• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Some action in the Levant at last. Have you considered getting an advisor to help with infamy burn? I hope this update was played well in advance otherwise I'm going to feel awful about not fixing that Austria-Hungary-Bohemia bug in time.

I've quite often had advisors to reduce infamy, but they only reduce by 0.03 per advisor level per year, and my advisors have only been level 2 or 3 so there has not been a dramatic difference. I do wish that I'd entered Syria earlier, and I might have prevented the Jalayirids from taking the provinces they did.

well done with grabbing Malta, gives you a nice base in the Central Med region

you were doing well at dismantling the Genoese alliance but not the best of time for Selim to go and die on you

Yes, the Khalifahs do love to leave a war half way through it seems, but in this case the majority of the fighting was over, and at least a peace had been concluded with France. Malta is the type of province I usually always think is more trouble than it's worth, but with this game I seem to have made a habit of taking islands that I would normally be reluctant to.

Seyfettin I​

Seyfettin had been well schooled during his father’s long reign, and on his accession to the throne intended to pursue a pious rule. His 7, 8, 3 rating means week infamy burn, but he is a brilliant strategist which brings a boost for moral and land force. The war against Genoa is almost complete, and in June Seyfettin concludes a peace treaty to end his father’s war. Genoa give up their remaining Crimean provinces, and pay a small indemnity.

In November, our Government technology advances and we unlock the next national idea. We choose divine supremacy, which provides a boost to missionary chance. In April 1531, Seyfettin departs to undergo the Hajj, but his entourage are assailed as tthey pass through the territory controlled by Anazah. The state has been overrun by Christian and Muslim mercenaries, and Castille has been able to supply and reinforce their red sea armies through this state. Seyfettin’s guard fight off the assault, and he sets up base in our provinces on the Anazah border. By October, it has become clear that the state is unable to exercise effective control over their territory, and this is creating instability in our border provinces. Seyfettin attacks on the 15th. The conflict is short, and we take the provinces of Al Karak and Ghazza in early 1532.

1beginningofendoftimuri.jpg

After a decade of recovery, infamy has fallen to 24.0, and continues to fall slowly. In Asia, the Timurid Empire appears to be in trouble, with large swaths of the western European lands occupied and rebellions controlling significant areas of territory. This could be an opportunity for Ryazan and Novgorod, which would distract them for a while but ultimately lead to stronger powers on our borders. Georgia has vassalized the once mighty Blue Horde, and could also look to gain at the Timurids expense.

Seyfettin continues to focus the Empire’s energies on spreading the Muslim faith. Conversions have been made in Anatolia and Greece, although the Spanish have also made conversions in the Holy Land and Egypt. In 1545 however, news reaches of a new crusade against the Mamluks. Castille are attempting to expand their holdings again, and the Holy City of Mecca is threatened. A short war follows which demonstrates that the Mamluks are entirely unfit for their role as keeper of the two holy cities, and the crusaders capture Mecca in November 1545.

2jihadformecca.jpg

Seyfettin marshals new forces in the Levant, and takes personal command on an army. On the 13th April 1546, a Jihad is declared to recover Mecca. The Christian world, desperate to safeguard this gain, rally to Castille’s cause. Portugal, Aragon, Austria, Poland and Lithuania all join the war, and on the 8th May Georgia and Sweden declare a separate crusade against us.

Austria invade in large numbers, and we are defeated at the battle of Banat on the 25th May. On the 19th June, the Papal State, Great Britain, Corsica and Norway all declare a separate war against us, with the recovery of Italy being the objective. The Castillian’s rush to reinforce their positions on the Red sea, but our navy intercepts their invasion and sink 35 ships in a decisive battle off the coast of Sicily. On the 22nd July, the 18,000 strong Georgian army is routed after two short battles in the Crimea, effectively removing the threat in the eastern theatre.

Following the battle of Banat, the Austrian army is reinforced and joined by Polish allies. There are now some 93,000 men in our European provinces, focused in Rumania. On the 1st October, we score a decisive victory at Bihor where we defeat a combined 35,000, although they retreat towards other armies so we are unable to pursue. On the 13th November, we signed the first white peace with Sweden, who are heavily involved in conflicts with Norway and so have not participated in the war. There are a number of small battles with Poland and Austria, which are indecisive.

On the 20th November, Austria offers a white peace, as their war capacity is perilously low. We are fortunate they are distracted, as they still have significant numbers in the western theatre, and so we gladly accept. On the 24th December, we begin to gain the upper hand over Poland, but a reckless pursuit of retreating armies into Poland ends with one of our armies being routed, and another narrowly escaping the same fate due to the last minute arrival of reinforcements.

On the 31st December and the 1st January, we sign white peace treaties with Norway, Corsica and Lithuania, who have all been unable to play a substantial part in the conflict. Throughout 1547 our forces continue to capitalise on the isolation of Poland, and finally throw their occupying armies out of our lands by July. We start a siege on one of their provinces, and hope to gain a substantial tribute from the peace.

Aragon attempts to land in Italy, but their 8,000 army is defeated while our siege of the Pope’s provinces continues. By September, we have captured two Castilian provinces, and begin the advance down the Red Sea coast. However, on the 14th October, a combined British and Portuguese fleet defeats our navy off the coast of Siciliy. We do not lose many ships, but as the fleet retreats to port a new admiral is recruited to try and quickly re-establish our supremacy in the seas. This gap in our wooden wall allows the Papacy to land 6,000 men of Cyprus, and the British to land 12,000 on Rhodes.

31548warprogress.jpg

In April 1548, the Pope captures Famagusta on Cyprus, but a newly recruited force is able to retake the province through a quick assault, and defeat the Papal army. It takes several battles, but eventually the Christian soldiers surrender. The province of Split, held by the Pope following a revolt from Austria, is captured at the end of the month, while on the third of May Lika-Krbova is captured from Portugal, the former capital of Croatia. The final polish army is routed in September, and on the 12th October we sign a peace deal for 558 ducats, one of our largest ever tributes.

On the 10th November, the Papacy agree to our demands for peace and cede the province of Split, and finally on the 16th November our soldiers under Seyfettin reach the Castilian held city of Mecca.

4ourarmiesreachmakka.jpg

1549 starts well, with the Aragonese fleet of 77 ships being annihilated on the 19th January, leaving them unable to play any further part in the conflict. We continue to siege the Castilian and Sicilian provinces, and record a number of small victories over the Portuguese and British fleets. On the 12th February, with few transports remaining and their invasion of Rhodes defeated, the British accept a white peace.

5battleofstraitsofmessi.jpg

With the siege at Mecca proceeding, and the Crusader princes dropping out of the conflict one by one, it appears the Seyfettin is on the verge of a huge victory for the Empire. However, on the outskirts of Mecca, impatience gets the better of the Khalifah. Riding at the head of his soldiers, preparing for an assault, a lone Castilian bolt from a crossbow finds its mark. Seyfettin is mortally wounded, and dies on the 11th May 1549. His rule has done much to advance the Islamic faith throughout Christian lands, and modest gains were made in Europe, but he was to be cruelly denied the opportunity to be the first Ottoman ruler to complete the Hadj without leaving the territory of the Empire.

6mecca.gif

Mustafa I​

1deathofseyfettini.jpg

Mustafa inherited his father’s throne with Mecca still in Christian hands. Mustafa has trained hard during the years of warfare, and was an able soldier, although he had always been an awkward child. Ill at ease in social situations, the new Khalifah was not suited for a diplomatic or administrative career.

On the first of August, under guidance from his trusted advisors, Mustafa reforms the Empire. The new administrative monarchy rulers with significant assistance from a gathering of Nobles in Konstantiniyye in the Parliament established by Mustafa’s great grandfather, Süleyman back in 1498. With the arrangements in place to ensure the smooth running of the realm, despite Mustafa’s inability, the Khalifah begins preparations to depart and join the siege of Mecca. However, just before departure on the 10th August, Ryazan and Kiev declare war and invade our northern territories. Mustafa takes command of an army in the Crimea, and prepares to meet the Orthodox invaders.

The reforms, and quasi - abdication of administrative power by the Khalifah have not gone unnoticed however, and the stability of the realm has suffered, as has the legitimacy of the Osmali monarchy.

2legitimacyandstability.jpg

On the 5th September, we gain the province of Nabulus from Castille via event, and Mustafa meets the first army of Ryazan in battle, defeating them at Donetsk. On the 20th February 1550, the remaining armies of Kiev and Ryazan are routed, and we sign a white peace. On the 27th February another Castillian province defects in Arabia, and our forces finally capture the city of Mecca. Castille agrees to cede all the territory along the Middle East on the 19th March, and finally Mecca has returned to Muslim ownership.

3endofwarrecoveryofmecc.jpg

The Empire is once again at peace, and Mustafa returns to Kostantiniyye. The territory taken during the conflict requires a period of recovery, as our manpower reserves are depleted and infamy is approaching the limit. This is exacerbated by the fall in legitimacy, which lowers our infamy limit further. Mustafa, still struggling to cope with his administrative responsibilities, embarks on the Hadj. In doing so, he fulfils Seyfettin’s ambition and becomes the first Ottoman ruler to complete the journey without leaving the Empire. Mustafa declares himself the spiritual leader of all Muslims, a claim disputed by the Mamluk’s who still notionally control Medina, and the Jalayirids who rule a vast territory from Baghdad. Our stability falls further to 0 as Mustafa is declared insane, and our Parliament assumes all responsibilities for ruling the Empire

4khalifa.jpg

The Parliament undertakes to recover the stability of the realm, and continues the spread of the Islamic faith to the conquered territories. By April of 1557, Stability has recovered to +2, improving the cash flow enough to allow the construction of improved toll roads. An interesting advance is made as we are able to negotiate the purchase of a trading post in Goa from Vijayanagara for 500 ducats. This is a series of events in MEIOU which allow you to gradually buy influence, eventually gaining cores and the opportunity to buy a number of provinces in Asia and Africa. With Goa under our control, and a core as well, there are opportunities in the Indian Ocean and beyond.

5goav.jpg

The Blue Horde gain provinces at the expense of Ryazan, who have not recovered from their defeat by us in 1550, and now have a land border with us. We attack and begin a siege at Dniepr on the 15th November. On the 22nd November, Georgia, Sweden and Lithuania all declare war again. Our navy takes to the seas to prevent and Swedish participation in the land war, while the Georgian army is put to the sword in two decisive battles in the Crimea. Lithuania no longer share a land border with us due to the expansion of Kiev, and are unable to participate.
By June 1558, we have reached stability +3 and resume research, and Lithuania and Sweden offer white peace treaties which we accept. Our forces advance into the Georgian Caucasus, and we begin a siege of their capital in November. On the 3rd June 1560, the Two Sicilies declare war in another attempt to recover their Italian cores. This time, only the Swiss join their crusade however. Our forces in Italy outnumber the Two Siciles considerably, and rout most of their armies in the following weeks. On the 16th June we gain Dniepr from the Blue Horde by event, and as Ryazan have retaken a few provinces our conflict with the Horde ends.

The next few years see the progress of sieges in Italy and Georgia, and on the 17th June 1562 we sign a peace treaty with Georgia. They agree to pay 100 ducats and to cede three provinces in the Caucasus to us. This means we now divide their capital on the black sea from the rest of their territory, and will hopefully mean the collapse of this frequent thorn in our side.
On the 11th June, after two further years when much of the Two Sicilies falls to our armies, we conclude a peace treaty. They pay a huge indemnity of 550 ducats, surrender most of their territory and also revert to the Naples. Naples have agreed to renounce all claims on our territory, and accept us as their ally. However, they remain a Christian state, and we do not doubt that we will have cause for war with them again.

7aftergeorgianandsicili.jpg

Europe, the Near East and North Africa following peace with Georgia and the Two Sicilies.
Ethiopia have made considerable gains against the Mamluks, as have Castille. Great Britain has soundly defeated Fez, who is addition to ceding some coastal provinces have had to release states in Algeria and Tunis. They have begun to retake this land however. Austria has managed to survive much instability without losing territory, while Poland remains strong. Lithuania have lost ground to Ryazan and Kiev. The Jalayirids have formed a personal union with the Mamluks, and are fighting Vijayanagara for control of the Gulf States.

8condemnationoftheulema.jpg

On the 5th October 1568, the Ulema religious scholars criticise the course of the Empire. There are grave misgivings over an alliance with Christian Naples, and concerns over the increasing influence of the Jalayirids over Medina through their personal union with the Mamluks. This begins a religious scandal in the Empire, which reduces the number of missionaries available and therefore slows our conversions.
Our balance looks very healthy, largely due to the significant peace deals concluded recently, and development of improved roads continues throughout the Empire. Shipyards are also being built in our core provinces, as we are over our naval force limit.

The alliance with Naples quickly sours, and they sign treaties with Milan and Firenze. It is finally dissolved in July 1569, however we do not attack at this stage. In April 1570, our national focus is moved to Osijek in Croatia, and land reform begins in the region.

On the 12th June 1570, following a deterioration of his health, word reaches Kostantiniyye that Mustafa I has died in Mecca. His son, Bayezid, has grown up and been educated in Kostantiyye, and is ready to assume power in the Empire. The Parliament, permanently emboldened by the reforms of Mustafa, do not resist the accession of Bayezid.

9succession.jpg

Diplo 9 - all you really want in a monarch :)

Some nice progress there but your BB always seems a little too high for comfort.

Mustafa did pretty well at expanding the Empire, if he lives a while, Bayezid is going to be awesome ... but if he dies leaving you with high BB the consequences are going to be fun (well fun for your readers).

I do like the one post a ruler routine you seem to have settled into

With those stats Bayezid will be dead before the year is over.
Is that France to Milan's east? Is that Fez on Corsica? Any progress on getting some Red Sea cores so you can build a navy to project power into India and the rest of Asia?

Diplo 9 - all you really want in a monarch :)

Some nice progress there but your BB always seems a little too high for comfort.

Yeah, I've really been cutting it far too close to the limit for much of them game. Diplomacy has been pretty much non-existant since I annexed my vassals, so I'm hoping to get on top of it soon. I've also found myself unable to take advantage when I get a random CB, such as 'border tension'. This has all contributed to a lack of progress against the Muslim world.

Mustafa did pretty well at expanding the Empire, if he lives a while, Bayezid is going to be awesome ... but if he dies leaving you with high BB the consequences are going to be fun (well fun for your readers).

I do like the one post a ruler routine you seem to have settled into

Bayezid looks to be a great ruler, I'm hoping that most, if not all, future rulers will survive long enough for me to continue the format. Considering his fairly mediocre stats, I was pretty pleased with the progress made under Mustafa.

Just read through this AAR and I liked it alot, the Ottomans have always been fascinating for me and MEIOU did really help you in this AAR. Great works and keep it up!

Thanks very much, I'm glad you are enjoying it. You're absolutely right, the war dynamism events have helped me expand without costly and unrealistic overseas invasions, particularly early on against the Italian states who owned enclaves on my borders, and then laterally against the Mamluks. This has also reduced the incidince of AI nations taking seemingly random overseas provinces; I haven't seen any Castillian Europe for example.

With those stats Bayezid will be dead before the year is over.
Is that France to Milan's east? Is that Fez on Corsica? Any progress on getting some Red Sea cores so you can build a navy to project power into India and the rest of Asia?

That was my first thought as well, but thankfully Bayezid did successfully survive his first few years. Yeah, France took some land in Veneto, almost as if they wanted to check my progress there! It is indeed Fez on Corsica, they have made a habit of following in my wake and picking on defeated christains. As well as taking the north of Corsica from Genoa, they have taken Abruzzi from the Two Sicilies and a province in Crimea.

As for the Red Sea, there aren't any cores there yet unfortunately, but this is an area I'd certainly like to expand into once my position in Arabia and Egypt is more secure. I do have a core in Goa from event though, so I can recruit some small armies and navies in the Indian Ocean.

Thanks to all for reading and for the comments, I really enjoy reading everyone's feedback as I'm eager to improve the writing :)

Another nice update...

I don't know how colonization works in MEIOU, will you be able to/are you thinking to colonize/conquer East Africa shore?
Ottoman America! :D

Bayezid I

0bayezidi.jpg

Bayezid is a highly educated ruler, and has some brilliant stats. 6/6/9 is by far our best ruler for many years, and the 9 in diplomacy will mean far better infamy burn, at 1.19 per year. Bayezid's first action on taking the throne is to expand the shipyard building program begun by the Parliament during his father’s reign. We are 30 over our naval force limits still, and spending slightly more on our navy than our army, so hopefully this is an opportunity to save some money, as well as improving our infrastructure.

11571goodevents.jpg

The harmony between Bayezid and the Parliament is reflected in 1571, when two random events give us a boost to trade efficiency and to the conversion chance, although the use of missionaries has begun to slow. Merchants are becoming far more influential in the court and the Parliament, with trade rising above 20% of our income for the first time. In part this is due to the reduction in infamy, which has greatly hindered our trade efficiency for some time. Merchants have established monopolies in the trade in our three centres of trade in Kostantiniyye, Palermu and Dubrovnik, and are beginning to establish a foothold in India and Persia in centres of trade as well as in our trading post at Goa. This leads to Hindu teachings influencing the religious schools in the Empire, which boosts our research.

2religiousdecisions.jpg

Infamy finally drops below 20 in1572, for only the second time since the beginning of the game. The Empire begins to look for influence further afield, representing an increase in expansionism. On our borders, Austria continues to struggle. Since forming, the Archduchy has been in an almost constant state of instability. Initially large rebellions resisted rule from Vienna, then laterally there have been conflicts with Brandenburg, the HRE, Poland and France. France have extended their influence over much of what was Venice. Remarkably, Austria have managed to hold almost all their territory during this period, but on the 21st July we receive news that a civil war has broken out.

3austriancivilwar.jpg

In the event, this proves to be rather anti-climactic, as the Austrian army remains loyal and is able to quickly restore order. However, all this means that Austria has not once attacked us since its union with the Kingdoms of Bohemia and Hungary, and when it has joined a defensive alliance has sued for peace relatively quickly.

On the 1st July 1576 Bayezid fathers a son, and names him Yakub. The Empire at last has an heir. Yakub shows early signs of having inherited his father’s abilities.

4wefinallyhaveanheir.jpg

In September, Bayezid continues his reforms of the religious establishment by introducing the Din-i Illahi, which increases the cost of missionary activity but substantially decreases the cost of technological research. The Ulema do not challenge Bayezid over his reforms, wary of the widespread support the monarch enjoys, and also conscious of the fact that Bayezid shows no inclination to challenge them.

5religiouseventtechboos.jpg

During these years, the personal union between the Mamluks and the Jalayirids has ended, and the Mamluks have been under almost constant attack by the Europeans and Ethiopia. They are clearly no longer fit to defend Medina, and on the 22nd March 1577 Bayezid declares war. Turkish forces rush to occupy Medina and the remaining Mamluk holdings in Arabia, while another force invades Egypt proper.

Our forces quickly over run much of Egypt, although Castille are able to grab two more eastern provinces, and Ethiopia again gain in the south. As we hold the territory, we finally convert Adana, the last Orthodox province in Anatolia. There has been a missionary present for decades but due to the provinces Armenian culture the success rate has been low. This completes our mission to convert Anatolia, and reduces our infamy by 5. We now have just 9 infamy, despite attacking the Mamluks without a casus belli. Our next mission is to annex Medina, and fortunately the province is already close to defecting.

6missioncompleted.jpg

In July 1580 we gain Medina through event, which means we have succeeded the Mamluks at the Keeper of the Holy Cities, giving us a bonus 0.12 missionaries per year. We also gain the other two Mamluk holdings in Arabia, and Al Suways in Egypt. As the Christians make peace, our forces move in and begin to occupy the remaining Egyptian provinces. Beyezid instructs his generals to continue the fight until the Mamluks surrender. We gain a border with Nadj, a Horde nation in the heart of Arabia. Our forces, fresh from the capture of Medina, attack them immediately before the Jalayirids decide to expand their holdings.

In April 1581 Bayezid decides to continue his reforms of the Empire, but in a more radical direction. His spies have brought much news about the governing of the European states, and Bayezid is convinced their sophisticated administration is the key to their speedier technological progress. We undertake an extensive programme of reforms, designed to modernise our state along European lines. This shatters the working coalition between Bayezid, the Nobles, the Parliament and the Ulema, reducing our stability by 5. Fortunately, in June an advisor event fires giving us 2 stability.

7westernisation.jpg

During 1582, we concentrate on recovering stability. The nobles of the Empire are actively resisting the Westernisation, and we have a number of small revolts to deal with. In April, the people of the Empire express their dissatisfaction with the direction of Bayezids reforms, and the legitimacy of the regime falls by 30 points. However, we are able to annex Nadj after a short siege, and Mamluk provinces in Egypt defect to us. After the final defection on the 8th August 1583, we annex the Mamluks. This costs us 8 infamy, and we have now reached 21.2.

8mamluksannexed.jpg

Egypt is now divide between Castille and the Empire, but we are not stable enough to attempt to compete the conquest yet. Another event fires costing us 30 legitimacy in September, and we also lose 1 stability. The number of reactionary revolters are increasing, with revolt risk rising due to lower infamy and stability. However, the great city of Cairo is now part of our realm, Egypt’s second city after Alexandria. Bayezid intends to build a strong centre of Ottoman power here.

85ottomancairo.jpg

With an albeit uneasy peace in Egypt, and the internal instability under control, Bayezid undergoes the Hadj as his father and grandfather before him did. In February 1585, the resistance to the westernisation programme spreads, with the merchant factions in the Balkans questioning our course of action. This wipes out our monopoly at Dubrovnik, but Bayezid will not be swayed and refuses the smallest concession or slowing of reform. In February of 1586, we again lose 30 legitimacy. We now have only 16, with an annual increase of 8.

1587 is a year of widespread revolt in the Empire, with at one point 7 sieges underway at once. No rebels are successful however and the army maintains control, but the Empire is in no state to consider further expansion at this time. Our stability has begun to recover, meaning we are again making a sizeable annual profit, and we restart the construction of docks and shipyards, as well as extending paves roads to new territory.

9commercialbankandsecon.jpg

In 1590 Bayezid establishes a Commercial Bank, which provides cheap loans for merchants. Utilising the developed Turkish road network, Merchants are able to access finance across the Empire and even beyond our borders, as the Bank is backed by the state and the Empire has no loans, and has never been declared bankrupt. This boosts our trade efficiency by a huge 10%. Reformers have also begun to call for an overhaul of the military along European standards. Already, we use European designed cannon, but Bayezid is unwilling to take on the Janissary establishment at this time.

10questforthenewworld.jpg

At the start of 1591, we are able to choose our next national idea. The merchant factions are clamouring for expeditions beyond our borders, and for access to the lucrative Far East trade. Bayezid bows to the pressure, and we choose Quest for the New World as our next idea. An event fires giving us a choice in how we classify exploration and colonisation, should it be a state venture or open to private investors? Bayezid, again bowing to pressure from the merchant faction, opens this industry up to private ventures. There is, however, as yet no rush to take up this opportunity.

11firstcolonies.jpg

Instead, at the end of 1591 the first state colonists are sent to establish bases on the West coast of the Red Sea, and on the Gulf of Aden. The Red Sea colonies will strengthen our position in Egypt, and bar any Castilian expansion, while the Aden colony will serve the same purpose in the Jalayirids dominated Persian Gulf, as well as providing a naval base on the voyage to India.

Construction begins on the first post office in Kostantiniyye, which we hope will grow into a wide ranging global network one day. However, despite gaining the backing of the merchant factions through support for trade and exploration, there is still popular discontentment with the reforms of Bayezid, and in early 1592 our legitimacy drops to 0.

On the 22nd November, we use the nationalism CB to attack Naxos, who are supported by Georgia and Novgorod. Our fleet blocks any intervention from the Russians, while our armies take care of Georgia's in a few short battles. A siege is started on the Cyclad Islands.

In December 1593 our legitimacy again drops to zero. However, in July ’94 we capture the Cyclad Islands and annex the last independent state in the Aegean, bringing an end to the war. In December an event fires which yet again drops our legitimacy to zero.

On the 13th April 1596, after two years of recovery we declare a Holy War against Naples; Aragon, Milan and Portugal all join the conflict. Our fleet are sent to patrol the Straits between Italy and Tunisia again, and we destroy Aragon fleet and force them to accept a white peace in October, while the following month two Portuguese fleets are sunk and they too agree a white peace.

12ottomonwoodenwall.jpg

On the 16th April 1598, we are ready to attack Castille for control of Egypt. Castille are at this time in a war against Austria and France, and are losing, so they are unlikely to pose much of a threat. Much of their once strong garrison has withdrawn from Egypt. They are supported by Lithuania and Sweden. Bayezid has built up 33,000 men in Egypt, and once the token 5,000 Castilian’s are defeated these forces fan out and start sieges in all provinces. Our fleet will prevent any reinforcements arriving, so there is no need to worry about dividing our forces.

13jihadforegypt.jpg

On the 4th October ’99 we capture and annex Naples, finally consolidating our rule over southern Italy. With this done, we agree a white peace with the alliance leader Mallorca, and can focus on our campaign for Egypt. By the end of November, all Castille transports have been sunk, but unfortunately they managed to twice slip through and have landed armies on Krete and Rhodes. There are 24,000 invaders on Rhodes and 17,000 on Krete, making neither province easy to relieve. We attack Rhodes with 20,000 while the Castilian morale is low, but our army is unsuccessful and retreats to the fleet. A breech has been opened in the fort on Krete, so Bayezid leads his force instead to Candia. We land just after Krete falls, and Castille march towards Candia but do not arrive quickly enough to prevent our landing. Over the course of three battles we defeat the smaller of the Castilian invasions, and Krete is retaken by a quick assault.

14navalinvasions.jpg

On the 4th January 1600 the Papal State, Ryazan and Ethiopia all declare a Holy War against us. By this point, some Castilian provinces in Egypt have defected, but we do not have enough men to resist the Ethiopians for long. Ryazan pour into Dniepr with 34,000 men, but we have two armies of 15,000 close by who are far better trained and led. In Italy, we have two armies of 16,000 and a garrison of 13,000 on Sicily that can deal with the Papal state, we invade with 16,000 men initially and lay siege to Lazio. Bayezid leads his 20,000 men from Krete in a second attempt to relieve Rhodes, but we are again thrown back.

In Egypt, Ethiopia capture our unfinished colony at Meroe, just inland from the Red Sea ports, and capture it, before advancing to siege our fortresses on the coast. There are 26,000 in total. In July, we again fail in an attempt to relieve Rhodes, and Bayezid’s 20,000 men are reinforced with 5,000 fresh recruits on the mainland. Their assault also fails, and Castille capture the province and begin to recover their loses faster.

Our armies heavily defeat Ryazan and pursue them into their territory, but they offer a white peace which we accept. They were allied with Ethiopia, so this removes the threat to Egypt, although we have to accept the loss of our colony for the time being. By May 1602 we have gained most of Egypt by event, and in the Papal States we have defeated their armies and have laid siege to Rome. We recruit an additional 2,000 men, and finally we defeat the Castillians on Rhodes. By this point they have a very high war exhaustion, largely due to losses sustained against France, and on the 27th October they agree to surrender the Fortress on Rhodes, their final Egyptian province which has not defected, and to pay a large indemnity of 475 ducats. During this war our infamy has reached 12.4. Bayezid thus resolves to crush the Pope.

15afterthejihads.jpg

On the 11th February 1603, we attack Tuareg with the Horde CB, who own the province of Barqu in the west of Egypt. Work begins on our first naval equipment manufactory at Bolu.
On the 4th of June, after their total defeat, we capture the final provinces in Italy and annex the Pope. His 4 territories cost just 5 infamy as they attacked us with the Holy War CB. Around the Empire, there are a not insubstantial number of revolts, so we need to use our forces to regain control. However, his crushing of the Christians Pope brings some much needed domestic support to Bayezid, and the coming peace will hopefully allow the western reforms to become firmly rooted in Turkey. On the 23rd February 1605 the conflict with Tuareg ends, we take Banqu and 75 ducats in exchange for peace, and construction begins on a refinery.

16claimsagainstthejalay.jpg

Following the end of the war, Bayezid and his son Jakub discuss the Ottoman claims on Arabia and the Caucasus. It seems clear that a confrontation with the Jalayirids will have to take place at some point, and far better it be on Turkish terms. However, following the prolonged conflict with Castille, and with legitimacy still so low, some years of recovery are in order.

On the 19th October 1608, Bayezid dies an old man and is succeeded by Jakub. Remarkably, the last four Khalifahs have ruled since 1504, an average of 26 years each. Bayezid departs with a mixed record – internationally he has done much to improve the Turkish reputation, but this was more than cancelled by his conquest of Rome which has appalled the Christian world. Initially the Khalifah enjoyed a strong relationship with the various domestic factions, encouraging a huge increase in trade and an acceleration of the infrastructure construction programme, but this was also undone when Bayezid embraced the western reforms, and the later part of his reign was marked by instability and revolt. Nevertheless, Bayezid leaves an enlarged Empire to his son, having secured Egypt and the central part of Italy. Our Empire now threatened the borders of the Holy Roman Empire on two fronts, and the Christians seem incapable of assembling a coalition that can resist us. Castillian influence in the Holy Land has again been checked, although their continued presence points to another confrontation in the future. A final consequence f both Turkish strength and the westernisation is that relationsh with our Muslim neighbours are at all an time low, despite our promotion of the true faith in Europe. It regrettably seems inevitable that the Jalayirids will test their strength against us.

Another nice update...

I don't know how colonization works in MEIOU, will you be able to/are you thinking to colonize/conquer East Africa shore?

Now that I've taken Quest for the New World, I'm able to get colonists just as easily as the Christian powers. There are a few problems with ambitious colonial goals however - the European's have made a start in colonising, and we don't have a particularly good, western core. I also haven't' build any large ships, although I think we have around 40 captured from various naval battles. However, colonies tend to become core's very quickly in MEIOU, due to having the same culture, and so hopefully those Red Sea ports will give me some cores in Egypt.

Ottoman America! :D

I'll see what I can do, although the Indian Ocean appears the most promising avenue for expansion just now.

Thanks for reading!

Awesome update, loads done. Excellent :)

great stuff, well written and put together.

pity that Austrian civil war was such a damp squib as that was a chance for them to weaken themselves. Still you did well to grab all that land from the Mamluks and generally strengthen your positions, pity the Jellybabies haven't got the message that you are now THE serious power in the region.

Interesting stand off with Castille, does look as if you are going to come down to a struggle with them for supremacy in the Mediterranean. Also seems you rode out the westernisation events without too much trouble.

Awesome update, loads done. Excellent :)

Thanks for the feedback - I was lucky that Bayezid lasted as long as he did, very decent reign!

great stuff, well written and put together.

pity that Austrian civil war was such a damp squib as that was a chance for them to weaken themselves. Still you did well to grab all that land from the Mamluks and generally strengthen your positions, pity the Jellybabies haven't got the message that you are now THE serious power in the region.

Interesting stand off with Castille, does look as if you are going to come down to a struggle with them for supremacy in the Mediterranean. Also seems you rode out the westernisation events without too much trouble.

Yeah, once I accepted my legitimacy wasn't going to rise above 0 for long its wasn't too tough. There were the occasional revolts, and my monopolies have been wiped out every now and again but it wasn't too hard going. It did halt my plans for a war against Castille for a few years, but that also allowed me to reduce infamy so it wasn't a disaster. I was hoping to see Austria wrecked a little more, they really have held up remarkably well so far, but at least I haven't had to worry about that front for quite some time.

Thanks again for the comments everyone.

Jakub I​

0portofkostantiniyye.jpg

Jakub inherits has fathers throne in strange circumstances by Ottoman standards – there isn't an ongoing war to deal with! During the domestic turmoil that followed Bayezid's decision to westernise the Empire, Jakub lobbied for his father in Kostantinyye, building an alliance to back the modernisation. He has grown up in the cut and thrust of the capitals politics, and has a wide network of associates among the factions. Jakub's legitimacy is not in question, and he enjoys broad support. However, he had concerns over the partial modernisation, and was ashamed of his father's reluctance to challenge the Janissary’s over further reform of the armed forces.

Within the military, the naval officers are broadly in favour of further reform. Western ships have been refitted and reused by the Empire since the first naval 1300s. Jakub begins to build support for further reform among this group and the merchants by funding the construction of a grand shipyard at Kostantiniyye. This lobbying continued in earnest; merchants were promised access to exotic trade centres, the nobles were offered infrastructure developments in their cities, and the Ulema were offered an intensification of the missionary activity across the empire

1militarymodernisation.jpg

Finally, on the 11th June 1610 Jakub has secured broad support for reform of the military. The janissarys protest, but soon see the the Khalifah has assembled a formidable coalition for reform. Over the coming months the Ottoman army undergoes a radical overhaul, first adopting European cavalry in June, and the following April adopting European infantry. This has cost the Empire three stability, not insignificant but not as damaging as the administrative reform passed by Bayezid. Jakub also orders the recruitment of a new grand army to reside in Kostantiniyyee. This force will not be placed on patrol, but will rather be available for deployment to any front that it should be required on. There was an ulterior motive for this recruitment; the new soldiers are strongly loyal and so are being positioned in the capital to resist any attempts by the Jannisary's to re-establish their power.

As we begin to recover stability, two ongoing conversions have a negative chance of success. Despite the promises made to the Ulema, these are cancelled for the time being. Jakub also recruits new men to increase the size of our European armies, as well as those in Anatolia. Tensions now begin to intensify across our border with the Jalayirids. Our embracing of European styles has been met with bitter resentment throughout the Islamic world. Jakub instructs the governors of the border provinces to step up their patrols, and it is a matter of time before tempers flare. In earl 1613, a Turkish patrol are ambushed and killed, and disputes arise over the precise location of the border. On the 5th June, Jakub takes command of his 35,000 army and marches east. A declaration of war is delivered to Baghdad; it is time to nullify the threat of the Jalayirids.

2jalayiridsborderwar.jpg

Our colony in Aden is defended by only 3,000 men, who are regrettably massacred by the 22,000 attackers. The province falls quickly to an assault, as its fortifications are entirely undeveloped. There are presently three other armies on our territory, 21,000 in the Caucasus, 20,000 in eastern Anatolia and 22,000 in Syria. Our Syrian garrison of 13,000 is defeated and surrenders to the Jalayirids, who despite a technological disadvantage are proving to be no push overs.

In the northern sphere, we have 20,000 men who fight several battles with the invaders, finally gaining a decisive advantage. We move to siege the former Georgian provinces early in 1614, with the war effectively over. Jakub leads his army into Syria, where the invaders are put to the sword in two short battles. Our 35,000 then fan out and begin sieges in the Jalay controlled Syria, while a fresh army is recruited to replace the old garrison. In the far south, the 22,000 attack our 13,000 who defend the Holy Cities. Although we lose battles, attrition is wearing down the invaders, who continually retreat rather than press their advantage.

25jalayiridart.jpg

A similar fate is met by the invaders in Anatolia, who suffer some attritions and are then defeated by the superior numbers of out two eastern garrison forces. We fan out and begin sieges across the Kars region. As cities begin to fall to our forces, cultural items are looted and sent to Kostantiniyye. The Jalayirids have been heavily influenced by the nomadic tribes to the north, and particularly by the Persian and Indian states. This fusion of cultures has created many unique works of art. A particularly beautiful tapestry is captured during the sacking of Karbala, and is sent to the palace.

25medievalbaghdad.jpg

Our forces continue to make progress, while Sultan Ahmad II of the Jalayirids frantically attempts to rally his forces. On the 20th March 1615 we meet his personal army in battle at Najaf, where he is heavily defeated. The Jalayirids now have less than 10,000 men to resist us, and these are hastily recruited. Our forces continue the advance, and in April we begin a siege of the Jalay capital, Baghdad.

Baghdad is a city not unknown in to the Empire; for decades out merchants have frequented its bustling markets, and enjoyed a vibrant trade in the peppers and spices of the East. The city has grown strong as the Jalayirids expand, and indeed has not faced a siege in many years.

3progressinwar.jpg

Prestige and History are however no match for 30,000 Ottoman warriors, and the great city soon falls to our men. Accepting the inevitable, Sultan Ahmad II agrees to peace negotiations, and an armistice is signed. The Jalayirids cede the provinces of Kars and Tao-Klarjeti in Anatolia, while three provinces that were taken from the Mamluks in Syria are now returned to us, the rightful claimants of the Mamluk succession. A small indemnity is also paid, mostly to delay the inevitable rebuilding of Jalay armies. This has been an expensive peace, as the international community do not recognise our claim on the provinces in Syria. Our infamy now stands at 21.5, falling by 0.96 a year. Jakub departs Baghdad, but the city has made a lasting impression on many in the Turkish ranks.

4peace.jpg

Following the conclusion of the war, we gain a new trade post through event after negotiating the purchase of the city of Puttala on Ceylon. The rest of the Island is owned by the Gupta Empire, who control a large swath of territory across southern and central India. Our merchants are eager to take advantage of this new acquisition, but unfortunatly a nationalist rebellions rages across Ceylon, who have long resisted their occupation by Gupta. Our city is under siege, and the transfer in ownership will do little to deter these rebls. In 1616 a small garrison is prepared to travel and sets sail from our ports on the Red Sea, to relieve the our holding on the island. Gupta meanwhile has landed with a large army in the north to counter the insurgency, but it seems unlikely that they will lift the siege in Puttala.

5tradepostonsrilanka.jpg

Our forces are successful, and merchant move in droves to take advantage of new centres of commerce. Puttala is also an Ottoman core, meaning this is a second base in India where we can recruit armies and build ships. Our merchants are attracted ever further ewast however, the the famous Spice Isles. The European's have already taken many colonies here, and are diverting a substantial amount of trade by ship round the horn of Africa and into Europe via Spain. Our network of ports allow Ottoman merchants to via for this trade, but we are not proving successful in our effects.

South of the Spice Isles, there lies a recently discovered continent. Australia is rumoured to contain many riches far beyond what is found in our world, but here to the European's have established themselves. Genoa has build a large colony along the northern coast, while Sweden and Great Britain have bases in the west. Our core province in Ceylon means the unclaimed south is within range of our colonists, and a great numbers of ships leave Turkey in the following years. By 1622, we have established a strong of colonies across the south, and ships of immigrants continue to swell the number of residents.

6australia1622.jpg

As Turkish influence slowly spreads across the Indian ocean, there are also opportunities closer to home. Austria is being assailed from all angles; Castille, Poland, Bavaria and France are all attempting to take a chunk of the former Holy Roman Emperors land. A religious rebellion has also established a fledgling republic in Silesia, but their rejection of Catholicism means they are unlikely to last. This vulnerable Austria presents a tempting target, but geopolitics also pray on Jakub's mind. If Castille are able to establish another border with us, or if Poland or France can expand their holdings in Hungary and Venice, our territorial ambitions in Europe will suffer a setback. On the 24th March 1623 we declare war, and our European armies swarm over the border to capture the Austrian cities before the coalition can.

7weaknessofaustria.jpg

Jakub divides his forces into two groups, one to attack Austrian held Hungary from the East, while another will attempt to engage the main Austrian forces close to Veneto. The Austrians however have other plans, and an army attacks us in Pest as we begin the siege. Simultaneously, the main Austrian army is caught and Lienz. These two battles end in decisive victories for Jakub, as the Austrian attack is repelled after suffering 6,500 casualties, while in Lienz Jakub personally leads the Turks to victory. Adolf Freystadt, the Austrian commander, retreats with 22,500 survivors, but they are pursued to Koroska and put to the sword on the 28th December

8battlesoflienzandpest.jpg

Following these defeats, Austrian war exhaustion has risen to 12.82. They have only a few scattered freshly recruited armies, so we are able to siege. However, the Austrian's remain able to recruit throughout their vast territory, and Poland have sued for peace meaning Austria no longer face a two front war. While our forces are in clear ascendancy, Jakub is concerned that we will struggle to keep up with the smaller Austrian forces who are attempting to retake occupied provinces. Revolt risk is rising through Austria however, and so spies are sent north to encourage rebellions in Silesia, and in July two potential revolts succeed

9warprogress1625.jpg

On the 25th October, a new Austrian army is routed at Unter der Enns, and Jakub marches on Vienna. A siege begins, and we continue to encourage revolts in Silesia and across Bohemia. In the east, the Jalayirids are beginning to recover, with greater numbers being recruited to patrol the border and tensions rising again. Our previous occupation had not lasted long enough to shattered the state, and they have lost no further territory following the peace. Diplomats are sent to Kerman, a powerful Persian state on the Jalayirids eastern border, in a bid to improve out relations.

10fallofvienna.jpg

Across Austria, we have captured much of Slovakia and the south, while in the East Transylvania has been overrun. The sieges including that of Vienna continue through 1626, and finally on the 9th December Jakub's forces capture the Austrians capital. This sends shock waves through the Habsburg lands, with a rebellion capturing a province in Silesia, and fresh revolts breaking out in Bohemia and Slovakia. Our forces continue to capture cities in Hungary. Our main opposition now comes in the form of revolts in our occupied land. On the 3rd of February 1627, we negotiate a draconian peace treaty with Austria and Budapest. Austria are cut off from the Adriatic, and almost all of Austrian Hungary is ceded. We also empty their treasury, and learning from his previous mistakes Jakub does not cease hostilities until all the Austrian armies are defeated. We leave the country in a perilous situation, with revolts threatening to overrun much of the country, and separatists particularly active in the north. We now have a land border with the French in Venice.

11treatyofbudapest.jpg

With peace returning to the Empire, Jakub turns his hand to domestic reform. The Austrian ducats are spent of improving the road network, which will generate increased trade incomes as well as improving movement speed. Our missionaries are continuing to make conversions in the Balkans and in Italy. Forces in Europe are strengthened in case the French decide to attack across our new border. Meanwhile, relations with Fez have soured. Like the Jalayirids, they are unimpressed by the decision to westernise, and their control over Theodoro has long been contested. On the 21st February 1630, we attack. Fez have no men to resist us in the Crimea, and their fort rapidly falls to assault. Our navy clashes several time with their galleys, although a decisive victory eludes us. However, Fez refuse to surrender their port on the Black Sea, and so we blockade their ports in Tunisia. With their fleet pinned down in Tunis, we hope the blockade with force them to accept their losses, but they remain steadfast.

12battleofthegulfofgabe.jpg

In a bed to lure their fleet to battle, we begin patrolling the north African coast. They take the bait, and on the 28th December 1632 we finally sink their ships. Despite this loss, and Fez being incapable of recovering Theodoro, they still will not accept a treaty and formalise their loss. An army is recruited in 1633, and in June we land 20,000 men in Tunis. Jakub is preparing to lead a second 20,000 army, as we believe that Fez have in excess of 70,000 in North Africa, but on the 18th July 1633 Jakub dies before his expedition can leave Sicily.

13fleetintunis.jpg

Take all Australia!Kick the other nations out,IT'S A ORDER!!!!!

Was it deliberate to go from Australia to Austria without another topic in between. It took a few moments to realise that we weren't Down Under any more. Nice to see that you not only reached the gates of Vienna but breached them too. Do you expect it to be a recurring event? Any plans to grab the rest of Australia from the Europeans? If the HRE is divided do you plan on pushing up through Italy to link up with the rest of the empire?

Wacky. Kudos, sir. I haven't seen a good Ottoman AAR in a long time.