• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

buddharebellion

Second Lieutenant
11 Badges
Jan 22, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
The Tyranny of the Turks: an Ottoman DW 1399 WC AAR

Settings:
• DW 5.1
• Very Hard difficulty
• Lucky nations to Random
• No mods, all other settings default

Rules and Restrictions:
• No exceeding infamy limit
• No royal marriages, unless called for by mission
• No vassals, unless called for by mission
• No use of spies, except to lift Fog of War

Goals:
• Primary - conquer all of Europe
• Secondary - convert all of Europe to Islam
• Tertiary - conquer and convert as much of the rest of the world as possible

This is my first AAR and it will be gameplay-driven.

Chapter One: Beginnings

Before unpausing, first up is my slider move. I opt to head toward Narrowminded so I can enact the two religious decisions that each give 0.5 missionaries/year.

My starting mission is Conquer Southern Greece, so let's get started on that right away, plus reclaim some cores. I've got 3 diplomats, so 3 wars seems like a good number, no? I pick Byzantium, Candar, and Karamon as my first targets.

Lastly, I hire some advisors. I grab these three, as the best available at the start:

2013011900005.jpg

The wars begin well. Wallachia declares on me in alliance with the Byzantines, but no other nations get involved.

In January, the Turks get another diplomat. I put him to work right away:

2013011900006.jpg

Wallachia quickly crumbles. I get a few ducats for peace.

Byzantium is defeated in October of 1401. Morea and Thrace are mine:

2013011900009.jpg

Every little bit of infamy reduction counts, so I switch up my advisors to include a Diplomat. He's only 1 star, but as soon as my cultural tradition allows for it, I'll replace him with better.

Before the year is out, Ramazan has fallen:

2013011900012.jpg

Candar and Karaman follow in 1402. The rest of the year in uneventful. A few missionaries are sent out to begin spreading the word. Missionary work and the construction of big ships will be top spending priorities for many years to come.

As soon as I hit +3 stability in December of 1402, it's time to switch my NI. I don't really need National Conscripts, and more importantly, I need to extend the Holy War CB to as many nations as I can. So, I swap in Divine Supremacy.

2013011900016.jpg

Infidels beware.

In early 1403, the Timurids defeat Dulkadir, giving me my first border with a horde nation. By April, my infamy has dipped to 1.0. Time to plan the next war.

I need to commit some troops to fend off the Timurids in the East, but I nevertheless decide on simultaneous wars with Achaea, Venice, and Epirus. I need Athens and Achaea to fulfill my mission and I have core on Janina.

Wallachia wars with me again - this time in defense of Epirus. This war also brings Naples in as war leader. Savoy enters the Achaean war as leader there. My paltry navy can handle Naples, and perhaps Savoy, but is not yet ready to take on Venice. So, I take a shot and fire off a diplomat to Hungary to ask for military access. 'Unlikely' but:

2013012000001.jpg

Success!

You can also see that Venice has landed troops in Morea. But not enough - that battle will soon be won. The Timurids are giving me some problems, but luckily they are mostly occupied fighting the Mamluks.

Wallachia has invaded Silistria, but is soon defeated:

2013012000002.jpg

By the Summer of 1404, I've got way too many troops tied down fighting the Timurids, so I make peace by conceding defeat. Five prestige is a small price to pay to shut down this war front for 5 years.

Later that summer, the Turks annex Achaea and then make peace with Savoy, bringing that war to a close:

2013012000004.jpg

I am still besieging Janina, along with all Venetian provinces, save Venezia itself. After some naval baiting and chicanery, my troops are able to cross over from Treviso. Janina is annexed soon enough and Naples grants me White Peace.

For the next two years, I continue to besiege Venice. In that time, I send out some missionaries and build several big ships. Finally, in September of 1406, peace is made with Venice:

2013012000008.jpg

Venice is reduced to a single province. And my mission is complete. I gain cores on Athens, Achaea, and Morea.

My next mission is to conquer Kaffa. In retrospect, I probably should have cancelled this one and hoped for better.

Instead, I do this:

2013012000011.jpg

Defeating Moldavia will give the Turks a Horde border and get me closer to Kaffa. Why do I want a Horde border so soon, on Very Hard, with a Timurid border already, and European holdings to protect?

Stupidity? Overconfidence? I dunno. But I do know that I hate the Horde. (much more on that later)

The Wallachians prove once again to be faithful allies and come to Moldavia's aid. But more importantly, a few weeks later this happens:

2013012000012.jpg

Well, then. Here we go.

Last edited:
Looks interesting! I've never had the courage to try a WC, but perhaps you'll inspire me.

Great idea, I've never been closer to a WC than with the Ottomans. To spare BB I would have taken Venice vassals Corfu orNaxos instead of Albania and Treviso (you've got a core on Albania so it's BB free for later) Treviso got you a border with Austria... Why didn't you let Thrace to Byzantium for the mission tat give you a core on Thrace? Ottomans also have some BB reducing mission with vassalize Candar or I don't know what else. But too late. Build a stong navy and don't bother about some inflation early on that's the key I think when Castille, Portugal, England or all the Italian will all declare war (and given your start they will earlier than later)

Anyway good luck.

Give Moldovia to Austria, let them try to handle Golden Horde. Since you also have military access through Hungary, hit them when they are away from home and weak.

@avindian - I always do WCs at this point, but I've yet to complete one. I figure doing the AAR will help keep me motivated and entertained.

@ATBKING - After reading Prawnstar's England/GB WC, I started thinking Ottomans might just be able to do it, or at least come close.

@Zozo - Oh yeah, Ottomans do have core on Albania. Oops. First mistake of many, I'm sure. My mismanagement of the missions will come up again soon (I'm a few decades on at this point)

@il_loco - If that were possible, not a bad idea. But I also have no intention of giving away any territory.

Otooomans WC ? i'm in! :D
Oh , and Austria won't deal with the horde if they get no access to Moldavia.

Last edited:
I suppose I should say something about my overall strategy. I plan to take the Italian universities early on. As soon as it's tactically feasible, I will start colonizing horde provinces. After Italy is more or less settled, Portugal, Castille, and England must fall to stop them from colonizing. Grabbing some CoTs, as well as the remaining manufactories, would also be nice. With the Holy War CB cutting both ways, I will take provinces from European attackers to top off my infamy. I'm hoping in the long term that I can get the Cabinet NI a decade or two before I lose the Holy War CB. Cause that'd be sweet.

mmm yep take northern italy and iberia, followed by the other colonisers while colonising the hordes.

i found it MUCH more of a challenge on 5.2 due to the hordes falling apart so quick and the manpower limitations.

I suppose I should say something about my overall strategy. I plan to take the Italian universities early on. As soon as it's tactically feasible, I will start colonizing horde provinces. After Italy is more or less settled, Portugal, Castille, and England must fall to stop them from colonizing. Grabbing some CoTs, as well as the remaining manufactories, would also be nice. With the Holy War CB cutting both ways, I will take provinces from European attackers to top off my infamy. I'm hoping in the long term that I can get the Cabinet NI a decade or two before I lose the Holy War CB. Cause that'd be sweet.

When do you think you'll get to crucial targets like India and China? Like in Prawnstar's WC, I suppose the time-table of the entire LP depends significantly on how well you colonize the hordes (especially the Timurids).

@ggtothemax - I'll soon be wishing that the hordes would fall apart just a wee bit faster.

@InvisibleSandwi - No idea. Only my 2nd game on Very Hard difficulty. The morale and manpower boost the AI gets certainly makes it harder to take the horde nations out quickly.

Update due later today.

Chapter Two

Amazingly, no one else enters the war on Austria's side. Just a few months after the war began, a great victory is won:

2013012200001.jpg

The Austrian army is then hunted down and destroyed at Trent. For the next two years, the Austrians lose battle after battle, until most of their provinces are besieged and occupied. During this time many revolts break out in Turkish held lands, so troop commitments to the Austrian effort are somewhat limited.

Meanwhile, peace with Wallachia comes in October of 1408. We get 52 ducats (and a promise to never ever mess with the great Ottoman Empire again). Soon thereafter, the Timurids attack in the East. Many Turkish troops are reassigned to that front.

By the end of 1409, the Austrian defeat is near total and peace is made:

2013012200005.jpg

My infamy is currently falling by 0.85/year. I finish research on Land 6 while at war with Austria, giving me Azab Infantry. Research then begins on Government 6. The Turks need an embassy.

In February of 1410, Moldavia is annexed. The war with the Timurids rages on, even as the new Turkish border must be secured against the Golden Horde.

War with the Horde proves difficult in the North, but eventually Poland and Lithuania keep many of their troops occupied. And again the Timurids must split their forces between the Mamluks and the Turks. Many battles are fought and won against the Timurids until, in the fall of 1411, the first Turkish colonist is sent to Erserum.

With the Golden Horde and Timurids contained for now, the Turks decide to finish what they started in Venice. War is declared in December of 1411.

Thus begins The First Great War for Italy. The Ottoman Empire would not know peace again for nine long years.

The war began with a whimper. Denmark immediately pledged their aid to Venice, but Copenhagen is far from Venezia.

Venezia falls rather quickly. The Venetian navy is defeated and harried and then sunk. Naxos and Corfu are besieged. In August of 1412, colonization is completed in Erserum:

2013012500004.jpg

A border gives me reconquest CB on the Mamluks. You can also see the entirety of the glorious Turkish navy on this screen. Not enough to take on England or Castille or Portugal, but growing rapidly.

Corfu and Naxos hold out for a long time. Battles with the Golden Horde continue. Then Hungary declares war on the Turks in December. The Austrians have warned Hungary,apparently:

2013012500006.jpg

In February 1413, Bohemia enters the war on Hungary's side. In May, France declares war on the Ottomans. Denmark and France both land troops in Ottoman lands, but their navies are sunk and their invading armies destroyed. Norway, Sweden, and Brunswick also enter the war in alliance with the Danes.

In June, Venice surrenders. Venezia and Corfu are added to the Ottoman Empire.

After a crushing defeat in Croatia, the Hungarians make peace in October. This ends hostilities with Bohemia, but also ends the Austro-Turkish alliance.

In November, Milan begins a Holy War against the Turks, bringing the focus of the land war back to Italy.

In February 1414, white peace is offered by Denmark and accepted. By this time, Poland and Lithuania have both made peace with the Golden Horde. The Turks capture Cherson from the Horde, but more and more reinforcements keep arriving. Finally, with Milan and her allies of Switzerland, Genoa, Mantua, and Naples pressing the attack in
Italy, the Ottomans have no choice but to make peace with the Horde.

The Ottomans are forced to release Bosnia from its vassalage, but are now free to turn their attention back to Italy. Later in the year, the Mamluks complete their colonization of Van, and the Ottomans lose their border with the Timurids.

The Turkish navy continues to grow and continues to win:

2013012500018.jpg

Milan and Switzerland have occupied Tirol, Trent, and Lienz. But the Swiss are on the verge of defeat and Turkish reinforcements are about to arrive. In December of 1414, a nation re-enters the war....

2013012500019.jpg

...on the other side.

Poland and Lithuania both side with the Austrians against the Turks. They will largely be ignored while the Ottomans focus on the war in Italy.

In March, the French offer white peace and I accept. In October, Naples makes white peace. In 1416, the Austrians begin to gain ground, while Milan is on the verge of defeat.

Then, in June of 1416, something completely unexpected happens:

2013012500032.jpg

I have never seen the AI form the Netherlands this early. (or at all?)

In April of 1417, Milan is defeated. Pisa and Romagna become part of the Ottoman Empire.

Unfortunately, Poland and Lithuania have captured several provinces while Turkish attention was on Italy. By late 1417, they have reached Thrace. Something must be done.

Peace is made with both Poland and Lithuania. The price? Sphere reduction. Both Ferrara and Corsica are removed from the Ottoman Sphere of Influence.

Now the Turks can focus on war with Austria. Two years later, the Turks defeat the Austrians for the second time:

2013012500039.jpg

The First Great War for Italy is over. However, someone forgot to tell Denmark. And Morocco. And Novgorod. From 1419-21, a few naval battles are fought and won. White peace is made in each war.

In October 1419, The Sultan dies and is succeeded by his son, Mehmet (6/6/6). With an Adm 6 ruler, the capital is moved to Constantinople. And Ottoman Tolerance is enacted, bringing more tolerance of heathen and heretic alike.

In late 1419, research is complete on Government 6. In January 1420, construction of an embassy begins in Romagna. When complete, infamy reduction will be up to 1.25/year.

Here is a look at how things stand in early 1420:

2013012700007.jpg

2013012700009.jpg

2013012700010.jpg

2013012700013.jpg

Wow , Hungary beating Bohemia isn't something you see every day :D
Netherlands so soon? nice! and Burgundy completed a lot of its missions,too!

Otto with high flying goal - I'm sooooo signing up for the ride!

Good Luck!

A steady and rapid expansion. I like Ottoman games.

Hopefully man power won't become a nuisance. In an about 15 years it has dropped to 2410 from about 40.000. Is it because you're recruiting or because of casualities?

In my experience Hungarian armies mostly fall like they are papier-mache, it might be due to their sliders. It is much better to have them as border enemy than Austria or Bohemia.

Will you use conquest casus belli against Mamlukes? It might work to conquer Levant shore ie. Jarusalem and their port province in Red Sea so you will be able to recruit ships pretty early and get to India without exploration of Africa. Also it divides them by half and mostly ends up with their explosion into smaller states.

And lastly, here comes a bold suggestion: Try to disband HRE as soon as possible. Since you have carved your way in South Europe, in lack of HRE your expansion can become much faster and you can keep your magistrates.

Manpower drop was definitely from casualties. 10-12 years of near-constant battles in Italy/ Austria, plus fighting both GH and Timurids, plus putting down numerous revolts as war exhaustion rises.

Hungary is not a high-priority target for me. They can be left alone for now.

Mamluks are also not worth it right now. Any infamy that I spend grabbing their provinces would be better spent taking provinces with manufactories or from the likely colonizers.

How can you afford such a navy and army that early? How is your inflation?

The Ottomans have a pretty strong economy at the outset, especially after grabbing neighboring cores. And keep in mind they start at Tech 5 and have all first level buildings constructed in their provinces in 1399. That being said, I got lucky with my 2nd slider move toward Free Subjects and had inflation -2 happen. Generally, I'm running between 0.10 and 0.15 inflation per year. It was up near 3% when I had the slider move. I've also got a 6 star Master of Mint.