• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

truth is life

General
89 Badges
Nov 29, 2007
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • For the Motherland
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
This is my second EU III AAR, and was inspired by the plethora of nation formation events (and later decisions) found in EU III. I began to wonder, "How many can one person trigger?" and decided to find out. The goal of this AAR is very simple: Trigger as many nation-formation decisions as possible between 1399 and 1821.

This AAR will also have reader participation: I don't know where to go first! So, I'm asking you, the readers, to vote on which country I should try to unify first (and when that's done, which country I should try to unify next, and so on). You can also suggest specific countries I should try to unify with, but I might not listen; even if everyone on the board says I should try to unify Spain with Navarra, I won't do it. I will take into account your suggestions, though.

Rules:
1. Game settings. Lucky nations will be off. This way I won't have to deal with a monster France that eats half of the Netherlands and HRE or somesuch before I get there. Also, it means that the AI in certain countries (England, Castille, and Muscowy, especially) won't get a big head start on unifying. It's no fun if half the countries are unified before I get there! The other game settings will be on their default settings unless someone comes up with a good reason to set them otherwise.

2. If the AI forms a nation (especially relevant for Spain, Scandinavia, Great Britain, and Persia), I won't break it apart to try to put it together again. That would just be silly.

3. I won't be trying to form England or France, either. Again, just silly.

4. I'm not actually sure I've got all the nation formation decisions, either. Here's the list I've pulled from the decisions folder (Omitting the English and French formation decisions, as above):
_Great Britain
_Manchu China (a particularly boring looking decision, from the code)
_Germany
_Ireland
_Italy
_Mughal Empire
_Netherlands
_Persia
_Prussia
_Russia
_Scandinavia
_Spain

Unless someone points out another decision that I didn't catch, that's also the list of nations to vote for (except for Manchu China, as that cannot be triggered before 1644).

5. Given that most nation formation decisions require conquering and then getting cores on specific provinces, is it acceptable to merely conquer the provinces and then move on, trusting the AI to hold onto the provinces for 50 years? The AI (from what I have seen) is pretty good about forming new nations if it can; it just lacks willpower. I'm a little concerned about the time; 400 years sounds like a lot, but it goes by quickly, and if I can shave about 50 years off of each phase, it would be much more doable.

Obviously, this is being done in IN, v3.1.

Updates (and posting!) will be irregular.

Byzantine Empire and Westphalia(?) need to be added to list, I think.

Also, you might mod the game in order to remove the core requirment or reduce it.

If Byzantine disapears, another Greek Ortodox nation can re-form it. And Byzantine Empire usually falls.

As far as the Byzantines are concerned, I'll make a decision after the first unification about whether to include them. Obviously, if they still exist, I won't. Obviously, if the Ottomans have conquered every Greek Orthodox state and posses hegemony over the southern Balkans, I won't. However, if there are still existing Greek Orthodox states which are not just totally impractical for me to play (eg. OPMs with 100%+ inflation due to multiple bankruptcies or some such), I might add the Byzantines to the list. Perhaps we can have a vote on it at that time.

Nyrael: I think I will edit out the core requirements for this game.

I thought I had a vote for Mughal and Persia (please don't vote for more than one country at a time, I don't want to have run-offs!), but it seems that I don't, now.

If you move your capital you can change your primary culture (I think it requires the new culture being the bulk of your income too, which it would be with English if you got cores).

Do the Mughals as the Golden Horde or Timurids!

Not only am I very sorry for not posting earlier (as I had promised), but now it appears I may not be able to post for quite a while (or ever, in the worst case). My computer's developed some kind of blinking apoplexy which makes it impossible to actually do anything on it (I can't even log in). Therefore, updates are postponed until further notice.

truth is life said:
Not only am I very sorry for not posting earlier (as I had promised), but now it appears I may not be able to post for quite a while (or ever, in the worst case). My computer's developed some kind of blinking apoplexy which makes it impossible to actually do anything on it (I can't even log in). Therefore, updates are postponed until further notice.

Sad - truly sad. C:/Format!

truth is life said:

D'oh. The dreaded "Unstable computer" event that drops your computer's stability to -3 and costs you lots of ducats.