• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 3

Chapter 3
Gyulyafehér, Hungary
Eve of the Feast of All Saints, 1067 AD

Zila's horse was getting nervous as the sky grew darker; though it was only noon, thick, ominous clouds made it as dark as twilight already on the road alongside the Maros river. Zila understood the horse's anxiety over the rapidly worsening weather, and had his own reasons for wanting to reach his father's house in Gyulyafehér as quickly as possible. However, he prevented it from going any faster than a trot. They had come a long way in the past two weeks, and he didn't want the dapple-grey gelding, his favorite horse, to founder a mere three miles from home.

They rounded the last bend of the gorge that hid the town from the view of the lower valley, and caught the familiar sight of the black tower looming over the town below like some great stone vulture waiting for a meal. Though he had lived in Fehér for nearly a year, Zila had never been entirely at ease there, and the tower had a great deal to do with it. There were mysteries about the tower that demanded explanations, and unlike the villagers, he was not content to simply let them remain mysteries.

However, the one man who seemed to know the most about the tower was the least likely to talk about it. Father Lázárus was quite loquacious on a myriad of other subjects, from theology to history to chess, but whenever the tower was brought up, he would not comment except to warn everyone to stay away from it. Zila thought that the old priest might actually be the one responsible for planting the idea of the tower's haunting into the heads of the villagers, though to what purpose, he could not imagine.

There were other things about the priest that were also mysterious. For a man who claimed to be a simple country priest, who had seldom left the village (a fact Zila verified by asking several other village elders, who all confirmed it), he had an astonishing range of knowledge. He claimed to speak, or at least to read, nine languages, and could quote obscure theological texts from memory. He knew all about the history of the village, and could tell stories of events that happened centuries prior with a level of detail one might expect from an eyewitness. And he was unbeatable at chess, a true master, despite the fact that nobody else in the village had played chess prior to the arrival of the Ákos family. How had he gained such skill without opponents to practice against? It defied logic, but there it was.

Zila had gone so far as to wildly speculate that the man was some kind of deathless Methuselah, who had lived through many ages. But some of the older villagers had known him as a child or as a young man, so that was clearly not the case. After he'd thought it through, Zila had been glad that he hadn't voiced that incredible theory out loud to anyone.

But still, the man was a mystery. The tower was a mystery. Zila sensed that the two were linked; solve one puzzle, and he'd solve the other.

These thoughts occupied him for the time it took him to reach the great stone-and-timber house of the Ákos family. He saw to his horse, and then, chilled to the bone, he headed for the main hall.

As he had hoped, the hall was warm and brightly lit, with the smell of dinner cooking. A small knot of women was gathered around one of the great fireplaces, sitting in chairs and talking quietly.

His wife, Anna, rose awkwardly to greet him. She was heavy with the couple's first child, and so moved slowly, with her hands on her back. Zila smiled and hugged her warmly. Though the marriage had involved politics and diplomacy as much as it had any affection between the two, Zila Ákos and Anna Ják had come to love each other very quickly. They were well-suited to one another.

"How is the baby?" he asked.

"Kicking up a storm," she told him.

"That's good, isn't it?" Zila asked, with all the concern a first-time father could display.

"Of course!" Anna answered, giggling. "Now be quiet, or you'll wake your new baby brother."

"Yes, I'm anxious to meet the little fellow," he said, smiling broadly. "Half a dozen farmers in the lower valley hailed me with the news as I passed." He turned and knelt beside his mother, who was holding a small, swaddled bundle in her lap.

"Quietly," Jolán whispered. "He's sleeping."

"Hello there, little man," Zila said softly. "Looks like you beat your nephew, or maybe niece, into the world by a few weeks. He was born when?"

"Three nights ago," Jolán told him. "We've named him 'Attila'."

Zila smiled. "I hope he's less of a terror to the realm than his namesake was." He stood back up, and looked around the hall. "Where is father?"

"In his study, with Father Lázárus, getting beaten at chess again," Anna said, giggling again.

"Quite handily, too," a voice said from the doorway. Máté Ákos strode into the room, with Lázárus Cornelius close behind. "Forty-seven moves. And then he had the gall to turn down the appointment to the bishopric that I offered him."

That caught everyone by surprise. "You offered him a bishopric?" Zila asked.

"He turned it down?" Jolán asked nearly simultaneously.

Father Lázárus raised his hands and said, "It was quite kind of Count Máté to offer me the position. But I am not the man for the job. As I have told you all before, I am just a simple country priest, and have no higher ambition than to serve God and tend to my tiny flock. I am not an administrator or a politician. So I must, respectfully, decline."

Zila shook his head, surprised, but his father spoke before he could voice his thoughts. "How went your mission to Temes?" he asked.

"Badly," Zila answered. "Imre was entirely agreeable to the match, but Count Elek flatly refused to sanction it. I'm sorry, Sugárka, I really am," he said to his sister, who had been sitting wordlessly by the fire the whole time. "I tried."

Sugárka nodded slowly, with a blank expression on her face. "I know you did, Zila," she said, voice barely above a whisper. "It's not your fault."

"We'll find you a husband, girl, never fear," Máté reassured her.

"No, you won't," she whispered back, tears beginning to fill her eyes. "You'll never find me a husband, and I'll never be married, and I'll never have babies, because we live in a tiny house in a tiny village in a county on the edge of nowhere and nobody even knows I'm here!" She burst into a fit of sobbing.

"Sugárka..." Máté began, concerned. This was completely unlike his daughter, who normally was the most even-tempered young woman imaginable.

But before he could continue, she cut him off, screaming "I hate this place! My sister got to marry a count, because she was in the capital at the royal court where people could see her! My brother got to marry the daughter of a duke, because he could go out looking for her! But nobody ever comes here, and I never go anywhere, and nobody's ever going to meet me! It's this because of this accursed place, and I hate it!"

With that, she abruptly stood and ran from the hall, sobbing.

Máté merely stood by the fire and stared at his boots. He said nothing, but everyone could see what he was thinking. Even as a nobleman, Máté was not rich or well-connected, and his two elder children had been incredibly lucky to make the matches that they had. Sugárka's prospects were indeed poor, though it was likely they would eventually find a young knight somewhere who would take her as a wife.

But when they heard the front doors of the house open, and then slam shut, Máté's head snapped up in alarm. "It's about to storm out there," he said. "She shouldn't be out there alone."

Without another word, Máté, Zila and Lázárus strode for the door, grabbed their cloaks, and headed out into the rapidly darkening night to find the girl before she did something foolish.

Sugárka ran blindly through the streets of the village, and then beyond its outermost buildings, not knowing or caring where she was headed. She was a healthy young woman, and so was able to run very far before she finally lost her breath and had to stop.

She was suddenly aware of what she had done. In her fit of unreasoning, hopeless depression, she had run up the trail to the ruins of old Roman fortress, and was now standing by the black tower. On the southeast corner of the small hilltop, where the tower stood, the hill was a sheer cliff dropping to rocks a hundred feet below.

She stood on the top of the crag, thoughts whirling through her head, as the clouds sank lower and enveloped her in dense mist. She had an idea. What if she climbed to the top of the tower, and then jumped to the rocks below?

Images of her future as an unwanted old maid passed through her mind. Anything would be better than that. Even an early death would be preferable.

"Well, why not?" she asked aloud, sobbing softly. There was really no reason not to do it.

"Why not?" she asked again. She walked unsteadily through the thickening fog towards the tower. She found the door, which was still as her father had left it a year before, pushed open halfway. She ducked under the low stone lintel, and found herself in the pitch-black interior of the tower.

She froze, unable to see anything. She had heard that there were stairways leading upwards, but in the inky darkness, she could not find them. There was no sound but the moaning of the wind outside and her own breathing.

A sudden draft of frigid air swept over her, and she shivered. Her fit of depression had left her as abruptly as it had swept over her, and now all she wanted was to find the way out of the tower and back home. But she had somehow gotten turned around in the darkness, and could not see the doorway. Without any light, she was trapped.

But then she saw a small glimmer of dim light from a few yards away. Two lights, in fact, small and reddish. She moved towards them, trying to see what they might be and hoping they could show her the way out.

Then she saw that they were not lights at all. They were eyes. Red eyes, filled with a fiery gleam, and staring directly at her.

She screamed, and turned and ran from them. She collided painfully with a stone wall, turned and ran in another direction, tripped over something unseen on the floor and fell headlong to the cold stone floor.

Later she could not remember getting up from the fall, and had no idea how she found the door. But she must have, because when Father Lázárus found her, she was outside the tower, running at top speed down the path from the old fortress. Her dress was torn and filthy, her face and hands were bloody where she had skinned them, and she was alternately sobbing and screaming "Red eyes! Red eyes!"

Lázárus wrapped her in his cloak and led the hysterical girl through the fog back to her home. When Sugárka woke the next morning, she remembered nothing. But the red eyes would return and haunt her dreams for years to come.

eyes-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Again, thanks to everyone who's reading this. I tried to update my other AAR tonight, and got about half of it done, but it was a bitter struggle. Finally I decided to put that one aside for the evening and do an update for this one instead, and the words just flew onto the screen. Maybe I'll get the other one done tomorrow. But what the hell, if all of you are enjoying reading this half as much as I'm enjoying writing this, I don't think anyone will mind.

I was playing this game in CK last night, and thanks to some AI actions, things took an unexpected turn. (Thank you very much, King Salamon the Artificial Idiot.) But it's a turn that I think will be good for the story in the long run.

But that's many game years and several updates in the future. There are Pechenegs and Byzantines to deal with first. And I'm teasing you horribly with these vague, misleading hints, so I'd better stop. ;)

Reactions:
Father Lazarus found her, eh? After that post I am very suspicious of this "simple country priest", I have to say.

Reactions:
Great update. I am sure the good count will find a suitable man for Sugarka (is this her real name in the game??), just have to scout around further. The tower is getting creepier..

Seeing those eyes would put me out of my wits, I believe.

I am also suspicious about the priest, and I currently have two theories: The first is that he is indeed longer-lived than most men, and that he is able to cause himself to look young so that he can avoid suspicion, and the second is that he is actually a demon or some sort of being that is involved with what goes on in the tower.

Remember, you got a lot of this update from the point of view of Zila, who is a suspicious sort of guy, and doesn't much like Lázárus besides. I will drop a few more hints about Lázárus into the next few updates, so stay tuned.

And yes, her name really is Sugárka. I'm not sure if she's based on a real person or not, but that's how CK names her. And I don't think it gives anything away to tell you that sometime between this update and the next, she marries Bény Guthkeled, second son of the count of Bács. She then gives him five sons in as many years. Damn, but this family is fertile. :D

Reactions:
Well that's good news for the girl. I was thinking she might never fully recover. It seems too that the Tower is affecting everyone just a bit, perhaps as it has Lazarus. Maybe he is not the "simple priest" he claims. Excelllent work.

Maybe? Anyone who says "I am a simple *anything*" is usually not solely that anything, and certainly not simple. I'm thinking wise, mysterious, older-than-semblance-suggests, but good-hearted person devoted to keeping the evil sealed within the tower, but that's just me running through the story cliches. :p

Reactions:
Nothing like ye olde Transylvania for a bit of mystery and horror. Poor Sugárka... but red eyes... do long-dead barbarians walk the world again?

Hm, it's almost as much fun reading the speculation about the story as it is writing it. :D

Well, I'll give you a bit more to speculate with tonight. And then, if all goes as planned, in the update following this one, I'll clear up at least some of the mystery about Lázárus. I'm hoping to get to it tomorrow, but if I don't, it will probably get posted on Sunday.

Tonight's episode focuses on the adventures of Attila. Though I do wonder if an 11th-century Hungarian nobleman would really have named his son after a barbarian conqueror. It's possible; the Magyars were a peculiar lot.

Chapter 4

Chapter 4
Gyulyafehér, Hungary
Feast of Saint Veranus, 1069 AD

It had been happening every night for a week now. When Jolán went to put little Attila to bed, the boy would start screaming in terror as soon as she left the room. He could keep it up for hours, and would only stop if someone lit a candle in his room. He was loud enough to keep everyone else in the house awake as well. By the end of the week, tempers were starting to flare from lack of sleep. Máté and Jolán knew they had to do something, but they had no idea of how to cure their son's sudden terror of darkness.

Finally, Máté reached the point where he could tolerate it no longer. "He's going to have to learn that there is nothing to be afraid of," he said in frustration. "Tonight, we shut him in his room and let him deal with it."

And so they let him scream. He screamed and wailed the entire night through, and only fell into an exhausted sleep when dawn lightened the eastern horizon.

The next evening, Máté sat the boy down and tried to talk about it with him. He didn't expect to be able to reason with a boy who was not yet two years old, but he hoped at least to figure out what was making the boy so fearful.

"Attila, why are you so afraid?" he asked.

"The man," was Attila's answer.

"What man?"

"Red eyes," the boy explained.

Máté shook his head sadly. His daughter Sugárka had also had periodic screaming nightmares about a man with red eyes, after her misadventure in the tower. But he had thought he had heard the last of it when had sent Sugárka off to Bács to be married the previous spring. But now Attila was having the same nightmares. It was beyond belief.

After a week or so, Attila finally learned to sleep through the night. But he never completely lost his fear of the dark, and would never go into an unlit room. He always insisted that there were things in the darkness. Perhaps nobody could see them, but they were nonetheless there, waiting to catch the unwary.

Gyulyafehér, Hungary
Feast of Saint Cyprian, 1071 AD

All week, they had kept Bernát locked in his room. Attila had wanted to go see his best friend, who was also his nephew – Attila wasn't quite sure how that worked, but everyone told him that he was Bernát's uncle, even though he was only two weeks older. Like a lot of grownup things, it didn't make any sense.

But today was Bernát's birthday, and he was four years old now, just like Attila. But they wouldn't let him go into the room to see Bernát. They just said that Bernát was sick, and he needed quiet, and besides, it was dark in Bernát's room.

But when they sent for Father Lázárus, Attila knew that Bernát was going to die.

Attila's mother and father, and also Zila and Anna, who were Bernát's mother and father – another silly thing that made little sense to Attila – went into Bernát's room with the old priest. Attila went to listen at the door. He was very good at listening, and almost never got caught at it any more. It was the only way he could ever find out what was really going on. Most of the time, the grownups either told him he wouldn't understand, or lied to him.

"We have to keep it dark in here – he can't stand bright light," he heard Zila say. "And look at his arm – it was only in the sunlight for a moment, but it burned him terribly."

"Can he eat?" Father Lázárus asked.

"No," Anna said. "He says he's hungry, and I try to feed him, but he can't keep anything down. And he keeps trying to bite me."

"Has he broken your skin?" the priest demanded.

"No, but..."

"Good. Don't let him. Or you could get it too."

"Do you know what this is?" he heard his father ask.

"Yes," said the priest. "And I'm sorry. There's no cure. All we can do is make his passing comfortable. And pray."

Attila heard a sob through the door. It sounded like Anna – grownups weren't supposed to cry, but sometimes they did anyway. Then he heard his father say, "You'll say the rites for him, won't you?"

"Of course," Father Lázárus replied. "It's all I can do for him now."

They thanked the priest for coming, and Attila hid around a corner as they left the room.

But they left Bernát's door open a little, and so when they were gone, Attila went to take a peek inside. He saw Father Lázárus praying, and so kept quiet, because he knew it was important never to interrupt someone who was praying.

But when the priest was through, he said, "Come in, Attila." He hadn't looked around, but still he had known Attila was there. The boy wished that he knew how the old man did that. It was a neat trick.

Bernát was lying on his bed, and was very still. His face was pale, and even though the curtains were closed and only a single candle was lit, his eyes were tightly shut, as if even that was too much light.

"Is he dead?" Attila whispered.

"Not yet," Father Lázárus said. "But it won't be long, I'm afraid. You'd better say goodbye to him now."

"I was going to tell him Happy Birthday."

"I'm sorry, Attila. I truly am."

"The man with red eyes got him, didn't he?"

The old man didn't answer that. Father Lázárus was very good at not answering questions. Attila had learned a lot by watching him.

"He's going to get us all, isn't he?" Attila asked.

The old priest didn't answer that one either. He just gave Attila a long, sad look, and then said, "Come, Attila. We should go."

Bernát died that night. Attila didn't think it was fair that his friend had to die on his birthday.

grave-1a.jpg

Gyulyafehér, Hungary
Feast of Saint Apollonia, 1072 AD

Attila had found a place in the cellar behind the wine barrels where, if he sat quietly, he could hear everything that was said in his father's study above. It was a good place to listen to people talk about all kinds of things. Attila had overheard many secrets, and he liked secrets. It was good to know things he wasn't supposed to know, and even more fun when he didn't tell anyone else about them.

It was dark in his secret place, but he could take a small candle to reassure himself. Besides, he didn't think that the man with red eyes was going to come after him while the new bishop was in the house.

He had arrived the day before. His name was Imre, he came from Pressburg, and everyone was surprised by how young he was. But he was going to be the bishop, which meant that Father Lázárus was going to have to do what he said. Attila wondered how the old priest felt about that. Attila's father told everyone how happy he was that he would finally have somebody he could beat at chess. But Attila knew that wasn't the real reason the new bishop had come. He was an "exorcist", he'd heard his father say, and he had come to get rid of the man with red eyes.

Attila listened quietly while first his father, then Father Lázárus, and then his brother Zila told the bishop everything they knew about the man with red eyes. Imre listened, asking questions now and then, but mostly letting the other men talk.

Finally, when everyone else was finished, the bishop said, "On the face of it, it doesn't sound much like a case of possession. I'm not ruling out some kind of demonic influence or oppression, not yet. But simple possession, no."

"What do you think it is, then?" Attila's father asked.

"First of all, these stories about the man with red eyes – they have been told around here for a long time, as Father Lázárus said, and so your children very likely heard about this creature from some old woman trying to give them a good scare. When your daughter had what you call her 'fit of hysteria', she remembered those stories and created a fantasy out of them. I'm sure she believed she actually saw what she said she saw, but I think it could have been a simple hysterical illusion. Likewise, when your son became afraid of the dark, he started to imagine things in the dark, and he had the story of the man with red eyes."

"So you think this is all a case of hysteria and overactive imaginations?" Father Lázárus asked.

"Stories of demonic possession usually are," the bishop said. "An exorcist has to be very careful to separate the real cases from the imaginary ones. We've had far too many cases of ignorant country priests performing exorcisms on perfectly normal chickens and goats, so we need to be careful about how we approach this."

"What about my son?" Zila challenged. "He wasn't killed by hysteria."

"No," the bishop said. "That is a different case altogether. And I'm afraid Father Lázárus' diagnosis of this so-called 'white death' isn't the answer either. The disease does not match any known ailment, and is probably just a local superstition."

"What do you think it is, then?" Father Lázárus asked.

"Well, Zila has two other sons, plus a younger brother, so it seems unlikely that someone poisoned his son for political gain. So there is only one other possibility."

"Which is?" Zila demanded.

"I think," the bishop answered, "that this may be a case of witchcraft."

"Witchcraft!" Zila exclaimed.

"I believe so," the bishop said. "No unfortunate conjunction of planets or imbalance of humours could cause your son's symptoms. But a malign spell certainly could."

"If we start investigating a case of witchcraft," Father Lázárus said in a flat voice, "then every superstitious villager with a grudge is going to start making accusations against his neighbors. It will accomplish nothing except to turn everyone in the county against one another."

"True," the bishop said. "Which is why we need to be very careful about how we go about this. We must do so as quietly as possible for now. If word gets out of our purpose, our quarry will simply vanish into the hills and will never be found. What we have discussed here must remain a secret among the four of us for now."

"Fair enough," Attila's father said.

Attila heard a sudden thump above his head that sounded like his brother's boot heel hitting the floor. "Find this witch," Zila commanded. "If my son was killed by witchcraft, I will see the culprit burned."

Attila decided that this was a very good secret, one that he shouldn't tell anyone else about.

bishop-3.jpg

Reactions:
witchcraft... nah, I don't think so. It's the curse of the tower. Attila seems like a nice boy. Let's just hope he survive the man with the red eyes, whatever that is.

I was wondering if there was vampiricism and that it was catching, but then Bernát died, so I threw that out.

The bishop-excorcist is wrong, and I think he may have broken or bent the Sherlock Holmes rule of concluding without having seen the necessary evidence, but he seems otherwise intelligent enough to need to be killed by the evil of the tower.

I think the Bishop's an idiot. It's obviously posession, he's missed it because he's so young and naïve. So he's going to do something and get killed, while Lazarus is saying "I told you so!" and the whole village tears itself apart with Witchcraft accusations.

Ol' Reddy's going to have a field day.

Edit: I'm going to comb all these updates, I'm going to get to the bottom of this!

Last edited:
Damn this is confusing. I hope the next update doesn't blow my theory about Lazarus out of the water. :wacko:

The Gonzo said:
Damn this is confusing. I hope the next update doesn't blow my theory about Lazarus out of the water. :wacko:

Well, if I've managed to confuse you, then I've been successul in my goal. :D Seriously, half of the fun of writing horror is misleading the reader into thinking they know what's going on, and then twisting things around to totally confuse the issue. I've been strewing all kinds of misleading hints through the story. It's been fun.

I will clear up one thing, though. I had imagined the "white death" that killed Bernát as a sort of proto-vampirism. It's not the full-fledged vampire bug yet - Vlad the Impaler is still several centuries in the future, and unless I convert this thing to EU2 when I'm done, we aren't likely to run into him. The "white death" is an earlier, less completely evolved version of vampirism. The Forces of Evil (tm) still have it in the R&D department, and aren't ready to release it yet.

Bishop Imre is going to be a lot of fun. If any of you are Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans, think about what Wesley Windham-Price was like when he first showed up - all book-learning and no experience, thinking he knows more than the people who have real field experience, and more than a little pompous. That's Imre.

Attila is also turning into a far more central character than I originally intended. He's going to make somebody a great spymaster when he grows up.

More coming soon...

Reactions:
Chapter 5

Chapter 5
Gyulyafehér, Hungary
Feast of the Epiphany, 1073 AD

cavalry-1.jpg

It was very exciting to see all of the soldiers lined up in the market square, and even more exciting when the knights came out on their horses, dressed in armor and with colorful pennants tied to the ends of their spears. Attila saw his father riding at the head of the knights, and waved, but Father was busy and didn't wave back. They were all marching off to war, Attila had been told, which meant that they were going to go away and kill Pechenegs for a while. The boy didn't understand why they were doing this, or what the Pechenegs had done that was so bad that they needed to be killed. But it was all still very exciting.

Attila saw his father turn his horse around and face the crowd that had gathered in the square to watch their fathers, husbands, brothers and sons march off to war. "People of Fehér!" he shouted. "Our kingdom has been attacked by the unholy warriors of the pagan Pechenegs! We go now to fight for God and for Hungary!"

That all sounded very fine, and Attila cheered along with everyone else. "I swear to you, as your lord and protector, that we shall defeat these barbarians and drive them back to their own lands!" he continued. "I shall return your fathers, your husbands, your brothers, and your sons to you as soon as the realm is made safe!"

That brought another cheer from the crowd, and then Attila's father spoke again. "In my absence, my wife, Countess Jolán, will govern the county in my name. Please show her the same courtesy and obedience you would show to me. She shall have the wise and Godly counsel of our bishop, Imre Csanad, and your parish priest, Father Lázárus Cornelius." Everyone cheered again, but Attila didn't think the two men would be much help, because the bishop and the priest didn't like each other and were always arguing.

"If the Pechenegs should come here, do not try to fight them. Take refuge in the tower! It is strong, and will keep you safe despite its age. The Pechenegs will not be able to penetrate its walls. It will be your place of safety in time of need." The villagers did not cheer when Attila's father said this. Instead, they muttered softly among themselves. Attila himself was thinking over this new information; it had not occurred to him that the Pechenegs might come to his home and try to kill him.

"Keep us in your prayers until we return!" Attila's father commanded, and then he gave the signal for the men to start marching.

Attila waved at his father and Zila as they passed him on their horses, but they did not notice. Zila's friend Mihály, who was commanding the foot soldiers, did notice, and winked at Attila as he marched past.

In a few minutes, they had marched out of sight down the road. Attila wondered if any of them would ever come back to Gyulyafehér.

Tirgoviste, Pecheneg territory
Feast of Saint Nilammon, 1073 AD

For six months, the men of Fehér had been away from home. In the first three months, they had three times been in battle, each time defeating a much larger Pecheneg force while taking minimal losses themselves. Still, the original two hundred men who had marched with Count Máté from Gyulyafehér had been reduced by nearly a third. Disease had claimed more of them than the battles had.

And now the Pechenegs had taken refuge in a small, primitive hilltop fortress in Tirgoviste. If Máté's force had been larger, they might have stormed the walls and taken the fort easily. As it was, there were just enough men inside the fort to adequately defend it against a regiment as small as Máté's. So they had settled down for a siege instead.

Máté understood now why they used the Frankish word siege, which meant "sit", for this kind of warfare. It reminded him of a conversation he'd once had with a shepherd in the hills of Fehér. "You sit, you watch, you wait," the old man had said, describing the life of a shepherd. "And then, you sit, you watch, you wait." That was exactly what the men of Fehér had been doing for the last three months. They hoped to starve the Pechenegs out of their fortress by Christmas at the latest.

And then, one day in June, a much larger army, more than three thousand strong and flying the banner of the Duke of Slovakia, was seen marching towards the besieged fortress.

"So much for our glorious conquest," Zila said, with his mouth set in a surly frown. "Duke Géza is sure to take command when he arrives, and then take all of the credit for the victory."

Máté was more philosophical. "I'm not in this for the glory."

"Then how about for the land?" Zila retorted. "I wouldn't mind having a county of my own, you know."

"You will, Zila, you will."

Géza Árpád, Duke of Slovakia and cousin of King Salamon, turned out to be a short, rather portly man with curly dark brown hair only lightly touched with gray. He saluted Máté and Zila as he rode up to them. "Count Máté!" he hailed.

"Milord Duke," Máté replied politely, bowing his head to the higher-ranking nobleman.

"No time for pleasantries, Fehér," Géza said curtly. "You've done a fine job, but we'll take over here. You need to look to your own defenses."

"What do you mean?" Máté asked, alarmed.

"You need to get home as quickly as you can," Géza told him. "Székelyföld has fallen to the Pechenegs, and they're marching on Fehér as we speak."

Gyulyafehér, Hungary
Eve of the Nativity of Saint John the Baptist, 1073 AD

"Yes, I know you don't believe in the red-eyed man," Lázárus said patiently. "That's not the point. The point is that the people do, and they won't be happy about going into the tower."

"They will be much less happy if they are killed, or enslaved by the Pechenegs," Bishop Imre replied, with an equally patient tone. "Taking refuge in the hills is not an option. The Pechenegs will hunt them down like animals. Their horses are much faster than anything we have. The only chance the villagers have for survival is in that tower. You'll just have to talk them into it, and put an end to this superstitious nonsense."

Then Countess Jolán spoke up. "What if you did something to convince them it was safe?" she asked. "Maybe do an exorcism, drive out the evil spirits."

"I'm not convinced there are evil spirits," Imre said. "And it would be highly improper to do an exorcism unless I was absolutely sure, firstly, that there were demonic forces inhabiting that tower, and secondly, what the nature of those forces was. I cannot do it."

"A blessing, then," Jolán suggested. "Surely you could do that? You've blessed people's homes and children. Why not just make a great show of blessing the tower, with everyone watching? That might do the trick."

"Yes," Imre said, suddenly smiling. "That would do it, at that. Don't you agree, Lázárus?"

"Some of them aren't going to be convinced by anything," Lázárus objected.

"Enough obstructionism, Lázárus," Imre said sharply. "I'll perform the blessing in the morning, and we'll move the village inside tomorrow afternoon. The Pechenegs are still three days away at least, according to the scouts, so that should be enough time."

Lázárus' heart sank. He had known from the start it was a losing battle, but he had to try. The tower was definitely stirring. Having so many people inside it for weeks, if not months, would almost certainly disturb things. Lázárus didn't want to think of the consequences if that happened.

He left Count Máté's study in a somber mood. He knew what he had to do. It was time to get on with it.

As he rounded a corner, he noticed the count's younger son, Attila, watching him from a doorway. The boy was a clever one for his years, extraordinarily observant, and closed-mouthed to a fault. And yet, Father Lázárus liked the boy immensely.

"You're going to go fight the man with red eyes, aren't you?" Attila asked, voice scarcely louder than a whisper.

Lázárus sighed. The boy was far too observant for his own good. But he knew how to keep a secret. "Yes, Attila, I am," he said.

"Will you be coming back?"

The old priest shivered. "I don't know," he admitted.

Attila thought that over for a few seconds, and then asked, "How will we know if you win, then?"

"If you stop having dreams about the red-eyed man," Lázárus said quietly, "then I've won."

Attila nodded, but said nothing. He simply watched the old man intently as he made his way to the front door of the count's house.

So, to work, Lázárus decided. He went to his home and removed the old book from its carefully chosen hiding place. In all the years it had been in his possession, he was certain that nobody had ever seen it but him. Even his wife had never stumbled upon it, and if Sara hadn't found it, nobody could. Which was a good thing, considering its contents, and the young fool of a bishop's mania for witch-hunting.

He gathered a few other things he needed into a sack, and then made his way to the tower. He stopped at the door, which was still partly open – nobody had been able to get it closed, that night six and a half years before when Máté had forced it open, and it had remained stuck fast, half-open, since then. Lázárus tried to remember the last time he had been in the tower. How many years had it been? He didn't know. But he could not do what he needed to do from the outside, so he lit a small lantern, took a deep breath, muttered a prayer to God, and stepped inside.

It wasn't as he remembered it. The walls and stairways were still as they had been, naturally, and the trap door was still firmly shut, thanks be to God for that. But things were missing. He thought back to the first time he had been in this place, but his mind shied away from the memories.

Enough, he told himself. Get upstairs and do your job.

He climbed the steep stairways slowly, stopping at each floor to catch his breath – he was not a young man any more, and time had taken its toll. When he reached the top, he made his way to one particular doorway, and ducked through the absurdly low opening.

This chamber, he knew, was in the very center of the tower, on the topmost floor. The walls were the same black stone as the exterior. There were no furnishings. Against one wall lay a dried, headless corpse dressed in tattered armor. That much Lázárus expected, though he had been quite surprised when Máté had first told him about it.

On the wall above the corpse was a faint inscription in Greek characters. It appeared to have been painted in some brownish pigment, though Lázárus knew it to be dried blood. And unlike the first time he had seen it, he could read what it said. He'd spent many years first figuring out the language, and then translating the words.

Underneath the inscription was a single line in Latin:

XXXIII ANNI

"Thirty-three years," he whispered. How time flew.

To prepare himself, he sat down in the center of the room, facing away from the ancient corpse. He laid his book and several other instruments on the floor in front of him, and then closed his eyes in prayer.

priest-2.jpg

He was halfway through a rosary when he heard an oddly resonant voice say Don't you think an exorcism is the last thing you want to be doing just now?

"Get thee behind me, Satan," the old priest said fervently.

For the record, the voice answered, I already am behind you. And I'm not Satan, nor one of his minions. Try again.

"You!" Lázárus spat.

Yes, you do know who I am, don't you? Just as I recognize you. Hello, Cornelius.

"Decebalus," Lázárus sighed.

Decebal, please. I never liked what you Romans did to my name. And I must say I'm surprised to see you. We must both be over a thousand years old by now, but you don't look a day over sixty.

"I'm sixty-three."

Really? And when, exactly, did you turn Christian? The Servius Flavius Cornelius I knew would never have had anything to do with that pompous Hebrew sky god with delusions of grandeur.

"I converted just before I died the first time."

The first time? Oh, so that's how you did it. I was wondering. But I though you Christians didn't believe in reincarnation.

"You know fully well why I'm still here," Lázárus snarled. "It was your curse that kept me returning here for twelve lifetimes."

My curse? Oh, I see. Your soul must have gotten caught in the fringes of the binding spell. I didn't actually intend for that to happen. But then, I didn't intend for my own soul to get caught in it either.

"You mean I'm here by accident?"

Sorry, old boy. But at least you got to keep coming back to life, instead of being a headless ghost for centuries.

"I thought I was here to look after the binding."

No, sorry, that's my job. Which would have been much easier if you hadn't cut off my head, by the way. And that Emperor Trajan of yours didn't even have the decency to have my skull gilded and turned into a drinking cup. He just tossed it on the nearest dung heap and forgot about it.

"Still, though, the binding needs some repair, and I don't see how you're going to do it."

What do you mean?

"Many people have reported seeing a red-eyed man."

Oh, so He's loose, is He?

"Not entirely. But He's free enough to enter people's dreams and cause the White Death."

Well, what do you expect? Even the best binding spell is bound to get a bit leaky after a few centuries. You can't keep these things in prison forever. As it is, I gave you a thousand years of peace.

"They've hardly been peaceful."

Imagine what they'd have been like if I hadn't done it.

"Still, you had to kill an entire village to do it."

That's exactly why I had to do it. You didn't have the stomach for it. If I had let you Romans take care of it, He would have been free within a decade, and It wouldn't have been far behind. But what was your solution? Station a legion on top of the thing for a couple of centuries, and then leave.

"I never left."

So why come back inside now, after nine and two-thirds centuries?

"The Pechenegs are coming."

Oh, them. Yes, they worship It, believe it or not. If they take this place, you've got trouble.

"The trouble could be sooner than that. The bishop wants everyone to take refuge inside the tower. He's told the villagers they'll be safe here."

And I thought only the Greeks had a talent for irony.

"So I have to do something about Him, before He has all of those minds to play with."

Which brings us back to what I said before. You don't want to be doing an exorcism. Or is there something else in that Christian missal of yours?

"This isn't the Roman missal."

So it isn't. That's my old book! You found it!

"Now will you stop pestering me so that I can do this?"

I hope you brought enough blood. It takes a lot, you might recall.

"I have the best kind of blood," Lázárus said, picking up a clay flask.

What, the blood of the grape? That's not going to work.

"It's the blood of the Lord, Jesus Christ himself."

Oh, I see. But that whole body-and-blood thing, do you really believe it? Haven't you always wondered why it still tastes like stale bread and cheap wine?

"It is not the appearance that changes, but the true nature."

Right, right. Have you forgotten who you're talking to? I'm a ghost, Cornelius. True natures are all I can sense. And that stuff there, old man, is nothing but cheap Macedonian wine, and is not going to get the job done. But you probably still have enough blood.

"What do you mean?"

Just be careful about how you do it. I put my sword through a lung, which gave me about an hour to do the ritual before I passed out. That was just barely enough. Go for the liver instead. That should give you three or four hours.

"No. I can't do that."

Why not? Oh, right, that whole unforgivable sin thing. Look, do you really think you'll wind up in Hell if you kill yourself? If this works, you'll wind up right back here like you always have.

"There must be another way!"

Short of dragging some innocent in here and gutting them, no, there isn't. Well, you could use someone who's guilty instead, I suppose. That wouldn't make any difference to Him. But you can't do that either, can you?

"I'm sorry. There are some things I just can't do."

Well, maybe I can help, then.

"How?"

But then Lázárus felt something strike his midsection. There was a sharp, excruciating pain, and a ripping sound. He screamed in agony. He looked down, and saw blood flowing freely from a deep wound in his side.

There, that should do it. You have at least three hours. Get to work!

Gyulyafehér, Hungary
Feast of the Nativity of Saint John the Baptist, 1073 AD

For the first time in years, Attila didn't have any dreams about the man with red eyes. He cried, because he knew that meant Father Lázárus wasn't coming back, ever.

But he didn't have much time to cry about it, because they were making everyone pack things up and take them to the tower. He took a basket of eggs from the kitchen with him when he went inside. With all of the people there, it wasn't as scary as he expected.

He decided to go exploring before anyone caught him and made him do more work. He climbed the stairs to the top of the tower, where nobody else had gone yet. That probably meant that it was a good place to hide.

Then he found Father Lázárus. He was in the middle of a big room, in a pool of blood. He was very pale, and very still, and his eyes were cloudy. Attila knew that meant that he was dead. There was some writing on one wall, but since Attila couldn't read, he didn't worry about it much. There was another dead body, too, but it looked like it had been dead a long time.

Attila saw that the dead priest was clutching a big black book against his chest. If it was a Bible, he knew that Lázárus would want him to take it back to the church. So he took it out of the dead man's hands, which were cold and stiff.

Attila took a quick look through the book. It had more than just words in it, it had pictures, too. They didn't look like they were pictures someone would draw in a Bible, though. He decided he'd better find a place to hide the book until he learned how to read, so that he could figure out what it really was. So he took the book and found the best hiding place he could for it.

Everyone was upset when someone else found Father Lázárus that night. Some of them wanted to leave the tower, saying that a ghost had killed the old man. But it was much too late for that. The Pechenegs had moved faster than anyone had expected, and were already burning the village.

Reactions:
Decebal and Cornelius working together? w00t?

I hope the Cornelius can return quick enough to get a hold of the book.

Reactions:
Well, this is absolutely rivetting stuff.

I'm very glad I decided to venture into the Crusader Kings AAR forum, you write in a fascinating manner. Really looking forward to seeing where this winds to from here, & especially what Attila does with the book. Especially when Cornelius is old enough to concern himself with these matters after his next re-incarnation...