• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(45168)

Camerlengo
Jun 10, 2005
forum.paradoxplaza.com
PapalSeal.jpg

"VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCTAUS DEUS ADERIT"

The year is 1836, and Italy is little more than a geographical phrase used to describe the patchwork of of kingdoms and princedoms that criss cross the Italian Peninsula. Regional powers like Sardinia-Piedmont in Northern Italy and Two Sicillies in the south have design's upon the land and the people whisper of a coming war in which they all know is coming. Not only do the various Italian nations look upon their homeland with dreams of grandeur, but France and Austria look on as well with greedy eyes; the land of ancient Rome is no stranger to bloodshed.

Amongst the turmoil the Italian people have one major connection, their faith, and the Catholic Church. Pope Gregory XVI leads the splintered Catholic world, and see's that without action and a strong leader the lords faithful flocks will be drawn into yet another fruitless war against each other in which they cannot hope to win, but not everyone see's the world as he. The Papal States, like the rest of Italy is riddled with resentment towards the government. Revolutionaries, liberals, religious distends and more lurk in the shadows ready to make best to them the most desolate situations. The Pope hopes to move soon, and plan's a way to unite his people and the Catholic world into a true Kingdom of God....

This is a story about hope, faith, murder, betrayal and war.

~Index~

Last edited:
A Papal AAR by the looks of it... great! Should be of the upmost interest!

sounds good, but no updates in a while?

Looks interesting. Hopefully not dead AAR right from the start :wacko:.

January 1st, 1836 Vatican City, Roma

Frederico Ettore watched from the window of his modest palazzo as hundreds of dimly light lanterns dotted the narrow streets of Vatican City, snaking their way along the busy cobblestone pathways and narrow alleys that twisted and turned between the different city districts. The early morning light had just hit the Apostolic Palazzo before filling the streets with warm rays of sunshine, beckoning the city to life and making the street lights no longer necessary. Turning from the window he took sip of a hot cup of coffee, the hot steam rising off the cup rising up before dissipating in the cool breeze that came through the window. Quietly Frederico crept through the palazzo, making sure to step lightly until he reached the bedroom in which she lay.

His eye’s drifted over her body, tangled amongst the soft sheets of the bed and he stood there for several moments, his cool gaze watching her every move before she finally began to stir.

“Good morning..” she said sheepishly, a warm smile springing to face as she began to rise out of the bed, bringing with her the bed sheets that draped around her.

“Good morning.” He replied, returning the smile before they embraced. “Coffee’s on the table.” He said, nodding into the next room.

After she dressed they walked back into the room where the window was open, a small oakwood table sat centered in the room surrounded by the sounds of the bustling city below. On the table sat a pot of coffee and several sweet buns along with several plates containing sausage, bacon and eggs with a center piece of roses in the table’s center.

“I thought you could use some breakfast.” Frederico said softly, his hands grasping her shoulders before pulling her tight and wrapping his arms around her. From here he could smell the sweet fragrance of perfume that came off her body from the previous night. Her long black hair smelled like honey, and her perfume like freshly picked flowers. Her skin was a soft, golden brown color that felt as smooth as it looked. Breaking away from his grip she turned and he could see her thin, beautiful facial features dominated by her sea green eye’s and soft plump lips, which she pressed against his own rough and grizzly features.

“What brought this on?” she asked, flashing him a coy but sweet smile. “Is it my birthday?” she joked.

Frederico simply smiled and gently shook his head. “No, not quite..”

“Then what’s all this?”

“Can’t we just eat breakfast first?” he asked, waving his hand in a sarcastic motion in which she obliged, fixing her a heaping plate of food and taking a seat across from Frederico’s seat. The two ate their breakfast quietly while Frederico looked over the morning paper he had picked up that morning in market. As usual, he found nothing he liked. The papers we’re slammed as of late with anti-monarchist rabble and liberal poppycock, and it wasn’t just in Roma either, it was all over Italy. Shaking off the anger he felt for such nonsense he told himself that today he wasn’t going to worry about it. Not today.

After they finished their breakfast he lead hear out unto the small balcony that resided just outside the open window. It was just small enough to fit too people but offered a beautiful view of the city and St. Peters Square along with the Basilica. They stood there for a moment before he turned to her and kissed her, his rough facial hair rubbing against her soft and flawless skin.

“What has gotten into you today Frederico Ettore?” she giggled, her arms wrapping around his neck.

“This.”

Slowly he reached into his pants pocket, producing a small box with a golden ring residing inside before forcing himself to one knee despite the pain that shot through his leg.

“Claudia Sergia, would you honor me by being my bride?”

1836, Rome and they are consuming that stuff as breakfast?
BACON!!!! :D:p

Oh, nice writing. ;)

Thank you kind sir! I apologize for the horrendous delay in the AAR, things didn't pan out the way I had hoped and I got tied up with real life, but I promise to keep them coming now and I assure you it will be an interesting ride!

Interesting start. :) Is Frederico historical or your own creation?

The sound grew louder and louder as more and more people crowded themselves into St. Peters Square. It was the sound of discontent, marred by shouts and cries anger that flowed off the crowed in waves of revolutionist chants. Liberale! Some called while others chanted Republicani! and Monderati! while thrusting their fists and banners in the air.

In the distance a lone man dressed in red stood before the crowed, his weathered face appearing strong in conviction as he withstood the hailstorm of chants and insults that flew from the crowed. Behind him stood several other men, likewise cloaked in red who watched with much anticipation for the speech to begin.

The man’s hands rose from the podium that stood before him, commanding the crowed to silence as they came back down in contact with the podium. The square slowly fell silent, the roar of the crowed becoming snuffed out like a flame by the ageing hands of the man who they had so vigorously shouted at just moments before.

“I stand before you here today, my heart broken by what I see before me.” The man spoke.

“You dwell behind these city walls, walk these streets and profit from all that the Holy Father has bestowed upon you, yet here, today you stand in opposition of the institution that freed you from the yoke of foreign oppression all those years ago!” his voice seemed to boom throughout the square, carried on by the wind as if it we’re the breath of God.

“Where are the cries for the Ristorazionista? Where are the flag for your Holy Father? For the mother Church who carved out for you this land in which you so profit from?”

“You seek to keep us in ignorance and hinder progress!” a man shouted from the crowed, urging the rest of the crowed to more shouts of anger.
“Ignorance is bliss, I only seek to enlighten so that you may see the world for what it is around you.” The man in red continued to speak.

“Would any other ruler truly be as so kind to allow even this kind of blatant display of rebellion? Do you believe the Arch-Duke of Austria, or the King of France to allow you to assemble and protest so vigorously their policies? My fellow countrymen, I stand before you here with only the word and pen as my weapon, when others would surely meet you with the point of a sword or barrel of a rifle.”

The crowed grew silent once again, but there we’re still whispers that snaked their way through the crowed and into the ears of those in discontent.

“This is not a time for division and earthly politics my friends; It is a time for unity and stability in our own house, to build strong bonds of nationality and friendship with one another. We are all that stands between the subjugation of all of Italy by foreign tyrants. To the north lays Austria and the French puppet of Sardina-Piedmont, and to the south lies the Spanish backed Kingdom of Naples. Our common faith is all that holds us from all out war and the will of God that our country may not be bathed red in the blood of our fellow man. As we speak, our Holy Father travels throughout Europe to gain support for our noble cause of independence and unification..”

“Gregory is a tyrant, not a savior!” the man who called out earlier shouted. “We remember the rebellions… and we remember Papal steel!” another cry came, again turning the crowed to protest and chants.

“You think God to be a liberal? When we pass from this world, those who are pure in heart and faith will ascend to the Kingdom of Heaven. Your obedience to God should be reflected in your obedience to not just Pope Gregory XVI, but to The Church as well. The Moderati and Republicani we’re not ordained by God to lead our people into the future, and it was not the Liberale who secured independence and a state of our own. You owe your life, your souls and well being to the Holy Mother Church!”

The crowed became unruly; the cries grew louder and louder until the whole square shook and the ground quaked with the stomping of their footsteps. It was the sound of brewing revolution.

“May God have mercy on your souls..” the man said solemnly to himself, his wrinkled face turning from the crowed and to the men who stood behind him. “I feel sorrow in my heart for what must be done.”

“As do we all, Cardinal Lambruschini.” Another of the men said, meeting him and placing his hand upon Lambruschini’s shoulder. The two men turned back once again, viewing the crowed almost in full riot.

“They’ll tare the Square apart if we don’t.”

Lambruschini nodded solemnly. “Signal the Swiss Guard.”

Interesting start. :) Is Frederico historical or your own creation?

Frederico is my own creation, which came from weeks of frustration of having trouble to figure out how to properly come up with a main character that I really liked heh.

Jumping directly to the great rebellion and second Roman res publica? :cool:

Not quite, I think a conspiracy and few murders in between would make it a bit better before the big bang ;)

The Cardinal seems to have un-forgotten the point of a sword and the barrel of a rifle are not only wielded against the rebels of Austria and France - in fact, it seems that they find more use in his hands than they did in those of the last four French Kings...

Sorry for the delay everyone, I'm having a massive case of writers block.