• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Although not much expansion on the outside, the balancing from the inside is definitely a great accomplishment. Will the next ruler go outwards again? I do hope so.

i'd ally the ottomans and ditch egypt as ally. Eat them yourself!

Question: why 'The Mamluk' or 'The Ottoman'? Isn't it just plural?

A shame in many respects - the chance to possibly limit the Ottomans early is not to be avoided.

At this point, however, they might serve to deter Castile from attacking me, if they (or France) would only ally with me :(

Although not much expansion on the outside, the balancing from the inside is definitely a great accomplishment. Will the next ruler go outwards again? I do hope so.

Wishes do come true, Tom D !

i'd ally the ottomans and ditch egypt as ally. Eat them yourself!

Easier said than done, atwix. If I attacked Egypt, the Ottomans would surely attack me one day (mistaking me for an Egyptian, no doubt).

Question: why 'The Mamluk' or 'The Ottoman'? Isn't it just plural?

It is indeed, Asantahene. My wording is not meant to be a corrective, it's just the dismissive tone I've adopted to convince me that I'm a brave warrior, perhaps in the way Lord Nelson might have referred to Napoleon as "that Corsican." For in fact I role-play thinking I deal with a monarch, not with an entire people or nation.

Easier said than done, atwix. If I attacked Egypt, the Ottomans would surely attack me one day (mistaking me for an Egyptian, no doubt).

they will attack you also if you don't, after making themselves stronger with eating egypt.

it would need otto taking crap ideas, and a powerful PLC or Russia to kill/box in Ottomans usually :)

if ottomans have an administrative ruler, i'd go for egypt.

but who knows... maybe mamluks can stand up to ottomans if they are busy in the northwest or north or northeast. They got lot more powerful with hejaz as vassal.

they will attack you also if you don't, after making themselves stronger with eating egypt.
it would need otto taking crap ideas, and a powerful PLC or Russia to kill/box in Ottomans usually :)
if ottomans have an administrative ruler, i'd go for egypt.
but who knows... maybe mamluks can stand up to ottomans if they are busy in the northwest or north or northeast. They got lot more powerful with hejaz as vassal.

Thanks for the tips, atwix ! I just read your Jangladesh aar. How much did you have to bribe the AI to give you so many neighbours with no allies ??!

Chapter Four
How Portugal Helps Us Without Meaning To

July 1492 - November 1502

fCiaAb7.jpg

The reign of Sultan Ali I may be even shorter than his predecessor’s — ten years. That doesn’t make it any less decisive for the fate of Tunis.

It begins with a shift in focus. The aborted war with the Ottomans had still put a strain on the Treasury. Increasing the royal revenues is this realm’s absolute priority.

ewIdHlW.jpg

In other words : I’m as poor as a mosquemouse and desperately need to improve my income.

How to make more money ? Improve trade. Tunisian shipping must be top of the notch. Our merchants must possess the fine art of balancing out risk and profit. What we can’t afford to buy we might perhaps steal.

I invite some knowledgeable people to survey the land.

“Riches abound in blessed Tunis, Great One !” they say. “Salt and sugar are always in high demand. Tunis has both. There is copper and iron to sustain noble warfare. There are oases to water the herds and irrigate fields of wheat. Cloth and wool to cover the naked. Tunis wants for nothing !”

c7un3s1.jpg

GQ3dFVd.jpg

Wrong. Tunis wants for spices. Touggourt has spices. But more about Touggourt anon.

Sultan Ali’s stats help push Tunis along on the tech path. Our military reaches a turning point. To survive and grow, we need to ditch some ancestral habits for new, modern techniques. It makes for some grumbling amongst the longest serving fighters.

And it doesn’t help that in the second year of this reign, I dishonour the alliance with Morocco.

V9zycA9.jpg

4xhyK3I.jpg

aS1rEtN.jpg

We just can’t afford it. Besides, who wants Portuguese and Castilian forces swarming all over Tunis, soiling our womenfolk and pinching all the riches these merchants say we have ? I’m just trying to save money.

When Majorca embraces the True Faith, the missionary can take an extended holiday. It greatly relieves the Treasury. How I long to attack Tlemcen ! But not now. Patience. Revenge against Tlemcen will be the sweetest thing on earth any man has ever tasted. For the present, however, fate delivers Touggourt into our hands.

For about this time, Portugal unwittingly does us a favour. It negotiates a separate peace with Touggourt. Touggourt had been fighting for Morocco, but then hastily opted out. (Isn’t that what they did before, when fighting against Mzab ?)

uDysP1Z.jpg

Poor, hapless, Touggourt. Saddled with such an inept ruling tribe from the start. Thinking it was in the same class as Morocco or Glorious Tunis. Time to put an end to its misery.

I beef up our fighting force some more. At the end of 1497, when they least expect it, I declare war on Touggourt.

I summon ally Fezzan to our assistance. As I suspected they would, they decline the invitation. They side with foolish Touggourt instead ! Well, that suits me just fine. My loyal spies have just informed me of the circumstances of the Italian duchies in relation to their nominal emperor. A ”shadow kingdom.” Fezzan is about to become a shadow sultanate.

1T1VSI7.jpg

6tTbo3f.jpg

Placing myself at the head of the Tunisian fighting force, we stomp all over Touggourt like toddlers in a mud puddle. Nine months, most of them in the searing Saharan heat, and my men have occupied the enemy’s only citadel. The rest is (more) child’s play.

Along comes Fezzan to their ally’s rescue. What about their alliance with glorious Tunis ? They find out what happens to dogs like themselves at the Second Battle of Ghadames.

aMkVioV.jpg

Nv0ZCp2.jpg

x49DLfl.jpg

Because I inspire people even when I’m not around

“O woe is me, woe is me !” wails the Sultan of Fezzan. “What have I done to my good friend Ali ?”

An ambassador throws himself at my feet, begging me to throttle him, if I would only accept his master’s peace offering first.

78hWW05.jpg

Ouch. I didn’t think anyone thought that low of me that they would expect me to be tempted by an offer of 112 ducats. What an insult.

“Torture this son of a she-camel !” is the only response possible under the circumstances.

We carry on with the programme : the complete despoliation of Fezzan. Mission accomplished in July 1499. Thus ends the saga of the insignificant dynasty of Touggourt. As for fickle Fezzan — they shall be awarded the privilege of being our slaves for ever.

Oh, and now we have spices in our bazaars.

hRvOmej.jpg
ukTIVHx.jpg

R02ul6m.jpg

While I would have preferred annexing both sultanates, having one become a vassal isn’t bad, and it’s certainly less expensive. Manpower reserve is exhausted again. It will take decades to recover. Miraculously, though, my dream of dominion over the western half of North Africa is slowly coming true ! From west to east, there are now only Morocco (in part occupied by Portugal), Tlemcen, and Tunis-Fezzan. From then on, it’s Mamluk land all the way to the Nile, Palestine and the gates of the Ottoman Empire.

What does the rest of the world think ? Tlemcen hates us still — they’re becoming more European, so they believe ; the Pope of Rome thinks better of us ; my subjects adore me ; and our value on the international marketplace shoots through the roof.

TcJcaSA.jpg

r5Y4PwA.jpg

6XUfQpS.jpg

The AI has had enough of my successes. It decides to murder me in my bed. I needs must leave behind a Crown Prince barely ten years old.

PNi7wGp.jpg

Even though — just by the way — it seems to me that this type of succession needs to be remedied in a future patch or DLC. This is a non-European culture. To be more historically plausible, I would suggest there should always be an adult male, not a Regency, in charge of the realm if a boy-prince is designated as heir. The kid’s eldest uncle or something. Until the heir comes of age. Never a Regency. Additionally, there should be palace intrigue galore where said uncle attempts to murder boy-prince and seize the throne. Get the uncles on the maternal side involved, and all the half-brothers sired upon concubines. Dynastic turmoil, blood everywhere : a great time to be had by all :p

~~~​

Last edited:
Discretion is sometimes the better part of valour. Why fight larger countries when you can fight smaller ones.

Tunis is actually pretty rich (rescource-wise) but without manufactures there isn't much benefit from it. But the times where there are plenty of manufactures will come, one day! And good to hear Tunis is going outwards again, but how is the rest of the world doing (especially Mamluks-Ottomans)? Any opportunity to invade?

Was the king murdered or did he just die early?

Thanks for the tips, atwix ! I just read your Jangladesh aar. How much did you have to bribe the AI to give you so many neighbours with no allies ??!

i just took my chances when i saw them. Thanks for reading that AAR, it was the hardest campaign i ever did, as this was done on ethe mare nostrum patch, where condottieri stacks were hired like no tomorrow by AI.

As for your campaign, i'd ally ottomans for protection against portugal and castile. You can go for mamluks yourself, when ottomans invade them.

but that is micromanaging heavy and risky. However, its usually a fight over who reaches inner egypt and cairo fort FIRST.

if ottomans does not have military ruler, you can even steal away the border with ottomans and take jerusalem for yourself.

i show how to do that in my granada camapign and many of my AAR also.

here is part 3 of my granada camapign which shows how i did it.

if you grow a lot, ottomans will go friendly sooner or later if they didn't take allies yet with league mechanic.

hence, blobbing before leagues is kinda needed, to kiss up to ottomans. you can then blob some more with their protection, and abandon alliance if plc/russia proves to be too strong for ottomans.

In the end, you can get cores and ports in red sea, and delve into arabia and east africa from there.

alternatively, you could decide to eat morocco for yourself after portugal weakened them.

and take exploration for while and colonize the corridor from fez into west africa (area of air)

Discretion is sometimes the better part of valour. Why fight larger countries when you can fight smaller ones.

Let's say it's a question of striking at the right time ;)

Tunis is actually pretty rich (rescource-wise) but without manufactures there isn't much benefit from it. But the times where there are plenty of manufactures will come, one day! And good to hear Tunis is going outwards again, but how is the rest of the world doing (especially Mamluks-Ottomans)? Any opportunity to invade?

At the moment, the Ottomans and Mamluks are busy killing each other. Some of the smaller countries in the horn of Africa are also sniping at Egypt :)

Was the king murdered or did he just die early?

He just died early. I have yet to see a murder-plot pop-up in EU4 ;)

i just took my chances when i saw them. Thanks for reading that AAR, it was the hardest campaign i ever did, as this was done on ethe mare nostrum patch, where condottieri stacks were hired like no tomorrow by AI.

As for your campaign, i'd ally ottomans for protection against portugal and castile. You can go for mamluks yourself, when ottomans invade them.
but that is micromanaging heavy and risky. However, its usually a fight over who reaches inner egypt and cairo fort FIRST.
if ottomans does not have military ruler, you can even steal away the border with ottomans and take jerusalem for yourself.
i show how to do that in my granada camapign and many of my AAR also.
here is part 3 of my granada camapign which shows how i did it.

if you grow a lot, ottomans will go friendly sooner or later if they didn't take allies yet with league mechanic.
hence, blobbing before leagues is kinda needed, to kiss up to ottomans. you can then blob some more with their protection, and abandon alliance if plc/russia proves to be too strong for ottomans.

In the end, you can get cores and ports in red sea, and delve into arabia and east africa from there.
alternatively, you could decide to eat morocco for yourself after portugal weakened them.
and take exploration for while and colonize the corridor from fez into west africa (area of air)

That was some campaign ! I'm still in early stages, but empire-building is definitely on my table :)

Chapter Five
Pop-Ups I Could Have Lived Without

November 1502 - August 1518

The five years of Regency are mostly about anecdotes (=pop-ups) that affect development, the economy, and tech. All of that counts. Most of it hurts.

Take for example the imams. They hate progress in any form whatsoever. For gameplay, that means choosing between losing piety or losing Admin Power and/or ducats. A lose-lose situation. There are heretics in Tunis. I get up to fifty percent less tax from them. If I defy the imams and lose piety, missionary strength suffers, sometimes to a point where I cannot in a million months convert the heretics. So I lose tax money. If I want piety, I pay for it with Admin Power, keeping me behind Europe. :mad:

But there can be some good pop-ups. Good for the economy. Like better trade efficiency.

E9O04Xw.jpg

Then there are the European “ages” (since I don’t have Mandate From Heaven) with the penalties for not having them : Renaissance, Colonialism, etc. Since I don’t have Renaissance yet, tech is already fifty percent more expensive for me. On top of that, I’m zapped with more penalties for not having Colonialism as of 1505.

I did manage to get to Admin tech level 5. I decided to go for Trade Ideas as first idea group. It gives me an extra merchant, ergo a chance to improve the economy.

I also manage to get to level 9 for military. At the same time (1503) I renew the alliance with Morocco. Don’t know why really, but you never know, an ally might actually help one day.

4OmY9fS.jpg

Bhy32ZC.jpg

I take note that Protestantism happens in the HRE. I am so happy not to be a part of that mess.

There is one curious episode involving my Italian ally Siena. They go after Lucca, and want my help. I say yes, do virtually nothing except blockade a port. Siena takes Lucca, I lose no manpower, everyone is happy. I liked that anecdote.

In October 1507, ’Usman I takes over. His stats are nothing to write home about. However, he’s got an architect’s vision — giving us ten percent discount on all building contracts. It’s a huge help.

K3TZA7c.jpg

4Mmqx4j.jpg

QUfF78A.jpg

ECttknB.jpg

But it won’t last long, as we shall see.

In the next year, three important events.

First, an extra boost for the economy. Thank you, AI.

Second, the imams again. Insufferable lot. This time, they are not pushing me around. I got +25 piety last time, I don’t mind giving it back for thirteen miserable ducats. That’s how penniless I am.

The third one is the best one : the Iberian Wedding event. Castile decides not to Personal-Union with Aragon ! O joy ! I hit the “Save game” button immediately — no way am I losing that rarest of rare events.

5Su3OsX.jpg

isFThgv.jpg

The next event is cruel. Directed against me personally. (Normal for the AI.) I apologise for repeating myself, but I am destitute. If you still don’t believe me, read the next two pop-ups. It appears that a princess of my dynasty was given in marriage to my good-for-nothing vassal Fezzan. Can we not be helpful, dear princess ?

FdVWg6a.jpg

oQqisED.jpg

You are evil

Some people — rival Genoa, for instance — get people to pay off their debts for them. (I learn this from a pop-up that allows me to choose which rival to spy on more efficiently.)

When something good happens to the economy — like a stability bonus, which carries a small percentage bonus for income — I’m thrilled. I get one in 1514 because my little brother Yahyâ comes of age. He’s my heir, since I don’t have any kids, not sure I’m even married yet. But a few minutes later, another pop-up annuls the previous one. (Yo-yo... Yahyâ... what next ?)

88c0TZB.jpg

34Td1XD.jpg

BGXTyKb.jpg

Is there something I can do, where I’m in control, to boost income ? Yes. Pirate runs. It’s what we Barbaresque folk are famous for. I send a tiny contingent off to raid ships in the Adriatic. Ragusa and Venice have a booming trade. And yes, all of a sudden I’m getting an extra 0.9 ducats/month. Yuwee-yuwee !

But of course, the same thing happens. The AI doesn’t like my success. So it murders me in my bed again, after a ten-year reign. My brother Yahyâ takes over. His stats are better than mine, so it’s okay. He’s also married and already got a son.

dAXYKXb.jpg

6koKGZp.jpg

“Long life and prosperity on your House, Great One !” chime the imams.

Yeah, them again. Every time there’s a new Sultan, they pop up out of nowhere. I see the word “donation” in large print. They’re bringing me a gift ? Read the fine print. They take a gift, or I lose piety. I choose to lose the ducats. (Maybe I should convert the heretics in Tunis so that my piety can go to zero and the imams can go to Hertford, Hereford or Hampshire ?)

The good news is that Research in Tunis chugs along at a decent pace. A year into my accession and I get up to military tech 10. Time to retire some of these desert rats with their obsolete combat gear for more up-to-date Culverin and Cavalry.

iaYznRg.jpg

gCUIKmA.jpg

enUUfiQ.jpg

Qizilbashing, anyone ?

Not being one to let a good thing go to waste, I formulate a plan. A simple one.

War :D

~~~​

Last edited:
War is always a great way to distract people from-ah-other troubles shall we say. Those Imams are a pest and you need to do something about your lack of funds

Interesting times ahead

This felt like it was the darkest times in the history of Tunis :eek:. And surely that can't be true. War will definitely solve your issues!

Those meddlesome troublesome priest-equivalents! :D

War sounds reasonable given the frustrations.

War is always a great way to distract people from-ah-other troubles shall we say. Those Imams are a pest and you need to do something about your lack of funds
Interesting times ahead

Interesting indeed. And adrenalin-boosting ! :D

This felt like it was the darkest times in the history of Tunis :eek:. And surely that can't be true. War will definitely solve your issues!

Neither the darkest nor the most difficult, I have to say. Bothersome. The next bit is more exciting.

Those meddlesome troublesome priest-equivalents! :D
War sounds reasonable given the frustrations.

War will be fun, LOL. I discovered that when the ruler’s piety is down, the army’s morale also plummets :mad: Looks like I will have to placate the imams for a long time to come.

Quick Evaluation

Dear readers/fellow gamers,

I have now played 72 years as Tunis. On the eve of another war, time to sit back and take stock of the path travelled so far.

Not bad ! If you would allow me to pat myself on the back. A satellite’s-eye view of the Mediterranean region might help.

SBXDA3P.jpg

The goal of becoming Numero Uno in North Africa is off to a good start. Remember that Fezzan is my vassal. Morocco is my nominal ally, but it must stand up against the same monolith as I : the Portugal-Castile-Tlemcen alliance. Hence the batting of eyelids at France — up to now without much success.

Grabbing the Baleares and Sardinia was a costly but supremely satisfying coup. They are now Sunni, but there remain cultural tensions. As I discovered thanks to a couple of followers who commented, I’m on my way to the Sons of Carthage Achievement. I’m not playing in Ironman mode, but still, it’s the principle.

My allies are :
- the Mamluk in the East,
- Morocco to the west,
- Siena in Italy.

(On the map above, Siena is just barely distinguishable from the Papal State, both being almost the same colour as me and the Mamluk.)

Rivals are : Portugal, Aragon, Genoa.

Genoa has an alliance with Austria, who at present has access to the Adriatic Sea. Portugal — see above. Aragon is married to Naples, and very cosy with the Papal State.

NEW GOALS

Since I still expect to be smashed at any time, we’ll stick with short-term goals :
- build up the economy ;
- sow discontent in Castile — liberating Granada would be grand ;
- sow discontent in Portugal — boot them out of North Africa ;
- increase development in Tunis.

If I could find a way to break up the Portugal-Castile-Tlemcen monolith, I’d do it without hesitation. But there’s enough on my plate already.

Two of my three allies are Muslim states. It has been suggested that Tunis might devour Egypt. As a long-term goal, it could very well be in the cards. At this stage, however, getting into Granada to form Andalusia looks more enticing. After Granada, why not the whole Iberian peninsula ?

As mentioned earlier, I’m already planning for war. Clue : that would be offensive, not defensive.

Next evaluation in a hundred years or so.

Last edited:
In part time to lie low and wait for a good opportunity perhaps.

Neatly poised