• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

robou

Hijo de Santiago
10 Badges
May 19, 2007
www.ww2italianreenactment.com
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Gentlemen, I am back. Finally. After a hiatus of several months, I have decided to return to these forums that were my love for several years. And, I have decided to start a-fresh, forgetting the AARs I left behind, like CAF and ToE, and turning over a fresh leaf on a fresh new year. Anyway, without further reminicences, I annouce the beginning of this new AAR, The Unwelcomed Warriors. As to what it is on, and in what style it will be... well... you'll just have to wait for the first chapter.

On that note, it should be ready sometime either tonight or early this week. Be ready for an unusual time schedual, as this will probabl come in kicks and starts due to school, but we'll see.

For now!
Rob

Last edited:
Congrats on being back! We missed you. No doubt, no matter what style, this will be a top-notch must-follow AAR.

Welcome back Rob! I'll be sure to follow your new AAR! ;)

I will follow this.

Glad to see you back.

I will be eagerly waiting for the first update. :)

Welcome back! Although I did not notice you have been gone since I am usually always few months all over the year gone from the forums, and now I have just come back.

I shall definitely follow your new AAR and infact I'm going to wait until you publish the first chapter! (Edit: After waiting an hour and half I got tired and I have to go to sleep :) I'll be back tomorrow!)

Last edited:
Excellent! I can't wait.

Chapter I: Muscle of the South - Part I

Chapter I
Muscle of the South

guard_330_330x330.jpg

Few have not heard of the Normans. Their footprint on history is both large and important. The death of King Edward the Confessor of England on January 5th, 1066, would lay the foundations for one of the most significant power struggles Europe had ever seen. Three men claimed the crown of England: Harold Godwinson, Earl of Wessex; Harald III Hardraade, King of Norway; William the Bastard, Duke of Normandy. In a swift and brutal war, Hardraade was killed by the Saxons at the Battle of Stamford Bridge, struck in the throat with an arrow. He was followed by Harold Godwinson, who had been officially crowned King of England as Harold II earlier that year, also killed by an arrow, this time to the eye [1], at the hands of William. The Duke was then crowned King of England in Westminster Abbey on Christmas day, 1066. In a war that had taken less than a year, two monarchs lie dead on the fields of battle, Hardraade taking the long Scandinavian Viking age, which had for so long plagued Europe. The consequences of the war, despite its own short length, were profound and altered the face of Europe in a way that would reverberate for centuries. So great were these changes that this year, 1066, has often been regarded as a major turning point in history as a whole, and is often hailed, for few other conceivable reasons [2], as the dawn of the medieval age.

However, amidst the huge events happening in northern Europe, one could easily forget that William had motives coming from much further south. Long before there were any designs made by the Normans for the conquest of England, the Normans had been staging a much more interesting and difficult invasion, though this term is more difficult to use in circumstances that shall become clear, of southern Italy. Their presence in southern Italy for several decades had left a lasting impression on the region, and their success in acquiring land, riches, power and influence whilst building a complex, cosmopolitan and potent power base; and the constant interest that the Pope and Emperors of both East and West placed in them, had not gone unnoticed to the young Duke back in Normandy, or indeed Northern Europe as a whole. Many of the tactics that the Normans employed in southern Italy would both noted and copied by William during and after his successful conquest of England. And, indeed, the simple fact that there were possibly Normans, many of them no more than lowly knights, holding more power than the Duchy they had left may well have been a motive for William’s invasion of England, purely out of pride. Added to this, the staggering success of but a few Norman knights in a large and, most considered, ungovernable region of the world showed William that the Normans had incredible qualities of both conquest and governance, and that they could manage, and deserved, more than the paltry Duchy could offer.

But who are these mysterious warriors, southern conquerors that were the cause, directly or indirectly, of so much important political upheaval during the 11th Century? How had they forged their own realm out of one of the most politically unstable regions in Europe, made themselves rich men and powerful rulers, and spurred on one of the most important conquests of history? And why, for heaven’s sake why, so many of their adversaries asked, were Normans in southern Italy in the first place? Why had these unwelcome warriors, respected but mistrusted and hated by all around them, travelled half way across Europe to forge a Kingdom?

Notes:
1 – This has been a long debated fact. The Bayeux Tapestry, the main source of information about the Battle of Hastings, does not make it clear. Either Harold was killed by an arrow to the eye or was ridden down by a mounted Knight. The former story is more popular.
2 – Europe was, otherwise, in a quiet period during 1066. No other events of note took place. All the Chroniclers, at least, were focussed on the events in England.

Last edited:
Looks like we've got an Apulia game on our hands :D

Crush the Moslems, Raid the Greeks, Sieze the Holy Land, Undermine the Pope and Conquer the Italians.

This shall be you mission

Conquer Carthage and Rome, go Greek Catholic for kicks, and rule Carthage, Tripoli, Algiers, the Balearics, Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, and Italy up to the Alps as a Normano-Greek superstate. Hell, you could even go Italian/Norman Orthodox. Kill the papal thorn in thy side!

Looks interesting! And as always with robou, very, very, very well written! I'll take it this is a historybook AAR unless first update was background history.

Man , i loved starting as any apulian state whenever i played CK . Especially since you have your pick of creating cool new kingdoms and all this XD I'm looking forward to this .

Great to have you back rob! I'll surely be following this AAR and I hope it inspires to start writing again.

My knowledge of the Normans is woefully lacking (for what it should be). Hopefully you are up to the task of educating me. It's a big one, but one I'm sure you will subjugate.

Also welcome back, we have missed you :)