• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Iron-Chef: ..The Führer would see that Germany be first among nations to harvest the power of the atom.

i have always refused to use the atomic bomb. i don't think it is implimented properly in the game.

Iron-Chef: ...steady advance in the East and Italian suported Turkish divisions isolated the Baku oil fields from the now oil-starved retreating Soviet armies.

as my son would say, "impressive"! ! :D

Iron-Chef: ...For Stalin, when defeat came, it would be a bitter peace indeed.

splendid! ! :cool:

anonymous4401 said:
What of the fine arts of MS Paint? The program I use for all my screenshots. :nods:
Yeah... I use "judiciously cropped" MS Paint screenshots for my AAR... And I just got an award for graphics! ((snickers))

Actually, I do put a fair amount of time into editing and picking the right screenshots, and combining shots or adding explanation when necessary. But still...

If I want a whole screenshot in the AAR I resize them to about 75-85% of normal. Otherwise, I just lop off the sides until it's about the right size.

Iron-Chef said:
True, but how do I resize the rest of the page so I dont get large white borders around my cropped screens?
Use the little handles on each 1/2 way mark along the edge. I know it's a hassle, and it's sometimes hard to find, but... I edit lots of these.

Rensslaer

Im sad to say that for the time being both my AAR's are on indefinate hold, due to the fact I am changing my host family here in Switzerland in two days and I dont really know what my access to computers/internet will be like with the new folks, that said I will be aiming to finish both sometime in the (near) future.

Thanks for your support

Iron-Chef

Ah well, how can I keep myself away! Rome was great, needless to say much pizza and gelati were consumed and pretty girls were courted, a good time was had by all. Now Im back and will update a bit before I leave for the next family.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. The war was not going well at all. American forces had broken through into southern Vichy, despite the presence of a sizable Axis force in the area and the war in the east dragged on. To reduce the activity of partisans and free up garrison divisions for much needed work elsewhere, Hitler decided against his better judgment to allow the two ethnic groups of the Ukranians and the Bellorussians to have their own nations. The Ukraine indeed would soon prove a powerfull puppet due to the vast industrial works and iron deposits found in the area. The locals were, on the whole, glad to be given even this nominal form of independance under the protection of the Reich and viewed the Germans as liberators rather than conquerors.

ukrain6to.png

Russian resistance was, on the whole pittiful, with the Red Army but a shadow of its former self. However tough terrain made the going slow, but it was just a metter of time untill German Panzers entered an undefended Stalingrad.

enterstalingrad5hg.png

With all major Soviet cities under German control and their former territories of Ukraine and Belloruss declairing independance, cooler heads in the Soviet leadership prevailed. Stalin was deposed only weeks after the city bearing his name was taken and peace was signed. Sadly, the peace did not bring all the gains Hitler had originaly planned, indeed all territory held by the Turkish Empire was to be granted back to the Soviet Union on the proviso that the nation required a Black Sea port. The Japanese too gained little, some worthless islands and portions of the Kamchatka Peninsula, however German needed the peace, and so promises were made to the incenced Turks and Japanese that they would be more than compensated in material wealth from the German-Russian territories in echange for the poor terms. The new European order was nearly complete. All of Poland and the Baltic States were annexed outright into the Reich. The provinces of Occupied Russia would be given semi-autonomy within the Reich under the "Duke" Kiril Romanov, Finnlands territory was greatly expanded, and two new nations had been brought to the Axis. However, the war was far from won.

bitterpeace8mt.png

Now the full might of the Wermacht could be tuned on stemming the American breakout. Rommels Panzer Army as well as significant numbers of Hungarian troops arrived in France, succeeding in pocketing 5 American devisions that had crossed the border from American held Barcelona.
After several weeks of hard fighting the Americans were pushed back into Spain with heavy losses (around 9 divisions) however the sheer weight of numbers the Americans could bring to bear negated even this victory. However more German tanks, troops and planes were arriving from the Eastern Front every day, and the captured Russian industry began to be put to use for the betterment of the Reich. Partisans still proved to be a problem, and further garrison divisions were ordered to be deployed to Russia.

The Americans had been bloodied, but they were far from defeated.

I don't know if anyone else notices the same, but it always seems to me that posting is slower on a friday than other days.

Time to redeploy those troops westward!

German mastery over Europe was now complete, with the defeat of the Soviet Union and the ousting of Joseph Stalin, the Heer and the Lufwaffe had been re-deployed en-masse to the Spanish front, Hitler would see the Americans kicked from Spain no matter the cost.

The Germans could muster some 80 divisions in the Pyrannese supported by some 20 Hungarian infantry and a further 7 Cavalry divisions, all of whom had proven themselves able fighters against the Soviets. In addition, the Italians, Turks, Romanians, Bulgarians, Spanish, French and English all had sizable armies in the area, and as such on a purely numertical standpoint the Axis outnumbered the Americans by 3:2. However the armies of many of the Axis minors, especialy Romania, were fitted with poor equipment and in many cases worse training, and as such they could be expected to do little more than hold the line while the German Panzers and Panzergrenadier units engaged the American armor and infantry in offensive combat.

A montage of the Spanish Campaign​
[

spanishcampaignsmall3no.png

Spain was to become a deathtrap for the Americans. Despite fighting valiantly, the superior strength of the German tanks would prove decisive. With the U-Boats of the Kriegsmarine patrolling the Spanish coast, ensuring no sizable evacuation or reenforcment could be made, some 130 American divisions in Spain were reduced through combat and areal bombardment untill all that remained were pockets in Seville and Portugal. While sizable, these armies were surrounded and out of supply, and soon were forced to surrender.

All of Spain and Portugal were now back in Axis hands. The Spanish returned Amsterdam, the temporary site of the Spanish capital during the darker days of the US assult, to the Germans, and the massive German armies in Spain were pulled back into Germany to rest and be refitted. Before any major withdrawl could be made the Americans staged two disasterous amphibious assults, resulting only in the annhilation of a further 7 divisions. The American public could only mourn the terrible loss the nation had endured in Spain. While at first the Americans had made great progress, even threatening Vichy, the natural barrier of the Pyrannese mountains had contained the threat. In all, some 140 American divisions had been completly destroyed, their soldiers laying dead on Spanish and Portuguese soil or walking into a German POW camp. American losses therefore would not be counted in the thousands, or even the hundreds of thousands, but the millions. 1,400,000 Americans never left Spain.

In the aftermath, Potugal, which had been under a liberal American administration for over a year, was divided into Italian and German zones of occupation, as the people were loath to accept the return of the harsh dictatorship present before the American invasion. When resistance had been crushed, the Germans would allow the Portuguese to return.
(This is just me covering for some bug here, for Portugal, whenever either I or the AI recovers a province that had been taken from Portugal they keep it rather than giving it back, any idea whats going on here guys?)

Hitler now made plans for further strikes against the US. The military might of the United States had been serverly blunted in Spain, however the US did not lack manpower and its vast industrial base would see these losses recouped within a year. Thus the time to strike was now.
The Heer had been outfitted with 8 new Marine (II) divisions, equiped with the new Luchs (IV) light tanks and the newest artillery. It was decided that a forward base would need to be siezed before any invasion of America could be launched. Thus two Marine divisions were landed in Iceland, quickly overwhelming the one undermanned Motorised division stationed in Rekjevikk. The cost of the landings however would be high. The Kriegsmarine screening force, including three of the navies four carriers, was intercepted by a vastly superior US Carrier Force and completley annhialated before any attempt to flee could be made.

defeatatsea3hf.png

Hitler was furious, he was losing faith in the worth of carriers, as now six of the Kriegsmarines massive ships lay on the bottom, that said, a run of three new carriers (IV) was ordered.

The Americans could boast a massive 19 Carriers, while Germany now had only one, the UK two and Japan nine, the Americans still ruled the seas.

Japan was still having troubles defeating the Chinese, despite this some inroads had been made as Japanese forces returned from the Soviet front. The two German Fallschrimjager divisions in China succeeded in capturing the island of Hainan. In other news, Hitler and the rest of the German high command mused, it was hard to keep a bad dog down as Stalin returned to the USSR as its head once more after precious few months of the new government. (Seriously, after the Bitter Peace event Stalin was removed by a new more moderate government, I come back three months later and look whos back in the new Kremlin, weird)
The Soviets had began militarising the border with the Greater Reich. Despite the massive losses in territory, Soviet industry had come through greatly unscathed due to Stalins decision to move heavy industry east of the Urals (Russian IC remains at around 130/200), and there were those in Germany who wondered how long Stalin would wait before attempting to regain the losses he had suffered.

The state of affairs in Asia

asia8kh.png

Hungarian units were shipped to Iceland just as the new Fascist Republic of Iceland declaired its independence from the Reich, Hitler gave his blessings as huge numbers of troops and ships began to amass in Rekjevikk.

iceland4wa.png

America would have to be hit hard sooner rather than later before the advantage won in Spain was lost.

Please don't take this as a diss against your AAR... but you misspelled the title. It's Reich, not Riech. Reich is German for 'empire', Riech is German for 'to smell'... well, fully translated the title says "The Thousand Year Smell" :rofl:

:rofl:

Anyway, that naval battle really ended your naval ambitions, did it not? I would say put more resources into the Luftwaffe to bomb the USN into oblivion.

Also, congratulations in the East.

All in all, an excellent series of updates!

Please don't take this as a diss against your AAR... but you misspelled the title. It's Reich, not Riech. Reich is German for 'empire', Riech is German for 'to smell'... well, fully translated the title says "The Thousand Year Smell"

Yes, the venerable Gen. Gauderan, whos name I shall continue to misspell for the time being, made me aware of that early on, you can see its no longer spelled that way for the AAR, simple mistake, maybe I can fobb it off as comic genious at work? :)

very nice update! shame about losing the core of your kriegmarine :( maybe you should make more carriers and sweep the seas with them...:)

Iron-Chef: ...The Kriegsmarine screening force, including three of the navies four carriers, was intercepted by a vastly superior US Carrier Force and completely annihilated before any attempt to flee could be made..The Americans could boast a massive 19 Carriers, while Germany now had only one, the UK two and Japan nine, the Americans still ruled the seas.

the key word is superior. you need to have superior CVs as well as superior tech and some NAV bombers would help a lot! ! ;)

Iron-Chef: ...In other news, Hitler and the rest of the German high command mused, it was hard to keep a bad dog down as Stalin returned to the USSR as its head..(Seriously..weird)..and there were those in Germany who wondered how long Stalin would wait before attempting to regain the losses he had suffered.

bummer. just remember to keep an eye on the beast in the east! ! :wacko:

Iron-Chef: ...America would have to be hit hard sooner rather than later before the advantage won in Spain was lost.

yep! ! :cool: excellent updates! ! :D

Iron-Chef: ..an updates been here for three hours and no comments..

i can't speak for others, but, in my case i can't respond if i ain't here! ! ;)

Releasing Iceland... But won't that mean that your Iceland-based troops will have to be supplied by tiny Iceland? And if Iceland runs out of supplies, your troops starve...

Releasing Iceland... But won't that mean that your Iceland-based troops will have to be supplied by tiny Iceland? And if Iceland runs out of supplies, your troops starve...

I like Iceland, I just sent them a shiteload of supplies, energy, oil etc so they will be fine :)

Nice turning the tables in Iberia. Pretty nasty naval battle, but surely just a minor setback.

Just caught up, and shame 'bout the carriers.

Just caught up, and shame 'bout the carriers.

It was even more of a shame when I accidentaly left my entire fleet sitting outside Wilhelsafen (however you spell it) packed to the britches with tanks for the Canadian invasion only to have every ship but two heavy cruisers sunk by a fleet of 7 US CV's. This prompted me to reload despite not having saved in two months. GAH :wacko:

Iron-Chef: It was even more of a shame when I accidentaly left my entire fleet sitting outside Wilhelsafen (however you spell it) packed to the britches with tanks for the Canadian invasion only to have every ship but two heavy cruisers sunk by a fleet of 7 US CV's. This prompted me to reload despite not having saved in two months. GAH :wacko:

not to mention the slowing effect that will have on the AAR! ! :(

Yes, a slowing effect it has had indeed, actually it looks like around 3 months of no posting, time to rectify that situation. UPDATE! *The AAR Rises like a pheonix from the ashes of innactivity!*

Once again disaster had befallen the forces of the Axis, and once again blaim could be laid squarely on the shoulders of the Kriegsmarine. The German Navy could muster only two opperational carriers to face the 17 the US could put to sea and thus any ocean borne invasion of the US would carry a huge risk. Axis aircraft showed a massive concentration of American naval power off the Canadian coast, despite that however Hitler was forced to give the go-ahead for Opperation Iron Hammer, the invasion of Canada and the US from the newly won bases in Iceland. Two German marine divisions supported by three Hungarian infantry divisions made a landing on the Labradore Coast, quickly subduing the Canadian infantry division guarding the beaches.

Further reinforcments in the form of five Panzer Divisions and a further 30, 000 Hungarian infantry were waiting for transport from Rekjevikk and the transports imidiantly set off from the Canadian coast to ferry in new men and tanks to the beachhead. These plans were quickly sunk as two US Carrier task forces comprising of 3 and 4 carriers respectivly intercepted and gravley damaged the German transport fleet, sinking one transport and forcing the fleet into Rekjevikk harbor for repairs. No further forreys to sea could be attempted while the US carriers ruled the waves.

News soon reached Berlin that the German and Hungarian divisions in Canada had been overpowered by US reinforcments and forced to surrender. Furious, Hitler ordered the construction of no less than 6 newly developed type V carriers to challenge the Americans control of the waves. Further developments in recent months had lead to the first Turbojet Ground Support planes and Turbojet Interceptors delivered to units of the Luftwaffe. In mid 1944 the German airforce carries a significant technological advantage over the remaining nations of the Pacific Alliance. German atomic researchers also completed the second to final atomic tech, bringing the massive power of a split atom that much closer to the Reich.

Diplomaticaly huge changes have occured in the past month. Firstly Baku was ceded to the resergent Turkish Empire as repatriations for their fighting against the Soviets in the Caucasus and the once great city of Leningrad ceded to the Finns.

Our long time allies the Romanians foolishly attempted to retake the territory lost to them under the Vienna Treaty and on Hungary's dismissal of these claims, our two allies were soon at war. It was decided that Romania must be swiftly punnished for this breech of the treaty and Von Manstein and Gauderans Panzer Armies were quickly dispatched to the Romanian-Hungarain front. Romanian soldiers proved no match for German panzers and the much higher class Hungarian infantry and with Bucharest surrounded but well intrenched by close to 30 Romanian divisions Karol I was brought to the negotiating table. Romania would return to its pre-conflict boundries and once and for all renounce its claims on Transylvania and in return no further terratorial consesions would be demanded from the defeated party and Romania would once again be allowed full entrance into the Axis, albiet with German "advisors" packing the Romanian Kings parliament. (Romania accepts peace as a German puppet)

europeml8.png

The Political shape of Europe following the Romanian Crisis and shortly before the incorporation of Switzerland into the Reich.​

An ultimatum was likewise sent to the Swiss, they could join the Axis or face destruction. The Swiss, long proud of their independance closed the passes through the Alps, sending Hitler a brief letter of regection and mobilizing their substatial armed forces. However the pure brunt of 60 German divisions including the latest Standart Panzer divisions made short work of the Swiss mountain defences and within a week Switzerland was partitioned between Germany, France and Italy.

All that could be done now is to wait, it would be some time untill the first German Carriers rolled off the production lines and untill then, the sea was the domain of the Americans. Several runs of new Naval Bombers were laid down and delivered to counter this threat, however untill the new German ships arrived, little could be done save wait.