• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Commence saving a storyline from missing savefiles mode...

Chapter 5 - The reign of the insane

It was a quiet night round the castle, Melsass sat in his room thinking. Sure we had got rid of the murdering prince, but are we any more well off? Salvestro was a deranged old man, he didn't know how to rule a country. There was a knock at the door, Melsass opened it to see the worried face of the Pope himself, "What's the matter Your Holiness?"
"Melsass, I was out for a late night stroll round the grounds and on my way back into the castle I found this note on the door, it was stuck in with this knife."

TTuBPK5.png

"Oh my!"
"What is it Melsass?"
"That knife, that's Constantino's knife."
"Quick, I'll go and get the nurse, she's the only sane one in this castle."
"No, Your Holiness, stay here and wait for my return, I'll get the nurse, you need some rest."
And Melsass ran off across the castle to the Hospital Wing.

"NURSE, WAKE UP!"
"Wha' is it Melsass, I'm sleepin'"
"I know, The Holy Father found something and he wants you to inspect it."
"Well I guess I can't ignore a summonin' from the Pope. Lead on Mel."

"Your Holiness, you wanted ta see me."
"Ah nurse, this knife, is it the one that impaled our dear leader Salvestro?"
The nurse picked up the knife and sniffed it, then attacked the air a few times with it.
"It's certainly Hemlock, and the wound is the same shape."
"Oh my, quickly did anyone move the body of Constantino?"
"Well I certainly didn't, Mel, did you?"
"I didn't, is anyone going to read the note?"
The Pope picked up the note and started to read:

"Hello people of the Tuscan court, I find it very insulting that you voted in another Prince whilst the previous one was not dead, I will return for my title once I've regained my strength. Also can someone feed my Alsatian puppy Melanie in my absence, Signed, Constantino."

XfEwPcM.png

"Oh my, everyone be at court tomorrow, I'll go and tell the Duke and Duchess Maria."
"Okay Melsass, shouldn't we check Constantino's body?"
"Tomorrow Nurse, I need to sleep."
"Goodnight."

Down below on the grounds a figure could be seen limping across the grounds towards the castle wearing a beautiful gown of midnight blue.

The morning had come and court had to be held, Melsass had decided to hold it in the room where Constantino was killed, him and the Duke went in to see first, "Body iiiis gone Melssasss."
"Indeed, it seems Constantino wasn't actually killed."
"But how? Letter opener through the heart iiis big wound, is he for real that strong?"
"Well evidently we all underestimated him."
"Well did he not sssay he was a ssurvivorrr?"

The Pope and the nurse walked in with Duchess Maria leading Salvestro into the room behind them.
"Greeting court, I am thinking we are all gather for news. But why this room where I am being stab?"
"Well my Prince, do you see anything different about this room?"
"Ah I am not sight the letter-knife or Contantini, where he be left?"
"Well Salvestro, we believe he is still alive."
"But how, I am giving him solid stab in heart."
"Eeexactly what I wasss saying my Preeence!" interjected the Duke.
"Well I think I know why people." said the Nurse, "Some bandages and medicines went missing from the hospital wing's store cupboard."
"Do you think Constantino knew how to perform surgery?"
"Oh he was very knowledgeable, I wouldn't put it past him."
The Pope spoke out, "Melsass, I was looking at this note during the night and I noticed, do you see here where it says "Constantino"?"
"Yes."
"It's not sky-blue, it's midnight blue."
"It would seem he's embraced the darkness in himself."
At this the court dissembled, the Pope and the Duke left to go for dinner, then the Nurse and Duchess Maria went to the hospital wing because the Duchess had a hunting accident.Finally Salvestro left for his quarters, as Melsass watched him go down the hall he thought he saw a flash of midnight blue follow him, Melsass was just imagining it, he was sure.

Salvestro was standing in his room, he's a prince! He put his crown down on the desk and stood on the balcony, oh look at the beautiful sky, a lovely shade of blue today. No, sky-blue, SKY-BLUE,NOOO. He turned around to shield his eyes from the evil colour, Constantino was standing in the room. Quick Salvestro escape. But how? Fly Salvestro, it's the only way out! Of course, fly, it's only logical. And Salvestro ran and leapt from the balcony, "I'M FLYING!" was heard out over the court, the Pope, Melsass and the Duke were on the grounds having a picnic, the Duke looked up to see the Prince plummet to the ground infront of him, "What eees happening Melsass?"
"Oh god, Duke come with me, we have to get to the Prince's quarters, Your Holiness can you get the Duchess and the Nurse?"
"Yes Melsass, right away."
"Thank-you bring them to the Prince's quarters please."

Back up in the Prince's quarters Constantino, picked up the crown Salvestro had placed down and put it on his head, his rightful title was regained. Melsass ran in with the Duke just behind, "Oh,we're too late."
"Well I'm a survivor aren't I, can I remind you Melanie that I am still the prince because I have neither died nor been voted out."
"True, but you're a terrible leader."
"Oh stop it, I'm better than that madman or the crybaby Maso."
"Very well, you're the Prince again."
The Pope, Maria and the Nurse ran in."
"Constantino, you're back!"
"Hello Nurse, thank-you for the supplies, sadly I couldn't repair my eye though but I'm alive, that's what matters."
"I think Maso's old eyepatch is round here somewhere."
"Thankyou, I'll find it then go for a new portrait. Goodbye friends, and Melanie."
And Constantino limped out the room with a shroud of midnight blue following him.

GViwHIT.png

~Prince Constantino Campofregoso I, again~

I'm sorry to inform you that there is no update for Friday because I have to do things, I have a super... interesting one planned for Saturday though so don't give up on me yet!
you've been updating this so much i don't think it matters if you take a one day break

Considering that if I update twice a month for any of my AARs I'm making good progress, I shan't be complaining.

Chapter 6 - The Kingdom of Tuscany

Constantino was holding a very important meeting with his court, he had news about his new Tuscan constitution. "What are we here for Constantine?" asked Melsass
"Well Melanie, because of recent events it seems I need to strengthen my hold on the Tuscan government, earlier this week I ordered our country to become a monarchy, with the Campofregosos in charge!"

Js5IAiA.png

"WHAT! You can't do that!"
"Well why not? The Duke and the Duchess both have monarchies, right guys?"
"Yes Prince we're monarchs through and through."
"Actually it's King now!"

vAVvylq.png

"Of course, no offense meant."
"It's okay it'll take some getting used to I know."
"Constantine, the nobles will be outraged!"
"Let them be Melanie. I don't fear them."
"Sir, when you die who will rule?"
"I know, I have no heir. I have organised a marriage with the princess Poinsettia of Corsica."
"Ha, she's one of the most beautiful women in all of Italy, I don't believe that for a second."
"I'm a good friend to the king of Corsica, we supplied the funds for the set-up for their independence, in fact he was the one to make the offer of marriage!"
"Well congratulationsss Keeng, when does Poinsettiaaa arrive in Tuscany?" asked the Duke.
"In a weeks time, the Pope has gone off with his fleet to collect her from Corsica."
"I wasss theenking I should be getting a wife sssoon too but all the offersss are out too keel me."
"Sure they are Duke."
"I am sure of it Keeng, other nations are jealous of Modena."
"Yes I bet, being a one-province vassal nation, now I have more to talk about, I drew up a map of our aims for Tuscany."

TLHyt8t.png

"The sky blue is our current state and the midnight blue is what I plan for."
"So Mantua, Pisa and Naples, why Naples though?" said the Duchess of Ferrara
"If there is ever a great Italian war, we could find ourselves stuck between Milan and Naples, one border is easier to protect than two!"
"Fair point, so who's first?"
"Well Urbino just declared independence in Romagna, we're going to defeat Urbino again!"

KZsWDcE.png

"Duke, could you lead the army on this siege, I have a rebel problem in Parma too sort out."
"Of courssse my Keeng, tomorrow we march right?"
Of course, you deliver the speech, I'm leaving now."

Constantino left the room leaving the Duke and Duchess, Melsass and the nurse behind. The nurse spoke first, "How th' hell did I become part of the royal court?"
"Because you'rrre very cleverrr weeth the plotting. You should take a break from all the plotting."
"Oh thank-you, I've been meaning to go on a holiday, can I come to Romagna with you Duke?"
"Of courssse, be ready tomorrow, and don't be killing me on the way."
The Nurse left along with the Duke, Melsass muttered to Maria "Don't you think sieging a castle is a weird first date?"
"Well the Duke is an odd man wouldn't you agree?"
Melsass chuckled and left the room.

The Duke had arrived at Romagna, him and the army were sieging the fort alongside men from Ferrara and his own Modena, The Duke wasn't necessarily a fighting man but he was a skilled fighter from learning self defense in case of attack from his many rivals, he had great things hidden away in the fort of Modena that his family had purchased over the centuries and had sworn to protect, luckily Constantino hadn't heard of these things, he shuddered to think of what such a man could do with them. He set off a trebuchet he had ordered to be placed in a very strategic spot, it worked the fort was broken open on the eastern tower, he ran in wielding his family's blade which his family bought off King Arthur centuries ago, he secretly liked to believe it was Excalibur.

The battle of Romagna continued for hours before the Duke and a few men broke into the King's room and grabbed him, the Duke walked to the fort balcony and shouted out to the fighters below, "People offf Urbino, the battle ees ended, I have captured your Keeng, you may stop fighting now, eef you don't I weel kill you."
He turned to his army, "Breeng the Keeng to my tent on the battleground, I will make the peace there."

D7OzbBi.png

The Duke sat in his tent with the Nurse discussing the possible peace treaties, they had two options:
1) Outright annex Urbino and gain Romagna, but everyone around would be upset much by this.
2) Vassalise them and then use that to declare war on Urbino's enemy Mantua which would complete the north of the Tuscan plan made by Constantino.

Which one should I go with people, I can't decide?

Option number two seems the most advantageous - then you could diplo-annex them in time.

Another thoroughly enjoyable update - I'm enjoying the characterisation a lot. Was Despotic Monarchy the only option available, or old you have gone for Feudal?

I'm looking forward to the next update.

I would go with the vassalization as well. Interesting update. I do like the Duke. Almost like a combo of an asp and an Arab thief. (I could be completely wrong, but that's what I make him sound like.)

Btw, update at your own pace. Whatever is comfortable for you.

Seconded.

Thirded. Kill everyone.

Clearly, as Constantinos has shown through his personal experiences, death is not something of which to be afraid.

Chapter 7 - The End of One Story

The Duke of Modena and The Nurse had come to a descision, he called for the King of Urbino to be summoned, "So Keeng, we have deecided we will take your country again, you will be eemprisoned in the castle of Modena."
"Why Modena?"
"Beecause that ees where I am and I may have uses for you later."
The King of Urbino had no choice but too comply but he knew strange things happened in Modena and he didn't want to go there at any rate, he tried to befriend The Duke. "Okay I agree with this, I have no choice really, seeing as I'm going to be in your castle can I have your name?"
"My name ees not a thing to be thrown around, you may call me The Duke, be careful weeth theengs like names."
"Of course my Duke, may I leave now?"
"Guards! Take thees man to the deepeest dungeon of Castle Nezacra in Modena."
"Please Duke there's no need for the deepest one!"
And the King was taken away to the formidable castle of Modena.

qimPGsP.png

"So why did you imprison him in your castle my Duke?" said the nurse
"I had a preemoneetion, we will be needing refuge and as many influeencial people as we can."
"Oh dear!"

All the way back in Firenze Constantino was looking at the bad situation of his country, he had no heir (though Poinsettia was pregnant!) and he had no allies besides his vassals, many people were out to get him for his bad, illegal monarchy. He knew he was teetering on the edge of stability, suddenly someone burst into the room, it was Poinsettia, "CONSTANTINO! I'M ABOUT TO GIVE BIRTH, WHERE'S THE NURSE?"
"She's away with the Duke, don't worry I know about nursing! Lie down on the bed!"
And after a few hours of Constantino trying to be a nurse (there's a small difference between bandaging a wound and helping his wife give birth.) he had a son, he ripped a scrap off his midnight blue gown to wrap the child in. Poinsettia had decided he should be named after her father, Ferdinando, Constantino was about to disagree but he realised she had just given birth so he agreed with every intention of renaming him later.

ZWCYBwo.png

But the man outside the door had different ideas; he wanted to be king, he burst in and said, "Constantino, hand over your child and your life, I have 12,000 people surrounding your castle."
"No, I'd rather die than give you my son."
"Well we're asking for both so that's okay."
The man took a step closer. "Poinsettia! Take the baby, run through the back exit, I'll hold them off!"
Constantino unsheathed his sword, "Please Constantino, we know you're a terrible swordsman."
"But an excellent tactician."
The men started to fight, Poinsettia ran for the door with no shoe and only a white dress on, the usurper made a lunge for her and cut off her leg but Constantino stabbed him in the back as more men poured into the room. "Hop then Poinsettia but escape!"
Poinsettia limped towards the door and left seeing her husband holding back the usurpers, they say he has no honour, but he at least loved his family.

Rp5I1Gg.png

The Pope and the Duchess Maria were walking down the castle path to see what the noise was about the Pope looked up, "Maria, look, the flag is changed, that's the flag of Giuliano Buti's family!"
"The castle's been stormed! I'll head in, you find a way away!"
"Of course, God guide you Maria, best of luck. Come to Modena if you live!"
Maria ran off towards the castle leaving The Pope behind alone, he was about to start walking back towards Firenze to catch a carriage to Castle Nezacra in Modena when he saw a white shape slowly moving across the field, assuming it was an escaper he walked over. Poinsettia saw a man walking towards her but it wasn't a bad man like the ones in the castle, as he got closer she noticed it was the Pope, "YOUR HOLINESS, HELP!"
"Poinsettia, is that you?"
"Yes, I got away but lost one leg but I've got my son."
"We need to get away! Did Constantino escape?"
"No he stayed to let me and Ferdinando escape."
"Maria just ran in to provide help, we have to get on a carriage for Castle Nazacra, the most protective fort in Europe."
"Can you help me walk please?"
The Pope hoisted Poinsettia's arm around his neck for balance and they set off to Modena.

The Duke was returning to Firenze with the news for Constantino with the Nurse by his side, as they walked up to the castle they weren't as observant as the Pope and Maria and didn't see the flag, "Can you hear that noise my Duke?"
"Yes I theenk it ees coming true, I must get into there quickly and save who I can."
He produced a key from under his cape and handed it to the Nurse, "Go to my castle, this is the key, and good luck."
"Goodbye my Duke, I hope everything is okay."
The Duke ran off towards the castle, the Nurse watched him as he climed the wall and jumped though the balcony with his blade brandished like a tendril of death, she heard someone call her from down the path, "NURSE, QUICKLY WE HAVE TO GET AWAY!"
It was the Pope and Queen Poinsettia with a baby. The nurse ran down the path towards them, "We're going to The Duke's castle did he tell you how to get in?"
"I have the key."
She looked down; why was Poinsettia propped up on the Pope like that, "Oh dear Poinsettia, what happened to your leg?"
"I lost it escaping, can you fix it?"
"I can put a wooden one in as the best thing, but later we must leave."

And The Pope, The Nurse and Poinsettia walked down to Firenze for a carriage to Modena.

Back up in the castle The Duke and Maria were fighting there way too the room were Constantino could be heard, but it was no use; hundreds had been slain by them but not even a few metres had been advanced, the men were endless streams from the doors of the castle, but they continued fighting anyway. Constantino was having an equally hard time, he was no swordsman and many people easily overwhelmed him but he was a survivor and nothing could stop him from reuniting with his dear Poinsettia and his son, nothing.

ZTyGkgo.png

Last edited: