.

"Dad!"

Salnon sat there, frozen, both hands on the wheel, staring straight out into the field they had nearly died in.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I am getting a slight - only slight mind you - vibe from the school-yard fight at the beginning of Ender's Game.

There is something deeply off-kilter here. Persons reacting in ways that don't yet make sense.

In other words, I am still intrigued.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am getting a slight - only slight mind you - vibe from the school-yard fight at the beginning of Ender's Game.

There is something deeply off-kilter here. Persons reacting in ways that don't yet make sense.

You and me both.

You and me both.
I'm glad that folks are enjoying it, hopefully I can keep the feeling up. Our time on Jugrad Secundus, though, is nearing its end.

I missed this and now that I am fully back on the forum (at least for some time), I just caught up.

I'm intrigued, clearly if you continue someday, I'll be there to read. ;)

I missed this and now that I am fully back on the forum (at least for some time), I just caught up.

I'm intrigued, clearly if you continue someday, I'll be there to read. ;)
Well then. I'll try to plug away at it a bit more this week. I actually got a bit more written this morning, but right now I am trying to get over a hump in my main writing project, which will hopefully help free up needed brain power. Luckily my assistant is here to help as well.

1590431019510.png

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Seems like you have the best assistant ever! I need an assistant like that for my writing now! Clearly she holds the secret to the keyboard pen! :cool:

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter One
Part 4

Saxori looked at the business card in her hand. Upon arriving home she ran immediately to her room, leaving her parents to argue over the day's events. Her father would win, of course. He almost always did. He chose his battles carefully, always making sure it was something he felt far more strongly about than her mother. They'd spare over it for a bit, eventually he'd pour them both some Bacanora, the tone would lighten but the topics would deepen. If he cared, he'd weather through anything and come out ahead.

Well? Listen to it.

Her finger had been hovering over 'play' for at least two or three minutes now.

She was afraid.

Afraid of what it would offer.

Afraid that it was already out of her grasp.

Afraid of what would happen if her father heard. Maybe she was afraid of what she'd hear. She held her breath, hoping that something would stop her. That her phone would ring and Nithwure would want to hear all the details about what had happened and where she was. If she'd graduate.

But the phone was silent.

She clicked it.

She hadn't meant to, but it was inevitable.

"Greetings. I am Urrai g-Cerxus, Retired Officer Second-Grade of the Psy-Corps, now serving as a recruiter in the Trans-Selean Sectors and humble servant of the Immortal God-Emperor Orzakson the First, Childe of the Shroud and bless by the Whisperer of Secrets. If you've received this card, it is because I have seen potential in your abilities. Please conta—

don't contact me at the email on the card."

Saxori furrowed her brow.

"If you can hear this, you are attuned more deeply to the Shroud around us than ninety-nine point seven percent of people. There are many paths ahead of you, but few are more challenging, more rewarding, and more fulfilling, than that with the Congress. The Congress is the Psy-Corp and so much more. The Congress is the Emperor's Sword. The Fist of the Empire. First among the people. What the Empire has accomplished, it has done so because of the Congress. This is a rare offer. Sense my presence. If you can. Reach out, through the Shroud, contact me, and you have already proven yourself."

"—if all that interests you, the Psy-Corp might be for you!"

And the little hologram ended, and left Saxori feeling lost.

Downstairs Saxori could hear the cling of bacanora glasses and Saxori's heart rose up into her throat, though she couldn't explain why. She had no attachment to whatever this was that Cerxus was putting down in front of her except for what it meant.

"No. t-Salnon. You always do this. Not this time. Not with her."

"t-Seiriqine..."

"She wants out. She wants off. Away from this. I know you see it."

"How could I not?"

"Then why stop her?"

"If it was anyone, anything else. Not them. Not after what they did to..."

Saxori felt her mother form the words that were so hard to say, but needed to be said, lest her father keep living in a world of his own reckoning. A world that was driving him mad. "Nothing happened to your brother than your brother didn't choose for himself. He wanted off. And he got off. If you haven't heard from him for one reason or another, that is your brother's choosing. You know that if something had happened to him, nefarious or not, you'd've heard. The lie. The lie that he died in the line of duty, serving the Emperor. You wouldn't hear nothing."

There was a sudden and immediate silence. Then a thud, like flesh on wood. And another.

Silence.

Saxori cracked open her door and silently moved to the top of the stairs, where should could better hear, and there she heard a sound she had never experienced before. Salnon was crying. She could hear it, feel it, was nearly consumed by it, but she, like her father, was spared from this torment by her mother, whose calming presence radiated outward.

"He could've told me the truth."

"t-Salnon. You're absolutely right. He owed you that much. But what would you've done? If you knew?"

"I'd've socked him right in the face. And then I would've helped him pack."

Saxori went back into her room and shut the discussion downstairs out. She didn't know much about her uncle really more than he existed. Somewhere. And now it seemed like all that was a lie. There was no trip to the station. Any flight to Voon was the first flight of many to anywhere but here.

The young tiefling settled beside her window, looking up at the twin suns. She thought about the card, taking it back out and turning it over in her hands to see if there was some clue. Some key to finding Cerxus. It wouldn't be enough to find him, a chance encounter in the market or the off-world station wasn't talent, it was brute force at best and coincidence at worst.

The Shroud.

The Shroud.

She had heard of that before, or knew of it, at least. Cerxus' card mentioned it too, but even before that. Saxori looked over at her door and the deadbolt clicked into place then she pulled the curtains closed. What was it? How did she reach into it?

The Shroud envelopes all of us.

Here.

And beyond.

The one constant.

That doesn't mean anything. Saxori replied. She closed her eyes. Relaxed her shoulders, and sat more upright, achieving as neutral a position as she possibly could. She reduced her breathing. Tried to let the uppermost part of her thoughts fade to nothing.

But it was a horrible loop – thinking about thinking about nothing and looking at the back of your eyelids.

She opened her eyes, rearranged herself firmly on the floor, legs crossed, and took a deep, deep breath. And instead of nothing, she sought something. A random, maybe not random, feeling, a tug, a push, a slope, the change in the world around her. She put more and more of her mind to it. Reaching out. She closed her eyes, but her vision didn't fade, only shifted. The bed was still there. The floor, the curtains, the outside, the suns, and the barn.

As Saxori ventured out, it wasn't as if she moved, rather the world bent and moved around her, shrinking as she moved past it, her room reduced to a few inches in front of her, while the barn was full sized, and as she passed it, it too shrank down, further compressing her room, and the world beyond began to grow into the picture from a point on the horizon.

Down the road.

Past the spot where she and her father crashed.

Back toward the school.

But Cerxus was leaving...

Toward town. There was really only one place for him, the hotel on the outskirts, the one with a bar and a restaurant for all the fancy folks from the important systems checking in on investments here on the frontier. She went through the doors, past the water sculpture, toward the bar, where, in this beyond, she felt her hooves touch the jelly-solid ground.

"t-Saxori," Cerxus said with a little nod of approval.

"g-Cerxus, s-sorry for taking so long."

He furrowed his brow. "Long?"

"I-I-I tried somethi—"

"This is your first time?" A shadowy version of him stepped out of his body, and stood in front her. "This is your first time? Where are you? Did you find me here?" He looked around. "No..."

"I'm back in my room. My parents are arguing about all this and I wanted to know... I want out of here."

"I... uh... of course. Of course you do. Your first time and so..." His brow relaxed, but it didn't soften into a smile or nothing, Saxori could feel the worry dripping off him.

"W-why a—"

"Never mind that. When you return to your body, the card will have further details. It will act as your ticket, so do not lose it."

"Ticket?"

"It will get you to Sutharia."

"S-sutharia? The capital?"

"Yes."

Saxori felt a bloom in her chest, a sudden burst of pure happiness, when suddenly Cerxus grabbed her by the shoulders. "Focus! By the Emperor you are..." He took a breath. "If you lose focus, you will snap back to your body. If it's just a few feet, or if you know how to slow the return, it might not be so bad, but..."

"I-I can't... Sutharia!"

Cerxus bit his lip. "I understand. Go. Go home yourself. Then be excited? Please?"

"R-right."

She didn't wait for him to say or do anything else. She just pushed away, back the way she came, the world expanding and contracting as she went under the tall gate at the entrance to the farm, up over the barn, and then with a final burst of speed, through her window and into her room, where her mother and father were panicking over her sprawled out body.

Fear gripped her and in that instant she felt pulled back toward her body where she hit the floor with a crash, bolting upright with the real world spinning around her, amid the cries and pleas of her parents. Suddenly it was too bright to see and too painful to keep upright, so she laid back down, but her parents gathered close to her, her father getting his hands under her and carrying her to her bed.

"t-Saxori, t-Saxori... what happened? Are you okay?" His hands were covered in her bright-blue blood.

"Y-yeah. I'm fine... dad."

He looked over his shoulder back at her mother, who was standing with her mouth covered in horror.

Last edited:
Excellent, you are continuing. I have a soft spot for well written coming of age stories. I wonder if and when she'll meet her uncle and what he'll have to say.

The worry of her father is understandable. But she is a youth. Youth often finds a way.

Innocence, once lost, cannot be regained.