• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mr. Capiatlist

Mademoiselle Gothique (she/her/hers)
88 Badges
Dec 4, 2003
nhkendall.com
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
The Veil of Mind and Empire
A Surely Doomed Tale by Mr.C

cities_of_the_future_by_jonasdero_d5jkvqs-fullview.jpg

credit: Jonas De Ro (deviant art)

Updates Occasionally

Chapter One
Part One
Part Two
Part Three

Part Four
Part Five - Coming Soon!

###
This story was painstakingly translated out of the native Sutharian into the English language. Some words, names, and species names have been altered for improved understanding. Pronunciation guides will be given if necessary.

Cast (Major):
  • Thyneron t-Saxori, Saxori (IPA: [t͡ɕn̩'ɛ.ɾon ta'ʃo.ɾi], [sa'ʃo.ɾi])
Cast (Minor):
  • Thyneron Household
    • Saxori's father, Salnon (IPA: [sal'non])
    • Saxori's mother, Seiriqine (IPA: [seɪ̯'ɾiq.in.ɛ])
    • Saxori's sibling, Yuvari (IPA: [ju'va.ɾi])
  • Saxori's best friend, Nithwure (IPA: [nɪθ'wɯ.ɾe])
Locales:
  • Suth-Kasa System (Ternary System, Capital System); IPA: [sut͡ʃ'ka.sa]
    • Suth-Kasa (A)
      • Sutharia - Ecumenopolis, Capital of the Mandate of Suth-Kasa and Center of the Civilized Universe; IPA: [sut͡ʃ'aɾ.ɪə̯]
    • Suth-Kasa B
    • Suth-Kasa C
  • Jugrad System (Binary System, Trans-Selean Frontier); IPA: [jug'ɾad]
    • Jugrad A
      • Jugrad Prime - Mining and Processing World, Mandate of Suth-Kasa
      • Jugrad Secundus - Agri-World, Mandate of Suth-Kasa
    • Jugrad B

Last edited:
Nice, good luck MrC.

We Michiganders just got the shelter-in-place order from the Governor, so I might have a bit more time on my hands to write.

I'm in the LP, not far from Flint. Take care of yourself out there. Fingers crossed for the best.

Thanks.

We Michiganders just got the shelter-in-place order from the Governor, so I might have a bit more time on my hands to write.
Best of luck avoiding covid-19! I myself got tested a week ago and got a negative, but I have something in my system; 10th day of fever and stuff today. It is truly a troubling time to be alive, may we get through this all without losses.

Will follow

Best of luck avoiding covid-19! I myself got tested a week ago and got a negative, but I have something in my system; 10th day of fever and stuff today. It is truly a troubling time to be alive, may we get through this all without losses.
Thanks, and get well soon, regardless of cause.

Will follow
Thank you!

Chapter One
Part 1

Wake up.

What time is it?

Wake up, Saxori. The Winds of Fate are at your back.

What?

Will you deny them?

Saxori woke up. The only light in her room was the pale blue light of her alarm clock. The numbers, cold and uncaring, showed that there were at least three hours before she normally had to wake. Rejecting the call to fate, she turned over, but after a few minutes of trying too hard to relax, she gave up, sat upright, and preemptively turned the alarm function off with her tail. The cloven hooves of her feet hit the ground with an unavoidable click-clack and she made her way to the bathroom.

Toothbrush hanging from her mouth, she worked a comb through a night of tossing and turning before she went about hanging or tying her normal accoutrements to the two horns that ran from her forehead back over her ears where they swooped downward. She glanced down at her phone, held her in her tail, to check the temperature before getting dressed. A chilly 305 Kelvin.

APPROACH

Her father.

She could feel his approach. of course he was already awake, there was work to be done on the farm, but she had expected him to be outside, doing said work.

There was a light rapping on the other side.

"Sax?"

"You saw the light?"

"Uh... yeah... just making sure you're okay. You don't have school for a while."

"Yup," she lied.

"You been having trouble sleeping?"

"Nope."

Hurt​

She could feel his heart sink. He didn't believe her one bit, but what else was he going to do? She was growing up and it was clear this farm didn't offer the sorts of opportunities she deserved. He knew that she had been woken up like this six nights of the last eight. Knew but didn't understand. How could he?

A hand​

"You need some help before I head out this morning?"

"Nah. You'll get your dress dirty."

"Not dressed yet. I can throw on a pair of overalls."

She could hear his chest rise and fall. "Sure. That'd be great, sweety. See you in the barn."

He padded off, his clips and clops muted by his trusty pair of slippers. And only then did Saxori realize she had been getting ready bare-hoofed. With a quick bit of focus she scanned around the house.

SIBLING – ROOM – FETAL POSITION – BED

MOTHER – KITCHEN – STRAINING – OVEN

"Damn..." She carefully tip-toped back to her room, toothbrush still in mouth, foam still running down her chin and leaving little drops on the hardwood floor. She pulled her slippers up over her ankle and then returned to the bathroom, overalls half pulled up over her shoulders, before spitting the foam out, wiping up her drips with her hoof, and then pulling up the other strap as she went down the stairs to the main floor of the simple, wooden farmstead.

"You're making quite the ruckus," her mother said, holding a piping pan of something.

"Sorry! Helping dad."

"No. You wait her—"

Saxori was already outside, slippers off and tossed beside the door, where the trusty barn cat slept soundly in a box stuffed full of old crocheted dish cloths and out-grown blankets.

Angry​

No shit.

The dirt floor of the garage felt good between her hooves as she loped off toward the barn before her mother could figure out where to put that pan down. But it was too late and she dug her hooves in. The kitchen door flew open and the big double-roller door to the outside came crashing down just inches in front of Saxori's nose.

"Thyneron t-Saxori!"

"Mother! You nearly killed me."

"Hardly. What was with all that racket this morning? Can't you ever remember to put your slippers on?"

"I didn't wake anyone up who wasn't already awake."

Her mother's expression softened as she sighed. She cocked her head to the side so one of her horns glanced the wooden doorframe. "I get it. You're full of nervous energy. Job faire. All that. But I need you to relax and please... please for the grace of the Emperor, please remember your slippers."

"Mother."

"Yuvari is about to go through the transition. It's going to be rough for them."

"Mom."

"It wasn't that bad for you, but that was because there were more supplies here at the time, but with all the transports headed to the Nostea docks, we don't have access to training bras or pa—"

"Mom."

Her mother stopped, confident in her ability to make her children uncomfortable. "What, baby girl?"

"I promised dad I'd help in the barn."

"I know as well as you that he doesn't need help. What's he got to do this morning? Collect eggs? Done. Gather milk? Automated. Crops are sewn. Grass is growing."

"Still got to brush the pullers."

Her mother sighed. "That old beast won't be around long. We've already ordered his replacement. Not sure if we're going to be able to keep him if we need to be paying for fuel and oil."

Nostalgia​

"Yeah... yeah I know."

"Go. Go brush the beastie." With a little gesture, her mother lifted the roller door and went back into the kitchen.

The barn stood overlooking five or six hundred acres of farmland that felt as vast as the Empire itself. She took a second to take in the image of Jugard A rising over the unbroken horizon. It was a sight she had seen a million times and hopefully would see it a million more times.

"There's a billion of them... but that one is ours," her father side, a little nod toward the sunrise. He side-eyed her with a little smirk. "I couldn't imagine a different one."

"Haven't you ever traveled off planet?"

He shook his head.

"Not even when Uncle Morvir headed to Voon?"

"Nope. Took him as far as the station in town and then came back to demolish his house to make room for the bigger barn. You know. Your mum was born off world."

"Yeah. I know. Her folks brought her here because she couldn't handle the air on Jugrad Prime."

"Out to the boonies!" he said, with the same sweeping arm motion he did every time they told the story of her mother's coming to Jugrad Secundus. He chuckled, but it faded as a thought crossed his mind. Saxori waited for it to form in his head, but could feel it regardless. "Of course... Jugrad isn't exactly the Big City either."

Saxori caught a little glance from him to her that he had tried to hide.

"I want to see the Big City, one day."

Pain​

"Yeah... I guessed you'd say that one day. Big City... very— Well... you know. That's why you want to see it. Ah well. Let's play it one day at a time, yeah? Beastie is waiting to get brushed."

Saxori headed toward the barn, but stopped just shy of the entrance. She looked back at her head, sun beams gleaming off his up-turned horns. For a second, he looked like the young man in all the pictures hanging in the house. Surely this was his place, and not in the bad way. He had helped build it with his brother and their dad. Nearly eighty years ago. He had earned this place one way or another.

But...

The wind caught her hair and blew out from between her horns and over her face, blinding her in a forest of black. She hurried through the door quick before her dad could turn around and offer to help, critique her choice of ribbons and bands being purely aesthetic and not functional. Inside the old barn, the wooden exterior was propped up with stainless steel beams and machinery. The eggs were already all in cartons and the blue-green milk flowed through sterile tubes to the bottling lines down below the floor in the cooler subterranean rooms.

Beastie, the last of their large bio-mechanical plow-pullers, sat alone in the first stall of ten. She whinnied happily at Saxori's approach, alerted by the familiar click-clack of hooves on the old steel floors covered in a thin layer of hay.

"Hey, Beastie."

The six-legged puller stood nearly nine feet at the primary shoulder and was a pretty average sixteen feet long. Eight long, winding horns, reached an impressive five feet in length, a sign of just how old she was, despite her coat, which was still thick and deep brown. Saxori grabbed the brush from the wall and began to work through the think hair that covered much of the beast's back and protected it from the sun and insects that hung thick in the air during the planting season.

APPROACH

She turned just as her father came up to the stall.

It pained him. She could see it in his eyes just as easily as she could feel it come off him in waves. The words floated through his mind, words he knew she didn't want to hear. If you don't learn to hide it better...

Well, she didn't want to.

But that came with a whole host of new problems.

He put a gentle hand on Beastie and she shook in anticipation of scratches on her shoulder blades. "So. All grown up. You got the job faire today and everything. Going to hear about a whole lot of planting... and watering... and soil types."

"Yup. I guess so."

He shook his head. "I know you don't care for any of that. Of all the tieflings on Jugrad Secundus... I'm pretty sure you're the one most likely to get off this ball of dirt. I just want to make sure that you're careful. There's been a lot of government-types around and some of them mean well... and some of them are nice... just remember, government's primary job isn't helping anyone. Not anymore." He took his hand off Beastie and put it on Saxori's shoulder as he would one of his brothers. It was awkward, but only because it was sincere. He wanted to make sure he wasn't patronizing her.

"I know."

"And I'll tell you, the pulque and the bacanora once you get past the Selea Gate? Awful. You'll be dreaming of a taste of home."

"I don't drink, dad."

He smiled. "I know. You were always a good kid. Now. Before you see your old man cry. Get inside and have some breakfast."

• 1Like
Reactions:
Very intriguing.

Leaving can be very hard, on those leaving and on those left behind.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I really feel for this father. More than I feel for the daughter, at the moment. Youth need to spread their wings, but so often they miss the goodness right in front of them. At least this kid doesn't seem completely oblivious. :)

Sheltering in place calls for Stellaris, but Stellaris calls us out of sheltering in place!

Good luck and great start Mr.C.
Cheers!

Very intriguing.

Leaving can be very hard, on those leaving and on those left behind.
I really feel for this father. More than I feel for the daughter, at the moment. Youth need to spread their wings, but so often they miss the goodness right in front of them. At least this kid doesn't seem completely oblivious. :)
Thank you.

That's a sort of theme that follows a lot of my writing, perhaps given my own status as the blacksheep of my family and being the only one who still doggedly sticks to living in the [macro]region I was born in.

Sheltering in place calls for Stellaris, but Stellaris calls us out of sheltering in place!

Good luck and great start Mr.C.
Cheers!
Thank you as always! Stellaris does have a certain catharsis to it these days.

Part 2 is underway in parallel with my work from home and my novel writing. Hopefully coming in a day or two.

Chapter One
Part 2
The winds caught her face again, staying her by the barn door. She turned her back to it, which only blew her hair up over her horns and down across her face. Her father, just rounding out of Beastie's pen, couldn't help but chuckle.

"Weird weather. Little early for the summer gusts, but..." He shrugged. "They bring the smell of the bacanora wash... smokey."

Saxori spit her hair from her mouth. "I prefer the flowers in spring."

"So does your mother." He put his arm around her shoulder and the two of them walked back to the homestead. In the early morning sun, long red beams were cast over the land, bathing the white painted siding in orange. The smell of breakfast – fried eggs on a base of root vegetables and covered with shaved, fried meats. And fresh pressed mint soda.

Home​

"This is nice," Saxori said. "Home."

Her father nodded, eyes fixed on the place he's called home for so, so very long. "Get in there." He patted her back as she ran into the garage. "And don't forget your slippers!" he shouted, standing in a small cloud of her dust. She found them propped up against the wall, much more neatly than she left them, and pulled them on only after instinctively tapping each hoof against the hard floor first.

Inside, Yuvari sat in front of a piping plate with a half-empty glass of mint soda, through from the look of the pitcher, that wasn't their first.

"How's Beastie?" her mother asked.

"Brushed. Happy."

"Well, then, get some grub."

Saxori sat down across from her sibling before she poured herself a drink. "So, mum was saying that the decision is coming up. Have any thoughts on it?"

Yuvari's face turned a deeper shade of red. "No. Don't want to decide."

Their mother chuckled as she brought a fresh pan of fried eggs over for Saxori to choose from. "It's a hard choice. Sax, I remember you took your sweet time with it as well. So don't go telling your sibling any different."

"Well... don't let dad go around bossing his children into becoming farm equipment."

"t-Saxori!"

"What? It's true."

"Is that why you chose to be a girl?" Yuvari asked.

"N-no... not the only reason." Saxori buried her face into her hands before she could make eye contact with either of the others.

SPOON

Wha—

Her mother knocked spoon clean of the greasy fried bits at the bottom of the pan on the flat of a plate in front of Saxori, an act that would've sent anyone else diving for cover. "t-Saxori. That wasn't very polite. The decision is a complicated time for everyone, include the people around the decider. Yeah? Your father has had a rough time. Especially with his brother and everything. You - of all people - should know that."

"Yes, t-Seiriqine."

Her mother nodded before putting a few more scoops of hash on Saxori's plate before fixing one for their father next to a glass of pulque.

The door to the garage opened up. "What was that crash?"

Yuvari's face split into an evil grin. "Sax—"

But the busy housewife cut the child off. "Dropped a spoon."

"You?"

She walked over and the two kissed. "Yes. Me." Then she turned and shot both her children a stern glare.

Not a word, either of you.

Yes, t-Seiriqine.

Her father looked around, "Breakfast hash?"

"Just the way you like it. Less butter, more bacon fat."

He took a long hit of his pulque before reaching for the hot sauce. "Fantastic."

###​

A cloud of dust about a mile away was the only sign that the bus was, in fact, coming. Saxori sat on the small bench her father had put together for her first day of school all those years ago. Meanwhile, Yuvari went about dealing with the nigh-infinite nervous energy of early teenhood in the weeks leading to the decision. They fiddled around with some rock or stick they found on the ground before suddenly turning their full anger on it and hucking it deep into the field across the road.

"I hate this."

Saxori looked up from the bench and found her sibling looking back, focus unusually tight. "What?"

"All this attention. All the kids are talking about the decision, the decision... blah blah blah. What if I don't want to decide? What if I'm not ready?"

That was a rather big question to be asking of someone who was really only just considered an adult. She looked to the bus hoping for an out, but it was still far, far away, two or three stops down the way. "Well... um... I mean... I guess it isn't completely permanent."

Not enough​

"I don't care. I..."

"It's okay. Everyone's got to make that choice."

"Some people have it all figured out. Like you."

Saxori let out a loud laugh. "Me? Are you kidding me?"

"Well, you know... other than being a freak."

The laugh died. "I am not a freak."

"Sure..."

Loading ballistic formula with drag.

Calculating final distance based off of angle.

Initial velocity set above termina—

"NO!"

"W-what?"

"Nothing." Saxori muttered. "Nothing. But I'm not a freak, okay? Is mum a freak?"

"Yeah."

"a-Yuvari!"

"What? You're both freaks. You do city shit."

"Language!"

Yuvari stuck her tongue out at her big sister. "Everyone knows it."

Uncertainty​

Saxori took a deep breath. Tried to recenter her focus. "Do you want my advice or not, Yuvari?"

The younger child avoided the subject completely. "Bus is here."

Sure enough the bus was gliding over the rough dirt road no more than fifty yards away, the only anti-grav system humming hard and the forward thrusters sputtering as their reducers failed to find a stable point to shift to. And yet it would be years if not decades before it would be replaced.

The two of them grabbed their bags and their lunches and waited for the old bus to open its doors in a short little line. When the doors did open, with a rusty whine, the bus driver sat there with an already impatient look on her face, surely the work of the rowdy bunch behind her. Saxori and Yuvari got on quick and before they could even find their usual spot in seat 4L, the bus' gear sputtered to a zombie-like life and rocketed them off toward the school.

"Hey, Saxori."

Nithwure was a short, stout tiefling, with a longer-than-usual tail that she constantly stroked in her nervous energy. Her skin was yellow, unlike the usual reds or purples, and her horns relatively short, protruding from the front of her forehead only four inches or so.

Saxori sat next to her with a heavy thump and Yuvari took the aisle spot.

"Not looking forward to the faire, Niia?"

The other girl shook her head. "They're just going to tell me to be a housewife. Like everyone else."

"No..." Saxori lied.

"Big hips. Big ol' boobs. It's the same. It's always the same." Nithwure sighed. "You haven't figured out how to tell the future yet, have you?"

"No."

Yuvari snickered, but knew better than to invoke any more of the teasing from the other tieflings on the bus.

APPROACH

Saxori turned her head around just as one of worst offenders came up and sat down in the seat across from them. Despite them making eye contact, she tried to feign ignorance to his presence, looking forward again, even as his snicker grew in volume.

"How's it going, Xori? Still hanging out with this cow?"

Nithwure looked down at her hands and continued to stroke her tail, though just a little more nervously.

"I know you can hear me. You can hear everything, right? That's how this works. Get to listen to everything." A few people shuffled away, a few others moved in, encircling her, their thoughts all dark and grim, floating around her. One of the girls, the sadistic daughter of the local butcher, focused on her and her father butchering an old puller from a few months ago. The beast was broken down into its base components, some to be ground up, some to be cut up further, others to be bagged as is and sent to market for a low fee.

Saxori had to take a deep breath.

Focus.

But there was one, Saxori could never pinpoint who, who would imagine her tied down. Nude. Cut up and bruised. She knew it was one of the boys because it was clear he had never seen a woman's nudity before. It was a dark haunting, though, that followed her around most of the day.

"t-Saxori," Nithwure whispered, "you're crushing my hand."

Saxori looked down and saw that she had laced her fingers with her friend and was desperately squeezing for a sense of focus.

"Aww. Little girlfriend? You always did have a thing for fa—"

Jerk is the derivative of acceleration.

Measured in meters per second cubed.

Injury due to 'jerk' is often called 'whiplash'.

What?

REACH

The first boy grabbed for Yuvari, probably to yank them out of the way and take the closer spot to his targets, but Saxori turned around just in time to see him doing it and then a sudden force knocked the boy across his seat and up against the steel wall of the bus. His head hit with a particularly hard 'thunk'. He slid down the wall and fell into the seat in a heap, blood trickling from the back of his head.

There were a few screams, several of the tormenters scrambling to get away, but Saxori made no motion. She just locked eyes with the boy for a second.

He blinked. Probably forgetting where he even was. Before blacking out.

The bus was screeching to a halt, its thrusters suddenly set to 'reverse' in a bid to do it as quickly as possible.

Everything was happening so slowly.

The panicked faces.

The shrieks.

The pointed fingers.

All secondary details.

Deceleration protocols active.

A gentle cushion enveloped Saxori and her two seatmates, while the rest of the bus was forced to deal with the driver's decision to prioritize quick anger and punitive justice over the safety of all of the bus' occupants. When it was all said and done, children and young adults flung about the bus like dolls tossed in the air, the driver stormed back, voice echoing off the steel. "TA-SHOR-EE!"

She reached for the girl, but found herself floating two or three inches off the ground. Unable to move any closer to Saxori. Her eyes darted about, instinctively looking for the source of whatever was holding her aloft.

Saxori swallowed, let go of a breath she had been holding in for what felt like minutes now. She could feel the driver's weight. Not in her arms or through her back and legs, but an innate feeling. It wasn't heavy or light, just there. A number. To be understood and compared, but not fussed over.

Gently she could move that mass.

Backwards. She pushed.

And the driver floated back to the front of the bus where Saxori placed her carefully back onto her feat.

Drive.

"Drive."

• 1Like
Reactions:
Riveting and exciting stuff Mr.C. Definitely looking forward to what comes after the "Drive."

One admits to some sympathy for not liking all the attention, in both cases

• 1Like
Reactions:
Very interesting stuff. Subbed!

Riveting and exciting stuff Mr.C. Definitely looking forward to what comes after the "Drive."

One admits to some sympathy for not liking all the attention, in both cases

Very interesting stuff. Subbed!

New to the site, very interesting story so far!
Thanks everyone! Currently about a quarter to half-way through with the next update. I had a recent jolt of drive to work on novel #4 and, over the last two weeks, have put about 16,000 words into that instead of this.

I'm working on it, I promise.

Intriguing. So there is some psychic schenanigans going on.