• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Vincent Julien said:
nitpicking time again: (You must really hate me by now) Why was Charles McNary, a Republican Senator, the 1940 Democratic Vice-Presidential candidate?

btw, I really thought you'd make full use of Barry Goldwater in the epilgoues. You give the impression that his brand of more radical conservatism is generally accepted more widely and earlier as a result of the Landon and Lindbergh Presidencies - Reagan is the Republican candidiate in 1964, for instance. And yet of him, we find narry a word. It would have been interesting to see a Goldwater Presidency in action, to say the least, considering his Libertarian domestic approach and isolationist views on foreign policy. :)

McNary was a VP candidate because he was Wilkie's VP nomination in 1940. Having kept Wilkie to his original party in the story, the Democrats (before he switched historically), I guess I took McNary along with him without worrying who the Republicans would've chosen in this case.

I think by 1964 I was so focused on McCarthy and Nixon's fall and the emergance of Johnson that I didn't devote much to time to other rising politicians. In the AAR itself, I tried to bring in the new generations of politicians as the story progressed but by the epilogue, I was mainly writing about preestablished characters.

The problem with Johnson is that he was an excellent domestic President, and would likely be considered great if it weren't for the Vietnam War. It was heartwarming to see him elected to two terms, undo some of the Lindbergh legacy, and all that, but - fiend that I am - I was rather hoping for a more dystopian epilogue. :D

Lurken said:
*hugs Mettermrck* This is why Mettermrck is one of the big AAR-writers!

I fully agree. Simply impressive...

Awesome. Just Awesome

I've been reading through this off and on for several months now, and I've got to say it is one of the absolute best AARs that I've ever read through (though I'm sure Mett has heard this plenty). Waiting for the next epic work to start. If it's anything like this one, we'll be hooked more than ever. :D

Some AARs just need an occasional bumping so new people read them in awe at their greatness. This is definitely one of those AARs.

Yes exceptional work indeed.

I am so impressed with this AAR that I would like to write a tribute to it, consisting of some more election races in the future. This is all fan fiction, but I was bored.

The 1976 Election
After uphevals during the war with Japan, the United States settled into domestic tranquility and for once in Congress unity was a big theme. President McGovern did try to make a move to give some equality to Blacks, after marches occured in many southern cities after the Second Pacific War, about the issue of Blacks fighting in the war and not getting the right to vote.
McGovern tried to pass the Armed Forces Integration Act, which merged Blacks,and Whites into the same units, along with the Just Patriotic Rewards Act, which gave any Black who was in the Armed Forces the right to vote. These barely passed in the Senate, and the House, and a prominent old Democratic Congressman from Alabama, George Wallace, fillibustered the bill.

This issue divided the Democrats from the Midwest, and the South, and many old Southern Democrats defected to the Nationals giving them a resurgence in the elections. The Republicans fielded a popular moderate Senator from New York, Nelson Rockefeller, and the Nationals fielded, George Wallace, the former Democrat. While many papers showed a vast Rockefeller victory and most expected McGovern to go down in flames, a un-expected result happened.
1974alternateelectionvk7.png

Nelson Rockefeller - Robert Dole, 36.2%, 258 Electoral Votes
George McGovern, 37.5%, 214 Electoral Votes
George Wallace - Strom Thurmond, 20% 79 Electoral Votes
Paul Gravel - Ralph Nader, 6.2%
Other-0.2%

No candidate had scored a political majority and now the country seemed very divided. The Electoral College's covening was actually going to become a major issue this election year.

Wonderful homage and good idea!

Thanks, Anarcho! I managed to log on briefly and come across your ominous portrayal of the next election. I appreciate the tribute, sir and nice writing. Tanttu, I should have DSL access after Thursday and then I'll work on getting a new uploaded link for the pdf file. :)

Hey, I just read this AAR, and I have to say it is exceptional! Excellent job, and a very plausible alternate history scenario! I can see you must have really done some research before writing this, and that is quite admirable. :)

Though one thing about the epilogue left me wanting answers: The Prussian War. I don't believe you ever said what its outcome was? Who won it?

SeanB said:
Though one thing about the epilogue left me wanting answers: The Prussian War. I don't believe you ever said what its outcome was? Who won it?

Alas, I never did...it's too late even for Armageddon to model. Mainly it was a teaser, to show that wars never ended in my world, and the countries were still fighting over territory even decades after WWII and WWIII ended. :)

hello i know this is incredibly late, and i am new to these forums but i read your aar over the summer here and it was the best aar i have ever read. honestly that pdf had more quality in it than most alt hist books out there. awesome job and thanks for publishing it

Mettermrck,

I just tried to open your PDF, and it appears MegaUpload has been seized by the FBI. :eek:hmy:

Is there an alternative place where you could upload your magnificent AAR PDF?

Then again, I'm not opposed to reading it here.... just takes time. :)

Rensslaer