• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kaiser_Mobius

General
3 Badges
May 21, 2007
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • 500k Club
Prologue:

Canada entered the great war as a dominion the british Empire, allied with the rest of the entente nations, fighting for king and empire. After 4 years of brutal warfare, including battles such as Vimy Ridge, Ypres, Passchendale, and the 100 days offensive, Canada ended the war as a nation, who's troops became the most feared by the German army on the western front. After the war, Canada enjoyed a period of prosperity during the 1920's which came to a screeching halt with the coming of the Great depression in 1929. The depression hit Canada hard, with the loss of thousands of jobs, wealth, and industry.

Canada1936.png

Canada in 1936 finds itself in an ever dangerous world. Germany has come under control of Adolf Hitler, a madman with plans to subjugate the peoples of europe and the world under the Nazi jackboot. To the south of Germany, Italy, under the rule of the barking dictator Benito Mussolini has started on a path to "rebuild the roman empire.", beginning with the invasion of Ethiopia. To the west of Canada on the far side of the Pacific ocean, the Japanese are setting in motion plans to conquer the peoples of China and southeast Asia to fuel their imperialistic ambitions and their thirst for resources.

Like the years leading up to the great war, it is only a matter of time before the powder keg is lit and war erupts again. However, just as it did in 1914, Canada will rise up to the challenge, and defeat the forces of tyranny and fear that threaten to destroy the lives of people all across the globe.

Settings:
HOI2DD v 1.3
AI settings: Easy/Aggressive
Mods:
GIP v 0.6
DMP sprites
Skiff and Kristoff Icons
CCIP
DAIM AI's for major nations except for Japan, China, and Italy.
My own modification: Conquered territories will give the conquerer 70% of their base IC instead of the default 20%.
Cheats: I will play with the nofog code on, since I like to see whats happening around the world and so I can look at the comparison tables at my leasure. Sometimes I will use acceptall to fix things like borders.

Anyway I think thats everything. Lets get this show on the road.

Last edited:
Canada's current government. The British Empire's representative in Canada is John Baron Tweedsmiur, who holds the office of Governor General. The Prime Minister and also foreign minister is William Lyon Mackenzie King of the Liberal Party. Heading the other positions are armaments minister Ian A. Mackenzie, Minister of security Thomas A. Crerar, Head of Intelligence General Henry Crerar, Military Chief of staff General Frederick M.W. Harvey, head of the Royal Canadian Army General Ernest Ashton, Chief of the Royal Canadian navy Admiral Percy Welles, and chief of the Royal Canadian Air Force George Croil. Canada is a member of the Commonwealth of nations and of the allied military alliance, headed by the British Empire and the French Republic, and whose members include Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and numerous other British allied states in asia and the middle east. Canada also has a guarantee of independence from the United States of America.
governmentofcanada.png

Canada begins research into new designs for warships and new methods of factory production.
tech.png

The Canadian government begins a program of economic revitalization to create jobs and to raise the amount of manufacturing in the country.
industrialisation-1.png

Being a member of the allies pays off very big in the early stages of the game, with our allies all across the globe passing on blueprints to help speed up our research and development programs.
frenchtechblueprints.png

aussietech.png

britishtech.png

Ethiopia's valiant struggle ends in defeat to the armies of Fascist Italy. The country is integrated into the colony of Italian East Africa along with Italian Somaliland and Eritrea. Despite pleas for assistance from the world community by Haile Saleisse, the world does nothing. "How could the world just stand by and watch?" Remarks Prime minister King.
ethiopiafalls.png

More technological blueprints are given to the Government of Canada by our allies. We even make a breakthrough in our research into new manufacturing methods.
morefrenchtech.png

morebrittech.png

newbreakthrough.png

The Kuomintang government led by Chiang Kai shek makes a diplomatic protest against the Japanese empire over Japan's reinforcing of its North China Army. At the same time, the Guangxi Clique warlords in southern China declare war on the KMT government, starting the China-Guangxi war.
troubleinchina.png

Civil war erupts in Spain as fascist groups led by Francisco Franco rebel against the leftist Spanish Government. Many nations send supplies, weapons, and volunteers to fight for their respective ideologies. Canada doesn't do anything to stop local leftists from joining the Mackenzie-Papineau Battalion, who goes to spain to fight for the Spanish government.
spanishcivilwarbegins.png

An anti war rally is held in the capital, calling for Canada to stay out of any future conflicts. "Don't they understand that evil triumphs when good people do nothing? One of these days all of this isolationist stuff is going to come back and bite us in the ass."
hippies.png

Our first round of Industrialization is complete with the completion of factories in Ontario and Quebec. As we get more factories, we begin to add more in our construction series, so that our industrial capacity will raise exponentially.
newfactories.png

Nice start!

What mod are you playing with?

Oh man you got the shaft with that peace event.

likk9922: Check the first post of this thread. I listed the mods that I am using.
germanpeon: Yeah I know. Luckily it didn't affect my production.

The China-Guangxi war ends after Chiang Kai shek offers the Guangxi warlords peace. They accept, however they lose control over most of their former territory.
peacefornow.png

Canadian counter intelligence forces working in conjunction with the RCMP track down 2 spies to an isolated farm house outside the city of Ottawa. The foreign agents open fire when the building is surrounded, and they are both killed after a short gunfight. Later, investigators would find papers and identification that shows that the 2 men were agents from the United States and Great Britain. When told of the incident, Prime Minister King reportedly throws a fit, yelling "I thought we were friends?! Don't they trust us or something?"
spiesamongus.png

The war in Spain turns into stalemate as forces of the Nationalist Spanish army hunker down in North West Spain, with the armies of the Spanish government unable to break the deadlock.
stalemateinspain.png

Our scientists make yet another breakthrough, this time while researching new designs for destroyers.
techbreakthrough.png

Japan invades China. The Chinese warlords, Mao Zedong, and Chiang Kai Shek put their differences aside for know to work together to combat the Japanese invasion. Canada's government condemns the Japanese invasion, along with most of the worlds other nations. However, Japan simply ignores them.
japaninvadeschina.png

Germany proposes an agreement to Japan and Italy to combat communist influence. Italy agrees with the Germans, but the Japanese refuse to sign such a pact. It appears that Japan wants to make its own road.
anticomminternpact-1.png

More factories come online. Our IC is increasing at a very good pace.
morefactories.png

With our new factories coming online, we expand the industrialization program. More factories are now being constructed in other parts of Ontario.
currentbuildque.png

Constitutional crisis. Extremists in the parliament demand that we begin clamping down on some of the fascist and communist parties and start preventing people from nations like Germany or Italy into the country. The prime minister decides reluctantly to let the bill pass.
constitutionalcrisis.png

Japan's march into china continues, and on the way the Japanese government decides to form a puppet nation to govern outer mongolia. The state of Mengkukuo is born.
japanesepuppet.png

Imperial Japanese army forces have landed along the Chinese east coast and are beginning to approach the Capital of Nanking.
chinafrontlines.png

When Nanking falls, hell erupts in the city. Japanese soldiers, drunk on liquor, victory, and propaganda, begin a campaign of murder and rape in the city. Thousands are believed to be killed. At the same time, the USS Panay, an American patrol ship in the Yangze river, is attacked by the Japanese army and airforce. These atrocities shock the people of Canada and of the world. Prime minister King orders that our industrialization must continue.
japaneseatrocities.png

The paranoia of Soviet Premier Josef Stalin knows no bounds. He begins executing officers of the soviet army on unfounded suspicions that they are out to get him. "Unthinkable," remarks the prime minister.
stalinsparanoia.png

Austria is coerced into joining the German empire. The Germans seem to be getting stronger everyday. The prime minister says to his advisors, "This will not be the last we hear of Hitler and his ambitions for conquest. The lack of any real reaction from the rest of the world will only encourage him more."
austriafalls.png

Secret Cabinet meeting, 24 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario
April 6th,1938

"Good evening Gentlemen." Said Prime minister King to his military chiefs of staff and his top cabinet ministers. "I have called you all here today to discuss the current global situation, and what we are going to do about it in the future. There is a war coming, and I want your input on what we should do to help fight it. First I want to hear of the state of our armed forces. General Harvey, I want to hear your report."

The general opened his briefcase and pulled out a folder with tables and reports. The general began to speak. "Good afternoon prime minister, and the members of the cabinet. Our current military forces are as follows."

"The royal Canadian army currenty consists of a 10,000 man division of infantry led by head of General and also head of intelligence Henry Crerar. They are currently in the process of being re-equipped with the latest designs of rifles, machine guns, mortars, and other weapons."

"The royal Canadian Navy consists of several flotillas of transport vessels and a flotilla of old A class destroyers, all currently based in Halifax harbor. We currently posses no Pacific fleet."

"The royal Canadian air force is almost non-existent. We have no real combat capable first line aircraft. We only have about a few dozen training craft and some transport planes for transporting people around in the arctic." (in game terms: I have NO air forces.)

"That is all prime minister." The General put his folders back into his briefcase.

"Thank you General." Said the PM. "Well gentlemen. I want to hear your suggestions of what the future military should look like. General Ashton, you will go first."

"Yes sir." The general said. "We have a few options to pursue for the future Canadian Army. We could build a primarily Infantry based force, backed up by smaller amounts of tanks, similar to the type of army that the French, the British, the Italians, and the Poles currently have. This army would be cheaper to build, but it would be slower, and frankly, old fashioned."

The general continued. "I have read the reports and books written by some of Germany's newest generals, people such as Erwin Rommel, Erich von Manstein, and Heinz Guderian. They have some interesting theories on the use of tanks, armored vehicles, and infantry using trucks and other vehicles to break through enemy lines and cause a lot of destruction. I propose that we build the Canadian army on this basis. With the new factories that we are building coming online, our industry should be more than able to build this kind of armored and mechanized force."

Next, the chief of the Navy, Admiral Percy Nelles began to speak.

"Prime minister, we have several options for the navy. We could build a large fleet of destroyers and submarines, it would be cheap, and very good for hunting German U boats in the atlantic ocean, however, they wouldn't stand a chance against any heavy fleets involving cruisers or battleships. We could go for an all cruiser fleet, giving us some real hitting power, but again, there is the problem of enemy battleships and battlecruisers, not to mention that such a force would be practically useless against the Japanese navy. Carriers would be great for battling the Japanese navy, but against german fleets we wouldn't be able to cause much damage. Therefore we propose that we build two different fleets. For the atlantic and european theater, we could build a powerful fleet of advanced cruisers and battleships, capable not only of going head to head with some of these battleships and cruisers that the Germans and Italians are building, but they would be able to provide great firesupport for any amphibious assault. For the pacific theatre, we could build a fleet of carriers, capable of engaging the Imperial Japanese Navy and damaging their ability to make war on the seas."

Finally, the chief of the airforce George Croil spoke.

"Prime minister King, I propose for the airforce a more multi role capability. We could build squadrons of fighters that could not only be able to gain air superiority but could also launch ground attack missions with bombs and machine guns. We could also build some air fleets of tactical bombers to support the army in its advance and be able to launch raids on enemy shipping in the open seas and in their ports. A multirole airforce could cause a lot of damage with very little cost. That is all sir."

"Thank you for your input gentlemen," Said the Prime minister. "I will take all of your suggestions very seriously. That is all for this meeting everyone. Good day."

Sounds like a good start. Best of luck.

Our research into new warship designs continues with the help of British advisors. (we are getting tech blueprints as we go up the tech tree, awesome.)
battleshipresearchcontinues.png

More factories.
evenmorefactories.png

With our economy growing we can afford to fund a 3rd research team.
3rdtechslot.png

The Sudetenland falls under the control of the German Empire. "If the allied powers had the balls to stop Hitler this was the time. I'm afraid nothing can stop him now." Remarks the PM.
munichagreement.png

Just a few months later in early 1939, the rest of the country collapses, and the Czechs come under the control of the German government. Slovakia also gains "independance" as a German Vassal.
czechsfall.png

After this development, the British offer an alliance to the Polish government. Poland agrees, and they join the allied powers. They are now an ally of Canada as well.
polandjoinstheallies-1.png

More industry is completed.
somemorefactories.png

Albania comes under Italian control.
albaniafalls.png

The status of the war in China. Japanese forces are facing stiff resistance further inland as wave after wave of Chinese forces throw themselves into the Japanese positions. The Chinese forces should be able to hold the Japanese army for a long while yet.
situationinasia.png

Japanese/Soviet tensions boil over when Soviet and Japanese troops engage each other at Khalkin Gol. The Japanese army is beaten back, and Japan signs a non-aggression pact with the Soviet Union.
battleofkhalkingol.png

More British technology.
somemorebrittech.png

The Spanish fascists surrender to the forces of the Republican government. The Spanish civil war is over. The members of the Mackenzie-Papineau battalion return to Canada victorious.
Francodefeated.png

With tensions rising in Europe, the German and Soviet ambassadors sign a non aggression pact with each other. "This is impossible! They hate each other! How could this be?" Says the prime minister. "Assemble an emergency meeting of the cabinet staff. The threat of war with the Soviet Union was the last thing holding Hitler back from war with Poland. I fear that war is inevitable now."
MRpact.png

The prime minister is sitting in his office when one of his aides runs into the office holding a piece of paper. "Sir!" says the aide in a shocked voice. "What is it boy? You look like you have seen a ghost." replies the PM. "Sir, this just in from our embassy in Warsaw. The Germans are bombing the city. There are reports that German troops have already crossed the border."

"My god." Says King in a quiet voice. "Assemble the cabinet for an emergency meeting in 30 minutes. Also," King pulls a letter from his desk. "Have this sent to the German embassy in the city. Tell them that it is our official declaration of war." "Right away sir." The aide says, them leaving the room.

The prime minister looks out the window. "God help us."
WAR-1.png

The German army quickly moves across the border. Polish border forces are being overrun by German tanks and infantry.
germansinpoland.png

Meanwhile an armed German merchant cruiser captures a British vessel called the automedon, containing vital intelligence about British interests and capabilities in south east Asia and the pacific. The German's pass the information on to the Japanese.
automedonincident.png

Despite a strong polish counterattack into East Prussia, (the polish army actually surrounded 60,000 german troops in Memel) The German army breaks through and is outside the city of Warsaw.
frontlinesonoctober3rd.png

Predictably, the city falls, and the rest of the country surrenders soon after.
warsawfalls-1.png

polandfalls-1.png

At the same time, the Soviet Union marches into Latvia with no resistance.
latviafalls.png

The allied forces take up positions along the maginot line, and decide not to advance into Germany itself. The newspaper has dubbed this period of inactivity by either power as the phony war.
phonywar.png

The Soviet Union decides to invade Finland. The Finns promise never to surrender.
winterwar-1.png

Just a note: The most important thing for me to see is replies. I love to read peoples comments, so I know that others are enjoying my AAR. Please comment. Thank you. :)

Subscribed, good luck.

Although I dispute the 'most feared' title. ANZACs were better and more dangerous - and in BOTH wars. There's a Rommel quote around; 'Give me two Australian divisions and I will conquer the whole world for you!'

I love flagwaving ^^

ah, WWII and the winter war have begun. :eek:

is japan's current advances into china farther then they were in real life?

Send troops, save France! :p