the ultimate trap event chain - orissa edition. poisonous estuaries

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
But why are you playing Orissa? Rotw isn't interesting. Go play Russia! They get Free Colonies™ and Free Space Marines™! Only $9.99!

I really despise how they've designed the rotw events. Incas and Aztecs get some amazingly awful ones too. Are there more entries in this saga, @bbqftw?

Mewar also gets a nice "murder your god king" event though it only gives a size 2 rebel stack to deal with.

They also get an event which adds permanent defensiveness in a province which doesn't start with a fort, making it mostly useless.

Since I don't play in Europe I mostly expect flavour events to be either useless or actively bad. The occasional "historical thing happens, have 25 admin points or whatever" ones are nice.

Since I don't play in Europe I mostly expect flavour events to be either useless or actively bad. The occasional "historical thing happens, have 25 admin points or whatever" ones are nice.

The Women in History ones are exclusively good, since women are literally incapable of evil and incompetence!

edit: Ireland/GB even has an event that is basically "this pirate lady is ruining our everything, what do we do?" and you get to hire her as an advisor or an admiral with no drawbacks

But why are you playing Orissa? Rotw isn't interesting. Go play Russia! They get Free Colonies™ and Free Space Marines™! Only $9.99!

I really despise how they've designed the rotw events. Incas and Aztecs get some amazingly awful ones too. Are there more entries in this saga, @bbqftw?
I'm not sure. At least Kilwa's event pretender stacks are manageable.

@Trin Tragula even though I feel like mechanically these events could be designed better I do appreciate the efforts to implement events for less known tags :) Though with the exception of Castilian civil war you would get the impression that succession crises were exclusive to non-European tags...

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Vijayangari_events#Revolt_of_Chellappa

Would you like stabhit and pretender stacks or stabhit and nationalist stacks?

muWasXt.jpg

Crush him before he grows too powerful!

What's that one?

1-2 patches before Institutions were added, Primitives got a new way to reform if they had all Native/Religion advancements but no non-Primitive was close by: if their tech sum was 18 (so ideally 6/6/6), they could reform.

That sounded like a cool idea... until we found out it didn't change the tech group. So you paid for 15 techs with that horrid tech malus only to reform, lose your advancements if you were a Native Council and you would STILL have to kindly sit on your ass waiting for the whiteskins to appear. And now you wouldn't get the tech jump from reforming. And would still have to westernize. And you would still be a Primitive (so no boats lololol) until you finished westernizing. And them you'd have to tech up. And fill your idea slots. And not die horribly to the Europeans.

Fun.

It was very obviously a mechanic added so that Nahuatl tags could stop Doom effects without waiting for Europeans, but the patchnotes only said "now you can reform by investing in tech! Yay".

Incas and Aztecs get some amazingly awful ones too.

I'm not sure which you're referring to; I actually like the El Dorado events a lot. Inti and Nahuatl religion events give lots of free stab, free development, 100-tradition generals... some stabhits and rebels too, but the stab boosts are weighted a little more common. Of the events unique to Aztec and Cusco/Inca, the only really bad negative ones I can think of are the altepetl revolts for Aztec (annoying, I'll grant you that) and the death of Huayna Capac (the rebels are intimidating, but it's actually a really good event because you're guaranteed a choice between two kings with boosted stats).

Last edited:
Though with the exception of Castilian civil war you would get the impression that succession crises were exclusive to non-European tags...

Well, Muscovy has the Time of Troubles at least, which iIrc are pretty painful, and Denmark has the Count's Feud, England/GB has two succession crisis disasters, Sweden has the Dacke Feud. Still, none of these are nearly as bad as poisonous estuaries.

I'm not sure which you're referring to; I actually like the El Dorado events a lot. Inti and Nahuatl religion events give lots of free stab, free development, 100-tradition generals... some stabhits and rebels too, but the stab boosts are weighted a little more common. Of the events unique to Aztec and Cusco/Inca, the only really bad negative ones I can think of are the altepetl revolts for Aztec (annoying, I'll grant you that) and the death of Huayna Capac (the rebels are intimidating, but it's actually a really good event because you're guaranteed a choice between two kings with boosted stats).

The specific ones I had in mind were altepetl revolts for Aztec and the capture of the Sapa Inka events for the Incas, which are ridiculously horrible: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Incan_events#Capture_and_Ransom_of_the_Sapa_Inca

Not only are you losing a war, you also get horrific setbacks in terms of pretty much everything.

Hello there!
This Orissa event was actually one of the first things I did after joining the dev team. Back then those provinces (and the province number check) was a way to see that Orissa hadn't lost too many provinces compared to what they started with, they used to start with both estuaries back in that version of the game. Now that Andhra is a thing it does make sense to rewrite it and perhaps take an overall look at it.
As Golladan pointed out the rebel stacks are also a lot bigger than is the norm these days (anything above 3 is pretty uncommon now) and could use revising.
I'll take another look at the event on Monday but I can say already we're past the point were it would be able to make it into the next patch :)

In general with DHEs I think you'll find that some are good and some are bad and what you get is often dependent on what happened to the country in real life. Even so I would argue that the bad events are often quite lenient compared to the real life thing they are modeled on. I would love to go over more ROTW countries to add even more DHEs (there was a drive to do this around AoW but that is sadly a long time ago now) at some point.

Lastly, given that we have an extreme lack of reported script bugs right now I'd very much appreciate if you and others would take the time to report things that look outright wrong (such as at least the rebel sizes in this event, 7 is not a number we should ever use with the current base size) in the bug forums (preferably with a savegame). I understand it can be hard to find the time to do so and it is by no means expected or required but we cannot fix what we do not know to be broken and it'd certainly be the most efficient way to get changes to upcoming patches.
For things that aren't clearly bugs the suggestions forum is also a great place to discuss what's intended, and what's not :)

Lastly, given that we have an extreme lack of reported script bugs right now I'd very much appreciate if you and others would take the time to report things that look outright wrong (such as at least the rebel sizes in this event, 7 is not a number we should ever use with the current base size) in the bug forums (preferably with a savegame). I understand it can be hard to find the time to do so and it is by no means expected or required but we cannot fix what we do not know to be broken and it'd certainly be the most efficient way to get changes to upcoming patches.

Oh, I found a rebel size bug as well. I'll go right ahead and post it in the bug forum. Thanks!

Trin to the rescue.

edit: Ireland/GB even has an event that is basically "this pirate lady is ruining our everything, what do we do?" and you get to hire her as an advisor or an admiral with no drawbacks
Uh isn't that historically accurate and represents that Pirate Captain from Brittany that swore revenge on the french after she was betrayed by them?