• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A truly great Viking warrior.. I always love the beginning of an Old Gods start - everything is so fluid and chaotic in Northern Europe with the Vikings conquering new Kingdoms before seeing them fall apart. Its an exciting time :). Incidentally, I live less than five minutes away from those ruins you posted - so looks like I'll have been murdered in the Norwegian raid. !!

Trust me, cropping images is super easy, easier than using scissors to cut paper in actual fact. ;)

Yes it was easy to use, do the pictures look better now? But I saved them in jpg, is jpeg better?

Those evil Miklagarders!
Purge the lands of the enemies of Odin, let the followers of Vitkrist bleed white!

At least they gave the King and his son a glorious death :p But yes, their will be blood of the followers of Vitkrist ;)

Madness? This is... well, yeah, Hávarðr I was the living incarnation of madness XD Beautiful! Good to see the king died of his battle wounds, as a Norse hero should. You took Miklagard o.o way to go. I hope you continue to oppose the meek forces of the White Christ and demolish your foes in Christendom! A shame to see otherwise good pagan Norsemen falling to the cross; methinks blood eagle is too good a fate for these fools!
You've united Norway! All in one ruler as well, way to go. I'm excited to see who you hit next! The Danes are threatening, but British isles could be on the edge of falling to the Norse invasions. Also, perhaps taking the sacred places of the Norse faith might prevent further advances of the Christian faith amongst your people.

He was a fun character to play with, did all sorts of crazy stuff, let it be pretending to be a wolf, a gnome or whatever. Was also entertaining to look at his love for women, I should probally show you all of his kids, but it's plenty! And at least 3 of them are kids that are the result of him having fun with the young girls in the court. It wasn't that hard to take Constantinoples itself really. But it started to swarm with troops around the area, so I decided to do some battles, suddenly after beating maybe two armies of 1000-2000 soldiers and army of over 3000 appearead out of nowhere with reinforcements coming in. Anyway it made for a great story :p And the Danes are a threat, but I do got plans for them, and I'll do anything to purge the Christians from the sacred lands!

I'm slightly worried by what you're planning to do to Scotland, and apparently Finland as well :p.
A truly great Viking warrior.. I always love the beginning of an Old Gods start - everything is so fluid and chaotic in Northern Europe with the Vikings conquering new Kingdoms before seeing them fall apart. Its an exciting time :). Incidentally, I live less than five minutes away from those ruins you posted - so looks like I'll have been murdered in the Norwegian raid. !!

Yeah his stats got pretty awesome in the end. With having the permament title of God Lsayer (3 martial bonus there) and becoming Zealous, Viking and a berserker he was truly a great warrior. And yes it was a "fun" coincidence, I got the message that I burned down St.Andrews, and remembered I had seen it some place, then it is where you live. So on behalf of the raiders, sorry!

Enemies at all fronts, friends at none. King Hrafn I. of Norway and Wessex.

jelling.jpg

Hrafn pictured on a runestone.

Hrafn I. is a fascinating character. He was in many ways the opposite of his father, yet so similar. His father Hávarðr is perhaps one of the finest and greatest warriors of all time. He alone managed to slay a foul sea monster ready to devour the world, and it was he who dared to risk his life, to go out on campaigns where most men would turn back to their haystacks. It is said he was over two heads taller than the tallest, and that he had the strength of a bear. He was also a Norse through and through, he loved the company of women, planting his seed in countless of women. He was a glutton and a drunkard, and never said no to a pint of mead or a fine meal. He was also quite wrathful, and was known to go berserk and shout so loud that the mountains themselves started to move. Hrafn on the other hand was a modest man. He was monogamous, and even after his wife died with only three children he continued to honor her. It was not until the last days of his life that he dared to take up two concubines - as opposed to Hávarðr who laid with almost 100 women. Where Hávarðr also was a man of great anger, Hrafn was kind to his fellow man. When I think of it, King Hrafn would have made a good follower of White Christ! That alone is seen in his personal runestone outside the great city of Miklagard - the capital of the greeks. Here he simply wrote: "The words on this stone belong to Hrafn, son of Hávarðr and adleta. Let it be known that Hrafn lived a simple life without distractions, grateful for the friendship and companionship of those around him provided". Where Hávarðr wrote about being the son of Odin and flying around in a longboat, Hrafn simply wrote that he lived a good life. But destiny would have other plans for this young king...

Trolli and the division of Norway. Tröndelag being the realm of Trolli. It should also be noted that the Kingdom of Wessex was the personal realm of Trolli.

Once he came home after their great raid, Hrafn I. had to deal with a major threat at home. No Norse Lord respected the new King, and saw him as a weakling. Hrafn I. had no loyal subjects what so ever, and every Jarl craved either indepence or to become King of Norway themself. After the death of the mighty leader Hávarðr I. Norway would be plunged into an era of civil war and backstabbing. Perhaps the gravest threat of them. Trolli his brother had become the Jarl of Trøndelag and the King of Wessex. In Hrafn's absence he had also taken control over the chiefdom of Oppland. Where most Norse would go outright to war, Hrafn understood such measures would not be so well recieved and he might have ended up being looked upon as a tyrant, in the already fragile Kingdom. What he needed to do was to diplomatically outmaneuver his brother. Luckely for Hrafn he was blessed with the cunning of Loke - the trickster god. You got to keep in mind that most the glorious armies that sacked the great cities of Paris, Rome and Miklagard had suffered extreme losses. Only a fool would go to war against someone who had 70% of realm levies. Hrafn decided to do an unhonorable choice. He would plot against Trolli the Cruel by gaining support from his vassals to take back Oppland which was rightfully Hrafn's. But he would also contact a local hero in Trondheim, the capital of the Trolli's Jarldom. Hrafn promised this hero to become the Jarl of Trøndelag if he managed to get devout Norse followers to overthrow their Christian leader. When Hrafn demanded Oppland from Trolli the Cruel, Trolli refused. This plunged the Norwegian Kingdom into a civil war. Hrafn's forces quickly entered the chiefdom of Oppland. Trolli was mustering his forces to come down and meet his brother, but unfortunately for Trolli 2400 devout Norsemen under the leadership of Tordr rise up against Trolli.

350px-Haraldsonnenes_saga-Slaget_ved_Minne-W._Wetlesen.jpg

One of many battles, during what would be known as the Norwegian Civil War Era.

Suddenly Trolli was facing the might of Norse warriors on two fronts. This must truly have been a terryfying situation. Every follower of Whitechrist knew what the superior Norse warriors had done to the peoples of Brittania, and even to the greatest cities of the Christian world. Trolli might have stood a chance against the weakened Norwegian forces, but when he had to fight two wars against these unstoppable warriors he stood no chance. The forces of Trolli quickly dispersed, and he saw no other reason than to acknowledge the indepence of the Norse rebellers and give away the chiefdom of Oppland to Hrafn along with the Jarldom of Trøndelag.

Tordr sweared fealty to Hrafn under the impression that he would be promoted to a Jarl and truly be a glorious leader. Unbeknownst to him Hrafn had no intention what so ever to give up the Jarldom he and his father had fought so bitterly over. Hrafn merely saw Tordr and his rebellion as a tool to achieve his goal, which was by large to consolidate his power and perform the blood eagle on his brother. After Trolli gave up his domains i Norway proper, Hrafn, in a moment of kindness and pity, agreed to let the treacherous Trolli rule as a petty king in Wessex. During this year of 905, right after the Trolli was thrown out of Norway and over the North Sea, Hrafn's wife gave birth to his first and only son. Hrafn saw this as a sign, that his son was born during this time could only mean that the gods had blessed him. And Hrafn named him after his father in hope that his son would be just as great, or greater than him. So in the year of 905 Hávarðr II. was born. Hrafn looked now to the east and south, another great problem he faced. The Danes had carved out quite an impressive realm for themselves, stretching from Jutland to the lands of the Geats and Sveas1 and even into the lands of the Finns. But one of the sons of the great Dane King had no woman, and Hrafn would then use all his cunning to sieze a deal where his sister Skuld would marry the Danish Prince, and heir to the Kingdom of Sweden, Klas under matrinernal terms! This would mean that not only would the Heir to Sweden be groomed by Hrafn persoally, but Sweden would pass over to his dynasty. This was truly one of the greatest achievements of Hrafn, and this action alone showed us how cunning and decietful he was. I doubt that even Hávarðr I. would never manage to make the kinds of plots that Hrafn did, and that's good as it is no honor in them, no glory - only cowardice.

blood-eagle_625927.jpg

Trolli getting executed by the hands of Hrafn. The method; to open up his back, stop the blood with salt and form "wings" with his lungs - a truly horrible way to die.
The situation at home did not improve however. The nobles and local warlords were, to put it mildly, not pleased with their new ruler. He was no real Norse, he had only lived on the fame of his father. He was not Hávarðr who had earned his right to rule Norway. Furthermore it was once again talks about indepence in Wessex and Essex - leaded by no other than his cruel and horrible brother. Hrafn once used his powers from Loke and instigated a second war against his brother. This time it would lead to Hrafn taking control of Nordland and the Petty Kingdom of Wessex. These actions were seen as powerhungry by the nobility and local warlords, as they thought he was holding unto too many Jarldoms. Not to speak of that he still hold the title Jarl of Trøndelag and didn't hand it over to Tordrd the Liberator as he promised. Hrafn saw no other option to calm them down, but to hold a grand Blot where he would perform the blood eagle on his brother. He also said that this Blot would be followed by an invasion of the Island of Eire, and that the most loyal subjects would be granted land there. This was indeed a wise choice by Hrafn.

You have to understand the political situation at this time. Home in Norway the population was increasing, and it was increasing more rapidly than both the production and avaible land. This caused lot of social unrest and the emergence of warring lords. When Hrafn announced that he intended to colonise all of Eire he got the support of his vassals. This would mean that the excessive Norsemen and women home in Norway would populate this island, who was anyway inhabitated by the weak followers of Whitechrist. And the Norse would only follow the strongest, the thoughest - they followed blood. By showing his strenght by conquering new land he would show them he was truly worthy of the title of King. And with the announced execution of Trolli, and all the Bishops who had dared entering his realm and the followers of White Christ they had captured on their great sacks, he would show that he was truly commited to the cause of protecting Norsedom - and to satisfy the bloodlust of his vassals. Hrafn quickly set up an example by personally performing the blood eagle on his own brother. Trolli begged for his life, like when a dog begs to not put it out. Hrafn did not hesitate. He said these exact words: "Trolli, son of the Eternal King Hávarðr, you have brought shame upon his name and your kin. You sought to end our way of live, you sought to turn all of Norway into a puppet of thise Pope of yours. But I know, deep down in your wretched soul, you can still call yourself a man and not whatever you have become. You have indeed fought bravely in battle. It would be a shame if you could not enter Valhall. I wil therefore perform the blood eagle ritual on you, and hope that Odin and my father will accept my offer". Hrafn then proceeded to cut the victim open from the back, cut the ribs from their spine, and break them so they resembled the blood stained wings. Then he pulled the lungs out through the wounds in the victims back and sprinkle salt in the wounds. The screams and pleads of Trolli could be heared all the way to Rurik in the east. But no one pitied him, no one had second thoughts about doing this, he had chosen this himself. Where he could have ruled as a twin king with Hrafn, he instead followed the path of corruption. Trolli was now sacrificed to the gods, along with the rest of his followers. He had lived like a pig, and died like a screaming pig. And more importantly, Hrafn had expelled Trolli the Cruel from Middle Eart - never more would he spread evil on the mortal realm.

300xhdc.jpg

Hrafn gets maimed, but continues the fight. To the right one of the many battles.

After this bloody fest, Hrafn left Norway with Klas the Heir of Sweden. They set course for Ireland, and more specifically the Earldoms of Leinster, Orvod and Desmond2. These three Earldoms would be perfect to consolidate their powerbase in the Irish Sea, as well as raiding bases into Scotland and Mercia, and to conquer the rest of Ireland. Initially they were met with hig resitance. All of Ireland and the Cornish people came to their aid, and attacked the Norse invaders in Leinster, aswell as invading Wessex with an army of over 2000 men. They would prove to be no match for the deadly Norse warriors. They were quickly overwhelmed by them. It was at home trouble was brewing yet again. Tordr had grown furios over not becoming a Jarl as promised, and swore to the Thunderer3 that he would kill the line of Hávarðr, become King of Norway or die trying. Even with the successfull battles and the fact that they occupied the Earldom of Leinster, Hrafn's pack had to fall back to Norway. He fought several harsh battles, Hrafn had become used to the mild climate and the so called "warriors" who fought like women. This time he faced against the fury of the Norwegian winter and fierce Norwegian warriors. It would take almost 3 winters before the rebellors had been dealt with. It lead to Tordr, the Hero of Trondheim, getting captured and had to give up all his claims and domains. The holy site of Nidaros was once again under the direct rule of the line of Hávarðr. In 910 Hrafn returned back to Eire.

Unfortunately for him, the third Norwegian civil war would mean that the so called warriors could regroup and re-reaise their armies. Hrafn had only the remainder of his forces left. He would meet an army of 1269 men, but as he remarked they must have the peasant girls of Ireland they sent agains them. As the Norwegians slayed every single of these warriors, only at the cost of 69 Norse warriors. This was truly a glorious day, and songs about this day are still sung today. I even think I heard some of you sing it earlier today. In 911 during the second battle over the control of Desmon, Hrafn would not be so lucky. As he led his forces to meet the joke of an army, a lone Celtic warrior thrusted his sword into Hrafn's right chest. Legend has it Hrafn tore of his own arm, and beat the sadistic Celt to the death with his arm. He would continue to lead his forces, and continue to fight - even if his right arm was no more. One commander, one who had served with Hávarðr since the Great Norwegian Army, said that he had not seen such bravery and such courage in no other than Hávarðr. Hrafn was truly living up to his line, Hrafn had now become a true warrior, and gone away from the vicious ways of Loke, and opened up to the path of the Warrior, the path to Valhall! In the following year all of the Celtic foces had been dealth with, and the previous Earldoms were now given Norse names and became chiefdoms. He also delegated these new colonies to the bravest warriors during his campaign, and created the Jarldom of Hlymele4 and handed it over to a giant of a man.

fenrir-wolf-bites-off-tyrs-hand-masan.jpg

Tyr, the god of war, before getting his arm bit off by the Fenrir wolf.

Many started to say that Hrafn was indeed the avatar of Tyr. That Tyr had possesed his body and saved the Norse from White Christ and waged war. And like Tyr, Hrafn had given away his arm. He came home a truly prestigious leader. He would also enjoy the spoils of war as he know took the Princess of Scotland and the Princess of West-Frankia as his concubines. He returned home in 912. And his masterplan resulted in something unforseen. In Sweden, the newly crowned King Klas, who had campaigned in Eire with Hrafn, had tried to conquer norhtern Eire for himself. This lead to Klas getting killed by the hands of Celts. One can only wonder what went through the head of Hrafn. Afterall Klas had been a great warrior, and a great companion and friend. This must truly have saddened him. But let us not remember that he was known to be a former Loki worshipper. King Klas only left behind one child, a little girl. Furthermore it was now Queen Mother Skuld, Hrafn's sister, who acted as the regent of Sweden. Even better her child was in their dynasty, that would mean Sweden would be ruled by the Kin of Hrafn. Hrafn quickly arranged a betrothal between his son Hávarðr and the Queen of Sweden. This would further secure their control over Sweden.

Northern Europe at the time of the death of Hrafn I.

Hrafn I. would however not be able to live at peace. He would not be able to fullfill his goal of becoming High King of the Irish. He would die of his battle wounds, made worse by the fact that he also joined several wars on the sides of the Swedes, Danes and the Kin of Rurik. From when he ascended to the throne of Norway in 904 after the battle of Phillipolis, he reigned until April of 913. He had reigned 9 years of constant war, and constant conflict. But during his reign, he stopped the civil wars, tempoairly, cast the followers of White Christ out of Norway and opened their backs to make a blood eagle. He even expanded the Norwegian Kingdom to the south of Eire, and helped the Danes in their subjucation of the Finns, Sweden from falling apart and Rurik from not being overrun by the ungrateful native Russians. Where Hávarðr I. had created the Kingdom and expanded it, Hrafn I. the One-Armed had truly preserved his father Kingdom, and even helped the other Kingdoms of falling apart. 41 years old he left the world and ascended to the Halls, and sat down beside his father Hávarðr and brother Styrkir who had fallen in battle as him. The eyes were now turned to the name heir of the Eternal King. Hávarðr II. was only 12 years old when he became King of Norway, and as his promised wife, Queen of Sweden he were not fit to reign, but needed a Regent. Unlike Sweden however, Norway could not have the Queen Mother to reign in his place, but had to rely on an ambitious Regent who only cared about himself, and dark times was falling over Norway. And they were foreseen by the fall of the Danes, everywhere peasants, nobles or ungrateful Finns were rising up agains them. The Kingdom of Rurik would also fall, as the Slavic people would rise up against their masters and form the Kingdom of Novgorod. Soon this same Darkness would come over the Way to North5 too - and it started with Agder passing over to the Kingdom of Kent who were constantly under the attack of Christianity.

1: Geats and Sveas were the tribes inhabitating Sweden.
2: South-Eastern Ireland.
3: Thor, the god of thunder.
4: Duchy of Munster.
5: Norway means something like Way to the North.

Last edited:
Nice to see you perform the blood eagle on Hafn's brother. Seems that Norway is so unstable that this kid is going to have a hard time at the head of the Kingdom.

Out of interests, what are your plans for your religion? Will you be converting to Christianity?

What a fine Christian martyr Saint Trolli of Wessex will become in future years. His brother may have condemned him, but history will absolve him.

Hmm, your chances of uniting Scandinavia increased just drastically.
Norsemen do not get kinslayer traits?

We'll see what happens, maybe I'll become the High King of the Norse (Emperor of Scandinavia) or be too riddled with civil war. Keep in mind that I'm doing semi roleplaying. That is that I don't do things that are too far fetched. One of the reasons why I haven't annexed Iceland yet, as it currently was a place of no interest what so ever. But maybe in the next generation, or this, I'll unite Scandinavia - and you ungrateful Finns :p But the Regent (aka. me) will be giving us a hard time however, and he have no interest in the good of Norway, Scandinavia or the King only himself :ninja:

And Norsemen do get it! I just figured out that the Norse lords would like Hrafn executing, I mean sacrificing, his brother to the gods. And certainly when we're looking back in time and mainly boasting about the Norwegian Kings, I myself believe that intrigues over that are largely ignored. Mainly because of political reasons. And I don't know if it is like this specifically for Norse, but the Kinslayer trait icon was of two lungs. So it automatically got me to think of the Blood Eagle haha.

Nice to see you perform the blood eagle on Hafn's brother. Seems that Norway is so unstable that this kid is going to have a hard time at the head of the Kingdom.

Out of interests, what are your plans for your religion? Will you be converting to Christianity?

You sadist! :O But yes, he had it coming. He was so evil and cruel, think about being Catholic, terrible! And yeah, poor kid, the Kingdom was pretty unstable and I started to get it stabilized. Unfortunately Hrafn died of battle wounds. But who knows, maybe Hávarðr II. is the right man?

And currently the plans is to withstand christianity as long as possible. At every blot I sacrifice maybe 4-5 Christians Bishops. If it keep up like this, soon the Catholic world wil be empty of bishops. But witholding the Catholics may result in the reformed Norse faith :)

What a fine Christian martyr Saint Trolli of Wessex will become in future years. His brother may have condemned him, but history will absolve him.

Hey he was a horrible man! But ironically, Trolli was much more like his father. Where Hrafn had chaste, humble, patient and kind traits Trolli had lustful, envious, wroth and cruel. So it was Hrafn thats should have been Christian, and Trolli that should have been Norse. I also like to imagine that Hrafn didn't really want to execute his brother like that - which was seen as he let himget amnesti in Wessex -, but was pressured by his vassals to prevent civil war. But I suppose Christian history will be very kind to Trolli, and not so much to poor Hrafn. Which is very funny considering Hrafn would be a perfect Christian, and Trolli a very sinful one, would be fun if he became a saint :lol:

And I like to see how much Denmark blobbed and suddenly fell apart 9 years later. And how much of a mess the Catholic world is >.< It hurts my eyes!

Edit: A little heads up, for some reason the last savefile got lost. Fortunately I started once I got home from the raid, so everything is the same, except that Denmark is not in mass revolt (yet) and Hrafn died in 912 and not 913.

Last edited:
You're forgetting that Trolli does not have the kinslayer trait, whereas Hrafn now probably does. :)

The Interregnum.

000343_9622012059330wd8065z1c_C_191x256.jpg

Painting of Hávarðr II. the Child King.

We're now in the year of 912 a little over 30 years since Hávarðr I. the Mad managed to bring all of Norway under his sword. In order to understand the difficulities the young King, only seven years of age when he was crowned King, faced we have to look at the mentality of the various warlords and Jarls in Norway. In contrast to the weak Christian lords, the proud Norse people did not follow a man for mere ideas or being loyal to a king for happening to be in a certain family. The only thing they were loyal to was power and wealth. The only thing that would uphold the vassal pyramid was fear and force. Hávarðr I. managed in a great degree to have internal peace in his realm becaus he slew all his enemies at home and subjucated them, and furthermore he led young and old warriors to eternal glories and later sharing the wealth among these warriors. This even let him centralize the power a little bit, and no longer allow each Lord to rule as sovereign princes in reality. Hrafn also managed to hold his realm together through force, let it be by throwing the god on the cross out of the North Sea, sacrificing his own brother to the Allfather or carving out lands in Ireland. These two mighty Kings only managed to hold their realm together through excessive force. Hávarðr II. however was just a child. He had not accomplished anything to gain the respect of the Lords of Norway, and he was a small and weak ruler. Every Jarl and High Chief quickly threw away their loyalty to the King. Each one of them craved the Jarldoms of the child king for themselves - and even the Kingdom. As Hávarðr the Mad had united Norway through conquest, the Jarls and High Chiefs of Norway sought to do the same. And they would try to do it plans so decietful, with no honor that even Loke himself could not make up such plans. Those of you who thought Hrafn managed to subjucate his vassals and end the Civil War era, you were wrong. As it had just begun.

kat_9.png

Loke the trickster god.

Young Hávarðr had been sent to Miklagard by Hrafn to be tutored by the greatest warrior in the Varangian Guard. Hrafn had hoped he could rule Norway until Hávarðr returned from Miklagard and could become the great warrior king he was destined to be. Fate as we know had other plans however, Hrafn died of his battle wounds, from his sacrifice to keep the Kingdom of Norway together. Hávarðr was still getting tutalage in Miklagard and training there, but before his last breath left his body, he ordered Tolir to be the regent in his place. Tolir was a fine and proud warrior who had slain many enemies in his time, and many called him the Bear - as he was just as strong as one and could lift whole trees without much struggle. Unlike you milkdrinkers who barely manage to swing the great axe. Tolir the Bear reigned with the best in mind for Norway and it's future king. However the nobles of Norway had different plans. All of Norway ascended into chaos, yet another civil war was sweeping over the horizon, just like ravens are sweeping over the sky right before something disatrous is about to happen. The Chancellor, Marshall and Steward of Norway demanded that Tolir had to resign as a regent and that the Chief of the newly conquered Veisafjorðr1 to take his place. Klas of Veisafjorðr was a well respected leader in the lower nobility, and allthough he was an ambitious chief he did not have the political power to challenge the crown. Tolir resigned as he feared his refusal would plunge the realm into a civil war, and that Klas would not be able to fulfill his selfish ambitions. But he was wrong. Klas the Despicable quickly moved to demand that Jarl Grimr of Hlymele2 had to give up his Jarldom. Regent Klas told the Royal Court that he had to do so, because as a Stadtholder he clearly had to have a title to reflect his new found glory. Most of the royal court hesitated, but with all of the children of Hávarðr spread all over the world, the Queen Mother dying at the age of 18 this demand had to pass - with the blessing of the Chancellor, Marshal and Steward. Naturally Jarl Grimr refused. Regent Klas ordered all of the Norwegian army to once again invade southern Ireland.

Norwegian and Irish areas in rebellion. Left bottom corner potrait of Regent Klas. Also the declerations of autonomous vassals and rebellion.

Sending away the entire Norwegian Army to Ireland was a stroke of genious from the Regent. You see, in this army the King had a personal Hird3 that consitated of 500 deadly warriors. If this Hird, Tolir and the Norwegian Retinues had been in Norway, they might have arrested and stopped those conspiring against the crown. As Tolir and the Hird was deeply skeptical to the new regent, and was only loyal to their King - child or man. Even better it would leave Norway defenseless from hostile takeover. That the Crown, as the official story was, tried to sieze yet another Jarldom, was met with uproar in the Norwegian nobility. During the absence of the Hird, and Tolir leading them, the Lords of Norway demanded that the centralization policies of Hávarðr I. the Mad to be turned back. In reality it was not really a demand, since the Regent himself was one of the leading figures in this movement. This reduced the powers of the King, and opened up for those seeking power of their own. Of course it did please most of the vassals in the Kingdom, but the Jarl of Jamtaland was still not pleased. He therefore openly declared war on the crown and wanted to replace the King with Karleen - one of the many daughters of Hávarðr I.. The Regent, the Chancellor, the Steward and the Marshall all joined the Jarl of Jamtaland. This was clearly nothing else but an honourless plot made by these top figures. They had willingly plunged Norway until civil war in order to strenghten their own position and keep the warriors loyal to the crown out of their way. It may seem weird to you that they wanted to replace one of the line of Hávarðr with another. But Karleen was a woman without any real connections, and was deemed weak. This would mean that a takeover, or split, of all of Norway would be much easier. As Hávarðr II. was proving to become a most capable warrior king in Miklagard. And the Norwegian crown would be further reduced as the Jarl of Jamtaland promised the Chief of Trondheim the Jarldom of Trøndelag, and the chief of Hordalan the Jarldom of Vestlandet - thus securing loyal allies if he ever was going to be the King of Norway.

knud-bergslien-sverre.jpg

Troops lost in the mountains.

It was one man however that would save the Kingdom of Norway. While Tolir was far away in Ireland fighting countless battles agains Norsemen and followers of White Christ alike, it seemed like it was no man of the character of Tolir the Bear at home that could pull Norway together. But from the ashes like a phoenix, Chief Hroðulf of Middlesex emerged. He sweared fealty as a regent and sweared on his ancestors and kin to serve none other than the best interest of Hávarðr II. and put aside his differences. I doubt that his motives was as noble and selfless as bards and skalds claimed them to be. Personally I believe he saw that in the long run it would be better to serve under the King of Norway, which might have given him many perks. Chief Hroðulf had afterall been known to crave indepence from Norway, and perhaps if he proved to be a loyal subject he might been raised to Jarl of Essex - or even and independent King of Essex. Motives aside, he proved to be the right man. He was god sent, it is speculated if Odin the Allfather sent him down to Midgard to save his son's, Hávarðr the Mad, legacy and realm. Even with over 2000 rebels invading through Heidemark in 913, Hroðulf managed to beat them back. What the traitors didn't expect was the fact that Hávarðr the Mad and Hrafn had gained a massive amount of wealth - and more importantly respect. The Rus band, which Hrafn had fought alongside during the civil wars in the lands of the Rus and Rurikid, offered to assist the realm of the Way to the North - of course in exchange of a "symbolic" sum. This band of Rus' quickly overwhelmed the traitors in Heidemark, and the cowards routed. Allowing the Rus band to ocupy the Jarldom of Jamtaland and Trøndelag. In Ireland things was also getting better, Tolir managed to slay great amounts of armies. He proved that the Norwegians were still the finest warriors in all of the known world. After subjecating the Jarl of Hlymele, the army of Tolir occupied the Chiefdom which Klas the despicable reigned from. In 916, after 4 years, the civil wars was over for now. And peace was seeming to come over the realm as Chief Hroðulf would prove to uphold his oath and be a just ruler.

redirect

Norse wedding celebration.

And what is better to celebrate peace, than with a huge wedding fest? Oh I'm sure all of you long back to these feasts. To drink the finest mead until your guts come out of you, to feast on the great roasted boar laying on the longtable! And the women, to really honor Frøya4 by grabbing the young maidens and spreading your seed. And not to speak of the fighting, ah I miss back home when I tell you these stories. But remember, those lucky of you will come to Valhall where it will be eternal fighting feasting - much greater than the ones back home! Anyway, the civil wars were concluded with marriages. Ingejerðr the daughter of Hrafn was married away to Prince Karl the heir to the Kingdom of Denmark. This solidified the line of Hávarðr even more in the Norse world. And the second born daughter of Hrafn Rögnfriðr was married to the heir of the Magyars. These uncivillized nomads had truly made impressive gains. Not only were they a constant threat to christianity, and especially the Bulgars, but they even managed to beat the mighty Norse warriors of Könugard in the lands of the Kievan-Rus5. The Magyars were really vicious and deadly warriors - and they were now allied to Norway. The position to Hávarðr II. was starting to look secure. And after his mentor in Miklagard had been slain in battle, he was forced to return home and be tutored by a most excellent woman. Here young Hávarðr got all the pleasures in life and he was truly becoming a mighty warrior king. Many even called him cruel as he was found torturing rabbits, cats and even prisoners. He was also shown to be quite brave and doing great achievements that most did not dare to do. He was truly blessed by the gods, and especially Frøya as at the age of 13 he planted his first seed in a woman during a feast. He was truly becoming a great man, he was turning out to be a king that even I would follow into battle!

In 917 the King of the Danes invaded East Frankia, the ancient homeland to the Germanic people, to gain expand his realm after he had lost most of the lands of the Finns to ungrateful natives. Not only would this invasion of the Karling realm greatly boost the prestige and strenght of the Danes, but in all secrecy they wanted to gain control of one of the ancient Germanic holy sites. It might be difficult for you to imagine, but centuries ago the people living in Germany and Frisia6 believed in the Allfather like us. They however got under the sway of the woman god on the cross. But now the Danes had a clear chance of reclaiming one of the ancient Norse areas! Chief Hroðulf under pressure from his Godis7 declared war on the Middle Karling Kingdom8 in order to gain control of Zeeland. This tiny island was also the home to an ancient holy site. And gaining this would greatly please the religious leaders in Norway, and garner much prestige - and also to prevent the Danes from becoming the leading Norse people. In 918 he therefore sent out 3660 brave warriors, veterans in killing and murdering, to reclaim this ancient area - leaded by none other than Tolir the Bear.

The Karling King attacking the Norse invaders - and the result of the battle.

It most have been a terrible sight for these Zeelanders. As hundreds of longboats with dragon mastes emerged at the horizon, and blocked out the sea itself. They had heard of the mass killing and raping these killers had done to their West Frankian brothers and sisters. Now it was their turn, oh I feel sorry for those who witnessed that, and witnessed the Norwegian Warriors swarming their islands. But it must have been beautiful to been a Norwegian that day, as the next day one of the most glorious battles of our time would take place. The Karling King of the Middle Kingdom quickly rounded up his forces and attacked the tiny island with a strong force consisting mostly of heavy calvarly. This army was impressing in itself. It would surely have broken both the spirit and shieldfortress of most warriors. But the King had forgotten one thing, that these men were not just a common rabble of peasant. No, they were Norse. They were the deadliest men walking on Midgard. And the King would soon learn that. The battle of Vlissingen was a disastor for his part, loosing most of his forces. They would be hunted down by the Norwegians and beaten in the dykes of Holland. The Karling King would remember the killer Norwegian warriors for the rest of his life, and hopefully in his paradise too, as Tolir the Bear truly became a bear that day as he bit of his roundshield and chainmail and assualted the king himself. In the brawl Tolir the Bear bit off the Kings right hand, and the puny King was pulled screaming out of the battle by his most loyal troops as Tolir the Bear let the Kings blood driple out from his mouth. All Tolir had to say about it, was that his blood was in fact not blue, but red as the rest of the mortals. This day, the reclamation of ancient Norse land and the glorious battle, would be forever immortalized in songs. Songs and sagas that are sitll sung today.

re.jpg

King Hávarðr II. being cheered by the masses.

In 921 when the Danes returned from their victory in Germany, allthough they didn't manage to assert direct rulership and had to rely on Christian vassals there, and the Norwegians returned from the holy land of Zeeland, King Hávarðr II. finally became of age. And the duties of the realms passed over from Chief Hroðulf to Hávarðr II. the rightfull ruler of Norway. Some remarked that Hávarðr II. was sneezed out of the nose of Hávarðr I. - meaning he was equal to Hávarðr I. in terms of greatness and strenght. Norðrvegr finally had a King again. But what would happen next? Will the civil war era continue? Will Hávarðr II. pursue his father's goal of uniting Eire? Or perhaps to fulfill the prophesy of his grandfather, to paint White Christ red in the blood of his followers? Oh I know what happens, but until I continue the tale, I need to make my throat wet, as the worst thing in the world is a throat that is dry from the lack of mead!

1: County of Leinster in Ireland.
2: Duchy of Munster in Ireland.
3: Retinues - Kings personal army.
4: God of sex and fertility - one of the main gods (two others being Tor and Odin) often associated with sex and carnal pleasures.
5: Modern day Ukraine, which was under a Norse Kingdom.
6: Netherlands and Vlaandern in Belgium.
7: Religious leaders.
8: Kingdom of Lotharingia.

Last edited:
Claiming back the lands of Woatan is always a just casus belli. :)

I can be really avant garde and claim to be sent by the gods to create a pan germanic empire :p

In all seriousness, that would be boring!

I can be really avant garde and claim to be sent by the gods to create a pan germanic empire :p

In all seriousness, that would be boring!

Indeed, I'm not a fan of AARs that are focussed on conquering as much as possible. Keep the expansion feeling 'natural'. :)

Indeed, I'm not a fan of AARs that are focussed on conquering as much as possible. Keep the expansion feeling 'natural'. :)

I agree :)

Unfortunately it seems to be a problem with the game (it won't save) so hopefully I'll manage to find a solution for that problem. In the meantime it won't come any updates for this AAR :(

I agree :)

Unfortunately it seems to be a problem with the game (it won't save) so hopefully I'll manage to find a solution for that problem. In the meantime it won't come any updates for this AAR :(

Did you manage to find a solution? :(